Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Amsterdam... Lets discuss!

I love how healthy and in shape everybody is from riding bikes everywhere

by Anonymousreply 209October 19, 2019 8:17 PM

In Amsterdam all seems to breathe freedom and peace, and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils

by Anonymousreply 1September 22, 2019 3:47 AM

At least in the USA, the pedestrian has the right of way.....in Europe, you can get run over with a person on a bike or someone driving a small Fiat.

by Anonymousreply 2September 22, 2019 4:01 AM

I hate how all the citizens come to work sweaty and reeking from riding their bikes to work.

by Anonymousreply 3September 22, 2019 4:03 AM

They don't R3 They're used to it, it's not like it's a workout

by Anonymousreply 4September 22, 2019 4:12 AM

I’m 6’2” and am used to being able to see above a bar crowd in the US; as well as having to lean down to speak with a short person.

In Amsterdam, I can’t see over the crown because they are all so tall. I can also converse without having to lean over to hear and be heard.

It may seem like a small thing, but it’s oddly discombobulating.

by Anonymousreply 5September 22, 2019 4:28 AM

^. Was in Amsterdam this past July. Couldn’t get over how high the toilets are. My feet couldn’t reach the ground.

by Anonymousreply 6September 22, 2019 4:37 AM

Does anyone there have a small dick?

by Anonymousreply 7September 22, 2019 4:42 AM

R5, the Dutch are the tallest people in the world.

by Anonymousreply 8September 22, 2019 4:58 AM

The Dutch are also very big boned. Big hips, legs like tree stumps and huge asses.

by Anonymousreply 9September 22, 2019 1:01 PM

r7 not from my sampling..

by Anonymousreply 10September 22, 2019 2:07 PM

The Dutch cyclist is usually in road rage, so watch out especially if you are on foot.

by Anonymousreply 11September 22, 2019 3:48 PM

Have they cleaned up their drug abuse problems yet?

by Anonymousreply 12September 22, 2019 3:51 PM

[QUOTE]The Dutch cyclist is usually in road rage, so watch out especially if you are on foot

Yup, it's like they're possessed by a demon.

by Anonymousreply 13September 22, 2019 4:02 PM

Love Amsterdam - despite the increasing hordes of tourists. Perfectly quaint yet modern. Continental yet down to earth. Efficient and practical. Get off airplane and be in central Amsterdam in 20-30 mins. Water flowing everywhere, cute little alleyways and houses. Great beer, pot, gay bars, back rooms, fast food, Indonesian, Italian, Dutch, Middle Eastern food.

I hate it’s become so expensive and crowded. But it’s my favorite European city by far. And you can jaunt down to Paris for a day or two on the high speed train straight from the center to indulge your artistic needs. Or visit a cute little Dutch town like Delft for the day.

by Anonymousreply 14September 22, 2019 4:02 PM

When I visited in the 90s, Amsterdam felt like one massive red light district, with some of the seediest places and people I've ever seen. It defined "seedy". I hope it's improved.

by Anonymousreply 15September 22, 2019 4:04 PM

Tall and big cocks?

I am SO there!

by Anonymousreply 16September 22, 2019 4:06 PM

I've never been.

BUT my flight leaves tomorrow! I'll be there a week. Any pointers, recommendations, warnings?

by Anonymousreply 17September 22, 2019 4:13 PM

[quote] BUT my flight leaves tomorrow! I'll be there a week. Any pointers, recommendations, warnings?

Go to the Anne Frank House and see Shelley Winters' Oscar. You can still see the indentations where she had trouble letting it go. Poor Mr. Frank had to pry it out of her hands.

Note to Shelley: Don't make a promise your ass can't cash.

by Anonymousreply 18September 22, 2019 4:33 PM

I took my scarf off to Shelley!

by Anonymousreply 19September 22, 2019 4:35 PM

I was there in June and took a cab. The driver had to drive down a narrow street and some blond bitch would not move her bike out of the street to let him pass. He asked her nicely several times and she shook her head “no” and pointed for him to maneuver his car close to hitting a house on the other side of the street (meaning he had to drive on the opposite sidewalk).

I asked the driver why she was such a bitch about it. He said because he looked like an immigrant, he gets that reaction from Dutch folks.

So I think Amsterdam - at least most recently - is anti-immigrant and full of blond, bicycling cunts.

by Anonymousreply 20September 22, 2019 4:42 PM

Amsterdammers are known for despising taxi drivers, R20, regardless of race or skin color. They have a terrible reputation because they can be quite rude and will tell passengers looking for shorter journeys to walk to their destination instead, if the fare isn't worth their while. The Netherlands is also one of the countries with the highest cab fares in the world, and taking lots of taxis is considered somewhat extravagant by the frugal Dutch.

by Anonymousreply 21September 22, 2019 5:02 PM

R9– I heard Princess Beatrix takes a lot of taxis

by Anonymousreply 22September 22, 2019 5:11 PM

Home to famous actress Tony "Empress" Geary

by Anonymousreply 23September 22, 2019 5:17 PM

They eat mayonnaise on their french fries.

by Anonymousreply 24September 22, 2019 5:19 PM

and it's delish, r24.

by Anonymousreply 25September 22, 2019 6:09 PM

Love Doutzen, but damn Derek Blasberg really does seem to be a charmless moron.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 22, 2019 6:15 PM

I was bored to tears both times I was in Amsterdam. I now know that I missed some of the hot gay spots, despite my google efforts. I couldn't wait to get to Berlin. Guys are tall and uncut. But not all that gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 27September 22, 2019 6:56 PM

I loved the Van Gogh Museum.

IIRC, fine art museum was full of those dark painting that the Dutch liken in the 17th century. Men in black cloaks, with a white color, on a black background. All boring. But if you’re there a week, I suppose you should go.

I had the worst table service there at an outdoor cafe.

by Anonymousreply 28September 22, 2019 7:35 PM

What's going to happen to Dutch-land when the sea levels rise and swamp us all?

by Anonymousreply 29September 22, 2019 7:40 PM

By that time r29, they will move further inland just in time for the political battles between the secular whites and the ballooning muslim minority. Add global warming into the mix and you'll see a lot of drama in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 30September 22, 2019 8:26 PM

The only bright spot in global warming is the Dutch. I have faith that they will figure out how to deal with rising sea levels. Of course, it requires and active, pragmatic, functioning government that invests in infrastructure. Our Netherlands - New Orleans - doesn’t compare to Netherlands now and will be flooded. God bless the Dutch.

I saw the issues of immigration overwhelm Holland first. In then1990s, Pim Fortuyn, a gay man, was warning how Islam left him feeling unsafe in his own country because of the unchecked volume and absence of integration to Dutch values. Combined with overtourism, Holland is one of the leaders in addressing modern Europe’s issues.

by Anonymousreply 31September 22, 2019 8:59 PM

Love: food, bikes, architecture, tall straightforward dorky men with big cocks, cookies, the surrounding flat countryside, the beaches, a few of the museums, the butterfly greenhouse

Dislike: tourists - especially the grungy global hipsters, the dampness

by Anonymousreply 32September 22, 2019 9:00 PM

Here’s what I heard, but didn’t actually see it myself.

Apparently, the baths are really busy Fridays and Saturdays, right after work. The young gay guys go there and get laid. With that out of the way, they spend the rest of the weekend, undistracted, with friends.

by Anonymousreply 33September 22, 2019 9:20 PM

R22 Thurn and Taxis?

by Anonymousreply 34September 22, 2019 9:26 PM

Too many tourists and yuppies in the city centre. Dutch has become a second language and the orignal inhabitants no longer feel at home there.

by Anonymousreply 35September 22, 2019 9:45 PM

Also, there’s currently a lot of drug-related crime going on. It’s a city full of tedious and self-satisfied cokeheads. Avoid.

by Anonymousreply 36September 22, 2019 9:48 PM

Even average Dutch boys are hotties with big legs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 22, 2019 9:50 PM

But New Zealanders usually have the best legs in the world.

by Anonymousreply 38September 22, 2019 9:50 PM

The Dutch justice minister, Ferdinand Grapperhaus, has acknowledged that it's easier in Amsterdam to have a gram of coke delivered to your house than a pizza.

by Anonymousreply 39September 22, 2019 9:58 PM

Detour, why did they allow auto-tune on the audition? You can hear the voice correction in his notes, like yikes! Hottie for sure, I'd like those legs on my shoulders while I plow that Dutch ass.

by Anonymousreply 40September 22, 2019 9:58 PM

Anyone visited alone? I rarely can find any friends with the same vacation interests and/or schedule as I do. I was actually thinking about to visiting there & taking the train to Paris and flying home from Paris.

A lot of the descriptions (bikes, tall people) remind me of Copenhagen. Copenhagen was nice as a solo visitor... lots to see, amazing bakeries that were out of this world.

My friend went to a bath house in Amsterdam and said it was cunty and left. So that's all I know about the gay scene...not that I am a big gay scene person anyway.

by Anonymousreply 41September 22, 2019 9:59 PM

[quote]BUT my flight leaves tomorrow! I'll be there a week. Any pointers, recommendations, warnings?

Have some Indonesian food! Warning: spiciness goes from Hot to Chernobyl.

Practice moderation if you try the edibles. Tourists end up eating too many edibles and go through a weed overdose, which is essentially a nuclear-powered anxiety attack. Not fun.

Spend some time in the cafes. Dutch cafes take pride in being warm and cozy.

by Anonymousreply 42September 22, 2019 10:01 PM

I went to Amsterdam several times, alone, but during my good looking years. I met plenty of local guys just out and about and of course the saunas for anyone from around the world.

There is certainly plenty to do as a single person if you don't want or can't get sex.

by Anonymousreply 43September 22, 2019 10:01 PM

I had an interesting experience there.

It was raining, and I was trying to read a map in the rain, to get to a nearby Gay bar. While I stood there in the rain with my map, I heard two nearby guys arguing. One of the guys leaves. The other, a Turkish guy, asks me for a light. He tells me the other guy was going to mug me, but he shooed the guy away.

I then asked him to show me where the bar was, which he did. I gave him a $20 for his help, and bought him a beer. As we sat chatting, he took out a pack of cigarettes and pack of matches and lit a cigarette.

I then asked him why he approached me earlier for a match, when he already had one. He quickly got up and left the bar.

This was a great scam. Instead of violence that would attract the police, he got me to voluntarily give him money. I think the entire story was a set-up.

If there’s a lesson, one would be not to whip out a map on a dark street, as it announces that you’re a tourist.

by Anonymousreply 44September 22, 2019 10:26 PM

Thanks for the reminder, OP darling. I met the love of my life there three summers ago on a romantic weekend spent in Vogelpark & Dam Square by the canal, and we didn't even get to kiss or fuck. That was the first and last time we saw each other, and as far as I know it's likely we may never meet again.

by Anonymousreply 45September 22, 2019 11:45 PM

[quote]on a romantic weekend spent in Vogelpark

I think you mean Vondelpark?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 22, 2019 11:58 PM

Kom a.u.b niet hier. We zijn vol en toeristen zijn klootzakken. Berlijn is leuk.

by Anonymousreply 47September 23, 2019 12:01 AM

Who uses a map any longer?

by Anonymousreply 48September 23, 2019 12:04 AM

Cuntiness does abound at that sauna near Amsterdam Centraal.

by Anonymousreply 49September 23, 2019 12:14 AM

R48, this was probably about 1998 or so, so people still used paper maps.

by Anonymousreply 50September 23, 2019 12:15 AM

R9 Are they really? I keep hearing a lot of them are way too thin. Perhaps that's another country.

by Anonymousreply 51September 23, 2019 12:22 AM

They are thin, and big boned. duh

by Anonymousreply 52September 23, 2019 12:23 AM

Antonio’s in Leidseplein makes great pizzas but the customer service is TERRIBLE.

by Anonymousreply 53September 23, 2019 12:29 AM

The best bread I've ever had. And get on the stoep!

by Anonymousreply 54September 23, 2019 12:32 AM

I enjoy the seemingly comfortable mix of extremes when I'm there. The Dutch for all their freedoms, expect a high amount of conformity in exchange for the privileges you get, and I honestly would be more reluctant to cross the authorities in The Netherlands than just about any other place in Western Europe. So tolerant, yet they can be hard and mean bastards when pushed a little too much. I hope the balance continues, but we can see from history that it doesn't. I got incredibly creeped out when I visited the Anne Frank House.

by Anonymousreply 55September 23, 2019 12:48 AM

The various Jewish museums give a lot more context to the history of Dutch Jews. Amsterdam was a refuge for Jews in the 16th and 17th centuries. By the 20th Century, a sizable community was built. The bureaucracy kept (and shared) detailed records of the population, which made it easier than other countries to target people. Hitler killed 80% of Dutch Jews.

by Anonymousreply 56September 23, 2019 1:13 AM

Have the mussies taken over there yet?

by Anonymousreply 57September 23, 2019 1:15 AM

Yes, Rose, R57. Amsterdam has been renamed Nije Aleppo.

by Anonymousreply 58September 23, 2019 1:18 AM

The harsh directness can be disconcerting. Especially coming from waiters. But I leaned to pref it to the obnoxiousness of the French. And being able to speak English is a luxury.

Travelled a lot there by myself in my 20s and 30s. Always met fellow tourists. Lots of gay tourists. Fun cheap happy hours. Or at the pot coffeehouses. The backrooms can be fun - one of the few places where they still have them.

by Anonymousreply 59September 23, 2019 1:24 AM

Some of the tram conductors are frustrated comedians. Which I enjoyed.

by Anonymousreply 60September 23, 2019 1:58 AM

For a more authentic experience stay in Utrecht or den Haag. Relaxed locals, far less tourists, fewer rip offs/bad service. 30 -45 minutes away by train.

by Anonymousreply 61September 23, 2019 2:02 AM

My husband and I visited in the winter of 1997. The two things I remember most is garbage frozen in the ice of the canals and being accosted by a junkie while walking back to our hotel.

by Anonymousreply 62September 23, 2019 2:03 AM

I stayed with friends behind the Concert Hall. It strongly resembled back bay Boston. Dutch guys are tall but not particularly good looking.

by Anonymousreply 63September 23, 2019 2:10 AM

I love Haarlem, R61. And it’s much closer to Amsterdam than Den Haag and Utrecht.

by Anonymousreply 64September 23, 2019 2:11 AM

Yes Haarlem's center square, Grote Markt, was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 65September 23, 2019 2:16 AM

Nice big uncut poles but dirty assholes. That is a big turnoff. The Moselms there have clean holes there though.....

by Anonymousreply 66September 23, 2019 2:18 AM

I stayed by the zoo last time I was there, and every night the streetcar would come off the main route, go past my hotel, and park in the side street about a block down. The driver would turn off the power, lock the door, and then pedal off on his bicycle. The street car would sit there unattended until dawn when the morning driver would pedal back and put it back in service. No vandalism, no graffiti, it just sat there all night.

Can you imagine that happening in almost any other major city?

by Anonymousreply 67September 23, 2019 2:22 AM

R67, well, there are tons of bicycles also just parked unlocked, too.

by Anonymousreply 68September 23, 2019 2:25 AM

I enjoyed the Amsterdam Zoo and recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 69September 23, 2019 2:25 AM

R23 Deary he is an actor not an actress. He has a cock. However you are quite right about him being an Empress. A Dowager Empress to be exact

by Anonymousreply 70September 23, 2019 2:27 AM

I wonder if Geary had to learn the language to become a permanent resident. I heard that’s a requirement.

by Anonymousreply 71September 23, 2019 2:30 AM

When i went to school in Geneva in 80s nobody locked doors or bicycles but that's all finished now. Amsterdam is still an unlocked bike town? I'm not sure.

by Anonymousreply 72September 23, 2019 2:37 AM

Anthony Geary shares a look at his life in Amsterdam!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 23, 2019 2:41 AM

[quote]Have the mussies taken over there yet?

Have the male pussies taken over??

Oh, sorry. You're an illiterate racist, my bad.

by Anonymousreply 74September 23, 2019 2:44 AM

Thanks for that, R73. But where are the rentboys?

by Anonymousreply 75September 23, 2019 2:45 AM

would love to go once a year. It's got its own excitement, and there are some decadent little gay bars which are kind of fun. but overall, it just has a great vibe as a city.

by Anonymousreply 76September 23, 2019 2:49 AM

The problem is so many tourists don’t get out of the center near the train station, Dam Square and the Red Light district. It’s like visiting San Francisco and only seeing Union Square. Outside of the center, it’s beautiful. The Jordaan is one of my favorite neighborhoods in the world. And it’s easy to to day trip to other towns like Utrecht and Delft via Central Station. I’m missing it as I type.

by Anonymousreply 77September 23, 2019 2:52 AM

R77, I’m in love with the de Pijp area. I always go to Albert Cuyp Market.

by Anonymousreply 78September 23, 2019 3:06 AM

The bicyclists are assholes.

by Anonymousreply 79September 23, 2019 3:08 AM

And they’re getting worse, R79.

by Anonymousreply 80September 23, 2019 3:08 AM

I desperately want to go. I used to want to move to holland

by Anonymousreply 81September 23, 2019 3:12 AM

some of us LIKE the red district thing, r77. Not everyone wants a gorgeous rural vista.

On the other hand, I do love the history of the place. It's weird the combination of uptight dutch puritanism and do your own thing sexuallly that makes Amsterdam so fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 82September 23, 2019 3:17 AM

The main red light district (De Wallen) will either be phased out or moved to another district over the next few years. I wish I’d visited there back in the 70s and 80s. Now way too many of them look either Eastern European or like trannies.

by Anonymousreply 83September 23, 2019 3:23 AM

I've spent many evenings just getting on random ferries at the piers behind the Central Train Station and riding them to wherever they take me.

by Anonymousreply 84September 23, 2019 3:30 AM

R27 Yes, tall, uncut and hugely hung. Dutch cock is some of the biggest and best out there.

by Anonymousreply 85September 23, 2019 4:08 AM

[quote]I've spent many evenings just getting on random ferries at the piers behind the Central Train Station and riding them to wherever they take me.

I'm glad you're an active bottom, but don't you think it's a big homophobic to be calling your tricks "ferries"?

by Anonymousreply 86September 23, 2019 2:15 PM

Interestingly in my 25 years of going to Amsterdam, I have never taken one of those ferries. And now I hear the area on the other side of the station a ferry ride across is the hip area. Just seems like such a hassle to have to get back on a ferry after a night out.

I love being able to walk home from Reguliersdwarstraat after a few beers and a joint at The Otherside, stop at NY Pizza or another fast food spot (not FEBO - disgusting) on Leidestraat and roam through the Jordaan to a little canal house apartment. It really is like the perfect little village.

by Anonymousreply 87September 23, 2019 2:57 PM

We must fly to Amsterdam next month for a root canal. Very expensive the dentist, the air fare and hotel for a poor woman such as ourself But at least we will save the tooth, it is top high tech endontal care.

by Anonymousreply 88September 23, 2019 3:01 PM

Geez Louise, R88, did you have to bring up dentistry into our lovely conversation? Next thing you’ll bring up your taxes next.

by Anonymousreply 89September 23, 2019 3:31 PM

income and 'wealth' taxes there are horrendous for residents

by Anonymousreply 90September 23, 2019 3:33 PM

[quote]It's weird the combination of uptight dutch puritanism and do your own thing sexuallly that makes Amsterdam so fascinating.

All of the Protestant countries are like this, including the US.

by Anonymousreply 91September 23, 2019 3:36 PM

I enjoyed it very much the first time I visited. I went back a few years later, and realized that once was probably enough. There isn't enough to see and do to warrant more than one visit.

by Anonymousreply 92September 23, 2019 3:43 PM

R92, I realized that after two visits I ran out of “things to do” but also realized I just love the vibe and the people and that’s brought me back several more times. And I’m going back next week. Here’s one thing I fall back on if the weather’s really bad-I go to the movies. I never go to cinemas here in NYC but I love the ones in Amsterdam like the Tuschinski, Pathe City and the Rialto. The cinemagoers are way more respectful and generally keep their mouths shut during the film.

by Anonymousreply 93September 23, 2019 3:49 PM

As a regular visitor I agree R92. Which is why I’m confused it become such a tourist Mecca. The canals and architecture - and prostitution and pot - are unique. But it’s not like Paris or Rome in size or scope of tourist activities

Part of the reason I like going back there is the absence of pressure to do touristy things. Just wandering and exploring new neighborhoods or towns - or simply reading a book overlooking the canal - is a perfect vacation for me from NYC. It’s small scale makes it feel like I’m getting away from the intensity of a big city - yet the amenities and gay nightlife provide me all I’m used to from a big city.

by Anonymousreply 94September 23, 2019 3:51 PM

I wish that sauna near Amsterdam Centraal was less cunty. And the cruising area wasn’t so poorly lit.

by Anonymousreply 95September 23, 2019 3:54 PM

Haven’t been to a sauna in 10 years. Feel too old - and prefer back rooms where the dick is all that matters. But I remember Thermos was the nice one. Very European - food, drinks, socializing. It was near Leidesplein.

by Anonymousreply 96September 23, 2019 3:59 PM

Are they a Germanic people? What does the rest of Europe think of the Dutch? I've been to Amsterdam a couple of times. It is a charming place but the people seem intense but at least they're not as humorless as the Swiss.

by Anonymousreply 97September 23, 2019 3:59 PM

We still refer to Amsterdam as "The land of no sex", because that is what it was for us. It's why we did not stay there, in additia to the horrible winters.

by Anonymousreply 98September 23, 2019 4:01 PM

[quote]but I love the ones in Amsterdam like the Tuschinski

The Tuschinki theatre is worth a visit for the Art Deco/Jugendstil interior alone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 23, 2019 4:03 PM

It really is gorgeous, R99.

I don’t think Thermos sauna is around anymore.

by Anonymousreply 100September 23, 2019 4:48 PM

Thermos Sauna closed in 2016. NZ Sauna is the only gay sauna in Amsterdam and it’s thoroughly cunty.

by Anonymousreply 101September 23, 2019 4:50 PM

How is a sauna cunty?? If u don't have a great bod or big dick you get the stink eye?

by Anonymousreply 102September 23, 2019 7:46 PM

The Dutch are very brusque. If they are not interested, there is no chit chat - just a no. On the flip side, if they are interested, it’s very efficient and direct sex. But not a romantic people. Which is the way I like my sex.

There is also a sizable Asian group however that is very different and can be stalker-y. As well as Moroccan/North Africa - though seems like there are very few out gay Moroccans - who can be more business oriented

Not sure if Why Not, the gay brothel is still open. But it’s kinda disappointing. No Dutch boys - just Asian and Moroccan and a few Eastern European. The Eastern Europeans used to be more prevalent but I guess they no longer come to Amsterdam for sex work. They just stay in Prague - now that William Higgins and all the other old johns just go directly there.

by Anonymousreply 103September 23, 2019 8:08 PM

R103 The Germans are very similar.

by Anonymousreply 104September 23, 2019 8:17 PM

German men are way more sexual and passionate than Dutch men, in my experiences with them.

by Anonymousreply 105September 23, 2019 8:47 PM

I lived there for almost a year when I was 24. The winter was really tough. I took alot of drugs and had alot of sex. Didn't love the Dutch really but I think I was so messed up that I didn't really get ino it in the right way. Too much sex with strangers and bad friends.

by Anonymousreply 106September 23, 2019 8:56 PM

Ask me anything!

by Anonymousreply 107September 23, 2019 9:02 PM

And yes, the Dutch are infamously direct. We never mean it bad, though. I think it has to do with our history of mercenaries. What you see is what you get, no means no.

We don't mean any harm by being so direct. We just don't beat around the bush, you'll always know exactly where you stand with a Dutchman.

by Anonymousreply 108September 23, 2019 9:04 PM

R108 If you could live anywhere in the Netherlands where would it be?

by Anonymousreply 109September 23, 2019 9:10 PM

I’m not R108 but I’d love to retire to Haarlem. It’s a smaller version of Amsterdam with 90% less tourists. I don’t care about the crappy weather. I’d definitely have a skylight so I could hear the rain lashing down. At my airbnb there it’s one of my favorite things.

by Anonymousreply 110September 23, 2019 10:00 PM

I fantasize about living in Texel - an island off the north coast. But realistically too remote for more than a month.

by Anonymousreply 111September 24, 2019 12:45 AM

R109 - I would pick Maastricht. Beautiful old city, very liveable.

Amsterdam isn’t what it used to be anymore. We sold ourselves out to cheap mass tourism.

by Anonymousreply 112September 24, 2019 4:39 AM

And, well, other things too....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113September 24, 2019 5:01 AM

I taught 8th grade there for 10 months, and let me tell you the native kids do not like immigrant people of any creed or color (but they especially dislike Easterners). They’re vocal & proud about their intolerance, too. The culture there is very different to other places in Europe & the West in that regard.

The young kids there also have impeccably fluent English (mostly gleaned from YouTube/Tumblr etc. and I dubbed movies/tv on Netflix rather than lessons in school) and high intelligence across the board.

by Anonymousreply 114September 24, 2019 10:14 AM

They should be deservedly proud of their country. But more so than the UK, they were overwhelmed with immigrants early on.

by Anonymousreply 115September 24, 2019 12:52 PM

4 Things to Expect When you Visit Amsterdam.

From a gay American expat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116September 24, 2019 1:13 PM

Dear God r116.

by Anonymousreply 117September 24, 2019 1:40 PM

R117 right? I couldn’t even make it through the first minute.

by Anonymousreply 118September 24, 2019 1:59 PM

Is Life Easier in NYC or Amsterdam?

The girl is on point!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119September 24, 2019 2:22 PM

R119 .. Amazing that he such a world traveler and he still talks ghetto.. 3 times he said. ‘ What Imma go ahead a do is’

by Anonymousreply 120September 24, 2019 2:38 PM

Joey can be amusing at times but he’s way too over the top a lot of the time. His Dutch bf seems nice.

by Anonymousreply 121September 24, 2019 6:57 PM

Amsterdam is incredibly easy. They could use more corner delis/convenience stores - but very walkable everywhere. And a few Albert Heijns which serve as a mini-grocer/convenience store. Also not 24 hour like NY - but that contributes to the slower pace of life. Lots of take out food and delivery.

by Anonymousreply 122September 24, 2019 8:00 PM

Interesting that a city with more fast food places in a concentrated area as I’ll ever see in my life still doesn’t have a 5 Guys or Shake Shack.

by Anonymousreply 123September 24, 2019 8:14 PM

Hipsters, expats, tourists and yuppies have ruined Amsterdam. Real ‘amsterdammers’ life on the edge of the city. They can’t afford the houses in the neighbourhoods that most tourists associate with the city, unless they’re lucky enough to have scored social housing there.

by Anonymousreply 124September 24, 2019 8:40 PM

R123 we‘re not that big on American fast food - try a Kroket or Bitterball next time you visit!

by Anonymousreply 125September 24, 2019 8:50 PM

I have, Dutchie! And a frikandel from FEBO. Not a fan. But, damn, I do like those chicken hot dogs with bacon, chopped onions and curry sauce in Dam Square. And I dream of those burgers at Burger Bar. And those fries from Pietersma Snacks in Albert Cuyp Market.

by Anonymousreply 126September 24, 2019 9:25 PM

You, good sir, are a true connoisseur.

by Anonymousreply 127September 24, 2019 9:58 PM

LOL, Dutchie. I’m back there next week (I live in NYC). First stop-Dam Square! And then off to Albert Cuyp Market, where I also enjoy the kippen broodjes.

by Anonymousreply 128September 24, 2019 10:13 PM

You guys are making me hungry!

by Anonymousreply 129September 25, 2019 5:49 AM

We recall a hot young Dutch truly magnificent uncut sizemeat that was actually the size of our arm, he was a fish-fucker who wanted to try something different. This was in 1996

And the most incredible thing was...he paid us!

The only bad part was that he would not pork us 'natural' but demanded a rubber, so we harvested his load orally instead!

by Anonymousreply 130September 25, 2019 9:02 AM

I lived there as a 24 year old and was a total slut. Saunas mainly. It was sex and drugs for me. I use to go to a gym there and the sauna was always fall of gay men wanking each other off. I had sex with the gym instructor in the showers too. It was fun.

by Anonymousreply 131September 25, 2019 9:58 AM

Not one gay sauna in Haarlem, just one pathetic gay bar. Unbelievable.

But back to Amsterdam-has anyone been to the Rijksmuseum to check out the ongoing restoration of Rembrandt’s Night Watch?

by Anonymousreply 132September 25, 2019 12:08 PM

Yes I was there last summer. It's pretty spectacular. I love the Dutch masters.

by Anonymousreply 133September 25, 2019 2:12 PM

Dutchie, do you know if the absoluteky adorable stroopwafel guy at Albert Cuyp Market enjoys the homosex? He’s so frigging charming.

by Anonymousreply 134September 25, 2019 8:43 PM

is this him R134 ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135September 26, 2019 3:30 PM

Amsterdam sounds like more effort than its worth.

Perhaps it was a place to be in 1990 when the world was much more uptight and mass tourism wasn't a thing.

By all accounts, the people, the weather, and the food are cold and uninspiring.

Big dicks alone won't make up for that, unless you are a size queen.

by Anonymousreply 136September 26, 2019 7:56 PM

Yes, R135. I’m in love. He’s so damn cute.

by Anonymousreply 137September 26, 2019 8:05 PM

You’re right R136 - Adam was more of the place in the 90s. Legal pot, backroom sex, leather - and very cutting-edge tech for the time (Internet, etc) . Now the US has legal pot, the leather scene has died - and the main issue, it’s overtouristed. I still like it but prefer the smaller towns for a real Dutch vibe. But def worth seeing - the canals and 17th century canal houses are beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 138September 26, 2019 9:12 PM

Crossing Prinsengracht (Prince’s Canal) always gives me a lovely feeling whenever I visit.

by Anonymousreply 139September 26, 2019 9:25 PM

For those looking for insider tips.. I put a little list together for you.

Areas to visit: - Oud-Zuid: Beautiful museums (Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh, Stedelijk) and a wonderful park in English style (Vondelpark). Excellent restaurants. Pricey. One of Amsterdam’s snobbiest neighbourhood. Worth it. - Plantagebuurt: Elegant neighbourhood, and certainly recommended for a nice stroll. - Utrechtsestraat: Leisurely shopping streets that crosses all of the channels - Prinsengracht: In my opinion the most pedestrian canal. Certainly not as chique as the Herengracht, let alone the Keizersgracht. But, much more alive. - Amstelhotel: Worldfamous hotel on the river Amstel, truly fit for a King. Pricey, but stunning. Reservations are a must.

Areas to avoid: - Damrak. Trashy. Crowded. Yuck! Amsterdammers avoid this stretch like the plague. - Nieuwendijk: Cheap shops. Nothing special. - De Wallen: Collective name for a district of canals. While the smaller canals and 17th century houses are beautiful, the British drunks flown in from Manchester are not.

Only go during weekdays: - De Dam: Also called Damsquare, this crowded square is home to the Royal Palace and the impressive Nieuwe Kerk (church). This is where Dutch monarchs abdicate and get sworn in. Never go here on a Saturday. - Nieuwmarkt: Beautiful old castle-like structure dating back to the 16th century. Chinese neighbourhood around the corner. Great food. Best days are Tuesday and Wednesday.

And finally, some words of wisdom: - The Dutch are very direct but mostly cordial. You’ll never hear someone say “No, so sorry we ran out of apple juice. But maybe try...” - we’ll just answer with a curt “No”. It’s a cultural thing, take no offence and enjoy the fact that you know exactly where you’re standing! - We all speak fluent English, as we don’t overdub British/American movies. A couple of Dutch words will go a long way to charm a Dutchman! - The country is called The Netherlands, and it’s a kingdom comprised of four countries, the other countries are islands situated in the Caribbean. Don’t call it Holland, we may get offended - even though you’ll find tour operators advertising our country as Holland. - Self-confidence is something we take pride in, and the Dutch aren’t shy. Again, being direct is key - but direct does not equal rude. - Amsterdam is a pretty safe city, observe the normal precautions you would follow in any city. - The sidewalks are narrow, the bikes are coming from all directions and you may be surprised to suddenly find a tram breathing down your neck. Watch where you’re going! - Amsterdam is an expensive city. - Haarlem and Utrecht are only a 30 minute train ride away. Lovely cities for a day trip, both very Dutch and less hectic than Amsterdam.

Have fun!

by Anonymousreply 140September 28, 2019 7:42 AM

Ok, this time WITH formatting.. hopefully.

—————-

For those looking for insider tips.. I put a little list together for you.

Areas to visit:

- Oud-Zuid: Beautiful museums (Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh, Stedelijk) and a wonderful park in English style (Vondelpark). Excellent restaurants. Pricey. One of Amsterdam’s snobbiest neighbourhood. Worth it.

- Plantagebuurt: Elegant neighbourhood, and certainly recommended for a nice stroll.

- Utrechtsestraat: Leisurely shopping streets that crosses all of the channels

- Prinsengracht: In my opinion the most pedestrian canal. Certainly not as chique as the Herengracht, let alone the Keizersgracht. But, much more alive.

- Amstelhotel: Worldfamous hotel on the river Amstel, truly fit for a King. Pricey, but stunning. Reservations are a must.

Areas to avoid:

- Damrak. Trashy. Crowded. Yuck! Amsterdammers avoid this stretch like the plague.

- Nieuwendijk: Cheap shops. Nothing special.

- De Wallen: Collective name for a district of canals. While the smaller canals and 17th century houses are beautiful, the British drunks flown in from Manchester are not.

Only go during weekdays:

- De Dam: Also called Damsquare, this crowded square is home to the Royal Palace and the impressive Nieuwe Kerk (church). This is where Dutch monarchs abdicate and get sworn in. Never go here on a Saturday.

- Nieuwmarkt: Beautiful old castle-like structure dating back to the 16th century. Chinese neighbourhood around the corner. Great food. Best days are Tuesday and Wednesday.

And finally, some words of wisdom:

- The Dutch are very direct but mostly cordial. You’ll never hear someone say “No, so sorry we ran out of apple juice. But maybe try...” - we’ll just answer with a curt “No”. It’s a cultural thing, take no offence and enjoy the fact that you know exactly where you’re standing!

- We all speak fluent English, as we don’t overdub British/American movies. A couple of Dutch words will go a long way to charm a Dutchman!

- The country is called The Netherlands, and it’s a kingdom comprised of four countries, the other countries are islands situated in the Caribbean. Don’t call it Holland, we may get offended - even though you’ll find tour operators advertising our country as Holland.

- Self-confidence is something we take pride in, and the Dutch aren’t shy. Again, being direct is key - but direct does not equal rude.

- Amsterdam is a pretty safe city, observe the normal precautions you would follow in any city.

- The sidewalks are narrow, the bikes are coming from all directions and you may be surprised to suddenly find a tram breathing down your neck. Watch where you’re going!

- Amsterdam is an expensive city.

- Haarlem and Utrecht are only a 30 minute train ride away. Lovely cities for a day trip, both very Dutch and less hectic than Amsterdam.

Have fun!

by Anonymousreply 141September 28, 2019 8:06 AM

Oh, I forgot.. Dating!

- We are very openminded when it comes to sex without strings attached. Use common sense, play safe, avoid darkrooms. Just hook up through Grindr.

- The Dutch men are tall, 6.2 on average. We’re usually not too thicc or muscly.

- Yes, there is a good chance your Dutch date will be hung. And rarely cut, as circumcision is more and more (since the 1980’s) considered a violation of a child’s sovereignty.

- Going on a romantic date with a Dutchman means a lot of questions. It’s not an interrogation, he’s just trying to get to know you!

- Be prepared to split the bill. Indeed, to go Dutch. Even when you insist to pay for both, your dreamy Dutchie won’t go for it.

- Avoid having a strong opinion about our politics or the monarchy. Especially when you’re an American, this is a surefire way to disqualify yourself.

- Be prepared to talk about Trump. I know, it’s not fair that we get to talk about your politics, but.. 🤷🏼‍♂️

- Most men are not blond, it’s a mixed bag. Go to Sweden if blonds are a thing for you. Says the blond Dutchie!

- You’ll find an exotic mix of flavours in Amsterdam! From the Caribbean to Suriname, from Indonesia to Middle-Eastern, from African to Chinese. This applies to both the cuisines and Amsterdam’s inhabitants!

by Anonymousreply 142September 28, 2019 8:06 AM

R142 You are so freaking awesome for posting this!

by Anonymousreply 143September 28, 2019 8:10 AM

You are correct Mary r136.

The period 1988-2001 was truly the Golden Age in Amsterdam, we have so many wonderful memories of dear friends, generou$ gentlemen, good food, magnificent and massive uncut sizemeats, fun times at the Tubs, travel to other cities.countries from Central Statia, etc.

That is long gone and Amsterdam has been over for us for years now.

by Anonymousreply 144September 28, 2019 8:11 AM

Perhaps some of the uncontaminated (by mass tourism and political correctness, etc) areas of eastern europe need to be explored.

Turkey also.

by Anonymousreply 145September 28, 2019 8:38 AM

There are many more cities in the Netherlands to explore… that are not full of tourists.

by Anonymousreply 146September 28, 2019 9:03 AM

[quote]Avoid having a strong opinion about our politics or the monarchy. Especially when you’re an American, this is a surefire way to disqualify yourself.

I'm half Dutch and half American (and currently a resident of Ireland) and I disagree. Even if you're from the US, if you appear well-informed and reasonably educated and thoughtful, you can absolutely express criticism of the Dutch political class, especially if you actually live in the Netherlands and provided the Dutch person you're speaking to is comparatively open-minded, open to discussion and interested in intelligent opinion. There is plenty to condemn about the likes of Thierry Baudet and Geert Wilders and their ilk, after all. Are people that insecure in your experience that they can barely tolerate criticism?

by Anonymousreply 147September 28, 2019 12:01 PM

Different folks, different strokes R147. To be fair, it’s best to avoid talking about local politics in any country you visit.

by Anonymousreply 148September 28, 2019 12:11 PM

T’is wel een soort van sprookjesdorpje

by Anonymousreply 149September 28, 2019 12:15 PM

The volkoren bread from the Amsterdam bakeries, and from Albert Heihn and Dirk van de Broek, is the best in the world.

by Anonymousreply 150September 28, 2019 1:03 PM

How's it coming with the plan to get all those houseboats to finally stop discharging their sewage directly into the canals?

by Anonymousreply 151September 28, 2019 1:56 PM

Two additions to Dutchie´s [142] great list: - the area roughly between the Rozengracht, Lijnbaansgracht, Leidsestraat and Singel is filled with lots of interesting shops. Locally known as the ‘Negen Straatjes´; nine streets. - luxury shopping for the big spenders can be done in the P.C.Hooftstraat. Located near the Leidseplein, basically between the Rijksmuseum and the Vondelpark.

And though our city is overcrowded, some talk of a deluge of tourists; Dutch are friendly, and direct. The squeemish tend to interpret this as rude.

by Anonymousreply 152September 28, 2019 3:20 PM

Well done. r141 / R142. I would emphasize the Jordaan though. It’s the nicest area in Adam in my opinion and uniquely Dutch. Also convenient to walk to everything.

It’s interesting to see the gay bars sprout in Zeedijk. I love the Queens Head. I miss Cockring and Argos in OZ Voorburgwal- such great, uniquely Dutch places with atmosphere. Reguliersdwarstraat seems to be dying slowly. When Soho opened and April closed, it was never the same. At least the Otherside is still there. But still the gay center I guess.

by Anonymousreply 153September 28, 2019 3:51 PM

R144 Deary The Moselms there have extremely clean assholes. The Dutch not so much. They are fabulously hung though.

by Anonymousreply 154September 28, 2019 5:04 PM

It’s worth mentioning that, unlike our German and French brothers, we have nothing against showering at least once a day and wearing clean clothes finished off with a good spray of deodorant.

by Anonymousreply 155September 29, 2019 6:08 AM

That's not what we discovered to our horror one day in that darkroon above the pron shop at the Muntplein.

We were on our knees in happy anticipatia of swallowing a delicious load as the jeans were being opened and the large uncut Dutch sizemeat was released when, suddenly, we saw/smelled RIPE CHEESE and quickly fled!

by Anonymousreply 156September 29, 2019 8:07 AM

R147 so, would you say discussing American politics and Trump is fair game too?

by Anonymousreply 157September 29, 2019 12:47 PM

Erna, I am waiting for the day that you're actually funny. Just for once.

by Anonymousreply 158September 29, 2019 12:48 PM

Dutchie, I’ve been reluctant to try hutspot. Is it good?

by Anonymousreply 159September 29, 2019 12:50 PM

We were not trying to be funny, Miss Dutchie.

We were merely reporting an unfortunate experience.

by Anonymousreply 160September 29, 2019 1:23 PM

R159 — It's nothing special. Mashed potatoes, carrots and other vegetables, pork sausage. Perfect food for after a long walk on an autumn day. Hearty, filling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161September 29, 2019 2:17 PM

We recall many happy meals at Hap Hmm with our Amsterdam AA friends!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162September 29, 2019 2:26 PM

liar

by Anonymousreply 163September 29, 2019 2:43 PM

There is a talk cute Dutchie in the NY Times travel section today. His company makes all those great colorful signs we see at Airports.

by Anonymousreply 164September 29, 2019 3:17 PM

Tall^^

by Anonymousreply 165September 29, 2019 3:17 PM

[quote]You’ll find an exotic mix of flavours in Amsterdam! From the Caribbean to Suriname, from Indonesia to Middle-Eastern, from African to Chinese. This applies to both the cuisines and Amsterdam’s inhabitants!

Sounds banal.

I'll take one of the smaller cities. If I go to the Netherlands I'd prefer to enjoy Dutch culture.

by Anonymousreply 166September 29, 2019 3:29 PM

banal??

by Anonymousreply 167September 29, 2019 5:11 PM

“You’ll find an exotic mix of flavours in Amsterdam! From the Caribbean to Suriname, from Indonesia to Middle-Eastern, from African to Chinese. This applies to both the cuisines and Amsterdam’s inhabitants!”

This IS Dutch culture, [166]. And if you can’t stomach that, or condescendingly find that banal, we’d rather you stayed away.

by Anonymousreply 168September 29, 2019 5:25 PM

I bet R166 is a Brit who hasn't had his first pint of the day.

by Anonymousreply 169September 29, 2019 5:51 PM

[quote]This IS Dutch culture, [166]. And if you can’t stomach that, or condescendingly find that banal, we’d rather you stayed away.

Multicultural hodge-podges are all over the place. Distinct Dutch culture isn't.

[quote] Haarlem and Utrecht are only a 30 minute train ride away. Lovely cities for a day trip, both very Dutch

I'll take "very Dutch"

by Anonymousreply 170September 29, 2019 6:09 PM

[quote]I still like it but prefer the smaller towns for a real Dutch vibe.

What do you mean by "a real Dutch vibe" ? "

by Anonymousreply 171September 29, 2019 6:12 PM

He must mean actual Dutch people.

by Anonymousreply 172September 29, 2019 6:54 PM

Dutchie, is there anywhere besides Drake’s (video parlor) and NZ (sauna) where one can partake in some freewheeling homosex?

by Anonymousreply 173September 29, 2019 6:55 PM

Lots of whores - and horses

by Anonymousreply 174September 29, 2019 7:28 PM

[quote]He must mean actual Dutch people.

Exactly.

It's no different than what I wrote at R166

by Anonymousreply 175September 29, 2019 7:35 PM

R173 - the Web and Cuckoos Nest are fun, if less busy than they used to be. Amsterdam used to have the best backrooms in the world in the 90s. Now it’s Berlin.

by Anonymousreply 176September 29, 2019 7:50 PM

The women in Amsterdam have bigger feet than I do, and I’m a men’s size 12 US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177September 29, 2019 7:55 PM

In my day everyone was in business, including me: The making of pictures from prophets and profits from pictures, you might say. I trained many artists in my studios. I even once had a small monkey named Franz who I taught to paint a bit. Was this what angered God so?

by Anonymousreply 178September 29, 2019 8:22 PM

What's the pollution situation like? There's an assumption that the air and water in the Netherlands are cleaner than in the US. Is it true?

by Anonymousreply 179September 29, 2019 8:47 PM

This guy thinks doing a few sentences means speaking a languages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180September 29, 2019 10:24 PM

R173: You could try ‘Church’, a nice little bar with a darkroom in the upper floor. I used to hang out there, but never visited the darkroom (not my cup of tea).

R179: Not much pollution, but bear in mind it’s still a city. Nowhere near the levels of pollution one encounters in London and Paris.

by Anonymousreply 181September 30, 2019 6:12 AM

We have enjoyed more and better quality 9 inch plus uncut sizemeat in Paris than in Amsterdam!

by Anonymousreply 182September 30, 2019 7:24 AM

I’ve never had good sex in Paris. Amsterdam always. I stay in Amsterdam and take a quick train ride to Paris for a night or two to see some pretty stuff. But no desire to spend time there - horrible nightlife and a hassle of a city.

by Anonymousreply 183September 30, 2019 3:02 PM

Are the Dutch all giants, and champion speed skaters and tulip growers?

by Anonymousreply 184September 30, 2019 3:12 PM

Yes and they all wear wooden shoes and put their fingers in dykes -- even the gay ones!

by Anonymousreply 185September 30, 2019 3:13 PM

I like the Amsterdam Dutch and the Rotterdam Dutch and all the other damn Dutch.

by Anonymousreply 186September 30, 2019 3:23 PM

Rotterdam is turning into the third world.

by Anonymousreply 187September 30, 2019 3:40 PM

My neighbors from the Netherlands once gave me some Double Zout, a salty licorice "candy." Don't ever put it in your mouth; it is awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188September 30, 2019 4:12 PM

Has anyone been to Keukenhof Park?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189September 30, 2019 4:28 PM

I love the apfelbollen in Den Haag. That isn’t a double entendre.

by Anonymousreply 190September 30, 2019 4:52 PM

R189: It was a pristine experience up until 10 years ago. And then it got published in a Japanese newspaper...

by Anonymousreply 191September 30, 2019 6:23 PM

So besides the (apparently close to extinct) tall, average looking, but hung natives—-no other redeeming factor to Amsterdam.

The Loud Brit trash on Holiday and Muzzies can have it.

Some of you all are aging yourself in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 192September 30, 2019 9:24 PM

R189, I went last year. It was a beautiful day. And it was the scene of the only unpleasant situation I’ve ever had with somebody-it was a French cunt who tried to jump the line for the bus from the train station.

by Anonymousreply 193September 30, 2019 9:31 PM

Hah, of course I need to clarify it was the only unpleasant situation I’ve had while in the Netherlands. And that was my third visit.

by Anonymousreply 194September 30, 2019 9:32 PM

Just go to Barcelona.

The locals are just as nasty and unwelcoming of tourists but at least the weather and city are more attractive.

Not to mention lots of horny tourists looking to indulge so the cunty locals are at least used to fly by night slutty adventures.

by Anonymousreply 195September 30, 2019 9:35 PM

I'm going there this week for 4 nights. I've never been there before. I figured I'd just take the hop on hop off bus but I am not sure where they match up to other people's suggestions. I mapped a few of those locations out, roughly, but I'll probably just figure it out when I am there. A lot of people in this thread seem to have negative opinions on Amsterdam & I wonder ifI am spending way too much on a hotel for a city that seems to be described as average here. The hotels were universally very expensive - basically London prices.

Here are some things I picked to do, having no clue about the city at all but knowing I like food tours and was curious about the red light district (and have done a lot of sandemans tours)...and reading the reviews online. I'm going to a few other cities in Europe after this... but this one is more expensive than most of the others as far as hotels go.

- Taste of Amsterdam at Twilight - Meeting location: At the corner of Ten Katestraat and Jan Hanzenstraat (not sure what neighborhood this is...Dutchie?)

- Sandemans Red Light District Tour - 2 hrs. Meets @ National Monument on the Dam Square

- Tour to Zaanse Schans, Edam, Volendam and Marken (outside Amsterdam - full day)

- Van Gogh Museum Ticket (was advised to buy in advance)

The hop on hop off bus is actually a boat... and I guess I'll just take one trip through it all and go back for whatever looked interesting. Nothing really seems "central" there. When I asked my hotel about going to different places, they answer "it's just a short 30 minute walk" and the hotel is in Utrechtsestraat.

by Anonymousreply 196October 15, 2019 11:22 PM

Last time I was there was over 20 years ago. I found it a gloomy bore. Hopefully Amsterdam has gotten more interesting

by Anonymousreply 197October 15, 2019 11:43 PM

The sandeman's tour is fab! Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 198October 15, 2019 11:54 PM

Ah r196, it's too bad you're not going in November, when they have their Festival of Lights- we took a canal dinner tour and it was really fabulous:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199October 16, 2019 3:10 PM

Don’t believe the negative Nellys. Amsterdam is a fabulous unique city. I much prefer it to London.

Personally I find tours to be annoying. Amsterdam is a small city that is fun to just walk around. Just follow some of the main canals - Keizersgracht, Herengracht, Prinsengracht - which will take you around city. You are The best neighborhood to stroll is the Jordaan - basically between the Heren and Prinsen with some additional streets west (?) of Prinsen like Lauriergracht and Bloemengracht.

You are kind of on the eastern edge of the core city - not horrible and you can walk to the Reguliersdwrtstaat which is the gay strip. Though some gay bars have sprouted elsewhere like Queens Head - nice bar close to the Central Station with a little nook overlooking the canal. The Web and Cuckoos Nest are in a different location and are the sex cruise bars.

Not sure I would spend your limited time outside the center. It’s much less interesting architecturally - postwar, few canals. If anything, a quick day trip to another city like Utrecht or Delft is very easy. Transportation is great, trams all end up at Central Station and juts hop a train to another town.

Maybe a little damp and cold - but a great time to avoid the tourist insanity of prime season.

by Anonymousreply 200October 16, 2019 4:28 PM

Thanks R200. I have liked it here so far. Not to sound like a frau, but it's a very charming city (appearance wise). The way that it's built with all the row houses and canals is something you don't really see anywhere else. It's nice at night too. It's only day 1 & I had good weather - so we'll see if the honeymoon phase wears off.

The negatives so far are things that many European cities tend to do... $4 for a tiny tiny glass of water at a restaurant, of course not told to you before you order it (and meanwhile the entree is like $15 - but they get you on the water). I did a tour on a boat that was boasting all these "authentic Dutch" foods - and it was cheese & crackers that was less appetizing than what Whole Foods used to put out on Sundays. We each had 2 krentenbollen - so I guess that's why they're charging $60.

I agree with the comments about the bikes - they are everywhere and more obtrusive than Copenhagen. They come up on you like a swarm of flies. It's kind of hard to realize you're in a bike lane every time...they are everywhere. You can cross the street from a normal sidewalk into a bike lane, for example. I see what the posters are talking about. I just have to get used to it.

I can't decide if I want to see the Anne Frank house or not - I saw it from the outside on the canal tour. It's not available other than same-day now. It's gonna rain tomorrow so I don't know what I'm doing during the day now.

by Anonymousreply 201October 17, 2019 8:28 PM

Have fun, R201. See my post at R142 if you want some fresh ideas.

by Anonymousreply 202October 17, 2019 9:10 PM

Anne Frank house is overrated and crowded. Go to a museum.

The bikes - and trams - are an issue. A little chaotic. It would be lawsuit heaven in the US. Just have to always be alert - especially if stoned or drunk. Part of the excitement of the city. And the side streets aren’t as bad - like in the Jordaan.

Dutch food is a waste. Amsterdam has great Indian, Indonesian, Argentinian, Asian food. In 30 years of going, I’ve stopped eating “Dutch” food - except fries with mayo after a night out. And maybe a stroopwafel with coffee.

by Anonymousreply 203October 18, 2019 1:46 AM

FYI - Bikes have the right of way in Amsterdam legally. If a bike hits you, he gets to sue you if his bike gets scratched.

by Anonymousreply 204October 18, 2019 1:50 AM

[quote]Anne Frank house is overrated

This is one of the dumbest things I have ever read, on DL or elsewhere. The Anne Frank House serves as a constant reminder that we must learn from the past and of the tragedy of war; why we must not forget. It is not there for your entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 205October 18, 2019 8:40 AM

My hotel was able to get me Anne Frank tickets for 1:30 specifically & so I had to plan my day around that to some extent. It was a well designed museum (after over the years) - except a couple glitches with the audio device. They gave just the right amount of info & in the right places - spaced out well & somehow managed to get thousands of people through. The house gets VERY crowded, even though they do try to streamline the people into a semi-queue type of thing...reminded me of the crown jewel cattle herding into a line. The house made me kind of claustrophobic with the small size and 15+ people in each room. I didn't realize it was impossible to get tickets if you don't do it months in advance or same-day only.

The red light tour was not bad...very crowded in there & they are banning tours soon cuz the locals can't stand them. Really nice guide though. I'm curious about Albert Cuypmarkt or Foodhallen maybe tomorrow.

I tried to be one of those people who could just wander around the 9 streets or Jordaan - they are very scenic & I did walk through them for a while, but I seem to be getting lost a lot here.

by Anonymousreply 206October 18, 2019 6:39 PM

Albert Cuyp Market and the Foodhallen are fabulous. At the Albert Cuyp Market please blow a kiss to the stroopwaffel stand guy for me, please?

by Anonymousreply 207October 19, 2019 12:10 PM

One of my favorite cities, scenic, walkable and friendly, I also love Barcelona for the same reasons.

by Anonymousreply 208October 19, 2019 12:17 PM

Footage of Amsterdam in 1983.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209October 19, 2019 8:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!