Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Valentines Day, 1990. Bay City, IL.

Stupendous ORDisode. Excellent Rachel, Vicky, Jake, and Frankie, too.

Other midwestern miscreants, feel free to post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123November 15, 2019 12:44 AM

I only recently realized, while watching old episodes, that Cali Timmins had only stayed on for 14 months. That's not a contract length, nor is it very long. So I am confused... I had always assumed she had chosen to move on. Was she actually fired? I am not a JE hater (I blame the production for making her look so matronly at the beginning and then the writing later on) but considering how much love there is for CT I wonder if there is some gossip I missed there.

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2019 12:32 AM

My heart is full! I have been namechecked in a post!

This is almost better than reading Cecile for the filth she is. Almost, darlings.

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2019 12:42 AM

R1, I seem to remember one of the magazines mentioning that someone at NBC thought Cali was too much like Sandra Ferguson (Amanda).

I think she was fired, and I have heard backstage stuff that she wasn't very happy there. I also think Judi Evans was free, coming off a long run at DAYS, and perhaps P&G or NBC thought she'd be more of a fan draw.

Others may know more/better!

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2019 12:48 AM

I typed:

[quote]Stupendous ORDisode.

ORD responded:

[quote]My heart is full! I have been namechecked in a post!

Which somehow made me wonder if anyone knows if there's a link to the episode in which Donna chastises Courtney the Cop for picking up her Ming vase, and to stress her point even further, spells it for Courtney: "that's Ming, Courtney...M-I-N-G."

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2019 6:20 AM

Someone asked on the locked-down "I'm Comin, Bud" thread who the actor who played Wally on AW was. I think it was Brent Collins, but that was before my time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2019 11:57 PM

Was Connie Ford in Bay City or Somerset?

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2019 12:40 AM

Bay City, r6.

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2019 12:42 AM

[quote]Someone asked on the locked-down "I'm Comin, Bud" thread

The I'm Coming Bud thread is locked down? For members only now? When did that happen?

But it also explains the low number of responses there lately. Well, thanks for starting this thread. I guess we'll move over to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2019 6:46 AM

[quote]The I'm Coming Bud thread is locked down? For members only now? When did that happen?

It's been months now. We would love to have you here, Aunt Liz.

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2019 6:48 AM

I'm a member, so I'm not aware of when the threads get locked down. Thanks for letting me know.

Guess we'll have to keep starting new P&G threads whenever the current ones get locked down.

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2019 6:57 AM

I believe this is the second one I started, Aunt Liz. The problem is, you don't want to make the headline too revealing. I thought this one would be just right, but it took almost two weeks for someone to notice it. Another thread I started, one on Julian Morris, was completely ignored, and the current thread, number 6, gets maybe three posts a week now.

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2019 10:58 AM

They all get to be paid members only after a while.

DL is plummeting into hell, like Cecile.

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2019 1:19 PM

R4 I **remember** that!

It was so Donna.

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2019 9:11 PM

So thread gets locked down after about 3 weeks and becomes members only? Is that about right?

If so, I'm assuming this is an automatic function because I'm hearing about non-soap threads becoming members only after they've existed for a while. Can't imagine Muriel doing that by hand.

by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2019 10:09 PM

Aunt Liz, "I'm Coming, Bud" appears only to have been non-subscriber from August 31 to September 17. I recognize posts of mine from September 4 through 17. I don't recognize anything after that. I know I was not able to reply to post 242, which someone addressed to me, the Scott DeFreitas Troll, on September 25. Thank you to that poster. I would have thanked you in the thread if I had been able.

So...we have 231 posts in 18 days (August 31-September 17), and 107 posts in the 35 days between September 18 and October 22. For whatever reason, this is meaningful for Muriel. I guess she really does hate soap watchers. Or she hates me.

BTW, I didn't stop paying for DL because I'm cheap. Or poor. I simply want the "block threads" function back.

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2019 10:43 PM

r15 Ahh, I wondered why the I'm Coming Bud thread started so strong then dropped off after a few weeks. The same thing keeps happening to the GH and Days threads. Thanks for the insights.

Soap threads on DL certainly have attracted their share of loons in the past. But since DL started requiring subscriptions to post earlier this summer, the loons have practically disappeared. Perhaps that's why Muriel keeps making them subscribers only.

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2019 10:47 AM

The only real loons for a while have been the Twitter fight people. Why they thought any of us cared has always been and will always be far beyond my understanding.

by Anonymousreply 17October 24, 2019 2:11 PM

I am not a loon. I am a little crazy about Little Miss Seattle, though.

by Anonymousreply 18October 24, 2019 4:40 PM

[quote]I only recently realized, while watching old episodes, that Cali Timmins had only stayed on for 14 months.

The story I've always heard is that producers wanted Judi Evans in the role from the get-go, but she wasn't available for some reason. When she became available, Cali was shown the door.

by Anonymousreply 19October 24, 2019 7:02 PM

R18: Aww...This opinion is just for you, SDFT: As the son of Kim Hughes and John Dixon, Andy Dixon was too important a part of Oakdale to not have stayed until the very end-- portrayed by Scott DeFrietas ONLY, of course. (Take that, Drew Dixon Troll!)

by Anonymousreply 20October 24, 2019 10:04 PM

I think we should fly Scotty DeF to rural Illinois to have tea with Kathy Hays.

by Anonymousreply 21October 24, 2019 10:27 PM

As I recall reading at the time, AW always wanted Judi Evans for the role of Paulina, but they had to wait for her contract with Days to expire.

However, the storyline demands needed Paulina to start sooner than Judi would be available so they cast Cali Timmins.

Little did the show know how good Cali would be in the role. I always preferred Cali's Pauline to Judi's.

I ddin't recall that Cali played the role for as long as she did, Feb 1990 to July 1991 according to the AW Homepage. .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 24, 2019 10:39 PM

It's now been a month since the We Love Soaps site was updated. The most recent Soap History column posted was Sept. 26.

Guess Roger has just given up on the site. That's a shame. I loved the Soap History postings. Great to think back to what happened on various dates and remember my own history along with the soap history.

#Sad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 25, 2019 8:42 AM

I never liked Cali Timmins, nor Lewis Arlt, nor the Red Swan. Or maybe I just missed Mac. But it felt like Donna Swajeski had no idea where she was going with that story for the longest time. At least we didn't have spoilers to contend with thenadays.

by Anonymousreply 24October 25, 2019 10:41 AM

R23 I was thinking the same thing.

There's Serial Scoop run by Michael Goldberg and I think he was using the same template as Roger and We Love Soaps, but both are not updated very often. Understandably since the soap world has all but come to a screeching halt, to be honest.

I wish Roger would do a final goodbye post if he is shitting the site down. A lot of people really enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 25October 25, 2019 3:45 PM

The Red Swan storyline had potential, but dragged on far too long. Story just sort of petered out and never lived up to its potential.

by Anonymousreply 26October 26, 2019 1:43 PM

The Red Swan story never had "potential."

by Anonymousreply 27October 26, 2019 5:08 PM

The Red Swan kept Rachel front and center, which was appreciated ... but it was a convoluted mess.

by Anonymousreply 28October 26, 2019 5:14 PM

Tom Eplin, then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 26, 2019 9:53 PM

Tom Eplin, now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 26, 2019 9:53 PM

That IS NOT Tom Eplin now. For some reason, that comes up when his name is searched, but it's not him.

by Anonymousreply 31October 26, 2019 11:01 PM

R31 = Tom Eplin

by Anonymousreply 32October 26, 2019 11:04 PM

R32 Ha, ha, but no.

We went through this before. It's not him.

by Anonymousreply 33October 26, 2019 11:14 PM

Do you remember that storyline where Sharlene’s psychiatrist, Dr. Taylor Benson, slowly tried to drive her insane (mostly, I seem to recall, by making her think her alter “Sharly” was re-emerging)? Taylor wanted John to herself and at one point lured Shatlene to an amusement park to kill her. I’m not sure what happened because I can’t remember but Sharlene did disappear for awhile after that.

I always kind of love Taylor Benson. She was so manipulative and very slippery. I remember one scene where she was alone at her apartment (which was just so late ‘80s looking), drinking a glass of wine, and obsessing about John. It was hilarious.

I think Cass and Frankie might have tracked down her mom to try and find Taylor after she disappeared (which was at the same time Sharlene did maybe). A little fuzz on some of the details.

I loved the whole Sharlene/Sharly thing. I was only twelve at the time, but it felt so real to me what was happening to her and the actress really sold the arc.

by Anonymousreply 34October 26, 2019 11:22 PM

This has come up multiple times over the years on DL soap threads. The photo at r30 is of a person named Tom Eplin. But it is not the Tom Eplin who played Jake on AW and ATWT.

by Anonymousreply 35October 26, 2019 11:23 PM

Every time I hear about Sharly it makes me chuckle and remember whoever it was on here who was all like, "I'm unpinning my hair and Sharly's coming out, bitches!"

by Anonymousreply 36October 27, 2019 12:07 AM

I may have said that once or twice, r36. I loved Sharly.

by Anonymousreply 37October 27, 2019 5:55 AM

R23

Roger did tweet that the Soap History was moving to another link/site. Right now I can't remember the name.

by Anonymousreply 38October 27, 2019 1:48 PM

Serial Scoop.....but that site doesn't get updated often, either.

by Anonymousreply 39October 27, 2019 2:18 PM

Interesting to hear that they wanted JE for Paulina all along. I like JE as an actress and, again, the way the character was pussified later on was on the writers more than her - she was plenty feisty with Jake before they reduced her to a lasagna baking hausfrau - but watching the first few episodes after the switch it is striking how different the vibe immediately is once she stepped into the role. They even styled her to look older than CT. It is very strange. It might not have been such a problem if she had played her all along but CT did a great job establishing Paulina as something that JE did not quite carry on the same.

That being said, JE killed those scenes where Paulina dumps Jake at the altar. That woman can act.

by Anonymousreply 40October 27, 2019 6:45 PM

I remember CT’s last episode. She was wearing a green dress and went upstairs at the Cory mansion and then JE walked down in the next episode wearing the same dress.

by Anonymousreply 41October 27, 2019 9:33 PM

Thanks for the info r38. I hunted it down and the Today in Soap History column has moved to the Serial Scoop site.

So far, the Soap History column has only been appearing sporadically throughout October. Not appearing there consistently on a daily basis. But at least we know where its moved to. Let's hope it starts appearing daily.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 27, 2019 11:26 PM

James Cromwell was arrested again today at a protest. I really wish he'd take ORD with him. I want to see Miss Anna.

by Anonymousreply 43November 1, 2019 1:53 AM

Question? Did they ever actually establish Bay City as being in Illinois? Or was it vague like Oakdale and Springfield?

by Anonymousreply 44November 1, 2019 2:09 AM

R43 I wish my namesake would show up, too. So glad they found each other.

by Anonymousreply 45November 1, 2019 4:32 AM

[quote]Did they ever actually establish Bay City as being in Illinois?

I have a vague memory of seeing something handwritten that was mailed to 10 or 11 Underhill Terrace, Bay City, IL. That's all I remember, though.

by Anonymousreply 46November 1, 2019 6:04 AM

I loved Felicia Gallant’s whole “Fanny” storyline (I think it peaked in like 1987). She was having flashbacks of being sexually abused by her stepfather.

by Anonymousreply 47November 1, 2019 5:13 PM

R47

I loved everything pertaining to Felicia. Felicia's alcoholism story is the best alcoholism story in Daytime in my opinion.

I miss Linda Dano so much.

by Anonymousreply 48November 1, 2019 9:20 PM

Felicia's alcoholism story was also perhaps the last really good, meaty story AW did, where everything and everyone was just on fire.

It was the last of that era, for sure, the Lemay/Swajeski stuff had run out a year earlier.

by Anonymousreply 49November 2, 2019 12:52 AM

I never watched AW, but I had heard great things about Linda Dano, so I was extremely excited when she joined OLTL. But, evidently they didn't know what to do with her, after the big lost family story that sent her to all of the ABC soaps, because they all shared a universe, she just sort of faded away.

by Anonymousreply 50November 2, 2019 1:00 AM

It was Angela Shapiro, the president of ABC Daytime at the time, who was a big fan of Dano. She's the one who arranged for her to return to OLTL when AW was cancelled. She even attempted to buy the character of Felicia Gallant from P&G so they could just transfer the character to Llanview, but P&G was willing to sell.

Once Shapiro left and Brian Frons took over as ABC Daytime president, all that changed. Frons wasn't terrible invested in the character and soon Gretel Rae Cummings just faded away.

I will admit, if they had transferred Felicia, it might have worked better. Gretel Rae Cummings lacked the pizzazz that Felicia had.

by Anonymousreply 51November 2, 2019 1:10 AM

R51 Oh, thanks, now I have another good reason to hate Brian Frons.

by Anonymousreply 52November 2, 2019 1:20 AM

P&G was dumber than dog shit....so many missed opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 53November 2, 2019 1:21 AM

Dano was a wonderful actress but as a person she has the all too rare combo of warmth & charisma, It just radiates off her.

by Anonymousreply 54November 2, 2019 12:42 PM

This week's SVU (10/31/19) featured two erstwhile Oakdalers. Andy's dad guested as a Queens DA, and Jessica returned to her role as Melinda Warner, SVU pathologist. I hope Melinda appears on the regular again from now on. The part for Andy's dad, Dr. Johnny Boy Dixon, wasn't written in such a way that he'd be returning. Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 55November 3, 2019 2:26 PM

Well, Roger Newcomb may have moved his Soap History column from the We Love Soaps site to the Serial Scoop site. However, that seems to have made little difference. The Serial Scoop site hasn't been updated in 10 days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 3, 2019 10:32 PM

Soap blogs almost always disappear without an official goodbye.

I still miss the old Snark Weighs In blog that was active in the late 90s/early 00s.

by Anonymousreply 57November 4, 2019 12:20 AM

speaking of soap bloggers, it's marlena delacroix's b-day today

by Anonymousreply 58November 4, 2019 6:00 PM

No activity on this thread in four days. Has this one been locked down like the others?

If not, we need to be having some discussion to keep the thread alive. If it is on lockdown, we need to start a new one and people need to post on it.

In the spirit of discussion, Kevin Bacon got his start on soaps, playing Sara MacIntyre's adopted son Tim Werner in 1980-81. This was before the time I was watching GL. Can someone fill me in on his storyline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 8, 2019 10:43 AM

Not locked down, Aunt Liz. But thank you for caring, asking, planning.

by Anonymousreply 60November 8, 2019 10:48 AM

Good, it's not locked down. So, what do you want to talk about, r60?

By the way, forgive a dawdling old lady's memory, but please tell me again what SDFT stands for.

by Anonymousreply 61November 8, 2019 10:58 AM

Oddly (for me), I've lately been watching daytime's only surviving midwestern program, The Y and the R. Though I have only found this show compelling once in the now 31 years since I first watched a soap opera (AW, summer of '88), I cannot get enough of Mark Goodman, latest iteration of Adam Newman. He is absolutely compelling to watch, though the rest of the show is, well, not much better than it ever was.

Particularly awful are the current version of Jack and Diane's son, Kyle, and his recently-revealed cousin Theo, played by the singularly least sexy actor ever to appear on television (and who is not Jimmy Smits). I'd been praying for Theo's departure, but slutty Dina's slutty grandson is good for at least another year, going by typical (grand)son-I-never- knew-I-had standards.

I understand they had someone absolutely gorgeous playing Kyle, Lachlan Buchanan, before this current dolt, and that they fired Lachlan for being an out gay. Even if that weren't the case, there was no reason to replace him with this current nimrod.

I watch the show online, and I skip all of his scenes I don't need to watch to keep up with the plot.

by Anonymousreply 62November 8, 2019 10:59 AM

SDFT = Scott De Freitas Troll. I brought him into existence when we were suffering the slings and arrows of that outrageous "Drew Dixon" Douche. Cameron Mathison, my ass.

by Anonymousreply 63November 8, 2019 11:00 AM

Ahh, SDFT, thanks for the reminder. I try to block out that Cameron should have played Drew Dixon nonsense, and I guess my feeble brain blocked out your identity too.

Best to keep the Y&R discussion on the Y&R threads.By the way, it's Mark Grossman, who plays the compelling, new Adam Newman, NOT Mark Goodman, who was one of the original MTV VJs almost 40 years (!!!!) ago.

I am conversant on all the soaps, having watched all of the soaps at one point or another since back in the 70s. Basically, when one show started getting boring, I'd switch to another show airing at that same time for a while. So, I'd be changing channels constantly. And when two shows were both exciting, then I would be frantically switching back and forth throughout the hour. This was pre-VCR days. Once we got a VCR, I could record one network and watch the other shows live.

Currently, with only four soaps left, I watch all of them daily. I watch them on my iPad, which becomes convenient while fixing meals, cleaning up, etc.

by Anonymousreply 64November 8, 2019 11:24 AM

[quote]Best to keep the Y&R discussion on the Y&R threads.By the way, it's Mark Grossman, who plays the compelling, new Adam Newman, NOT Mark Goodman, who was one of the original MTV VJs almost 40 years (!!!!) ago.

Ohhh...I am so embarrassed. But to me, he is a good man, I suppose. A good actor, anyway.

And the latest Y&R thread was Murieled last week.

by Anonymousreply 65November 8, 2019 11:27 AM

[quote]was Murieled last week.

Murieled. Ahh, I like that phrase.

Even though I said we should keep Y&R talk on those threads, I will say this. I really like Grossman. I finally get the Adam character now that Grossman is playing him. Never got the Muhney appeal, or liked the character. And while I thought Justin did a good job, I still didn't understand the character's purpose for being there.

by Anonymousreply 66November 8, 2019 11:38 AM

I liked the first Adam, Chris Engen. Muhney was NOT an acceptable substitute. I hated his character on Veronica Mars, and when Muhney showed up in GC, I realized it was probably the actor I was less than fond of, not the character. In any case, I stopped watching Y&R for +/- 10 years when they fired LML. Hers was the only version of Y&R I ever found palatable—partly, perhaps mainly, because she allowed her writers to write the way people actually talk instead of Bill Bell's soap babble, which I found unbearable for more than a couple of episodes in a row.

Since I was no longer watching, I think I only caught Justin Hartley in one or two episodes. I really did shut Y&R out. The Wisconsin stories were never as compelling as any of [italic]our[/italic] Midwestern Marvels. I only started watching again this year because I happened to have a 12:30 doctor's appointment one day, and this marvelous actor was on. I started watching at home the next day, and of course, it was Mark Grossman. I've always had a thing for hot Jewish boys, FWIW, and I've watched every episode ever since.

by Anonymousreply 67November 8, 2019 11:59 AM

*This marvelous actor was on the TV in the waiting room in the hospital where I was having my procedure done.

r67

by Anonymousreply 68November 8, 2019 12:01 PM

Kevin Bacon played Tim (TJ) Werner who was Morgan Richards' boyfriend until he lost her to Kelly Nelson. And became a drunk. That's about it. Bacon was replaced by a more round-faced actor (with bad skin), but by then no one cared about Tim. I think he and Sara just sort of faded away. Marland did the story much better with Andy Dixon later on.

by Anonymousreply 69November 8, 2019 12:36 PM

Here's a sign of Aunt Liz you've never seen: Irene Dailey in "The Grissom Gang" directed by Robert Aldrich where she plays a character obviously based on Ma Barker. Shelley Winters played Ma Barker the same year in "Bloody Mama".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 8, 2019 12:56 PM

Seen here with Barbara Nichols, Jeanne Cooper ("Y&R") mixes it up with Constance Ford (Ada) in the 1962 melodrama "House of Women", supposedly a remake of "Caged" but quite different. Constance steals the film easily from Shirley Knight, going from tough but supportive of her fellow inmates, but vindictive and possibly psychotic after her young child is killed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 8, 2019 12:59 PM

A thin Constance Ford! We didn't see that on AW. By the 70s when I was watching, Connie was already carrying quite a bit of weight around.

by Anonymousreply 72November 8, 2019 1:43 PM

Aside from her role as a nun in The Amityville Horror, I've never seen Irene Daily as anything but Liz Matthews.

by Anonymousreply 73November 8, 2019 1:53 PM

r69 Thanks for the info on Tim Werner.

I started watching GL in summer of 1982. Sara MacIntyre was still on at that point, but seemed like a minor character. She was rarely on, but it was clear she had been a major character given that Millette Alexander, a well known actress (at least in the soap world), was playing the part. A lot of characters mentioned needing to talk to Sara about this or that, but we didn't really see Sara all that often.

One of the soap mags suggested Sara had a big storyline coming up. Instead, she just faded into the background never to be mentioned again.

Marland quit in a huff in summer 1982. So, I'd assume the new writers didn't have anything for her to do and forgot about the character. And given that GL went through about five headwriters between Marland's leaving in Sept 1982 and Pam Long taking over in May 1983, I guess it's not a surprise that she just faded away. Several other characters did as well.

by Anonymousreply 74November 8, 2019 2:27 PM

This oughta perk things up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 8, 2019 2:39 PM

Derek Colby (played by Harley Venton) and Ivy Pierce (played by Deborah May) were two other character that just disappeared into the woodwork during that 82-83 period.

Ivy had been dating Mike Bauer and Derek had been a lawyer at Spaulding. Don't really remember much about their storylines, if they had one.

by Anonymousreply 76November 9, 2019 1:04 AM

Derek was pursuing Hillary, who only had eyes for Kelly. I was obsessed with the way he squinted. I remember Ivy, but I never saw her as a significant character.

Morgan had a blonde friend/talk-to that disappeared too. Can't think of her name, but the actress left and did a horror movie and came back. And didn't Nola have a talk-to, maybe a hairdresser?

by Anonymousreply 77November 9, 2019 12:11 PM

Nola's talk-to friend was Gracie.

Don't remember a talk-to friend for Morgan. Not even sure how Morgan left town. She took up with Josh Lewis for a while after breaking up with Kelly Nelson. Maybe she left town with Josh but they broke up off screen and he returned?

They wrote both Morgan and Jennifer Richards off abruptly in that period of revolving door HWs between Doug Marland and Pam Long.

by Anonymousreply 78November 9, 2019 1:05 PM

Gracie was written out after going to work for Joan Bennett, wasn't she?

by Anonymousreply 79November 9, 2019 1:39 PM

I had to google it. Amy Steel played Trudy Wilson, Morgan's talk-to. Here is a copy of a picture of the two at Laurel Falls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 9, 2019 4:05 PM

I wanted to be cast as Kelly Nelson Penis Talk-to.

I would have had long conversations with his penis. Of course no one would be able to hear, what with it being lodged in the back of my throat and all.....

by Anonymousreply 81November 10, 2019 4:52 AM

So many good characters in the 80s and 90s on GL that they should have pulled from for history, instead of some of the nonsense they did.

Kelly could have had a son or daughter that came to stay at Ed's, too.

Olivia should have been Ed's daughter with Rita.

They could have brought Peter Reardon and Dorie von Halkein on, for example, instead of a long line of fug bad actors with no connections to anyone on canvas, or made up characters like Ava who then had to be retconned into an existing story.

Fucking Jeffrey fucking O'Neill. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 82November 10, 2019 8:16 PM

R81 Wouldn't it be difficult to say your lines with your mouth full?

by Anonymousreply 83November 11, 2019 1:45 PM

If you bitches don’t stop talking about GL on this thread, I’m going to whip you with my dishrag before I kick you in the cunt.

by Anonymousreply 84November 11, 2019 4:34 PM

These threads are ALWAYS for ALL P&G shows, Connie.

Take that dishrag and shove it where you kick. Now.

by Anonymousreply 85November 11, 2019 4:58 PM

R84 I'd love a good ass whippin' from Ada, as long as she provides sweet rolls afterwards!

by Anonymousreply 86November 11, 2019 4:58 PM

R83 Not to mention with his massive cockhead blocking my windpipe......

by Anonymousreply 87November 11, 2019 5:00 PM

[quote]These threads are ALWAYS for ALL P&G shows, Connie.

Yes, they are, r85. OP even said so, loud enough anyone could hear it on Emma's eavesdropping porch: "Other midwestern miscreants, feel free to post."

by Anonymousreply 88November 11, 2019 9:46 PM

Van Hansis is happy his hubby, Tyler Hanes, is appearing in his 10th Broadway production.

[quote]van.hansis I am so proud of this one for being able to pull off that jacket. And yeah, also for his 10th (!) Broadway show. Double digits, Linda!!! @thetylerhanes is a sight to behold and I am so lucky to be the guy beholding him. #forthegirls #kristinchenoweth #ImGoingToStealYourJacketYou’reFabulousI’mLinda photo by @bruglikas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89November 12, 2019 12:08 AM

A wonderful shot of Irene Dailey as Aunt Liz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90November 12, 2019 12:29 AM

Connie is being discussed some on the A Summer Place thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91November 12, 2019 12:30 AM

Who doesn't love Aunt Liz?

by Anonymousreply 92November 12, 2019 3:55 AM

I loved Irene Daily but I was shocked when she won the Emmy against such powerhouses as Vicky Wyndham, Beverly McKinsey, Susan Hayes, Helen Gallagher and Nancy Addison. Not because Daily wasn't a wonderful actress but because she was the definition of a supporting actress on AW.

by Anonymousreply 93November 12, 2019 11:35 AM

One wonders, doesn't one, Matthew, whether r93 makes that spelling error on a dailey basis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 12, 2019 11:53 AM

[quote]Not because Daily wasn't a wonderful actress but because she was the definition of a supporting actress on AW.

Agreed. Liz was always a supporting player during her time on AW. But winning always depends on the material submitted. Let's not forget Laurie Heineman won in 1978, against Wyndam, McKinsey, Lucci, and Hayes, among others.

And in fairness, Irene Dailey won Best Actress in 1979, which was the first year that the Support Actress category was introduced. So, part of her being nominated in Best Actress may have simply been that the show was unfamiliar with making distinctions between the two categories. If she'd been nominated in subsequent years, I'm sure she would have been in Supporting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95November 12, 2019 12:10 PM

I agree that Irene was a supporting character. I'm sure that this is a scene she submitted. Her scenes starts 50 minutes into the episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96November 12, 2019 12:18 PM

That's a fantastic scene. Thanks for posting it. But it wouldn't have qualified for the Emmys that year.

Irene won at the ceremony held on May 17, 1979. The scene you linked was from March 6, 1979.

Not sure what the qualifying period for that year's Emmys would have been that year. (It wasn't Jan. 1-Dec. 31 back in those days), But I sincerely doubt that a scene airing just 10 weeks before the ceremony would have been eligible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 12, 2019 12:29 PM

Further proof that Irene Dailey did NOT win her Best Actress Emmy for the March 6, 1979 scenes posted above.

Judith Light won her first Daytime Emmy for Karen on the witness stand on OLTL. She won at the 7th Daytime Emmy Award ceremony held in 1980.

Her witness stand scenes aired on March 6, 1979.

Related info: AW expanded to 90 minutes on March 5, 1979, airing 2:30-4 p.m. (Eastern time). Thus, it was pitting the first 30 minutes of the new 90 minute AW against the second half of OLTL, which aired 2-3 p.m. (Eastern) for the first time. The Karen on the witness stand scenes were designed as counter programming to the expanded AW to keep OLTL viewers from switching over to AW at 2:30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98November 12, 2019 1:07 PM

Poster of R96 here. Thanks for clarifying the eligibility dates. As there are no 1978 episodes available as far as I know, I wonder what was submitted for Irene. I saw her last stage appearance, "The Father", with Frank Langella, and she should have gotten a Tony nomination that year, just as she should have for "The Subject Was Roses". I have a 1964 World's Fair program and it covers everything going on in NY including the theater. There are profiles of all the hit plays and musicals, and you could see Barbara Berjer, Constance Ford and Irene that season. Irene had not yet done daytime TV, Barbara was between stints on "Young Dr. Malone" and "As the World Turns" (with a short stint on "Edge of Night" in between), and Constance would start her role on "The Edge of Night" soon after. Irene deserved to be considered for supporting actress in 1980 for that scene.

Constance was in "Nobody Loves an Albatross" with Robert Preston, Irene in "Subject Was Rose", and Barbara was in "Dylan", which featured soap vets Ernest Graves, Jonathan Moore and Susan Willis, later the evil Helga on "All My Children".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 12, 2019 1:21 PM

Fascinating r99/r96. Thanks for sharing that. I'm sure Irene must have been mesmerizing on stage. Would have loved to have seen her opposite Jack Albertson and Martin Sheen.

by Anonymousreply 100November 12, 2019 1:36 PM

The thing that always struck me about Irene Dailey's Aunt Liz was that she carried a quiet sadness about her. Sadness that her husband was dead and she'd be alone for the rest of her life.

You could generally feel that pain in much of her performance. It was generally just under the surface, but it was always there.

Aside from Iris trying to pair Liz with Mac back in the mid 1970s, Liz didn't have a romantic life. Show didn't try to pair her with anyone. She and her brother-in-law Jim Matthews had many scenes together after they killed off his wife Marry Matthews, but the show never tried to make them a romantic duo.

by Anonymousreply 101November 12, 2019 2:32 PM

[quote]The thing that always struck me about Irene Dailey's Aunt Liz was that she carried a quiet sadness about her. Sadness that her husband was dead and she'd be alone for the rest of her life.

I don't know if this is true, but I did read somewhere that one of the scenes that earned Dailey the Emmy was Liz's reaction to Jim Matthews inviting her to lunch. No scenery chewing, no bigger-than-life moment, just the quiet surprise and gratitude of feeling included and valued by a family member who generally treated her as a nuisance.

by Anonymousreply 102November 12, 2019 2:37 PM

R101 Beautiful analysis! I also thought it was a subtle way that Irene Dailey dealt with her own single status. An interview when she was doing stage had her indicating "I shall be 40 soon and I am not married. All I have is my acting which I think is quite good." Something to that effect, not the exact quote. Liz always latched onto younger characters irregardless of whether they were related or not, hence her attachment to the Cory's. She seemed to have a soft spot for Matthew. At one point, she was in business with Nicole Love which is why she stopped working at Cory publishing.

Rachel used to ball her out for being a busybody, but after a while, Liz started to go to her to be honest about what beans she might have spilled, Sam's relation to Mitch Blake for one. Rachel basically admitted to her that she should have been honest with Mac from the start so she wasn't angry with Liz. In her last appearance, Liz admonished Rachel for being involved with Carl, and an amused Rachel simply told her that it was none of her business, but you could see that Rachel (and Victoria Wyndham) found the scene funny. I wish that they had kept Liz on after the 30th Anniversary party, even if it was just for special events, and eventually bring back daughter Susan, daughter-in-law Missy and grandson Ricky. It was forgotten that her side of the Matthews family did have a history. I'm glad that they kept Jim and Liz as warm friends, like brother and sister. At one point, they showed Brian Bancroft cuddling with Ada and Liz to keep warm when they were stranded somewhere in a snowstorm, and it looked like they were going to do a triangle there. I guess after Iris and Donna, Brian didn't want any more society rich bitches, even though Liz had started as one, much like Phoebe Tyler.

by Anonymousreply 103November 12, 2019 2:42 PM

I still can't believe AW has been off the air for 20 years now. Or that GL has been gone for 10 (and ATWT for nearly as long).

It seems like just yesterday I saw these lovely people.

by Anonymousreply 104November 12, 2019 2:52 PM

Liz's scenes with her granddaughter Julia Shearer, as played by a young Kyra Sedgwick, were always especially wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 105November 12, 2019 2:52 PM

Well, what do you know. I just looked up Julia Shearer on the Another World Home Page and found this tidbid relating to the discussion we had a little while ago about in which state Bay City was located.

[quote]Julia was the first character to refer to Bay City as being in Illinois. During her first scene in the van, she said she was headed for Bay City, Illinois. Previous to that time, Bay City's specific location was unspecified.

Julia debuted on the Jan 15, 1982 episode according to the Home Page. That would have been while Corine Jacker was the HW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106November 12, 2019 2:56 PM

In 1983, there were three Julia's and three Sally's. Even the short-term character of Janet Singleton was re-cast. Fortunately, we got Felicia and Donna in January and a few other major new characters later on. Anna Stuart's first episode only has her in one scene, being snotty to Sally, but the camera zooms in on her at the end of that scene to say, "She has arrived!" I loved Donna from that moment on.

by Anonymousreply 107November 12, 2019 3:10 PM

Van looks hot in that pic at R89, but I'm getting Mark Harris vibes off Tyler-- and it's not just the jacket.

by Anonymousreply 108November 12, 2019 8:24 PM

[quote] but I'm getting Mark Harris vibes off Tyler-- and it's not just the jacket.

Please explain what this statement means. I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

by Anonymousreply 109November 12, 2019 11:39 PM

Aunt Liz, I believe (but am not certain) that they're comparing Tyler to Mark Harris, who is a writer and also Tony Kushner's husband.

I can sort of see a mild resemblance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110November 13, 2019 3:40 AM

Did the Bay City Rollers sing S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y NIGHT!

by Anonymousreply 111November 13, 2019 4:02 AM

Wasn't Mark Harris married to Martha Raye?

by Anonymousreply 112November 13, 2019 11:04 AM

R112 That's a different Mark Harris. Perhaps the one R108 was referring to - a social climber with bad taste in jackets and a penchant for plastic surgery?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113November 13, 2019 11:18 AM

Yep, I was referring to Mr. Martha Raye.

by Anonymousreply 114November 13, 2019 12:53 PM

For those of us who don't know, please explain the significance of Mark Harris, aka Mr. Martha Raye.

by Anonymousreply 115November 13, 2019 2:47 PM

Getting back to Bay City, when Sofia Landon covered for Anna Stuart, it was as if they had found Anna's twin (one with a slightly lower voice) because I barely saw a difference. Watching old "GL" episodes when they are on screen a few times together as Diane Ballard and Vanessa Chamberlain was amusing, as Sofia's initial "AW" appearance as Jennifer Thatcher, brought by Donna to the Love house to let Sally know that Donna knew that Jennifer's son, Kevin, was really Sally's. After Diane Ballard was killed off, Soap Opera Digest reported on Sofia all the time, so somebody there must have been a big fan.

by Anonymousreply 116November 13, 2019 3:29 PM

He just reminded me of Mark Harris in that photo, R115, that's all. And aside from the Howard Stern show (where Harris infamously detailed his testicle lift), Datalounge is probably the only place where Mark Harris has ever had any significance whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 117November 13, 2019 4:23 PM

LittleMissSeattle, I should have known it was you causing all this trouble.

Watch it, toots!

by Anonymousreply 118November 13, 2019 10:53 PM

[quote] After Diane Ballard was killed off, Soap Opera Digest reported on Sofia all the time, so somebody there must have been a big fan.

She was also a writer on several shows....mostly in the 90s, if Wikipedia is to be believed.

by Anonymousreply 119November 13, 2019 10:54 PM

Is Beverly Penberthy's Gay Nephew still around these parts?

She's 87 years old!

by Anonymousreply 120November 13, 2019 11:05 PM

R119 I know she wrote for "Days of Our Lives" for quite a while. Her name was in the credits. If I recall, I also saw her name as a writer on "AMC" along with Louise Shaffer. Sofia played somebody's psychiatrist on that show as well. I also recall her in a small part on "As the World Turns", perhaps as a relative of Henry Lange's.

by Anonymousreply 121November 14, 2019 12:51 PM

On to the next thread, kiddos, this one has been brickwalled.

C'mon! You too Aunt Liz!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122November 14, 2019 3:32 PM

Word has it that the DL police have shut this party down! Yes, apparently this thread has been Murielled.

So, we're taking the party on the road. Join us at this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123November 15, 2019 12:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!