Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

So, I have an idea for a book. What next?

I'm already out there in print. But no one you'd have read. Only say that to say I'm not a complete newbie. But this would be first book on my own, and it's pretty ambitious for me.

by Anonymousreply 24September 22, 2019 7:21 PM

What you MUST do OP is provide zero details and ask for an receive random advice from anonymous DLers who have so much PTSD they get the vapours at the mentions of uncut dick and rim jobs.

My first piece of advice is you must write on a stylish old Swiss manual typewriter.

Agent? Who needs that!

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2019 11:11 PM

pee on your trick

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2019 11:16 PM

Talk to your literary agent about it, and ask for advice.

Then submit your pitch document and try to get an advance.

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2019 11:29 PM

Forget it. Nobody wants to read your stupid book.

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2019 11:31 PM

Writing for Penthouse Forums is very different than writing a book, dear.

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2019 11:36 PM

Did you mean 'I'm already out there in a print"?

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2019 11:44 PM

Shut up and write it.

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2019 11:45 PM

Just freaking write!

When it comes down to it, make an outline first. Decide how things progress, and decide how your main character is going to grow from beginning to end - if this is fiction. If this is nonfiction, then I'm no help.

Resources: Three books I can suggest. First is "Take Off Your Pants" by Libbie Hawker. This is probably the best book on outlining to write quick and accurately. Second is Natalie Goldberg's "Writing Down The Bones". It's a good book about writing, but it's mostly there to inspire you. Third is "Wired for Story" by Lisa Cron. This one gives you a good idea about what hooks a reader, which will help you with your writing. Additional suggestion - all three of these are available on audiobook. Listen to the audiobook instead of reading the books. Why? Because it engages a different part of your brain, and you're able to stop it and jot notes down, etc. You can also listen on your commute, etc, so you're doing something productive in what would otherwise be dead time.

For little things like book covers, editors, etc, use Fiverr. I've gotten some great services from there. The second book in my trilogy comes out in 2 weeks. :) Do it. Only you can tell your story!

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2019 11:56 PM

So, I don’t know, OP. So, are you, like, a serious writer? That is so, like, super-amazing!!

So, write it, OP! You have, like, so much emotional intelligence and depth!

by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2019 12:10 AM

If your original post is anything to go by, you need to hire an editor!

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2019 12:12 AM

Serialize it on DataLounge!

by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2019 1:31 AM

R10 = Cheryl

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2019 1:35 AM

I work in publishing OP. Post your contact information and I’ll have a contract drawn up and sent to you first thing in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2019 1:42 AM

Lol r9

R8 that's amazing. Congratulations! Will you do reading tours or promote at literature festivals? The book I'm thinking of is non-fiction. Did you conceive of your books as a trilogy from the start?

by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2019 4:04 AM

Size meat verificatia?

by Anonymousreply 15September 19, 2019 5:57 AM

Word on the street Carole, is you may need a ghost writer!

by Anonymousreply 16September 19, 2019 1:18 PM

R14 Thanks! Nope, no book tours. I'm working 60 hours a week as is, and we just got a puppy, so no time anyway. But I'd like to do those one of these days. I'm going to try and get the third book written in the next four months, then release it in early 2020. Once that's done, I'll start to work on a new series, with occasional books in this series released when I get the time. The original book was meant as a standalone, but my subconscious knew it was going to be multiple books, because I left myself so many damned clues. Sometimes our brain knows more than it lets us know - we just have to watch for the signs.

As for non-fiction, I actually do have a non-fiction book out there (a book about becoming a road warrior/frequent traveler) that has nothing to do with my fiction book. In a way, I'd say those are harder to publish only because I have no clue about that world. And while the books I suggested won't be 100% relatable, they will still help you in a way.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 17September 19, 2019 2:00 PM

NaNoWriMo is coming up. You can use that as a jumping off point.

by Anonymousreply 18September 19, 2019 2:28 PM

Thank you r17. Good luck with your writing too!

Like you, I'm not a full time writer. I've only written when I've been asked to. This is the first time I'm coming up with a writing idea of my own. So I am uncertain how to proceed.

But I'll get to it. It's just been a few days. Comments are all very helpful here even the rude ones - they help me not to take myself too seriously!

Thanks y'all

by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2019 9:26 PM

Ask Ruth Madoff living on $2 million on Long Island, or whatever. I think he published a book.

by Anonymousreply 20September 22, 2019 12:03 AM

You already have a published book that you apparently co-wrote and you have an idea for another and you are asking a bunch of people who haven't published anything, WHAT NEXT?

Well you turn the idea into a book, genius, but what do I know?

by Anonymousreply 21September 22, 2019 12:23 AM

Sorry r21 I guess I should have directed my post at published writers.

by Anonymousreply 22September 22, 2019 3:32 AM

I have an idea for a children’s book, but I need an illustrator. If you think you can draw, submit a drawing of what you think the Christmas Moose looks like, and we’ll go from there. You might want to include any of the following:

Moosie has a stuffed Eeyore that he talks to when he thinks no one is looking; he enjoys his collection of sashes; and treats his mother well. He is a dood dancer, Whist player, and enjoys peanuts, bourbon, and Jazz. He’s a good swimmer, breather, and eater. And he’s a citizen of Canada.

Go!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 22, 2019 7:04 PM

Hey, OP. I forgot to mention that the best tool in my arsenal is my coach. Met her on Fiverr.com and she's responsible for getting me out of my rut & motivated to finish. Definitely consider it.

by Anonymousreply 24September 22, 2019 7:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!