Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Devil Wears Prada: The Musical?

Yes, says Sir Elton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 25, 2019 12:59 PM

Well, Rocketman worked out well, so why not?

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2019 4:58 PM

No one could play Miranda as well as M

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2019 5:01 PM

Rocketman should have been a musical to begin with. Not a movie. There was zero plot. I don’t like jukebox musicals anyway. That’s what Spotify is for.

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2019 5:22 PM

I was surprised at how well the movie came together because the book it was based on was garbage, completely unreadable. I hated Anne Hathaway's and Adrian Grenier's characters. Meryl, Emily Blunt and Stanley Tucci owned the movie.

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2019 5:31 PM

I hate his fucking B'way scores. So sick of him.

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2019 5:43 PM

He’s got the Tammy Faye musical opening in London the same summer!

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2019 5:44 PM

Paul Rudnick was originally slated to write the book. I think he could have done a great job. Does anyone know why he isn't on the project anymore?

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2019 5:54 PM

R7, you wrote "Paul Rudnick" and I was all, "Why the fuck is Paul Rudd writing a Broadway show?" But Rudnick might be interesting.

The appeal of the movie is Meryl. The story is pretty thin and uninteresting and has been told better in 100 other places. Remember the terrible reviews the novel got when it was released? How do you turn a shitty book into a hit movie? Hire Meryl as the stylish villain.

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2019 7:00 PM

R7, because Paul Rudnick can write skits, but not plays. Jeffrey was typical of his skills: a series of skits, most of which could easily be performed outside of the framework of the play. He would be great for dialogue, but lousy for structure.

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2019 7:06 PM

r9=Libby Gelman-Waxner

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2019 3:27 AM

Where has she been, r10? I haven't seen one of her reviews in months. And while I think Paul's writing does lean towards being a series of skits, I think that is more a function of his style than of his ability. I enjoy his work.

by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2019 4:23 AM

I always thought G would have made a better Miranda Priestley R2.

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2019 4:30 AM

G already played Cruella.

by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2019 4:38 AM

Same difference R13.

by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2019 4:40 AM

Will Elton ever stop working? I have sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 15September 19, 2019 4:45 AM

Act I:

The Interview/"Go Ahead, Hire the Fat Girl" -- Andy, Miranda

"That's All" -- Miranda, Emily, and Runway staff

"It's Really More Cerulean (The Belt Song)" --Miranda, Runway models and photographers

The Unpublished Harry Potter Ballet --Andy, the Priestley twins, People of New York City

"(Corn Chowder Is) Just Cellulite" -- Nigel, Andy

"But I Made it with Taleggio" -- Nate

ACT II.

"You Never Can Be Too Rich or Too Thin" -- Miranda, Andy, Emily, and Runway staff

"One Severe Illness Away (From My Dream Weight)" --Emily

"Paris at Last!" -- Andy and company

"They All Want to Be Us" -- Miranda, Andy

"Her Biggest Disappointment" -- Andy, Miranda

"That's All (Reprise)" --Entire company

by Anonymousreply 16September 19, 2019 4:46 AM

Needs more Nigel

by Anonymousreply 17September 19, 2019 4:50 AM

r9: then Rudnick would be good for this, because the two-part structure is really built into it already.

Act I: Andy learns how to appreciate Miranda and has a makeover

Act II: Andy comes to reject Miranda, but triumphs anyway because Miranda ultimately respects her

by Anonymousreply 18September 25, 2019 4:25 AM

The musical should open with Andy attending the hideous skirt convention.

by Anonymousreply 19September 25, 2019 4:59 AM

Will it have an all-black cast? Taking advantage of the smash hit that is Slave Play, shouldn't Broadway take advantage of the woke potential audience?

by Anonymousreply 20September 25, 2019 12:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!