Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jagged Little Pill

The summer of 1995 was the summer of Alanis Morrissette.

Singles were time-released perfectly so each song dovetailed with the one before. It became an inescapable soundtrack that no other female singer has matched since, with the exception of Katy Perry "Teenage Dream."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128September 2, 2020 3:27 PM

Being unique in the way Katy Perry is unique is every woman's dream.

by Anonymousreply 1October 10, 2019 4:16 AM

Angry White Female would not be a committee approved title today. Feels too privileged.

by Anonymousreply 2October 10, 2019 4:19 AM

My God, Jagged Little Pill defined my life in 1995. I have never been so obsessed with a record.

by Anonymousreply 3October 10, 2019 3:24 PM

My life was in major upheaval when this album dropped. I don't know how I would have coped had I not been able to "disappear" with Alanis. Bless her.

by Anonymousreply 4October 10, 2019 3:32 PM

It was perfect for the time but the album hasn't aged well. I much prefer her Under Rug Swept.

by Anonymousreply 5October 10, 2019 3:46 PM

Katy Perry?

Lololol.

by Anonymousreply 6October 10, 2019 4:19 PM

As anyone seen the musical with Jagged Little Pill music? It was shown in Boston and is now coming to Bway

by Anonymousreply 7October 10, 2019 4:35 PM

I was in college at the time and everybody had this CD.

by Anonymousreply 8October 10, 2019 6:07 PM

I really thought this was 1994.

by Anonymousreply 9October 10, 2019 6:13 PM

Blew then. Blows today.

by Anonymousreply 10October 10, 2019 6:16 PM

Come on Over (Shania Twain) actually sold even more than Jagged Little Pill. Crazy to consider it solved over 20 million in America--those are Thriller-level numbers.

by Anonymousreply 11October 10, 2019 7:36 PM

Literally everyone owned that CD

by Anonymousreply 12October 10, 2019 8:15 PM

Jagged Little Pill was a real "moment" for Gen X. Everybody had it. And then Alanis just seemed to disappear.

by Anonymousreply 13October 10, 2019 8:27 PM

"Would she go down on you in a theater?" seemed so scandalous to hear on the radio.

by Anonymousreply 14October 10, 2019 8:31 PM

R13 that's because she stopped working with Glen Ballard and her music sucked after that.

by Anonymousreply 15October 10, 2019 8:43 PM

I think the rise of Britney and co. was the bigger dealbreaker. All of the 90s chicks like Alanis were over when that happened.

by Anonymousreply 16October 10, 2019 8:52 PM

[quote]Jagged Little Pill was a real "moment" for Gen X. Everybody had it. And then Alanis just seemed to disappear.

Adele is really the only female artist to have a massive album who went on to serve longevity. Taylor Swift has had longevity, but she never had an album that was beloved by both gay and straight, and male and female audiences. I think it's because straight audiences are extremely fickle and they move on to other artists after one or two albums. This is especially true with female artists. Straights quickly dropped Alanis, Katy Perry and Lauryn Hill after massive albums. I think the same thing will happen to Billie Eilish, who's career is similar to Alanis.

Unless a female artist has a big gay following, they don't usually have longevity. Gay fans are the most loyal and they will stick with an artist for decades.

by Anonymousreply 17October 10, 2019 8:54 PM

Hopefully Billie Eilish will be a one-album wonder.

Lauryn Hill never did a second album, she had major personal/mental health issues and just went off the rails.

Very true about female artists needing a big gay following to stay in the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 18October 10, 2019 9:00 PM

[quote]Gay fans are the most loyal

Unfortunate, because the gays have the worst taste in music.

by Anonymousreply 19October 10, 2019 9:04 PM

[quote]Billie Eilish, who's career is similar to Alanis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 10, 2019 9:35 PM

R15 Her music has been consistent for nearly 25 years. Jagged Little Pill fit in with what was happening in music at the time. The next album was a departure, which she learned from. Under Rug Swept was a return to form, but the music industry had fully embraced pop while alt-rock was fundamentally corrupted by Blink-182 and Nickelback. Listen to songs like Hands Clean, 8 Easy Steps, or Underneath. Each would fit right in with the stuff on Jagged Little Pill.

by Anonymousreply 21October 10, 2019 9:52 PM

"Adele is really the only female artist to have a massive album who went on to serve longevity."

Did you have a brain tumor for breakfast?

by Anonymousreply 22October 10, 2019 9:53 PM

I was just out of college and JLP was everywhere and I absolutely hated it until I heard "You Learn" which was the fourth single, released more than a year after the album was released. I fell in love with that song and bought the CD and then fell in love with the entire CD. Thanks, Alanis!

Alanis seemed to expect to be considered rock royalty when every American knows that you have to earn it, you can't just demand it after one hit album. She seemed shocked that all of her later albums weren't blockbusters. Oh well, she's rich and happy in the suburbs now.

by Anonymousreply 23October 10, 2019 9:57 PM

I am exactly the same age as Alanis (born a few days apart) and I hated that fucking album and her hideous voice. Give me any of the other "it" girls from that era over horsefaced Alanis.

by Anonymousreply 24October 10, 2019 10:01 PM

R10 is Fiona A.

by Anonymousreply 25October 10, 2019 10:03 PM

Clichéd contrived claptrap for pseudo-intellectuals. If this album defined you, that's tragic!

by Anonymousreply 26October 10, 2019 10:07 PM

Please regale us with your enlightened musical oeuvre r26.

by Anonymousreply 27October 10, 2019 10:31 PM

r26 was moved to tears by Oops I Did It Again and Believe

by Anonymousreply 28October 11, 2019 1:36 PM

Settle down, Francis. It’s just pop music.

by Anonymousreply 29October 11, 2019 3:11 PM

"You Oughta Know" really lost its edge when we found out (well blow me down! in the theater) it was about Joey from Full House.

by Anonymousreply 30October 11, 2019 3:17 PM

She fucked Ryan Reynolds in his prime

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2019 3:47 PM

Alanis and Dave Coulier

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2019 4:21 AM

She recently had another child, at age 45.

by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2019 4:39 AM

We'll fast forward to a few years later

And no one knows except the both of us

And I have honored your request for silence

And you've washed your hands clean of this

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2019 4:45 AM

How well known was it outside of Canada at the time that Alanis was some sort of a teen pop princess before the studio turned her into an angry rock chick?

by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2019 4:55 AM

She was on You Can't Do That On Television, which was a very popular show in the US.

by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2019 5:24 AM

She always seemed so dirty and unwashed to me: Ewww.

by Anonymousreply 37October 12, 2019 5:36 AM

If Gaga's Fame Monster was released then, it would have outsold JLP. Adele's 21 did beat it. And both have huge careers a decade or so later. I was in grade school when Alanis was huge and I couldn't stand her music. But, it was everywhere for sure. Give me Liz Phair any day.

by Anonymousreply 38October 12, 2019 7:11 AM

Liz is just as fake as Alanis

by Anonymousreply 39October 12, 2019 2:09 PM

Liz Phair was always niche for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 40October 12, 2019 2:12 PM

I loved them album as a preteen gayling. I listened to it a few years ago though and realized that it was never very good. The only 90s chick music singers that hold up for me are Tori Amos, Fiano Apple and Sarah McLachlan. I really like Melissa Ethridge too, but her music was harder edge and more closer to tranditional rock than the rest of the Lilith Faire crowd.

by Anonymousreply 41October 12, 2019 2:49 PM

Alanis's last 2 albums were infinitely better than JLP.

I thought SFIJ was also a great departure and more mature offering but it was not as well received by the public.

by Anonymousreply 42October 12, 2019 2:54 PM

Alanis Morissette is 45 now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 12, 2019 3:00 PM

She's always had a classic horse face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2019 3:02 PM

I was never a big fan of the Lilith Fair ladies at the time but god do they sound pretty good in retrospect, compared to the whores and pole dancers who pass for singers today.

by Anonymousreply 45October 12, 2019 4:16 PM

It actually sucks having a stellar debut album. You're practically destined for a sophomore slump.

by Anonymousreply 46October 12, 2019 4:46 PM

I couldn't stand her. All my friends had the CD and would turn up the radio whenever her songs came on. They wondered what was wrong with me. Three years later when Thank U peaked at 17, I made photocopies of the Hot 100 and wrote Ha ha! on it before shoving it in their lockers.

by Anonymousreply 47October 12, 2019 4:53 PM

R47 I admire your level of pettiness.

by Anonymousreply 48October 12, 2019 5:08 PM

Comparing JLP to Adele is nonsensical. In the 90s, you had to get your ass off the couch and into Kmart or the mall to buy a record. You couldn’t just press a button on your phone. JLP’s success—she has been a total unknown in the US—is a gigantic accomplishment.

by Anonymousreply 49October 12, 2019 5:22 PM

R49, that's why it amuses me so much when people compare artists in the digital age to those from the physical era. Comparatively, it took so much effort to go out and by albums back in the day. They cost like $12, typically, so you were spending much more than now where you can stream for free on spotify.

by Anonymousreply 50October 12, 2019 5:48 PM

A great record. So many stand out tracks... perfect, hand in my pocket, Mary Jane. And that comment about Katy Perry, rolling laughing at that! Are you for real?

by Anonymousreply 51October 12, 2019 6:48 PM

Exile in Guyville would have never been a huge record like JLP--the production is too "alternative" and the delivery is too deadpan--but it is the superior album, without question. But JLP is a very good pop-rock album, with decently written, catchy songs. I guess JLP was the 90s generation's version of Tapestry?

by Anonymousreply 52October 12, 2019 6:54 PM

[quote]I guess JLP was the 90s generation's version of Tapestry?

Oh hell no. I would pick Fiona Apple's Tidal or Tori's Little Earthquakes over that shit.

by Anonymousreply 53October 12, 2019 7:07 PM

R46 Jagged Little Pill was her third album

by Anonymousreply 54October 12, 2019 7:55 PM

Tori Amos should've been a big star, but her material and persona were too niche for the mainstream. Unfortunate, because she put out some great music in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 55October 12, 2019 9:45 PM

College orientation packages in the mid 90s included this album and condoms.

by Anonymousreply 56October 12, 2019 9:52 PM

R35 I didn't know back then, but I found out a few years later watching some music special on her. Supposedly, JLP was her angry rebellion against the perfect image she was forced into. I don't know how true that is but whatever. My favorite songs from the album are "Head over Feet", "Perfect" and "Your House" which was a hidden track. She performed an acapella version of Your House at the VMAs (I think) and it was haunting and mesmerizing. Her voice is an acquired taste but she was definitely an interesting talent. Someone like her wouldn't get signed today which is why I miss the heyday of 90s female singer/songwriters. Most of my friends couldn't stand her though. They thought she was a lame rip-off of Ani Difranco but I didn't see the connection.

by Anonymousreply 57October 12, 2019 10:19 PM

R57, Your House was amazing. The version on the album was acapella and very mesmerizing. The last album I remember listening to with a hidden track was Stories from the City with This Wicked Tongue.

by Anonymousreply 58October 12, 2019 10:21 PM

It’s one of those albums that was amazing, but SO overplayed that to this day I rarely listen to any of the songs.

by Anonymousreply 59October 12, 2019 10:23 PM

I still like Ironic. I know, that's embarrassing. But I still like it.

by Anonymousreply 60October 12, 2019 10:25 PM

All I really want was another great track

by Anonymousreply 61October 12, 2019 10:28 PM

[quote]She always seemed so dirty and unwashed to me: Ewww.

Everyone seemed like that during the grungy 90s.

by Anonymousreply 62October 12, 2019 10:40 PM

She was not a pretty girl.

by Anonymousreply 63October 12, 2019 10:41 PM

[quote]College orientation packages in the mid 90s included this album and condoms.

And Dave Matthews’ tickets.

by Anonymousreply 64October 12, 2019 10:42 PM

I used to listen to Ironic on the headphones at Borders Books and Music.

by Anonymousreply 65October 12, 2019 11:09 PM

The musical features a black, non-gender-conforming lesbian teen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 13, 2019 6:48 AM

She kind of peaked with her first album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 14, 2019 3:02 AM

R49 R50 The counter argument is that in the age of piracy and streaming, most people don't bother paying for an "album" anymore when you can listen to the music for free or by subscription. Adele's numbers are, in fact, more impressive than Alanis' because she managed to sell big Diamond certified sales today as opposed to in the 90's where a "flop" sold a million copies. Today, Alanis wouldn't put anywhere close to those numbers if she was a new artist now. In comparision, if Adele had been around and released 21 in the 90's, she'd have easily surpassed Michael Jackson's Thriller numbers making her the best selling artist of all time and incurring his wrath. It's an apples to oranges comparison, but Adele is not someone who should be discounted, even though she made her success without much gay support.

by Anonymousreply 68October 14, 2019 3:42 AM

Adele's album was a huge hit because is wasn't just teens and people in their twenties who were into it. It was that rare album that a lot of forty-plus people were also streaming/buying, it appealed to a diverse age demographic. Even my Boomer relatives and their friends, who have no interest in modern music, were into it. That doesn't happen very often.

by Anonymousreply 69October 14, 2019 3:57 AM

Alanis was just as much of deliberate and producer influenced and created marketing persona as Katy Perry.

by Anonymousreply 70October 14, 2019 4:06 AM

R68, that's a great point actually. She did it in an age where albums going 4x platinum is considered incredible. The fact that she has even outsold Like a Virgin, True Blue, Jagged Little Pill, etc. is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 71October 14, 2019 12:34 PM

Although I don't agree she would have easily surpassed Michael Jackson's Thriller numbers. I don't think those numbers have any chance of being surpassed, ever.

by Anonymousreply 72October 14, 2019 12:35 PM

this album was overwrought junk.

"thank you" on the other hand is a beautiful landmark song.

by Anonymousreply 73October 14, 2019 12:58 PM

A positive thing about the success of 21 is that Lady Gaga was no longer the world's biggest pop star. Gaga was overdoing it with the whole freaky look taken to extremes, "love yourself the way you are" crap and pretentiousness in general. And nobody would have ever predicted the success of 21, even in hindsight, it seems incredible. Thank you Adele :-)

by Anonymousreply 74October 14, 2019 1:16 PM

Adele is so fucking boring. Nobody will look back at her success as any sort of industry bellwether, it's just more of the same pleasant music that's been popular with nans and grans for generations. Alanis, on the other hand, was a totally unexpected smash that brought young female anger to the attention of the masses.

Lots has been written and will be written about the "You Oughta Know" but nothing will be written about "Hello."

by Anonymousreply 75October 14, 2019 1:33 PM

Beautiful Derek Klena sings from JLP. He will do the Broadway show:

Way better than rain on your wedding day, Broadway's Jagged Little Pill will see Elizabeth Stanley (On the Town), Kathryn Gallagher (Spring Awakening), Celia Rose Gooding, Derek Klena (Anastasia), Sean Allan Krill (Honeymoon in Vegas), and Lauren Patten (Fun Home) reprising their roles from the musical's American Repertory Theater premiere in summer 2018.

Also returning to the show are Antonio Cipriano, Yeman Brown, Jane Bruce, John Cardoza, Laurel Harris, Logan Hart, Max Kumangai, Ezra Menas, Kelsey Orem, Nora Schell, Kei Tsuruharatani and Ebony Williams. New to the company are Heather Lang and Ken Clark.

As previously announced, Jagged Little Pill will officially begin performances November 3 at the Broadhurst Theatre, prior to a December 5 opening. Tickets are now on sale on Telecharge.

The musical, helmed by Tony-winning A.R.T. Artistic Director Diane Paulus, weaves the songs of Morissette and Glen Ballard's Grammy-winning 1995 album (plus new material) with a book by Oscar winner Diablo Cody (Juno) to tell the story of a multi-generation, multiracial suburban family grappling with a series of distressing events.

Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui recently earned an Elliot Norton Award for his choreography of the world premiere engagement, which also featured orchestrations and arrangements by music supervisor Tom Kitt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 14, 2019 1:37 PM

R75, her music isn't really memorable, you're right, but I thank her for ending Lady Gaga's peak. She was really fucking irritating during the Born This Way era.

by Anonymousreply 77October 14, 2019 1:40 PM

R73 thank you is one of her worst songs, and one of the worst videos ever produced.

by Anonymousreply 78October 14, 2019 2:27 PM

There was an article a few years ago about how Jagged Little Pill was the real conception of Girl Power and was then built on/given a massive boost by the Spice Girls.

"So you like a girl who thinks really deep thoughts. What's so amazing about really deep thoughts? Boy you best pray that I bleed real soon. How's that thought for you?"

Jagged Little Pill build on the foundations laid by Little Earthquakes and Little Earthquakes built on the foundations laid by Kate Bush.

by Anonymousreply 79October 14, 2019 2:39 PM

R78 Oh, God. I forgot about that horrible video until now. She has a weird body.

by Anonymousreply 80October 14, 2019 3:57 PM

Little Earthquakes was a fantastic album.

by Anonymousreply 81October 14, 2019 4:17 PM

R79, the Tori and Kate Bush comparison is so forced. Tori Amos (and Liz Phair) sang about more "feminine" things than Kate Bush, Bjork or PJ Harvey, in a more feminine way (no aggressive rock music). The only songs that really reminds me of Kate Bush on Little Earthquakes are the title track and Happy Phantom. Everything else seems pure Tori. A great album, regardless.

by Anonymousreply 82October 14, 2019 4:22 PM

I always saw Alanis as the mainstream version of early 90s indie artists like Liz Phair, Kathleen Hanna, PJ Harvey, The Breeders, etc. Tori never came to mind.

by Anonymousreply 83October 14, 2019 4:28 PM

[quote]In comparision, if Adele had been around and released 21 in the 90's, she'd have easily surpassed Michael Jackson's Thriller numbers making her the best selling artist of all time and incurring his wrath. I

Adele’s music is a cooler, bluesier version of Adult-Contemporary and Easy Listening. She would have had a lot more competition in the 1990s, so no, she wouldn’t have sold Thriller levels.

by Anonymousreply 84October 14, 2019 6:02 PM

Seriously. Adele would've sold more than Celine Dion as that is her real predecessor in frau music. Comparing her to Alanis makes zero sense.

by Anonymousreply 85October 14, 2019 6:47 PM

Adele was like Norah Jones - she sold to an older audience that still bought albums at a time when album sales were rapidly declining, and that made her success notable. I'm not sure she would have been as big a phenomenon in the 90s, when the music industry was more robust. But who knows.

by Anonymousreply 86October 14, 2019 7:00 PM

Adele sold a shit-ton because her peers are mostly talentless whores. The contemporary musical landscape is so bleak, Adele seems like a musical genius in comparison.

I agree that if Adele had been around in the 80s or 90s she would've had a lot more competition. She still would've been successful in those decades, but not as acclaimed and lauded like she is now.

by Anonymousreply 87October 14, 2019 7:36 PM

...and to think it's all because of Madonna

by Anonymousreply 88October 14, 2019 10:05 PM

R88, I'm curious as to how many millions Madonna got from that album. A ton, I'm sure! I remember Alanis being interviewed and asked about Madonna, and she said something like " she was very nice to me....at least, initially". The interviewer didn't dwell more on that comment and choose to move on but I found that an interesting comment.

by Anonymousreply 89October 14, 2019 10:56 PM

When JLP was kicking ass on the charts, I remember reading that Madonna gifted Alanis with a rolex or some expensive watch as a 'thank you' for the success of the album.

by Anonymousreply 90October 14, 2019 10:59 PM

Alanis is a wonderful performer with an amazing voice. I love her songs that she writes, too.

by Anonymousreply 91October 14, 2019 11:45 PM

I wonder if Madonna was a little peeved that Alanis was outselling her by such a margin in the mid-90s.

by Anonymousreply 92October 14, 2019 11:54 PM

[quote]Adele was like Norah Jones - she sold to an older audience that still bought albums at a time when album sales were rapidly declining, and that made her success notable.

More accurately, they both appealed to a white and affluent audience. They were the darlings of middle/upper-class moms and white-collar men. Their white fans can afford to buy albums. Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran also fall into this category.

But these artists are not the most listened to. You have to look at streaming numbers to see who the most listened to artists in the world are, and none of these artists listed are at the top. Most people around the world cannot afford to buy albums, so they stream.

by Anonymousreply 93October 14, 2019 11:55 PM

Teenage Dream was not on the level of Jagged Little Pill, but nice try, Katy.

by Anonymousreply 94October 14, 2019 11:56 PM

Who fucking cares r93? We're talking about US sales.

by Anonymousreply 95October 14, 2019 11:56 PM

Inescapable soundtrack? OP is high as a kite! Jagged Little Pill was mall angst. Color-by-numbers formulaic sap, hand-crafted by Glen Ballard, the same guy who wrote mainstream corporate pop for Wilson Philips, Michael Jackson, Goo Goo Dolls, Katy Perry, and so on, and played by studio musicians. It was made for girls aged 13 through 17, and spoiled women who didn't have their shit together yet.

Inescapable soundtrack, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 96October 14, 2019 11:59 PM

R95, Album sales are no longer a relevant metric in 2019.

by Anonymousreply 97October 15, 2019 12:00 AM

R96 maybe not living on your own private lily pad bopping around to Robbie Williams

by Anonymousreply 98October 15, 2019 12:17 AM

It's not so much that people can't afford to buy albums now - they managed to buy a lot of them in the 70s, 80s & 90s, and they weren't any cheaper (relatively) back then. But the internet fucked everything up. Young people (who used to be a big part of the market) stopped buying albums first, because they're the ones who knew how to pirate stuff. Now everyone just streams, and a lot of people don't even own the equipment to play physical records anymore. Vinyl is projected to outsell CDs, but it's still a niche market, and the often absurd prices for new vinyl reflect that. Physical albums just aren't a desirable commodity for most people anymore, and paying for downloaded files will never have the same appeal.

by Anonymousreply 99October 15, 2019 12:19 AM

[quote]Jagged Little Pill was mall angst.

Perhaps, but it was phenomenally successful mall angst. There were 6 or 7 singles that seemed like they dominated radio for years.

by Anonymousreply 100October 15, 2019 12:20 AM

r97 you know what I meant.

by Anonymousreply 101October 15, 2019 12:29 AM

Katy Perry is buying and selling mansions in LA without living in them, so apparently Teenage Dream sold a few copies.

by Anonymousreply 102October 15, 2019 3:49 AM

Alanis is definitely one of my favourite artists - I love her singing voice (which I can understand/accept isn't for everyone) but more so her song writing. I also love the way she sings certain lines, stretches out words, puts breaks where they ought not to be - I don't think anyone else does it the way she does.

Jagged Little Pill was definitely an iconic album and a huge musical touchstone for me as an early teen. I listened to it over and over. Then Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie came out and I just didn't connect with it at all. I liked a couple of the tracks but overall felt it was a disappointment. When I listened again years later I loved it so much more. I think I was too young for it when it first came out. Although I love a few tracks from JLP (All I Really Want, Head Over Feet) overall I prefer SFIJ as an album. I would say it's my favourite of hers now (I have them all on CD and I've seen her live so definitely a fan).

by Anonymousreply 103October 15, 2019 10:55 AM

Remember seeing her perform the whole album at a club in NYC called "Tramps". It was such an amazing concert. Her drummer was Taylor Hawkins who went on to be in Foo Fighters. Always found him cute. Also remember my friend reaching up to pass me a beer and David Pirner, lead singer of Soul Asylum, walked under our arms. We both did a double take. I miss knowing who was who in music. Guess it's part of getting old but I don't know anyone anymore.

by Anonymousreply 104October 15, 2019 12:45 PM

I think Alanis was in a happier less angry space when she put out "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie". That album didn't connect with a lot of people 'cause the rage from JLP wasn't there.

by Anonymousreply 105October 15, 2019 4:18 PM

"how about them transparent danglin' carrots" killed her career, yet it's such a great line.

by Anonymousreply 106October 15, 2019 4:36 PM

I genuinely loved hearing "Thank U" on the radio, awkward lyrics and all, even though I never really cared for her in the years when Jagged Little Pill was everywhere. For some reason I only started to appreciate her when she was no longer popular.

by Anonymousreply 107October 15, 2019 5:03 PM

Everybody in 1995-96 either owned this album or they were one degree of separation away from somebody who did.

by Anonymousreply 108October 17, 2019 8:12 AM

Her English teacher should have slapped her viciously for not knowing the meaning of the word "ironic".

by Anonymousreply 109October 17, 2019 8:34 AM

Looking for a lover for one night. My naked photos and videos here - na­.­to/gayfottos

by Anonymousreply 110October 17, 2019 8:43 AM

Ugh, I spent the entire summer trying to convince my friend that Alanis Morrisette was not previously known as Jane Child.

by Anonymousreply 111May 4, 2020 6:39 PM

I have friends who think Alanis is an Ani Difranco rip-off. Other than being women who sing about their personal lives, I really don't see the similarities.

by Anonymousreply 112May 4, 2020 6:46 PM

I was 5 when it came out and even I remember it as being inescapable at the time. One of those rare, huge blockbuster albums that transcends the fanbase and becomes a part of the public consciousness. A huge cultural moment (in a way that more vanilla artists who sell this well or even better - like Celine Dion or Adele or Whitney with the Bodyguard or even Norah Jones - never really achieve). I can remember slews of articles being written about female rage and sexuality (remember magazines?), the various singles spending about 2 years reigning on the charts, her polarising vocal cadence, the controversial lyrics, live TV performances....

I don't love it as much any more (and became more of a Liz Phair / Courtney Love / PJ Harvey / Tori Amos gay) but it's certainly still a fun and nostalgic listen and brings to mind that mid-90s bohemian coffeehouse period that no longer exists. Driving in the car on really hot days trying to belt the highest notes in "All I Really Want" until our voices were sore.

The Lauryn Hill album mentioned upthread was another staggering blockbuster. Looking back now I can't believe how young she was to be combining all those musical styles and singing (and rapping) incredibly deep lyrics with that profoundly beautiful voice.

As much as there was corruption behind the scenes, a bevy of trashy teen pop singers, and the artists themselves were being swindled by the executives, we were so spoiled with the CD pop era of the 90s. There was something for everyone, generally strong musicianship on the albums, big budgets being poured into music videos...... little did we know that we were witnessing the last days of the music industry actually spending money on music! No wonder there is little around today that sounds as good.

by Anonymousreply 113May 11, 2020 5:48 PM

R92 why would she be? Madonna made more money of of Jagged Little Pill's sales than Alanis did

Alanis herself said this in interviews, after it was huge, Alanis renegotiated her contract with Madonna and Maverick for future albums, which came nowhere near JLP's sales

And by 1998, Madonna was back outselling Alanis globally with Ray of Light vs. Supposed Infatuation Junkie

by Anonymousreply 114May 11, 2020 6:39 PM

She was the anti-Mariah in 96.

We don’t know her.

Glad she’s a recluse.

by Anonymousreply 115May 11, 2020 7:25 PM

Well said R113. Couldn't agree more.

by Anonymousreply 116May 11, 2020 11:45 PM

She was very Janet-esque in her pre-JLP days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117May 12, 2020 9:11 PM

Grace by Jeff Buckley hasn't aged well, either. It's something about the production - maybe that CD tinniness - that gives it an oddly flat sound.

by Anonymousreply 118May 12, 2020 9:47 PM

R117 JLP was such a pivot from that! She's giving me Paula Abdul realness lol. I wonder if she always wanted to make darker, more alternative music and just got stuck in a teen pop contract, or if Glen Ballard really teased it out of her.

R118 The songs themselves hold up (as does his stunning voice), but I agree the production has a tinny, shimmery quality that almost sounds cheap now. A few 'rock' albums of the period have similar sounds. 'Last Goodbye' escapes unscathed for me, though.

by Anonymousreply 119May 13, 2020 1:11 PM

Wow, am I old. SO much to say about Alanis?????

I'm a "Tapestry" girl.

by Anonymousreply 120May 13, 2020 1:54 PM

It's so funny how Alanis Morrisette and Sarah Mclachlan (both Canaduan) started their careers as these pop/rock teen queens before settling into a "serious", more introspective sound. It's like if Debbie Gibson had given up her pop sound to become PJ Harvey.

by Anonymousreply 121May 14, 2020 10:20 AM

“Hands Clean” is probably the best song about sexual abuse and the grooming process ever written. I remember when it came out, I was in high school and starting to deal with something similar that happened to me. It was like a sucker punch to the stomach because it was so dead on. It’s also incredibly pop-driven and catchy. I still get emotional listening to it now.

This is a great thread. I made a playlist of all my favorite Alanis songs and I’ve been jamming out to it for the past two days. I really like her new single “Reasons Why I Drink” too.

by Anonymousreply 122May 14, 2020 11:56 PM

Hated the first screech of her phony, lazy, shallow tripe and am glad she's now out of favor with the twats who pretended to be inspired by it.

by Anonymousreply 123May 14, 2020 11:59 PM

I had that CD (bought used from CD Warehouse, memba that?) and she always seemed whiny. I was a bigger Sheryl Crow fan.

by Anonymousreply 124May 15, 2020 12:11 AM

These songs were everywhere in 1995 and 1996. Alanis was probably even bigger in 1996.

by Anonymousreply 125September 2, 2020 7:08 AM

Hands Clean is a great song. I forgot it didn’t feature on Jagged Little Pill

by Anonymousreply 126September 2, 2020 9:07 AM

I liked the album in the mid 90s, but it’s almost unlistenable now other than for nostalgia.

The other huge Canadian stars of that time (Celine, Shania, Sarah) made music that ages much better.

by Anonymousreply 127September 2, 2020 10:42 AM

I hear that, r27. There is a very dated early-mid-90s rock production sound. See also Jeff Buckley’s Grace album.

by Anonymousreply 128September 2, 2020 3:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!