Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Help

Haven’t dated in a while. Dude was intriguing at first but now I realize we are not a good match. How do I break this off and allow him to save face? I don’t dislike him, we are just not compatible.

by Anonymousreply 36September 20, 2019 2:53 PM

Tell him that. Be empathetic if he's disappointed. Your post is one of the better let downs I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2019 1:24 AM

Fake your own death.

by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2019 1:27 AM

I've been in his situation and appreciated the honesty R1 suggests. "Sorry, I just don't feel we're compatible."

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2019 1:28 AM

Just ghost him. It's the new normal.

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2019 1:32 AM

Do NOT ghost. It's immature and more hurtful than the actual rejection.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2019 1:40 AM

Post-It!

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2019 1:41 AM

I’m not going to ghost. I want to let him down gently.

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2019 1:42 AM

Tell him what you think. Be honest. It doesn't sound like you want to tear him down. When it comes down to it, if it's not going to work, it's as good for him to move on as it is to you.

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2019 1:47 AM

Meet him for coffee. You can pull the old passive-aggressive “Where do you think this is going?”. Or you can dive under the table with the “It’s not you, it’s me”. Seems like you just want to deal with it.

So tell him. Tell him three objectively good qualities you see in him. Tell him you don’t think you’re a good fit romantically. Then, one of you should leave.

by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2019 1:53 AM

R9 cradles her mug.

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2019 1:56 AM

R10 You’ve been dumped a lot, I can tell.

by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2019 2:00 AM

We have a date scheduled for Friday. We have only had one date before.

The issue is he wants to be tested constantly whereas I am the type of person who only wants to talk to you constantly if I know you intimately.

Do I owe him an in-person or should I break our date?

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2019 2:02 AM

At this point I'd meet him in person for the scheduled date, be honest, then leave.

by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2019 2:07 AM

Just be kind - it doesn’t cost anything.

by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2019 2:07 AM

Personally I wouldn’t want to look forward to a date only to be dumped when I’m there. You could save him the time. But don’t do it by text or email.

by Anonymousreply 15September 19, 2019 2:09 AM

That’s what I’m thinking too r15.

by Anonymousreply 16September 19, 2019 2:11 AM

Take a new lover. Send old lover a sex tape of you and the new lover.

by Anonymousreply 17September 19, 2019 2:13 AM

R12 Do it in person. Consider it practice. Its like going to the gym: you’re building skills. Otherwise you’re avoiding a conflict that may just exist in your mind.

Learning how to end it is a good skill to acquire.

by Anonymousreply 18September 19, 2019 2:18 AM

You might have to be firm about this not being a match. I tried to be nice to a guy I wasn't interested in and he took that as a sign I might warm up and change my mind. He called for months until I finally told him it wouldn't work out. He sounded surprised and sent me a nasty text for leading him on. But he did stop texting me.

by Anonymousreply 19September 19, 2019 2:25 AM

Just tell him "Something suddenly came up."

by Anonymousreply 20September 19, 2019 2:27 AM

Lol @ r20

by Anonymousreply 21September 19, 2019 2:45 AM

The classic "You're a nice guy...but" always creates hard feelings, but...there is no civilized alternative.

by Anonymousreply 22September 19, 2019 7:14 AM

Just say you're incompatible. Just don't offer to be friends.

by Anonymousreply 23September 19, 2019 9:01 AM

Just say: I'm sorry to say this but I don't feel the connection with you I like to feel. It's disappointing to me but it's where I find myself and I don't want to waste your time or mine so I wanted to show you the respect of being clear about it now. You're probably feeling the same thing (which whether he is or isn't, this leaves him a dignified out. If he takes it, home free, if he says but I'm not feeling that follow up with: That's the frustrating part and I'm sorry, but it's just not happening for me. I should go. Good luck. (and then get out fast.)

by Anonymousreply 24September 19, 2019 10:45 AM

Does being with him make your dick hard? If so, manage the rest of his behavior and let him know what you want and what you don't want. I've had fucks like this, and they're easy to manage if you turn it into an every-Sunday-night fuck (or whatever works for you), with no other contact.

by Anonymousreply 25September 19, 2019 11:24 AM

I don’t roll that way r25. I’m either all in or all out.

by Anonymousreply 26September 19, 2019 11:37 AM

The it's not you it's me bit is pretty horrible. Just speak on the phone with him live and say the truth We're not compatible. Not a big deal. Honest direct and not unkind. No point in getting together

by Anonymousreply 27September 19, 2019 11:47 AM

I don't see anything wrong with a text break up. You only went on one date with him. Just get it over with. You;ll feel much better with no anxiety lingering.

by Anonymousreply 28September 19, 2019 11:57 AM

I think its shittier to have dinner with someone and then discover at the end that your intention was to kick me to the curb as soon aas the check arrived. To find out that the whole evening you were planning to drop a bombshell. Thats worse then an 'I'm not into you' text. a text is less humiliating.

by Anonymousreply 29September 19, 2019 12:05 PM

I delivered the message via text. Will keep y’all updated.

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2019 2:17 AM

I was straight up and he pretty much understood. Thanks, DL.

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2019 11:29 AM

He probably did a happy dance, r31/OP, at the thought of not having to be with you ever again.

by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2019 11:36 AM

You’re so kind and appealing, r32.

by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2019 12:11 PM

If you’ve only had one date, I would send him a text. There’s not much invested at this point. I would hate to get all excited about my date only to get dumped. That happened to be once, it sucked.

by Anonymousreply 34September 20, 2019 12:21 PM

[quote] How do I break this off and allow him to save face?

OP, are you Asian?

by Anonymousreply 35September 20, 2019 12:24 PM

White, r35

by Anonymousreply 36September 20, 2019 2:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!