Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pete Buttigieg fed up with LGBT media's criticism of his homosexuality

2020 presidential hopeful Pete Buttigieg criticized LGBT media for having an agenda when they cover his campaign and said that he can no longer read it and be himself.

Buttigieg appeared Wednesday on SiriusXM's "The Clay Cane Show," where he was asked about divisions within the gay community — he said the constant minutia and fractured opinions driving LGBT publications finally pushed him away.

“I just am what I am, and, you know, there’s going to be a lot of that. That’s why I can’t even read the LGBT media anymore because it’s all, ‘he's too gay, not gay enough, wrong kind of gay,'” the South Bend, Ind., mayor said.

“All I know is that life became a lot easier when I just started allowing myself to be myself and I’ll let other people write up whether I’m ‘too this’ or ‘too that,'” he added.

In the most recent Fox News poll on the 2020 Democratic primary, Buttigieg polled at 5 percent, behind Sens. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and former Vice President Joe Biden.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94September 26, 2019 8:21 PM

She is not very pretty and she is a VERY dangerous CIA/usury banker stooge.

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2019 8:09 PM

You know how bitchy fags can be.

by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2019 8:19 PM

Maybe Pete is sapiosexual. And he ain't got time for this.

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2019 8:24 PM

He's completely right. A lot of us are narcissists (or perhaps we're just starved for representation?) and want to see ourselves personally mirrored in gay celebrities and politicians. You're either too flaming or too "straight-acting", too into Drag Race or too clueless about Drag Race. You can never win, whatever you do.

Personally, I'd wear it as a badge of honour if some clueless WeHo whore wrote a hit piece that I'm not gay enough.

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2019 8:29 PM

Petes' going all the way!

How will the ugly partner redecorate the Oval Office?

Beto is commng on strong! Kamala is the answer! Oh, an Bernie is a shoe in.

God , stupid makes me tired.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2019 8:30 PM

Frankly, I don't blame him. Some of these navel-gazing articles which endlessly pontificate about what is or isn't gay enough are just a tiresome waste of time. Op-Eds have reached a sort of peak Dark Ages.

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2019 8:31 PM

I'm glad he's said this - he's absolutely right.

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2019 8:33 PM

[quote]“I just am what I am,

It would benefit him not to speak in Showtunes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2019 8:35 PM

He's spot on. It's a tiresome and exhausting competition sometimes who can be the gayest, the best gay, the "right" sort of gay. I can completely relate to his statement.

by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2019 8:35 PM

R5 It's shoo-in, FYI.

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2019 8:35 PM

He’s white and not a tranny so the Left hates him. Being white is the worst thing in the world according to the Left. Well, that and being a Jew.

by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2019 8:40 PM

Didn't President Obama have the same problem, some said he was acting too white, some said he was acting too black. Hillary was too shrill, Elizabeth Warren to too Professorly, Beto waves his arms too much, Bernie shouts. If you are going to run for President you can't be so thin skinned. The other day someone started a thread about Mayor Pete because he worn brown shoes with blue slacks. It come with the territory, if Mayor Pete were to win it would only get worse.

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2019 8:41 PM

I don’t blame him. Some LGBT people have been real unsupportive assholes for whatever reason and I would just think “whatever” at this point too.

by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2019 8:48 PM

Democrats are going to look back on this primary years from now as a missed opportunity. Nominating Pete would have been the game changer of all game changers. But they can’t see it because he doesn’t have a vagina, doesn’t hiss, and is a little too white. I would rather lose with Pete at the top of the ticket, than the Twitter Democrats preferred unelectable candidate dujour.

by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2019 8:49 PM

The LGBT Community has become so splintered and Far Left PC that they are attacking and eating up their own kind. If even a level headed guy like Mayor Pete is fed up with the situation then you know how bad things have gotten.

by Anonymousreply 15September 19, 2019 8:55 PM

Like many DLers, Pete is generalizing "the LGBT media" when the fault specifically is the SJW POC Trans-cult media, specifically The Advocate, Them, and asshole Dale Peck's heinous little screed in The New Republic.

Dozens of U.S. gay newspapers have good reputations, yet Pete refuses to do interviews because some fat black gender-fluid green-haired Tumblr cunt on Them said he wasn't queer enough.

5% Pete will not get far that way.

by Anonymousreply 16September 19, 2019 8:58 PM

R14 Exactly. Several dumb lesbians won’t support him because he doesn’t have a cunt, several gay men won’t support him because he doesn’t discuss LGBT issues 24/7 (because they don’t understand that he also has to appeal to the other 90% of the population as well), and then there are minority gays bitching about him being white.

I would throw my hands up in the air and say fuck it too if I were him.

by Anonymousreply 17September 19, 2019 9:00 PM

I am straight so I have no opinion of him good or bad. He is meh.

by Anonymousreply 18September 19, 2019 9:00 PM

R18 You can have an opinion on him R18, even though you are straight. What a silly comment really. I'm not an American, yet live here, and have formed an opinion of him (intelligent, brave, pragmatic "good (gay) guy.

by Anonymousreply 19September 19, 2019 9:05 PM

He's doing the right thing. The LGBT media and all the Twitter morons are exhausting. He's just a dorky guy who happens to be gay (like so many of us), but they hate those types of gay men.

by Anonymousreply 20September 19, 2019 9:06 PM

R20, "the LGBT media" ...Can you cite specific examples?

No, because you're nodding your head like a "moron," and you haven't read an actual news story published by an actual gay-owned newspaper in years, if ever.

by Anonymousreply 21September 19, 2019 9:11 PM

r21 see r16. And get off your cross, we need the wood.

by Anonymousreply 22September 19, 2019 9:14 PM

The Evangelicals aren't going to vote for him because he quotes the Bible at them. Just who is Pete's support base? Rich, white gay men?

by Anonymousreply 23September 19, 2019 9:16 PM

I like Pete.

by Anonymousreply 24September 19, 2019 9:21 PM

for r8: Allan Carr gave us an autographed album of the show for us and our husband at the time/

by Anonymousreply 25September 19, 2019 9:22 PM

I'll vote Dem if Pete's the nominee. Otherwise I'll vote Amash if he's on the Libertarian line. I sent Pete money. It's just the gay thing.

by Anonymousreply 26September 19, 2019 9:25 PM

R20/R22, you fucking moron, I am R21 and R16. Your asinine cliché-spewing also shows how stinkingly dumb you are.

R20/R22, you're incredibly stupid and can't find any specific example of "dumb LGBT media" because you can barely read.

by Anonymousreply 27September 19, 2019 9:25 PM

I know, Mary!, but as Martin Luther King said, Judge a man, not by the color of his skin (or in Pete's case, his sexuality) , but by the content of his character. To me, Pete's has shown that, judging by his character, he is man I would trust and be proud to call POTUS.

by Anonymousreply 28September 19, 2019 9:27 PM

"If you are going to run for President you can't be so thin skinned."

Evidently you are not familiar with the current POTUS.

by Anonymousreply 29September 19, 2019 9:28 PM

He's right. It's too bad that being recently gay is his only platform.

by Anonymousreply 30September 19, 2019 9:31 PM

Some of the antipathy is surely the resentment many gay men feel, at the perceived ease at a late coming out . I don't understand why he is shocked. And now he is celebrated by some people for something every gay man does: coming out.

Some gay men choose not to hide, and it is those gay men who bear the brunt of the myriad manifestations of homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 31September 19, 2019 9:41 PM

[quote] And now he is celebrated by some people for something every gay man does: coming out.

Except gay Republicans. We prefer to live in closets unless forced out, and actively do damage to gay rights in the process.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 19, 2019 9:44 PM

[quote] That’s why I can’t even read the LGBT media anymore because it’s all, ‘he's too gay, not gay enough, wrong kind of gay,'” the South Bend, Ind., mayor said.

Right, Pete. We've heard it a thousand times before. The media is all Fake News.

Ugh. I'm sick of the thin-skinned asshole we now have blaming the media. I'm not interested in electing another one. During a political campaign, we evaluate the candidate. That's what campaigns are for. Deal with it, Mr. Buttigieg.

by Anonymousreply 33September 19, 2019 9:49 PM

r27 you wrote:

[quote]the SJW POC Trans-cult media, specifically The Advocate, Them, and asshole Dale Peck's heinous little screed in The New Republic.

That's what I was referring to, you unhinged moron. You can also put OUT and Queerty in there too. JFC, calm down.

by Anonymousreply 34September 19, 2019 9:52 PM

he’s not Trans or POC enough. Pass

by Anonymousreply 35September 19, 2019 9:58 PM

He's not man enough. That's the truth.

by Anonymousreply 36September 19, 2019 10:02 PM

He served in Afghanistan for our military. That's pretty damn brave. Certainly much braver than mealy-mouthed trolls on an anonymous website.

by Anonymousreply 37September 19, 2019 10:34 PM

R16 - R34 etc, merely quoting me because s/he's such a smug little dumb cunt who can't read or remember the name of any LGBT publication, good or bad, without someone else mentioning them.

You're the Dem version of a dumbass Trumpian.

JFC, STFU, LOL!

by Anonymousreply 38September 19, 2019 10:49 PM

R19. I am not a fan of his. He is not my first, second or third choice. I will never vote for him. I don't care either way.

by Anonymousreply 39September 19, 2019 10:58 PM

He’s not wrong. Gay men are the worst.

by Anonymousreply 40September 19, 2019 11:01 PM

Can someone explain how the reaction of the "LGBT media" differs from the reaction of Datalounge.

Because I keep seeing the same ridiculous crap on here too.

by Anonymousreply 41September 19, 2019 11:03 PM

Of course you wouldn't, you straight asshole on a gay site R39

by Anonymousreply 42September 19, 2019 11:07 PM

R39 Well, at least you grabbed your balls and spoke your mind. (we wouldn't expect any less of you, as straight blokes don't seem shy doing both things!) I'm just a bit curious as to why you seem ambivalent about this election in general, or the candidates. What do you enjoy most coming to a gay forum?

by Anonymousreply 43September 19, 2019 11:17 PM

Gays run the gamut. Take your pick. BTW, do any of you know all gays? Leave him alone. He's very smart and should be vice.

by Anonymousreply 44September 19, 2019 11:18 PM

[quote]During a political campaign, we evaluate the candidate. That's what campaigns are for. Deal with it, Mr. Buttigieg.

Evaluate his policies based on the other candidates and decide his worth and fitness for office that way. Not whether or not he can name the last six winners of RuPaul's Drag Race and every other word out of his mouth is gurl.

by Anonymousreply 45September 19, 2019 11:28 PM

Why can't Ru Paul get elected president?

by Anonymousreply 46September 19, 2019 11:30 PM

R41 To be fair, you're being a bit hypocritical here, as I've read many posts of yours putting those down, whom you deem "less than" here. I really thought you were rather likeable before I read many of those. Specifically, they're always of a classist POV, putting down those who may have sprung from less advantaged backgrounds, and various simple and honest Americans not living in coastal cities. By your very words here, you seem to hold many gays in disdain yourself, when you feel they're beneath you in sophistication, or worldliness. Sorry, as I don't really wish to spar with you, but it must be said; your post is a bit disingenuous.

by Anonymousreply 47September 19, 2019 11:34 PM

He has a lot of nerve criticizing the “gay media” and being frustrated. He’s been out of the closet for like two years and really has a nerve.

It also smacks of dog whistling to his hoped-for straight religious voters so he can let them know that he’s not one of “those” gays.

Who really cares what you think Pious Pete?

by Anonymousreply 48September 19, 2019 11:39 PM

Yeah, he really has A nerve, all right, Oleg.

by Anonymousreply 49September 19, 2019 11:42 PM

[quote]He’s been out of the closet for like two years and really has a nerve.

What the fuck does that even mean?

by Anonymousreply 50September 19, 2019 11:42 PM

Girl Mary, let me tell you. Pete has really A nerve being not an Out and Proud Gay Mary. I think is joke his campaign.

by Anonymousreply 51September 19, 2019 11:44 PM

When you pander to the enbies and genderqueer crowd Pete, they’re going to play these absurdist purity games and Oppression Olympics— that you’re too white, too cis, too male. Best to just not bother with them.

by Anonymousreply 52September 19, 2019 11:52 PM

The media gays on Twitter have turned against him.

Ryan Murphy is lucky his fundraiser for him never happened.

I really love the idea of a gay candidate but I just never felt like he was the right one.

What really bothers me is that he doesn't think he needs the gay media to get elected, which just hearkens back to him telling that woman at a rally that he didn't need her vote. No Pete, you need as many votes as you can possibly get and you can't just bash and entire group of magazines just because they don't print what you want. That's not smart at all. Just ignore them. Don't be so thin skinned!

by Anonymousreply 53September 19, 2019 11:53 PM

How does one tell? Is it the arched eyebrow?

by Anonymousreply 54September 20, 2019 12:02 AM

[quote]Why can't Ru Paul get elected president?

He'd do a hell of a lot better in the polls and debates than Pete ButtHowdy.

by Anonymousreply 55September 20, 2019 12:12 AM

What I gather from this is that Pete never read gay media before they started writing about him. I think he's right not to worry about it, but it's a pretty big red flag that he seems surprised by it -- like the gay media is supposed to be a glory hole he can just stick his dick in and get off. (It's more like a mid-30s queen at a bathhouse.)

by Anonymousreply 56September 20, 2019 12:45 AM

Sounds like you're one of the gay media who have turned against him, R53. You're flat out lying when you said that he told a woman that he doesn't need her vote. He went back to South Bend to deal with the fallout of the police shooting (which he didn't cause). He came into the lion's den where people were protesting and decided to yell at him non-stop. He told a woman who was just yelling at him that he's not asking for her vote, he just wants hear her (and others) out. That isn't the same as saying "I don't need your vote." So fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 57September 20, 2019 5:46 PM

Nothing about PB reads as "thin-skinned". Him pushing back on the idea that he's 'not gay enough' is the right thing to do. Most of us don't live our lives as gay stereotypes or caricatures and this just helps remind outlets and the more vocal in our community of that fact.

by Anonymousreply 58September 20, 2019 6:40 PM

Gossip columns like DL have only furthered the strident isolationist perspectives of the SJW/Tumblr/ahole/trans etc. mafia who've invaded "gay media."

Reputable papers like the Washington Blade, Windy City Times, Bay Area Reporter, Dallas Voice, etc., have trans, queer and POC writers, but don't let them dominate editorial stance and coverage. Pete is dismissing objective newspapers when he lumps them in with the extreme cult-of-personality-style rags and websites like Them, etc.

by Anonymousreply 59September 20, 2019 7:17 PM

I get where he's coming from. Many, many of us are just regular dudes who are not walking, talking stereotypes. We're not terribly fashionable, and we're kind of nerdy. The depictions of gay men you see in the media do not really represent this demographic of gay men, but we're everywhere. The resentment Pete feels is justifiable.

by Anonymousreply 60September 20, 2019 7:49 PM

[quote]Many, many of us are just regular dudes who are not walking, talking stereotypes. We're not terribly fashionable, and we're kind of nerdy. The depictions of gay men you see in the media do not really represent this demographic of gay men,

Says the poster who is on all the Judy, Barbra and Liza threads. Praising Jackie Kennedy's beauty, decorum and style too!!! You're not a stereotype at all, R60. LOL

by Anonymousreply 61September 20, 2019 8:58 PM

[quote]Jackie was like a goddess from Mount Olympus. She was sensational after so many years of older matronly First Ladies.

That's a Buttigieg supporter for ya.

by Anonymousreply 62September 20, 2019 9:01 PM

To be fair to the guy, nobody wanted to see Eleanor Roosevelt nakkid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 20, 2019 9:11 PM

[quote] He’s white and not a tranny so the Left hates him.

You are so fucking tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 64September 20, 2019 9:12 PM

Buttigieg dismissing the gay press now is not much different than Buttigieg distancing himself from the gay community for most of his adult life. He really doesn't want to be a part of any of this. He would really rather not. Being gay has been a huge inconvenience for him. I cannot suppose he feels he has anything at all in common with many of us, in all our wonderful diversity.

He only acknowledges that he's stuck with it and, by extension, stuck with us. I suppose he cringes with embarrassment at about half of what he reads in magazine like The Advocate. Data Lounge would curl his hair.

by Anonymousreply 65September 20, 2019 9:27 PM

[quote] Being gay has been a huge inconvenience for him.

Armchair psycho-analysis. Worth every penny we paid for it.

by Anonymousreply 66September 20, 2019 9:30 PM

Pete's right.

They'll try to pigeonhole him as a gay candidate, naturally. They'll come to realize he's not running on identity politics.

He's a superb candidate. I wish him well.

by Anonymousreply 67September 20, 2019 10:18 PM

Is anything more exhausting that people like R65 who were pulled from their mother's rancid cooter sreeching showtunes and yelling gurl this and gurl that who think that every gay man is supposed to be the same way. Get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 68September 20, 2019 10:21 PM

r61 I'm not a finger-snapping fabulous queen. Most of us aren't

by Anonymousreply 69September 20, 2019 10:41 PM

r65 is the queen of projection.

by Anonymousreply 70September 20, 2019 10:52 PM

[Quote] Jackie was like a goddess from Mount Olympus. She was sensational after so many years of older matronly First Ladies.

Chasten will be more fabulous than Jackie. Give the boy a chance. Vote for Pete!

by Anonymousreply 71September 20, 2019 10:58 PM

He played it pretty well, not trying to pander. Of course the knives will be out now.

by Anonymousreply 72September 20, 2019 11:03 PM

[quote]Mayor @petebuttigieg tells @AM2DM that he was having a "grumpy moment" when he criticized LGBTQ media and said his frustration was about coverage that "seems to tell people how to be gay"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 21, 2019 9:31 PM

Loved seeing Chasten shutting down the gay police during Pete's Twitter Q&A today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 24, 2019 12:27 AM

The gay community has no need to apologize for having standards for gay politicians.

by Anonymousreply 75September 24, 2019 12:34 AM

Heh, he got SPANKED, honey.

[quote]Hi, Chasten. I'm sorry—full retraction. Stupid to call out anybody for their music. I love a huge range, much quite questionable, and my affections have nothing to do with race, geography, orientation. The heart just knows. I also think Pete is doing AMAZING job. Best 2U both.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 24, 2019 12:35 AM

Haha, backpedal lil Pete.

by Anonymousreply 77September 24, 2019 12:35 AM

r75 And what standards would those be? A Rhodes scholar Afghanistan veteran who speaks several languages doesn't cut it for you? 🙄

by Anonymousreply 78September 24, 2019 12:36 AM

r77 It's not backpedaling, it's called being gracious and having the self-awareness to admit you might have come across as too harsh now and then.

by Anonymousreply 79September 24, 2019 12:38 AM

Why is he even responding to these freaks? It demeans him to pay them attention. They're not going to vote for him anyway because he's not a freak like them.

by Anonymousreply 80September 24, 2019 12:43 AM

You just can't be a regular gay dude in khakis and a polo shirt anymore. It's too boring. You need to be genderqueer with a feather boa and Clockwork Orange makeup.

by Anonymousreply 81September 24, 2019 12:45 AM

r80 Because he still needs to pick up some delegates in California, which affords them on a proportional basis.

r81 Yes, we normie gays are passé. In the words of the WeHo gay police, "we've had our queerness sucked out of us by the mainstream society." 😂

by Anonymousreply 82September 24, 2019 12:50 AM

If Northeastern politicians can dress like cowboys in Texas and farmers in Iowa, then yes, a politician, especially a gay one, can dress the part when appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 83September 24, 2019 12:50 AM

When was he dressed inappropriately?

by Anonymousreply 84September 24, 2019 12:55 AM

Buttigieg's Complicated Relationship With LGBTQ Media Is Relatable

Trans writer coming to his defence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 24, 2019 3:01 PM

Trans op/ed translated from transese:

"I, I, I, me, I watched, I get, I, I, I, I don't read gay media either, I, me, my.."

She's like that stuttering angel in 'Angels in America.'

by Anonymousreply 86September 26, 2019 6:38 PM

Has Pete ever worked for a living, like in a real job NOT on the public payroll?

by Anonymousreply 87September 26, 2019 6:49 PM

Being a Mayor is a real job, dickwad.

by Anonymousreply 88September 26, 2019 6:56 PM

r87 That information can easily be found online. He worked as a consultant for McKinsey for two years or so. A gig he left to run for a shittier-paying mayoral job, and then took an unpaid leave to serve in the military. More than you have done, I presume.

And you say "public payroll" like all federal, state, and municipal employees/contractors - from garbage collectors to librarians - are leeches, sucking on your personal teat. Eight years of being a mayor obviously hasn't paid that well, since he's still paying off his student debt, even though he has no children.

by Anonymousreply 89September 26, 2019 6:58 PM

This thread shows why mayor Pete will never be president.

Like myself, Mayor Pete is Post Gay

by Anonymousreply 90September 26, 2019 7:03 PM

Perhaps in your world Mary r88 but a 'career' on the public payroll does not come under most working people's idea of a real job.

by Anonymousreply 91September 26, 2019 7:16 PM

Can all the gays just hold hands and sing Kumbaya? This will bring world peace.

by Anonymousreply 92September 26, 2019 8:06 PM

R82 Well said!

by Anonymousreply 93September 26, 2019 8:18 PM

Can't you just be a nerdy guy in preppy clothes who isn't "fabulous" and who just happens to fuck other guys? What's wrong with that?

by Anonymousreply 94September 26, 2019 8:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!