Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Conservatives LOVE "The Politician"

I was just talking to a gay conservative friend of mine (a Tory, he's a Brexiter who lives in the UK, and no, we can't really talk/argue politics because I want to sleep with him) and he had just watched Ryan Murphy's "The Politician". Apparently he thinks it's amazing, specifically because "I love it as it just calls out virtue signalling bullshit for being cynical attempts at manipulation" and "That show takes that concept and injects steroids to drill the point home. You may like it if you watch it."

"There's a character called Sky (I'm assuming the spelling). She's a black, non binary, lesbian blah blah blah, you'll hate her but the story line allows you to hate her as she's an evil bitch. She tries to do some really horrible things. Despite trying to pretend she's a pillar of virtue."

While I sort of agree with him about virtue signalling being out of control, and I also think nonbinaries are eyeroll-worthy attention whores, it's kind of funny to me that THAT was how he was selling the series to me.

by Anonymousreply 20October 22, 2019 11:33 AM

Gasp!

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2019 2:24 PM

What does your conservative friend think of Pose?

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2019 2:30 PM

Well your sample size of one person really convinced me OP!

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2019 2:32 PM

The whole concept of "virtue signalling" puzzles me. As best as I can tell, it means conservatives believe everyone is as racist and selfish as they are, and if anyone publicly says some version of 'being selfish and racist is wrong,' they're lying because we all know everyone is a selfish racist, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2019 2:57 PM

It is very bizarre that there’s a trans character, a black lesbian, and several strong women and they’re relying and counting on a “straight” white guy to run for them? It’s very weird and off putting.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2019 3:26 PM

Interesting analysis:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2019 3:42 PM

My friends in England seem to love this show much more than my friends in America. Not sure what that’s about.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2019 3:44 PM

Clearly Ryan Murphy is trying to tell us something.

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2019 7:06 PM

R5 You forgot the fact that they killed off one of only two gay male characters in the first episode. Bury Your Gays ftw!

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2019 8:19 PM

Ew, really?

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2019 12:05 AM

Le scandale!

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2019 4:16 PM

I don't really care, do you?

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2019 4:28 PM

It's not even a good show...boring as fuck. It just doesn't work.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2019 5:07 PM

Lame

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2019 5:05 PM

It's incredibly arch. Not much to really care about. Although Ben Platt is a remarkably gifted musical performer and Jessica Lange has bits of the set hanging from her teeth, hilariously so.

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2019 5:15 PM

"While I sort of agree with him about virtue signalling being out of control, and I also think nonbinaries are eyeroll-worthy attention whores, it's kind of funny to me that THAT was how he was selling the series to me."

The fact that you use the term "virtue signalling" means you are just as dumb as he is.

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2019 5:17 PM

Agree that this show is pretty forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2019 5:19 PM

r16 actually you'd have to be dumb not to know what that term means and why it is properly applied in a nuanced manner to certain groups of people. It doesn't mean that ALL liberals do x or y, just that it is an issue for the very loud segment that takes it too far.

by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2019 10:58 PM

I stand by what I said.

by Anonymousreply 19October 22, 2019 9:38 AM

What is the "it" that gets taken too far, R18? I'm assuming you're thisclose to ranting about trans people in sports or some shit.

by Anonymousreply 20October 22, 2019 11:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!