Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's October; share your scary stories.

Things that go bump in the night? Things you saw that have made no sense? Unexplainable things on dark country roads or in the woods? (Not Trish Paytas.)

It's that time of year to share.

by Anonymousreply 255November 5, 2019 5:16 PM

But please, no "we later learned the house was built on an ancient Indian burial ground" nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 1October 9, 2019 7:31 PM

There is a cold spot in my kitchen, near an outside wall. It's nearly a 15 degree difference in an area of two square feet. But the scariest thing about it is that it's the same way on the outside of the house, directly on the other side of the kitchen wall; winter or summer.

by Anonymousreply 2October 9, 2019 8:19 PM

Would you like to hear about the Bellagio Horror?

It’s like this, but browner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 9, 2019 8:24 PM

I always enjoy these threads. Sorry I don't have something new to add.

by Anonymousreply 4October 9, 2019 10:23 PM

I used to poo-poo the poo-swallowing stories about Erna as nothing but Datalounge Tom foolery.

But then one night, I found Erna with smeared makeup and her lips glued to the sewage pipe in the basement underneath the stairs.

The shit snacks are coming from inside my house!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5October 9, 2019 10:30 PM

Me too @R4 I have no scary stories which is a good thing. It just makes me a boring guest at parties and datalounge

by Anonymousreply 6October 9, 2019 10:53 PM

When I was an altar boy, the church I served at had a frightful statue of St. Paul -- I swear to God that thing would move on its own. I was on cleaning duty once in the pews and from one minute to the other, that thing swiveled completely to the side, with nobody else around. It was a known thing too. It always had to be arranged back into place. Scared me as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 7October 9, 2019 10:59 PM

Back in the days of yore I was playing a trick on my friend. We were 15 and home alone. With landlines you used to be able to call the house, hang up and it would ring then you could pick it and answer. I did this when my friend wasn’t looking and answered pretending it was a guy she liked.. it was the usual recording and beep on the other end saying to hang up and try your call again. I was pretending to talk to this guy and I yelled out “say hi” and held the receiver in the air. I expected the friend to hear the rapid beeping and I’d laugh but we both heard a really creepy raspy voice say “hello” and freaked out I just hung up. She was laughing and asked me what was wrong. I told her that wasn’t and actual call and we were both freaked out. Strange things always happened when we were together up into our mid twenties. We ended up moving away from each other and still talk but strange things happen to both of us a lot less frequently.

by Anonymousreply 8October 9, 2019 11:11 PM

Seeing a nude photo of Bea Arthur spread eagled.

by Anonymousreply 9October 10, 2019 1:42 AM

I used to think my Coke cans were moving on their own or by a poltergeist. Turns out, it was just the condensation on the bottom of the can that makes it do that. Sure was freaky though.

by Anonymousreply 10October 10, 2019 4:53 PM

Anybody ever been to the Myrtles Plantation?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 10, 2019 6:15 PM

Not really my story and not sure it belongs here, but my aunt lived a block away from where Night Stalker Richard Ramirez did a home invasion and killed a woman. She remembers all of the police and media after. That entire area of SoCal was a ghost town after dark because he had been known to attack at random in the area.

by Anonymousreply 12October 10, 2019 6:28 PM

I worked for a small company in a building that was reputed to be haunted. One weekend I and my assistant had to work on Saturday to prepare a presentation for my boss to present to Wall-Mart. We had to call security to let us into the building since I didn't have keys and there were 2 sets of double locked doors we had to go though. We were told we were the only people in the building and if we left we would not be able to return to our office. We had finished our work around 4 pm and were cleaning up the office we heard footsteps in the hall outside my office then one set of double locked doors open and close. We looked at each other as we heard the footsteps travel down the hall to the doors and decided that cleaning up the office was not a priority and left immediately since it was winter and was getting dark.

by Anonymousreply 13October 10, 2019 6:43 PM

It didn’t happen to me, but... the cleaning lady we used to use for our country house quit abruptly. Ran out of the house and wouldn’t even go back in to get her purse and shoes, her sister had to come. She saw the ghost of my late FIL sitting in his favorite chair, reading the paper, like a year after he died.

He was the sweetest man, but I would have been scared to see him, too.

by Anonymousreply 14October 10, 2019 7:12 PM

That's freaky, R14.

by Anonymousreply 15October 10, 2019 7:23 PM

I’ve seen shadow people three times but they were never terrifying encounters.

by Anonymousreply 16October 10, 2019 8:29 PM

I discovered recently that the 110 year old building I had worked in was converted to rental apts. I wonder if the 2 ghosts were still in the building and if the tenants have any interesting stories.

by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2019 12:23 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 18October 11, 2019 3:41 AM

Where was that, R12?

by Anonymousreply 19October 11, 2019 4:16 AM

In my early 20s I lived in an apartment with 3 other people. We were your typical party people. Barely had any furniture, barely organized. Two guys, both of us gay but platonic, and two straight girls. I don't know if it was the crazy energy we had, but strange things happened there all the time.

The first incident seemed innocent enough. Two of us were watching TV when we saw a medium sized black cat run from the kitchen to the bedroom. We didn't own a cat. We ran to the bedroom and closed the door. The cat had no way to get out. Never found it. And this wasn't just a black blur. We could clearly see it was a sleek, short-hair black cat.

After that, we would come home and find things moved around. Little things like VHS tapes moved from the living room to underneath someone's bed, or personal items in the bathroom not quite in the same place we left them. Pictures taken in that apartment always turned out blurry. A friend of ours refused to hang out at the house. Twice we had people get stuck overnight due to car trouble, only to have the car start up just fine in the morning. When people would stay over they complained of being watched when sleeping on the couch. (The last one we wrote off since one of the roommates had a sleepwalking habit).

The first truly weird event happened when we were all home. The girls were in their bathroom getting ready with the door closed. They were gossiping about a friend of ours who had just done something scandalous or some such nonsense (can't remember what). My other roommate and I were in the kitchen making drinks when the girls stormed in, asking why were eavesdropping. We explained we weren't. They said someone pushed pocket change under the door, one coin at a time. Sure enough, there was about 45 cents on the ground. We were poor and many times had to scrounge just to get gas money, so we didn't leave any change unaccounted for.

The strangest thing happened just before our lease was up. My boyfriend at the time and I were cuddled in the front room when we saw a person in the hallway leading to the bedroom. This wasn't a shadow person or anything like that. It was a person, wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and with long straggly hair. They exited the bathroom and went into a bedroom. We were the only two there. We turned on all the lights, checked the windows, closets, all the doors, and opened all the cabinets. No one was there. Right before we were going to sit down and forget about it, we saw the phantom cat again running toward a closet. In another room, we heard a crash and a bookshelf had fallen over.

We moved out about 3 weeks later. One of the girls and I moved in to an apartment across town. We still saw the phantom cat, but none of the other stuff continued. A friend who claimed to be 'sensitive' told us it guarded us from something, and we had been in real danger at the other place.

by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2019 5:34 AM

I used to babysit dogs for a family friend - I was probably 13-15yo, and loved being able to have an entire house to myself. The couple owned about 13 Daschunds of various shapes and sizes - they were part of a rescue program. They were cool dogs, but with so many of them around, they would feed off of each other’s anxiety - If one dog saw something or heard something, they would all break out into full barking and running around - typical dog stuff.

The wife had mentioned to me at previous times that her sister who had died of cancer sorta haunted the second floor of the house - I never paid it much attention. One night, we were watching tv in the living room and I heard footsteps upstairs. I looked down at the dogs and in unison, all 13 of them looked up at the ceiling silently and their eyes followed the footsteps as they made their way across the ceiling. Not a single peep from any of them.

I never went to the second floor again.

by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2019 5:37 AM

R19, that happened in Rosemead, a suburb in LA County. That same complex of condos (where the murder happened) is still there, btw.

by Anonymousreply 22October 11, 2019 6:16 AM

I'm not saying it was a ghost but my dog definitely saw something I couldn't see one day walking around the grounds of a mental hospital/asylum for the criminally insane. An active one, I'm talking about - not a creepy abandoned one.

He is not prone to barking AT ALL, has literally only barked on a handful of occasions and for the other occasions it was a single bark, just like a "WOOF!" In this situation he stopped suddenly and stared at something (as I said there was nothing that I could see myself) and then began barking incessantly and was visibly disturbed by something, shaking and pacing back and forth. Even after pulling him along he was still turning around and barking in the same direction and it was freaky as hell. I tried to rationalise it as him barking at a squirrel or a bird or a rat or something that I hadn't seen but he's never done that before or since when encountering any wildlife. If anything could convince me that there is something that we as humans can't normally perceive that is definitely it. I've had some other occasions where he's kept looking behind him on walks but there's nothing there which is creepy, but that's the only time he's ever barked like that.

by Anonymousreply 23October 11, 2019 9:20 AM

In my late twenties I was living with my boyfriend. He began to complain of stomach discomfort, which he thought at first was the flu. It didn't go away, so he saw his doctor, who ordered tests. He was diagnosed with stomach cancer, which had spread to his liver. His case was terminal. That was the middle of March, and he died on April 18, at 2: 12 AM. When I got home from the hospital, I found that the clock he kept by the side of the bed had stopped at the precise time he died. I took out the battery and checked it. The battery was fine.

About a month later, I came out of the bedroom and as I was starting down the hallway, I saw him standing at the end of the hall, wearing his favorite shirt, and he was looking directly at me, with a little, smirky smile. Then he simply disappeared. He looked solid and real, not a wispy indistinct phantom.

by Anonymousreply 24October 11, 2019 10:02 AM

Amazing stories. Keep ‘em coming. Thanks OP.

by Anonymousreply 25October 11, 2019 10:12 AM

About a month ago, I woke up one morning and I could hear people in my apartment. I was having the bathroom repainted and I was pissed that my landlord had let them in without letting me know they were coming. Now I didn't hear voices but I could clearly hear the sound of a paintbrush being used on the walls, as well as a bucket being moved from time to time. Eventually I fell back to sleep.

About an hour later I got up and wanted to see how things were going.

There was nobody there. The apartment hadn't been painted at all.

by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2019 10:35 AM

Love these stories.

by Anonymousreply 27October 11, 2019 2:01 PM

Not a ghost story, but a man was hiding out from the police in my family's vast, overgrown shrubbery. I was playing in the backyard when all of a sudden a helicopter started circling around the block, telling everyone to go inside and lock their door. At that very moment, I heard something and saw a man run across my yard and hop the fence over to the neighbors. I had been playing a good hour out there, so who knows how long he had been hiding in that bush...

by Anonymousreply 28October 11, 2019 2:25 PM

Our house is located in a rural area and was once owned by a family who were notorious to the locals for stealing cars and car parts. When we yanked out the carpeting on the first floor there were big oil stains on the hardwood floor.

Guess they liked to work on their stolen goods inside the house.

I can't tell you how many times I have heard the sound of car doors slamming coming from the driveway and when I'd look out the window to see if someone had pulled in I'd find the driveway empty.

My mother was staying with me and she went to meet a friend for breakfast one day. I was alone in the house and sitting in the living room when I heard the faint sound of a woman laughing and talking with someone. The sound was moving closer and closer to the front entrance to the house.

I assumed that my mother had come home early.

Our three cats were also in the living room with one of them sitting on the table near the front door. Then there was the sound of someone pushing on the front door as if they were about to come in.

Every single cat scattered out of the room and, no, there was no one there. Driveway was empty, no one outside or on the porch.

Not long after I was alone in the house and washing dishes in the kitchen when I heard the distinct sound of a woman sighing. She wasn't far behind me.

I should have been freaked out by these two incidences but my reaction was more along the lines of, "Huh. How odd." Guess she's not a scary presence.

My late father said that one night when he and my mother were staying here that my mother went to use the restroom and someone, he felt they were female, came into their room, sat down on their bed and started combing their long hair. He assumed it was my mother until a couple of minutes later when my mother actually came back into the room.

by Anonymousreply 29October 11, 2019 3:11 PM

Best ghost documentary ever made. Some truly great stories here.

"Ghosts on The Underground (London)"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 11, 2019 3:15 PM

'Mysterious voice' led Utah cops to discover child who survived for 14 hours in submerged car after mom drowned

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2019 3:19 PM

I've shared this in another similar thread, but it is the scariest experience I've ever had: When I was in high school, my mom was friends with an elderly woman who lived nearby, whose husband died in their house of lung cancer. She was basically a self-admitted gold digger—he was a wealthy man, and she was in the middle of a dispute over his will and was essentially trying to take it all and leave his children with nothing (she succeeded). After he died, she complained to my mom of numerous bizarre things happening in the house. One day, I went there with my mom to water plants while the woman was out of town. She had one of those plastic frogs on her patio with a sensor that makes a "ribbet" noise whenever someone walks by. While my mom was watering the garden, I was in the living room, and this frog was going off like crazy as though someone were walking back and forth in front of it, but there was nobody there. My mom came in the house several minutes later, and just as we were about to leave, we heard a loud thud/crack noise from the bathroom. We went to investigate, and saw water flooding the floor—the toilet tank had cracked clean down the middle in the back. It was springtime—no frozen pipes or anything. It just didn't make sense.

Eventually, the old woman moved out of the house to a retirement facility, and my mom helped the woman's son pack the house and arrange things for an auction. I remember going over there one afternoon before my evening shift at a restaurant, and was helping carry boxes. I was in the office with the woman's son boxing things up, and we suddenly heard my mom scream from down the hall. We ran to see what happened, and she was just staring into the dining room in absolute horror. We looked, and the chandelier was swinging violently as though someone had pushed it with all their might. It could've just been my physical response (chills, or what have you), but I remember the room almost feeling electric—like there was palpable energy there. It scared the shit out of me, and I quickly left. I'm positive that all of these weird things that happened in that house were caused by the old woman's deceased husband. I think he was angry at her for what she had done with his money, and the fact that she had managed to wrangle it from his children.

by Anonymousreply 32October 11, 2019 6:19 PM

These are my favorite data lounge threads. we had an epic one not too long ago.

If anyone is bored, try the reddit group for creepy encounters too.

by Anonymousreply 33October 11, 2019 6:24 PM

The absolute scariest thing that every happened to me was one day years ago I was walking my dog on Orlando in West Hollywood. I was approached by a very disheveled young man, around my age, with stringy hair. He was dirty and had what appeared to be blood stains on his clothes and hands. He asked for directions to Hollywood and La Brea and I gave him directions. Later that day on the news I heard that a screenwriter was murdered in Hollywood by an intruder high on meth. The next day the same intruder was arrested at Paramount Studios and I saw on the news that it was the same guy who asked me for directions. He had beheaded the screenwriter and I saw him obviously after the murder while he was walking around the Hollywood/WeHo area. It still gives me shivers to this day.

by Anonymousreply 34October 11, 2019 6:30 PM

In 8th grade I was traveling home from my grandma's with my parents. We were at a rest stop on the turnpike. I saw a hot guy in the bathroom, 20s/30s. I went back out to my parents car alone and saw this guy get into a little blue car and drive away. A few minutes later my parents and I were back out on the road and we passed by his little blue car, completely smashed to pieces by a semi. There's no way he survived.

by Anonymousreply 35October 11, 2019 6:38 PM

I think I have told this story on here before....but here goes. True story.

When I was about 8 years old, my parents' best couple friends let us use their A-frame cottage in the Poconos for a week. They were both doctors, so it was a pretty fancy place. I was thrilled because I got to sleep in the loft overlooking the living room. It had one of those metal spiral staircases. My parents stayed in the master in the back behind the kitchen. On, I think, the third night of our stay, there was a terrible storm. It was truly terrifying in what felt like a big glass triangle box in the middle of nowhere.

My parents convinced me we were fine and went to bed. Around midnight, I started to hear someone banging on the door. The storm was still raging. I ran down the stairs to my parents' room and told them what I heard. They told me it was all in my head because of the storm. I got about half way up the stairs and heard the pounding again. This time, I was sure I could hear someone saying "Please help me" really weakly. Tried to convince my parents again, but no dice, This time I just stood in the living room until I was 100% positive I could hear someone saying "Please" over and over again.

The third time I tried, my parents finally believed me or at least wanted to calm me down and get back to bed, so they came out to the living room with me. The pounding started again, but no crying.

My dad opened the door...

And there, on the porch in the pouring rain was a man with a hatchet in his back.

The three of us screamed.

Not so movie-like end of the story...

The man lived next door. There was a branch pounding against his wall, annoying his wife. She made him go out to cut it off during the storm. Since it was so dark, he swung the hatchet backwards so the blade got him in the back. The phones were out, and he thought the doctors were in the house, so he knocked on our door. My dad got him to a hospital, and he was fine.

They sent us a fruit basket the next week.

Pleasant after effect: my parents never doubted me about anything ever again. I got away with murder all through school and college.

by Anonymousreply 36October 11, 2019 6:46 PM

That's a horrifying story, R36, but I like the ending.

by Anonymousreply 37October 11, 2019 6:58 PM

My office was on the 4th floor of a 4 story building my assistants office was next to mine and next to her office was a large room I used as a photo studio to take product shots for my companys' catalogues. There were doors connecting the 3 rooms and you could look from my office into the photo studio. during a meeting in my office with my assistant noticed that I kept glancing into the photo studio. I kept seeing movement out of the corner of my eye in the studio. She told me that she had the ability to communicate with the dead something she said she wished she never had. She told me that there were 2 ghosts in the building, the one on our floor was playful and not malevolent he kept moving and hiding things in the studio. There was another ghost on the 3rd floor which was used for storage of production materials she didn't say much about that one but she would never go onto that floor alone.

by Anonymousreply 38October 11, 2019 8:21 PM

This isn’t really a paranormal thing, but whatever. A bunch of years ago, I had some swollen lymph nodes in my neck and despite never going to the doctor for anything, I thought it wise to check it out. I didn’t have a primary care physician and picked the guy off the (cheapo) insurance website based on proximity and the fact that he was accepting patients. The doctor was this absolutely ancient guy with an office just off Fifth Avenue which was completely decrepit and outdated. It was on the ground floor and had dark wood paneling and diplomas from like 1950 and it was dark and creepy.

The scary part was the nurse. She had waxy skin and eyes like a shark’s. Her affect was very flat and dull. Maybe it was just the creepy old office and the creepy old doctor, but she made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I felt actual malice wafting off of her, and I was trying not to show any fear. But inside, I was fighting my “fight or flight” instinct. I just wanted to GTFO. She was speaking quite normally about my prescription, but I felt like she was going to murder me. The whole time, alarm bells were going off loudly in my brain. DANGER. I’ve only felt this terror one other time, and again, it was just a random person.

I don’t know what it was all about, but it was very frightening. It may have been the setting, but the only time I felt the fear is when she focused on me.

by Anonymousreply 39October 11, 2019 11:08 PM

r33 could you link to the epic thread? I can't find it by searching.

by Anonymousreply 40October 11, 2019 11:49 PM

r40, not a reddit group, but AskReddit. Here are some threads--

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 11, 2019 11:59 PM

Anyone have any good Ouija board stories they'd like to share?

by Anonymousreply 42October 12, 2019 12:03 AM

Once while asleep at my camp in Kalma, I was awakened by the Janajweed, who were taunting me and hitting me with the butt of their rifles. Their faces turned into terrifying crones, and they began tearing off my rags as they threatened to boil me alive and make a meat stew out of me in their cauldron. As I screamed for help, they began cackling and cackling until their shadowy figures turned into wisps of smoke that disappeared into the night. I realized then that I was merely hallucinating from the hunger of several days. Or maybe it did happen? I don't know. It happened frequently.

by Anonymousreply 43October 12, 2019 12:28 AM

Bunny Bixler and I were in the semi-finals - the very semi-finals, mind you - of the ping-pong tournament at the club and this ghastly thing happened. We were both playing way over our heads and the score was 29-28. And we had this really terrific volley and I stepped back to get this really terrific shot. And I stepped on the ping-pong ball! I just squashed it to bits. And then Bunny and I ran to the closet of the game room to get another ping-pong ball and the closet was locked! Imagine? We had to call the whole thing off. Well, it was ghastly. Well, it was just ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2019 12:31 AM

R36 a fruit basket? I guess he did not notice your parents already had a fruit basket that keeps on giving

by Anonymousreply 45October 12, 2019 12:34 AM

R36 a fruit basket? I guess he did not notice your parents already had a fruit basket that keeps on giving

by Anonymousreply 46October 12, 2019 12:34 AM

W&w for r46.

by Anonymousreply 47October 12, 2019 2:09 AM

Once about 20 years ago, I woke up in the middle of the night and my immediate thought, which was quite out of character, was “There’s a ghost in here.” And a second later, before I could digest that thought, my husband, who never wakes up at night, jumped up and got out of bed. I asked where he was going, and he said, “Can’t you see there’s a ghost in here?” He is originally from a country where ghosts are very much accepted as a part of life, but I’m American and brought up without religion or superstition. It was very strange and to this day I can’t explain it.

He splashed around some rum infused with frankincense and myrrh and got back into bed and promptly went back to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 48October 12, 2019 2:40 AM

Watch The Sentinel (1977) in the dark. Great cast and creepy as hell! Bonus: Ava Gardner

by Anonymousreply 49October 12, 2019 2:47 AM

R36, thanks for sharing that one.

by Anonymousreply 50October 12, 2019 5:00 PM

Bump!

by Anonymousreply 51October 12, 2019 7:11 PM

A few years ago my friends 16 year old cat died, he said for the next 2l months when he would get into bed at night he could feel his cat jump up on the bed and walk across the bed in same way as she did in life.

by Anonymousreply 52October 13, 2019 1:28 AM

^^ 2 months^^

by Anonymousreply 53October 13, 2019 1:29 AM

Unexplained bumping sound.

by Anonymousreply 54October 13, 2019 4:07 AM

Whether this went on for 21 months or 2 months, that is still really freaky.

Kitty must've found their way to the other side eventually, they weren't quite ready to go when the time came.

by Anonymousreply 55October 13, 2019 4:11 AM

I’ve had the “phantom cat on the bed” experience several times. I never realized it was so common.

by Anonymousreply 56October 13, 2019 1:42 PM

It's very common, r56. Over the years I've had it happen numerous times. Sometimes the cat walks over my legs, and at least once it curled up beside me.

by Anonymousreply 57October 13, 2019 2:22 PM

R56 One episode of the show 'Stories of The E.R.' featured a doctor talking about the time he had an emergency room patient come in on Halloween night and that he and another doctor noticed a large white dog that had appeared in the doorway of the room where they were working on this one patient.

The dog looked like an all-white German Shepard.

Both doctors acknowledged to each other that saw the dog and then quickly went back to their patient.

The dog just sat in the doorway calmly watching what they were doing. The dog was was serene and well-behaved the whole time and then at one point just turned and walked away.

Once the patient was stabilized the both doctors went out to the waiting area and asked if anyone had brought a white dog with them. Maybe as a part of their Halloween costume?

One guy said that, yes, he his white dog with him. The man and the two doctors went out into the parking lot and the doctors saw that this guy's white dog was small, a different breed and that this dog had been in this guy's car the entire time.

The doctor telling this story began calling around the hospital asking if someone had maybe brought their pet dog or maybe a big white service dog with them.

Nope. Nobody else in the hospital had seen a big white dog anywhere in the building.

The doctor said he had heard that when a pet owner is in distress that sometimes their deceased pets will come back and remain by their side until they are safe.

by Anonymousreply 58October 13, 2019 2:43 PM

Here's a scary story. Hillary running in 2020. That's a block buster scary story.

by Anonymousreply 59October 13, 2019 3:52 PM

Go have some more vodka, Boris.

by Anonymousreply 60October 13, 2019 4:09 PM

Well, you certainly scared me R60.

by Anonymousreply 61October 13, 2019 4:54 PM

A female friend of mine briefly dated the guy that murdered her, and let him crash at her place for a few weeks, until he unexpectedly just left one day while she was at work. We hung out with her at her apartment a couple times while he was there - he was "odd" to say the least, didn't speak much. As far as I know all he basically had was some clothes and a sword collection. IIRC he wasn't working and didn't have a car.

Fast forward a couple years later, some friends and I were down in Columbus, OH for pride, and noticed him gogo dancing at one of the gay bars. Those on here from Columbus can probably elaborate more on this, but I believe he was stripping at the gay bars and doing some dance routines with his swords. Then not long after, this incident happened. Some of the people I talked to afterwards went as far as to say he beheaded her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 13, 2019 6:44 PM

Sorry for your friend @R62 She was a nice and decent person

by Anonymousreply 63October 13, 2019 6:57 PM

I posted this on another "Scary" thread so if it's repetitive, sorry, but it's the scariest thing I've ever encountered.

When I was 4 or 5 years old, my dad would go out of town for work and be gone for a couple of weeks. . Some time after he left, I got up in the middle of the night to get a drink of water in the kitchen. The kitchen was dark but my mom was still up, watching tv in the other room so there was some light streaming into the kitchen.. Since I was so small, I moved a chair in front of the sink and climbed on top of it As I leaned to turn on the faucet, I looked out of the kitchen window and saw someone who looked like my dad, dressed in dirty gardening clothes, standing about 10 feet away from me. I was shocked because it was night time and he was out of town, why would he be there? He was leaning against a shovel over a mound of dirt and looking straight at me, smiling. I felt a horrific feeling shoot through me that this wasn't my dad and that it was something malicious masquerading as him. I literally froze and it took all my might just to move. All I remember was I screamed and fell off the chair. My mom ran into the kitchen and I told her what I saw. Whatever it was disappeared and she believed me, probably because she encountered weird things in the house too. To this day, I get chills thinking about it.

After we moved out of the house, some family friends bought the house. They complained of weird things happening in the house and they believed it was haunted. We learned later that someone had been murdered years ago, in the large closet room adjacent to our bedrooms.

by Anonymousreply 64October 13, 2019 7:39 PM

R63, my friend wasn't killed, Brazon was.

by Anonymousreply 65October 13, 2019 8:43 PM

R38 here I forgot to add another bit about the office, the company owner had a cat which spent most of his time I'm my office and the studio, my assistant took care of him when he was around which was often. When the ghost was in our offices the cat would start to whine to warn us that the ghost was near.

by Anonymousreply 66October 13, 2019 8:45 PM

bump for Halloween

by Anonymousreply 67October 14, 2019 5:50 AM

The house my mother and stepfather lived in was definitely haunted. Although by the time they bought it it was firmly within the suburbs, it had been built in the 1920's as the summer home of a vaudeville magician. The spirit in the house was definitely not malevolent but was very active. It would assume the form of various people, living and dead, and sometimes even engage you in conversation. I once had a lengthy conversation with my stepfather in the basement laundry room. When I was done loading the machines I went back upstairs to find my mom sitting in the family room alone. I asked, "where's Tom?". She replied, "he went to bed over an hour ago". She was not messing with me. He really had gone to bed well before the conversation I thought I had with him. Incidents like that were all too common in that hose.

by Anonymousreply 68October 14, 2019 6:17 AM

OP, I see you. I’m at your window.

by Anonymousreply 69October 14, 2019 6:59 AM

TheNormalP0rnForNormalPeople creepypasta. Look it up.

by Anonymousreply 70October 14, 2019 7:03 AM

Bump without anyone being near it!

by Anonymousreply 71October 14, 2019 9:47 PM

I’m supposed to go visit my homophobic, fundamentalist Christian parents. That is a scary story for me.

by Anonymousreply 72October 14, 2019 10:04 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 73October 15, 2019 6:26 PM

Buuummmppp....buuummmppp....

by Anonymousreply 74October 15, 2019 9:48 PM

OP I know you really want this thread to be a success. I was feeling pressured, so I found you a scary story via the web.

[quote] Who's That Hiding in the Backseat? One night a woman went out for drinks with her girlfriends. She left the bar fairly late at night and started driving home on the deserted highway. She noticed a pair of headlights in her rear-view mirror, approaching at a pace just slightly quicker than hers. As the car pulled up behind her she glanced and saw the turn signal on—the car was going to pass—when suddenly it swerved back behind her, pulled up dangerously close to her tailgate, and flashed its lights.

Now she was getting nervous. The lights dimmed for a moment and then the brights came back on and the car behind her surged forward. The frightened woman struggled to keep her eyes on the road. Finally, she turned onto the exit. The car continued to follow, flashing its brights periodically.

Through every stoplight and turn, the car followed her until she pulled into her driveway. She figured her only hope was to make a mad dash into the house and call the police. As she jumped out of the car, so did the driver of the car behind her—and he screamed, "Lock the door and call the police! Call 911!"

When the police arrived the horrible truth was finally revealed to the woman. The man in the car had been trying to save her. As he pulled up behind her and his headlights illuminated her car, he saw the silhouette of a man with a butcher knife rising up from the back seat.

by Anonymousreply 75October 15, 2019 9:51 PM

Same site.

Some Things Are Better Left Unseen Two dormmates in college were in the same science class. The teacher had just reminded them about the midterm the next day when one dormmate—let's call her Julie—got invited to a party by the hottest guy in school. The other dormmate, Meg, had pretty much no interest in going and, being a diligent student, took notes on the material that would appear on the midterm. After spending all her time flirting with her date, Julie was totally unprepared for her test.

At the end of the day, Julie spent hours getting ready for the party while Meg started studying. Julie tried to get Meg to go, but Meg was insistent that she needed to study and pass the test.

Julie went to the party and had the time of her life with her date. She headed back to the dorm around 2 a.m. and decided not to wake Meg. She went to bed nervous about the midterm and decided she would wake up early to ask Meg for help.

In the morning, Meg was lying on her stomach, apparently sound asleep. Julie rolled her over to reveal Meg's terrified face. Julie, concerned, turned on the desk lamp. Meg's study stuff was still open and had blood all over it. Meg had been slaughtered. Julie, in horror, fell to the floor and looked up to see, written on the wall in Meg's blood, "Aren't you glad you didn't turn on the light?"

by Anonymousreply 76October 15, 2019 9:52 PM

Wish people had some Ouija board stories. Those can be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 77October 15, 2019 10:24 PM

My late father had a good story.

There are five kids in our family and one evening when we were all still pretty young my mother and father were in the living room of the house in south suburban Illinois that we grew up in watching television when a picture suddenly fell off the wall.

My father got up and put the picture back on the wall only to have it fall again a few minutes later. After the fourth time it occurred to my father that all of us had gotten out of bed and were jumping around or doing something that caused the picture to fall.

So, my father crept up to the second floor only to find me and my sisters asleep and when he went into the room where me and my younger brother were sleeping he saw sparks and flames shooting out of an electrical outlet that was located near my younger brother's bed.

My father snatched my sleeping brother out of his bed and managed to put the fire out.

My father always felt that "something" in the house was telling him to go upstairs and check on the kids.

Good thing he did, too, I guess those flames were getting very close to my brother's blankets.

by Anonymousreply 78October 15, 2019 10:31 PM

R78 again.

Another story about the same south suburban Illinois home I grew up in.

My father always knew that my maternal grandfather, my mother's father, never liked him. We also had an old furnace that, when it was on, would cause banging sounds on the old pipes in the house.

Leading up to the days of my maternal grandfather's death my father had taken the furnace apart, completely apart, in order to fix it. A couple of days after my maternal grandfather passed away at an old age due to illness my father was up watching television by himself late one night.

He hears the pipes in the house start banging. He said he brushed it off and thought, "It's just the furnace." Then he remembered that the furnace was not turned on and that it was in pieces in the basement. Then a feeling came over my father that a presence in the living room was there with him and that this presence did not like him one bit.

My father said he turned off the television and basically dove into bed with my mother.

I wonder if grandpa stopped by to finally give my father the "Fuck you!!" he had always wanted to give him in life.

by Anonymousreply 79October 15, 2019 10:39 PM

Where the hell is "south suburban Illinois?" Outside of Chicago? Outside of St. Louis?

by Anonymousreply 80October 16, 2019 12:28 AM

R80 Outside of Chicago. Thirty minutes south of Chicago. (Why the hell would an Illinois suburb be outside of St. Louis?)

by Anonymousreply 81October 16, 2019 12:31 AM

R77, One night when I was 15, I was at a sleepover with two other girls. We decided to use the Ouija board to ask about guys we liked. We had a taper candle in the neck of a Perrier bottle as our only light. Nice and spooky. We contacted a female spirit and asked a bunch of the usual questions. I asked “Does he love me?” and we all swore we heard an actual whisper from the corner of the room hiss “Yessss”. Then later, (don’t remember the question, probably because it wasn’t mine), the candle dropped into the bottle and went out, leaving us in total darkness. We freaked the fuck out and my friend’s mother (a total hippie) came upstairs and yelled at us for messing with that shit.

by Anonymousreply 82October 16, 2019 3:43 PM

R81, because St. Louis is on the Illinois border and there are suburbs of St. Louis in Illinois.

by Anonymousreply 83October 16, 2019 4:09 PM

Love the story about the A-frame cottage. It has everything- strange knocks, strange location, huge thunderstorm, a genuine fright...

by Anonymousreply 84October 16, 2019 4:13 PM

Nobody gives a fuck where south suburban Illinois is, people. Especially since ut has no real bearing on the story. Let it go.

by Anonymousreply 85October 16, 2019 5:52 PM

I used an Ouija board once. It just spelled out profanities and the spirit said that they died in a fire.

by Anonymousreply 86October 16, 2019 7:03 PM

^Did the spirit mention anything about it being a grease fire?

by Anonymousreply 87October 16, 2019 7:14 PM

No R87. They died in a respectable type of fire.

But, oh! I cannot believe he kisses his ghost mother with that ghostly mouth of his!

by Anonymousreply 88October 16, 2019 7:25 PM

I was about 16 or 17 years old and one evening after midnight I went out to our back patio to have smoke (I quit smoking a long time ago). It was a warm summer night and pitch dark out.

Our next door neighbor's house and property were right next to our's and their driveway consisted of this very fine type of gravel stuff.

So, I'm out there relaxing when I heard the distinct sound of someone walking up the driveway and they were walking in my direction.

I chalked up to wind or to it just being a random sound.

The steps continued and I got that hair standing up on your arms spooked out feeling. I got that feeling very strongly. I put out my wretched cigarette and quickly went back into the house and out the incident out of my mind.

Just a couple of nights later the family dog decided to sleep with me. My bed was underneath a couple of windows that overlooked our neighbor's driveway. I woke up after midnight to find the dog awake, alert and nervously peering out of my window.

She was just staring down at our neighbor's driveway with her ears perked up the way dogs do when they hear something.

I tried to gently push her ears back down and told her to go back to sleep. But, she stayed there with her ears up just watching the driveway.

I don't remember exactly what time these two incidences happened but they they that 3 a.m. is the "witching hour" and that you are more likely to experience paranormal activity at that time.

by Anonymousreply 89October 16, 2019 7:55 PM

Johnny Galecki & Sting Trade Serious Ghost Stories

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 16, 2019 7:59 PM

Melissa McCarthy and Ellen Tell Ghost Stories

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91October 16, 2019 8:01 PM

Laura Linney Has Seen a Ghost. Full Stop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 16, 2019 8:03 PM

My aunt was a bit loony, but she did have several things happen to her which can't be explained.

She traveled around the country, and for awhile was in the mountains of Colorado. A nice, clean-cut dude asked her if she wanted to go out for a bite to eat. She was charmed by the guy and almost went, but something else came up and she ended up saying no. A few years later, during his trial, she realized the guy who asked her out was Ted Bundy. She was a pretty brunette with long straight hair, it lined up with when he escaped from prison in Colorado, and she has an uncanny knack to get in the weirdest situation.

by Anonymousreply 93October 16, 2019 9:38 PM

Now that is truly scary R93. Christ, Bundy was evil.

by Anonymousreply 94October 16, 2019 10:10 PM

Giles Corey (d. 1692) was about 80 when he was the first witch arrested in Salem, Massachusetts. The laws were peculiar in those days and his considerable land holdings and wealth were subject to confiscation by the Sheriff if he offered any plea (guilty or not guilty), so he refused to do so.

They tied him down, put a plank on top of him, then started placing heavy stones on the plank, to crush him. They would occasionally stop and ask him if he had anything to plea. Each time he replied “More Weight!”

After a couple days, he died. They hung his wife as a witch a few days later. His son was allowed to inherit everything.

Salem put a plaque memorializing him at the nearby Burying Point Burial Ground, in the tourist area, but he was not killed nor buried there. He was killed and buried in the Howard Street Burial Ground. It is a few small blocks away from the business/tourist area. His and his wife’s graves were not marked and cannot be located today.

Legend is that Giles haunts the cemetery to this day, and is particularly active immediately before a major calamity strikes the City of Salem, which he is commonly thought to have cursed shortly before he died. Notably, he was said to have appeared the night before the Great Salem Fire of 1914.

Access to the Howard Street burial ground after dark is prohibited by law. When asked if this prohibition is intended to avoid antagonizing Giles' ghost, a City spokesman refused to comment.

It is home to a number of other ghosts and lots of homeless people. I assume it’s because an old, inactive cemetery is peaceful and safe, with few living visitors.

Linked is a picture of a spooky tree in the Howard Street Burial Ground.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 17, 2019 2:49 AM

Fun fact. Sometime in the 19th century or there abouts, American Burial Grounds fell out of favor and thereafter, people wanted real, more modern cemeteries, some which might appear to be like an arboretum.

The Boston authorities once decided to “tidy-up” their city-owned cemeteries. They moved headstones around so as to make things more orderly, but with complete disregard for splitting-up families in death.

by Anonymousreply 96October 17, 2019 3:13 AM

I turned on the TV and Trump and Kellyanne were having a news conference.

by Anonymousreply 97October 17, 2019 3:31 AM

We're already living in a scary story with a fat orange monster as our leader.

by Anonymousreply 98October 17, 2019 4:25 AM

My Dad had a small storefront. Upstairs was a decrepit storage area. It was clearly someone’s home, decades earlier.

I was once talking with my GF’s Mother at a party. At some point I remarked that I had a peculiar feeling about the apartment. The feeling was so strong that I almost said it aloud. “Charlotte should have lived here.”, I thought.

I thought it was ridiculous, but then Charlotte‘s Mom surprised me by relating that her family had rented that upstairs apartment for a number of years, when she was young.

by Anonymousreply 99October 17, 2019 5:29 AM

I drove to a nearby shopping plaza at night in the 1980s. The stores were all closed except for the pharmacy. I parked and started towards the Pharmacy entrance.

Then a 4-door sedan pulls up nearby, with two men in suits. The driver hops out. He has one hand in his coat, where I imagine a shoulder holster might be. He kept saving, “excuse me, excuse me”, as he approached. I turned to see how far I was from the store entrance, and how far away that guy was. Then I turned my back to guy and sedan, and quickly walked into the store. Once in the store, like an idiot, I turned to hold the door so that it wouldn’t hit him in the face.

He still had his hand under his coat, still yelling “excuse me...excuse me...” Then he said, “oh, never mind.”. He returned to his car and drove off.

I have absolutely no Idea what this was about, but I think they wanted to rob me, at least.

by Anonymousreply 100October 17, 2019 5:48 AM

It was a hit. They almost got the wrong guy.

by Anonymousreply 101October 17, 2019 5:54 AM

I’m R95. I have visited the Howard Street Cemetery in Salem a number of times as I have family buried there, and I can verify that it is full of ghosts. They like to climb a tree on a far side of the cemetery that can’t be seen from the pic in R95.

The last time, one ghost gave himself away by wearing a top hat. A lot of the dead there died of tuberculosis, so I hope it can’t survive over 100 years.

by Anonymousreply 102October 17, 2019 5:57 AM

[quote] r101: It was a hit. They almost got the wrong guy.

Maybe. Something was just not right.

I was once walking to a club late one night by myself. On my right was a closed storefront followed by a long chain link fence. Up head, I saw two guys in hoodies on my side of the street, approaching. One of them went to cross to the far side of the street. He got to the opposite curbstone, then started to cross back to my side of the street. I had the same sense of danger that I had in R100.

So, I had a barrier on my right. A guy approaching from the front and another from the left. My only escape route, maybe, would be to turn tail and run in reverse direction.

Instead, I unzipped my winter coat. I put my hand under my jacket and pretended to have a shoulder holster. the guy who was crossing back to my side of the street, wobbled, then turned around and crossed back to the other side of the street, and I passed the other guy uneventfully.

by Anonymousreply 103October 17, 2019 6:18 AM

Maybe about five weeks ago, I awakened from a nap at around 3pm and got out of bed to go to the bathroom. Just outside my second story bedroom is a walkway to the right leading to the bathroom just on the other side of my bedroom wall. Also, this is where the stairs are located and they are completely open to the downstairs living/dining rooms. So then, as I made my way to the bathroom, I looked down onto the dining room and saw who I thought was my room mate walking from the dining room and into the kitchen which is at the rear of the house. It was just a two second glimpse of the top of her head and the rest of her body just walking into the kitchen and she'd have moved out of view once reaching the kitchen. I thought to myself after seeing this "Damn - she went and bought a WIG?!!" Haha From what I could see the "wig" was sort of cut in that famous Olympic ice skater Dorothy Hammill style but just about two or three inches longer - it had that appearance to me, at least. So, I take the 30 seconds or so to urinate, rinse my hands quickly and dry them off on the hanging towel behind me. I go immediately down the stairs to see my room mate's new wig with the intention of talking a bit of shit - just some good natured ribbing. The house is completely empty and all the doors are locked. It was a ghost/spirit, and it looked completely alive with none of that transparency effect we see in the movies. She looked the same as you and I would look to one another if we saw each other across a room. I was not freaked out in the slightest, and when the realization of it all hit me with absolute certainty that I had just seen a spirit, a wave of euphoric energy coursed all over my body with brief intensity which for me was confirmation. True story.

Why don't they ever help out with the fucking chores???

by Anonymousreply 104October 17, 2019 11:20 AM

I haven't read most of the posts on this thread, but when I saw the title I knew I had to share my ghost story. When I was attending JuCo (What we call Junior College where I'm from) my mother made me get a job since she claimed that 'taking one Intro to Pre-Algebra course, watching episodes of Jenny Jones and going on dates w with your pretend boyfriend to the McDonald's Drive Through so you can order two extra vaule meals, could hardly be whats called a fulfilling existence for a twenty-three year old' (I hated that woman, LOL!) So, I got a job at the Fashion Bug at my local stripmall. It was not very challenging work and think I got on the manager a woman named Kim's nerves because I was always coming up with new and creative ideas like having in store fashion shows with the staff modelling the latest clothes, I even offered to have my boyfriend (who didn't exist, but I could pay someone to do the work) to build a runway in the middle of the store for the show. But all Kim wanted me to do was fold clothes and work the cash register...DULLSVILLE, LOL!

I had been working at 'The Bug' as those of us in the know called it for about three weeks when she asked me if I wouldn't mind closing the store on my own. I said, I wouldn't have a problem and liked the idea of running the store on my own, it would be like my own little kingdom and I would be the QUEEN! LOL! Kim then said in a hushed tone, just so you know, the store is haunted. I told her I didn't believe in ghosts and told her that I had figured out how David Copperfield had made the Statue of Liberty disappear, so. She told me that the store was haunted by a woman who had worked at 'The Bug' a few years before, her name was Carmel, and she had died from an infected sore on her skin that had never been treated because she couldn't find it because she had been a bit 'overweight'. I told Kim I'd take my chances.

Now 'The Bug' was located in a strip mall that only contained a Kinney shoe outlet and a Raido Shak and an abandoned frozen yogurt franchise. The closing shift was from 5-9 and per usual, no one was there. I took the opportunity to put on my own runway show for myself while blasting my favorite Kenny Loggins songs. Anyways, as I was 'walking down the runway', I began to smell funnell cakes, it was very strong and overt. I heard a crash in the back room and ran back and found ranch dressing spilled everywhere. On the mirror was written in lipstick, 'Get out, quit your job, everyone here hates you!' in lipstick! I was terrified. The smell of funnell cakes was still strong and then the lights went out in the back room and I heard a female's voice giggling. I yelled out, 'Carmel, is that you?' The giggling grew louder and I grew more terrified. The lights started flicking on and off and I could hear a hissing sound and then I heard a female voice cry out, 'Go away, Darlanne, everyone here hates you! Nobody wants to work with you!'. I screamed at the top of my lungs and may have soiled myself and ran out of the store, hopped on to my ten-speed and got the hell out of there.

I returned to 'The Bug' two weeks later to pick up my last paycheck after my mother told me I was being ridiculous. When I got there Kim was standing outside of the store waiting for me. I told her I was sorry I left the store without locking up and leaving the cash register unmonitered but she said she understood. I told her what had happened with the smell of funnell cake, the ranch dressing and the lights. She said that from her own experience that sounded like the ghost of Carmel and I must have upset her. Suffice to say, while I use to be a skeptic about ghosts, I'm not anymore, to quote Mickey Dolenz, 'I'm a believer'! LOL!

by Anonymousreply 105October 17, 2019 11:22 AM

R105 cute story

by Anonymousreply 106October 17, 2019 11:35 AM

Thank you, Darlanne, for that very imaginative tale.

by Anonymousreply 107October 17, 2019 12:27 PM

Cheeseman Park is in the middle of Denver's Capitol Hill neighborhood. It's pretty much in the middle of town, but over a century ago it was considered the outskirts. At that time, Cheeseman was a cemetery. Due to the population boom at the turn of the century, and a lot of greed, they decided to move the graves further out. The guy hired to do it cut corners and didn't remove all the bodies. To this day bones are still found during construction. You can find more info by searching Cheeseman on the web.

That's the background they tell you.

What they don't tell you is Cheeseman was a gay cruising area for decades. Guys would drive around the road circling the park and use their headlights/tailights to signal other guys. There were areas where the brush was pretty thick and guys would go in the trees and do their thing. I heard the real scary stories from some of my friends who were regulars there.

One guy was getting head in the bushes when a guy walked up to them and asked for help, seemingly covered in blood. They thought he had possibly been bashed or was a hooker who had a bad trick and ran for help (pre-cell phone). Police patrolled the area (and participated in the fun), and they got a cop within a few minutes. They come back and the guy was just gone. The cop told them it wasn't the first time he heard the same story.

Another friend was cruising at night and saw multiple lights in the bushes. These weren't flashlights or even lighters. He said they looked like christmas lights and they moved with purpose. He watched until they just faded.

Lots of other things happened. Voices from nowhere. Strange people walking down the street or in front of cars. Animals freaking out if you tried to walk them through there during the day or night.

The park has since been "cleaned up" and is a gentrified, family-friendly, boring old park. However, some people say it's gotten worse because during renovations whole graves were found and removed.

Interesting side note. The building where JP Kelso was killed by porn star Marcus Allen aka Timothy Boham was less than a mile away. Also, the building where Ted Haggard and his hooker did meth was right around the corner.

by Anonymousreply 108October 17, 2019 8:26 PM

I had strange things happen to me.

1. Years ago, whike staying at a residence in NYC, I woke up one night and could not move. It was like an invisible force was holding me down. I was wide awake and started praying and it was released.

2. Another time in the same place, I woke up to feel an evil presence. I could not see anything, it was a very dark/bad energy.

3. A few years back, I lived in an Jersey City apartment where twice I was smacked with air while sleeping. The place was also infested with every bug imagineable! Broke that lease FAST!!

by Anonymousreply 109October 17, 2019 9:17 PM

Bump...chain rattle...disembodied moan.

by Anonymousreply 110October 18, 2019 12:33 AM

The harpie in red atop the piano open her crimson splashed lips and shrieked,

"Light the candles. Get the ice out. Roll the rug up, it's TODAY!"

by Anonymousreply 111October 18, 2019 1:44 AM

Could you have been waked up by your husband [italic]saying[/italic] "there's a ghost in here" out loud, thus causing the out of character thought?

[quote]Anyone have any good Ouija board stories they’d like to share?

Nothing too spooky, but when I was staying over at a friend’s house as a kid we played with a ouija board one time. When I asked it if my father would walk again (he’d recently been paralyzed and was confined to a wheelchair), the planchette moved to “yes.” At that point my friend’s big tomcat stood on his hind legs to peer at the ouija board over the edge of the table and started yowling, which freaked us out enough to stop playing. The board went back in its box and onto a shelf for the rest of my visit.

by Anonymousreply 112October 18, 2019 12:58 PM

Friends of the family wanted to get rid of their Ouija board and offered it to us. My parents refused it. The owners said that cabinet they kept it in rattled a lot.

by Anonymousreply 113October 18, 2019 3:34 PM

R113 Under those circumstances I don't think I could resist using it.

by Anonymousreply 114October 18, 2019 3:35 PM

[quote] Where the hell is "south suburban Illinois?"

It's near South Detroit I believe.

by Anonymousreply 115October 18, 2019 5:45 PM

That's right, I'm just a city boy.

by Anonymousreply 116October 18, 2019 8:08 PM

Speaking of southern Chicago:

"Just southwest of Chicago, on Archer Avenue in Justice, Illinois, across the street from Resurrection Cemetery, is a bar called Chet's Melody Lounge. Chet's is a classic roadside tavern, with a pool table, a jukebox, a popcorn machine, and a large clientele of bikers. But Chet's has an unusual tradition: every Sunday, the staff leaves a Bloody Mary at the end of the bar for a ghost. The ghost's name is Resurrection Mary, and she has haunted this stretch of Archer since the 1930s, when she picked up young men dancing to the big bands at the Oh Henry Ballroom. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117October 18, 2019 9:19 PM

Another good one out of Chi-Town:

"Back in 1977, Whitey lay down and died in the Music Box Theatre. He’s still there. Encounters with Chicago’s movie ghost"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 18, 2019 11:05 PM

The Chicago Reader article is probably the best telling of the Resurrection Mary story.

by Anonymousreply 119October 18, 2019 11:07 PM

[quote] R209: 1. Years ago, whike staying at a residence in NYC, I woke up one night and could not move. It was like an invisible force was holding me down. I was wide awake and started praying and it was released.

It’s called sleep paralysis. It’s not too rare. Your body goes into a paralysis state while you sleep, and it can take some time when you wake, to turn your body back on.

by Anonymousreply 120October 19, 2019 6:47 AM

Four of us, about aged 10, sat around a lit candle on the third floor of my parents house and attempted to summon the dead. We asked for a sign, an the candle abruptly went out. None of us were close enough to have blown the candle out. We all flew down the stairs like those cartoon animals where the legs are going at full speed. Other than that, I don’t recall the house being haunted, oh, except one other thing.

There was a blood-red stain on the hardwood in the master bedroom, and a bricked-zip fireplace in one of the rooms. The story was that decades earlier, there was a party at the house. Some movie star was there, and was bludgeoned to death, then put into the fireplace which was then bordered up.

by Anonymousreply 121October 19, 2019 7:21 AM

Is that like being boarded up?

by Anonymousreply 122October 19, 2019 7:41 AM

Why, it sure is!

by Anonymousreply 123October 19, 2019 7:53 AM

Actually, it was bricked-up.

I only recently learned that the unused chimney became a bat hotel.

by Anonymousreply 124October 19, 2019 7:54 AM

Like r109, I was sleeping and both my husband and I woke up in the middle of the night. We both had the sense that something overwhelmingly evil had passed by. I said a prayer and went back to sleep.

This was in our apartment, on the 21st floor.

We never had any other issues or encounters in our 4 years there.

by Anonymousreply 125October 19, 2019 8:09 AM

I had an interior designer over once who startled at some point. She said she saw an old man walk past the door, and that she was psychic.

He’s never evidenced himself to me. My place was built in the 1880s so I imagine a number of people died here.

by Anonymousreply 126October 19, 2019 8:16 AM

I sent my Mom a bouquet of flowers when my Dad died. They screwed up, and the card accompanying the flowers identified the sender as my late father.

by Anonymousreply 127October 19, 2019 8:18 AM

Oh, this one made all the blood in my body sink to my feet.

On 12/23, I went to a memorial service for a friend. I then drove to my hometown for my yearly luncheon with my siblings. While we were eating, I got a text message from my late friend consisting of a single ❤️.

She had allegedly died from a heart complaint, but I know she would take an Oxy to get to sleep at night, so I think she’s the only opium-related death among my friends, so far, that I know of.

by Anonymousreply 128October 19, 2019 8:25 AM

My dad brought me along one day to visit my grandpa. There were young people renting out a house behind his, and they were always partying, getting shit faced drunk, drugs, whatever. We were sitting out on his back porch for a while, while there was a young guy, shirtless, in a pair of jeans laying out in their back yard. We just assumed he was passed out drunk. The weather started to get bad, so my dad decided to go wake him up, and I ran along with him. Then my dad stopped me and told me to go back to the house. The guy was dead, he had a bullet hole in his stomach.

by Anonymousreply 129October 19, 2019 10:36 AM

I’ve had a number of very odd experiences. In my senior year of high school (long ago), I went to a party. I had never gone to a party before — I don’t drink, and I wasn’t popular, being introverted and a closeted gay boy, so I wasn’t that close with anyone. But I remember having fun and talking with a number of my classmates, people I’d been in school with for four years but had never talked with before.

It was a few days later at school when a friend of mine asked me if I’d “heard”. I hadn’t. We were going into my journalism class. Several people in my class had taken pictures during the party, and in the course of sharing them, they realised that in every photo of me there was a light shining above my head. It didn’t matter where I was standing in the photo, or how dark or light the picture was. But the clincher was that it was in EVERYONE’s photos. Some were Polaroids, some had been developed, but they all had this light above me.

Needless to say, I never became popular after that. I think they thought of me as the haunted fag.

by Anonymousreply 130October 19, 2019 1:03 PM

R130, are you haunted? Is this a regular thing with you?

by Anonymousreply 131October 19, 2019 1:27 PM

Hello. Judge my nude photos on sex gay dating site - socgay.club (username Niko)

by Anonymousreply 132October 19, 2019 1:31 PM

r132 quelle horreur!

(i didn’t click, just reacting on priciple)

by Anonymousreply 133October 19, 2019 1:41 PM

Should I risk a ouija board in order to contact my mother?

by Anonymousreply 134October 19, 2019 3:47 PM

No, 134. You'd just be opening a channel that would allow anyone and anything to get through.

by Anonymousreply 135October 19, 2019 4:16 PM

Love your story, r130!

by Anonymousreply 136October 19, 2019 4:40 PM

[quote] I think they thought of me as the haunted fag.

If you decide to write your memoirs, R130, "The Haunted Fag" would make a wonderful title.

by Anonymousreply 137October 19, 2019 4:48 PM

I have a few stories, one in which a Ouija board is involved. The first one took place at the home of my best childhood friend. He had passed away and I went to the memorial, staying at his parents place. The night before the memorial service, I, the parents and an aunt and uncle were sitting in the living room watching TV. Out of the corner of my eye I saw someone walking and I thought that the aunt had gotten up to make some coffee or go the the bathroom. When I looked, she was still sitting on the couch and the "figure" i saw was a shadow figure which quickly disappeared. This all took place within a few seconds. I just looked back at the TV and didn't say anything. I don't know if what I saw was my friends spirit.

The second bit is very short and probably explainable but it still made me wonder. I was at my computer late one night and fell asleep right there in the chair. I suddenly felt three hard taps on my shoulder which woke me up. I believe someone tapped me to wake up and just go to bed. I can still "feel" those three taps in my head. They were very strong and I don't believe they were a dream.

The Ouija board story happened over 45 years ago when I was in high school. A group of us, there were 6 of us, decided to use the board one night for fun. Over the course of that summer, we met regularly and supposedly got in touch with a spirit who had been unfairly accused of witchcraft and wanted our help to clear her name. There were many names spelled out during the course of those meetings, none of which made sense, very odd names like Emma-O. One night one of the women saw red eyes peering at us from outside the kitchen window and screamed, scaring the crap out of us. All of the questions and answers were written down and collected. I have no idea if those papers even exist somewhere, packed away. I haven't seen those people since those days. (I remember we were cautioned by spirits on the board Not to get involved in helping the accused woman.)

by Anonymousreply 138October 19, 2019 5:24 PM

R130 I laughed at "the haunted fag". It does sound kind of cool, you should own it.

by Anonymousreply 139October 19, 2019 5:28 PM

[quote] R121: Four of us, about aged 10, sat around a lit candle on the third floor of my parents house and attempted to summon the dead. We asked for a sign, an the candle abruptly went out. None of us were close enough to have blown the candle out. We all flew down the stairs like those cartoon animals where the legs are going at full speed.

Via Facebook, I recently contacted one of the friends who was at our “seance”. 50 years later, he said he still remembers the event very clearly.

by Anonymousreply 140October 19, 2019 5:39 PM

To the person who lost their loved one to stomach cancer. I understand your pain. I lost my mother to it last year. I've had dreams of her and things you would consider signs but something in me can't believe fully. I wish I had an experience like that. Or like the rest of you, where its not just a dream. Something so concrete.. Like I'm sat her and I could see my mother appear on the sofa etc.

by Anonymousreply 141October 19, 2019 6:07 PM

This house was next to my Grandmother’s house. It has a lot of cool stained glass that aren’t shown in the picture.

It was dilapidated in the 1960s. Since then, it has been restored a few times, a complete rehab, but quickly returns to this again. It’s an old house but I’ve never seen one degrade as quickly and completely as it repeatedly does.

You may notice that all the windows are blocked on the inside, suggesting a vampire nest. They must tend to the lawn after sundown. Also, completely coincidentally, there is a black cat sitting on the granite steps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142October 19, 2019 6:07 PM

The night before my Grandmother died, my sister was visiting with her. My Grandmother asked my sister who those other people in the room were. But they were alone. My sister chased them away by clapping at them and saying shoo!

IIRC, one of the visitors was identified as her mother, who died in 1900.

Apparently, this is not unusual. It is either spirits sent to welcome and guide the newly deceased; or it is a natural biological phenomena that occurs when the brain is dying.

by Anonymousreply 143October 19, 2019 6:22 PM

When my dad was dying he said there was a woman there. He thought it was his maternal grandmother which is strange because she died long before he was born and we don't have a photo of her.

by Anonymousreply 144October 19, 2019 6:28 PM

Lived in an old historic house which had been built by one of the first families to settle in the county. The man who built it had died fairly young at the age of 47, but had achieved success and status as a member of the state congress. His photo was in the local historical society and the only reason I know all of this is because I was in bed one night and woke up to see him floating at the edge of the bed and yelling "Fire." In fact, it was only his head floating and yelling. My partner saw the same thing and claimed he'd been awakened by someone yelling right before I had.

We were frozen in fear, it was that vivid and it faded quickly. I went to the town historical society and found out that after his death, the house had been on fire several times. His wife and children escaped the first fire and the second fire had started when the railroad illegally built through the property when the family had moved away and the house became run down. The town notified her and she successfully sued in one of the few times someone actually won against a railroad. I believe the old fellow hung around after his death to watch over everyone.

by Anonymousreply 145October 19, 2019 6:48 PM

[quote] all the windows are blocked on the inside, suggesting a vampire nest.

or a crack house.

also, “The Haunted Fag” would be my new favorite gay bar.

by Anonymousreply 146October 19, 2019 7:03 PM

I was in a backroom once and someone lit a cigarette. I saw that the guy I was blowing was FAT. I was so scared I screamed and ran.

by Anonymousreply 147October 19, 2019 7:06 PM

My sister likes psychics. She was once told that our father was enjoying getting to know his grandfather (at link), who died 6 years before he was born.

Of course I think it’s hogwash. My grandmother read tea leaves in Brooklyn until she was arrested for it, and she told me that you learn how to read people and draw out details of their lives in light conversation before giving the reading. It’s a nice thought, though.

In the old days, you would charge someone for a light sandwich and cup of tea, and then the reading was free. This wasn’t illegal, but she apparently let her guard down at the wrong time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148October 19, 2019 7:17 PM

About a week ago on my way to work something fan in front of my car. It was dark. Lights were on. It was about the size of a dog and was very, very close. It was black like a shadow. There was also this "double" image quality to it. Bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 149October 19, 2019 7:32 PM

My boil busted last night. Ruined a pair of good underwear.

by Anonymousreply 150October 19, 2019 7:56 PM

R119 a podcast called Astonishing Legends has a three part episode about resurrection Mary that is really thorough.

by Anonymousreply 151October 19, 2019 8:36 PM

r141 it wouldn't matter if you did see your mother because you wouldn't believe it anyway. Each time you dream of her she is visiting you. She has given you numerous signs and you don't believe those. If you saw her you would convince yourself that you really didn't see her.

by Anonymousreply 152October 19, 2019 9:16 PM

R134 A psychic medium would probably be a better choice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153October 19, 2019 9:17 PM

R151 Did they debunk the ghost theory?

by Anonymousreply 154October 19, 2019 9:29 PM

Occasionally I dream about a deceased loved-one. Sometimes, I’ll recognize that we hadn’t seen each other in a while and I try to hold onto the moment and enjoy it as long as I can. If I come to realize that they were dead, the dream ends. I usually wake up with a really pleasant mindset.

by Anonymousreply 155October 19, 2019 9:31 PM

I dreamed about my dad last night, but as today would have been his birthday it's pretty natural for him to be on my mind and appear in my dream. No wisdom from beyond the grave imparted.

R138, creepy considering that's the name of the devil-equivalent figure in Japanese Buddhism.

by Anonymousreply 156October 19, 2019 9:39 PM

R152 I think it's just the fear. I already have an anxiety disorder and believing is hard when the but is always there. I suspect that's why I haven't had any signs or dreams in a while. I can see my mom being mad at me lol. I'll get there one day. Pure faith where I won't need to keep asking for signs. I'll know.

by Anonymousreply 157October 19, 2019 9:40 PM

r157 I have a spirit that lives with me but it is my soul mate. I always asked for signs until one day he made my hairbrush disappear and then reappear. It freaked me out and I was afraid to touch it. I don't ask anymore because I don't feel the need but once in a while will say I haven't seen you in a dream in awhile. just keep an open mind and talk to her. she'll always watch after you

by Anonymousreply 158October 19, 2019 9:47 PM

My mum gave me a ring when she was alive. Not like a special ring or moment, she just said wear it if you want. I lost it a couple of days ago most likely in the house. I didn't even notice. I'll ask her to see if she can make it reappear. Like I said it wasn't a heirloom or anything and my mother wouldn't hey upset over stuff like that going.

by Anonymousreply 159October 19, 2019 10:37 PM

R108, the movie "The Changeling" with George C. Scott is based on a Cheesman Park (changed to Chessman Park in the film) haunted-house tale. It's one of the best horror films out there.

by Anonymousreply 160October 20, 2019 12:34 AM

The Haunted Fag here. R131, no I don’t think I’m haunted. I actually don’t believe in ghosts which makes the whole thing about the light above my head baffling. Still, it wasn’t a little light — it was a long, vertical light. I thought at first it was a flashbulb reflection, but it didn’t make sense. There was one pic of a bunch of us making a human pyramid. I was on the bottom row and the light above me blurred out half of whoever was stacked on top of me. It definitely gave me a reputation for being creepy. Oh, well.

Another very odd thing was when I was housesitting for a friend of mine. She lived in a really beautiful old mansion that had been divided up into apartments. Hers was comprised of the main living room, the enclosed carriage way, a small kitchen, and two servants’ rooms. I’m not sure if ‘carriage way’ is the right term; it was originally the covered area where carriages could pull up to the house so people could get out and stay dry when it was raining. They had enclosed it into a small study, off to the side of the living room.

She had an old record player with some records at the other end of the living room . One night I put some music on and was sitting in the study writing when I heard the music skipping, not unusual for old records. I waited until I finished writing the end of the sentence, then hopped up to go change the record. I came around the corner and at the other end of the room I saw the back of a woman in a black dress in front of the turntable. She threw her hands up in the air like I’d startled her and then she was gone.

It happened so fast that my initial reaction wasn’t fear but thinking I’d just imagined it. I stood in the same place for probably 10 minutes, kind of frozen, so I was probably a teeny bit scared. I finally walked to the record player and put the needle back to the beginning of the song. It didn’t skip, and there were no scratches. And no, there was no ‘cold spot’, and nothing seemed odd or out of place, so I went back to writing and forgot about it.

I slept in what would have been one of the servants’ rooms, which was just off the kitchen. It was an old kitchen, really beautiful, and all the wooden cupboards had brass latches to keep them closed, which you had to turn to open them. That night I was asleep when I thought I heard one of the latches being turned; they made a very distinct ‘click’. I woke up and laid in bed listening because, again, I thought I’d imagined it. After awhile, and no more sounds, I started to fall back asleep, when I heard it again. Unmistakably. I froze in bed because I thought maybe someone had broken in and was robbing the place. And then suddenly, it was like a steady stream of clicking, over and over again, like someone was putting dishes away. I lay awake for ages, hearing the clicking go on and on. Finally I very slowly slid out of bed, went to the door of the room and closed it silently and locked it. I figured if it was a robber, I’d be safer, and if it was anything else, I wouldn’t have to know. But eventually it stopped and at some point I fell asleep.

by Anonymousreply 161October 20, 2019 12:43 AM

(Contd) So next morning I look in the kitchen and nothing seems unusual or out of place and again I thought I’d imagined it. I was there for about another 5 days and nothing happened until the night before my friend came home. I had spent the evening cleaning the place thoroughly because I’d been kind of a slob. Once it was cleaned up, I went back to the study to write. I was in the middle of writing when I felt someone’s arms wrap around me, like someone had come up behind me to give me a hug. It wasn’t a sort-of-like-a-hug: it was a HUG and was really warm and loving, and I was sure that it was my friend come home early, and I went “Hi!”, and turned around. There was no one there. But I had this really warm sensation, which was unusual since the study wasn’t heated and I had been cold. And mostly, I realised that I had this sensation of being very safe, and protected. It wasn’t frightening at all.

That night, nothing, so the next day I moved out back to my place, and the next week went back to visit with my friend and hear about her trip to New York. We had a fire going in the huge marble fireplace. She was drinking a glass of wine and I was probably drinking juice or some other pussy drink, and we were looking at the fire and I said to her, “Hey, I think your house is haunted!”, sort of joking. “Really?” She said. “Cool!” So I told her about the woman, and the clicking, and the hug. She wanted to know what the woman looked like and I told her. She’d been wearing the black dress. She had grey hair pulled back into a low bun and her dress had ruffles around the wrist which I’d seen when she threw her hands up.

She was quiet for awhile and then she looked at me and smiled. “You’re the third person who’s seen her.”

Apparently whenever anyone housesat for her, they all had seen this woman. My friend was really blasé. “Why can’t I see her? She’s MY ghost, how come I can’t see her!” It was pretty funny.

I still don’t believe in ghosts, but I don’t have an explanation for it.

by Anonymousreply 162October 20, 2019 12:44 AM

(Contd) So next morning I look in the kitchen and nothing seems unusual or out of place and again I thought I’d imagined it. I was there for about another 5 days and nothing happened until the night before my friend came home. I had spent the evening cleaning the place thoroughly because I’d been kind of a slob. Once it was cleaned up, I went back to the study to write. I was in the middle of writing when I felt someone’s arms wrap around me, like someone had come up behind me to give me a hug. It wasn’t a sort-of-like-a-hug: it was a HUG and was really warm and loving, and I was sure that it was my friend come home early, and I went “Hi!”, and turned around. There was no one there. But I had this really warm sensation, which was unusual since the study wasn’t heated and I had been cold. And mostly, I realised that I had this sensation of being very safe, and protected. It wasn’t frightening at all.

That night, nothing, so the next day I moved out back to my place, and the next week went back to visit with my friend and hear about her trip to New York. We had a fire going in the huge marble fireplace. She was drinking a glass of wine and I was probably drinking juice or some other pussy drink, and we were looking at the fire and I said to her, “Hey, I think your house is haunted!”, sort of joking. “Really?” She said. “Cool!” So I told her about the woman, and the clicking, and the hug. She wanted to know what the woman looked like and I told her. She’d been wearing the black dress. She had grey hair pulled back into a low bun and her dress had ruffles around the wrist which I’d seen when she threw her hands up.

She was quiet for awhile and then she looked at me and smiled. “You’re the third person who’s seen her.”

Apparently whenever anyone housesat for her, they all had seen this woman. My friend was really blasé. “Why can’t I see her? She’s MY ghost, how come I can’t see her!” It was pretty funny.

I still don’t believe in ghosts, but I don’t have an explanation for it.

by Anonymousreply 163October 20, 2019 12:44 AM

Sorry for the repost above. Don’t have an explanation for how that happened either.

-R130

by Anonymousreply 164October 20, 2019 12:47 AM

R161 / R162 The woman in black obviously liked you and gave you a nice hug.

Very interesting story. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

by Anonymousreply 165October 20, 2019 12:52 AM

Really enjoyed your posts, Haunted Fag. But considering what you experienced, I'm surprised that you aren't at least open to the idea of spectral presences, as opposed to saying you don't believe in ghosts.

by Anonymousreply 166October 20, 2019 12:55 AM

Buuummmppp....buuummmppp....

by Anonymousreply 167October 20, 2019 1:05 AM

Bump...bump...bump...bump...ghostly footsteps coming up the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 168October 20, 2019 1:10 AM

r163 how can you NOT believe in ghosts?

by Anonymousreply 169October 20, 2019 1:12 AM

I don't understand it either, R169.

by Anonymousreply 170October 20, 2019 1:19 AM

Wonder if Rudolph Valentino's ghost is still making appearances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171October 20, 2019 1:37 AM

Heres a horror story for you. Picture it...Miami Fl,1981. The center of the cocaine universe.I was barely 19 and fresh from a 4 year stint as a guest of the state of Florida. Several of my Cuban cousins were involved in the drug trade so I was quickly accepted and introduced to it all. About a year into it,me,my cousin and 6 other men go out on a huge fishing boat to party . We leave early in the morning,and by noon we were all buzzed to Mars. The partying continues till well in the night and at one point my body basically shut down so I passed out on one of the bunks .Yes,you most certainly can pass out on coke,especially when your mixing it with a river of booze and weed. I wake up the next morning and stumble out of the cabin and everyone is sitting there still partying . I join in,but I notice there are only 5 guys sitting there and there was no one in the main cabin I had just walked out of.

I guess something showed on my face because my cousin shot me a look and I quickly figured out something was amiss and started playing it off.That was the LONGEST 5 hours of my life.The whole time terrified that what happened to those 3 guys could happen to me and my cousin.I was praising god in my head the whole time I watched the dock coming closer,and Ive never been religious.As my cousin and I drove away I started to ask him what happened and he looked at me,said "never talk about that again" and we never have.Not once. But that being said,I quit the game and so did my cousins shortly thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 172October 20, 2019 2:40 AM

r172 I think I read your story on another spooky DL thread a few years back. I often think of it. What s terrifying story.

by Anonymousreply 173October 20, 2019 3:57 AM

Haunted Fag @ r130, I know you don’t believe in ghosts. I don’t think the orb was a ghost but rather, a spirit who was protecting you.

You must have a beautiful soul to have another spirit/ghost hug you.

by Anonymousreply 174October 20, 2019 9:04 AM

About 10 years ago I was visiting Vicksburg, Mississippi with a friend we decided to tour the Mcraven plantation house. The tour guide warned us that the plantation house was haunted and sometimes the ghosts would show during the tour. I was in one of the bedrooms and took a picture of a womans dressing table with a large mirror when I was showing the pictures to another friend he noticed something in the reflection of the mirror something I had missed it was so small. It was a face with a smile the figure had slightly pointy ears I know that it was not in the room when I took the picture since it was only the tour operator and the few people on the house tour.

by Anonymousreply 175October 20, 2019 11:31 AM

The sun rises at 8 am now.

by Anonymousreply 176October 20, 2019 12:31 PM

Trump is still president.

by Anonymousreply 177October 20, 2019 3:59 PM

R172, so they were murdered while you slept? That's horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 178October 21, 2019 1:26 PM

A young, clueless couple from Detroit were "promised" to be put up by a music producer so with $800 to their name, they moved to LA and are now homeless.

Boo! That made all the hair stand up on my arms.

by Anonymousreply 179October 21, 2019 2:06 PM

R178 Yes it really was. Talk about an academy award winning performance ! To see me youd have thought I was the most empty headed bubble gum queen alive ,laughing and joking and partying.The whole time praying "Please dont kill me and my cousin". Im firmly convinced had I not been passed out,I wouldnt have made it. Theres no way Id have been able to cope with the horror,I used to cry when Id see dead cats on the road. I would have freaked,and that would have been the end of me and Alex.

by Anonymousreply 180October 21, 2019 2:45 PM

[quote] R143: The night before my Grandmother died, my sister was visiting with her. My Grandmother asked my sister who those other people in the room were. But they were alone. My sister chased them away by clapping at them and saying shoo! IIRC, one of the visitors was identified as her mother, who died in 1900.

I got an update. My grandmother asked my sister to shoo the strangers away, “except her”, pointing at one of them. That person being the mother that died when she was one year old. She had long told stories of the sainted mother who died, and was replaced by the evil step mother.

by Anonymousreply 181October 21, 2019 2:56 PM

I just learned that my brother in law, who died a week before my grandmother, also had guests in his hospital room before he died. He was an alcoholic with diabetes. Died at age 49. Very sad.

Anyway, I’ll call my BIL “Bob”. Bob was a high school football and wrestling coach. Such people are often called “Coach” by their students, in lieu of Mr. So-and-so. Bob called his visitor "Coach" and got very upset with human visitors if they were rude by not saying hello to Coach or offering him whatever they had brought with them.

I just learned this story today, though this happened in 1996. If the afterlife and spirit world didn’t exist, recurring stories like these throughout millennia certainly would have created a belief system for it.

My BIL and Grandmother died the same 4th of July week in 1996. My Father and niece died the same Memorial Day week in 2005. My Mom died on Thanksgiving Eve in 2007, and we were all on pins and needles waiting for the week to be over before someone else keeled-over. But that year broke the pattern.

by Anonymousreply 182October 21, 2019 3:11 PM

As a kid, some of my friends and I would walk through an obscure path at our local park. We brought flashlights with us just in case, but the goal was to see if we could find the trail and make it through it by just the moonlight. It was also kind of funny to see if we would get stopped by the cops trying to walk to the park in the first place (it's a heavily policed area, very low crime, upper class suburb). The end of the trail basically takes you out to some picnic tables near the entrance of the park.

We would joke about what if we ran into someone on the trail doing the same thing as us. Sure enough one time, as we got to the end of the trail, there were two people sitting at one of the picnic tables having a conversation. Not sure what that was all about. But we ended up screaming and shining our flashlights on them, and they were startled and screaming back at us at the same time. I don't know how they didn't hear us coming in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 183October 22, 2019 11:33 AM

R130, had someone died in your family? Did it ever happen after that one time?

by Anonymousreply 184October 22, 2019 12:23 PM

My mom was involved with a group of people that used a Ouija board. One spirit that came through was an airline pilot who was killed in a crash. He wanted the group to “prove” to the authorities that the crash was not due to pilot error. It was very important to him and he came through several times. But my mom and the group had no way of proving anything. She was haunted by this, knowing it was so important to him for some reason, but she couldn’t do anything. He did give them some information about the flight, but I don’t remember if they knew the flight number.

by Anonymousreply 185October 22, 2019 12:28 PM

Jezebel does a scary story roundup every year that's quite good. They've taken to animating some of the best from the last few years. This is one of my favorites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186October 22, 2019 4:52 PM

R186, that's a great story. If you've ever suffered a burglary then you know how awful it is. My house was broken into in 2008, and I caught the perpetrator in the act. I couldn't sleep for a month after that. The worst part was not that some of my stuff got stolen. The worst part was knowing that a stranger had been inside my house.

by Anonymousreply 187October 23, 2019 12:08 AM

More

by Anonymousreply 188October 23, 2019 4:34 AM

My townhouse is haunted. I live in NYC 1. I felt someone caress my face 2. A frame went flying off my bedroom wall while I was sleeping! It woke me up. The nail was bent or facing downward. It had to have been lifted up from the nail and flung forward towards my bed. Insane! I couldn’t sleep for a week afterwards. 3. Heard a little girl’s voice. She was having an unintelligible conversation with someone. Although you couldn’t hear who she was talking to you could tell that it was a conversation she was having. Went on for about two minutes. My dog ran over and engaged with the voice. 4. The door to one of my rooms opened and a woman’s voice said “hello” twice and it was in a questioning way. Again my dog ran to the door and just stared at it. I did not see the door open but I heard it open and slam shut. 5. Heard a low grumble of a man’s voice

I’ve lived here since 2003 and it wasn’t until 2010 that these things have started happening. They only happen once in a blue moon. I try debunking them but I can’t and again my dog reacts to the situations every single time. I am always scared when the next thing will happen and I always say “please don’t show yourself and go to the light.” I’m beyond creeped out.

by Anonymousreply 189October 23, 2019 6:17 AM

^^^ meant to say : the nail wasn’t bent or facing down.

by Anonymousreply 190October 23, 2019 6:18 AM

I shall ramble on because I am I bit drunk. I've told these stories before here, i think. Anyway, I am named for my grandfather, and have been laughably like him to some degree. Loses things easily. Quick with a song. Always rocks a turtleneck. When he died, I was learning a Bach Sonata. We weren't allowed to go to the wake. I remember hands on my back, but comforting. I kept playing. It was him.

The next night, or maybe the same night. I woke up and had to piss. The bathroom was across the landing and I turned and looked down and saw a shadow standing there in the foyer. Definitely him. I moved on.

A few weeks later, I'm about to go to see my girlfriend at UNH. (oops, still closeted)} i take out 200 bucks from my account at the bank around the corner. I'm a big spender, bitches. I get home 5 minutes later, the wallet, the money, my ID is gone. Wait, what happened? Where is my wallet? After a frantic two or three hours, I give up. I call the girlfriend, tell her I can't come. Everything is missing. This is a Friday night. Sunday morning, in the center of my room, is my wallet. No way I could have overlooked it. My namesake was watching out for me for some reason. Lots of other stories, not necessarily about him.

It didn't startle me

by Anonymousreply 191October 23, 2019 6:48 AM

"I’m beyond creeped out."

I do not blame you one bit R89. I honestly don't know how you are able to deal with all of this.

by Anonymousreply 192October 23, 2019 6:49 AM

R192

It’s not easy! Lol. Oddly enough I don’t think it’s a violent spirit (crosses fingers). I think the girl is living her best life not knowing I exist. The woman I think may have accidentally stumbled upon something that she saw (like my world) that confused her, which is why she said “hello? Hello?” I’m this weird questioning way. That gave me such chills!

And then the frame and face caress I think is a jokester (crosses fingers again)

The man’s voice that sounded like a low grumble was strange because it was right by my bed but I envisioned almost like a tiny person...like a troll/gnome kind of thing. It didn’t come from higher than my nightstand. I was laying in my bed and my dog was right next to me. He heard the voice and picked his head up and just stared at the nightstand inquisitively.

I wonder if this was always happening and just in 2010 something happened to me where I just became more sensitive to it. 2010 just made the floodgates open.

by Anonymousreply 193October 23, 2019 6:59 AM

Many years ago when I was in school I was working on a project late at night with a group of other students. We were working in a house that had been converted into offices for the staff there and we'd gotten permission to be there late at night. This was pretty unusual. The building was dark on the second floor and the lights were out in every room but the one we were working in and the hallway on the first floor. However, there was a giant window that you could look out of and see the other buildings on campus including a grave across the street which was on campus because that was his wish.

Around 2 am, they had moved to working on another part of campus and they left this really nice woman there with me while we cleaned up. We had a bunch of equipment in one office and we needed to load it into her car because it was worth thousands of dollars but she parked her car somewhere away from where we were and she needed to go get it. So she asks if I would be willing to stay there alone while she got it. I said, "Yeah, sure!" She said she'd lock the door to the building so no one else could come in and give me any trouble. I said, "Okay."

Now the weird part is that she asked me this twice. I didn't get it at the time but I'd soon find out why.

She leaves, I can hear her locking the door from the outside, I go into the room where the equipment is and text my friends. She calls and says she's going to grab the other people we were working with then we'd all load everything up in the van so it would go faster. She asked how I was, I said, "Fine!" Finally, I get bored and I decide that I'm going to go upstairs to look out the window of the building.

Now, the grave was was the former President of the university. You had to pass by it every day going to and from class or wherever. I used to acknowledge it by saying hello, or asking what's up or on really sad days talking about my day.

On the second floor the building several office doors were closed. There was one that was wide open. You could see a massive window. The curtains were closed. There were lights beaming into the building from outside. You could see a desk sitting there. You could see a computer and monitor. So, it wasn't completely dark.

So I glance at it, everything feels normal, I turn to look out the window, start talking to the "grave" and I tell it that I'm trying new things now. Hope you're well wherever you are. Finally trying to make more friends but I'm nervous. Thank you for listening to me. My usual stuff.

Then things feel weird. I feel like someone is watching me. I turn around, look into that room and this shadowy figure walks past the window from the other side of the room I can't see and stops. It looks like it's the shape of a woman. It's clearly looking right at me and it tilts its head to the side like you doing when you're thinking about something. I turned around, went back downstairs, opened the front door of the house/building and stood there with it open. I'm like, "You know what, nope. NOT DOING THIS TONIGHT! Screw this equipment!" I didn't dare peak up that stairway. So I left the door cracked open (because if it closed I woulda been locked out) and I stood on the steps outside.

Eventually the crew woman comes back with the other people we were working with and she says, "ARE YOU OKAY?" because I guess I still looked a bit off. I told her, "Yeah, I'm fine. This place feels weird." I didn't want to tell her what I had seen. She said, "Yeah, I've heard." She wasn't angry with me.

A couple of years later on Halloween, I remember reading the newspaper and there was an article about "Haunted Places" where we were. One of them, of course, was that building. The grave across the street from it was there because he used to live in that house. The woman had been spotted for DECADES before I was born looking out of the same window I had been looking out of at night. She was his wife. Apparently everyone on campus knew it was haunted as shit in there except for me.

by Anonymousreply 194October 23, 2019 7:53 AM

R189, get a priest in to bless your townhouse with holy water. You could also smudge it with sweet grass or sage.

by Anonymousreply 195October 23, 2019 10:11 AM

R189 Find a medium and have him/her go though your house to see who is haunting your house. This person can determine if the spirits are benign and possibly how to get them to move on.

by Anonymousreply 196October 23, 2019 10:40 AM

R192 R195 R196

I will say I’ve always been such a skeptic, but this has made me a believer. As unnerving has it’s been I’ve become spiritual because of this and it has provided me comfort in knowing that there is something else after we die. I have no doubt!

by Anonymousreply 197October 23, 2019 3:47 PM

Cool R197.

by Anonymousreply 198October 23, 2019 3:57 PM

Bump. From R189 's empty attic.

by Anonymousreply 199October 23, 2019 4:38 PM

Couldn’t you have at at least posted a picture or link OP? I mean would that have been so hard? Why don’t you try to think more of others next time before you post?

by Anonymousreply 200October 23, 2019 5:28 PM

Hello R200.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201October 23, 2019 5:34 PM

This probably counts as more funny than scary, but when I was a toddler I would apparently cry bloody murder every time my parents took me inside of a church for mass. As soon as my parents took me outside the church doors, I would stop and be placated. It scared my older brother and sister though -- they would check my scalp for the 666 mark of the beast!

by Anonymousreply 202October 24, 2019 7:45 AM

That would have scared me, R194.

by Anonymousreply 203October 25, 2019 6:56 AM

[quote]When I asked it if my father would walk again (he’d recently been paralyzed and was confined to a wheelchair), the planchette moved to “yes.”

Still waiting to hear if r112's dad actually did walk again.

by Anonymousreply 204October 25, 2019 3:32 PM

Wonder why earthbound spirit like the Ouija board so much. Why don't they just do the automatic writing thing. They could express themselves so much better that way.

by Anonymousreply 205October 25, 2019 3:51 PM

[quote] Still waiting to hear if [R112]'s dad actually did walk again. [/quote]

Actually he did R204, for quite a few years, albeit with a cane. We were very proud of him for all the hard work he put into physical therapy.

by Anonymousreply 206October 26, 2019 4:01 AM

Glad to hear that R206. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

by Anonymousreply 207October 26, 2019 5:27 AM

Darlanne at r105, maybe Carmel was offended by your undiagnosed lactose intolerance.

by Anonymousreply 208October 26, 2019 6:38 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 209October 27, 2019 4:20 AM

Buzzfeed Unsolved: The Murders That Haunt The Lizzie Borden House

Ryan and Shane are a lot of fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210October 27, 2019 5:52 AM

The Notorious Hotel Cecil

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211October 27, 2019 5:54 AM

My aunt who was born in the 1920s stated that when she was a kid she and her 5 brothers and sisters accompanied their mother and father to a funeral of a local man. However, her brother who was a few years older than her stated that he wanted to wait in the car — so he did.

Her brother came running in the church about 20 minutes later stating he had seen a married couple who had been dead about 5 years standing by their graves in the church graveyard.

This would have taken place in the 1930s.

by Anonymousreply 212October 30, 2019 1:23 AM

[quote] R1: But please, no "we later learned the house was built on an ancient Indian burial ground" nonsense.

Aww, R1! A few years ago, I learned that my ancestors were buried in Brooklyn’s Williamsburg Cemetery. Towards the end of the 19th century, the Church sold the cemetery to developers, they dug up all the bodied, and moved them. My folks are in Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn.

There found a lot more bodies than they were expecting. But when they were all disinterred, they built housing over it. This is history.

In Boston, they did this a lot, actually. Part of Boston Medical Center is built over an old pauper’s cemetery.

by Anonymousreply 213October 30, 2019 1:33 AM

It’s interesting that it happens so often, that there is actually a word for it, “disinterred”!

by Anonymousreply 214October 30, 2019 1:34 AM

I was reading through an 18th century newspaper. I wish I kept an image, but didn’t. Anyway, in one column on a given page was wedding announcements. A young couple‘s marriage announcement was listed. In another column was death notices. The groom hung himself in the barn on his wedding day.

by Anonymousreply 215October 30, 2019 2:29 AM

I like those movies where the central characters start having weird things happen to them. You’re led to believe that they are being haunted by ghosts. But at the end of the movie, you find that the central characters are actually ghosts themselves, and not aware of it; and the “others” that we earlier thought were ghosts, are actually people who are still alive. They’re the ones who feel they are being haunted by the main characters.

Spooky!

by Anonymousreply 216October 30, 2019 2:38 AM

The scariest things I’ve seen in movies is when a group of characters has captured an immortal being, that they are trying to kill. Finally, they give up on the idea of killing it, and instead decide to just imprison the being in an inescapable tomb.

Examples are when Barnabas Colins was bricked-up into an alcove in his mausoleum. IIRC, after he escapes, he returns the favor to his former captor. Or when Angel was put in a cage, and the cage dropped off in the water offshore. That one’s really gruesome. In the current TV show “Boys”, they eventually figure out how to kill an immortal, but I was expecting them to bury him alive in a deep cavern.

by Anonymousreply 217October 30, 2019 3:08 AM

Cold rushing air BUMPing into R218.

by Anonymousreply 218October 30, 2019 3:30 AM

Woman had a vision of 9/11 beforehand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219October 30, 2019 4:29 AM

Man says he 'floated' down from the crumbling World Trade Center on 9/11.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220October 30, 2019 4:31 AM

The 10 scariest stores from Jezebel this year. Read the full thread, some interesting ones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221October 30, 2019 4:31 AM

[Quote] The groom hung himself in the barn on his wedding day.

Now, that's the last sentence of an interesting short story.

by Anonymousreply 222October 30, 2019 5:19 AM

My aunt was having problems with her water heater in the basement so she called a plumber to come fix it. My aunt and her son (my cousin) were waiting for the plumber and he called them to tell them he'd be a little late, it may take about a couple of hours to get there as he was finishing up another job. Instead of waiting around, my aunt and cousin decided to go out and grab something to eat.

After they got returned to the house, they noticed that the plumber's truck was there. They were surprised that he was already inside the basement fixing the water heater and was almost finished (since it was something very simple). Apparently, the plumber finished his previous job earlier and had arrived sooner than expected.

They asked him, "How did you get inside?" He told them an old man answered the door and led him down to the basement. He said the old man told him, "please help them, they really need your help."

My aunt gasped when the plumber described my uncle. My uncle had passed away a week ago. When my aunt told the plumber that, his face got very white and he looked very shaken. He ran out of the house, leaving his tools and equipment and never came back. From what the plumber said, my uncle looked very real and alive.

by Anonymousreply 223October 30, 2019 7:26 AM

[quote] Woman had a vision of 9/11 beforehand.

There were a couple of people at work who had nightmares the day before 9/11 happened. Maybe they are more sensitive about those things. They dreamed something bad would happen and it would affect everyone around them.

by Anonymousreply 224October 30, 2019 7:31 AM

My dad died at home almost 20 years ago-we brought him home to die from hospital- and since then footsteps upstairs, doors opening, glimpses of someone passing by are par for the course. Some weeks back though, a visitor asked me who was the older man he saw in the drawing room. He had suddenly noticed him sitting in a chair looking at him intently when he had had a feeling that someone was looking at him. From his description it sounded like my father. Most interestingly was the fact that the chair where this older man has been sitting in was the spot where the bed my father had died in had been placed.

by Anonymousreply 225October 30, 2019 7:57 AM

I'm going to contribute another one. This isn't a ghost story, nor is it a premonition, exactly, but it's super weird. Here we go....

When I was growing up, there was a guy who lived not far from me, who was my age, and we looked exactly alike. I mean, people mistook us for each other. We weren't even related.

When we grew up, we were still being mistaken for one another. I'd go into a store or something and someone would yell out, "Hey, Paul," and I'd say, "No, it's Chris." And sometimes the person would say, "Oh, you must be his twin brother." It was crazy weird. We were about the same height and build. We both had blond, wavy hair. The facial features were the same. I mean, REALLY the same. The only difference was that his eyes were blue and mine were pale green. Looking at him was like looking into a mirror.

When we were both 30, something weird and terrible happened. It was a November night, and I was in bed. I had been lying there for about 15 minutes, when suddenly I began to feel strange. I was lying on my back, and I suddenly started to ache all over. The pain is hard to describe, because I had never experienced that feeling before or since. I couldn't move. I couldn't call out for help. It was as if I was paralyzed. I thought that I was dying.

It's impossible to say how long this lasted, but I figure it was probably around ten minutes. then slowly the feeling passed.

I woke up the next morning as my clock radio turned on. The news was on, and I heard the announcement that last night, at the time I was having that strange experience, Paul had been killed in a car crash.

I spoke later to one of the paramedics that attended the crash. The cause of the crash was that a guy had pulled out onto the highway and hit Paul's car side-on. There were three other passengers who had been badly injured but survived. The paramedic told me that they got Paul out of the back seat and he didn't have a mark on him. He insisted that he was ok, and that he didn't have to go to the hospital.

The paramedic told him that he had to be taken in and examined to make sure. Halfway to the hospital, Paul went into cardiac arrest and died. He bled out internally.

And it happened at the same time that I thought I was dying.

by Anonymousreply 226October 30, 2019 10:23 AM

226 posts essentially detailing experiences from the spiritual realm, yet they still say that there is no God. Jesus lives. All praise, glory, acknowledgement to the One Who is, always was, and forever will be.

by Anonymousreply 227October 30, 2019 1:46 PM

God may live. But she may not be Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 228October 30, 2019 1:59 PM

Great stories R212 and R223, thanks for sharing.

R223 It'd be great if your uncle's spirit scared the plumber so bad that he forgot to bill your aunt. (Now that's helping someone who needs help! :-)

by Anonymousreply 229October 30, 2019 2:40 PM

That is really eerie R226.

by Anonymousreply 230October 30, 2019 2:41 PM

R219 & R220 Wow.

You think of all the energy floating around that day.

Just...wow. Thanks for posting those articles.

by Anonymousreply 231October 30, 2019 2:44 PM

I told this story in a thread a few months ago:

While I was out, someone kicked-in the rear basement window and entered the house. But I keep locks on the basement door to the upstairs, so they couldn't get up. I came home and puttered about, going just inside basement door to get some cat food. Since I was home and awake, I left the door unlocked. I went upstairs to spend time with my "upstairs cats"- a mother and her offspring that don't get along with my downstairs cats (I know, 'Cat lady') and got on the computer.

When I'm upstairs with them I cordon the landing entranceway off from the downstairs with a 7 ft. tall lattice thing I attach- very sturdy. Then I hang a blanket on it so they can't even see each other.

A while later my downstairs cats went wild, running up the stairs and trying to climb the lattice- something they've never done. I told them to cool it and paid no mind.

After I went back downstairs, I noticed the basement door was open and the light was on- which seemed impossible since the door closes securely. None of my cats had gone down there, which they would normally have done (bad kitty!). I crept down the cellar steps and it was cold (winter). That's when I saw the busted-in window. The basement is very old (1905) and I have a lot of junk down there, but I slowly peaked around. I found someone's dirty orange hoodie on the floor, and a big winter coat I had on the table was missing.

I have nothing of real value so nothing else was stolen.

If the lattice hadn't been across the doorway I have no doubt this person would have crept up the stairway and surprised me in my bedroom.

It's not ghosty, but I feel my cats have saved my life in one way or another many times.

by Anonymousreply 232October 30, 2019 3:41 PM

The score for this should be Miss Patsy Cline’s [italic] “I fall to pieces”. [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 233October 30, 2019 11:04 PM

^fixed it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234October 30, 2019 11:05 PM

R76, what's the site with the stories?

by Anonymousreply 235October 31, 2019 5:53 AM

R232 No, that wasn't ghosty but it was definitely a scary story.

Thank goodness for your kitty cats and I am glad that you didn't get hurt.

by Anonymousreply 236October 31, 2019 2:09 PM

R232 Your story reminds of a video I saw on YouTube. 'Police Officers Share Their Paranormal Experiences' or something along those lines.

The last story was about an elderly woman who kept seeing a vision of a man reflected in her glass patio doors. She had this "apparition" at three different times.

She was thinking this was a paranormal thing but at one point she got so spooked she called the police.

The police came and found fresh muddy footprints from a pair workman's boots in the spot where she would see this guy.

The point was; uh, no, this wasn't a ghost. There actually was some weirdo nutcase who would enter her house and just stare at her. Watching the video you got the impression that he hadn't quite worked up the nerve to "strike " or to do whatever it was he was thinking of doing to her.

They didn't explain how he positioned himself to where she didn't realize that he was a flesh and blood person. Maybe she just couldn't think as clearly as she used to or see as well as she used to. From what I understand he didn't come back after the police came and searched her house.

by Anonymousreply 237October 31, 2019 2:19 PM

spooky scary Purranormal Activity ???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238October 31, 2019 2:21 PM

R238 That cat is hilarious! He's awful, but hilarious.

That was a great video.

by Anonymousreply 239October 31, 2019 2:29 PM

I loved that, R238!

I have motion detector lights in my house, and I’ve work up in the middle of the night with all the downstairs lights on. I wasn’t sure the cat could set them off at first (too short), but it turns out she can set them off on the stairs. Many nights I’ve come home and the house is already lit.

by Anonymousreply 240October 31, 2019 2:34 PM

Any last ones before Halloween ends?

by Anonymousreply 241November 1, 2019 1:43 AM

OK, it's no longer October, but November can be a scary month too, what with Thanksgiving and visiting all of the distant relatives... It's not ghostly or otherworldly, but since I'm semi-camping for the weekend, it came to mind. Years back when I was 21, I worked one summer with my boyfriend for a concessionaire in Yellowstone.

One weekend, I decided to go backcountry camping. Boyfriend did not want to go, so I went alone to camp along the banks of Shoshone Lake. By that point, I knew all about bear safety and being in bear country. I hiked in all my gear, my food, tent, water, etc and took all of the precautions necessary when camping in bear country: I ate my meals away from my tent and strung up all of my food and odorous items in a tree away from my camp. Night finally came and I turned in.

At some point at night, in my sleeping bag, I heard loud rustling all around my tent. I listened very intently. It was most definitely a large animal rustling all around the perimeter of my tent, making grunting noises and stepping over branches. I sat straight up in the middle of the 2-man tent, completely frozen and afraid to make any sounds as this animal moved all around me. (Grizzlies are occasionally known to rip open tents and drag a victim away).. I think I stood in that same position until daybreak.

When daylight finally broke through, I walked around tent, saw massive bear prints and fresh bear scratchings along a nearby tree. Luckily for me, Mr. Bear wasn't hungry or didn't think I would have made a tasty meal.... Never backcountry camped alone since then!

by Anonymousreply 242November 3, 2019 1:08 AM

People who work in hospitals and funeral homes have had more experiences encountering ghosts here are a few.

13 Scary Hospital Stories from Travel Nurses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243November 3, 2019 10:10 AM

An LVN told me the story of why she quit her last job. This LVN was a huge black lady and usually not scared of anything except for what happened that day. They had called Code Blue on a certain patient, to which the doctors and nurses performed CPR for a while until the doctor finally announced time of death. After everyone left, she was told by her supervisor to take care of the body, to clean it up before the family arrived. She was was walking towards the room and could see from the hallway the deceased patient lying in the bed. As soon as she entered the room, the man's body suddenly sat up. She screamed like holy hell-- in her words-- ran the hell out the building and never went back.

This phenomena does happen, caused from rigor mortis but is very very rare.

by Anonymousreply 244November 4, 2019 2:52 AM

We are instinctively terrified of the idea of dead people moving, ghosts etc. Why? What’s the evolutionary advantage of being afraid of ghosts for example? And yet I don’t know a single person anywhere that wouldn’t be petrified to see a ghost. It’s like your body reacts before you even have time to think about it.

Were there zombies millions of years ago or something?

by Anonymousreply 245November 4, 2019 3:16 AM

[quote]There were a couple of people at work who had nightmares the day before 9/11 happened. Maybe they are more sensitive about those things. They dreamed something bad would happen and it would affect everyone around them.

My cousin said that she had several nightmares about burning buildings a few weeks before 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 246November 4, 2019 3:53 AM

r245 I'm honestly not a nutjob, but I'm not afraid of seeing "ghosts." I've seen a number of them, human and animal. The first I ever saw, at a young age, didn't scare me. I'm not mentally ill, I'm a reasonably intelligent man, quite sensible in fact. But I'm a ghost magnet, it seems. Apparently I must be sensitive to these things. I have a cousin who is the same way. My father saw them, as well. I am not kidding, this is no joke. I just take them for granted. I have no idea why I can see them, but I do. I could fill a book with my experiences. I don't talk about these things offline, except to my partner, and a couple of family members who are interested in the paranormal.

by Anonymousreply 247November 4, 2019 10:24 AM

R247, when I was a teenager, I had a vivid dream that I could see ghosts. It was very real and left a big impression on me.

I used to go to the park with my mom very frequently. That day, I went to the park with her as usual. I saw several ghosts, of different eras, mostly the late1800’s and early 1900’s. They were all in the park. None of them seemed to be able to communicate or interact with each other. I got the impression they couldn’t see each other. They seemed to be stuck, I don’t know how to express it. Like moving through molasses, or like they were on a different plane where time ran differently. They didn’t seem to notice the living people there.

This kind of freaked me out. As mom drove home, I looked out the window, and here and there would see a person from a different era on the sidewalk. I saw this for about three days. After that, I was so freaked out by how many there were, I stopped looking. The ability faded out and I’ve never seen that again.

I’ve never told anyone, no one would believe me.

by Anonymousreply 248November 4, 2019 1:49 PM

In the late 1950’s, my female next door neighbor told me about what her elderly grandmother saw. (“Elderly” back then meant early 70’s.) The family drove the old lady with them to the local town, along the Ohio river, for some shopping. Grandma said she preferred to wait for them in the car. When they came back, she looked somewhat upset, and asked if there was some kind of historical pageant going on that day. When they denied this, she told them she had seen people walking around, dressed in clothes from different time periods: the 20’s and 30’s, the 1800’s, even frontiersman and Indians from Colonial times.

The family did their best to calm her. (And, yes, they had left the windows down on that late summer day.) But the old lady persisted in claiming what she saw.

A few days later, she died.

Years later, when I was a hospice nurse, it seemed to me that, for many of the patients I worked with, their perception of time seemed to become fluid, with different eras seeming to blend together.

A friend on Kaua’i told me that, while he was at the bedside of a mutual friend dying of AIDS-related illnesses, the man woke from his fever, looked out the window, and asked why all the palm trees had fallen across the road. My friend looked out, and saw them lining the road as usual, but, by the time he looked back, the man had closed his eyes again.

A few days later, he died. A few days after that, Hurricane Iniki hit Kaua’i, knocking all those same palm trees across the road.

Time is indeed fluid.

by Anonymousreply 249November 4, 2019 4:01 PM

Such great stories. Thanks everyone.

by Anonymousreply 250November 4, 2019 8:29 PM

R104 saw a squatter or a burglar.

That’s still very scary, but no need to assume the supernatural.

by Anonymousreply 251November 5, 2019 12:11 AM

You left out the part where they exposed your tiny cocklet and kicked you to the ground with the help of a beer-gutted redneck built like a shit brickhouse, R105

by Anonymousreply 252November 5, 2019 2:48 AM

I have nothing else to do at the moment, so I'll add one more - even though it's no longer October.

This isn't a ghost story, but it's strange, and it does involve "the unknown," so to speak. Sometimes I have a sort of premonition. It never has anything to do with world events or mass death and destruction. It very often concerns something utterly unimportant. For example, a girl wanted to take my picture, and I blurted out, "Sure, but your camera won't work." And it didn't. I have no idea why I knew that. Another example: driving along in my car, seeing a dog in somebody's yard, and thinking , "That dog is going to die soon." And it did. When I drove back that way a little later, the dog must have gotten out of its yard, and was lying dead beside the road.

When these "premonitions" come," and they certainly aren't frequent, I KNOW that these things are going to happen. There's a really strange feeling, almost of euphoria. And I've never been wrong. When they come, the event is surely going to happen, even if it's only something mundane and unimportant..

A number of years ago, I had a cat named Lucky.. He was the son of a pregnant feral cat I had taken in, and had named Jasmine. When Jasmine's kittens were being born, Lucky was a breech birth. She was laboring terribly, trying to get the kitten out, but nothing was happening. I could see the kitten's backside so I grabbed as much of him as I could, and gave a mighty pull. I must have been causing Jasmine some extra distress, because she sank her teeth into my left hand and wouldn't let go. I wouldn't let go, either, so with one hand throbbing like hell, I managed to get the kitten out. I made sure he was breathing okay, and gave him to his mother. All was well.

I found homes for all the other kittens, but I kept Lucky for myself. After all, we had a bond. He was a thin wiry little guy, grey with white trim, a very loving and pleasant little cat. One August, he managed to get out of the house, and he didn't come back. There is woodland and forest behind the house, and I figured he either got lost, or was killed by a wild animal. Four months passed, and there was no sign of Lucky.

Near the end of November, I was getting ready to go to a late movie. It was probably about nine o'clock. I was in the shower, the water was running, I could hear nothing but the water, and suddenly, it hit me. Lucky is on the back step.

I was so surprised, shaken, thrilled, that, water still running I rushed stark naked out of the shower to the back door, threw the door open, and yes, Lucky was there, weaving back and forth impatiently on the step, as if he had never been gone.

I am also terribly thankful that it was Lucky there and not some unsuspecting person who would be traumatized for life because a naked man had opened the door.

by Anonymousreply 253November 5, 2019 5:13 PM

We later learned the house was built on an ancient eldergay burying ground!

by Anonymousreply 254November 5, 2019 5:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!