Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Team Are You On: Pre-Shredded or Freshly Grated Cheese?

Does it really matter taste wise? I’d love to know your opinion. I say freshly grated, my husband loves the pre-shredded lazy man’s cheese. I think pre-shredded is disgusting and leaves a coating on my tongue.

I’m interested in your opinion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 21, 2019 12:36 AM

I really don't have a preference, but I voted for pre-shredded because the OP sounds like an uptight cunt and I feel sorry for his husband.

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2019 4:38 AM

R1 lmao, I will forward your message to him.

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2019 4:39 AM

Fun fact: Pre-shredded cheese contains stabilizers to prevent clumping. These stabilizers also prevent the cheese from melting properly.

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2019 4:44 AM

My aunt used to buy blocks of cheese with that waxy coating covering them, well she would grate the cheese along with the waxy coating.

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2019 4:45 AM

Freshly shredded is better, and cheaper. A block of cheese lasts a lot longer.

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2019 4:51 AM

Hard cheeses fresh, medium to softish pre-shredded. I hate unclumping the grater.

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2019 4:51 AM

I'll eat either, I love cheese. I've been buying this recently, Tillamook Extra Sharp Farmhouse Thick Cut cheese. It's delicious and I like the thick cut. I make sour dough bread toast and sprinkle it on and melt it a bit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2019 5:01 AM

I have heard you can use a knife to cut cheese into whatever size you'd like. But then again this might just be a rumor.

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2019 5:16 AM

I’ve never noticed a taste difference. I don’t like pre-shredded because it’s more expensive and because, when it gets moldy, you have to throw all of it out, compared to whole cheese where you can cut the mold off and the rest of it’s fine to eat.

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2019 5:18 AM

R4 oh, that’s just disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2019 5:43 AM

I bought a Groovetech knife for cutting onions and potatoes. Turns out, it works really well on cheeses (cheese falls off sides of the knife rather than adhering to the sides). I don't really like the knife for onions, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2019 5:49 AM

R11 I am a kitchen gadget junkie. I have to have that knife.

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2019 5:51 AM

Freshly grated tastes better but usually I am in a hurry so just use pre shredded

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2019 6:05 AM

R12, be aware that the knife is heavy, relatively. But I think you will like it for slicing cheeses.

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2019 6:07 AM

Commercial Shredded has sawdust

by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2019 7:22 AM

I don't mind pre-shredded unless it's Parmesan. You gotta get the chunks of that.

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2019 2:36 PM

I don’t understand the appeal of pre-shredded cheese. Is it that hard to take 2 minutes to shred your own?

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2019 2:41 PM

Yes, R17, it's very, very hard.

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2019 3:10 PM

Please don't cut the cheese!

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2019 3:52 PM

Shredded cheese has ghastly additions, like natamycin: an anti-fungal otherwise used to treat fungal problems around the eye. You want that (and cornstarch) on your cheese

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2019 4:01 PM

Another vote for Tillamook ! It's expensive, but now I can't eat the other stuff

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2019 4:06 PM

Dairy free from follow your heart.

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2019 4:59 PM

[quote]be aware that the knife is heavy, relatively.

The heavier the knife, the less energy required to cut through an object.

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2019 5:10 PM

Fresh. The least amount of time my food spends on greasy rat infested machines, the better i feel about eating it.

by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2019 5:16 PM

Usually freshly grated but I make cheesepuffs around the holidays and need at least 4 cups of grated cheddar so buy it pre-shredded. My supermarket sells parmesan grated and shaved so I buy that as well.

by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2019 5:20 PM

Cheese is easy to shred with a food processor.

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2019 5:29 PM

R19 I used to do this joke with my ex-partners kids. Said with a straight face "Would you like me to cut the cheese?" Of course followed by their chorus's of giggles. I'd keep up the confused act until they were rolling on the floor. Partner-- not amused.

by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2019 10:12 PM

Read the ingredients in shredded cheese sometime, OP. One of them is natamycin, an anti-fungal agent. Do you really want to ingest that shit?

by Anonymousreply 28September 20, 2019 10:33 PM

R28 fuck no! I knew the pre-shredded cheese was nasty.

by Anonymousreply 29September 20, 2019 10:35 PM

Ah, that's too bad R27 - fart humor never goes out of style! (and making kids laugh over some silly thing is the best!)

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2019 10:49 PM

A recipe I have for cheese... well, they're not really crackers or biscuits, but they're delicious -- calls for shredded cheddar. Once I made them with pre-shredded cheese, and they came out all wrong, largely due I know now to the additives mentioned above. So for me, always shred your own. Who knows what's in that pre-shredded stuff?

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2019 10:56 PM

ALWAYS read the labels before you buy or eat anything. You won’t believe what’s in some of this processed shit people eat every day.

by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2019 10:59 PM

R32 sometimes I just say, “Fuck it!” and drop it in my cart.

by Anonymousreply 33September 21, 2019 12:34 AM

Don't EVER buy the pre-shredded cheese. It is shredded and then sprayed with a coating that is similar to Teflon to keep it from clumping up. And that's why it won't melt in the oven like regular cheese.

by Anonymousreply 34September 21, 2019 12:35 AM

R34 I knew it was bad... looks like my team is winning.

by Anonymousreply 35September 21, 2019 12:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!