Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Multiple people shot in D.C. not far from White House

Sept 19 (Reuters) - Gunfire erupted on the streets of Washington, D.C., on Thursday night, not far from the White House, and at least several people suffered gunshot wounds, local media reported. Local TV station FOX-5 reported, citing police, that six people were shot in the incident, shortly after 10 p.m. eastern time.

Reuters could not immediately reach police or fire officials to confirm that report. There was no word on the condition of the victims. ABC affiliate WJLA-TV posted images on Twitter of ambulances carrying victims from the scene and said that there had been a "massive" police response at the intersection of 14th Street and Columbia road, about two miles (three km) from the White House. (Reporting by Dan Whitcomb; Editing by Muralikumar Anantharaman, Christian Schmollinger and Lincoln Feast)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 23, 2019 3:09 AM

"Not far" as in a mile away, but other than that.

It's actually closer to the U Street Entertainment Corridor and nowhere near the White House.

Mr. Map is not our friend, yet again. Yes, I used to live two blocks from there at 16th & Columbia.

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2019 3:46 AM

It’s not “far” from the White House, but no one in DC considers it close. It’s not in the White House area

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2019 3:50 AM

Police confirmed six individuals sustained gunshot wounds.

The victims include five adult males and one adult female. An adult male was pronounced dead at the scene.

As of midnight Thursday, it's not clear if a suspect has been taken into custody.

Police say that the incident is not considered an 'active shooter' situation.

Section 8 apartment area ?

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2019 4:54 AM

Jesus. I hate people who don’t know anything about DC. This is nowhere near the White House. It’s Columbia Heights. I hate to say it but as much is that areas gentrified and way overpriced there are pockets that are still super busted.

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2019 5:03 AM

Hood rats.

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2019 5:05 AM

Melanoma and her boyfriends?

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2019 5:09 AM

Columbia Frights

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2019 5:09 AM

Too bad all of them didn't die.

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2019 5:30 AM

Is 45 a suspect?

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2019 5:32 AM

Shit, they missed their target. Plan better nest time.

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2019 5:33 AM

DC is a very dangerous place to live or visit.

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2019 5:36 AM

Reminds me of a local university that butts up against a ghetto. The news loves to blare BREAKING when something happens in the poor neighborhoods and call it "Campus area".

After 5 stories, you finally discover they are non-white, non-students and 5 blocks from where a student would want to live.

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2019 5:38 AM

Are non-white and students mutually exclusive, bitch at R12?

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2019 5:56 AM

Who got shot? Is it that mole we had to pull out of Russia so the Dumpster Fire wouldn't sell him out to Putin?

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2019 6:29 AM

R12, you are a mess

by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2019 11:01 AM

R11 Oh, you fat-typing tourist.

DC doesn't even make the top 25 list anymore. You can drag your maiden aunts down the street and they'll barely get a rude remark.

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2019 2:00 PM

Ha ha stupid libs ! They couldn't defend themselves cuz' they didn't have guns ! Idiots !

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2019 2:08 PM

Ha ha stupid libs ! They couldn't defend themselves cuz' they didn't have guns ! Idiots !

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2019 2:08 PM

Seems the media is trying to balance out the Lone White Male Mass Shooter stories lately, by reporting on more hood rat vendetta shootings.

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2019 2:47 PM

DC is small only like 69 square miles, so nothing in it is far from something else.

BTW just yesterday, eleven people were shot Wednesday in Chicago, including three who were killed outside a Garfield Park store on the West Side

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2019 2:50 PM

R20 Let's simplify that: it's mostly 5 miles on each side, and if you include the City of Alexandria back in as it originally was, then you have a lovely square 5 miles by 5 miles as originally intended.

That puts this "nearby shooting" approximately half the distance of the District away from the White House. Ergo, nowhere near.

Chicago? That's flyoverstan. It's nowhere NEAR Trumpy.

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2019 3:15 PM

Shooting happened in the courtyard of a privately owned subsidized complex in a very crowded and partly gentrified neighborhood. It is a block over from the subway stop. Crew is DC speak for locally based gangs, closing down some public housing seems to have moved people into proximity and created conflict. Crime in the immediate area is up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2019 8:49 PM

Too bad a visitor was empowered to an early grave. Maybe they should up security?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 21, 2019 8:53 PM

It's too bad it wasn't at . . . . . .

by Anonymousreply 24September 21, 2019 9:45 PM

whenever you see the word " empowering " or"empowerment " in reference to helping lower classes you can be sure the program is being administered by people seeking money and will cost taxpayers millions while not lifting a single disadvantaged person out of poverty.

by Anonymousreply 25September 21, 2019 10:51 PM

DC is a weird city, and Columbia Heights is a great example why. One block you're walking past 2-bedroom condos on the market for $750 grand, and the next block over you'll have bullets whizzing past your head.

by Anonymousreply 26September 21, 2019 11:05 PM

R26 lol exactly politico vocal fry next to ghetto

by Anonymousreply 27September 21, 2019 11:13 PM

R26 You had me at “DC is a weird city”.

40 years ago, that was a shithole neighborhood. Nobody walked there. We looked at condos in our neighborhood in Adams-Morgan before deciding to move out of DC. No more barrachos on the street, homeless people having sex in street courtyard across the street and the constant drug dealer traffic.

I wish I had stayed: I love how much the city has improved.

by Anonymousreply 28September 21, 2019 11:13 PM

Likely a bunch of black people.

Sadly, no one gives a shit

by Anonymousreply 29September 21, 2019 11:18 PM

Shoo dey dont care bout da bruthas in dc.. its all about politico jew vocal fry do gooders

by Anonymousreply 30September 21, 2019 11:25 PM

Multiple shootings are becoming a gang thing now at parties. Doesn’t matter what kind of party. - Sweet 16, a christening, grandma’s birthday. Shooter hits 5 or 6 people, usually 1 dies. Don’t know why this has started, but it’s becoming a weekly thing all over the country.

by Anonymousreply 31September 21, 2019 11:26 PM

gunman fired into group that included members of a neighborhood criminal crew

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 21, 2019 11:33 PM

R26, not sure how weird that is. The proximity of high-priced homes and condos to dodgy housing projects is a feature of many, if not most, big cities in the US, particularly cities that have been undergoing relentless gentrification. It’s not to say that all public housing projects are hotbeds of crime, because they’re not. But I think it’s fair to say that no one with the financial wherewithal to live elsewhere chooses to live in one.

by Anonymousreply 33September 21, 2019 11:33 PM

“DC is a very dangerous place to live or visit.”

I lived for six years a few blocks from there just below Meridian Hill/Malcolm X Park. Now I live about a mile from there in Kalorama (a very nice neighborhood). I walk downtown to work and back every day and I’ve never been involved in or seen any kind of violent altercation in a decade. “Bullets whizzing by your head” is a crazy exaggeration.

by Anonymousreply 34September 21, 2019 11:47 PM

Not an exaggeration re: the 1300 block of Columbia Road, esp this year, R34. Open drug dealing around the metro a block away. Columbia Heights is sliding back. Kalroama is hardly an apt comparison to the area immediately around Columbia Heights Village. The nearby elementary school was put on lockdown several times in the spring due to gunfire.

People advocate razing public housing and dispersing residents but several reports said this mixing of crews from different neighborhoods at CHV was a cause of the incident on Thursday night. See quote at link or the statement by the police chief in the WaPo that someone linked.

Bet a developer would love to get their hands on that property tho.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 22, 2019 12:17 AM

This was one of the incidents where the elementary school was placed on lockdown. The shooter was 15.

All those kids have a different experience of DC than living in Kalorama, just a short walk away. Sad.

Columbia Heights has gentrified and many that paid exhorbitant prices for old housing stock seemed to think that entrenched crime patterns would magically vanish. Retaliation for Thursday night is likely...and so the cycle goes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 22, 2019 12:21 AM

[quote]DC is a very dangerous place to live or visit.

Pssh...tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 37September 22, 2019 2:14 AM

No shit!

by Anonymousreply 38September 23, 2019 3:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!