Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Just saw "Judy"

The film isn't perfect, but Renee Zellweger is. That final scene, melted my cold, dark heart. I saw it in a theater full of gays, most of them elders. We may have been the youngest in the place and I'm 45. There was applause at the end.

by Anonymousreply 75August 31, 2020 11:13 PM

Currently tracking to make a dime.

by Anonymousreply 1September 28, 2019 3:45 AM

Does she shit on the toilet I’m the final scene? I’m serious.

by Anonymousreply 2September 28, 2019 3:47 AM

She truly deserves the Oscar....she's brilliant as Judy

by Anonymousreply 3September 28, 2019 3:50 AM

Another Oscar for yet another impersonation. She can join a long list of actors who have earned the statuette for mimicking a famous real life public figure. She’ll be in good company with the likes if Cate Blanchett, Meryl Streep, Dame Judy Dench, Reese Witherspoon, Helen Mirren, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Forest Whitaker, Jamie Foxconn, and Daniel Day Lewis, amongst many others.

by Anonymousreply 4September 28, 2019 4:21 AM

Foxx

by Anonymousreply 5September 28, 2019 4:22 AM

It doesn't go all the way to the end of her life

by Anonymousreply 6September 28, 2019 4:31 AM

The scene that made a tear go down my cheek is when a gay couple takes her home and makes her eggs, she says seeing them in the audience (her diehard gay fans) makes her feel she has allies out there.

by Anonymousreply 7September 28, 2019 6:31 AM

I just saw the movie and Renee Zellweger deserves the Oscar for her performance. She takes what would have been am ok movie and elevates the movie into a must see movie. The NYC audience applauded at the end for the movie and her performance something that really happens.

Here's a bit of trivia In January 2017 Liza Minelli had Judy Garland's remains moved from Ferncliff Mausoleum at Ferncliff Cemetery in Hartsdale, New York and re-interred at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery In Hollywood California. The reason for this is many of Judys admirers had bought most of the remaining plots near her grave. Liza and her siblings realized there would be no room near her mother when it was their time for burial.

by Anonymousreply 8September 28, 2019 11:26 PM

rarely happens^^

by Anonymousreply 9September 28, 2019 11:33 PM

[quote] Currently tracking to make a dime.

Actually the Friday numbers were fairly strong. Close to $1m on only 461 screens and on track to do $4m for the weekend.,

by Anonymousreply 10September 28, 2019 11:39 PM

i don't know but not having seen the movie and only the previews and clips from it, all i see is renee impersonating? i even HEAR renee's voice, not judy's...perhaps i'm asking too much of renee or ANY actress, to look, sound and sing EXACTLY like judy or any real life bigger then life person...

by Anonymousreply 11September 28, 2019 11:59 PM

R11 go see the movie. You'll be glad that you did.

by Anonymousreply 12September 29, 2019 12:01 AM

[quote]The reason for this is many of Judys admirers had bought most of the remaining plots near her grave. Liza and her siblings realized there would be no room near her mother when it was their time for burial.

Plus they got Judy's and their final spaces for FREE considering how much it costs to be buried near her.

by Anonymousreply 13September 29, 2019 12:06 AM

The movie and Miss Z are fantastic. I saw it at a packed matinee at a multiplex in Houston, and the appreciative audience sat transfixed throughout. I was surprised at the turnout, as I expected to have the theater to myself. The audience was made up of eldergays and older straight couples. I saw no one under 50, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 14September 29, 2019 12:09 AM

Finn Wittrock is a hunk (and straight at that!)

by Anonymousreply 15September 29, 2019 12:10 AM

Does her performance equal this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 29, 2019 12:10 AM

That is what surprised me. I've never been in a theater with so many Eldergays. I'm in my 40s and we were probably the youngest in the theater. All those queens clapped at the end and stayed for the credits. i think a lot of people wanted it to be a failure or some campy mess, but it wasn't. The older gay couple next to us, were crying at the end.

by Anonymousreply 17September 29, 2019 12:14 AM

A friend and I saw "Judy" on Friday and Rene captured the essence of Judy as well as her eccentricities and substance abuse - a bravo performance for which she should be nominated for an Oscar. At the end of the film everybody applauded - it had her performance had that effect on people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 29, 2019 12:54 AM

The very last line of the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 29, 2019 12:58 AM

R4 it is not just an impersonation, she becomes Judy, nothing will ever come close to this, she will win the Oscar as well. But a metal statue cannot even do justice to her performance, it takes you away and puts you back to that time.

by Anonymousreply 20September 29, 2019 1:04 AM

Don’t believe the hype. To me it was like Bridget Jones: The Judy Years.

Avoid.

by Anonymousreply 21September 29, 2019 1:06 AM

It's not an impersonation, it's an evocation, and it works beautifully

by Anonymousreply 22September 29, 2019 3:33 PM

R13 Those fans who probably paid a premium for the plots near Judy now have plots that are worth less and won't be buried near their idol.

by Anonymousreply 23September 29, 2019 3:40 PM

She sounded NOTHING like Judy. Nothing. Some of you must be getting paid.

by Anonymousreply 24September 29, 2019 4:41 PM

The movie takes place 6 months before Judy died, when she had lost her voice but was forced to continue performing to make a living. The fact that Zellweger does not sound like Judy at her height doesn't bother me. She sounds better than Judy did at that time in her life.

Otherwise, Zellweger's performance in flawless.

by Anonymousreply 25September 29, 2019 5:56 PM

I hope that Oscar is Renee's.

That said I haven't seen the film.

by Anonymousreply 26September 29, 2019 6:02 PM

Critics love Renee Z. Film is overall a bit more by the numbers, but her performance is FAB

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 29, 2019 11:58 PM

So the film settled at $2.9m for the weekend on 461 screens. Decent but unspectacular $6300 per screen. That being said, the real audience for this film is over 50 and they do not rush to the theater the first weekend to see a movie, so I suspect it will have somewhat strong legs.

by Anonymousreply 28September 30, 2019 5:59 PM

At this point in Garlands life she looked like death about to happen and was beyond even talking to for the most part so ravaged was she by drug and alcohol. For this reason I probably cannot see this film. She had by this time alienated virtually everyone she knew and only picked up new acolytes like Deans, who would have dropped her like everyone else as well, more or less to be able to live a reasonable life. This fact of end stage substance abuse sort of makes any channeling of her life at this point moot. Yes she was used- but so were almost all stars with her kind of talent and also those with less- not all became end stage addicts- Jackson yes, Presley yes, Joplin yes, Huston yes. To "blame" family and the business does not tell the story- it's much more complex. Streisand and Franklin are/were equally talented and neither succumbed to substance abuse, although Aretha did have some on and off problems with booze. I just have a problem with films that change history. When I look at his pic of Rene as Judy in the last months of her life- will- suggest you look at the actual pics of Judy at this times. She looks like someone with end stage cancer or in modern substance abuse parley- a meth head. Her eyes, her teeth, her collapsed butt, etc.

A woman mad with talent, wit and charisma, cut to the quick by substance abuse, in fact long before this last attempt at a club job.

by Anonymousreply 29September 30, 2019 6:18 PM

It looks interesting, but how does it compare to Judy Davis in Me and My Shadows? Streep called that one of the best pieces of acting ever done.

by Anonymousreply 30September 30, 2019 6:32 PM

It is so horrible that it is embarrassing to watch even the short clips. The fish is butt-ugly and if Judy had looked or sounded anything like that she never would have become a star.

by Anonymousreply 31September 30, 2019 7:11 PM

Don't watch the clips, dickbreath, watch the movie

by Anonymousreply 32September 30, 2019 7:32 PM

As a reminder, r30.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 30, 2019 7:36 PM

Isn't Zellweger too thin to play the dumpy, sometimes fat, Garland? She should have porked up to her Bridget Jones weight to portray Judy.

by Anonymousreply 34September 30, 2019 7:44 PM

Garland was as thin as a corpse in her final year.

by Anonymousreply 35September 30, 2019 7:47 PM

As a child we met her in 1965 and again in 1967, for only a couple of minutes each time.

We spoke to her and she replied, we shall treasure the memory forever.

by Anonymousreply 36September 30, 2019 7:49 PM

Oh, brother. "Finn Wittrock?" SERIOUSLY?! Is this movie called "Judy" or "The Flintstones?"

by Anonymousreply 37September 30, 2019 8:39 PM

I have known and love Renee and will be elated if she gets an Oscar, but the film is trash. So fucking bad, and I went in expecting to adore it.

The gay couple is fictional, btw, and I resent the pandering.

by Anonymousreply 38October 3, 2019 2:19 AM

I'll give it a B+ for Renee. If it had a better script and Renee's voice was closer to Judy's (and she sang live) I'd give it an A+.

Viewers long to hear Judy's voice, and Renee gets close sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 39October 3, 2019 3:56 AM

Judy is officially a flop. It opened wide this weekend on nearly 1500 screens and only managed a paltry $3K per screen. It currently sits at $8.9m. Unless they hold off on the ancillary release and put it back in theaters during the long awards parade, this thing will probably crawl to the low teens and then die.

by Anonymousreply 40October 7, 2019 5:29 PM

We are not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 41October 7, 2019 5:41 PM

Judy Davis will always be Judy G in my mind. Amazing performance.

by Anonymousreply 42October 7, 2019 5:49 PM

Tired tricks and fakery (Drag Fish?!?!?!) just don't sell.

by Anonymousreply 43October 7, 2019 6:15 PM

In my opinion, this film was neither needed nor wanted except by studio execs looking to make a buck.

by Anonymousreply 44October 7, 2019 6:27 PM

I just want to add that my family watched Judy on her TV show back in the sixties. To my ten year old ears, she sounded awful! That horrible vibrato. A fascinating performer for much of her life, especially in the early movies. But I remember seeing her picture in the papers throughout the sixties and thinking she looked so bad. And not knowing why, and wondering why people were paying money to hear her sing. People were always saying she had such a hard time. At least now it's clear that she was responsible for her actions.

by Anonymousreply 45October 7, 2019 9:50 PM

I watched it at a daytime bargain matinee and it was me plus about two dozen retirees (many of them couples). They were mesmerized, and I heard sniffles throughout.

I watched them slowly file out of the theater and thought, "These people watched many of her movies in their first release, and probably watched "The Judy Garland Show".

by Anonymousreply 46October 7, 2019 11:33 PM

Saw the film over the weekend. While it's better than the play upon which it's based, the film gives us a Garland who, despite alcohol and drugs, still looks healthier than the real Garland did if you've seen photos of her from that time.

At times, there would be a shot of RZ or she would have an inflection and you'd think for a second that it was Garland, but other times I felt I was watching Zellwegger. She does much better than I expected, but she's no Judy Davis. The latter's Garland was both pitiable and scary. RZ is mostly just pitiable. The best scenes IMO are those with Sid Luft (especially the one in the pub) and her last big fight with Mickey where you really get a sense of how it felt to be Judy at that point.

RZ should not have done her own singing - it's probably wise that she doesn't try to mimic Garland's singing too much, but Zellwegger doesn't have a great voice in the first place.

Finn Whitrock is good as Mickey Dean, but wasn't Dean gay or bi? I know Sid Luft stated that Dean used to go cruising in the L.A. parks at night leaving Garland alone, but I don't know that Luft is a reliable source.

The character of the hander/assistant (played by Jessie Buckley, who looks like a young Jane Asher) didn't seem to be doing her job at times. Given Garland's reputation, you'd think she'd be hovering over her a lot more.

RZ will likely get an Oscar nomination, but I doubt she'll get the award if there's another strong contender. I do expect she would get a GG if she's in the Musical/Comedy category.

by Anonymousreply 47October 7, 2019 11:57 PM

R47 = idiot

by Anonymousreply 48October 8, 2019 12:03 AM

I just realised that Jessie Buckley, the actress who plays Rosalyn, was the runner-up of I'd Do Anything back in 2008. By coincidence, she sang one of Judy's songs on that programme. (Samantha Barks, who played Eponine in the film adaptation of Les Miserables, started her career on the same programme.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 8, 2019 12:25 AM

r45, well how does she sound on he show now, to your 66 year old ears, in retrospect?

by Anonymousreply 50October 8, 2019 1:00 AM

Is this movie a flop? It came in at #7 at the box office the week it was released and has barely made $10 million.

by Anonymousreply 51October 8, 2019 3:10 AM

Per Deadlne:

Roadside Attractions and LD Entertainment’s Judy went from last week’s 461 screens to a staggering 1,458 runs in 202 markets.

Currently sitting at an 83% Rotten Tomatoes score and coming off of a $2.9 Million opening weekend, the Judy Garland biopic starring Renee Zellweger continues to go over the rainbow as it took in an estimated $4,445,635 this weekend, bringing its cume to $8,904,078 and keeping it at number 7 in the top 10 films of the weekend.

This is up 52% from last week’s gross. If it continues its momentum, the film will hit the mid-teens and, without a doubt, remain in the awards season conversation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 8, 2019 4:23 AM

[quote] Per Deadlne: Roadside Attractions and LD Entertainment’s Judy went from last week’s 461 screens to a staggering 1,458 runs in 202 markets.

1458 screens is hardly staggering. It's actually pretty anemic for a wide release.

[quote] Currently sitting at an 83% Rotten Tomatoes score and coming off of a $2.9 Million opening weekend, the Judy Garland biopic starring Renee Zellweger continues to go over the rainbow as it took in an estimated $4,445,635 this weekend, bringing its cume to $8,904,078 and keeping it at number 7 in the top 10 films of the weekend.

Big deal. In it's first weekend of full wide release it grossed a less than impressive $3K per screen.

[quote] This is up 52% from last week’s gross.

Of course it is. It added 900+ screens. When you consider the film added over 200% of screens and only increased 52% in gross, that doesn't bode well.

Deadline is pathetic at spin.

by Anonymousreply 53October 8, 2019 4:59 PM

how much did it cost including advertising?

by Anonymousreply 54October 8, 2019 5:01 PM

Budget was $10m. Dunno what the marketing costs are, but they've started low because they intend to try and run this through the awards season and need money for that. I would estimate that if they go all the way with it, they'll probably spend $10-$12m on P&A.

by Anonymousreply 55October 8, 2019 5:20 PM

We prefer the real thing.....and for free!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 8, 2019 7:35 PM

The movie is a compassionate portrait of Judy, who really didn't deserve such a tribute. I can't understand why bitter old queens such as Rex Reed and Mick LaSalle hate it so.

by Anonymousreply 57October 8, 2019 8:04 PM

An uncompassionate, warts-and-all portrait of Judy would be a horror movie. She would need to be played by someone like Kathy Bates (in her "Misery" mode). Stephen King would need to write the script.

by Anonymousreply 58October 8, 2019 8:26 PM

You queens are so desperate to refute what really happened in that last year, brilliant performance by Zellweger, who cares if she wins a piece of metal, she has already won, deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 59October 16, 2019 11:25 PM

[quote] I saw it in a theater full of gays, most of them elders.

I wish I'd been there with you. That's the only way to see it.

[quote]An uncompassionate, warts-and-all portrait of Judy would be a horror movie. She would need to be played by someone like Kathy Bates (in her "Misery" mode).

You think she could do skinny Judy?

by Anonymousreply 60October 16, 2019 11:34 PM

R49, Jessie Buckley is also the ex of DL fav James Norton.

by Anonymousreply 61October 16, 2019 11:53 PM

[quote]r8 many of Judys admirers had bought most of the remaining plots near her grave. Liza and her siblings realized there would be no room near her mother when it was their time for burial.

The Garland spawn stated their boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 62October 17, 2019 12:13 AM

Loved Renee but disliked the script.

by Anonymousreply 63October 17, 2019 1:36 AM

Interesting video about whch things were correct or incorrect in the movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 18, 2019 11:57 PM

Saw it at a bargain Tuesday night screening. Theater seemed about 80 percent full. All the males in the audience appeared to be gay, almost all over 40 (maybe one or two in their 30s). A handful of females, apparently fag hags with gay men.

Renee did a great job. Really outstanding performance. Script left something to be desired. Still very poignant, but needed a bit more punch. I give the movie 2.5 stars or a grade of B.

by Anonymousreply 65October 19, 2019 2:05 AM

Just like all of Judy's concert ticket buyers were as well so there is validity in their reviews.

by Anonymousreply 66October 19, 2019 10:27 PM

Is the "Sid & Judy" documentary Showtime just put out any good? Jon Hamm and Jennifer Jason Leigh both sound like they're ovrracting again in the small preview I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 67October 20, 2019 1:08 PM

I just saw JUDY.... and I have more questions than answers, DL!

Were any of you bitches there at her Talk Of The Town concerts in London? Fess up.

Is it factually accurate that she broke down onstage that final night during "Over the Rainbow," and the audience leapt to their feet to serenade her instead?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 30, 2020 5:33 AM

Here's what Andrew Lloyd Webber said in his auto-biography:

I was humming a chorus of "How do you solve a problem like Evita?" when I remembered back in 1969 I saw one of the last-ever concerts by Judy Garland at London's The Talk of the Town. Non-perform might be more accurate, Judy was an hour late on stage and the dinner-theatre crowd, fuelled by the cheap house champagne, was restless, to put it mildly. Eventually she stumbled on, made a stab at "The Trolley Song," but was so blurred and incoherent that audience members threw coins on the stage.

What happened next was unforgettable. She motioned to the musical director and he started playing "Over The Rainbow." As she stumbled through her signature song, the booing and whistling grew louder and louder. "Over The Rainbow," her anthem, the song which is indelibly Judy's and Judy's alone, was devouring her like a vulture on a battlefield.

He goes on to say that he used that image in Evita. He created "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" as Eva's signature song, then has her sing it later in the show when she is sick and broken down.

by Anonymousreply 69August 30, 2020 5:49 AM

Good story, R69.

So Judy fucking up "Over The Rainbow" led to "Don't Cry For Me Argentina."

It's like the show queen circle of life!

by Anonymousreply 70August 30, 2020 5:51 AM

If only they had let Liza do the movie version of Evita! She could have repaired her damaged mother's reputation.

by Anonymousreply 71August 30, 2020 5:55 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 30, 2020 6:09 AM

I didn't read it as anything but her own neuroses, R72. Was Judy known to try to undermine Liza?

I find it more distracting that the actress playing Liza looked and sounded nothing like Liza.

by Anonymousreply 73August 31, 2020 9:30 PM

[quote]Was Judy known to try to undermine Liza?

She told Liza not to sing any of the songs that she sang. So it seems there might have been a bit of jealousy there.

by Anonymousreply 74August 31, 2020 10:38 PM

Was it jealousy or was she protecting her knowing that she'd get unfair comparisons?

by Anonymousreply 75August 31, 2020 11:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!