Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Lost In Space' Season 2

Returns December 24th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67April 18, 2020 4:48 PM

Season 1 thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2019 9:47 PM

Looks like no Parker Posey this time, which is a shame.

by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2019 9:55 PM

Oh, I take it back, she's there, I just missed her the first time through the trailer. NVM.

by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2019 9:56 PM

This is a quicker premiere date than thought. I liked S1 so I am pleased the wait won't be much longer.

by Anonymousreply 4October 5, 2019 9:56 PM

r2 You can see her at 0:43?

by Anonymousreply 5October 5, 2019 9:56 PM

She’s there. Eating a potato chip.

by Anonymousreply 6October 5, 2019 9:57 PM

Final trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2019 2:08 PM

Yay! We liked season one.

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2019 2:15 PM

I don't understand why it took 2 years between seasons though. I enjoyed it too.

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2019 2:59 PM

r9 You're right, the first one aired in April of last years, so almost two years now. Damn, how time flies.

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2019 3:09 PM

I think they'd have needed to start production of Season 2 before Season 1 aired to show them a year apart. Bit of a risk with a Sci-Fi show that might bomb.

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2019 3:50 PM

r11 But it's on Netflix, so at least two seasons would be kinda guaranteed. Especially with the name "Lost In Space" attached to it. That horrid "Another Life" got renewed recently as well, though I imagine that one costs peanuts compared to this show.

by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2019 3:59 PM

It's out, it's out, it's out!

by Anonymousreply 13December 24, 2019 10:08 AM

Looking forward to hearing DL's thoughts about season two. I was lukewarm on the first season and not sure I'll watch.

by Anonymousreply 14December 24, 2019 10:25 AM

Yeah, "Another Life" is crap. I barely made it through the first episode.

by Anonymousreply 15December 24, 2019 10:29 AM

Should have persevered. Once I embraced the shittiness, Another Life became the most hilarious show of 2019 for me. No sitcom made me laugh like that until I had tears streaming down my face. Same for Nightflyers. Truly the television equivalent of Cats.

by Anonymousreply 16December 24, 2019 10:42 AM

Damn you for making me reconsider Another Life.

by Anonymousreply 17December 24, 2019 11:31 AM

First episode was great. Established the mystery, which happens to be similar to the mystery in the current season of The Expanse.

And my god, Parker Posey! What a scene stealer. Yes, she sticks out, but the show would be pretty boring without her. Her villainy is such a delight to watch.

by Anonymousreply 18December 24, 2019 11:01 PM

It's a fun show, with an attractive cast. Posey is a treasure.

by Anonymousreply 19December 25, 2019 3:02 AM

I can't get over Posey casually stirring shit all over the place with that fanny pack around her waist. 😄

I wanna fuck Vijay so bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 25, 2019 3:34 PM

Finished it just now. Definitely better than the first season, although I enjoyed the first one as well. Can't believe it made me tear up several times.

The boy actor is now twice the size he was in the first season, but still not such a great actor. Toby Stephens is really trying his best with the American accent, but occasionally sounds vaguely Russian and also... weirdly like someone from Massachusetts?

Been perusing the show's subreddit and I see people (still) having a problem with Dr. Smith. She was one of my complaints in the first season as well as I didn't understand the motivations behind her seemingly random acts of chaos. But this season fleshes her out more. I do understand why Posey's character still throws people off - she's a tonally jarring campy element in an otherwise pretty serious family space drama. A bit like Lwaxana Troi in Star Trek, I think. You need to be a bit cynical and/or dark-humoured as a person in order to be able to appreciate her fully.

JJ Feild is a snack. Did you know he's Neve Campbell's long-term partner and they have two adopted kids together?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 26, 2019 1:17 AM

I want this papi inside me, under me, next to me... you name it.

His sister is gay. As for him... could go either way, judging by his Insta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 26, 2019 2:12 AM

One thing that bothered me was the devices displaying the metric system and then the characters doing the conversion to imperial units when saying those measurements out loud. Just pick one.

Possibly my favourite line of dialogue this season: "Why would our ship have a self-destruct sequence? Why would you want to blow up your own ship, that's insane." Nice dig at Star Trek.

Two seasons in and still no homosexuals in sight. Another one of those futures where homosexuality has seemingly been eradicated, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 23December 26, 2019 11:36 AM

Just binge watched the second season and it's quite fun. IMO a great sy fy adventure show. Posey is great as a mustache twirling villainess with the occasional bleeding heart / heart of gold.

by Anonymousreply 24December 26, 2019 6:49 PM

Maxwell is totally family

by Anonymousreply 25December 26, 2019 7:16 PM

He's a kid, so I don't want to speculate. Though he's already posting thirst traps, lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 26, 2019 7:20 PM

Fierce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 26, 2019 7:22 PM

Parker Posey's character pretty much ruined the first season for me, not that the show would've been perfect without her. They made a terrible decision to make her the big baddie since she was just so psychotic. I know some people enjoy watching cunts like her causing destruction but I've always hated seeing it. I remember loving Melrose Place when it premiered but then they turned it into a crazy psycho-drama on season 2. Obviously people loved it so there you go.

by Anonymousreply 28December 26, 2019 7:26 PM

She's more human this season and [SPOILER] turns good fairly quickly.

by Anonymousreply 29December 26, 2019 7:29 PM

Is it jus tme or did it look like Will would kiss the robot when Will fell right into the robot's arms? I mean, there's a friends' reunion and then there this intense scene with the look, the music, and the camera angle.

Smith isn't dead, right?

by Anonymousreply 30December 26, 2019 7:31 PM

Smith definitely isn't dead, although I have no idea how she escaped that situation. We'll get a flashback if there's a third season, for sure.

Anyone else thought it weird how the robot army awakened and killed hundreds(?) of settlers who were trying to leave the planet, yet no one acknowledged that loss? They specifically said only the Jupiter 2 with Will was returning, while several behind them were destroyed. Also, did we even see the captain of The Resolute in the finale? Seems weird they'd try to scupper the ship without her input, no?

by Anonymousreply 31December 26, 2019 9:17 PM

Only the Robinsons matter. The opinions, agency or even lives of other colonists are immaterial.

by Anonymousreply 32December 26, 2019 9:29 PM

I watched the second season over 2 days. Enjoyed it much better than the first.

I was a little confused with the ending when they found the Furtuna. Judy Robinson says the ship which was commanded by her biological father was lost for 20 years. Judy Robinson is supposed to be 18-19 years old? Her father went missing before she was born?

by Anonymousreply 33December 26, 2019 9:52 PM

Probably, yes. That's why she said "almost twenty years ago," which was probably intentional phrasing by the writers to keep the timelines in order. But wouldn't that have to mean her mom died in childbirth? Or has that been established already? I admit I FF'ed those dad-daughter moments in that one flashback episode.

by Anonymousreply 34December 26, 2019 9:58 PM

Judy is 19, which makes it entirely possible her dad disappeared almost 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 35December 27, 2019 6:13 AM

OK I gave in and started watching. I enjoyed the first episode but now that they're reunited with The Resolute the writing is getting stupid again. It's frustrating that a show can look this good, have a good cast doing good work, and be let down by the writing. It's not just the usual idiot ball stuff either, there are more fundamental problems. It's the second season and the writers still don't seem to have a handle on Dr. Smith or even a reason to keep her and Don around, other than they were in the original. And the arrogant Robinsons are frequently hard to like but I don't think the writers see that.

I'm almost halfway through so I guess I'll keep going. Penny remains my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 36December 28, 2019 2:40 PM

Watched the first episode of Season Two yesterday. I'm confused: At the end of Season One, the Jupiter 2 was diverted to the Planet of Evil Robots, right? Season Two opens with the Robinsons' homestead on that narrow strip of beach. Huh?

That's the problem with Netflix waiting over two fucking years to give us a new season. I don't have time to watch the entire previous season just to refresh my memory.

by Anonymousreply 37December 29, 2019 2:32 PM

r37 Yes, you are correct but... I don't want to spoil anything. Let's just say that the ending of the first episode tells you not everything is as it seems with that planet they're stranded on. Or indeed other planets in that system. By the end, you get what they promised you in season one.

by Anonymousreply 38December 29, 2019 2:38 PM

They had to do a time jump in the second season opener to accommodate young Maxwell being suddenly a foot taller.

It'd look strange if they continued straight on from the last scene of season one.

They will have to do the same in season 3 cause the kid will be another foot taller again and sound even more like a thousand purses dropped out of his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 39December 30, 2019 2:11 PM

Loved the second season and can't wait for the third.

A bit surprised by [R34] -Maureen is Judy's biological mother! We don't know much about her relationship with Judy's father (married? dating?) but in this day and age it's rather racist to assume that Maureen and John adopted Judy, rather than Maureen had a prior relationship with a black man –Which is pretty clearly explained in the story...

[R23] I'd also like to see a few homosexuals in this future world -But I suspect that qualifying for the colony on Alpha Centauri would favor straights, as they breed more easily. Still, you'd expect gay crew members on the main ship, along with some amongst the colonists. The school teacher did ping a bit for me, but I was too distracted by Don and John to really pay attention...

by Anonymousreply 40December 30, 2019 8:14 PM

It would be interesting if it turns out some colonists lied in their application and know every musical song there is by heart showing that "Smith" wasn't the only one who schemed her way into the Resolute. Or it would be nice if some gays were selected, because they have a skill or talent that is of great importance when it comes to colonization.

But then the show isn't really that big on romance so far. it's more about sy fy adventure, family, and survival.

by Anonymousreply 41December 30, 2019 8:30 PM

It's not racist and there's no need to throw accusations like that around. No one gets upset like that in real life. She just didn't look mixed race to me, that's all. It's now been clarified and I've adjusted the facts in my head, great.

I must have missed Maureen's relationship with her dad, but then I tend to FF the talky and saccharine moments, so no wonder.

by Anonymousreply 42December 30, 2019 8:33 PM

Oh, wait, didn't we get to see some of her previous life in the first season as well? Or am I conflating that with Nightflyers and/or Another Life? Anyway, I hope Judy's dad is still alive and gets back together with Maureen. I never liked Maureen's current relationship with Toby Stephens. It just isn't working for me.

by Anonymousreply 43December 30, 2019 8:42 PM

It's a weird show to remake since so much depends on the family dynamic, which was so big when the original show premiered and now is so not the thing in this day and age. It's also weird in 2019 to have a show where the central relationship is between the boy and the robot.

I watch it pretty much only for Toby Stephens, who is so hot.

by Anonymousreply 44December 30, 2019 8:47 PM

Any particular reason Toby Stephens couldn't just do his regular accent? Is there an in-universe reason for why he absolutely must be American?

Yes, the family dynamic seems dated, although I've seen people with families commenting on Reddit how they watched it together with their whole family and it was the perfect experience. Of course, the bitch in me jumped out and wanted to say that Netflix would actually prefer if they watched it separately and/or on separate devices so the show's numbers would look better...

by Anonymousreply 45December 30, 2019 8:56 PM

On the plus side, it's better than Nightflyers.

by Anonymousreply 46December 31, 2019 10:35 AM

Not even in the same galaxy as Nightflyers quality-wise, lol.

by Anonymousreply 47December 31, 2019 10:37 AM

I binged season 2 on Saturday. Over all I like both seasons because the production values are so great, but I'm still disappointed in the casting, especially the ridiculous female fake Dr. Smith. I'm sorry to say but I really wanted to slap Posey's face every time she appeared on camera.

by Anonymousreply 48December 31, 2019 10:51 AM

Oh, and another MAJOR disappointment was the lack of conversation ability with the robot. All that technology and the thing could only muster a couple of words at a time making it sound retarded. I wanted the robot and Will to be able to have conversations and develop more of a personal rapport with each other as they did in the old TV series. IMO they made the robot too frightening looking. They should have at least given him a lifelike face.

by Anonymousreply 49December 31, 2019 10:55 AM

Totally agree with you R48. I wanted to slap Posey in every one of her scenes too. And what about the stupid plot about the evil robots? That made no sense. And yes, having to guess wtf the good robot is thinking was tiresome to the point of giving up. Disappointed in season 2 overall.

by Anonymousreply 50December 31, 2019 1:43 PM

I don't understand the language barrier thing, either. They're incredibly advanced A.I., but they can't figure out language?

The evil robot development at the end confused me - why not just leave the evil robot die instead of waking up a fucking army of them and killing heaps of settlers in the process? Just lie to The Robot that you couldn't save his friend in time or something.

Parker Posey in this show is fabulous. A++ con artiste. With a fanny pack! Doesn't get much better than that, people.

by Anonymousreply 51December 31, 2019 1:48 PM

[quote]A++ con artiste. With a fanny pack!

Maureen wanted me to come out in a kimono so we had quite a fight.

by Anonymousreply 52December 31, 2019 3:50 PM

I think the number of people reacting so violently to Parker Posey's Dr. Smith is a tribute to the writers and to her as an actor. She is the bad guy, after all! Jonathan Harris created an iconic character, expanding his role from a six-episode guest villain to series star. How could any actor attempt to play that same character without being hopelessly mired in Harris impersonations? Posey's Dr. Smith is even more calculating and manipulative, but while Harris' Smith was mitigated by his soft heart and cowardice, Posey's is mitigated by the feeling that she is wounded, and at times vulnerable. Time will tell... (I hope!)

The writers have had their work cut out for them –Doing an homage to the original series, honoring the original characters, and updating the show for modern audience expectations. The family in the original series was a bit too perfect. The family in the later film was so dysfunctional that you wondered how they could possibly do anything at all together -Let alone establish a colony on another planet! In this new series the characters are allowed to be more three-dimensional, to have passions and faults. It makes for better drama and more engaging storylines.

Some unrelated opinions:

I like how the show is more female-centered. In the original Maureen Robinson was also a scientist, but she and her daughters were almost always used as hapless, helpless victims who needed rescuing. It passed the test for 60s audiences, but it sure wouldn't work today. Now all of the characters are more interesting and more realistic. It's a positive development that in the future women will be seen as equal leaders. When someone disagrees with them, they put down their ideas, not their gender.

Early in the series I started to miss the humor that Dr. Smith provided, but by the end os Season 2 it's clear that those duties have been passed off to Don West who, like the original Smith, starts off as a dishonorable character. But Don's bravery redeems him, and now that he has proven himself we can enjoy his roguishness. The biggest mistake the writers have made with the character is keeping his shirt on. The chicken seemed silly at first, but it's given us a chance to start seeing the real Don West, who is much more interesting than he first appeared.

The robot's storyline is interesting. Afraid I saw through the whole meteor-strike-alien-technology thing early in Season 1, so I've not been surprised by developments, My biggest criticism of the show is that it takes so long to develop some of the plot lines that it hurts some of the characters. The robot, in particular. I agree that he should be much more verbal, but it's clear that if he were it would give away what the writers seem to think are going to be surprise developments in future episodes... Hopefully Season 3 will bring rapid development of the character.

I haven't seen any acknowledgement of this anywhere, but I think the writers owe as much to Bill Mumy's comic book series (released by Innovation) as to the original television show. The entire alien technology thread is borrowed from that, as are some of the character dynamics. And the whole Season 2 opener lifts the major plot of Mumy's planned-but-never-filmed reunion movie (audio recording of a read-through included on the Lost In Space BluRay set). Mumy is a smart man, so I'm sure he has noticed what they have "borrowed" from him. I have seen him credited in any way beyond his guest-star status in a few episodes. I'd like to think they have either spoken with him about it, or even better -paid him something. (Who inherited the Irwin Allen estate? Wife Sheila died in 2013, and the couple had no children.)

The big question is, will there be a Season 3?? And how long will we have to wait for it?

by Anonymousreply 53December 31, 2019 6:19 PM

[quote]The biggest mistake the writers have made with the character is keeping his shirt on.

YES, omg! His nips in that decon chamber, the slight middle age spread... my mouth starts watering just thinking about him shirtless.

Lovely writeup, by the way. I enjoyed reading that.

by Anonymousreply 54December 31, 2019 6:28 PM

This really isn't "Lost In Space". In the original they were alone out in space going from Planet to planet meeting aliens. This is just dumb calamity after calamity. Here they have managed to find the original space station and colony again. That's not being lost or alone or in space.

Wish in episode 6 in the freezer in space escape they had the balls to go completely black screen with heavy scared breathing and bumping noises until the door was lifted. You could see their scared faces but there was no light in there. It would have been more exciting to be in there with them in the darkness not knowing what was happening.

by Anonymousreply 55January 4, 2020 10:59 PM

[quote]That's the problem with Netflix waiting over two fucking years to give us a new season. I don't have time to watch the entire previous season just to refresh my memory.

There's a recap at the beginning of episode 1 that you can watch or by pass.

[quote] I'm sorry to say but I really wanted to slap Posey's face every time she appeared on camera.

You're supposed to actually feel that way with this character. Ms Posey is doing her job.

by Anonymousreply 56January 4, 2020 11:04 PM

[quote]This really isn't "Lost In Space". In the original they were alone out in space going from Planet to planet meeting aliens.

That's too Star Trek by now.

[quote]Wish in episode 6 in the freezer in space escape they had the balls to go completely black screen with heavy scared breathing and bumping noises until the door was lifted. You could see their scared faces but there was no light in there. It would have been more exciting to be in there with them in the darkness not knowing what was happening.

I kinda liked watching and hearing Parker Posey's teeth/veneers chattering loudly. Laughed out loud at that, actually.

by Anonymousreply 57January 6, 2020 11:13 PM

R54, did you mean Toby Stephens? You can see (most of) him in all his hirsute glory in the series "Vexed."

by Anonymousreply 58January 9, 2020 10:34 AM

r58 I believe the poster I was quoting was talking about the actor who plays Don West, Ignacio Serricchio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 9, 2020 10:39 AM

The original Don was sexier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 9, 2020 12:14 PM

I think Posey is doing incredible work on this show. By far the most interesting character. How come super-scientist Maureen hasn't bothered wondering who or what built the robots?

by Anonymousreply 61January 9, 2020 12:43 PM

Sorry the original robot was cool. 1000 robots with disco faces, not so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 9, 2020 4:30 PM

r62 That looks so cheesy now.

by Anonymousreply 63January 9, 2020 4:32 PM

No it actually doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 64January 9, 2020 4:35 PM

I mean, I can only speak on my behalf - as can you - and yes, it does actually look cheesy to me.

by Anonymousreply 65January 9, 2020 4:37 PM

Thanks for the pics R59 and R60 for my soon-to-be recurring j/o fantasy of being playing middle man to the two Maj. Don Wests.

by Anonymousreply 66January 24, 2020 2:35 AM

I miss the strange creature encounters of the original show

by Anonymousreply 67April 18, 2020 4:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!