Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"He's a queer." Just shows you how people talked back in 1969 - even people considered to be hip like, John & Yoko.

I've circled the evidence...see link.

This is not an attack on John & Yoko - I just thought it was interesting when I read it in an archive dedicated to a pop music journal.

High profile celebs like them would never say this in an interview today. So that's something good.

I guess it reminds me of growing up in England, always seeing and hearing casual homophobia like this. It was just part of the way people spoke and thought. Even "sophisticated" "hip" people like John & Yoko.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2019 6:11 AM

That's just the vocabulary that was used at the time by straight people, he didn't necessarily mean it in a homophobic way.

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2019 3:41 AM

He sort of did, because he's sneering. Did you even look at the link?

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2019 3:43 AM

Okay?

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2019 3:44 AM

You’re correct that high profile celebrities would not say that in an interview today. That is just because of conditioning. Many say that and much worse when they amongst friends and family. What is that saying, the more forbidden the fruit, the sweeter the juice.

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2019 3:48 AM

& he's showing off, thinks he's being funny.

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2019 3:52 AM

Overrated homophobic. Cunts. They were never as talented as the queer king of rock Freddie mercury.

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2019 3:54 AM

By his own admission Lennon spent much of his life harboring misogynist, racist and homophobic attitudes. He especially loved to mock the disabled - verbally and in cartoons. He admitted to having been violent with women. From what I have read he really did seem to have started changing his ways in the last few years of his life. But I'll never be able to think of him as the saint so many people now regard him as being

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2019 4:07 AM

*They’s a Queer.

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2019 4:35 AM

Nothing wrong with queer now. It's been reclaimed and empowered as the preferred term by intelligent educated people.

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2019 4:59 AM

MacCartney said recently that he and Lennon jerked off together back in the early days before they could 'pull in the birds'.

Lennon was handled carefully by Brian Epstein.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2019 6:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!