Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kanye West hijacks the church with new gospel album, "Jesus Is King"

Kanye West may have come to Jesus — but some Christians aren’t buying the born-again “Yeezus.”

On the eve of West’s new gospel album “Jesus Is King,” which is expected to drop in one form or another this weekend following his latest “Sunday Service” performance, the online Christian community has revived its sermon against the 42-year-old rapper’s co-opting of their culture.

Hundreds of hellfire-haters are firing up the Twitterverse — but the controversy about West’s invocation of religious imagery in his work has been around since the early 2000s, critic and self-proclaimed Christian Charlene Kaleina, of Connecticut, tells The Post.

Kaleina, 68, says her faith is constantly mocked “because of the strange and weird behavior of people like this man.”

“He may be trying to understand Jesus in his own limited way and we cannot judge another’s soul,” the commercial real estate professional tells The Post. “People who follow Christ sense something is not right with this scene.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 16, 2019 5:44 PM

It's not nice to call the behavior of the mentally ill as "strange and weird."

by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2019 4:14 PM

When Kanye West hosts an event, the pure unpredictability and uniqueness of it will bring out the masses for a truly one-of-a-kind experience. Following Sunday Service at The Greater Allen Cathedral in Queens, West and company headed to Washington Heights on Sunday night (Sept. 29) to host the final listening of his Jesus Is King: A Kanye West Experience mini-tour at the archaic United Palace Theatre.

Unfortunately, as Kim Kardashian promised, Sunday came and went without the release of Jesus Is King, which has West's fans in a state of panic. Kanye also didn't provide any insight to a possible release date during the Experience, but did run through the brisk 10-track less than half-hour project for the 1,000 some odd fans packed under the Palace's golden ceilings and sacred watchful eye.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2019 4:21 PM

He belongs in a lockdown psych ward.

by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2019 4:25 PM

He's stealing Hillsong's act. They'll not be happy about it.

by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2019 4:35 PM

Kids and hipsters care about Post Malone and Billie Eilish. No one cares about this ill, 40-something father of three.

by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2019 8:26 PM

Unhappy that he is pulling his wife away from a true church, the Armenian Orthodox.

by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2019 8:41 PM

Don't underestimate much nauseating idiocy, girl; get esoteric, really?

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2019 9:11 PM

In the Kardashian layer

despite Kanye being crazy as fuck, he has a nice smile

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2019 9:12 PM

Religion is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2019 9:19 PM

Batshit insane:

Rap legend Kanye West said he will only make gospel music going forward — no more secular music, according to a Chicago music promoter who was in the room. West reportedly made the comment Saturday at a listening party in Chicago for his new album “Jesus is King: A Kanye West Experience.”

“Kanye also announced that he is no longer making secular music,” said Andrew Barber, owner of music media company Fake Shore Drive. “Only Gospel from here on out.” West said he is “done being an entertainer,” Barber told FOX Business.

West has been delaying the much-anticipated album, and his wife Kim Kardashian West teased the track list Friday. Anyone attending the Chicago listening party was required to leave their cell phones in locked pouches, so no video has yet surfaced of West’s remarks.

Billboard Magazine reports:

The album is a decidedly hip-hop exposition, using mostly spare keyboard and percussion arrangements with plenty of space for West’s vocals.

The easy first-listen favorite was the throbbing “Closed on Sunday,” whose refrain of “just like Chick-Fil-A” was picked up so quickly that West began pulling the sound down briefly to let the crowd carry the lyric during the choruses.

IMAX was also on hand to film Friday’s event, while some of West’s staff excited the crowd before it started by handing out Jesus Is King T-shirts and sweatshirts.

Does this mean no more songs about “bitches and hoes suckin’ my dick and fuckin’ my whole clique”?

The clip below is a bootleg recording from Saturday’s event and you can hear the Chick-Fil-A song at the 12:00 mark. Pretty sure he says something about his “fuckin’ load.” That comes after an exhortation to “follow Jesus.”:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2019 11:19 PM

I dont know how the church would feel about him doing Olivier Rousteing up the ass

by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2019 12:09 AM

R4 BINGO. He's been very close to quite a few of these younger pastors in the big-money, mega-chuch Evangelical sphere...particularly the youth-oriented pastors associated with churches like Hillsong that love to cozy up and cater to the Hollywood set.

I think he sees the big money in it...not to mention the celebrity cult status these pastors have. For a mentally ill, ego-maniac like Kanye, it clearly has its attractions...

by Anonymousreply 12October 1, 2019 12:14 AM

He’s not “hot” enough to start any money-making trends. Maybe he was 10 or 15 years ago. But not now.

by Anonymousreply 13October 1, 2019 12:18 AM

"Kaleina, 68, says her faith is constantly mocked “because of the strange and weird behavior of people like this man.” "

Oh honey, that's not why you're mocked.

by Anonymousreply 14October 1, 2019 4:57 AM

A general question:

Would he be more batshit if he hadn't hooked up with the Kardashians, or less?

by Anonymousreply 15October 1, 2019 4:58 AM

Damn ugly mess bitch.

Nobody is gonna go entertain retards.

by Anonymousreply 16October 2, 2019 10:37 PM

Apparently, he spun out of control after his mom died. That happened before he hooked up with Kim. So yes, he’d be crazy regardless of his current marriage.

by Anonymousreply 17October 3, 2019 12:16 AM

Kanye has been tipping the crazy meter since Hurricane Katrina, and that was even before his mom died in those unfortunate circumstances.

I think Kanye's near fatal car accident in 2002 had a profound effect on his mental stability.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 3, 2019 1:23 AM

Dumb Ugly Man Boy. Conceited Obviously Outre Nut.

by Anonymousreply 19October 10, 2019 8:00 PM

What a douche. He’ll latch on to anybody to try and make money.

by Anonymousreply 20October 10, 2019 8:34 PM

"I think Kanye's near fatal car accident in 2002 had a profound effect on his mental stability. "

I honestly wonder if he suffered damage to the frontal lobe of the brain, which can have the effect of removing filters and impulse control. That on top of narcissistic personality disorder.

by Anonymousreply 21October 10, 2019 9:49 PM

He'll do anything for another 15 minutes. Apparently he needs to up his meds.

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2019 6:07 PM

I like his music.

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2019 6:13 PM

So is he a christianist now? Because just 11 or so months ago he was singing (if what he does can be called singing) that he was a "sick fuck" that likes a "quick fuck".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2019 6:14 PM

Can anybody else say Bob Dylan 1978?

by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2019 6:17 PM

Kanye sounds surprisingly cogent in that interview with Letterman in R8's video. Usually when I hear him it's like the sentence to nowhere. They must have upped his meds for that one.

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2019 6:30 PM

His artistry is solid. Better than Taylor Swift

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2019 7:35 PM

R27, you're a dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2019 7:36 PM

Michael Eric Dyson called the President Donald Trump-Kanye West meeting an example of mass ignorance in the face of the downfall of democracy. Dyson also shook his head at the notion that Kanye could have brought Trump and Colin Kaepernick together. He went as far to say that African-Americans can not stand by his comments and that they must intervene on his behalf.

WHITE SUPREMACY BY VENTRILOQUISM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 15, 2019 7:37 PM

R28 I would have to agree with your analysis.

by Anonymousreply 30October 15, 2019 7:37 PM

As if his "Sunday Service" sweats weren't bad enough. Faux-Christian huckster. These people will never have enough money.

by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2019 8:21 PM

Religion is the last refuge of scoundrels.

And tax evaders.

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2019 2:04 AM

Jackass.

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2019 2:20 AM

You mean Kanye "I sold my soul to the devil...it was a really deal...but at least it came with a few toys like a happy meal" West?

The same Kanye West who pointed to his fame and wealth and then stated "My mother had to die for all this shit! THAT Kanye West???

" When people tell you who they are, believe them! "

by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2019 2:26 AM

Someone's off his medication

by Anonymousreply 35October 25, 2019 10:23 PM

Kanye has admitted to being diagnosed as mentally ill and he has admitted to self-medicating.

Which is why I am totally not surprised that he is an Evangelical Christian who loves Trump and the Kardashians.

by Anonymousreply 36October 25, 2019 10:27 PM

He and his bots are making himself trend all over on Twitter. He wants to be the only subject trending. Yeezus, Kanye, JesusIsLord, JesusIsKing.

He has a lot of conflicted Muslim fans right now. Young Muslim men love hip hop and love Kanye.

by Anonymousreply 37October 25, 2019 10:32 PM

Kenny G is on album

by Anonymousreply 38October 25, 2019 10:35 PM

Kim's gonna divorce him soon.

by Anonymousreply 39October 25, 2019 10:47 PM

God, he's ugly and painful to hear on all levels.

by Anonymousreply 40October 25, 2019 11:58 PM

Dis is what hoppin when you dones eats the leads paints.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 26, 2019 4:38 AM

Wasn't he singing that he was a sick fuck that likes a quick fuck just last year?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 26, 2019 8:27 AM

Selling overpriced shirts sweaters and sock like Jesus would.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 26, 2019 8:50 AM

R42, it’s called conversion, an experience thAt many hundreds of millions to billions can relate to.

by Anonymousreply 44October 26, 2019 11:46 AM

Who is he making music for? Black people don’t like him, white people don’t like him, adults don’t like him, teens don’t like him, men don’t like him, women don’t like him, gays don’t like him, straights don’t like him, religious people don’t like him, atheists don’t like him. Nobody likes him. That’s without mentioning that it’s a sin to use titles like that because you’re stealing glory from God. So even the holy fucking father doesn’t like him. Who is this for?

by Anonymousreply 45October 26, 2019 12:34 PM

number 1 on iTunes

by Anonymousreply 46October 26, 2019 1:54 PM

I don’t know, but almost all the top trending topics now are about Kanye and this album. It is the top album on the digital charts already. Almost all my friends have bought the album already and are talking about it. It’s a huge hit

by Anonymousreply 47October 26, 2019 2:40 PM

I am seeing Gen Zers and Millennials talk a lot Jesus and the Bible seriously in a way I’ve never seen all over social media, celebrities and non-celebrities alike. Just perhaps it’s spurring a revival

by Anonymousreply 48October 26, 2019 2:43 PM

This album is instantly being played on urban radio with heavy rotation.

by Anonymousreply 49October 26, 2019 2:46 PM

[quote]her faith is constantly mocked “because of the strange and weird behavior of people like this man.”

Kanye fits right in, then?

by Anonymousreply 50October 26, 2019 2:51 PM

This man really believes he is Jesus. This will end in delusions of grandeur. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 51October 26, 2019 7:02 PM

He knows how to create hype around his releases, he delays it multiple times and gets publicity with some stunt he pulls and if you notice he only does those Trump adoration things right before an album drops to create controversy. He’s the emperor who has no clothes and his fans can’t stop praising those clothes he isn’t wearing.

by Anonymousreply 52October 26, 2019 8:43 PM

" Almost all my friends have bought the album already and are talking about it. It’s a huge hit "

By any chance are your friends white people who are trying to prove they're cool and/or woke?

by Anonymousreply 53October 26, 2019 9:13 PM

R53 Most of the people I know both family and friends that love him and find him profound are airheads.

by Anonymousreply 54October 26, 2019 11:02 PM

They don’t know much about culture, music, history or politics.

by Anonymousreply 55October 26, 2019 11:04 PM

Christianity, like all religions, is fucking crazy. It entails worshipping a zombie and believing that the story of Noah's Ark actually happened. Kanye is not making it look any weirder than it already is.

by Anonymousreply 56October 26, 2019 11:12 PM

Just here for his inevitable suicide

by Anonymousreply 57October 26, 2019 11:16 PM

"Unhappy that he is pulling his wife away from a true church, the Armenian Orthodox."

Yes, how will the Armenian Orthodox church survive without Kim Kardashian's contributions?

by Anonymousreply 58October 27, 2019 1:30 AM

You know those Kardashian sisters are looking at him like “What....the fucking.....fuck.....has Kim gotten herself mixed up in???”

by Anonymousreply 59October 27, 2019 1:54 AM

Why has Kim stayed with him? What are we missing?

by Anonymousreply 60October 27, 2019 2:04 AM

R60 I hear they do not live together. I think she is done with him, literally.

by Anonymousreply 61October 27, 2019 2:33 AM

R61 Yeah, but she is stuck with the mental sook now, cause if she runs, he will really show his true mental colors

by Anonymousreply 62October 27, 2019 2:34 AM

I assume, R60, that the Kardashians think that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

by Anonymousreply 63October 27, 2019 2:34 AM

“For the first time in his career, Kanye has released something entirely boring and forgettable”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 28, 2019 5:52 PM

he has chosen a theologically rigorous Calvinist pastor as his latest spiritual mentor. The Rev. Adam Tyson is pastor of a small church outside Los Angeles and has close ties to the Master’s Seminary, known for its conservative theology. (Its students and teaching faculty are all male; one of the Duggar sisters’ husbands is a current student.) Over the last several months, Tyson has been on the road with West and has conducted Bible studies with West and his team in Wyoming. He told Christianity Today earlier this month that West is “a new brother in the faith.” Church Clarity, a crowdsourced database of churches’ positions on gender and sexuality issues, reports that Tyson’s church is “non-affirming” on LGBTQ issues and non-egalitarian on the question of women’s leadership.

by Anonymousreply 65October 28, 2019 11:05 PM

According to TMZ, Kanye West has agreed to take the stage for Joel Osteen’s popular service this Sunday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 12, 2019 5:49 PM

I HATE this guy.

by Anonymousreply 67November 12, 2019 6:22 PM

This is going to be a long hard road for Kim. She will be stuck in custody fights and he will be trying to raise the kids in some cult and she will be fighting with this creep for the next 20 years.

He’s never going to take meds or seek treatment. Who’s going to make him? She will be dealing with a nutcase subject to delusions and mania.

by Anonymousreply 68November 12, 2019 6:25 PM

And now the music comes out and it’s complete garbage. What a shock.

Anybody who is buying this crap is enabling his mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 69November 12, 2019 6:28 PM

Disgusting charlatan.

by Anonymousreply 70November 12, 2019 6:32 PM

He claims he is “unquestionably, undoubtedly, the greatest human artist of all time.”

Psychotic much?

by Anonymousreply 71November 12, 2019 7:05 PM

Inmates

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 16, 2019 2:49 PM

Purple Rain, When Doves Cry, Kiss, etc.

And yet Con-yay thinks he's the greatest artist? Whatevs, sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 73November 16, 2019 2:53 PM

No wonder Trump and Kanye are fans of one another...they're both delusional fake Christians with God complexes...

by Anonymousreply 74November 16, 2019 4:20 PM

He has always been an asshole. His life is built around being a contrarian and doing the opposite of what people expect him to do.

He thinks it is some genius design for his life, but it really is just impulsive, reactive teen-like behavior.

There's no coherent thoughts or actions - which he believes makes him above everyone else and that no one can understand his genius abilities.

It's very true that he and Trump have a lot in common psychologically. At least Trump knows somewhat how to play a room.

by Anonymousreply 75November 16, 2019 4:53 PM

Does Trump even fake being a Christian? I think Kanye might be a true Christian, albeit a new one.

by Anonymousreply 76November 16, 2019 4:53 PM

[quote]Unhappy that he is pulling his wife away from a true church, the Armenian Orthodox.

Yes, that "true church" has been such an invaluable influence on Kim's lifestyle and choices.

by Anonymousreply 77November 16, 2019 5:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!