Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you read poetry?

Does anyone anymore?

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2019 1:11 PM

Yes. I’m currently reading Robert Frost.

by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2019 4:08 PM

I have renewed reading poetry. This year I read Frank O'Hara, some small hardcover collections by subject, an Oxford anthology of comic verse. I have some Wendy Cope volumes.

by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2019 4:11 PM

Yes. Last night I read from the works of Edna St. Vincent Millay. A contemporary of Robert Frost, I believe, R1.

by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2019 4:14 PM

Do song lyrics count?

by Anonymousreply 4October 5, 2019 4:46 PM

Does anybody still wear a hat?

by Anonymousreply 5October 5, 2019 4:47 PM

I'm fairly widely read but not in poetry.

by Anonymousreply 6October 5, 2019 4:52 PM

Occasionally Walt Whitman and ee Cummings - but in general, no. It is a fading art form. Probably because it’s way too slow. I mean, we don’t even take time to write anymore, AFAIK.

by Anonymousreply 7October 5, 2019 5:03 PM

Poetry will not die. It's never popular. Itivrs on because of what it is.

by Anonymousreply 8October 5, 2019 5:16 PM

Poetry is what language is for.

by Anonymousreply 9October 5, 2019 5:30 PM

What can be explained is not poetry.

by Anonymousreply 10October 5, 2019 5:33 PM

I

Do.

by Anonymousreply 11October 5, 2019 5:35 PM

Who

You?

by Anonymousreply 12October 5, 2019 5:43 PM

I read DataLounge poetry:

MARY! MARY! Quite Contrary.

by Anonymousreply 13October 5, 2019 5:48 PM

Evidently not, or they wouldn't have given the Nobel Prize to Bob Dylan.

by Anonymousreply 14October 5, 2019 5:53 PM

I’ve been rereading my Tory Dent. Autumn is the time to reap.

by Anonymousreply 15October 5, 2019 7:30 PM

It's funny, I used to devour poetry & long complex novels (for my age group) in highschool. Then in College I ill-advisedly took some bad pills from a quack Doctor for a skin condition and became very depressed, which killed my desire to read. I'm like a different person now.

Decades on I retain song lyrics better than anything else in my life and graze on short stories just fine, but I haven't ever returned to my enthusiastic teen habit of cover-to-cover barrelling through writing. It's not for lack of time or effort, I just can't get back into the right mindset. I fall into fugue just thinking about it. I figure I either sustained lobe damage or something in my soul just died after the tablets, but who knows. Perhaps it's to do with the jading of age, too (at least I hope so, that would make me feel less abnormal...)

I miss loving, reading and writing poetry. But now I look at NY Times poem or a slam video and feel my mind blank and stomach sink, as if I'm physically just unable to take it in.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2019 1:01 PM

I condole you r16. But that’s just aging.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2019 1:05 PM

no, i paint my life in prose

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2019 1:07 PM

I don't but I want to. Any recommendation? Something neither too complex nor too easy - just to get me into it.

R16 If you seriously want to start again, get a reading partner for a while or join a club. It will get you started. My friends and I did this when we started college - it worked. Also choose someone you know properly and are likely to run into- not someone who you can ghost, because then you will exactly do that and not read.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2019 1:08 PM

I have hated poetry since childhood . I skip all poetry.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2019 1:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!