Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I don't think Seinfeld ages well. People should know Newsradio more.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the show when it was on in first-run episodes (hard to believe it was over 21 years ago since the last new one). But I finally pulled my dvd's out and started rewatching and I noticed I rarely laughed, even on episodes I hadn't seen before. Was this something that could only be enjoyed in the 90's?

Perhaps it's just the general unlikability of the characters. Jerry is petty and picky, Kramer is needy and clingy, George is pretty much the same way and Elaine is flat-out cunt. And all of the guys have a non-stop parade of woman that are waaaaaay out of their league, with jerry breaking up with one every week over the smallest, perceived faults. And when he can't find any with one woman, he says she's "too good".

Perhaps it's the actors themselves, aka "The Seinfailures". Each of the main 4 (minus Jerry) had their own failed sitcom attempt (in the case of Jason Alexander, two of them). Julia finally broke the curse in the late 2000's, but Michael Richards racist rant didn't help any.

And then there's the infamous final episode. Instead of the show being sent off in style, it was a long-ass clip show with a punch-in-the-gut ending. We knew they were unlikeable, but who in the fuck laughs at someone in distress, and what backwards town imprisons people for it?

I'm also annoyed that Jerry is very nearly a billionaire, but would rather buy tons of classic cars he will rarely if ever drive instead of, you know, doing things for charity.

Seinfeld is better than Friends, but it should be noted that practically anything that NBC put on their Thursday night line-up in the 80's and 90's was an instant hit (Jerry even parodied that in one episode). All the while, one truly superior sitcom -- Newsradio -- was constantly getting bounced around the schedule and landed on virtually every day but Thursday and was in constant threat of cancellation due to low ratings because of its erratic schedule. And Maura, Khandi, Joe, Phil, Andy and Stephen have all had successful projects outside of Newsradio.

by Anonymousreply 68September 22, 2019 3:18 PM

Agree-at the time it was amusing, but it was very much a show of its time. Like Friends, it simply hasn't; aged well.

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2019 5:19 PM

Nearly all of the situations on Seinfeld would have had a different outcome had cell phones been around then.

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2019 5:28 PM

Curb Your Enthusiasm was really Seinfeld 2.0 & is very funny. Seinfeld is still very "90s sitcom" with the camera setups and the A plot and B plot... and a lot of people are just not into that formula anymore, aside from not liking the plots. I was never a huge Seinfeld fan in the beginning, but it had its moments that were funny. Curb is so much funnier. I'm not sure if it's because they can do more on HBO or if it's just the mix of people... but that had some hilarious moments that Seinfeld never really did.

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2019 5:36 PM

R3-Curb showed what you could do when you had real talent in the lead. Seinfeld himself was wooden and patently unfunny. A remarkably lucky man to have gotten where he is.

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2019 5:38 PM

^ Yeah, I agree. The whole era of stand-up comic leads produced some genuinely funny leads in sitcoms, but Seinfeld was distracting in his stiff/wooden acting. Even Roseanne figured out how to act from being a stand-up.

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2019 5:45 PM

It has its moments. I can enjoy it when I'm tipsy or stoned, but can get annoying pretty quick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2019 5:46 PM

It’s very 90’s and though I loved the show during its original run and also watch reruns years after it ended, I am simply Seinfeld-ed out. The whole “the show about nothing” premise did not hold up well.

It’s funny how some shows hold up even today (like “Cheers”), but other shows like Seinfeld are just awful now.

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2019 5:50 PM

I've never seen the show, but I plan to binge on it when it comes to Netflix next year. I'm a big "Friends" fan so I think I'll enjoy it. And who doesn't love Julia-Louis Dreyfus?

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2019 5:55 PM

Newsradio depresses me too much to rewatch it. I always think about Phil Hartman's death, so senseless. [And also kind of Andy Dick's fault? kind of??]

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2019 5:59 PM

Wasn't the fact that none of the leads were likable the point of the show?

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2019 6:00 PM

[quote]but who in the fuck laughs at someone in distress, and what backwards town imprisons people for it?

Larry David has said he got the idea from reading a newspaper article about a town in the New England area that was prosecuting someone under a very similar law.

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2019 6:01 PM

I loved them both but haven’t seen an episode of NewsRadio in years. Looking forward to finding that sometime to binge on.

My favorite character was Stephen Root’s character (the boss). Hell, I even forgot his character’s name.

Mr. James?

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2019 6:03 PM

Just looked it up. Yes, it was Jimmy James.

He was a riot.

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2019 6:03 PM

Newsradio was way ahead of the curve on the whole "cool nerd" thing (Dave) and pop culture references (years before Family Guy overloaded on it, and distastefully at that).

Hell, Kathy Griffin's breakout turn as the sassy redheaded secretary on Suddenly Susan was a direct rip-off of Vicki Lewis' Beth character on NewsRadio.

I love how they made numerous excuses to have Joe Rogan (who had hair then) go shirtless and show off his unbelievably gorgeous chest.

Plus you had the immense comedic talents of Phil Hartman, Stephen Root and Andy Dick (before he started getting really crazy), not to mention Khandi Alexander.

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2019 6:23 PM

OP is a moron.

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2019 6:26 PM

R15 nails it.

Anyone who doesn't get Seinfeld is clearly "limited"

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2019 6:56 PM

Seinfeld and The Larry Sanders Show were head and shoulders above every other sitcom that aired in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2019 7:49 PM

R14 & R15 are stupid retarded idiots.

I clearly said I enjoyed the show, I just don't think it ages wel.

Duh. Please have your heads examined.

by Anonymousreply 18September 18, 2019 7:55 PM

Op. You should kill yourself.

by Anonymousreply 19September 18, 2019 7:56 PM

Seinfeld actually holds up very well bc it never took itself too seriously. Curb is pretty good too. King of Queens is sort of that way. Friends is unwatchable. Cheers doesn’t hold up well.

by Anonymousreply 20September 18, 2019 9:20 PM

If you don't think "The Susie" episode plays as well in 2019 as did it in the 90s, you have no sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 21September 18, 2019 9:22 PM

Frasier is the only 90s sitcom that has stood the test of time.

by Anonymousreply 22September 18, 2019 9:27 PM

I was never a fan of Seinfeld when it first aired but later I got to appreciate the genius of George's angst and constant anger. His parents were hilarious and perfect actors to play his parents. Elaine was my second fave even though she kinda sucked in the first few seasons. She got better and was always a good actress. I always hated Kramer. Michael Richards is just revolting. All his weird moves and tics just disgusted me. I never found him funny. Jerry was obviously not an actor but was adequate for what he had to do. I never once laughed at any of his stand up. Either on series or real life.

by Anonymousreply 23September 18, 2019 9:31 PM

Seinfeld is one of my all-time favorites. It's been in constant syndication since the series ended. For me it has always been a brief mindless diversion from the craziness of my life so I still watch it sometimes. Something about it is comforting. I think I've seen every episode at least 10 times by now, except the series finale which I hated.

by Anonymousreply 24September 18, 2019 9:35 PM

What has Andy Dick been in besides Celebrity Rehab?

by Anonymousreply 25September 18, 2019 9:37 PM

I love both shows, but I agree that Newsradio should have a much stronger legacy that it does. The show was always funny, did a very touching tribute to Phil Harman after his death, and even managed to retain humor in its final season, despite the loss of Phil Hartman (not to the same level, of course, but its drop in quality still left it funnier than most other sitcoms of the day.)

The fact that they managed to hang on as long as they did, while being moved from time-slot to time-slot in the days before time-shifting, and video on demand was pretty amazing.

by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2019 9:45 PM

"Newsradio should have a much stronger legacy that it does."

The show sucked because it glorified and felated the media.

The media likes nothing more than being worshipped and jerked off by other media.

by Anonymousreply 27September 18, 2019 9:53 PM

For some reason I never watched Newsradio, but I think I am going to watch it now. Good idea!

by Anonymousreply 28September 18, 2019 10:08 PM

I loved NewsRadio. Great show.

by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2019 10:17 PM

I just never found workplace romance sit-coms funny. So I lasted through 10 minutes of NewRadio.

by Anonymousreply 30September 18, 2019 10:18 PM

It might have aged better if Jerry didn’t show how much of a sanctimonious, truly unfunny asshole he is. Same with Jason Alexander and Michael Richards. Horrible, arrogant people. Kudos to Julia for hanging in there.

However, Newsradio is a gem. My heart still breaks thinking about Dave Foley trying to get through the episode after Phil Hartman was killed.

by Anonymousreply 31September 18, 2019 10:18 PM

I made the show.

by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2019 10:19 PM

Hello, Newman.

by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2019 10:28 PM

I've never seen a complete episode of Seinfeld. Not sure if I ever watched NewsRadio.

by Anonymousreply 34September 18, 2019 10:33 PM

[quote] The show sucked because it glorified and felated the media.

Winner of stupidest DLer of the day goes to...

by Anonymousreply 35September 18, 2019 10:35 PM

Respectfully disagree, OP. I’ve never seen “News radio”, but all the comments have inspired me to give it a shot.

by Anonymousreply 36September 18, 2019 10:36 PM

Just one suggestion, r36: give it time to find its footing. Don’t judge on the first few episodes.

I’m a HUGE Seinfeld fan and got all the DVDs. I didn’t remember the pilot episode at all and the first few episodes were painful to watch, even for me.

I don’t remember if NewsRadio started the same way.

by Anonymousreply 37September 18, 2019 10:39 PM

Who's the worse actor, Seinfeld or Kelsey?

by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2019 10:40 PM

R36 News Radio...if you’re doing the quoties, then at least do it properly.

by Anonymousreply 39September 18, 2019 10:41 PM

[quote]News Radio...if you’re doing the quoties, then at least do it properly.

Take your own advice, r39.

It’s NewsRadio.

by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2019 10:43 PM

Or, as it's known in Japan, Super Karate Monkey Death Car.

by Anonymousreply 41September 18, 2019 10:45 PM

Dammit, r41! Why did you mention that show? Now I’m going to get another royalty check. My hand is killing me.

by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2019 10:47 PM

R40 This thread was going well till some dink had to be the smartest. Nobody wants to talk to that person. After a day full of shit, this site should be respite. You’re the person who never gets invited to parties. I’m sure everyone should be served cake in alphabetical order, if you’re in attendance.

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2019 11:49 PM

R43 You mean he could be a character in Seinfeld?

by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2019 11:54 PM

If that’s how you imagine your life as, then sure!

by Anonymousreply 45September 19, 2019 12:07 AM

[quote]Frasier is the only 90s sitcom that has stood the test of time.

That show was a boring piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 46September 19, 2019 1:55 AM

I've never seen a complete episode of Frasier, either.

by Anonymousreply 47September 20, 2019 4:16 PM

r38, Kelsey is actually an actor. Boss, for example, is a great show. Frasier was brilliantly written and showed some humanity and humility. Seinfeld the show and Seinfeld the person have both grown despicable over the years.

by Anonymousreply 48September 20, 2019 4:25 PM

Michael Richards in real life makes Seinfeld completely unwatchable for me. He is a phony, and a creep. And bigoted.

by Anonymousreply 49September 20, 2019 4:25 PM

One of the best shows ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 20, 2019 5:39 PM

R43 doesn’t like the taste of his own medicine.

by Anonymousreply 51September 20, 2019 8:10 PM

Oh my God, I LOVED NEWSRADIO. It was one of the most underrated shows ever.

Stephen Root is one of my all time favorite actors and Vicki Lewis is also the orecursor to Gina Linetti from Brooklyn 99.

by Anonymousreply 52September 20, 2019 10:11 PM

I bought one of the earlier seasons of Frasier and they have not aged well at all. Super gay face from space in love with boring British hick Daphne. Zzzzzzzzzzz. You realise how one note a lot of the writing was when you watch a whole season.

by Anonymousreply 53September 21, 2019 3:04 AM

Was watching something the other day where the talking head was saying that Seinfeld may not be the type of show that ages well, that audiences tend to gravitate to simpler sitcoms with broad but generally likeable characters they don't need to think about much, everything from Brady Bunch to Friends to the Office, and how shows like MASH and Mary Tyler Moore, which were highly praised in their day, don't do well in reruns because they make people pay too much attention and think and people just want fluff in their reruns

by Anonymousreply 54September 21, 2019 3:14 AM

I'm still watching reruns, and still laughing my ass

Perhaps I should have said LMAO for you kids who can't be bothered with the old ways.

by Anonymousreply 55September 21, 2019 3:18 AM

LOL R55 ICWYM!!!

by Anonymousreply 56September 21, 2019 3:19 AM

^^ Shit! A texter!

by Anonymousreply 57September 21, 2019 4:25 PM

Three Jewish guys and a dame... would Seinfeld exist if the Marx Brothers hadn't done it first?

by Anonymousreply 58September 21, 2019 5:51 PM

[quote]Three Jewish guys and a dame... would Seinfeld exist if the Marx Brothers hadn't done it first?

Only two of them were Jewish, irl, and George was Italian not Jewish, so it was 2 guys, 1 Jew and a dame. Try again. Michael Richards is Italian irl.

by Anonymousreply 59September 21, 2019 6:04 PM

[quote]Michael Richards in real life makes Seinfeld completely unwatchable for me. He is a phony, and a creep. And bigoted.

Oh, poor dear is triggered. I hate to break this to you but most people in the entertainment industry are fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 60September 21, 2019 6:06 PM

Costanza is an Italian name but George's mother was Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 61September 21, 2019 6:07 PM

George was Latvian Orthodox

by Anonymousreply 62September 21, 2019 6:33 PM

Seinfeld was one of those shows that had a couple brilliant seasons, and it just so happened to coincide with Must See TV Thursday lineup of the 1990s. Friends, Frasier, Mad About You and Seinfeld was a good Thursday block, followed by ER, which was the hit show of the year when Seinfeld was put on Thursdays. Pairing all these shows together worked, and Seinfeld was having some of its best years. Overall, season by season, the show was not as funny as other sitcoms, but its brilliant couple seasons were great for the time and were produced at just the right moment to take advantage of NBC's Thursday juggernaut of shows.

by Anonymousreply 63September 21, 2019 9:07 PM

They all seemed Jewish to me. Elaine was supposed to be a rich WASP? I grew up in CT and never saw a WASP girl who looked or spoke that way.

by Anonymousreply 64September 21, 2019 10:13 PM

I secretly hated Seifeld. I felt like I would watch the show with a smile on face, waiting for the laugh that never happened. I felt like every punchline was dead. There were funny moments (It shrinks? Master of my domain! Sponge-worthy! Any scene with Puddy) But I was always left unsatisfied.

by Anonymousreply 65September 21, 2019 10:19 PM

Jerry was smart by not trying to do another show. None of them are going to be able to top the success of Seinfeld. It was a huge hit and a cultural juggernaut in the 90's.

It doesn't matter how many Emmys they've thrown at Julia, or how hard critics try to make Veep into an important show, it'll be forgotten a year after it's off the air. Seinfeld is going to be the only one that people remember.

by Anonymousreply 66September 21, 2019 10:28 PM

100% jewish, you turd

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 22, 2019 12:27 AM

R66 Actually Jerry did bomb with another network show. It wasn't a sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 68September 22, 2019 3:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!