Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Former Bush staffer urges 'fellow Latinos' to vote Trump 'out of office'

09/18/19

A former staffer in the George W. Bush administration wrote an op-ed in The Washington Post on Wednesday urging his "fellow Latinos" to vote President Trump out of office in 2020.

"I am a Republican. I worked in the George W. Bush White House," Abel Guerra wrote in the op-ed. "And I say to my fellow Latinos: I’m not asking you to become a Democrat. But I am asking you to vote President Trump out of office."

"Republicans have lost control of the monster they helped create. Trump hasn’t changed," he continued.

"From day one, Trump spewed his white-supremacist views, promising to halt the invasion of immigrants and spurring a rhetoric of resentment and retaliation against the 'other.' No matter our background, we have been vilified as invaders, marked as illegal and degraded as subhuman. The silence from prominent Republicans is deafening," he wrote.

Guerra highlighted last month's shooting in El Paso, Texas, where 22 people died and dozens more were injured, saying that it "was the inevitable outcome of 30 straight months of hate speech coming from the White House."

Patrick Wood Crusius, the alleged gunman, drove eight hours from the Dallas-Fort Worth area to El Paso, which is directly across the border from Mexico’s Ciudad Juárez and has a high concentration of Hispanic people.

Authorities have investigated Crusius in connection to a racist, anti-immigrant manifesto posted online before the attack that described fears of a Latino "invasion."

Many have pointed to similarities between Trump's immigration rhetoric and the phrases in the alleged manifesto, though the White House has distanced the president from the incident.

"The shooting isn’t just a tragedy, it’s a massacre, a direct hit against our community," Guerra wrote in his op-ed Wednesday.

"As Hispanics, we need to get more voters registered and to the polls. We need to understand that our votes matters, more than ever. A vote against Trump is a stand for human freedom and a future where America is again known for its ideals and not ignorance," he added.

Guerra ended his op-ed by calling on Republicans to "dust off their moral compass and remember what they stand for — and what they stand against."

Trump won 28 percent of the Hispanic vote in 2016 presidential election based on exit polls, which compared favorably to 2012 GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney’s 27 percent.

Hispanics are expected to make up roughly 13 percent of eligible voters in the 2020, according to an analysis by the Pew Research Center, making them the largest ethnic or racial minority group in the electorate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2019 2:11 PM

This is HUGE!!! I mean HUGE!!!

A former staffer of Bush [Who himself did not vote for Trump in 2016] is urging his fellow Latinos to vote Trump out of office.

Totally game changer

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2019 1:49 AM

FUCK any Hispanics that vote for Trump! I come from a family of Latino Immigrants ( legal) that came to the U.S. in the 60's and we spit in the direction of anything even resembling Trump. I literally do not comprehend the mass delusion mindset overtaking some Hispanics that believe the Trump administration line of " We'll welcome and Cherish immigrants as long as their Legal." . LIES. The entire MAGA cult is Racist, Xenophobic, and HATEFUL. I'm convinced that the Immigrants who are swayed by Trump are low I.Q. denizens who want to feel *special* and distinct by separating themselves out from tjeir illegal bretheren. They'll be next on the chopping block.

by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2019 2:04 AM

So far as I know, Trump has no beef with legal Latino immigrants, who wait in line to get into the U.S., like all other potential immigrants around the world.

Border jumpers are a problem anywhere. Without proper border controls, smuggling of drugs, child slaves, or whatever go unchecked.

Trump may be harsh in his rhetoric, but the concerns are real.

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2019 3:45 AM

R3, of course there need to be rules & laws that everyone follows and people who are violent need to face the legal consequences.

What this former Bush staffer and many others object to is the way Trump has used racially divisive rhetoric to stir up the racists across the U.S.

Ana Navarro was on CNN last night saying the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2019 3:49 AM

[quote]Trump may be harsh in his rhetoric, but the concerns are real.

Please. As though Trump has any actual "concerns" beyond graft and lining his pockets. You are seriously deluded.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2019 3:50 AM

R5, Trump takes no salary as president and he's estimated taking the office could cost him millions.

Unlike the typical lifelong government worker Democratic candidate who expects to cash in bigtime from his or her "service."

What was the cost of the Obama's little Martha's Vineyard getaway? Earned how?

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2019 4:03 AM

You have an o at the end of your name so you must vote for unlimited illegal immigration.

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2019 4:05 AM

r6 how much are we paying for tRUmp to golf all the time? He is promoting his resorts and making a profit off them.

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2019 4:12 AM

R6 - why would he take a salary? It's a drop in the bucket compared to what he's grifting out of the government.

by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2019 5:13 AM

r9, Republicans use money to gain power, Democrats use power to gain money.

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2019 6:53 AM

This thread went straight down the shitter.

by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2019 1:52 PM

My husband is Latino and prior to tRump, he would bust my balls saying he was going to vote for whoever the Republican candidate was at the time. I knew he was joking. But in 2016, he did NOT kid me once about voting for tRump and despises the man probably more than I do, which is no easy feat..

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2019 2:08 PM

[quote]Trump takes no salary as president and he's estimated taking the office could cost him millions.

And if we've learned anything in the past two years, it's that Trump always tells the truth!

by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2019 2:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!