Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

CrossFit Story

Read this homosexual’s story and comment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109October 19, 2019 10:16 AM

Yawn. Pure narcissism.

by Anonymousreply 1October 1, 2019 1:18 PM

That sounds like homework, no thank you.

by Anonymousreply 2October 1, 2019 1:24 PM

The Gays, especially the vapid, stupid ones in LA and NYC, are a fickle bunch. Once the next new shiny object appears on the horizon, they will move on to it, like lemmings to the sea.

by Anonymousreply 3October 1, 2019 1:25 PM

I had a very close friend who was a certified CrossFit trainer and it did sound completely crazy. He was very careful and responsible about it (and very strong) but it seemed a little unsafe.

It also did have a quasi-religious vibe to it, strange, although he was from a more religious part of the country. I wonder if it would be the same here in NYC...anyone ever been to a CrossFit class in this city?

by Anonymousreply 4October 1, 2019 1:41 PM

Bob Harper, of Biggest Loser game, was really obsessively into CrossFit until he collapsed in cardiac arrest on the floor of the gym. At that time (and maybe still?) the CrossFit boxes in Weho attracted the A gay set but they were pretty insular and dated each other.

My friend saw Bob a few weeks ago at hot yoga. He said he’s a nice guy but he was now singing the praises of hot yoga as a miracle workout just as he has with CrossFit so yeah I think certain workout like certain diets attract people who for whatever reason buy into them 1000% and make it the focal point of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 5October 1, 2019 1:41 PM

I loved that his mom commented.

by Anonymousreply 6October 1, 2019 1:52 PM

Yes, R1, it's "pure narcissism," but aren't all gym stories? He's pretty funny. He's very self-deprecating...the poor Jewish guy with the spray tan who'll never get the goy. He's the Gay Woody Allen! Jonathan is his Diane Keaton.

by Anonymousreply 7October 1, 2019 1:55 PM

CrossFit is stupid and dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 8October 1, 2019 1:59 PM

That article is well written and funny without being obnoxious. Clearly too good to be on Logo's marketing affair.

by Anonymousreply 9October 1, 2019 2:07 PM

That article is well written and funny without being obnoxious. Clearly too good to be on Logo's marketing affair.

by Anonymousreply 10October 1, 2019 2:07 PM

He's cute and funny. From Ben's Instagram:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2019 2:07 PM

CrossFit is life-changing, gay friendly, and transcendent! This person was obviously just in the wrong mindset! It's a fantastic, non-cultish organization! Let us all chant!

by Anonymousreply 12October 1, 2019 2:08 PM

Well he was, by his own admission, on drugs and drunk for most of it R12. Which is why I think it would be very funny to hear from "Jonathan" or any of the other people in the story.

by Anonymousreply 13October 1, 2019 2:16 PM

I love how Logo's Twitter queen can't spell check his tweets. A quality organization!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 1, 2019 2:22 PM

R13 he's Jewish and self-deprecating. Somehow I doubt very much he was quite as high or drunk as he claims in his essay. It's funnier.

by Anonymousreply 15October 1, 2019 2:24 PM

CrossFit is really rewarding when you take it seriously, but it’s not for everyone. You have to leave your ego at the door, otherwise, you get injured, as I have.

I found this piece interesting because it illustrates the weird relationship gay men have with CrossFit. It’s honestly not THAT scary and awful.

by Anonymousreply 16October 1, 2019 2:27 PM

[R14] She’s probably drunk/high

by Anonymousreply 17October 1, 2019 2:32 PM

You can also tell in the responses to that Twitter post who the grumpy CrossFit cultists are. They hate anyone insulting them.

by Anonymousreply 18October 1, 2019 2:34 PM

She looks like a gorgeous woman!

by Anonymousreply 19October 1, 2019 2:36 PM

There are exactly two responses to that Twitter post R18

One of which is grumpy, the other is glowingly positive.

#PleaseTryHarder

by Anonymousreply 20October 1, 2019 2:49 PM

Hi, YMF!

by Anonymousreply 21October 1, 2019 3:09 PM

Crossfit puts your body under a lot off physical stress. When you have preexisting conditions, you are not aware of, it's gonna get ugly real fast. Of course, guys want to power through, because they don't want to be perceived as pussies by their peers for quitting.

by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2019 3:16 PM

It’s the cost of Cross Fit...$150 - $200 every month. My gym membership is $13 every month. What about Cross Fit that makes the expense worth it? Nothing, as far as I can tell.

by Anonymousreply 23October 1, 2019 3:27 PM

R20 I think you mean please try header.

by Anonymousreply 24October 1, 2019 3:28 PM

R23 it turns you into a GOD, until your body breaks down! The peasants of flyover country could never understand! #yanggang #uws4lyfe #trustfund

by Anonymousreply 25October 1, 2019 3:30 PM

R23, the attainment of a smug sense of superiority and cult-like feeling of belonging to something exclusive is something that is priceless. You mortals will never understand our success.

by Anonymousreply 26October 1, 2019 3:31 PM

You, Ben......seem fatiguing to be around.

by Anonymousreply 27October 1, 2019 3:37 PM

Well at least SoulCycle isn't a cult like this Cross Fit stuff.

by Anonymousreply 28October 1, 2019 3:39 PM

I love the linked writing. Way better than I expected!

“I quit once in the middle of a particularly awful workout, prompting the instructor, Cliff, a sweet boy from Oklahoma who looked like an Aryan superhero, to ask how he should record my score. Feeling in that moment vastly, innately inferior to Cliff, I lightly suggested he “just put a swastika.” When I looked back at the board, I found that Cliff had indeed drawn a small orange swastika next to my name. I rushed to erase it, warning Cliff that he could have really gotten himself in trouble.”

by Anonymousreply 29October 1, 2019 3:45 PM

I actually don't believe the swastika part. Who can even draw one of those? They're confusing.

by Anonymousreply 30October 1, 2019 3:48 PM

A few years ago, I went in for surgery on my shoulder. My rotator cuff had become frizzed. As I was being wheeled in, the nurse said, "Do you do Crossfit?" And I said "no." She said "Good. I'll always have a job as long as there's CrossFit."

by Anonymousreply 31October 1, 2019 4:17 PM

They do the movements too quickly to ensure the form is correct. You're rushing from exercise to exercise as fast as possible. The Millennials who love this will find out the hard way as their joints wear down faster than people who don't abuse them.

by Anonymousreply 32October 1, 2019 4:20 PM

[quote]The peasants of flyover country could never understand!

Do you think we don't have CrossFit in "flyover" country? There are at least five groups within 15 minutes of my house.

by Anonymousreply 33October 1, 2019 4:22 PM

It’s interesting how DL is so anti-CrossFit. I’ve done it for years and have had only a couple minor injuries, mostly because I was being overly competitive. Only one required a trip to my doctor because I didn’t bandage something correctly. I’ve injured myself many more times while running/jogging.

When you think about it, it’s safer to workout under the supervision of a CrossFit coach. Many times I’ve seen people with unsafe form or doing crazy movements in traditional gyms, from bench presses without a spot, to deadlifts with a rounded back.

by Anonymousreply 34October 1, 2019 4:43 PM

R34 that's what personal trainers are for.

by Anonymousreply 35October 1, 2019 4:44 PM

R34/OP makes very valid points

The people who get injured at CrossFit are the same people who'd get injured at any sport or exercise activity--mostly guys in their late 30s to late 40s who forget that they're not 22 anymore and try and jump back into doing things they could do when they were in college. You can substitute anything from kayaking to skiing to running to kickboxing for CrossFit and you'd get the same results.

One thing for DLers to be aware of is that CrossFits are NOT franchises--they are individually owned and the owners just pay an affiliate fee to the main organization. That means quality can vary widely depending on the owners so it's best to check out a few places before you commit (and if they don't let you do an intro session or two first, that should be a red flag.)

One thing you should find across all CrossFits is that people are very welcoming and supportive--that's a key part of the experience and why they've been so successful. That often includes social events--depending on the age and marital status of the membership that seems to be anything from a couple times a month to a couple times a year.

You're paying for what should be close to personal training--someone to program for you and someone to watch your form and work with you on mobility. And for you DLEGs, mobility is the most important thing, especially for those of you over 60.

You will likely find people of all ages and abilities from teens up through 60-somethings. There's a long learning curve and most people scale (do a less intense version of the workout) for their first few years.

It's also very efficient. You are in and out in an hour.

And I will end what is fast becoming a sales pitch with this story about Jacinto, a CrossFit legend. Jacinto is 80 (not a typo) and owns a gym in Brooklyn and still works out all the time--see video at link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 1, 2019 5:18 PM

[R35] As someone who has used personal trainers, group exercise and CrossFit is so much more fun, more sexual tension and comraderie.

by Anonymousreply 37October 1, 2019 5:22 PM

Group exercise doesn't have to be cultish and pushed as fast as possible, r37, which leads to injuries and death. Remember that Maryland guy who was partially decapitated during a "Cindy" done wrong??

by Anonymousreply 38October 1, 2019 10:26 PM

I thought the "Cross" in CrossFit was referring to Jesus On The CROSS.

Aren't they a bunch of crazy Xtians?

by Anonymousreply 39October 1, 2019 10:30 PM

Anything MyMillennialEnemy shills has to be shit and evil.

by Anonymousreply 40October 1, 2019 10:32 PM

You're right R38

You're wise to stick to Prancersize.

Though I heard about a woman in Kansas who got spooked by a car horn when doing it and she ran right into traffic and got hit by a car.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 1, 2019 10:41 PM

And hey BPC at R21-- just saw that. Hope all is well.

by Anonymousreply 42October 1, 2019 10:43 PM

I think you guys don’t have an accurate view of CrossFit, it’s really not this thing where you’re trying just to move as quickly as possible. The goal sometimes is to get as many rounds as possible WITH proper technique. That’s why at quality boxes they have intro classes where you learn about technique and how to scale things appropriately for your ability. An example: I jump onto a 20” box because I have big size 15 feet and don’t feel comfortable going any higher at the moment. When I’m back to feeling comfortable with 24” box again, I’ll do it. At any rate, I wish more gay men would get into CrossFit, it’s great.

by Anonymousreply 43October 2, 2019 12:43 AM

Sounds like they don’t teach proper form. Even some personal trainers don’t prioritize form.

It’s the MOST important part of working out. More so than amount of weight or number of reps.

I have a neighbor that works out an hour every day at home, sometimes longer. He has HORRIBLE form I don’t know how he isn’t in the hospital.

I’ve lived beside him for one year and his is fatter and more out of shape than when I moved here.

Complete idiot.

by Anonymousreply 44October 2, 2019 1:09 AM

R39 some of the classes are, it depends on where you go. Churches are actually copying some of their methods to create their own Crossfit-style "Excercisin for Jesus" classes and sermons.

by Anonymousreply 45October 2, 2019 1:16 AM

R44 the issue becomes when you are trying to get a set of exercises done as FAST as possible. Good form is the first thing to go. That's part of the reason CrossFit (or CF, for you, acronym-loving YourMillennialFriend) is blamed for a lot of joint injuries.

by Anonymousreply 46October 2, 2019 1:18 AM

A good CrossFit will be all about form R44 and will not let people injure themselves or use bad form.

It's drilled in from Day 1-- do not go heavier than you can lift correctly, practice your form, and if you feel your form going, then scale down to a lower weight. That's what you're paying for too--someone to watch you and correct your form and eventually the coaches should know you well enough to say "that's going to be too heavy for you, maybe you should go lighter."

Go to any CF board and they will be mocking the bad form of people who lift at "globo" gyms

In terms of competition, most people don't care. Yes, they write the scores down but maybe 10% of the members actually care and compete. The other 90% are just there to get a good workout and maybe do better than they did six months prior.

by Anonymousreply 47October 2, 2019 1:29 AM

It seems like you had a bad experience with CrossFit (or a CrossFitter?) R46-- you've contributed a number of negative posts to this thread.

Can you tell us what happened?

by Anonymousreply 48October 2, 2019 1:34 AM

.....and after his meaningful crossfit journey, Steve discovered he was still uber nelly.

by Anonymousreply 49October 2, 2019 1:35 AM

Great question, YMF. Yes [R46] please tell us what happened. I went to a bad CrossFit box in TX once, so they’re out there.

As for the speed vs. form comment, there are some movement that require speed such as snatches and cleans to get under the bar. Check out the Rogue or Matt Fraser instas to see how it’s done. You adjust the weight that you’re lifting to be safe until you’ve mastered the movement.

Some more traditional weightlifting movements can also benefit from explosive motions to get more benefit. I like to slow down the eccentric (think that’s the right term) part of a bench press and then explode back into the starting position to mix things up.

by Anonymousreply 50October 2, 2019 3:42 AM

We would like top start but there is no crossfit near our home.

Very strange since we live in a very 'trendy' neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 51October 2, 2019 7:58 AM

I'm not really interested in CrossFit although one of the biggest champions in CrossFit is Mat Fraser and I absolutely love his body

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 2, 2019 8:38 AM

OMG, that Prancersize. vid at r41 is a must watch!

by Anonymousreply 53October 2, 2019 12:29 PM

This whole thing seems like a scam. Come to think of it, my stupid neighbor is basically doing a solo version CrossFit at home. And he keeps getting more fat.

Exercise science was pretty much hashed out in the 50s/60s and much of what has come after is unhealthy scams.

by Anonymousreply 54October 2, 2019 12:54 PM

sexy times in the city redux

by Anonymousreply 55October 2, 2019 12:57 PM

This industry is filled to the brim with pseudo-science and a not rooted in evidence.

Its not a real brainy set. They do whatever some stranger tells them or what they heard from other idiots and YouTube videos.

GNC, gyms, shady online retailers and these type of scams like CrossFit make a FORTUNE off of fools.

The supplements alone are a joke.

And steroids are also a scam. They last for such a short period of time but the side effects last forever. You’re body and mind will never be the same.

Snake oil is the name of the game in this industry. And wives tales.

If you really want a health body just go back to what you learned in gym class. Safety first, take it slow and use tried and true, evidence based techniques.

by Anonymousreply 56October 2, 2019 1:05 PM

Slap faces, work out later

by Anonymousreply 57October 2, 2019 1:29 PM

Gays Love CrossFit?

by Anonymousreply 58October 2, 2019 1:48 PM

[R56] Most people who do CrossFit aren’t content with just a healthy body, they want to be in peak condition. I’m sure gym class was super helpful for you. CrossFit isn’t pretending to be a magical solution, it’s just a lot of hard work that demands dedication. Have you tried it? Or, are you relying on what DL says about it?

p.s. the owners of my CrossFit establishment have Ivy League educations (DL just got excited!) and most people who go there are well educated professionals.

by Anonymousreply 59October 2, 2019 1:53 PM

🙄^

by Anonymousreply 60October 2, 2019 1:55 PM

I think Bernie Madoff made clear that well educated professionals can be taken in by a scam just as easily as anyone else. My trainer despises CrossFit. He thinks it's a weird, shitty cult that leads to tons of injuries. And he's right.

by Anonymousreply 61October 2, 2019 1:55 PM

[R61] well, if you’re trainer says it’s true, it must be! Your trainer is probably worried about people leaving him/her/them and getting great results elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 62October 2, 2019 2:00 PM

OP you are starting to sound like one of those cult members who cherry pick evidence to reach their already predetermined conclusion.

by Anonymousreply 63October 2, 2019 2:07 PM

[R63] honestly, just think it’s really interesting how most on DL, and a lot of gays, seem to hate CrossFit.

If you could start a thread combining a discussion on WASPs, CrossFit, nutrition, NY vs LA, Instagram whores and something “tasteful friends” related, it would be the DL perfect storm.

by Anonymousreply 64October 2, 2019 2:13 PM

R64 oh please. You're the shilliest shill who ever shilled.

by Anonymousreply 65October 2, 2019 2:15 PM

That's very very very true R64 (OP)

But if you've spent time on DL you will know that there will be a certain DLers who base their opinion on "my neighbor's sister's cousin said that..." type evidence, and that an exercise routine that actually requires them to you know, exercise rather than check out naked guys in the locker room is not going to be appealing.

What's fascinating to me (on this and other threads) is how invested the haters are.

It would be one thing if they'd had a negative personal experience with the things they are posting about. That applies to everything from CrossFit to a multitude of vacation destinations (Italy is full of pickpockets and criminals!! In San Francisco homeless people defecate in the halls of your five star hotel!!!)

I've always wondered what the backstories are--why they are so down on San Francisco even though the last time they were there was 1984.

by Anonymousreply 66October 2, 2019 2:23 PM

[R66] /YMF, so true and LOL. There’s a whole world out there, waiting for them to REdiscover. As someone wise once said, “Get back into life (with Depends)!”

by Anonymousreply 67October 2, 2019 2:28 PM

It's rich that you are calling us "invested haters" when you have also blanketed this and every CrossFit thread with propaganda.

I'm starting to think OP and YourMillennialFriend are the same poster.

by Anonymousreply 68October 2, 2019 2:30 PM

Seems kind of appropriate that YMF loves CrossFit. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 69October 2, 2019 2:32 PM

[R68] different people, I’m Gen X.

by Anonymousreply 70October 2, 2019 2:35 PM

OP, r61 owned you!

by Anonymousreply 71October 2, 2019 2:36 PM

Not really R71

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 2, 2019 2:39 PM

[quote] One thing for DLers to be aware of is that CrossFits are NOT franchises--they are individually owned and the owners just pay an affiliate fee to the main organization.

This is literally the definition of a franchise.

by Anonymousreply 73October 2, 2019 2:48 PM

Am I the only one that can't read the story linked in OP? Just takes me to a blank YouTube page

by Anonymousreply 74October 2, 2019 2:50 PM

No one ever said CrossFitters were smart, r73.

by Anonymousreply 75October 2, 2019 2:51 PM

r31- My physical therapist friend echoed the same sentiment, "I LOVE Crossfit! It gives me so many clients".

by Anonymousreply 76October 2, 2019 2:56 PM

How many sock puppets does YMF have on this site ? It’s at least 3.

Go back and look at all of YMF’s posts. They always have a choir that happens to be online at all times when YMF is. What a huge coincidence.

Most xrossfitters are pathetic and desperate to be accepted. It’s just another scam that preys on the weak.

by Anonymousreply 77October 2, 2019 3:04 PM

r72, see r73.

by Anonymousreply 78October 2, 2019 3:08 PM

Sounds exactly like a franchise to me.

by Anonymousreply 79October 2, 2019 3:18 PM

From the website of the International Franchise Association, on a page called "What Is A Franchise?" (for R73 et al)

[quote] the franchisor provides to the franchisee not just its trade name, products and services, but an entire system for operating the business. The franchisee generally receives site selection and development support, operating manuals, training, brand standards, quality control, a marketing strategy and business advisory support from the franchisor.

CrossFit Inc provides none of this.

The affiliates pay for the right to call themselves an "official CrossFit affiliate" and to be included in the list of Official CrossFit affiliates associated with the CrossFit Games.

Hence the wide range of quality and standards from gym to gym.

by Anonymousreply 80October 2, 2019 6:34 PM

R67 -- I don't think it's an age thing as much as a mindset. There is a subset of DLers who seem to thrive on "proving" that things they know little about or have never personally experienced--from travel destinations to brands of automobiles to types of food to exercise techniques are evil and wrong and bad and The Worst Thing Ever. #HatersGonnaHate and that seems to keep them busy.

It's not like they're going to read a post on DL and think "Dear Lord! I've been living my life all wrong! There is nothing to fear about traveling to San Francisco! In fact, I'm going to go on that Expedia thing and book a trip right now!"

On this thread, it's unfortunate in that many DLEGs could benefit from CF, which is very senior-friendly.

But I think most DLers are smart enough to see beyond the haters.

by Anonymousreply 81October 2, 2019 6:40 PM

Go fuck yourself, pretentious trash.

by Anonymousreply 82October 2, 2019 6:44 PM

It attracts weirdos and gives them weird bodies. The women all end up looking like potato farmers and it's hell on their faces. Most are of them are religious and weirdly libertarian with a smattering of incels. A friend from high school was super into it and went on vacation with another friend of ours and spent the whole time looking for "boxes" and working out. He'd post all of these work out videos which I assumed were of him and when I looked at one finally it was just random crossfitters spazzing out around the world. He fucked up his arms and shoulder, the first surgery didn't work, the second one did better, but now he wants another surgery and I think he's getting addicted to pain pills. He also gained a lot of fat, but even at his peak fitness his body looked odd, not good. Oh and and he turned into a douchey libertarian who sometimes defends Donald Trump, even tho he was abandoned by his crossfit buddies whose personalities he sucked. Thanks Crossfit!

by Anonymousreply 83October 2, 2019 6:59 PM

The relentlessness of CrossFit's defenders on this thread is kind of a tell.

by Anonymousreply 84October 2, 2019 7:08 PM

Prowrestler Seth Rollins aka Colby Lopez is a proponent. He used to do homoerotic gay-interest tapes for the company CYBERFIGHTS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 2, 2019 7:11 PM

looking at his picture, he's too ugly to hang with the Gods he's whining about, no matter how much cross fit he did

by Anonymousreply 86October 2, 2019 7:28 PM

Being fit is 90% the foods you eat, no matter how much cross fit you do. Gyms are selling us all the lie that we need hours and hours in the gym to look amazing.

Even world class athletes cant lose weight and look cut without large changes to their diets.

by Anonymousreply 87October 2, 2019 7:52 PM

That is all true R87

But CrossFit is about something called "functional fitness" not about losing weight and makes no promises about weight loss.

Some gyms promote the paleo diet, some even have a nutritionist they work with, but that varies widely from gym to gym as they are all individually run.

But the main intent is for people to become more fit than they were when they started--stronger and with increased mobility, which will lead to a decrease in injuries and overall improved health, especially as people age.

by Anonymousreply 88October 2, 2019 8:27 PM

I love CrossFit. After lifting weights for years I needed to mix up workouts and my core strength has never been better.

To me the benefits far outweigh the negatives; the above posters are exactly right about dialing everything in to your own level of fitness. This is where an excellent coach makes all the difference. A good one will not allow athletes to push themselves dangerously, is in tune with your progress/abilities and stresses recovery. One Sunday (coach’s choice) we did nothing but stretches, yoga and rollouts just to aid recovery.

My coach pushes good nutrition not supplements.

I also understand the criticism about cult-like behavior. I love my fellow fitters and look forward to most workouts. It is a hard, fast, focused and productive workout.

I now have the size, strength and dexterity that I spent years trying to build. With CF it just happens because you use every single damn muscle.

by Anonymousreply 89October 2, 2019 9:07 PM

How much are you getting paid, YourMillennialFriend? You clearly have an inve$ted intere$t in this. Or, it's that cult mentality peeking through.

by Anonymousreply 90October 2, 2019 9:12 PM

Enjoy this article about CrossFit from a physical therapist’s perspective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91October 2, 2019 9:24 PM

[R83] Hate to break it to you, but anyone on DL is automatically a weirdo. Embrace it.

It sounds like the cause of your friend’s issues isn’t CrossFit, it’s mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 92October 2, 2019 9:37 PM

R91 she is basically saying "it's a sport" and she decided not to be judgmental about it and treat it like that, INSTEAD of as an exercise regime, as has been promoted repeatedly in this thread ("even better than a personal trainer!") mostly by you "and" YourMillennialFriend. Sure you will have injuries playing any SPORT. You shouldn't have them while exercising.

Did you read the article? Or did it just come up in a Google search when you were desperately trying to find something to support your claims that CrossFit isn't a cult, you skimmed it and decided to post it based on that?

by Anonymousreply 93October 2, 2019 9:42 PM

R91 she is basically saying "it's a sport" and she decided not to be judgmental about it and treat it like that, INSTEAD of as an exercise regime, as has been promoted repeatedly in this thread ("even better than a personal trainer!") mostly by you "and" YourMillennialFriend. Sure you will have injuries playing any SPORT. You shouldn't have them while exercising.

Did you read the article? Or did it just come up in a Google search when you were desperately trying to find something to support your claims that CrossFit isn't a cult, you skimmed it and decided to post it based on that?

by Anonymousreply 94October 2, 2019 9:42 PM

Not to be all all stalkery R93, but you seem to have an incredibly vested interest in this thread, contributing 20 of 93 posts, or over one-fifth of all posts in this thread. Can you explain your motivation?

POST 1:

POST 2:

POST 3:

CrossFit is life-changing, gay friendly, and transcendent! This person was obviously just in the wrong mindset! It's a fantastic, non-cultish organization! Let us all chant!

POST 4:

I love how Logo's Twitter queen can't spell check his tweets. A quality organization!

POST 5:

R13 he's Jewish and self-deprecating. Somehow I doubt very much he was quite as high or drunk as he claims in his essay. It's funnier.

POST 6:

You can also tell in the responses to that Twitter post who the grumpy CrossFit cultists are. They hate anyone insulting them.

POST 7:

R20 I think you mean please try header.

POST 8:

R23 it turns you into a GOD, until your body breaks down! The peasants of flyover country could never understand! #yanggang #uws4lyfe #trustfund

POST 9:

I actually don't believe the swastika part. Who can even draw one of those? They're confusing.

POST 10:

They do the movements too quickly to ensure the form is correct. You're rushing from exercise to exercise as fast as possible. The Millennials who love this will find out the hard way as their joints wear down faster than people who don't abuse them.

POST 11:

R34 that's what personal trainers are for.

POST 12:

Group exercise doesn't have to be cultish and pushed as fast as possible, r37, which leads to injuries and death. Remember that Maryland guy who was partially decapitated during a "Cindy" done wrong??

POST 13:

R39 some of the classes are, it depends on where you go. Churches are actually copying some of their methods to create their own Crossfit-style "Excercisin for Jesus" classes and sermons.

POST 14:

R44 the issue becomes when you are trying to get a set of exercises done as FAST as possible. Good form is the first thing to go. That's part of the reason CrossFit (or CF, for you, acronym-loving YourMillennialFriend) is blamed for a lot of joint injuries.

POST 15:

OP you are starting to sound like one of those cult members who cherry pick evidence to reach their already predetermined conclusion.

POST 16:

R64 oh please. You're the shilliest shill who ever shilled.

POST 17:

It's rich that you are calling us "invested haters" when you have also blanketed this and every CrossFit thread with propaganda.

I'm starting to think OP and YourMillennialFriend are the same poster.

POST 18:

No one ever said CrossFitters were smart, r73.

POST 19:

How much are you getting paid, YourMillennialFriend? You clearly have an inve$ted intere$t in this. Or, it's that cult mentality peeking through.

POST 20:

by Anonymousreply 95October 2, 2019 9:54 PM

I live in a smalltown. For 3 years I participated in Crossfit and exceeded my fitness goals. However, this gym had a big name owner who was high ranking in the Crossfit games. Also, EVERYONE there was extremely religious...which l was left to my own. I was never invited to any outings outside the gym despite being humbly handsome and extremely nice to everyone. So I slept with the HOT married straight Crossfit instructor and never went back. True story. FYI...all Crossfit gyms smell bad.

by Anonymousreply 96October 2, 2019 9:59 PM

Nice try, YourMillennialFriend, but using trolldar on me isn't going to shame me into posting my thoughts about the bullshit you're spouting. Half of your posts have been you agreeing with your counterpart (or yourself), and brushing off anyone else's legitimate concerns as bullshit or classism. And when you can't refute a point, you go for an ad hominem attack.

Sounds like a cultist to me. And a Libertarian... Which explains your affinity for #yanggang.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97October 2, 2019 10:28 PM

I work out regularly, and have maintained regularly working out three to four times a week for about 25 years or so. I also had an opportunity to take a certification preparation test for certification as a personal trainer by a large internationally recognized society, and did keep the certification for many years. As I've gotten older, I've had to change my workout routine due to aging, various accidents and surgeries, etc. A friend mentioned that a Cross Fit had opened up in the area, and after calling them, I stopped by for an introductory lesson. I think, because of my age, I was part of a group of people who did little or no exercise in the past. I really thought it wasn't much of a workout. What I kind of found disturbing is the "team" spirit of the routine, where each member tried to get the other to perform to their maximum in whatever exercise they are performing. I've learned to work around my injuries. I avoid any ballistic movements, and due to back surgery, never perform any exercise involving my lower back, without my lower back being supported. I really felt that I didn't fit in with this type of team or group exercise, and thanked the instructor nicely, and just mentioned I didn't feel it was right for me. I think this type of exercise can be great for people that are motivated by group activities, but I have to confess that I've always been pretty much of a loner in the gym, keeping pretty much to myself and concentrating on my workout. I would suggest that anyone interested in this type of exercise be sure to go through a physical evaluation before embarking on the program, and be sure to limit your participation in anything that might cause injury. I think it's interesting that former porn star Rocco Reed is supposed to be a Cross Fit instructor. I always found him to be pretty attractive, and interesting in the fact that while he claimed to be straight, he was fucked by just about every huge dick in the industry. I believe in his last video, he was gangbanged by five guys, including the hugely hung Castro. I think that kind of reflects some of the philosophy of some of the Cross Fit people, that they see "how much they can take," almost like young military kids. They challenge themselves to see how much pain they can take. While I have done that myself in the past, in for example, training for and running marathons, I don't think that's a good approach to take for a long term training program.

by Anonymousreply 98October 2, 2019 11:14 PM

This thread is getting me excited for CrossFit tonight.

by Anonymousreply 99October 2, 2019 11:17 PM

See. This is DL now days. Been that way for a while. Only a handful of people posting and playing forum games.

Back in the good old days of the internet I participated in some forums on a gay cruising site. there was a poster there who was like a T1 version of YMF. I played those silly games that you guys do on here One day they were looking for moderators, I volunteered and got access to all the poster’s ips. Once my handle went out as moderator this guy started deleting posts. Must have taken forever and it was too late anyway.

So I was right. He was full of shit. Big Fucking Deal. In the end, I was embarrassed by the effort that I put into the whole mess. I have noticed him on this board over the years and wouldn’t be surprised at all if he is now YMF. So what? If that is what gets you through, more power to you. I prefer real life connections. That’s the part of AA that works when it does work. Eliminating the isolation and looking for people to form relationships.

To each his own.

by Anonymousreply 100October 2, 2019 11:25 PM

My joints!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101October 3, 2019 2:03 AM

[R101] thanks for that.

by Anonymousreply 102October 3, 2019 3:11 AM

Are you doing the Open OP?

by Anonymousreply 103October 17, 2019 12:26 AM

Is there a similar article about the lives of glory hole trolls?

by Anonymousreply 104October 17, 2019 12:57 AM

The article was funny and well written.

CrossFit is a stupid cult. Their philosophies and exercises are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 105October 17, 2019 1:08 AM

[R103] Unregistered, training for a Spartan, so focused on that.

by Anonymousreply 106October 17, 2019 12:46 PM

CrossFit is so 2012.

by Anonymousreply 107October 17, 2019 12:57 PM

All the women at CrossFit end up looking like Russian washing machines.

by Anonymousreply 108October 17, 2019 1:00 PM

Peak condition? I lived in 3 centuries.

by Anonymousreply 109October 19, 2019 10:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!