Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever found anything on "American Horror Story" genuinely scary?

I've watched several seasons of it. I skipped half of "Roanoke Island" and all of "Cult" because I did not find them appealing--otherwise I've sen the whole thing. I've found parts of it well acted, and many parts very campy or very clever, and even some moments that were very sexy; but I don't think I can think of much that was genuinely scary--which to me is pretty much the most basic element of a horror story.

I'd be curious if anyone agrees with me, or if anyone has a moment or an episode they thought was genuinely scary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2019 4:55 AM

Scary, no. I thought the first was intriguing, inventive and stylish. I was impressed. The second was horrific and sometimes disturbing but there were no scares per se.

The witch season was like camp comedy, and then it went off the rails halfway through the season when all the witches had died but somehow...none of them was dead. At that point I lost interest. There’s no scare and not even any dramatic interest in a story in which death is just a bad night.

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2019 12:15 AM

The daughter discovering her own corpse in the first season was kinda scary. I was also a little creeped out by the possessed nun in Asylum. The real ghosts making their entrance during Roanoke was kinda creepy. That’s it, I think.

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2019 12:22 AM

Dandy killing the entire party of snobby women in Season 5 could have been scary, but it made no sense to me why they could not swarm him and take him down (or at least all run and escape) since he didn't have a weapon, and wasn't trapping them in a room and taking them out one by one like Richard Speck.

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2019 12:30 AM

ASYLUM frightened me and I only watched it on demand on the weekends when the sun was up. I am already apprehensive about clowns, circuses and side shows, so FREAK SHOW also scared me.

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2019 12:34 AM

Disturbing and stick with me? Yes. Scary? Not really.

Season 1: Nurse murders (fatty patty!)

Asylum: Evil Santa Christmas murder (tied up with lights)

Coven: Intro with LaLaurie and the slaves in the attic

Freak Show: Twisty and the van / Dandy with the puppet mom and Avon lady (lol)

Hotel: Dildo demon

Cult: Sealing those people in the coffins

Usually it’s just eye-rollingly stupid nowadays though.

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2019 12:47 AM

As someone who grew up watching all those dumb 80’s slashers over and over again, I’m loving the spot on homages in this new season so far!

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2019 1:00 AM

That wasn't what I asked, r6.

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2019 1:06 AM

Yes, being locked in an asylum, the circus clowns, the woman with two heads, the people getting locked in coffins.

by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2019 4:03 AM

That motherfucking clown scared the shit outta me.

by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2019 4:12 AM

Lady Fuckface's nude body

by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2019 4:15 AM

[quote] the woman with two heads,

I can see why. The CGI is so convincing, and so terrifying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2019 4:21 AM

Queenie and the Minotaur in Coven.

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2019 4:26 AM

The possessed nun in season 2.

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2019 4:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!