Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is this petty?

I just got back from lunch with my husband. He’s currently in the process of hiring a new assistant. Someone from his company is leaving and their assistant (a female) wants to be considered for my husband’s open assistant position.

Husband is bi. He asked her to come with us to lunch today so he could see how she interacts outside of the office. She is really attractive and young. He’s in his early 30s and she’s mid 20s and incredibly flirty. Lots of arm touches and flirtatious jokes throughout our lunch. They would do some travel together which would make me a little nervous. He’s never cheated on me before and is a great guy, I just get a little paranoid.

Would it be petty if I told him I was jealous and didn’t want him to pick her? His boss has said he is flexible and will let him make the selection entirely on his own, this girl will get another job in the company if not selected to work with him.

Help :(

by Anonymousreply 72September 19, 2019 6:25 AM

Bi but married to a man is not bi enough to worry about other women.

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2019 4:48 PM

Additional info:

She didn’t throw any flirtation my way (I’m not as hot as husband, but I’m also not ugly), so I think she’s attracted to him and not just super flirty. I’m also totally gay, but not sure she knows that.

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2019 4:53 PM

Oh, the drama. Your husband should dump your ass stat.

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2019 4:54 PM

You were at the lunch too, and she could see that your husband prefers partners way more feminine than she could ever be. You’re safe.

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2019 4:56 PM

Not petty. It's never a good idea for a husband, gay or straight, to have a super hot assistant.

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2019 4:57 PM

Sorry, I call EST. Your husband travels a lot by your own admission? Why worry about a 20 something cute girl but not that he is boning every hot thing male or female he sees while traveling.

Either you are secure in your relationship or you aren't. If you feel he would cheat with girl what is to stop him from doing it when out of town? This has more to do with your own insecurities in the relationship and less to do with the girl.

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2019 5:00 PM

[quote]She didn’t throw any flirtation my way

You’re not making the hiring decision and would not be her boss, so she was focused on sucking up to him.

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2019 5:01 PM

He's already fucking her OP. The lunch was just a mind game.

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2019 5:19 PM

If he's inclined to have sex with other people, whom he selects as his assistant hardly matters.

Frankly, you're probably safer if he does hire her since most companies have very rigorous rules, and he'd risk getting fired or Metoo'd if he made a move on her.

You should encourage him to hire her, then casually apropos of nothing periodically mention high profile MeToo cases of bosses accused of harassing underlings.

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2019 5:30 PM

Not petty, just wise. How you tell him will depend on his personality - if he's the type to think less of you for being jealous or think of it as a challenge, don't tell him you're wary of this woman, find another way. If he's someone who's conscious of his image around the office, you might want to tell him that this person seems overly flirty or unprofessional (without revealing your personal fears) and that her behavior might set tongues wagging around the office.

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2019 5:31 PM

I would be more worried if it was a super hot guy. Because men can't control their sex drive, and when there is TWO men, something always goes down in the handicap stall at work!

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2019 5:36 PM

I've worked with several major companies and assistants never travel with their boss anymore. It's an extra expense and everything can be communicated via email and texts.

It's not 1968.

Nice try, OP.

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2019 5:38 PM

I's there a subtle yet clear way you could inform her that he only likes it in the pooper?

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2019 5:41 PM

How did you bag a bi hotter than you guy to marry you ?

are you a big dicked top?

Rich?

enquiring minds...

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2019 5:45 PM

Hope OP is posting from the gym while doing squats as it looks like she now needs to keep her game tight 24/7.

Better do some extra sets today, OP.

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2019 5:51 PM

What would "Mother" do!

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2019 6:01 PM

^^?

by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2019 6:02 PM

R7 He is talking about Mike Pence and his wife who he calls mother. She won't let Pence alone with any women.

by Anonymousreply 18September 18, 2019 6:11 PM

So a few things.

1. I know this isn’t the 60s. When he travels he does presentations, so there are often five or so people from his office that travel.

2. I know DL as a whole is convinced all men cheat, but I really don’t think he ever would. We’re solid and have been for a while.

3. I don’t want to sound petty, I just don’t like that they’d be together so often. His last assistant was great, but she was an older woman who was also happily married.

Also, R14, no. I don’t fit that description. Sorry! Your post makes it seem like bi people have more inherent worth than gay people though, maybe work on that.

by Anonymousreply 19September 18, 2019 6:28 PM

So a few things.

1. I know this isn’t the 60s. When he travels he does presentations, so there are often five or so people from his office that travel.

2. I know DL as a whole is convinced all men cheat, but I really don’t think he ever would. We’re solid and have been for a while.

3. I don’t want to sound petty, I just don’t like that they’d be together so often. His last assistant was great, but she was an older woman who was also happily married.

Also, R14, no. I don’t fit that description. Sorry! Your post makes it seem like bi people have more inherent worth than gay people though, maybe work on that.

by Anonymousreply 20September 18, 2019 6:28 PM

How long have you two been married, OP? How long ago was he last with a woman?

by Anonymousreply 21September 18, 2019 6:55 PM

This was a rejected plot line in Mad Men. They hired that old Jewish who died at her desk, right?

by Anonymousreply 22September 18, 2019 6:57 PM

Beware op! Pretty always beat petty.

by Anonymousreply 23September 18, 2019 7:08 PM

R21, we’ve been married for four years. We’ve been together for seven, so it would be some time before that.

by Anonymousreply 24September 18, 2019 7:16 PM

This is like a Sixties sitcom plot. You're worried your hubby will run off with his secretary.

by Anonymousreply 25September 18, 2019 7:16 PM

What you could do is march into the office and let her know what's what in front of just everybody! Tell that little minx that if she tries to use her bodacious ta-tas to try to marry her way out of the secretarial pool, you'll scratch her eyes out!

by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2019 7:19 PM

R1 This is Petty. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/Tom_Petty_Live_in_Horsens_%28cropped2%29.jpg

by Anonymousreply 27September 18, 2019 7:22 PM

If not her, then it'll be someone else.

Sounds like a combination of trust issues and insecurity on your part. What happens if he finds another candidate and he/she is also attractive/flirty? How many times can you axe his options?

Maybe instead that talk with your husband and not worry about the assistant.

by Anonymousreply 28September 18, 2019 7:23 PM

OP, You in danger gurl!

by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2019 7:24 PM

I don't think "tactile" belongs in the office. Tell him so. I know the lunch was out of office, but tactile towards a future boss? Someone with a decision to make? No girl. Tell hubs that tactile is tactile....it won't sit well with other employees. In fact, it could make her targeted. Good Luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 30September 18, 2019 7:24 PM

Yes it would be petty, and childish. That's his job which you have no involvement in. It's none of your business who he picks.

by Anonymousreply 31September 18, 2019 7:26 PM

OP, you lost me at 'Husband is Bi".

by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2019 7:32 PM

In case anyone's wondering what's on my ipod today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2019 7:39 PM

Those people telling OP it is none of his business, his husband apparently asked him to come and give his feedback. Therefore, in part his decision.

by Anonymousreply 34September 18, 2019 7:49 PM

The flirty assistant should NEVER be touching a colleague unless accidentally or a handshake. She's really inappropriate and if your husband is such an EXEC he should know that. Remind him she is tacky and not a good choice. She probably gossips, too!

by Anonymousreply 35September 18, 2019 7:53 PM

I think it was inappropriate for your husband to invite a job candidate to lunch with his spouse.

by Anonymousreply 36September 18, 2019 7:54 PM

The feedback from OP was limited to an opinion on how she interacts with others.

Not to whether or not she was going to blow him before the entrees arrived.

by Anonymousreply 37September 18, 2019 7:55 PM

What R12 said. Taking a job prospect out for a social lunch with the hiring supervisor and his spouse is also wildly inappropriate these days. Cute roleplaying as Betty Draper, OP, but this has poorly plotted EST written all over it.

by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2019 7:58 PM

If the husband isn't confident or experienced enough to pick his own assistant he doesn't need to be in that job.

by Anonymousreply 39September 18, 2019 8:00 PM

Something does not add up here. Why would she be travelling with him?

She is not even hired, and yet you and he took her to eat?

by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2019 8:00 PM

I doubt that any of this is true, but if it is, it should be crime for a loyal, dedicated employee lose out on a great opportunity just because of an insecure, piece of shit like OP who has too much time on their hands.

by Anonymousreply 41September 18, 2019 8:07 PM

If your hubby hires the flirty assistant and she takes oral "DICtation" a few times a week, it could free up your time OP, for a class in Ikebana or creative writing.

by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2019 8:11 PM

OK, my take. If it's going to eat you up every time you know he's working late with her, or has to go out of town with her, you may as well speak up now. Cut to the chase. You won't be doing him any favors if you keep your mouth shut now, but stew in jealousy or anger over and over again. I love my BF very, very much, and I know he can be jealous at times. I know what it feels like, too, and I won't do anything to stoke the fires.

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2019 8:13 PM

Tell him you won't be happy unless he chooses a big ol' bull dyke for his assistant.

by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2019 8:15 PM

Hire an old Jewish lady, I'm telling you. At least they're competent.

by Anonymousreply 45September 18, 2019 8:21 PM

The only thing I would say, if this were true, is *knock of the touching and flirting*.

In any company, today, that's a red flag issue with HR. Period. Don't do it. That's a career ending move. No company will risk the potential for litigation. Your husband clearly lacks any damn sense that this is an employee who he supervises. This means if Little Miss runs to HR that he made a move, he's fucked. It doesn't matter that he's gay or bi and in a relationship. There's a cloud over him because he failed to stop the inappropriate conduct from the beginning.

The appropriate steps now are for him to have HR provide training on sexual harassment they both attend to ensure legal cover. Find out the company's policy on fraternization and ensure they both sign it.

No, this does not involve you. If you were to go to HR - they're likely to fire both of them. If your husband refuses, well you probably have your answer: he's already fucking her.

Either way, he's going to have an assistant. You can drive yourself paranoid with fear he's going to fuck a super hot assistant. Oh well. Do you have anything else to do all day except stew in your own juices?

by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2019 8:38 PM

That's not how businesses work, OP. You wouldn't be in attendance at lunch with a prospective hire. Under no circumstances would that happen.

Are you our Trucker Fucker EST troll? Or, our the 'well-endowed, rich, older' married guy who just found out his red shoed husband is cheating on him for the third time EST troll? Both, right?

Read a book or make a real life friend, OP. Your scenarios and follow-ups are horrible.

by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2019 8:38 PM

Yes, if he hired a Jewish lady she'd be competent and she'd take care of him like his mother.

by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2019 8:40 PM

I’m not quite sure what is missing. I wrote the original post hastily, maybe I need to clarify.

My husband’s assistant is leaving, there is an opening for that position. Another exec (who my husband is taking some responsibilities from) is retiring, the idea was floated that this existing assistant change roles. They travel to do trainings. Since she has been in the position before, she would go with them to the first few and then ease off, but they also have industry conferences to attend. By no means do they travel often, but it does happen.

Today’s lunch was for most of their team and some other retired people/spouses for a retirement celebration, that’s why she and I were both there. This was NOT a job interview! We just sat on either side of him and I got a feel for her and didn’t like it.

by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2019 8:44 PM

He's going to fuck her. There's not a thing you can do about it.

by Anonymousreply 50September 18, 2019 8:48 PM

Maybe she takes it in the butt. Do you, OP? Do you take your hot EXEC bi boyfriend's big schlong in your love tunnel? Do you giggle and say how naughty he is before you turn into a sweaty greedy bottom sow screaming YES YES YES

by Anonymousreply 51September 18, 2019 8:51 PM

Petty? No. Sad? Yes.

by Anonymousreply 52September 18, 2019 9:01 PM

If you don't trust him, this is not just about this one woman, it's about your relationship IMO. And maybe you have a reason not to trust him, so maybe you guys need couples counseling? And your opinion that she's too flirty is a worthwhile opinion to share because maybe she'd be too flirty with clients as well. Also, I think a lot of spouses would be annoyed with someone flirting with their mate; it's pretty normal to find that annoying. She doesn't really sound like the right assistant maybe and you're picking up on her inappropriate behavior. You can tell him about it and not make it about your being jealous but that you thought she wasn't professional enough in your opinion. He's obviously happy to be with you or you wouldn't have been there at all, right? Anyway, good luck.

by Anonymousreply 53September 18, 2019 9:05 PM

Stear clear of your husband's business decisions. This would be an entirely different matter if you both were running a small business together. If I were your husband, I would resent you for it, and find you altogether less attractive in my eyes for being so insecure. I also would possibly feel manipulated by you. I cannot imagine how the marriage has lasted this long if you think this normal, or even possible as a request. Do you keep your husband's balls in a jewelry case in your bureau?

by Anonymousreply 54September 18, 2019 9:32 PM

OP, are you a lesbian? This screams “dyke drama”.

by Anonymousreply 55September 18, 2019 9:42 PM

Her coming onto him like that makes her a liability to the company if she ever gets jilted and declares sexual assault. Take that angle with him OP saying she could destroy his career with a single tweet. I notice you didn't mention his reaction to the flirting.

by Anonymousreply 56September 18, 2019 9:51 PM

Only read the title of the thread, but yeah OP, you are petty.

by Anonymousreply 57September 18, 2019 9:53 PM

wait. looking at this thread with fresh eyes...

OP says his husband would never cheat but yet he's worried about the secretary?

by Anonymousreply 58September 18, 2019 9:56 PM

No he's not going to fuck her. Because like all self claimed bi-sexual man, he's really just a big ol' homo trying to make himself look a little bit above the common queer.

by Anonymousreply 59September 18, 2019 10:10 PM

So petty and gross. This scenario is made up. I can't believe that anyone is taking OP's ridiculous story seriously or is even humoring him.

This thread will probably get to 600 posts and spawn countless sequel threads. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 60September 18, 2019 10:13 PM

Call me a stoopid old stodge, but if lunch was really an extension of a job interview and she was auditioning by flirting and touching inappropriately -- especially in front of you -- that would be a BIG RED FLAG about her suitability for the job.

by Anonymousreply 61September 18, 2019 10:19 PM

This will end in tears.

by Anonymousreply 62September 18, 2019 10:22 PM

What r56 said.

If he knows you’re jealous, he’ll use it to torment you. Don’t show your hand, OP.

by Anonymousreply 63September 18, 2019 10:24 PM

She could have just been acting extra girly because she knew she was having lunch with two guys she figured were gay anyway.

by Anonymousreply 64September 18, 2019 10:27 PM

Not petty. Put your foot down OP.

by Anonymousreply 65September 18, 2019 10:28 PM

No update yet? Has OP fucked with this innocent woman's career yet or not?

by Anonymousreply 66September 18, 2019 11:35 PM

I agree with R1. The kind of bi guy you need to worry about would not marry a guy.

by Anonymousreply 67September 18, 2019 11:38 PM

Why does he need to see how she "interacts outside the office"?

by Anonymousreply 68September 18, 2019 11:40 PM

You lost me at “husband is bi.”

BLOCKED

by Anonymousreply 69September 19, 2019 12:16 AM

Okay, so I talked to him tonight. He said (I hadn’t even brought it up) that she was out of the running. I guess he didn’t really want her to begin with but agreed to sit next to her at lunch to make it look like he was making an effort.

He already brought up the arm touching and that stuff with the others who were at the lunch, they said she does that often but they don’t see a problem with it! They’re going to transition her to another department, it sounds like.

Also, I told him I was a little concerned and he assured me he is one happy dude. I felt bad saying anything, but it was a great talk and I was glad it happened!

by Anonymousreply 70September 19, 2019 1:17 AM

LIES and the lying liars who tell them.

by Anonymousreply 71September 19, 2019 6:02 AM

Kill her! Simple and clear as day Op, you have got to kill her.

by Anonymousreply 72September 19, 2019 6:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!