Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's SQUASH season!

Omg I absolutely love squash of all kinds. Pumpkins, too!

My very favorite is butternut squash soup, perfect for a chilly day.

Share your favorite dishes and recipes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 21, 2019 8:40 PM

I grew them in my garden this year. I’ll have a big supply all winter, lots to experiment with.

I usually use my spiralizer to make a low carb alternative to pasta.

Jealous, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2019 2:59 AM

What kind of squash do you grow, R1?

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2019 3:00 AM

Spaghetti, Butternut, and Kobacha.

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2019 3:04 AM

Delish, R3!

I love spaghetti squash as a side dish, and kabocha pumpkins are so nice and sweet. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2019 3:07 AM

Hubbard squash. Pretty and tasty.

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2019 3:16 AM

Winona and Roberto sitting in a cab...

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2019 3:17 AM

J'adore butternut squash soup. I sort of make up a recipe based on what's around, but I start with some kind of onion (regular, leek, shallot), garlic, maybe carrots if I have any. I use pumpkin pie spice and cayenne or red chile powder and make sure to let them activate in the oil a bit. Then just chicken broth and an immersion blender. It freezes really well, too. I've tried it with apple, but it didn't do much for me. Sometimes I bake/roast the squash first, sometimes I peel it and use it raw. You can also start with pre-cut squash from the store, but it's pricier. However, peeling and hacking the squash can be a challenge.

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2019 3:21 AM

I'm a simple person, so most of my recipes are simple. I enjoy an acorn squash, cut in half, and baked with butter and cinnamon. I don't add any sweetener until I've had a bite or two. Most of the time, I can skip it, but a little maple syrup or brown sugar are always nice. The seeds of any squash can be roasted and salted, and eaten (as pepitas). They're even good for your prostate. I like chunks of butternut squash in mixed vegetable curries.

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2019 3:38 AM

Mmm, baked acorn squash

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2019 3:50 AM

Roasted acorn squash soup with fresh thyme and crème fraîche. Especially good alongside risotto cakes over mixed greens. Thanks for the reminder, OP!

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2019 4:41 AM

What are you supposed to do with the wooden rosemary stalk in OP? why not sprinkle just the leaves or do people mostly throw the whole thing out

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2019 5:03 AM

I plan to make this Ina Garten recipe for maple roasted acorn squash this Fall/Winter. It's super simple.

Can you eat the green skin of an acorn squash?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2019 5:11 AM

I love pumpkin soup with chunks of munster cheese and fried sage leaves.

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2019 5:20 AM

the skin is bitter and tough R12

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2019 5:25 AM

I think the twig is just for decoration, R11. Even though that's a culinary no-no.

by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2019 6:21 AM

I'd like to eat these squash lovers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2019 1:33 PM

Any good recipes for spaghetti squash?

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2019 1:38 PM

Growing up in New England I used to love squash season - locally grown acorn squash was my favorite. Those long, gentle New England summers created richly flavorful produce.

Now I live in the Deep South, and all the squash in the grocery stores here is imported from Mexico. These squash probably took about 10 days to grow in the hot, bright sun and they taste like it. Watery. It’s really disappointing!

I’m considering buying some frozen squash to get around the problem. Maybe that will help.

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2019 1:43 PM

I wouldn't count on it, r18.

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2019 1:49 PM

Do you not have farmers markets, r18?

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2019 1:55 PM

I would, r19, Pict Sweet Haricot Vert are AWESOME and hard to tell from the real thing.

Boil for a few minutes, drain, serve. NOT soggy or chewy like the cut pieces or “French cut” types.

Frozen squash can be good. You have to try different brands. I’ve also found that fresh squash tastes better after being (cold) stored, such as in a root cellar. The starches convert to sugar like with potatoes/bananas, or something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2019 10:58 PM

I live in Gerogia and the local farmers here grow yellow summer squash, but not acorn.

We're driving into the North Georgia mountains tomorrow so I will keep an eye out for farm stands. Maybe they grow winter squash up there. (In rural Georgia the more spelling and grammatical errors that there are on a handwritten roadside sign, the better the quality produce.)

by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2019 8:02 PM

[quote] In rural Georgia the more spelling and grammatical errors that there are on a handwritten roadside sign, the better the quality produce

Rofl.

Was this from a scientific study?

by Anonymousreply 23September 21, 2019 8:08 PM

I guess be on the lookout for signs reading, "Egkern Skwash", r22.

by Anonymousreply 24September 21, 2019 8:10 PM

[quote] be on the lookout for signs reading, "Egkern Skwash"

rU iLitret, R24??

u sPel it Egkern Skwarsh!

by Anonymousreply 25September 21, 2019 8:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!