Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Blackface #3: Guardian Reports Video Of Trudeau Blackface Confirmed

Three in less than 24 hours. How many hours until his resignation?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89September 19, 2019 9:54 PM

So Canada is going to fall into deplorable hands again for the next decade or so, huh? Well, it was fun while it lasted.

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2019 1:59 PM

Link to Global News which published the video.

It’s bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2019 2:01 PM

Does he resign by the end of the day? No way he weathers three including a video. Disgraceful.

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2019 2:03 PM

Always knew Canada was racist. Not surprised at all.

Wonder what Obama thinks of this? Hum!

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2019 2:09 PM

That's such a shame. He's a good guy.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2019 2:10 PM

By all means, force out someone who did stupid racist stuff as a young person so that way you can get an ACTUAL racist into office instead.

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2019 2:11 PM

So would you prefer someone who acts one way in public and is the opposite in private, or someone who's terrible upfront but you know which way you stand with them?

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2019 2:18 PM

As the leader of a country, R7? You're kidding right?

Someone who wore blackface for parties or gags when in his teens and 20s but who isn't racist now that he's leading a country is a LOT better than some "upfront" racist.

You honestly think it's better to have a racist who is going to push for racist laws and be racist when appointing members of government because at least he's being "upfront"?? Bitch PLEASE

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2019 2:20 PM

I wonder if this came out when he refused to do something...

by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2019 2:25 PM

He did it all as a young man. Over. Done.

Let kids act like kids. The cost of these modern Search and Destroy mission is entirely too high.

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2019 2:26 PM

Pogo was right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2019 2:27 PM

If he was 19...no problem...he was 29, that is a problem for me. Shows what an immature fool he is. He's probably still acting like a teenager.

But I'm not surprised, I know many 50 year olds who still behave like they are in their 20s.

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2019 2:27 PM

Is it really necessary to start a new thread for each new incident? We had a perfectly fine thread on this already.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2019 2:27 PM

Has he made statements in the past slamming Trump for being racist etc?

LOL.

Not surprised. another scum politician.

by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2019 2:29 PM

Yes R13. This is a major scandal that your little thread doesn’t cover.

by Anonymousreply 15September 19, 2019 2:29 PM

It's the same scandal R15, this is a video that's from a decade earlier than the 2001 photo and there isn't really much confirmation about it. Trudeau's spokesperson seems to have thought the video was about the 2001 incident, and not a new video from the early 1990s. The person who shot the video won't confirm it's Trudeau.

by Anonymousreply 16September 19, 2019 2:31 PM

HIS OWN ADMINISTRATION CONFIRMED IT, MORON.

by Anonymousreply 17September 19, 2019 2:36 PM

Stop being an all-caps bitch. The Liberal member who confirmed it referred to the Wednesday news which was about the photo, which calls into question whether they even realized it was a "new" example.

It's not new though, it's a decade older than the 2001 example. It's in the article at R2. Read it.

[quote]A senior member of the Liberal campaign confirmed it was Trudeau early Thursday morning but would not comment further, simply referring Global News back to Trudeau’s comments on the matter from Wednesday evening.

by Anonymousreply 18September 19, 2019 2:38 PM

You’re all trying really hard.

He’s actually performing racism. Whether you like it or not.

His career is OVER, you dumb cunts.

by Anonymousreply 19September 19, 2019 2:39 PM

[quote]So would you prefer someone who acts one way in public and is the opposite in private, or someone who's terrible upfront but you know which way you stand with them?

You trumpkins are crazy pieces of work.

by Anonymousreply 20September 19, 2019 2:41 PM

[quote]He did it all as a young man. Over. Done. Let kids act like kids. The cost of these modern Search and Destroy mission is entirely too high.

Does that apply to Brett Kavanaugh too?

by Anonymousreply 21September 19, 2019 2:45 PM

Yashar Ali tweets:

If you’re surprised by all the Trudeau blackface stuff you haven’t been paying attention to him.

by Anonymousreply 22September 19, 2019 2:48 PM

Digging up PC crap on someone from years ago is downright evil. They're crucifying people of today with current sensibilities for unintended things that did during yesteryear. They could do it to any one of us and we'd all be guilty - especially the people that are conducting these witch-hunts.

by Anonymousreply 23September 19, 2019 2:49 PM

You should all watch the video. It's at R2, only a couple seconds long, and everyone shown is in costume with some kind of painted face. I know our resident Trudeau haters want this to be "This is it!" but it looks like footage from stupid college skits, and he's already apologized for doing stupid college skits, so I'm really not understanding why this is supposedly a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 24September 19, 2019 2:49 PM

I'd like to know, where is the enjoyment in wearing black face. WTF. He put a lot of effort into it, he even did his arms. What is the psychology behind it? I understand he was young... but still.

by Anonymousreply 25September 19, 2019 2:49 PM

Exactly, r23. They don't mind someone being racist right now, but a liberal who did something racist in 1994 must be shunned, forced out of office and maybe executed.

by Anonymousreply 26September 19, 2019 2:50 PM

[quote]Does that apply to Brett Kavanaugh too?

Sexual assault is ethically the same as wearing a racist costume?

by Anonymousreply 27September 19, 2019 2:52 PM

Stay the course Justin and don't let the PC hatemongers win!

by Anonymousreply 28September 19, 2019 2:52 PM

[quote]it looks like footage from stupid college skits, and he's already apologized for doing stupid college skits, so I'm really not understanding why this is supposedly a big deal.

It's not like he was doing this in 1950. Society was already very enlightened about this by the time he was a young man. It has to say something about his soul.

by Anonymousreply 29September 19, 2019 2:55 PM

R25 I was just gonna post the same thing. This fool covered his WHOLE body. haha. WHY? I just don't get the gag. And to go through all that trouble? In my teens and 20s I barely had the energy to dress up for Halloween with a little zombie make up on my face. SMH.

by Anonymousreply 30September 19, 2019 2:56 PM

[quote]They don't mind someone being racist right now, but a liberal who did something racist in 1994 must be shunned, forced out of office and maybe executed.

When a 1984 photo of Gov. Ralph Northam (D-VA) in blackface surfaced earlier this year, Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, Kirsten Gillibrand, Cory Booker, Julian Castro, ex-VA governor Terry McAuliffe and the NAACP all called for him to resign. Is it your contention that they "don't mind someone being racist right now"?

by Anonymousreply 31September 19, 2019 2:57 PM

[quote]It has to say something about his soul.

Oh brother!

by Anonymousreply 32September 19, 2019 2:58 PM

Are we sure it isn't just a nice tan?

by Anonymousreply 33September 19, 2019 3:00 PM

R31, stop trolling. I didn't say anything about any of those people you listed, or even about Democrats in general.

The people digging these things up aren't Democrats or liberals anyway, they're right-wingers who are trying to take out a liberal prime minister. These people do not care about actual racists, they simply want to use something like this from the past to get rid of the competition.

by Anonymousreply 34September 19, 2019 3:01 PM

Rationalizing and apologizing for racists/racism. Hypocrites, the lotta yas!

by Anonymousreply 35September 19, 2019 3:03 PM

That's not blackface. And I should know!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 19, 2019 3:03 PM

[quote]Society was already very enlightened about this by the time he was a young man.

Blackface was still popular when I was a kid and I'm exactly his age. The Jazz Singer, Silver Streak, Billy Crystal as Sammy Davis Jr, Trading Places, those were all in the 1980s. And when Ted Danson did blackface in the mid 1990s it was a tabloid dust-up but certainly didn't ruin his career.

by Anonymousreply 37September 19, 2019 3:04 PM

Some of you were apparently in your white guy bubble in the '90s and '00s. Blackface was NOT okay then.

by Anonymousreply 38September 19, 2019 3:08 PM

R37 What are you babbling about?

Blackface was not "popular" in the 1980s.

In "The Jazz Singer" blackface was part of the story line.

And Billy Crytal has heavily criticized for the Sammy Davis Jr, impersonation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 19, 2019 3:11 PM

[quote]This fool covered his WHOLE body. haha. WHY?

Because it sexually excited him. That's why.

by Anonymousreply 40September 19, 2019 3:12 PM

*Billy Crystal

by Anonymousreply 41September 19, 2019 3:12 PM

When he was in HIGH SCHOOL, for Chrissakes. More "open minded" people eating their own. Lovely.

by Anonymousreply 42September 19, 2019 3:13 PM

Justin comes from a country club background. Who knows what they get up to in those places.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 19, 2019 3:16 PM

[quote]In "The Jazz Singer" blackface was part of the story line.

Not sure what your point is, but it was part of the storyline for all of the movies listed. Actually the plot was the same in all of them: a black guy put blackface on his white friend as a disguise.

SNL must not have gotten much criticism because Crystal was also in blackface for a "Negro Leagues" sketch, and Christopher Guest was in brownface as an Indian a few times too.

Other examples are a couple of members of UB40 who were in blackface in their videos, Natasha Lyonne in blackface 24 Hour Party People, Angelina Jolie in A Mighty Heart... these are just off the top of my head.

Screaming about Trudeau in blackface in the 1990s and as late as 2001 when every example was for a costume of some sort is ridiculous. None of you were boycotting Angelina Jolie. None of you scream that SNL should be canceled.

by Anonymousreply 44September 19, 2019 3:18 PM

If he resigns quickly, he’s young enough to make a comeback. Right now, he’s giving Canada a black eye, so to speak.

by Anonymousreply 45September 19, 2019 3:19 PM

[quote]By all means, force out someone who did stupid racist stuff as a young person so that way you can get an ACTUAL racist into office instead.

If his opponent also has done blackface, it will come out

by Anonymousreply 46September 19, 2019 3:22 PM

Granted, I am not condoning the behavior but we have all done stupid things in our youth....you shouldn't have to be punished for life. Your actions of the present and reasonable past should dictate who you are as a person now.

by Anonymousreply 47September 19, 2019 3:25 PM

[quote]you shouldn't have to be punished for life.

The problem is that he hasn’t been punished yet at all.

by Anonymousreply 48September 19, 2019 3:27 PM

R48 this was in the past and in his youth. What do you think is an appropriate punishment for him? Do you bite your nose off inspite of your face... None of us have a perfect past.

by Anonymousreply 49September 19, 2019 3:29 PM

24 is typically considered the age wisdom and end of youth when your personality becomes set, and that's basically who you will be the rest of your life. Unless that person is really immature.

by Anonymousreply 50September 19, 2019 3:31 PM

Also, was there ill intent?? Or, just a stupid thing to do?

by Anonymousreply 51September 19, 2019 3:31 PM

R50 WTF! None of that is true. End of youth at 24?! lmao.

by Anonymousreply 52September 19, 2019 3:32 PM

“Someone who wore blackface for parties or gags when in his teens and 20s but who isn't racist now“

lol

by Anonymousreply 53September 19, 2019 3:33 PM

Look at the motive and intent....was it done to cause harm or make fun of black people....albeit not good but what was the reason why??

by Anonymousreply 54September 19, 2019 3:36 PM

This is just a smear campaign, just like Hillary's emails. When conservatives do much worse, though, it's swept under the rug.

by Anonymousreply 55September 19, 2019 3:38 PM

I don’t know if he’s racist now.

by Anonymousreply 56September 19, 2019 3:40 PM

Yes, R21. Brett Kavanaugh, too. It always does if the offensive acts were done when the offender was young and they are absent from the offender's adult life. There are some exceptions when the acts point to mental illness. The animal torture perpetrated by Mike Huckabee's sons is an example. Those kids ain't right.

If you find that view controversial, you are either ignorant of the world around you or you are insane.

Kavanaugh's adult actions, including his responses to his youthful actions, are relevant. His youthful actions, if truly left behind in his youth, are not. Fortunately, Kavanaugh's adult actions are sufficiently dishonest that you didn't need to raise this red herring in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 57September 19, 2019 3:43 PM

r52, I suspect what r50 means is that the prefrontal cortex of the brain, which develops during adolescence and is associated with maturity (and thus impacts decision-making, guilt, etc.), is fully developed by age 25.

by Anonymousreply 58September 19, 2019 3:43 PM

For God's sake people need to chill...Trudeau is NOT racist

by Anonymousreply 59September 19, 2019 3:44 PM

Ah yes. The purity spiral. That idiot Trudeau will not be the last hapless jackass it takes out of the game. The insanity that passes for "liberalism" now will eat itself, just have to wait it out and maybe sanity will return.

by Anonymousreply 60September 19, 2019 3:44 PM

Does anyone else get the feeling that these photos were released because Trudeau refused to do something and/or he just got tired of being blackmailed?

It’s odd that these photos of Trudeau are only turning up now after he’s been a professional politician for several years.

by Anonymousreply 61September 19, 2019 3:55 PM

[quote]Look at the motive and intent....was it done to cause harm or make fun of black people....albeit not good but what was the reason why??

What other motive could there have been? It's racism. Not political, but something more obsessive?

by Anonymousreply 62September 19, 2019 4:01 PM

Get real

Black face in Canada; like “Dating in Europe,” ain’t serious.

by Anonymousreply 63September 19, 2019 4:13 PM

R62, of course not knowing all, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt based on his current beliefs - I don't think he is a racist, I just think he did something really stupid.

by Anonymousreply 64September 19, 2019 4:13 PM

We live in a time where people have to absolutely nitpick to get their knickers in a twist.

by Anonymousreply 65September 19, 2019 4:17 PM

Truly much ado about nothing.

And yet at the same time, Brett Kavanaugh can stick his dick anywhere he feels like it and gets a standing ovation from the Republican Party.

by Anonymousreply 66September 19, 2019 4:19 PM

Bygones.

by Anonymousreply 67September 19, 2019 4:23 PM

Can’t we come up with some kind of a cut off. If it is over 20 or 25 years ago or whatever number seems to be appropriate, and it is appropriately noted and condemned, it doesn’t/shouldn’t have to be automatically career ending or treated the same as if it had happened in the recent past. If you do something completely stupid as a youth and don’t then go onto repeat that behavior later on, can we just condemn it and move on? We have a statute of limitations for crimes, how about one for stupid idiotic behavior too.

by Anonymousreply 68September 19, 2019 4:39 PM

As R6 said:

[quote]By all means, force out someone who did stupid racist stuff as a young person so that way you can get an ACTUAL racist into office instead.

by Anonymousreply 69September 19, 2019 4:42 PM

Leave Justin alone. He apologized. He didn’t do it maliciously.

by Anonymousreply 70September 19, 2019 5:34 PM

There always was something too perfect about Trudeau's image.

by Anonymousreply 71September 19, 2019 5:48 PM

And I wrote my post at r71 in full acknowledgment and agreement that with maturity comes enlightenment that causes us to change our beliefs and behaviors.

And yes, alt-right assholes, I'm consistent that I apply that to some Repubs, too.

by Anonymousreply 72September 19, 2019 5:50 PM

The knee jerk reactions are truly pathetic. People don't have an ounce of common sense and whip themselves up into frenzies of political correctness. The Arabian Nights theme at the private school was put on because the teachers admired this piece of literature. Trudeau didn't dress as Aladdin to make fun of the character and Arabs in general. If he were racist, he wouldn't have people of colour in his cabinet. Just because white actors in old American films would put on blackface to deliberately portray blacks in the U.S. as dim witted, lazy, superstitious, happy-go-lucky, etc., people assume anyone in blackface or brownface is doing exactly the same thing. Trudeau's father was famous because he was prime minister of Canada. He was often interviewed after his political career ended because he was an intelligent man. His son would not deliberately do anything that he knew was offensive because it would come back to bite him. How far does political correctness go? Is it now offensive for whites to have a costume party with an Arabian Nights theme and dress in the way they imagined the characters dressed without using brownface or blackface? I hope none of you watched "I Dream of Jeannie" because that makes you racist. I'm pretty sure I saw part of an old Judy Garland film where she was dressed in blackface along with other actors and they did a musical number whose intent was clearly to make fun of blacks. Surely you can't forgive Garland for doing that. Trudeau was doing nothing of the sort.

This is the correct answer. Don't bother to contradict me because that makes you a politically correct twit.

by Anonymousreply 73September 19, 2019 6:32 PM

Oh dear. Judy was worse than Hitler. I agree this is offensive but common at the time the film was made.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 19, 2019 6:40 PM

Daylight come and Trudeau go home.

by Anonymousreply 75September 19, 2019 7:18 PM

Any liberals that are ok with this are doing what the idiot Trump fans do.

Its wrong, and if he resigns better for the party.

by Anonymousreply 76September 19, 2019 7:26 PM

The whole world is aping the US now.

by Anonymousreply 77September 19, 2019 7:38 PM

Is this common among white Canadians? Joni Mitchell has indulged in blackface in the past as well, including on an album cover (Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, 1977) From the horse's mouth: “When I see black men sitting, I have a tendency to go — like I nod like I’m a brother,” she told New York magazine. “I really feel an affinity because I have experienced being a black guy on several occasions” (2015).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 19, 2019 7:44 PM

just wondering, is black face not known in Canada? or was it not known back in the 90s and early 2000s?

I'm a millennial American. The first time I heard of black face was in the early 90s with that Ted Danson fiasco. Then I don't remember it being in the news much until the 2000s when some dumb celebs here and there were caught doing it.

My thing is, even at the age of 5/6, I knew it was not acceptable, even if I didn't know the term for it. I remember the public outrage about Ted Danson.

Is Canada different? or Trudeau is just an ignorant racist?

by Anonymousreply 79September 19, 2019 7:47 PM

The only annoying thing about OP photo is all those icky stinkfish!

So what if Justin wants to be a chocolate?

by Anonymousreply 80September 19, 2019 7:52 PM

"Its wrong, and if he resigns better for the party."

Yeah if he'd done it last week. But to persecute a good strong leader for something he did decades ago in high school in a very different time is just insane.

Retro outrage. Next up, Child Abuse Outrage for Linda Blair in "The Exorcist". Hey, who cares if it was 1972.

by Anonymousreply 81September 19, 2019 8:01 PM

[quote]just wondering, is black face not known in Canada? or was it not known back in the 90s and early 2000s? I'm a millennial American. The first time I heard of black face was in the early 90s with that Ted Danson fiasco. Then I don't remember it being in the news much until the 2000s when some dumb celebs here and there were caught doing it. My thing is, even at the age of 5/6, I knew it was not acceptable, even if I didn't know the term for it. I remember the public outrage about Ted Danson. Is Canada different? or Trudeau is just an ignorant racist?

As someone mentioned on the other thread, what about Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder? Not exactly an obscure performance.

by Anonymousreply 82September 19, 2019 8:11 PM

Idk where this myth that Canadians are so nice and kind came from, they're just like americans but with ouuuts and aboots.

by Anonymousreply 83September 19, 2019 8:31 PM

The majority of Canada is trash with areas that are akin the US coasts. Thanks to Trudeau’s let everyone in immigration policy, the country is full of Muslims, Asians and every person from a backwards country. They vote conservative. Liberals have shot themselves in the foot. It’s like all the Latinos in the US who are social conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 84September 19, 2019 8:39 PM

He should run for office in Australia, he’d win hands down.

Here are a group of doctors performing in blackface in front of Harry Connick Jr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 19, 2019 8:51 PM

Yes R74, Judy was worse than Hitler. That photo is offensive. Blackface in old films is offensive. And who in the fuck brings up 80 year old Judy Garland movies but a super elder gay delegate to cluelessness? That others did it in times gone by is not a defense to a wealthy white boy's cultural appropriation and racist mocking in the 21st century. Not one who is a world leader. I don't think Trudeau should step down for it, but as leader of the Liberal party, his career is over after the election. Everyone in Canada realizes this. He's revealed himself to be an elitist twat who spouts progressive rhetoric, while he squashes democracy and parties with oligarchs. I don't want any more fascist leaders and I hate that the "progressive" NDP is going to make capital on this. But what Trudeau did is not nothing, and not harmless. He is right to apologize immediately and at least he knows this. His apology is sincere. But it's not his first time being caught behaving very different in private than the lisping super liberal her pretends to be as a leader. He's a bit of an empty shell but his policies are good and that might matter more. Still he says one thing and then attempts to circumvent democracy while he parties with Oligarchs. Just cuz he parades with all the gays doesn't make him perfect.

This is a pretty minor thing in the scheme of things and it's well in the past. But in context of Canada's six week election cycle and Trudeau's other scandals - it is disastrous. No one should deny that it is both racist and cultural appropriation, regardless of intent. Do you like it when straight actors lisped and minced around with weak wrists in mockery of what they think a gay person acts like? That's not harmless humor OR homage. There's contempt behind it. Trudeau is completely wrong to have dressed this way in the nineties or yesterday. THREE TIMES. Canadians will see through the smear campaign because this information can't be new. Canada is full of immigrants in the most densely populated areas. That translates to seats lost in the liberal strongholds. They don't need a lot of persuading to vote conservative. It's like the tower of Babel has come to predict the end of times. Except it's just plain old fascists capitalizing on racial and religious hate, same as before. Except it's everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 86September 19, 2019 9:15 PM

It was not common and known to be racist in 1994. Danson got away with it because Whoopi screamed and yelled it was ok because he was fucking her and she said it was ok. But it was really looked down on. Tropic Thunder was satire of a dumbass actor thinking he could know what a black man goes through and play one and the satire made it not as offensive. Treudeau has no excuses. Not in 1994.

by Anonymousreply 87September 19, 2019 9:38 PM

If it’s wrong, it’s wrong.

I see lots of excuses for Trudeau here. It’s okay because Canadians aren’t mean to their brown people. It’s okay because he was younger then. It’s okay because he’s not really racist. It’s not fair to release this before an election, it’s playing dirty.

by Anonymousreply 88September 19, 2019 9:43 PM

Yes R88. It is wrong. It was wrong. But it's not who Trudeau is today. In the US you can be an active racist with strong ties to all the worst players and still get elected. The Libs are going to have to play dirty now. Expose or imply who the real racists, regressives, and hatemongers are in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 89September 19, 2019 9:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!