Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Celebrity grave visiting

Who's grave have you visited in LA? I've been to Marilyn Monroe's, Natalie Wood, Debbie Reynolds, Carrie Fisher and Liberace.

by Anonymousreply 70October 16, 2019 3:29 AM

I saw a few at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery: Valentino, Cecil B. deMille, Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney, DeeDee Ramone, Hattie McDaniel, Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and Sr., Tyrone Power, Mel Blanc.

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2019 4:05 AM

Jelly Roll Morton is buried in LA. I want to visit his grave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2019 4:09 AM

Sharon Tate, Bela Lugosi and Rita Hayworth at Holy Cross.

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2019 4:11 AM

Harlow in the Great Mausoleum Forest Lawn Glendale.

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2019 4:12 AM

The most exciting ones for me were actually at cemeteries in Paris and London: Proust, Colette, Oscar Wilde, Sarah Bernhardt, Balzac, Chopin. It's hard to find Jim Morrison's, since they've taken down a lot of the graffiti pointing you to his grave, and I don't care much about him, so I didn't bother.

In London, I visited Highgate Cemetery, which is an absolute must-see: one of the biggest, densest, and most atmospheric cemeteries I have ever visited, covered in ferns and dripping with moss. I saw Marx's tomb (which has an enormous bust of his head), George Eliot's, Beryl Bainbridge's, Christina Rossetti's, Douglas Adams's, Radclyffe Hall's, Lucian Freud's.

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2019 4:24 AM

This will sound totally random, but I visited Emil Jannings' grave in Austria recently. I never liked that nazi fatso much but his grave is pretty much the only point of interest in the small Austrian village of Strobl.

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2019 4:40 AM

Not cemetery, but every Halloween when I lived in LA I would go to the Viper Room and leave flowers in remembrance of River Phoenix. He was cremated and his ashes dispersed in Florida, so there isn’t a grave to visit. I would usually listen to Natalie Merchant’s song “River.”

Young and strong Hollywood son

In the early morning light

This star fell down

On Sunset Boulevard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2019 4:58 AM

Take a drive up the coast to a beautiful rural cemetery and visit Edie Sedgwick in Santa Barbara.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2019 5:01 AM

I’ve driven by Sandy Hook a few time and visited the Natalee Holloway murder suite in Aruba

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2019 5:05 AM

Go out to Westlake Village to visit Karen in the Carpenter Mausoleum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2019 5:06 AM

R1

I believe that the one for Hattie McDaniel at HOLLYWOOD FOREVER is actually a cenotaph. She is buried elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2019 5:11 AM

I took my parents to Oakwood Memorial Park in Chatsworth, CA to shop for their plots, and we took a little tour, stopping by the final resting places of Fred and Adele Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Gloria Grahame, and Stephen Boyd.

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2019 5:12 AM

Jim Morrison, Yves Montand & Simone Signoret (they are buried together), Oscar Wilde, Emmanuelle Riva (she's is a small cemetery in Paris in an unmarked grave that thankfully a fan had placed at photo of her on it), Yasjuiro Ozu (Japanese film director) in a cemetery in small town near Tokyo - beautiful area, Tyrone Power, Jean Harlow. Spent the better part of a day a few years ago looking for Japanese film director Kenji Mizoguchi's grave in a cemetery in one of the outer suburbs of Tokyo only to discover he was fucking buried in Kyoto which wasn't on my itinerary as I'd been to Kyoto years ago.

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2019 5:12 AM

Sharon Tate, Divine, Mildred Natwick

by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2019 5:14 AM

My parents are at Inglewood Cemetery right near Ray Charles, Etta James, Cesar Romero, Betty Grable and LaWanda Page. I do enjoy going to their sites when I pay my respects to my parents.

by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2019 5:16 AM

Ingmar Bergman's on the island of Fårö, about 2-3 years after he passed. The worker tending the cemetery was hot.

by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2019 5:20 AM

My aunt is buried right near Frank "Crazy Guggenheim" Fontaine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2019 5:30 AM

Anyone been to Jimmy Savel's grave? Apparently relatives with loved ones buried near him want Savel removed. Actually putting him in with his good friend Margaret Thatcher would be a good move.

by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2019 5:48 AM

Heather O'Rourke

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2019 5:53 AM

I went to Edie Sedgwick's family section, "The Sedgwick Pie," in Stockbridge, MA

Bruce Lee's and Brandon Lee's graves in Seattle, WA

Jimi Hendrix's grave in Renton, WA

Marion Davies, Jayne Mansfield, and aforementioned celebs in Hollywood Forever Cemetery

by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2019 6:00 AM

[quote] Anyone been to Jimmy Savel's grave? Apparently relatives with loved ones buried near him want Savel removed. Actually putting him in with his good friend Margaret Thatcher would be a good move.

They erected a huge kitschy gravestone on Savile's (not Savel) grave but after that scandal broke out they quickly dismantled that monstrosity and his grave is now unmarked. Good riddance!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 12, 2019 6:05 AM

WHOSE graves!!!!! OP must have been visiting too many graves, but never been to school.

by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2019 6:14 AM

This ain't no grammar class, fuckface!

by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2019 7:10 PM

Presidents Kennedy, Reagan and Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 24October 13, 2019 4:05 AM

Left cigs and Roses for Bette Davis

Roses for Lucy

Roses for Diana

Been to Marilyn , Frank Zappa , Donna Reed, Liberace .

George and MARTHA, JOHN and John Quincy Adams , Andrew Jackson , JFK and JACKIE and Robert .

Elvis

Marjorie Merriwether Post

Shakespeare and all those in Westminster.

All the Monarch's in Windsor

Henry VIII and his dearly beheaded.

Franklin and Eleanor and Fala

Want to see Ava in NC.

by Anonymousreply 25October 13, 2019 4:40 AM

^ Sorry , I got carried away .

by Anonymousreply 26October 13, 2019 4:41 AM

R25, you mentioned John Adams (Great) but left out his splendid wife Abigail who is beside him.

Yet you mention both JFK and his wife.

In the scheme of history, Abigail is head and shoulders above Jackie.

by Anonymousreply 27October 13, 2019 6:35 PM

Jackie was our greatest first lady!

by Anonymousreply 28October 13, 2019 7:06 PM

Jackie was our greatest first lady!

by Anonymousreply 29October 13, 2019 7:06 PM

R28 and R29,

Saying it twice doesn't make it so.

by Anonymousreply 30October 13, 2019 7:08 PM

After a respectful amount of time, say 100 years. We should dig up our past presidents and first ladies just to see what they look like.

by Anonymousreply 31October 13, 2019 8:00 PM

R31 if there’s a contest, I’m sure Eleanor will be easy to pick out with those teeth.

by Anonymousreply 32October 13, 2019 9:29 PM

I wonder if there is even anything of George Washington after more than 200 years.

by Anonymousreply 33October 14, 2019 12:49 AM

Went with a friend to see Bette Davis at Forest Lawn. We toasted Bette with a shot of whiskey and then we both smoked a cigarette right in front of her tomb. I'm sure Bette would've loved it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 14, 2019 12:57 AM

Charles Bukowski

by Anonymousreply 35October 14, 2019 3:00 AM

R1 must be lying. Judy Garland is buried in Westchester County, NY.

by Anonymousreply 36October 14, 2019 5:31 AM

I don't think so, R36.

See below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 14, 2019 1:44 PM

Her remains were moved in 2017 R36

by Anonymousreply 38October 14, 2019 1:50 PM

Can some one find me?

by Anonymousreply 39October 14, 2019 1:52 PM

Johnny Mercer and Margaret Mitchell in Georgia.

by Anonymousreply 40October 14, 2019 1:59 PM

Bruce and Brandon Lee in Seattle,WA.

by Anonymousreply 41October 14, 2019 2:05 PM

I've sort of visited Montgomery Clift's. There's a very small, old Quaker cemetery tucked into Prospect Park in Brooklyn. It's been there since before the park was built, and the Quakers refused to cede the land, so it's still there, fenced off and out of the way. In order to get in, you have to be a Quaker and have a reason to go there. However, we were lucky enough to find out about a tour. The Quaker guide said Montgomery Clift was buried near where we were standing, but his grave would be nearly impossible to find unless you knew where it was, and as a matter of policy they would not point it out.

by Anonymousreply 42October 14, 2019 2:07 PM

Where is Charles Bukowski buried?

by Anonymousreply 43October 14, 2019 2:07 PM

"Go out to Westlake Village to visit Karen in the Carpenter Mausoleum."

I heard she weighs more NOW than she did when she was alive...

by Anonymousreply 44October 14, 2019 2:08 PM

Karl Marx

George Eliot

Anthony Schaffer - has a big magnifying glass on his gravestone!

by Anonymousreply 45October 14, 2019 2:09 PM

Grace Metalious at the far edge of a small cemetery in the New Hampshire town where she wrote Peyton Place.

by Anonymousreply 46October 14, 2019 2:52 PM

Thanks, R46.

Another of those women who died young after becoming famous.

Both died as a result of alcoholism.

Grace Metalious was 39.

The other I was just reading about, after another viewing of 1944's "The Uninvited", was Gail Russell who died at 36.

by Anonymousreply 47October 14, 2019 3:05 PM

R47, and Barbara Payton, 39, of "acute pulmonary congestion with focal pulmonary hemorrhage due to portal cirrhosis" (heart and liver failure). She was a mess. Her autobiography "I Am Not Ashamed," detailing her plummet from Hollywood ingénue to broke down prostitute, prompted Barbara Stanwyck to quip, "She jolly well ought to be!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 14, 2019 5:25 PM

Dying from booze when you're only in your 30s. Wow. That sounds like it would have to be daily drinking from morning to night.

by Anonymousreply 49October 14, 2019 7:43 PM

Although they don't allow it I plan to visit George Michael's grave when I visit the UK.

by Anonymousreply 50October 14, 2019 7:49 PM

The Romanovs in St. Petersburg were the most fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 51October 14, 2019 7:50 PM

[quote] I've been to Marilyn Monroe's, Natalie Wood, Debbie Reynolds, Carrie Fisher and Liberace.

Well you sure don't need to worry about your "gay card" being taking away from you.

by Anonymousreply 52October 14, 2019 8:18 PM

I had a 5 hour layover at LAX a few weeks ago so I got an Uber over to Hillside Memorial and visited Suzanne Pleshette, Al Jolson, Aaron Spelling, Michael Landon, Shelley WInters. Then I got an In n Out. It was a nice way to kill a few hours, really nice cemetery actually, very peaceful. I haven't been to any other celebrity graves.

by Anonymousreply 53October 14, 2019 8:40 PM

^ efficient

by Anonymousreply 54October 15, 2019 2:24 PM

Edie, Elvis, JFK, Randy Rhoads, Jim Morrison

by Anonymousreply 55October 15, 2019 2:38 PM

I've been to Paris and seen many of the graves previously mentioned. Also seen Ava Gardner's in smalltown NC as she grew up in the very same county my dad did. Henry, William and Alice James in Boston along with the rest of their family.

by Anonymousreply 56October 15, 2019 2:43 PM

So how do you find the graves once at the cemetery? Walk into the office and ask for the celeb’s plot number? Or are they on a reader board with lights

by Anonymousreply 57October 15, 2019 6:35 PM

JAMES DEAN IN FAIRFIELD, INDIANA, typical midwest small town.. buried on the farm he grow up on which is literally a stone's throw away and the great dennis stock photos were taken of him on that farm that have been seen in book form...

amazing and scary that the farm has LITERALLY not changed in 60 plus years from the time of those photos, only now one can see the area IN COLOR and in person.. i find it fascinating how on one hand it's so long ago and on the other hand isn't..

of course there is the james dean museum and other stores where you can buy merchandise..

by Anonymousreply 58October 15, 2019 6:43 PM

been to marilyn's in the wall resting place, natalie wood's nearby which i found SHOCKING in that's it's your very basic "plaque" in the ground and nothing more.. wouldn't have known it was there and would have stepped on it, but their were tons of potted flowers and what not all around it, so i knew it had to be someone of fame and importance. what ole cheap robert wagner couldn't splurge for a REAL tribute?....

billy wilder, mel torme, walter matthau next to jack lemmon there, also dorothy stratten.. and really cool was one of the times i went there i happen to see and say hi and she said hi back to me billy wilder's widow! how cool is that!..

by Anonymousreply 59October 15, 2019 6:48 PM

R57, in Ava Gardner's case, there are markers pointing the way. In others, you can just look up an online map. And for some, you just stumble upon them by dumb luck.

by Anonymousreply 60October 15, 2019 6:53 PM

R58, I saw the guy who ran the James Dean museum on FX decades ago and he was really cute.

by Anonymousreply 61October 15, 2019 7:00 PM

When I decided to pop over to Hillside I just googled and got a map showing the famous graves. I’m guessing every graveyard has those maps online.

by Anonymousreply 62October 15, 2019 7:33 PM

R59

[quote] natalie wood's nearby which i found SHOCKING in that's it's your very basic "plaque" in the ground and nothing more.. wouldn't have known it was there and would have stepped on it, but their were tons of potted flowers and what not all around it, so i knew it had to be someone of fame and importance. what ole cheap robert wagner couldn't splurge for a REAL tribute?...

Sometimes a cemetery will restrict the type of grave marker permitted in a specific sections of cemetery. The question is whether other graves in this section had larger markers or whether the markers were all of a similar size and style.

R57

[quote] So how do you find the graves once at the cemetery? Walk into the office and ask for the celeb’s plot number?

More and more you can find the GPS location of the grave on the findagrave.com memorial. For the Natalie Wood record, you will find a "Show Map" link on her entry. Hovering over the link will show the GPS location. Clicking on the link will bring up a Google map, specifying the location.

by Anonymousreply 63October 15, 2019 8:14 PM

Caroline shouldn't have robbed us of being able to go to JFK Jr's grave.

by Anonymousreply 64October 15, 2019 8:42 PM

One Halloween, the day he died, I went to visit Harry Houdini’s grave in an orthodox cemetery in Queens, and then went north to Westchester county and the Catholic cemetery to visit his wife Bess, splitting the two bouquets of flowers between them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 15, 2019 10:01 PM

[quote] The Romanovs in St. Petersburg were the most fascinating.

I visited those too. And I still remember how some Danish diplomat fell into the Dowager Empress' open grave when they moved her there from Roskilde in 2006, giving us this macabrely funny shot:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 15, 2019 10:26 PM

Claude Rains at the tiny Red Hill Cemetery in Moultonborough NH.

by Anonymousreply 67October 15, 2019 10:45 PM

My ex was a huge B-52s fan so we visited Ricky Wilson’s grave in Athens, GA. I’d like to go visit JonBenet and Patsy some time, since they’re not far from me,

by Anonymousreply 68October 16, 2019 12:08 AM

Never been to a cemetery in LA, but I've visited many in New York, Chicago, Boston, New Orleans. Tons of interesting gravesites, and I usually set a day aside after a business trip to wander around the cemeteries in the towns I visit. Just dropped off to say hello to Al Capone last Friday in Mount Carmel Cemetery in Hillside, IL.

by Anonymousreply 69October 16, 2019 12:22 AM

R69, there are lots of Italians buried in Mount Carmel.

When the various immigrant groups settled in Chicago, Italians tended to settle straight west from downtown. Therefore, many Italians are in this cemetery west of the city.

Capone was originally buried in Mount Olivet Cemetery on the far south side of Chicago.

Also buried in Mount Carmel is actor Dennis Farina. And one victim in the 1929 St. Valentine's Day Massacre as well as one suspected shooter in the St. Valentine's Day massacre.

by Anonymousreply 70October 16, 2019 3:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!