Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's be Political Pablum

I'm the phrase "working families."

WTF does "working families" mean, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 16September 24, 2019 2:43 PM

Single Mothers = Sluts

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2019 12:24 AM

Child Care Benefit. Trudeau is currently spooning that in to his campaign. Ughh.

by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2019 12:29 AM

Since notions of social class are verboten today, they've gotten around calling them "working class families" by dropping class from the title: people who are employed for wages, especially in manual or industrial work.

It like saying "people of color" instead of "colored people" - IT MEANS THE SAME THING. The former has somehow become more acceptable than the latter.

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2019 12:33 AM

I’m “us” and “them”

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2019 12:34 AM

People often refer to their “hard earned dollars”. Of course they are hard earned. It really goes without saying.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2019 12:38 AM

You think Donald, Jr’s money is hard earned?

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2019 1:01 AM

The phrase is pretty self-explanatory, OP - families that are being worked on, but aren't yet a finished product. Like "working papers" or a draft, if you will, before the final version is published.

I hope that clears it up.

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2019 1:10 AM

"That's not who we are"

"We need to have a conversation about..."

Anyone who ever uses these hokum phrases is immediately tuned out.

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2019 1:36 AM

It is Orwellian double speak. Same as “family values” etc.

by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2019 1:48 AM

"Working families" is unoffensive code for "people with minor children who aren't on welfare."

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2019 2:35 PM

“People who shower after work.”

I guess intellectual work isn't really work in Ryan's eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2019 2:39 PM

^ That's a good one. Can't just say "working class."

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2019 2:50 PM

Winning!

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2019 3:12 PM

I’m “America’s heartland.” I finished high school by the skin of my teeth (which I don’t have anymore), haven’t worked since 2003, and I’m addicted to opioids.

But the media loves me because I’m a Real American. By which they mean I’m white and not one of those faggy coastal elites.

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2019 4:06 PM

I'm stress on the word "all" whenever a politician utters a vague promise "for ALL Americans."

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2019 5:29 PM

"Yes, we can!"

by Anonymousreply 16September 24, 2019 2:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!