Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

She’s a Rich Bitch! RuPaul Buys a $13.7 Mansion in Beverly Hills

Living the American Dream! Not too shabby for a musical one-hit-wonder who dropped out of high school.

International drag superstar RuPaul Charles has substantially upsized his residential circumstances in Los Angeles with the $13.7 million purchase of an extravagant mansion along a premiere street in the lower Coldwater Canyon area of Beverly Hills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88January 3, 2020 12:52 PM

A link that works:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 3, 2019 10:10 PM

I wish his mother lived to see him achieve this level of success.

by Anonymousreply 2October 3, 2019 10:10 PM

Good for him. He's worked hard for it.

by Anonymousreply 3October 3, 2019 10:11 PM

[quote]Living the American Dream! Not too shabby for a musical one-hit-wonder who dropped out of high school.

He's a lot more than that and he's worked his ass off for years.

He was even in England promoting International drag superstar just this week.

by Anonymousreply 4October 3, 2019 10:14 PM

Link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 3, 2019 10:15 PM

This needed to be a Tasteful Friends title.

The mansion is tacky as shit but most definitely opulent. Good for him!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 3, 2019 10:17 PM

Good for him. From go-go gal to Beverly Hills, and a lot of discarded blonde wigs along the way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 3, 2019 11:01 PM

He’s raking in that kind of money??? Wow!

by Anonymousreply 8October 3, 2019 11:26 PM

Drag Race is aired around the world. Ru recently launched a line of makeup sold on QVC. I’m sure that a clothing line will be next.

What happened to that talent show that had Ru and Drew Barrymore as judges? What happened to the RuPaul Talk Show from earlier this summer? Will it come back?

by Anonymousreply 9October 3, 2019 11:37 PM

I always applaud people who came from nothing, put in the work, and makes it. That's why I will always love Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 10October 3, 2019 11:41 PM

Good for her aside, the interiors are nice but the exterior is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2019 11:49 PM

R9, I predicted that the talk show would flop and I was right. Ru is amazing on Drag Race, but he doesn't translate outside of it. He's tried several times, but Ru out of drag is not that likable.

by Anonymousreply 12October 3, 2019 11:51 PM

Exactly R12. He’s not an engaging or nice person. He’s perfect as a judge and drag creative - but beyond that, he’s not particularly marketable. He’s rode the trans wave. Good for him. Not a lovely person but success is deserved.

by Anonymousreply 13October 4, 2019 4:27 AM

He's a nice person and deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 14October 4, 2019 4:32 AM

I’d be prickly if treated like a zoo animal.

Plus, he’s asked to represent a wide range of ugly motherfuckers simply by performing.

by Anonymousreply 15October 4, 2019 4:52 AM

R13, Ru is not trans. He didn't ride that wave at all. He made drag mainstream. I am not into drag or that world, but I totally respect what he did. He carved out his own niche.

by Anonymousreply 16October 4, 2019 5:02 AM

Good for him, he's earned it, although for the life of me I'll never understand why two people would need that much house.

by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2019 11:42 PM

Laugh if you want, but I love Sissy that Walk and, You Better Work. My go to jam when I'm cleaning.

by Anonymousreply 18October 11, 2019 11:47 PM

Sissy That Walk and Ladyboy and Back to My Roots are among the handful of songs that are actually listenable.

by Anonymousreply 19October 11, 2019 11:53 PM

That entrance way is EVERYTHING. This is some fierce Beverly Hills bitch realness

by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2019 11:54 PM

Good for Ru. He deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 21October 12, 2019 12:32 AM

I guess he can afford really hot rent boys.

by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2019 5:21 AM

He looks better as a drag queen than he does as a man.

by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2019 6:27 AM

Get fire insurance, honeychile!

by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2019 6:32 AM

A point to add to r12's post - he was on Graham Norton to promote his new UK show and it was uncomfortable viewing. His responses were vague and his (rehearsed) anecdotes fell flat due to apparent memory loss. He received plenty of support from the ever jovial Norton and his fellow guests but his contribution felt need to leave the room awkward.

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2019 7:58 AM

Yes, r25, I saw it. He was boring, I find his show boring. Most of those men are so vapid and vacuous, it's painful.

Using want to learn to 'read', 'sissy that walk' or 'sashay away'. He's perpetuating stereotypes about gay men.

If find the men on this show largely with no sex appeal, no marketable skills beyond dress up and moving mouths to a track. Those reading session are particularly egregious; young (some) insescure gay men insulting each other. No. No. No. This is what the straight world imagined gay life is.

They don't imagine we're everywhere, as doctors, lawyers, teachers, politicians (thank Buttigguig). Then again, it has been said, once straight people are into it, it's practically over, in my opinion, it is.

Saying that, I'm happy that he used the few skills he had to spot an opening in the market, and use that to name mllions.im really happy for him.

Also, in the interest of science, I want to see his 'meaty' tuck from start to finish.

by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2019 8:48 AM

Her 'appeal' has always eluded us.

She is not funny, clever, or interesting in any way.

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2019 10:21 AM

"They don't imagine we're everywhere, as doctors, lawyers, teachers, politicians (thank Buttigguig)"

What an empowering sentiment. And misspelling the name of the openly gay presidential candidate really hammers home the shallowness of your convictions.

by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2019 10:31 AM

13 million dollars worth of tacky.

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2019 10:42 AM

R28 Why are you focusing on a single misspelled word (which let's be frank, is a fairly odd one) and not the core of his argument?

by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2019 11:17 AM

trust, she will die in poverty.....

by Anonymousreply 31October 12, 2019 11:56 AM

Why she pay the queens so little? they make the show, she sux.

by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2019 12:08 PM

The only exterior looks Arabic chic but the interior is not bad.

by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2019 12:21 PM

The whole thing is very Beverly Hills dahlink. Good for Ru.

That Variety article was so sassy and snappy! Mark David is serving you journalistic fagulosity and feeling each one of his oats Mama!

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2019 12:31 PM

Hi Mama r34

by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2019 12:43 PM

He was funny on Graham Norton, just some bitter pills here.

by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2019 2:09 PM

His anecdote on Graham Norton about being rude to waitstaff ("Walk this way, please." "I'll be the judge of that!") was weird. He thinks that his faux rudeness is playful and adorable but it's just shitty and alienating. Throw shade at your friends who know you and know when you're joking, not at strangers who are just trying to do their job by showing you to your table in a restaurant.

He's told other stories on his podcast that are similar to this one where he seems oblivious to other people's feelings when he says something "playfully" rude that is in fact just flat out rude.

by Anonymousreply 37October 12, 2019 2:20 PM

If you can afford a house like that, you can afford to be a rude Cunt!

by Anonymousreply 38October 12, 2019 2:26 PM

So proud of Ru Paul! She deserves everything she’s gotten

by Anonymousreply 39October 12, 2019 2:30 PM

I am with r10. Rupaul is black, gay and was poor so he gets 3 gold stars from me. The fourth star will come when he -- like Oprah -- finds a humanitarian purpose in which to invest his money and talent.

I am surprised that, nearing 60, he wants a place with so many stairs. To each his own. Brava.

by Anonymousreply 40October 12, 2019 2:39 PM

[quote] They don't imagine we're everywhere, as doctors, lawyers, teachers, politicians (thank Buttigguig). Then again, it has been said, once straight people are into it, it's practically over, in my opinion, it is.

Well, Quite Contrary Mary, I hope you get read by a whole season's worth of insecure drag queens for misspelling Mayor Pete BUTTIGIEG's surname.

by Anonymousreply 41October 12, 2019 2:52 PM

RuPaul can't connect with other people. He can mask it with Drag Queen shade and mannerisms, but most often you can almost see the wall that's between him and the rest. Maybe he's a sociopath or just plain terrified of people (when he's having that look on his face like a reindeer seeing a car's headlights). It partly works on Drag Race, but not on his other show ventures.

by Anonymousreply 42October 12, 2019 2:57 PM

Well, let's be fair here. Most celebrities/creative people have trouble connecting with other people. They can put on an act for sort spurts, but it can be tough. And I'm sure a lot of it is rooted in childhood where the "different" kids aren't as popular as the more traditional kids.

And In Rupaul's case, she's reached a certain level of fame that probably makes it hard to connect with just anybody. People are constantly trying to hit her up for something, so it becomes to know who to trust.

And more importantly, I think Ru has reached a point in her life where she is just over the Millenial/Gen Z thing. (I typed Millennial/Gen Z nonsense at first, but that's not fair). With that group, it seems like everything is a trigger, an aggressive act, everyone needs an award, everyone needs one on one special attention and if they don't get it, it means that they aren't being heard or being seen or aren't being allowed to be who they are. Ru and Lady Bunny and that whole 80s/90s club kid crowd (and quite a few of us jaded GenXers) just roll their eyes at all that, so they come across as being out of touch, dated, insensitive, aloof, and uncaring.

by Anonymousreply 43October 12, 2019 3:55 PM

[quote]And In Rupaul's case, she's reached a certain level of fame that probably makes it hard to connect with just anybody. People are constantly trying to hit her up for something, so it becomes to know who to trust.

RuPaul is a boy, Dear.

by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2019 6:23 PM

"I am surprised that, nearing 60, he wants a place with so many stairs."

Thanks for the reminder, r40.

Also, RuPaul, out of drag, is not as funny as Lily Savage.

by Anonymousreply 45October 20, 2019 9:05 PM

[quote]I always applaud people who came from nothing, put in the work, and makes it. That's why I will always love Oprah.

Same here. I think she's a obviously out-of-touch these days, but I will never begrudge her her wealth. How could you? That's why Alec Baldwin needs a punch in the face for what he said about wealthy people being targets. Stupid LI trash. No one gives a fuck that you're wealthy, but if you came from wealth or made your wealth, but use it to fuck over people, like the Kochs or the Mercers or Adelson or Trump or Betsy D and her scumbag brother, then you deserve the hate. Notice people don't attack someone like Warren Buffett or even Bill Gates doesn't get as much hate as other wealthy people.

Being wealthy is never the issue.

by Anonymousreply 46October 20, 2019 9:12 PM

I haven't listened to his podcast in a long time (except for the truncated interview with DL fave Miles Heizer) but I recall Ru mentioning how his mother basically took to her bed when she and Ru's father divorced. I think Ru subsisted on toast. It doesn't surprise me that he's remote and very self sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 47October 20, 2019 9:19 PM

Ru preached peace and love for Trump. Yes, he did. He's very flaky and not at all witty or even basically intelligent without an ear piece. His old 90s TV show painfully proved that. He's quite dumb outside of his catchphrases and he's far too old to be acting that way OUT of drag. I don't like the guy and I know some people from that show. He's just not nice or generous or even personable. Every now and then, someone delights him and he'll promote them. But he's just an old fag into Divas and disco memories. He wants to live in Cher songs and Dolly land and what you see is all you get. The rest is AIDS meds and new age healings, vague spiritual crap.

The ugly bitch did work hard for it and capitalized on a good concept. He has little talent and deserves no credit for his famous presentation. He could be more magnanimous and generous to the ones who really make him the money - but he's not. His treatment of Mathieu Anderson was particularly shitty. Katya did an interview this week and while she praised Ru for being THE BITCH, she also mentioned seeing him in a restaurant recently, and that Ru gave her the finger as a way of saying don't approach me here. Stories like this are everywhere. RuPaul is not a kind or healthy 58 year old man. He might as well go out in delusion like Norma Desmond, ensconced in anachronistic mansion, surrounded by his Emmys and paid boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 48October 20, 2019 9:36 PM

Im having visions of Norma Desmond 2040.....

by Anonymousreply 49October 20, 2019 9:46 PM

He.

RuPaul is a man, and has never claimed to be a woman. He’s a gay drag performer.

He.

by Anonymousreply 50October 20, 2019 9:53 PM

r50's got HeMail.

by Anonymousreply 51October 20, 2019 9:56 PM

They call them the girls and all the queens on the show refer to each other as she. That's protocol R50. RuPaul IS a man. And it was fun when he delighted in saying "tranny hooker realness" or you've got SheMale. We get that. And he throws lots of Pit Crew beefcake our way too. But I wouldn't get too hung up on personal pronouns when talking about a show about Drag Queens. Rupaul is a drag queen. That used to be disruptive. He only did it for money and only at night. He used to say he was a psychological female. That's the man we remember and like. But when he appears as his alien looking, new age, addled male self - no one enjoys that quite as much. Rupaul is a man, but he'll always be more famous as a SHE.

by Anonymousreply 52October 20, 2019 10:08 PM

Mansion bump

by Anonymousreply 53December 12, 2019 3:00 PM

Love it! I wish his old friend Nelson Sullivan could have watched his rise. He made videos of their crew in the Eighties, which can be seen on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 54December 12, 2019 3:05 PM

I thought He lived on a ranch with his husband in Wyoming??

by Anonymousreply 55December 12, 2019 3:11 PM

Totally cheap-looking. It seriously looks like Faux Mansion by Home Depot. What a tacky mess.

by Anonymousreply 56December 12, 2019 3:11 PM

R55 perhaps divorce is in their future!

by Anonymousreply 57December 12, 2019 3:19 PM

R48 BINGO

by Anonymousreply 58December 12, 2019 3:20 PM

Sure he works hard but that place is ostentatious and unwelcome. Bitch has some dull idea of luxury.

by Anonymousreply 59December 12, 2019 3:31 PM

Ru understood the same thing Andy Warhol understood. In America, the way to change culture is to move all the way to the very edge and declare it the new middle. Everyone will be rebuilt around you.

by Anonymousreply 60December 12, 2019 3:41 PM

And yet Drag Race has thrived by becoming milquetoast and appealing to the masses, rather than "the edge" which drag used to be.

R60 🙄🙄🙄

by Anonymousreply 61December 12, 2019 3:59 PM

Which makes what Ru has done all the more impressive.

by Anonymousreply 62December 12, 2019 4:37 PM

I just watched that Burns' documentary on Warhol, too, R60. Your move-to-the-edge quote is from it, spoken by the brilliant art critic, if I recall correctly, Dave Hickey. Ru would have been on Andy's radar, I'm guessing. Nelson Sullivan certainly was.

by Anonymousreply 63December 12, 2019 4:41 PM

What exactly did Warhol bring from the edge to the center of the culture, exactly? Shallowness and the exploitation of lost soul drugs addicts with trust friends?

by Anonymousreply 64December 12, 2019 4:43 PM

*trust friends

by Anonymousreply 65December 12, 2019 4:44 PM

*trust funds

(FUCKING predictive text)

by Anonymousreply 66December 12, 2019 4:44 PM

His gay aesthetic, R65. Camp, homoeroticism and gay wit. The demimonde, etc etc.

by Anonymousreply 67December 12, 2019 4:45 PM

Oops, for R64.

by Anonymousreply 68December 12, 2019 4:46 PM

Chicks with dicks, R64. Warhol brought them front and center.

by Anonymousreply 69December 12, 2019 4:53 PM

And for that we thank him!

by Anonymousreply 70December 12, 2019 4:55 PM

R60: lol I love how artistes feed into their own bullshit. Warhol was a product of his time- simply lucky to be in the right place at the right time. The legacy of his artwork is bargain bin pop-art posters fished out of clearances bins at Target. As a previous user said, his fame was also built on exploiting the misery of others, as so many of these "club kids" are known to do under the guise of progressivism.

Ru is in another league. A flamboyant black gay man stayed true to himself and built an empire. His story is not that of Warhol's, nor his success the same. Ru experienced a lot of success because she is gorgeous and smart enough to know how to monetize beauty. I will always respect Ru for what he has done for the community and people of color.

by Anonymousreply 71December 12, 2019 5:35 PM

Warhol art continues to break auction records, R71, and has for decades, and your slur of Warhol is quite irrelevant to a supposed race issue (yawn) you feel compelled to drag into your argument.

by Anonymousreply 72December 12, 2019 6:36 PM

R26, Rupaul is an effeminate gay man and a drag queen he IS a stereotype. Stereotypes exist, so what, deal with it.

So gay men aren't allowed to poke fun at each other because "What Will The Straights Think?!" Lol So would you rather us sit in a corner and cry every time someone insults us? Get over yourself, princess, and get into the real world.

Most of the queens that have been on the show had/have worked ordinary mundane jobs; teaching, office work, assistant work, social work, civil services, etc,. Your entire comment here is more about "What Will The Straights Think Of Us!" than it is about anything else. It's aimless and appears to come from a place of insecurity.

by Anonymousreply 73December 12, 2019 6:41 PM

The staircase is perfect for descending in a dramatic entrance to greet your guests.

by Anonymousreply 74December 12, 2019 6:59 PM

I would not be surprised if he flipped it in a year or so.

by Anonymousreply 75December 12, 2019 7:03 PM

R72: what does the amount rich people (a strikingly small percentage of the population) spend on overpriced art have to do with its quality or impact? 120K was just spent on a banana taped to a wall. Most of these over the top art purchases are tax havens anyway.

by Anonymousreply 76December 12, 2019 9:32 PM

Well it is game of musical chairs, R76, and sooner a lot of afluent people will get their tits caught in the wringer with their art purchases (to mix a metaphor). Thing is, they can afford a financial hit over some silly art because their wealth is so disproportional. The larger issue you should be pondering is how to fix your very broken Republic. A one-percenter might ask you: Why do you put up with it? Why are you so easily bought off with $50k a year, two-weeks vacay, a huge medical co-pay, lousy food, lousy schools, bad prospects, crumbling infrastructure, etc, etc, etc? How is it that others have so much control over your life? What exactly is the NRA's hold over you? And the banks? Why do you feel the need to sedate yourself with so many chemicals to get through life? What will it take? Well think about it R76 and get back to me in March. I'm off to the Biaritz with the fam. Ta ta.

by Anonymousreply 77December 12, 2019 10:17 PM

Oopsie, Biarritz, darlings.

by Anonymousreply 78December 12, 2019 10:31 PM

R77: gurl, direct that energy elsewhere. What in my original comment would imply I DON'T agree with all of that? America is definitely broken.

by Anonymousreply 79December 12, 2019 10:35 PM

I would love a huge co-pay!

by Anonymousreply 80December 12, 2019 10:36 PM

RuPaul's former home was over the top color and, well, over the top everything. I have a feeling she'll redo this place big-time. I can't really see RuPaul wanting that library as it exists today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 12, 2019 10:50 PM

Is she really going to live there or is it an investment buy?

I personally don't like her, but more power to a bitch that can hustle all that into this

by Anonymousreply 82January 1, 2020 3:17 PM

Ru’s daytime talk show is dead.

If the Netflix show is a bomb, he’s going to have to do Drag Race for decades in order to pay off that mansion!

by Anonymousreply 83January 3, 2020 12:40 AM

I'd rather he made that kind of money than many other people in entertainment industry today (Kardashians, various influencers, anybody propped up by Andy Cohen, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 84January 3, 2020 1:02 AM

R84 he's the same as all of them.

by Anonymousreply 85January 3, 2020 3:08 AM

It's all on credit. Everything these people have is on credit. I mean, c' mon. America is a mirage.

by Anonymousreply 86January 3, 2020 3:20 AM

[quote]I will always respect Ru for what he has done for the community and people of color.

And WHAT might that be??

The new house is very "Persian Beverly Hills" at best. That room with the built in bar and wood trim is a tacky mess.

by Anonymousreply 87January 3, 2020 6:29 AM

[quote]It's all on credit. Everything these people have is on credit. I mean, c' mon. America is a mirage.

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!! Finally someone who gets it.

I can't wait for the next economic collapse when we finally get to see who's actually wearing pants.

by Anonymousreply 88January 3, 2020 12:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!