Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Peter Murphy considered a sex symbol?

I don't have a good gauge on this as I was born in 1990— was he considered a sex symbol in the '80s, at least to the goth crowd? Super skinny androgynous guys aren't normally my type, but I find him incredibly attractive. It's partly his looks (those cheekbones!), but maybe even more, his deep baritone voice. He is the only person on the planet whose singing voice has literally given me a boner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2019 7:53 AM

Definitely.

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2019 6:15 AM

Peter showing his ass in the '80s. It was a lot rounder than I'd expected given how scrawny he was back in the day--quite nice. His thighs were also a lot hairier than I would have thought.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2019 6:20 AM

Oh honey neither Bauhaus nor Murphy were very popular. Smattering of fans may have found him a sex symbol.

Couldn't you link directly to the damned video, considering you are young and should know how?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2019 6:21 AM

I am a Luddite millennial R3, hence why I am listening to Bauhaus in 2019.

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2019 6:25 AM

God I hope not. What’s going on here! Who is that strung out meth addict in OP’s picture? Sex symbol? He has a face only a mother could love, and from what I understand, she gave a hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2019 6:27 AM

R5 is on meth. Peter was beautiful. He was just far too weird to appeal to normies the way that someone like Bruce Springsteen did. Bauhaus was a fringe goth band, but they definitely have a well-earned, ardent cult following.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2019 6:39 AM

Most people alive then weren't even aware of his existence, but was he considered a sex symbol among his acolytes?

Probably.

Weirdos abound in every era.

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2019 7:44 AM

He was a stunningly beautiful man. Those Indigo Eyes...

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2019 7:46 AM

He had a heart attack last month, but apparently recovered. I remember he was busted for meth some years ago, and at that time he was in his 50s I believe. I found it very strange. The article says he was hospitalized in New York; the last I heard he had converted to Islam and was living in Turkey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2019 7:50 AM

At Medusa's in Chicago in 1987, absolutely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2019 7:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!