Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Ad Astra” is the most bizarre film I’ve seen, with the most beautiful visuals and cinematography

This film is going to get a lot of Tech Oscar noms. The visuals are OUTSTANDING and the cinematography some of the most Beautiful I’ve ever seen on film. The usage of dark lighting and colors etc. very beautiful.

The entire story is about an Astronaut that finds out his father, who has been missing for 30 years, may still be alive by Neptune. The movie is him taking a mission into space to find him after not being in space for a while after his fall into earth (shown at the beginning of the film).

Brad Pitts acting is SUPERB. He’s someone who has never used his eyes much when acting but you could see every emotion in his eyes for this movie. You could see the hurt, and pain, and longing in his eyes. He was just so damn good!!!

The supporting cast is almost non existent. Ruth Negga is fantastic in her brief scenes, as is Tommy Lee Jones and Donald Sutherland. Each actor has about 5-10 minutes of screen time. Liv Tyler barely has 2. You see her in clips as he thinks of her in flashbacks with his voiceover, and she sends him 2 fast video messages, but that’s about it. This is Brads film, and they aren’t hesitant to let us know that.

It’s a slow burn film, with many quiet moments. There are scenes where there’s almost no dialogue.

Pitt looks gorgeous throughout this film. Just wow. There are scenes near the end where his face looks so sad but yet so pure and beautiful.

The film itself is bizarre with odd choices. I don’t wanna spoil but... it’s weird at times. Yet interesting and beautiful. Very melancholic but atmospheric also.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111December 28, 2019 4:01 AM

PS its worth a watch, it for nothing more, for Pitts performance and the visuals

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2019 2:40 AM

I don't give a shit about Pitt's performance, I just want to see that glorious shot of Neptune from the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2019 3:02 AM

Is there any nudity??

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2019 3:06 AM

I rather liked Interstellar, is this better?

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2019 3:08 AM

R4 I like Interstellar also. That one is more fun. This one is a lot slower.

This one is better in terms of visuals and cinematography though.

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2019 3:11 AM

wow, sounds very interesting.

I'm looking forward to it.

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2019 3:13 AM

The scene on the moon with the enemies shooting at them was so strange.

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2019 3:32 AM

I really think Brad is going to get nominated twice this year.

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2019 3:35 AM

^ Nah

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2019 3:38 AM

But some critics are out to get him in this film-

[quote] It doesn't help that Pitt... is at his most blank and monotonous here, delivering his least effective performance since Louis the reluctant bloodsucker in Interview with the Vampire.

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2019 3:38 AM

Ed Asner is a great film.

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2019 3:39 AM

R10 he’s not monotone though, he does speak very softly and like someone speaking because he has to and not because he wants to, as he’s silent otherwise. He doesn’t seem to speak. Almost like a tortured soul.

It’s intentional.

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2019 3:44 AM

R11 = Larry King

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2019 4:09 AM

So what happens OP? Spill the beans!

We want SPOLIERS!!!!

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2019 4:35 AM

Space is often thought of as death in human minds. The great unknown type of thing, I'm guessing. Brad Pitt as an actor has never offended me, in fact, seems like a pretty good guy.

Space in human minds like death is the great unknown. This movie doesn't seem heavy enough for me but I always enjoy Brad Pitt. May give it a go.

by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2019 4:36 AM

Wow, time for bed.

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2019 4:37 AM

I heard Ruth Negga attempts to steal scenes, but Brad was like "Negga please".

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2019 4:40 AM

Space Rimming

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2019 11:32 AM

Dawson’s 50 Workload Weekend on the Dark Side of the Moon

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2019 11:38 AM

R17 she’s great in her few scenes. Her character has only visited earth once, as she was conceived and born in space and lived her life in space. She actually comes off a bit alien like, although human, but someone who isn’t familiar with Earth itself.

She ends up helping him get to a shuttle so he can go find his father.

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2019 1:20 PM

There’s some weird scenes. Like when they are on Mars and there are enemies in Space that attack them. It’s visually gorgeous but weird.

Then there’s a scene where an Orangutan(?) kills one of the crew members and attacks Pitt. Where did that monkey come from? Why was he on the space shuttle?

Then there’s the scene after Negga drops him off to a random shuttle to help him find his dad and the people on the shuttle get into a fight with him and they all end up dead.

I sometimes wondered if this was all real or in his mind. I need to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2019 1:30 PM

Any nudity?

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2019 1:32 PM

What nudity is needed for a PG-13 space drama?

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2019 1:42 PM

R23 Brad Pitt can be traversing the galaxy in an assless spacesuit.

by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2019 1:52 PM

according to Box Office Mojo this movie is most likely going to bomb

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2019 2:08 PM

"Brad Pitt: ‘I’m Gonna Abstain’ From Oscar Campaigning for ‘Hollywood’ and ‘Ad Astra’"

Pitt is already considered a near-lock to earn a Best Supporting Actor nomination for "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood."

Brad Pitt is having a banner year after earning career-best reviews for his performances in Quentin Tarantino’s “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” and James Gray’s “Ad Astra,” but don’t expect the 55-year-old actor to hit the Oscar campaign trail this awards season. In a new interview with Entertainment Weekly, Pitt says he is not going to participate in Oscar campaigning for either of his 2019 roles.

“Oh, man. I’m gonna abstain,” Pitt said about campaigning for either role this season. “I mean, you never know, and it’s really nice when your number comes up. But the goal is for the film to land, to speak to someone, whether it’s now or a decade from now. I find chasing it actually a disservice to the purity of your telling a story, and a shackling thing to focus on.”

Pitt’s “Ad Astra” performance has received rave reviews, but many Oscar prognosticators agree that his Oscar chances in 2020 are riding more strongly on “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.” The actor is widely expected to be submitted in the Best Supporting Actor category for his role opposite Leonardo DiCaprio and many believe he’s a near-lock to land a nomination. From the way Pitt talks, it appears his Oscar campaigning will have to stick to the confines of his recent press appearances for both films. The buzz around Pitt’s “Hollywood” performance is enough to land him a nomination, but whether or not his lack of campaigning will hurt his chances is something to pay attention to moving forward.

The latest Pitt news follows the actor’s reveal earlier this month that he is planning on cutting back on acting in the future. “It’ll be fewer and farther in between for me, just because I have other things I want to do now,” Pitt said in an interview with The New York Times. “When you feel like you’ve finally got your arms around something, then it’s time to go get your arms around something else.”

Pitt has already stepped back from acting over the last several years and has emerged as a power player in the producing field thanks to his Plan B Entertainment production company. In part thanks to Pitt’s star power, “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” has become Tarantino’s second-highest grossing movie of all time worldwide (unadjusted for inflation). “Ad Astra” opens in theaters nationwide September 20.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2019 2:11 PM

"Ad Astra is about lonely Brad Pitt in space. It’s also about an absent God."

Slow, gorgeous, and unnerving, the movie gives a distinctly modern answer to man’s search for the divine.

Midway through Ad Astra, the crew of a spacecraft blesses one of their number with the words, “May you meet your Redeemer face to face and enjoy the vision of God forever.” And I sat up straighter. Prior to that scene, I wasn’t sure what kind of a movie this was, other than a story about Brad Pitt as a preternaturally calm and emotionally closed-off astronaut in the near future.

This prayer, and some other key hints dropped throughout the film, put a frame around that image. Yes, Ad Astra is a movie about space travel, about a man played by Brad Pitt who is searching for his father in the furthest reaches of the solar system. But it’s also a movie about God.

Or, more specifically, God’s silence.

That’s not an unusual subject for science fiction to tackle; even when it isn’t specifically about an entity called God, sci-fi often deals with the idea of transcendence, of feeling dwarfed by a world that extends far beyond our naked eyes. Nor is it untrodden territory for prestige cinema; in just the last few years, both Martin Scorsese’s Silence and Paul Schrader’s First Reformed have told stories about a God who goes silent.

But Ad Astra may be unique in its metaphorical approach, in how it answers the questions it raises, and in what it’s doing with those answers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2019 2:14 PM

Watching the cam version as I type. I'm into it but I'm FF-ing through the slow parts. 😴

by Anonymousreply 28September 20, 2019 11:03 PM

[quote]I rather liked Interstellar, is this better?

You mean Daddy's behind the bookcase Interstellar? Oh my.

by Anonymousreply 29September 20, 2019 11:08 PM

R28 this isn’t a movie to watch the bootleg of.

Have some integrity.

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2019 11:18 PM

That Moon fight was transcendent. We are blessed with such beautiful moons and planets in our solar system. So why don't we use them more in TV shows and movies?

r30 I haven't been in the theatre in more than a decade, as is my right. And please spare your hand wringing over integrity for those who actually need it, like politicians. I mean, honestly, hysterical much? 🙄

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2019 11:22 PM

Are there aliens in it?

by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2019 11:26 PM

I find R31's lack of integrity disturbing

by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2019 11:28 PM

Thanks for your witless input; hate to see it.

by Anonymousreply 34September 20, 2019 11:33 PM

What's the length of this movie?

by Anonymousreply 35September 20, 2019 11:37 PM

122 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 36September 20, 2019 11:39 PM

Is it longer than 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Or does it just feel like it.

by Anonymousreply 37September 20, 2019 11:40 PM

I watched it earlier today. I quite liked it, though I don't know that I found the payoff all that moving. It's essentially a father/son tale at the heart of this space odyssey. It's very different from the types of sci-fi films we've received as of late... much more meditative... literally... as Brad Pitt's voice over is interlaced throughout the film. I don't know that I always loved it, but it worked towards the greater theme of isolation.

That being said, it's wondrous from a technical perspective. i decided to see it in a Dolby Cinema as I'd never experienced that before. It's pretty wild... the sound system vibrates the seats, but you get used to it, and it worked really well throughout the film. You really appreciate the sound design, especially during that Mad Max-esque fight sequence on the moon. Just stunning, the impressionistic way he utilized sound despite the vacuum of space. Thrilling!

There are a few other rousing set pieces, but it's mainly a story about this astronaut overcoming this idea of his father and learning to connect again. Not traditionally told... may bore some audiences. Pitt's good... not his best work though. I don't see a nomination for him.

I could, however, see nominations for Visual Effects, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, and perhaps Production Design and Original Score. Very strong technical feat.

by Anonymousreply 38September 20, 2019 11:51 PM

[quote]Are there aliens in it?

No, President Ivanka Trump had them deported to Uranis.

by Anonymousreply 39September 21, 2019 12:17 AM

My father was a complete piece of shit so I suspect he's in hell and I have no interest in visiting him there.

In fact any place my father was, is, or will be should be known as hell.

by Anonymousreply 40September 21, 2019 12:27 AM

This was the absolute worst movie I've seen, in at least five years.

I HATED IT.

It was boring, slow, and it made absolutely no sense.

****SPOILER ALERT****

So he makes this billion mile trek to outer space, just to kill his fellow crew members, find his father, get his father to leave his space station, and then let his father die??? He should have just left his father be, and at least he would have lived longer!!!! He traveled billions of miles just to do that???

And don't get me started on how he surfed on a piece of metal, from one station to the next (while orbiting Neptune), and then lands on the second station with a thud - defying the laws of physics. So he is basically traveling thousands of miles per hour, through asteroids (mind you), and then landing on top of an orbiting space station? He would have been pulverized!

Then the fucking story ends with him piloting a space craft billions of miles back to Earth (by himself), landing wherever the hell he felt like it, and ending up in a coffee shop???

OMG.

I went into this movie thinking that it would earn an Academy Award, and I left disgusted at having been bored to tears for two hours, watching a completely unbelievable story.

FUCK THAT SHIT!!

by Anonymousreply 41September 21, 2019 8:59 AM

It will earn Academy Awards

by Anonymousreply 42September 21, 2019 11:47 AM

Sounds like a very great film.

To today's audiences.

by Anonymousreply 43September 21, 2019 3:03 PM

R43 it’s too slow and “chatty” for today’s audiences that only like superhero movies.

by Anonymousreply 44September 21, 2019 4:41 PM

Imma see it on Sunday!

by Anonymousreply 45September 21, 2019 8:07 PM

If you love monotone voice overs, inner monologs and navel gazing, this is the film for you! It's the worst Terrence Malick film ever.

by Anonymousreply 46September 21, 2019 8:10 PM

That sounds depressing, R43. Very depressing.

(And also kind of dumb...)

***SPOILERS Maybe?*****

So, Pitt’s character is a murderer of his whole space crew and he purposely lets his father die?? WTF?

Why would we spend two hours with such an asshole?

(And he’s a “space surfer”? It almost sounds like that implausible so bad it’s good Keanu Reeves/Patrick Swayze bank robbers/surfers/philosophers movie from the ‘90s😬 “Point Break” I think it was called....)

by Anonymousreply 47September 21, 2019 8:15 PM

R47 watch it for yourself.

That person is exaggerating

by Anonymousreply 48September 21, 2019 8:20 PM

That user's making it sound more outlandish than it actually is in the context of the film. I mean, certain moments you definitely have to suspend your disbelief for, but that's the case with many strong sci-fi films.

by Anonymousreply 49September 21, 2019 8:21 PM

That was my take on the movie, R47.

Now I was just summarizing what I saw.

****MORE SPOILERS***

It was a little bit difficult trying to make out the dialogue, but the gist of the story was about Brad trying at all costs to reach his father who had lost contact with Earth, but whom he was sure is still alive in a space station orbiting Neptune.

Apparently, his father also murdered his own crew (because they wanted to abandon their mission above Neptune), and rather than letting them end the mission, he slaughtered them all in their space station.

Meanwhile, Brad is on this quest to reach his father. At some point on the way to Neptune, the people in charge of the mission decide that his father isn't alive (I forgot how this came about), and they tell him to turn around and go home. This was the first part that bugged me. So you send Brad Pitt billions of miles into space, only to tell him to turn around and go back home?? Like he was going to the corner market? Omg, that pissed me off.

Of course, Brad wasn't going to turn around, and I believe (again, it was hard to hear) that his fellow astronauts were trying to get him to turn back, which is how he ends up killing them. Also like someone upthread mentioned, there was this random monkey who ends up killing someone, and also some random dog wandering around their craft, as if he was a stray in the alleys of Cairo.

Miraculously (I use that word snarkily), he makes it to Neptune in a little shuttle all by himself, only to discover that the shuttle can't dock with the space station, because it got damaged during the trip. So he exits the shuttle into space, and the shuttle drifts off, basically stranding him at his father's space station.

He enters the space station and finds his father who is half insane, but still alive. After more boring dialogue about the whos, whats, whens, wheres, and hows of the past years of being stranded, Brad convinces his father to leave the station.

Of course, without a ship, they exit into space in just their space suits, and some sort of tether, to try and reach a nearby space station (which I assume has a craft to get them back to Earth.

In their attempt to reach the other station, something goes wrong, and the father basically says "let me go." After the gratuitous hemming and hawing, Brad reluctantly lets his father drift off into space.

There's still the matter of Brad needing to get to the other station (while drifting in outer space in just a space suit, mind you). This is where he finds a piece of space junk, and uses it to surf through an asteroid belt (with BOULDER SIZED ASTEROIDS), and he manages to dodge them all (**eyes rolling**) and target the other space station (again, while drifting in outer space) while "surfing" the piece of metal at what must be thousands of miles per hour.

Again MIRACULOUSLY, he lands with a thud on top of the other space station (which in real life would have squashed him like a bug).

The movie just glosses over this, and shows him landing back on Earth (a scene of about five seconds), and then voila! He's in a coffee shop.

More low talking.... then end of movie.

WORST MOVIE EVER.

by Anonymousreply 50September 21, 2019 8:36 PM

R50 only that’s not how things happened.

Brad thought his father was dead, and was told they believe he’s alive because there was activity located right by Neptune. He is sent off to find them and then, yes, they want to abandon. He ends up at Ruth Neggas station where he fails the psychological test and is kept in a room because he keeps failing the test and got the passwords wrong to reach the base. Negga helps him escape and brings him to the shuttle, a one man tiny shuttle, and he goes to his fathers, who is now partially insane. He pretty much forces his mentally ill dad to come with him and he starts his fathers station and they are outside, as Brad is trying to get the shuttle started. That is when his father loosens his tether, Attached to Brad, and tries to escape. Brad doesn’t let him go and is fighting with him for a few minutes before his father gets the tether loosened and begins to float off. Then we see Brad screaming and crying.

You’re twisting it 100%. Did you even see it?

by Anonymousreply 51September 21, 2019 9:01 PM

Well, now I want to see it with all of these different interpretations of events!

Thanks for the replies! This is one of the more interesting DL movie threads going on right now, that’s for sure...

by Anonymousreply 52September 21, 2019 9:52 PM

I think the strong reactions to it here are interesting; it seems like either you really go with the movie or you really hate it and there’s not much in between...

by Anonymousreply 53September 21, 2019 9:55 PM

That's an awful lot of plot for such a slow movie.

by Anonymousreply 54September 21, 2019 11:24 PM

Go see it, Girls.

Let’s support Brad now that he’s looking, feeling, and acting the best he ever has.

by Anonymousreply 55September 21, 2019 11:26 PM

Well considering he spends the entire movie in a spacesuit why bother?

by Anonymousreply 56September 22, 2019 12:42 AM

[quote]you could see every emotion in his eyes for this movie. You could see the hurt, and pain, and longing in his eyes.

I did that.

by Anonymousreply 57September 22, 2019 12:54 AM

Angie, fuck off! That’s why Brad is having the best year of his life after leaving you while you’re still using your kids to try and get attention!

by Anonymousreply 58September 22, 2019 1:06 AM

[quote]I did that.

You really did, Angie. All the scenes where he's reflecting about the measure of a man and his own Inadaquencies as a husband; how closed off he was, made me think he was using his relationship with Angelina and the kids. That he, perhaps, realized what Jennifer Aniston said is true: there's a sensitivity chip that's missing in him.

The director, James Gray, says that when a tear rolls down Brad's face when he's talking to his father, it wasn't scripted - he just cried and Brad wanted him to at least edit the tear so that it traveled the way it would in zero gravity, but Gray didn't want to change it.

by Anonymousreply 59September 22, 2019 1:06 AM

What's with the dog?

by Anonymousreply 60September 22, 2019 1:09 AM

I saw Ad Astra yesterday. Fascinating movie and the best acting that Brad Pitt has ever done. I'd give it an 8/10.

Tommy Lee Jones looks like hell in the movie but at the end of the film his acting is quite good. Ruth Negga gives a generic performance - nothing special and it doesn't quite register. Her character seems to give off a lesbian vibe, to me anyway, and that part of it is cool.

by Anonymousreply 61September 22, 2019 1:22 AM

R31, you’re an asshole. The kind that wants to light up a cigar in a hospital. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 62September 22, 2019 1:23 AM

R61 lesbian? She comes off Alien to me. I felt she stood out over Pitt in their scenes together.

by Anonymousreply 63September 22, 2019 1:24 AM

Wow, so the director let it stand that the Brad Pitt’s character’s tears can defy gravity?!

Okay, I’m really getting the impression that they went full on “metaphorical” and “symbolic” with this rather than striving for any type of scientific realism....

I’m not saying that’s either a good or a bad thing, but definitely some strong/definitive choices were made by James Gray as director here.

by Anonymousreply 64September 22, 2019 1:29 AM

Pitts face when Jones tells him he never thought of him once in the 30 years he’s been gone was genuine. He looked so hurt.

by Anonymousreply 65September 22, 2019 1:31 AM

For the uninitiated the unusual title "Ad Astra" means To The Stars in Latin.

Someone above got the length of the movie wrong - it's 2 hours and 2 minutes and a great watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 22, 2019 1:32 AM

R63 Her character wasn't an alien - her parents were born on Earth but she was born in space.

by Anonymousreply 67September 22, 2019 1:35 AM

R67 I know. And she comes off Alien like. Someone who only knows Space. She only visited earth once.

by Anonymousreply 68September 22, 2019 1:36 AM

"Slow burn" is code for boring as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 69September 22, 2019 1:38 AM

[quote]Pitts face when Jones tells him he never thought of him once in the 30 years he’s been gone was genuine. He looked so hurt.

I did that.

by Anonymousreply 70September 22, 2019 1:40 AM

I really liked it and I don't want to spoil anything either, but there were a lot of subtle things I liked about it. I like its idea or Pitt's character's idea, summarization about intelligent life on other planets. I am greatly annoyed by this idea that somehow Mars is going to save us and I like that this film takes the wherever you go there you are approach.

Of many of the fairly recent space movies it comes close to how I feel about space travel, the infatuation with space. I don't know what the awards season will be like for male performances, but I could see Best Supporting for Once Upon a Time and Best nominee for this.

As for the slow burn, I don't know that I would call it slow burn, it's just a lot of gradual, steady revelations that build on each other. It looks like a big space blockbustery kind of movie in the trailers, but it's very much an indie film.

by Anonymousreply 71September 22, 2019 1:43 AM

It's very strange to me. I mentioned the movie the my BF today, and he had never heard of it. He's always trying to get me to go to movies with him, but he owns his own company, and I'm an hourly worker. I can't just get up and go someplace in the middle of the day. I told him this is one of the few movies I've read about that interests me, and he seemed dubious. I felt stupid trying to capture his interest, but then I reminded him that Brad had helped produce 'Twelve Years a Slave', and 'Moonlight', and had never taken the bait and appeared in a Marvel super-hero movie (you can't tell me it hasn't been offered to him). I think he understood I wasn't just being trifling. I am, sometimes. But I don't ask my BF to take me to a movie very often. He knows I tear up, and gets embarrassed. I really like Brad Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 72September 22, 2019 1:50 AM

R61 I feel like she was kind of the mirror image of Pitt's character, world/space weary and a victim of the Lima project the same as he was. I mean her resting heart rate was probably in the 50s too.

I feel like the film had all of the same beats as a regular thriller, but without the kinetic pacing.

by Anonymousreply 73September 22, 2019 1:54 AM

“But I don't ask my BF to take me to a movie very often. He knows I tear up, and gets embarrassed. I really like Brad Pitt.”

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 74September 22, 2019 1:54 AM

R72 that’s pretty trifling.

PS Brad Pitt was in contention to play Cable in Deadpool 2 but they passed on him for Brolin. Hence the cameo of him being electrocuted to death in it.

by Anonymousreply 75September 22, 2019 1:56 AM

There was even concept art of what Pitt as Cable would look like

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 22, 2019 1:57 AM

Yeah, I did this film already: "Contact".

by Anonymousreply 77September 22, 2019 2:02 AM

R72 I'm not sure I can make heads or tails of your post or how your boyfriend could have missed the ubiquitous Ad Astra ad campaign. I guess it could depend on where you live, but ads for this and Downtown Abbey have been very persistent.

I know some people feel uncomfortable going to movies on their own, but maybe just do that and cry all you want. I wouldn't say this is a tearjerker, but that could depend on your relationship with your father. Or your boyfriend as I am not sure why he would need to take you.

by Anonymousreply 78September 22, 2019 2:03 AM

I personally prefer seeing movies alone these days.

by Anonymousreply 79September 22, 2019 2:04 AM

James Gray also directed THE LOST CITY OF Z, which is another high concept film but at its heart is a story of a man grappling with his place in the world. It was also slow going for me, but I enjoyed it.

To me there is nothing more thrilling in AD ASTRA than the chase scene through the moon. It was astounding. Then it slows down to a resting heart rate in the 50s and becomes more introspective, then punctuated by ridiculous scenes (the Norwegian vessel).

by Anonymousreply 80September 22, 2019 2:05 AM

Well, I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 81September 22, 2019 2:08 AM

R80 I guess both the chase scene and the Norwegian have kind of the same point. Our enemies even in space are of our own making.

by Anonymousreply 82September 22, 2019 2:14 AM

Pitt won’t do a superhero movie after his cameo in Deadpool 2.

Brad Pitt admitted that his small appearance satisfied his curiosities when it came to the world of superhero cinema. "I think I've taken it as far as I can take it," Pitt revealed to MTV News about the role. "Ryan Reynolds came up with a part that I could fill."

by Anonymousreply 83September 22, 2019 2:29 AM

I'm R72. and I know I'm an asshole to many of you. Believe or not, some of us choose to avoid social media, so we can concentrate on our lives. I only knew there was a new Brad Pitt movie coming out because I read about it here. And my BF didn't know about it, until I told him about it, and forwarded him a link. There was a recent post about Cher on some current TV show. I don't know the current TV shows. But my BF perked up when I mentioned that Cher sang 'Waterloo'. He asked me to send him the video link. So I did. My BF and I are only in our 50s. I only developed phobias about driving after my parents died. You really don't need to beat me up for things I can't control.

by Anonymousreply 84September 22, 2019 2:34 AM

R84 I am R78 and I apologize for being kind of harsh. I don't think you're an asshole, I was just a little confused by your post. I didn't see the trailers for the film on social media. They were on tv (streaming) and the sides of buses, but I also live in a large city so my area may have been more saturated. My mom is in her seventies and she knew what movie I was talking about when I mentioned seeing it, but she also lives in another large city and watches mostly streaming tv as well.

And I realize it can be daunting for people to go public places alone since you may have to run for your life at any moment. I had active shooter training at work this week and am still kind of pissed about it. So again my apologies and if you and your boyfriend do make it to Ad Astra, I hope you enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 85September 22, 2019 3:20 AM

R85, Thank you. That's very kind.

by Anonymousreply 86September 22, 2019 7:59 AM

[quote]Tommy Lee Jones looks like hell in the movie

Yeah, well being out in space for thirty years might do that to you.

by Anonymousreply 87September 22, 2019 8:30 AM

[quote]For the uninitiated the unusual title "Ad Astra" means To The Stars in Latin.

You don't say. It only said as much during the opening titles.

by Anonymousreply 88September 22, 2019 2:01 PM

Simmer down, R88.

I saw the movie and I didn't realize that's what "Ad Astra" meant.

Thanks to whoever posted that. Some of us don't always pick up on the little details, and we appreciate the edification.

by Anonymousreply 89September 22, 2019 2:09 PM

I saw this last night...still not sure if I liked it (or if it was good), but I definitely know it was kind of a bummer.

by Anonymousreply 90September 22, 2019 3:03 PM

[quote] still not sure if I liked it (or if it was good),

That's how you know it was "art."

by Anonymousreply 91September 22, 2019 3:07 PM

I was going to skip this but I went to see it partly because of OP’s review. I enjoyed it very much. I’m a science fiction fan but the “awards season big movie star serious sci if films” tend to be either hit (Blade Runner 2049, Arrival) or miss (Interstellar, Gravity, The Martian) with me.

This movie, I would be shocked, shocked if it wasn’t straight out pitched as “‘2001’ meets ‘Heart of Darkness.’” I loved that the shout outs to “2001” also managed to incorporate some wry commentary on how much our optimism about the future has faded since then (the stewardesses on the commercial flights to the moon now charge $125 for a blanket and pillow.)

Some really phenomenal, eerie shots in this. For all the visual effects (this will definitely win the Oscar) the eeriest shot for me was the German Shepherd chasing its tail in some lonely dark corridor on the Mars base.

This is the first movie I’ve seen with Ruth Negga and she really is a phenomenal screen presence. I wish her role had been greater.

Also loved, loved seeing Loren Dean again, he is still hot as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 92September 22, 2019 5:51 PM

Also loved seeing Natasha Lyonne’s cameo. She takes you out of the movie for a second but then you realize she’s exactly the type of person you’d see at a mindless bureaucratic desk job on Mars.

by Anonymousreply 93September 22, 2019 6:06 PM

I also thought this was the perfect space movie for the Trumpian era - everything humans touched turns to shit - the moonport has a Subway and Hudson News, and a giant Vegas Vic statue for one assumes a casino. And a state of war is nonchalantly announced on the PA system. And of course the pirates.

by Anonymousreply 94September 22, 2019 8:52 PM

I would rather watch a movie featuring "Brad's ASStra."

by Anonymousreply 95September 24, 2019 1:16 AM

I may see it again tomorrow

by Anonymousreply 96September 24, 2019 1:20 AM

Wow, R96.

I'd rather be locked up in Guantanamo, than watch that shit movie twice.

by Anonymousreply 97September 24, 2019 1:23 AM

Brad's best acting was in Kalifornia.

by Anonymousreply 98September 24, 2019 1:24 AM

Nope.

Brad's best acting was in Thelma and Louise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 24, 2019 2:09 AM

Brad just has to stand there and look pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100September 24, 2019 2:11 AM

Somebody above gave it an 8/10 and I think that's about right. There were quite a few moments that seemed very unrealistic and took me out of the movie (e.g. everyone on the moon is walking around in Earth gravity, the most important mission in the Solar System can only muster two moon buggies while the pirates can do double that - and how do they support the logistics of the Moon launch site when he leaves from if it's so hard to get there?) . But overall I really enjoyed it and think it's definitely worth the price of a ticket. The hand touching scene with his father was quite emotional.

by Anonymousreply 101September 27, 2019 2:55 AM

I loved the movie and didn't get distracted by some of what some seem to think as unrealistic. It is gorgeous and has some fun action scenes as well. My only issue was Brad's mushy mouth delivery but that is to be expected because he talks that way. He is better in action and comedic roles but generally speaking it is a fine film.

by Anonymousreply 102September 28, 2019 12:50 PM

[quote]Brad just has to stand there and look pretty.

Which he did splendidly.

[quote]the most important mission in the Solar System can only muster two moon buggies while the pirates can do double that

Maybe the space pirates PIRATED them.

by Anonymousreply 103September 28, 2019 12:55 PM

I honestly really liked this film. It has a lot of "texture" to it.

Ruth was electric onscreen. No small role, indeed. She definitely has that X factor.

I wish Brad would switch up his speaking voice, but he did a fine job.

Tommy will get best supporting actor. His character was loathsome but such a good role.

I might see it again on IMAX before Joker takes up all the IMAX screens.

by Anonymousreply 104October 1, 2019 1:54 AM

R102 - Brad and Nicole Kidman need dialect coaches 100 percent of the time. He IS very mush-mouthed...an astronaut of his caliber would likely speak in a highly precise, almost clipped, fashion.

I add Nicole Kidman because she can't do an authentic American accent to save her life. If she's going to be in every movie, she needs to realize she needs to work on her fucking accent. Her Aussie accent ruined any believability of Destroyer and was so distracting in BLL.

by Anonymousreply 105October 1, 2019 1:58 AM

Nicole and Tammy would both be a lot better if they could only ACT.

by Anonymousreply 106October 1, 2019 2:15 AM

The movie is quite good Technically awe inspiring. Brad’s acting will get him nominated - and unless he takes best supporting for Hollywood - he will win. In both thoughts and deeds, the story reveals Pitt’s character as an attenuated version of his enigmatic father. (Half his mother’s child, I suppose.)

Human failure is the movie’s underlying theme. And humanity is all we have.

by Anonymousreply 107October 2, 2019 12:58 PM

I went to the last showing on the largest IMAX in my city last night, and was glad I did. It's really a visual masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 108October 3, 2019 7:21 PM

I’m so impressed with that new year and the time of the year. I hope that she doesn’t wanna go to see her doctor tomorrow

by Anonymousreply 109October 3, 2019 7:24 PM

I want to see this again

by Anonymousreply 110October 7, 2019 1:04 AM

What’s with all the space movies all of the sudden? And these are the only ones that aren’t remakes?

It’s like they are trying to condition us slowly and acclimate is to our new homes as they send us off to breed on a ship for 700 years to mars.

Well I am not going quietly.

By the way, this movie was extremely boring to me. I got nothing from it except the courage to finally ask amazon for a refund for a wasted of time film.

If they are going to do any more space movies, please make them action packed and interesting. I had to fast forward it to the credits. I just couldn’t take the boredom any longer.

Did he ever find Matt Damon?

by Anonymousreply 111December 28, 2019 4:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!