Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New Fall TV Season 2019: What Have You Been Watching?

Let's discuss it all: new shows, returning shows, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 1, 2019 12:02 PM

Do limited series count? Or are we just talking network teevee?

If network: nada.

If cable/streaming:

Unbelievable

Marianne

Undone

Preacher

Mindhunter

by Anonymousreply 1September 28, 2019 3:32 AM

Drag šŸ‘ Race šŸ‘ UK šŸ‘

I've been watching the second half of the first season of Disenchantment, which dropped on Netflix recently - charming as always! Excited about Watchmen on HBO and Modern Love on Amazon (Dev Patel and Andrew Scott!). Will also check out Castle Rock season 2, Mrs. Fletcher, Daybreak, Evil, and naturally Catherine the Great.

First major disappointments of the season: AHS 1984 and The Politician. šŸ˜’

by Anonymousreply 2September 28, 2019 3:38 AM

r1 Omg, Undone is amazing, yes! I created a thread about it awhile back, so hopefully it'll get some recognition soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 28, 2019 3:40 AM

Yes, everything counts, R1. Across the board.

by Anonymousreply 4September 28, 2019 5:10 PM

I'm glad "The Rookie" is coming back.

by Anonymousreply 5September 28, 2019 5:12 PM

I just watched Stumptown and I really enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 6September 28, 2019 5:20 PM

I watched ā€œThe Unicorn ā€œ on CBS earlier this week. Walter Goggins stars. Good cast, but not sure about its long term viability. The premise is about a widower who joins dating sites, and is irresistible to women because of his status of being in a twenty year relationship with 2 children, and his wife dying of cancer. Just donā€™t know how they could milk that episode after episode. Will he date someone new each week?

by Anonymousreply 7September 28, 2019 6:16 PM

Stumptown was really good.

I liked CBS' ALL RISE. A courtroom drama with the hot Wilson Bethel costarring.

Fox's PRODIGAL SON is a bit of a mess but there are parts I enjoyed. Stars Tom Payne from THE WALKING DEAD as a profiler whose father (Michael Sheen) is a serial killer.

by Anonymousreply 8September 28, 2019 6:19 PM

I liked [italic]Stumptown[/italic] and will definitely watch again.

I tried [italic]Evil[/italic] for Mike Colter; also, it's a Michelle and Robert King ([italic]the Good Wife[/italic]) show. Michael Emerson is playing a creepy guy again. I'll watch another episode before I decide.

And I'll give [italic]Emergence[/italic] another try before I decide. They seem to be going for a [italic]Lost[/italic]-type vibe, with regular people trying to figure out supernatural occurrences. It gets extra points for putting Clancy Brown in a supporting role, because he has that deep voice.

by Anonymousreply 9September 28, 2019 6:28 PM

I watched "Perfect Harmony" and "Sunnyside" on NBC on Thursday night. "Harmony" was pretty good, not great, though I might watch again just because I like Bradley Whitford. "Sunnyside" was also not great but actually much better than I thought it would be (given that I was expecting "What A Country! Part Deux") and Kal Penn makes for a very charming sitcom lead, so may watch it again also.

by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2019 1:23 AM

I still like [italic]Stumptown[/italic], but it loses points for casting Zosia Mamet in the second episode.

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2019 2:39 AM

And how did a felon get a license to operate a bar?

by Anonymousreply 12October 3, 2019 2:44 AM

I gave Bob Hearts Abishola two weeks because I like The Neighborhood. It is really bad and not funny at all. I do like All Rise, which comes on after, but it seems a lot like the courtroom show that was just cancelled (We the People?) which I also liked.

I've got the first two episodes of Prodigal Son on DVR but haven't watched yet.

Returning shows: I still like Magnum PI and Bull. I feel like I have to watch How To Get Away With Murder because it's the final season, even though it sucks.

As for cable, I'm looking forward to The Purge and Watchmen.

by Anonymousreply 13October 3, 2019 3:47 AM

Elizabeth Keen is just too fucking stupid to be an FBI agent. I keep watching [italic]the Blacklist[/italic] for James Spader and Harry Lennix, but I usually start shaking my head at how indiscreet and short-sighted Keen's character is.

by Anonymousreply 14October 5, 2019 1:30 AM

Lodge 49 (season 3 started a couple of months back)

Big Mouth (binging it now on Netflix... season 3, just as good as seasons 1 and 2)

The Dark Crystal (I'm about half way through)

Disenchanted (I binged that all on the day it was released a couple of weeks ago)

The Good Place (final season)

by Anonymousreply 15October 5, 2019 3:07 AM

R15, I watched season 3 of Big Mouth today and thought it wasnā€™t as good as the first two seasons.

by Anonymousreply 16October 5, 2019 3:09 AM

watching always sunny and succession right now

by Anonymousreply 17October 5, 2019 3:12 AM

"Sunnyside" canceled:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2019 2:10 AM

black guy in the middle is overexposed....go take a nap dude, tired of ur face.

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2019 3:31 AM

I'm watching AMERICAN HORROR STORY: 1984 for the mancandy and camp. It's amusing enough because they're stealing from templates that work and contriving ridiculous twists.

CREEPSHOW is also fun and genuinely creepy. Episode 1 is mediocre, but It Gets Better. There are a couple of chapters that are quite funny, too -- unlike the original movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2019 5:18 AM

That was fast, R18. Yeesh.

I binged "Big Mouth" on Netflix, I'm watching the final season of "The Good Place", and looking forward to "His Dark Materials" and "The Expanse" coming in November and December, respectively.

There's not a lot on any network TV that I really watch anymore.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2019 5:20 AM

PRODIGAL SON is also nice n' creepy.

The lead actor is hot and Michael Sheen is always a treat to watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2019 5:22 AM

I also enjoyed the series Netflix made out of DARK CRYSTAL.

It's visually brilliant. It's an all-star voice cast. But I suspect it will mean more to fans of the original 1982 film. Much of the new series seems derivative of LORD OF THE RINGS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2019 5:24 AM

A bunch of crap if you ask me.

There is not a single show that I want to watch so far. It all just seems so pointless. It seems like they are just trying fill up dead air these days. They donā€™t make stuff like the first few seasons of GoT, or like Boardwalk Empire or the Wire anymore. What happened to that?

Pose was the only show that worth watching recently. Pennyworth looked promising but it burns out after a few episodes.

The rest all a bunch of dreck.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2019 6:10 AM

Catherine the great could be an exception ^.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2019 6:11 AM

Unbelievable

Succession

Schitt's Creek

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2019 6:27 AM

I thought Catherine the Great was boring. But I only watched one episode.

I actually enjoyed Pennyworth. Mostly because I find Jack Bannon incredibly sexy and Paloma Faith is fucking awesome. Anybody who can upstage Polly Walker is worth watching. The scene where they take the queen hostage is hilarious.

I thought Dark Crystal was especially terrible but then I wasn't a fan of the original movie.

I'm watching the camptastic "Insatiable." The second season was just released last Friday. I never get tired of Christopher Gorham taking off his shirt. I don't mind his kissing scenes with Robert Dallas either.

Second season of Impulse is being released tomorrow and I'm looking forward to that.

I do really like All Rise, which kind of surprises me since it's a simple courtroom drama. Good actors.

I'm on the fence about Prodigal Son, Stumptown, Emergence and Evil. I'm still watching them though.

Enjoying the U.K. Drag Race. Ditto for Sanditon which I'm not sure has played in the U.S. yet. People are complaining about the ending because it's "not very Jane Austen." I liked it though.

And of course Bob's Burgers is a joy for me.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2019 7:21 AM

I honestly loved the Dark Crystal, and was never really a fan of the original movie. Now thinking about going back and re-watching it.

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2019 2:44 PM

Mr Robot is good so far, but the rest of the shows I've been watching are pretty lacking. Prodigal Son is trying to be like Hannibal, but it's getting repetitive with the mother, son, father drama. Emergence is too slow and the revelation about Piper fell flat, and I don't care about the family stuff. American Horror Story... I barely pay attention - I find this season silly and too dark (as in lighting) to figure out what's going on.

Supernatural's first episode of their last season was terrible, which depresses me as a fan from the start. Walking Dead (two episodes of new season) is too early to see if Angela Kang still has the magic.

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2019 2:54 PM

Just saw the first episode of BBC's The War of The Worlds and find it a bit tedious with its melodrama (lead is a social outcast, because he dared to leave his wife, who's also his cousin, to be with his girlfriend who is pregnant). It is hinted that Robert Carlyle's character is shunned because he's a confirmed bachelor (aka gay), but I don't know if he's in any of the other episodes since his character has disappeared since the first alien attack.

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2019 3:21 PM

I like the new season of Netflix's Insatiable so far, but then I am a sucker for campy, dark comedy. Love Vincent Rodriguez III (Crazy Ex Girlfriend) in the first episode. And Michael Provost looks like a hot, young Colton Haynes.

by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2019 3:27 PM

Big Mouth season three is amazing. It has a very special musical episode where the school makes a musical about the movie Disclosure (the movie where Demi Moore hits on Michael Douglas and then accuses him of sexual assault).

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2019 3:32 PM

I like CW's Batwoman so far. I like the pilot more than the first episode of Supergirl's season five. Batwoman's second episode is great, too.

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2019 3:37 PM

Not sure about Nancy Drew, but it has sexy Alex Saxon (Finding Carter, The Fosters, Ray Donovan).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2019 3:41 PM

USA's Treadstone (Jason Bourne spinoff) looks interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 16, 2019 4:42 PM

[quote] Ditto for Sanditon which I'm not sure has played in the U.S. yet. People are complaining about the ending because it's "not very Jane Austen." I liked it though.

The show is based on Jane Austen's unfinished novel. Of course the die-hard fans pull a "last season Game of Thrones" backlash.

[quote] Sanditon (1817) is an unfinished novel by the English writer Jane Austen. In January 1817, Austen began work on a new novel she called The Brothers, later titled Sanditon upon its first publication in 1825, and completed eleven chapters before stopping work in mid-March 1817, probably because her illness prevented her from continuing.[1]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2019 2:10 PM

Any new shows with gay characters?

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2019 2:25 PM

I hate comic book properties, but I'll be watching Watchmen for Don Johnson and Jeremy Irons.

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2019 2:28 PM

NBC pulls the plug on "Bluff City Law":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 19, 2019 1:45 AM

Evil on CBS.

by Anonymousreply 40October 19, 2019 1:55 AM

"Evil" renewed for season 2 plus four other CBS shows get full seasons:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 23, 2019 12:56 AM

horny men are waiting 4 u

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 23, 2019 7:56 AM

I watched the premier of Bluff City Law because I like Jimmy Smits.

It was mediocre. Characters didn't really engage me, although the court case they were dealing was somewhat intriguing. It barely made use of its Memphis setting. Not worth watching a second time, even for Jimmy Smits.

Not surprised it was canceled.

by Anonymousreply 43October 23, 2019 9:29 AM

Sunnyside Egg was not cancelled. NBC actually ordered more episodes but will only air them online. It more than doubled its viewers in delayed viewing online. Itā€™s like what they did with AP Bio, cancelled it on TV but renewed it online. Kal Penn also tweeted he is shopping the show around to other networks if it gets cancelled cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 44October 23, 2019 10:57 AM

r44 must be Kal Penn himself or one of the cast members. Sunnyside was cancelled, they ordered ONE singular additional episode which will serve as a wrap up for the series and provide closure, which is why it was done. Not at all what they did with AP Bio, which is actually an order for another (digital) season. The ratings for Sunnyside were so abysmal, the show was pulled effective immediately and replaced with the final season of Will and Grace with almost no notice or promotion (first ep of Will and grace airs tomorrow!). No way to even try and spin it otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 45October 23, 2019 11:30 AM

damn, bluff city law had a hot buff stud in it, deep voice and all.....

by Anonymousreply 46October 23, 2019 11:51 AM

Add me to the "I really liked Stumptown!" list.

Tried "The Unicorn" but was bored. And I thought "Nancy Drew" was awful.

In terms of returning series, I seem to be in the minority but I love "New Amsterdam"! Also watching HtGAwM, "The Good Place" (LOVE it) and "This is Us." Also eagerly awaiting the new season of "Top Chef."

by Anonymousreply 47October 23, 2019 12:04 PM

R43 Jimmy Smits is one of the very few actors I like less than Ben Affleck. I'm glad his show died. Now someone better can get a shot in that slot.

Given the language r46 uses to describe the actor he'll miss, I'll bet it's someone DL Hot.

by Anonymousreply 48October 23, 2019 12:13 PM

Watchmen's premier on HBO was pretty fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 49October 23, 2019 2:52 PM

"Batwoman" and "Nancy Drew" both get back nine orders:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 26, 2019 4:31 AM

Iā€™m glad Sunnyside failed. Kal Penn is the most unlikable and uncharismatic actor Iā€™ve ever had the displeasure of seeing trundle across my screen. He doesnā€™t even have looks to back up his lack of talent. Remind me again why he has an acting career?

by Anonymousreply 51October 26, 2019 4:43 AM

That's nice to know. I like both shows (Batwoman and Nancy Drew).

by Anonymousreply 52October 26, 2019 5:55 AM

HBO's Mrs. Fletcher seems interesting. There is a brief moment in the trailer where two guys kiss.

by Anonymousreply 53October 28, 2019 6:51 AM

Everything is boring . Among new shows only Carol 's Second Act is somewhat watchable

by Anonymousreply 54October 28, 2019 6:57 AM

I don't get how so many shows can claim in their ads to be "TV's #1 new show." Both All Rise and Prodigal Son have that in ads, and they are on at the same time on different networks. They can't both be #1.

by Anonymousreply 55October 28, 2019 2:56 PM

You have to look at the small print, R55. #1 in adults 18-34, #1 in total viewers, #1 in live+7 viewing ... networks slice 'n dice the data a million ways to Tuesday to get a promotional gimmick.

by Anonymousreply 56October 28, 2019 3:00 PM

"Carol's Second Act" is horrible.

by Anonymousreply 57October 28, 2019 3:14 PM

I really don't watch any basic network tv shows anymore-- I'm all about binging on Netflix, Amazon. Finally caught Fleabag, though was a bit late, and it totally lives up to the hype. Loved Season 2 of Mindhunter. Also really liked Living with Yourself. Now very into The Boys on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 58October 28, 2019 3:19 PM

Full seasons for "Stumptown" and "Mixed-ish":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 29, 2019 2:35 AM

So far, I'm watching Mr. Robot, and Watchmen.

I'll be adding His Dark Materials, the Mandelorian, and The Expanse in the next month or two.

by Anonymousreply 60October 30, 2019 2:28 PM

So disappointed by Catherine The Great

by Anonymousreply 61November 30, 2019 7:31 PM

I like Stumptown, but Michael Ealy and Cobie Smulders have horrible chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 62November 30, 2019 7:38 PM

Agreed, R62. They should have made Dex gay (not just "fluid") and paired her with a female love interest.

by Anonymousreply 63December 1, 2019 12:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!