Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

🌰🌰OMG & yummy. I think the Americans are probably really good at selling/packaging delicious nuts. 🥜🥜

I bought a couple of cans of nuts from a place in London that sells American foods this week.

They're REALLY good. Much nicer than the stuff you buy here.

They're from Belmont. One is sweet, Butter Toffee Peanuts and the other, Gourmet Virginia Peanuts, is not. Both REALLY good. Is Belmont famous?

Are there any other American brands/makes of nuts you can recommend?

LOL "farm to table" - I've heard you guys joking about this from time to time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2019 4:58 PM

I've never heard of that brand, but those do sound good. I honestly don't know of any specific peanut brands in the U.S. aside from Planter's, which is ubiquitous. I think most all other brands are regional, so it varies depending on which part of the country you live in. Most American grocery chains have their own store brands of different types of roasted peanuts—you can also find them in the bulk sections, but it's not apparent who makes those unless you do some digging into the grocery chain's suppliers.

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2019 9:59 PM

Thank you, R1.

by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2019 10:08 PM

No problem. I just looked up the Belmont brand, and they're from Virginia. I lived in NYC when I was in grad school and don't ever remember seeing this brand, but I'm not a huge consumer of peanuts, so I could've just not noticed. I'm from the Pacific Northwest and honestly can't name a regional peanut brand from there, although I know there have to be some. We do have great nut butters in Oregon from a local brand called Wild Friends, although I doubt it's readily available in the UK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2019 10:14 PM

I've never heard of the Belmont brand. Planter's is by far the best known brand in the US. Fisher Nuts are (or were) a superior brand, though (disclaimer: I worked for the parent company at one time, so I've been on factory tours). The variety that most people crave are (is?) honey-roasted cashews. They're extremely addictive. I consume a lot of nuts, since they're one of my main sources of protein. I always have pecans and walnuts in the fridge, for my breakfast cereal. I like to add them to salads in place of croutons, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2019 1:50 AM

I live in Virginia and haven’t heard of that brand, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Virginia peanuts are very different from typical cocktail peanuts, they are big and very crunchy. I usually keep them in the fridge, they are great cold. OP, I think Hubs are the most popular around here. Pick up some Smithfield ham to go with them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2019 2:00 AM

I love Virginia peanuts. Usually don't see them up here in NY but there were some in Duane Reade the other day and I got two containers (on sale!)

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2019 2:30 AM

I was at Costco on Monday and they had HUGE containers of Virginia peanuts. The Costco I go to is in Port Chester, New York.

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2019 2:34 AM

I love California almonds, but the plants are so water-intensive in a drought region, it makes you feel a little guilty indulging.

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2019 2:38 AM

R7, I guess it's Virginia peanut season up here then! Good to know.

I love those smokehouse almonds but I buy them sparingly since I'll eat half a container with beer or wine and call it dinner. Yumm...

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2019 2:45 AM

CVS has a surprisingly large selection of store-brand nuts.

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2019 3:43 AM

OP, I was born in Virginia and my uncle owned a Williamsburg farm that, among many crops, included peanuts.  The Commonwealth is famous for them; it's the sandy loam soil found along the coast in Tidewater/Eastern Virginia that peanut plants love, and thrive in.  Peanuts are technically legumes and members of the family of plant-based items including lentils, beans and soybeans. As others have pointed out, there are multiple commercial brands, but Virginia-grown peanuts are tough to beat!

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2019 4:20 AM

Op, to quote your fellow countryman, Hugh Grant, from the movie Bridget Jones’ Diary, what an exciting life you do lead.

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2019 5:34 AM

I often get the Planters Nut-trition Mens Health.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2019 10:57 AM

You’re pretty easily amused, huh, OP?

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2019 10:59 AM

The Sahale brand makes great flavored and seasons nuts. My current favorite is the Cashews with vanilla and pomegranate, but their pistachios are awesome as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2019 11:00 AM

OP Real Virginia peanuts should have this logo on the label. Something to look for when buying Virginia made products.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2019 11:44 AM

[quote]You’re pretty easily amused, huh, OP?

Yes, I am. You sound especially funny.

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2019 12:43 PM

Try Fisher cocoa almonds. They're very testy. A local grocery offers cinnamon-sugar almonds in the grain bins, and I like those almot as much.

by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2019 2:19 AM

Actually, I think Emerald makes the cocoa almonds.

by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2019 4:22 PM

I ate a whole can of honey-roasted cashews last night. That was pretty much my dinner (with some Merlot). I couldn't believe all the weird flavors they had for sale at the grocery, though.

by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2019 4:26 PM

[quote]A local grocery offers cinnamon-sugar almonds in the grain bins, and I like those almot as much.

Sounds LOVELY!! We don't so cinnamon much in England, not the way they do in America, but I love it.

by Anonymousreply 21September 21, 2019 4:43 PM

I love Trader Joe's rosemary marcona almonds. And I just saw some from one of the California brands -- Blue Diamond, I think.

by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2019 4:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!