Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Smash Hits POLL results for the year 1980.

The most fanciable list is on there, so is Toyah - but there's so much more.

You'll have to click on it to read it...click twice for magnification.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2019 1:54 AM

As you can see - 1980 was very much the year of The Police, in England.

Best Single.

Best Album.

Band Of The Year.

by Anonymousreply 1October 6, 2019 6:33 PM

Best film of the year "Breaking Glass" LOL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 6, 2019 6:35 PM

1980: I was 8 yrs old. I only liked the music from Xanadu.

by Anonymousreply 3October 6, 2019 6:38 PM

I HATED Enola Gay.

That was really the start of the '80s synth sound.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 6, 2019 6:40 PM

Poor Kelly Marie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 6, 2019 6:45 PM

Sheena Easton was really a big deal in the U.K. where she made her 1980 debut. There was a tv program called The Big Time which chronicled her aspirations to be a pop star and documented her year long transformation from girl from Bellshill Scotland attending The Royal Academy to middle of the road pop star. Esther Rantzen (journalist /tv host) was responsible for discovering her and filming her progression from nobody to star for the BBC.

by Anonymousreply 6October 6, 2019 6:47 PM

[quote]Esther Rantzen (journalist /tv host) was responsible for discovering her

Blimey! Never knew that.

There's someone who should have been big in America. You know how much they love big teeth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 6, 2019 6:49 PM

Also... in the BBC documentary The Big Time (Sheena Easton), there is a hilarious segment where Lulu and her bitch manager tell a yet-unknown Sheena Easton that she will never be a pop star in the 80s. Talk about two jealousy!

by Anonymousreply 8October 6, 2019 6:51 PM

Lulu was dead musically by the 80s

by Anonymousreply 9October 7, 2019 1:19 AM

My ass is haunted

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2019 1:10 AM

It's good to see The Jame up there, but where the hell is The Clash?! The were the best band in 1980.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2019 1:35 AM

I want to bring "fanciable" back.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2019 1:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!