Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The foulest ingredient? Weigh in on a DL subject by an obvious DLer at the Grauniad.

‘Okra is the most foul thing ever grown’: chefs on their most hated ingredients. What's yours?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 19, 2019 2:07 PM

Seafood, purely because of the smell. I used to live in a town by the sea. Summer was the worst. Everywhere smelt like rancid minge. x

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2019 10:46 AM

[quote]The French like to nibble the outer leaves (of artichokes), but you have to put them in iced lemon-water as you peel them off or they go a cacky-brown.

They really spell "khaki" that way in England?

by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2019 10:46 AM

Ha, I used to hate okra as a child. It was my absolute nightmare. Now I think it's good when pickled.

At present, what I hate most is any kind of savoury jelly - aspic and the kind. It's just revolting.

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2019 10:51 AM

Hard-boiled eggs have no reason to live.

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2019 10:53 AM

Agree: okra, fennel, octopus and any relative

Disagree: aubergine, foraged greens.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2019 10:55 AM

r2 Cack is an English word for shit. It has nothing to do with khaki.

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2019 11:12 AM

More of that glorious English English. Thanks, r6.

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2019 11:15 AM

raw sprouts. They taste like bleach smells.

And Olives of any kind.

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2019 1:03 PM

Asafoetida.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2019 1:04 PM

I had a friend who couldn't stand the taste of olive oil. But she was also one of those "anti-mushroom people".

I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2019 1:09 PM

Mushrooms smell like cum and bleach.

by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2019 1:17 PM

Mushrooms do not smell like cum and bleach. Do you have some kind of disease?

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2019 1:21 PM

Mushrooms are awful. Olive OIL is good, olives are not. And agree about the disgusting-ness of okra.

by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2019 1:22 PM

Persimmons are probably the most disgusting fruit grown.

by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2019 1:26 PM

Olives, green, black....no

by Anonymousreply 15September 19, 2019 1:38 PM

It cracks me up when when people talk about how a fruit or vegetable is "disgusting" or "gross", yet they happily eat the processed flesh and sinew of dead animals.

by Anonymousreply 16September 19, 2019 1:41 PM

I like okra just fine. But, I'm like Nigella Lawson, and am happy to avoid green peppers. I usually don't bother sampling Cajun food because of them.

by Anonymousreply 17September 19, 2019 1:44 PM

Chicken doesn't taste like sweet puke, R16.

by Anonymousreply 18September 19, 2019 1:45 PM

Cilantro.

by Anonymousreply 19September 19, 2019 2:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!