Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Pete Buttigieg the greatest thing to happen to gays ?

People now say they feel more accepted than before and more belonged than ever. Pete is erasing that sense of exclusion we all feel.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2019 1:57 AM

To the gays in the US in the past year or so, sure. There have been others before him in different generations with similar impact, I think? We'll see what happens in the future with him; he might yet have a global impact.

The thing that's been the most remarkable for me to see is just how little straight people seem to care (negatively) about his sexual orientation. I only ever hear about how it might harm him here on DL. I thought those protests at the start where religious freaks dressed as Satan and Jesus stalked him to different venues would only escalate, but the opposite is true. He broke the ice, he's unapologetic about being gay and bringing Chasten with him, and people got over the novelty pretty quickly. Besides, it's hard to bully and denigrate someone who is obviously proud of what he is and of what he has going on with his husband.

He's doing great work and we're lucky to not have a jester like Yang representing us, but his run now is only possible because of those who came before.

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2019 10:06 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2019 10:42 PM

Quite possibly. He and Chasten have even made gay married couples less annoying for me.

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2019 10:42 PM

People are trying to be nice.

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2019 10:47 PM

talk about this

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2019 1:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!