Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lovey Dovey Dog

My best friend died today and I've inherited his dog. She's known me for a long time and seems happy to be with me. I loved my friend and will do my best to be deserving of such a precious gift.

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2019 7:43 PM

Is it a shelter dog?

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2019 4:54 AM

He's very lucky to have you. It's going to take some adapting, but you should be able to look our for each other.

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2019 4:57 AM

That's great, OP. I have a friend who adopted the dog of a friend who died suddenly. They are very happy together.

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2019 4:58 AM

Condolences, OP. You're doing a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2019 5:01 AM

Condolences, OP.

What a friend to care for your friend's dog.

I similarly inherited a dog, and subsequently became exceedingly close to him. For 5 years I cared for him and found his passing late last year devastating.

Truly I became incredibly close to the dog. And he had a transformative impact on my life. I miss him very much.

I wish you both all the best together.

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2019 5:07 AM

Good for you, OP, for thinking of your friend's dog as a precious gift; I'm sure you will find great comfort in taking care of each other.

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2019 5:11 AM

You're a good person, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2019 5:16 AM

Pics?

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2019 5:34 AM

I'm sorry, OP. God bless you and the dog.

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2019 5:34 AM

I took in my best friend's dog after my friend unexpectedly died. I already had two dogs, so taking in a third was not something I wanted. But this dog has turned out to be such a sweet, loyal companion. He follows me everywhere and lays at my feet even when I'm on the toilet. The other two don't even bother. Needless to say, he's become my favorite pet. šŸ¶ā¤

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2019 5:43 AM

What a great comfort it must have been to know this dog would have care beyond your friendā€™s life. Also, passing the pet on to you says much about the quality of your friendship and your trustworthiness and compassion. Thatā€™s very moving.

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2019 6:49 AM

Wishing you the most rare gift, OP: the sincere DL hug.

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2019 7:04 AM

It's a doggie dog world.

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2019 7:07 AM

I'm sorry you lost your friend OP. This made me think of a friend of mine who made it her mission to get the pets adopted of guys who perished during the plague years in NY. There were so many to be adopted and she was such a special person!

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2019 7:15 AM

Condolences to the two of you on the loss of your mutual best friend. May you enjoy many healthy and happy years together.

by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2019 7:18 AM

I hope you two can be a comfort to each other during your grief, and wishing you all the best. You're both lucky to have one another.

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2019 7:28 AM

OP, if you can, take some things from your friend's house, like his pillow or blanket. The dog is grieving too, more so because his entire world has changed. Having something with your friend's scent on it will be comforting to him.

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2019 3:04 PM

Ohhhh...r17, you are so good. Almost as good as OP.

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2019 4:46 PM

I am very sorry about your friend OP. Death of loved ones is always devastating.I hope you are able to cope well. I agree with R17 ...take a couple of your friend's things for the dog. Take care.

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2019 5:10 PM

This post actually made me tear up.

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2019 5:17 PM

Itā€™s so sad when families take their dead relativeā€™s pets to the pound. Itā€™s a common occurrence. Proud of you, OP!

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2019 7:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!