Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Madonna’s Madame X’s Opening Night

Madonna Kicks Off ‘Madame X’ World Tour: Fans React

On September 17, Madonna kicked off her “Madame X” world tour in New York City at the Howard Gilman Opera House.

The show was originally planned to begin on September 12 but was postponed due to highly specialized production elements, per The Inquisitr.

According to The Daily Star, the “Nothing Really Matters” songstress announced that no phones or cameras will be permitted when entering the venue.

With no live social media reaction during the opening show came a lot of online buzz after the show had ended.

“Ok so the ‘Madame X’ Tour was the best thing I’ve ever seen. Possibly Madonna’s artistic pinnacle. Incredible,” one user tweeted.

“Amazing opening night of #Madonna ‘Madame X’ Tour! Concert,” another shared.

“Madonna’s ‘Madame X’ Tour is the show of the century. I don’t have the pictures to prove it, but I won’t let anyone tell me otherwise,” a third mentioned.

“Rescue Me is on the ‘Madame X’ tour Setlist!!! It was the first interlude #madonna #MadameXTour,” a fourth excited fan wrote.

The tour is in support of her 14th studio album, Madame X, which was released earlier this year.

The set list consists of a lot of songs from the new record which she hasn’t played before as well as her greatest hits, per Setlist.fm.

“God Control” “Dark Ballet” “Human Nature” “Express Yourself” (Acapella chorus) “Vogue” “I Don’t Search I Find” “Papa Don’t Preach” (First verse and chorus) “American Life” “Batuka” (Live debut) “Fado Pechincha” (Isabel De Oliveira cover) (First verse) “Killers Who Are Partying” (Live debut) “Crazy” (Live debut) “La Isla Bonita” “Sodade” (Cesária Évora cover) “Medellín” “Extreme Occident” (Live debut) “Rescue Me” “Frozen” “Come Alive” (Live debut) “Future” “Crave” (Live debut, Tracy Young Mix) “Like a Prayer” “I Rise”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234October 13, 2019 1:18 AM

My friend went last night. Here’s how he summarized it: “it felt more like a lecture than entertainment”. They left after an hour. Sounds about right for Madonna...

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2019 2:52 PM

Half of her songs are bathroom breaks.

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2019 3:46 PM

Well, R1, your friend was absolutely in the minority because I was there and it was utterly amazing. Even Roger Friedman who's written numerous hit pieces on Madonna had to admit that he was impressed. I went with a group of people and I just went for the experience but ended up really enjoying it. It's a Broadway production, that's for sure, and the audience was clearly enjoying it.

I don't get why DataLounge hates Madonna so much.

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2019 3:48 PM

[quote]I don't get why DataLounge hates Madonna so much.

I probably has nothing to do with her being a really horrible human being. Just a hunch.

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2019 3:55 PM

Im going next week. I immediately regretted buying two $500 tickets when they became available, but now I"m excited.

Never again will I pay that much though

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2019 4:00 PM

That's such a banal response, R4. People claim she's "horrible" or narcissistic or a host of other things, but I never see any evidence of that. If you want to see horrible, narcissistic people come walk in my shoes. I'm doing my surgical residency and a good portion of the surgeons I deal with suffer from God Complexes and are selfish Republican pieces of shit who wouldn't give a starving child a cent. Yet Madonna is constantly in the news for giving away money. I'm not a Madonna fan and if I manage to hear those things then it must be pretty commonplace. And who cares if she does it for publicity; she's still giving it away. Plus she's always been super supportive of gays and lesbian. My uncle is in his 50s and he's one of the people I went with last night. He claims Madonna was one of the first to vocally support the gay community and that's certainly true.

Love who you want and hate who you want; it's no skin off my nose . . . but I would sure hope you could find people more deserving of your hate than Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2019 4:18 PM

NY Times just came out with their review and said it was mostly good.

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2019 4:54 PM

Madonna Reinvents the Pop Concert with Madame X Tour Kickoff

PART 1

When Madonna announced the Madame X Tour there was a wave of intrigue that hit fans as we have been accustomed to experiencing the greatness of a live Madonna show in rather large gatherings like stadiums and arenas, but a theater with a 2,109 person capacity? This is unheard of for a star of her caliber. Tickets went fast with more shows and cities being added to the tour as the weeks went on, the Madame X Tour is set to visit Chicago, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Boston, Philadelphia and Miami before it finishes its North American run on December 22. I was lucky enough to snag a ticket to cover Madonna's Madame X Tour kickoff in New York at the BAM Howard Gilman Opera House on September 17 and I'm here to tell you all about it! And I have to tell you about it because there are no photos or video from the concert to show you as cell phones or recording devices of any kind were not allowed for use inside the theater. Once you get in line at the venue, a YONDR representative comes around and hands you a ticket and fills it out with your seating location after you show him your mobile ticket. As you head in, you're handed a YONDR case/pouch where you place your phone and seal it locked, and that's where your phone stays for the remainder of the show unless you enter a cell use area, there are several of these areas located in the venue. There's merch aplenty here, so much cool stuff to see including drinking bottles, eyepatches, a tour book, shirts and even a jacket!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2019 4:57 PM

PART 2:

We were requested to arrive by 8:30PM as the show was scheduled to begin at 9:30PM but in keeping with tradition, Madge kept us waiting, the superstar icon didn't hit the stage until 10:45PM and in all honesty, it was absolutely worth the wait. The show began with two performers, one being a woman who was typing away on that Madame X typewriter, you know which one I'm talking about. The line "Art is here to prove that all safety is an illusion" kept repeating on the screen, it was followed by giant gunshots taking aim at the stage before we enter with the tour opener, "God Control." The politically charged song featured Madonna serving up a patriotic look in a sort of military meets victorian costume that gave me "Vogue" live at the 1990 MTV Awards vibes while some of the dancers yielded police shields. The stage featured giant white staircases and walls behind the stairs that were able to transform with the projectors and lighting, it was a simple yet very effective setup that was able to transform and evolve throughout the show in many ways. A ton of backup singers are displayed as they belt out that gorgeous chorus "we lost control...," it's a great opener! The second song on the setlist was "Dark Ballet," it opens with Madonna sitting on the stairs, legs spread open in a masculine pose with the lyric "I can dress like a boy" and then reaching for her crotch as she sings "I can dress like a girl." A couple of performers come out featuring gas masks that are dressed with flowers just like we saw during her Eurovision performance, it's quite creepy but it's well done and suits the show perfectly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2019 4:58 PM

PART 3:

A circular shaped hole built into the wall of one of the stage props is revealed and we see Madonna enter it as she performs the third song on the setlist, "Human Nature," and just like that the crowd goes wild! Giant hand shadows fill up the screen and cover the stage props, dancing around Madonna as she performs in the circular space. While inside this space, Madge gives us a headstand that generates some serious applause. At one point during "Human Nature" a drummer brings out two congas with Madonna helming one as the words "I'm not sorry" fill out the screens. As the giant see-through screen comes down Madonna makes the Madame X Tour a family affair as she dances along and brings out a posse of performers including her twin daughters Estere and Stelle, this is the first of several times we see the young kids take the stage with their mama and it is an absolute delight to witness! After her performance of "Human Nature," we then hear Madonna tell the crowd "that's right, have I made myself clear?" as we bow down to the Queen. We then get "Express Yourself" in acapella form and while it's not the full song, it's a nice touch to hear the hit performed this way with Madonna's vocals sounding better than ever!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2019 4:59 PM

part 4:

Next up, we hear the opening strings of "Papa Don't Preach" play as a vanity is lugged out onstage and Madonna takes a seat with two fellow performers helping her for the next costume change. Madonna continues to entertain the crowd with her brand of wit and humor, this is something that takes place between pretty much every song, at one point Madge exclaims "I've never had this before, never in my entire career" in regards to giving such an intimate and small show. Surprisingly, she doesn't go back to "Papa Don't Preach" and instead delivers "Vogue" as the next song on the setlist. "I've never had this before, never in my entire career" - Madonna on the intimateness of the Madame X Tour "Vogue" was a show highlight in my opinion, multiple performers storming the stage dressed in the same blonde wigs and black trench coats with sunglasses. Up and down the stairs, across the stage, the imposters were everywhere and then boom, the real Madonna appears and "Vogue" goes down as one of the most iconic performances of the night. I certainly hope she's releasing this tour on DVD/Blu-Ray/digital streaming platforms because I need to relive this performance! Moving along Madge goes into "I Don't Search I Find" and in this time we also get another great audience exchange as the singer uses a polaroid instant camera to snap a selfie and then offers it up to one lucky fan for a price. Sitting in front row, Rosie O'Donnell took the bait and paid a pricey $1,000 for the photo in which Madonna revealed her reasoning for needing to make those extra coins, "I'm not making a dime on this show and that's the fucking truth" the singer exclaimed hilariously. And you'll believe it when you see the large number of various performers take stage and witness how much technology is involved with the Madame X Tour, it's a theatrical spectacle and likely a damn pricey one.

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2019 5:00 PM

PART 5:

Back to the music, "Papa Don't Preach" is introduced again and we get the first verse and chorus performed for us. After the chorus when she hits the final "I'm gonna keep my baby" Madonna breaks song and opens up about women's rights, staying the course of the politically charged show. Following "Papa Don't Preach" is the controversial 2003 single "American Life" and wow has that song aged well, it truly serves as a reminder that Madonna has always been ahead of the curve. As we move into an interlude, we see performers dressed in military uniforms carrying a casket with the American flag draped over it before two of the soldiers break into a fight. The giant screen onstage displays a map with places like Medellín and Madrid written across the screen before the curtains go up and we see the stage props and pieces once again rearranged, this time it's just two staircases with a lamppost on the left one, in the middle of the staircases we get 15 performers singing and dancing as we enter the first live debut of the night with a performance of "Batuka" that is so much fun to watch. If you're not crazy about the Madame X album, I'm happy to say that Madonna truly makes the album come to life on this tour, I think fans who were lukewarm on the album might be pleasantly surprised. At one point, Madonna opens up about moving to Lisbon and the inspiration she received from the journey but not without a sharp joke in hand as she says "Madame X is a soccer mom." Madge lands all of her comical efforts with such ease and without watering down the serious nature of the show.

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2019 5:00 PM

PART 6:

The large screen goes down and Madonna begins to talk to the audience about Celeste Rodrigues, a legend in Fado music which is a genre from Lisbon, Portugal that can be traced back to the 1820s. Sadly Celeste passed away last August but Madonna brought out her grandson Gasper Varela who came with a guitar and a beer in tow. As Madonna joked that he was too young to be drinking but not too young to hand her a drink she also praised his musical talents before performing a fado song titled "Fado Pechincha" and believe me when I tell you she sounded amazing. The screen lifts back up and the stage is a massive setup much like her performance at the Billboard Music Awards earlier this year where there was a Spanish-styled building front. Here the live debuts keep coming with "Killers Who Are Partying" and the shoulda-been-a-hit-single "Crazy" playing back to back. In "Crazy" when she sings "I bend my knees for you like a prayer" it's followed by a brief dramatic pause as she grabs a performers leg on her knees, it was a small moment but the pause was impactful before she kicked back into the song. Next we received a performance of a song maybe titled "Welcome To My Fado Club" which featured Madonna with a guitar in hand before mixing right into "La Isla Bonita," though it's not the full version of "La Isla Bonita" it's enough to satisfy the senses. Madonna proceeds to talk with the audience, apologizing for being late, saying it was not her intention and exclaiming "it will never happen again" all the while giving us that signature iconic wink of hers. There was also a cover of Cesaria Evora's "Sodade" but I lost track of when exactly it was performed as I was unfamiliar with the song. Moving along, the typewriter appears onstage and Madame X walks over to type up some more words of wisdom. This time the typewriter sounds turn into a beat, a familiar beat, it's "Medellín" and at this point I'm losing my mind with how hot this performance/production is coming along. While there was no Maluma in the flesh here he did record tour visuals and appeared in the windows of the stage before flashing across to the bigger back screen and back to the windows. Soon after Madonna steps to the front of the stage and the large screen goes down as Madge makes her way to the floor and gets the crowd whipped up into a frenzy as she dances with them, it's a brief moment before she treks back up the stage with a train of dancers behind her as the music video for "Medellín" plays on the large screen.

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2019 5:02 PM

PART 7:

During another fun exchange with the audience, Madge takes a seat next to a fan, even taking a drink from his cup. The fan then praised the star and her fanbase to which Madge responded that she loved that her fanbase is also a community/family. Before Madonna wraps up this act of the show however, she hits the stage again and the large screen is lifted to reveal a new series of stage props including two smaller sets of stairs and blocks of sort, this time the props actually moved around the stage on their own, it was like a carousel dancing around, whisking Madonna in circles. This was the live debut of "Extreme Occident." With the large screen down, the next interlude that played featured a dark long haired woman in black and white but you couldn't see her face. As the visual continues we begin to hear the opening to "Frozen" and the fans start to lose it! Then it's revealed that the woman on the large screen is her daughter Lourdes and let me tell you, I had goosebumps. The large screen stayed down for this performance as Madonna performed "Frozen" behind it, lit by a single light you could see her through the screen as edits of Lourdes moving about graced the large front screen. "Frozen" was one of my favorite moments of the evening, I can't even explain to you just how special it was, especially considering motherhood inspired the entire Ray of Light era.

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2019 5:03 PM

PART 8:

Another live debut enters as "Come Alive" followed "Frozen" and it was a bright moment in contrast to the mainly black and white visual of "Frozen." Madge dawned a jeweled gold/purple/white robe and got the crowd singing along with their hands in the air, that song just kinda brings it out of you doesn't it? Then we're given more engagement with Madonna as she talks about how she's a freedom fighter, exclaiming "I'm not here to be popular, I'm here to be free motherfucker." Madonna performs "Future" on a piano with no Quavo in sight though he did appear on the screens behind her. At this point I begin to wonder if she'll bring out any special guests during the course of this tour run, not that it's needed. "I'm not here to be popular, I'm here to be free, motherfucker." - Madonna before going into her song "Future" Madonna mixes it up with the next song as video of city buildings plays across the large screen before it lifts up and she breaks out a giant disco ball and funky futuristic fashionistas for the Tracey Young remix of "Crave," we once again see her twin daughters take the stage as they serve in costumes with choreography and all. Madonna and company really go to town with the choreography here, this performance turned the party way up! Finally, we're hit with "Like A Prayer" to close out the setlist, at least that's what she wanted us to believe. Sporting an eyepatch with an x on it and a black robe with a giant sequined x on the chest part and crosses all over the robe, this is the sing-along of the evening! The stage setup allowed for the backup singers to form an x as they positioned themselves up and down the stairs. And then the curtains close and people begin to leave, it's about 12:50AM at this point and I can't help but think these people who are leaving are about to miss out on something and sure enough, I was right.

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2019 5:03 PM

Final:

Enter encore, Madonna chooses "I Rise" to close out the show for real as she wear a black military jacket while the rest of the performers dress in white shirts and black/blue pants like a kind of uniformed student. The back screen begins to raise and a massive rainbow flag the size of the entire stage is lifted with Madonna and company finishing up in front of it. Then it happens, Madonna walks off the stage and makes her way down the center aisle with the other performers trailing behind her. As you can imagine, the fans flocked towards the end of the rows to try and get a better look while a bunch of lucky fans were able to fist bump her or give her a high five, it was a fairly appropriate final moment for the evening as it truly displayed just how intimate and special the Madame X Tour is. It's political, it's controversial, it's hilarious, it's emotional, it's entertaining, it's the Madame X Tour and I'm happy to report the Queen of Reinvention has done it again, redefining exactly how one can experience a pop show – bottom line, it's brilliant!

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2019 5:04 PM

Excellent review from New York Time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2019 5:08 PM

[quote]"I'm not making a dime on this show and that's the fucking truth" the singer exclaimed hilariously. And you'll believe it when you see the large number of various performers take stage and witness how much technology is involved with the Madame X Tour, it's a theatrical spectacle and likely a damn pricey one.

The fact that ticket sales are poor probably doesn’t help matters.

She’s basically saying she’s just touring for attention.

by Anonymousreply 18September 18, 2019 5:19 PM

“No real surprises” says this review.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 18, 2019 5:21 PM

Ticket sales will pick up now that the reviews are out and largely very complimentary.

by Anonymousreply 20September 18, 2019 5:52 PM

She arrived onstage at 10.45pm???????????

by Anonymousreply 21September 18, 2019 6:18 PM

She did R, 21, but she was very apologetic and someone was constantly updating the audience. It wasn't Madonna's fault; it was technical stuff. I think once those issues get ironed out the show will start more promptly.

by Anonymousreply 22September 18, 2019 6:22 PM

R22 is adorable. She’s been doing the late thing for the past 20 years. Cut the crap.

by Anonymousreply 23September 18, 2019 6:28 PM

[quote]Ticket sales will pick up now that the reviews are out and largely very complimentary.

No they won’t. People are beyond over Madonna. She simply doesn’t sell. She ruined whatever was left of her career years ago.

by Anonymousreply 24September 18, 2019 6:29 PM

Milla Jovovich looks great there! Did she post her comments, too?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 18, 2019 6:29 PM

Sounds like a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2019 6:37 PM

Jabba must be seething.

by Anonymousreply 27September 18, 2019 6:39 PM

The opening show was completely sold out. Let’s wait and see later shows perform

by Anonymousreply 28September 18, 2019 7:00 PM

Does any show at BAM ever cost in this range? I used to go there when it first got hip again in the 80s and I also so that 1 night show that included Madonna and Sandra Bernhard 1989.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2019 8:16 PM

No, the show wasn’t sold out. Friend of mine got tickets the night before.

by Anonymousreply 30September 18, 2019 9:07 PM

You have no friends.

by Anonymousreply 31September 18, 2019 9:32 PM

[quote]Ticket sales will pick up now that the reviews are out and largely very complimentary.

No one reads reviews anymore. They go on YouTube and watch clips. And since she banned phones from her shows, no one is going to be posting any videos. I don't know what her team is thinking.

by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2019 9:36 PM

[quote]I probably has nothing to do with her being a really horrible human being.

What does her being a horrible human being have to do with her show?

by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2019 9:38 PM

Way to go, Madame X!

The album and tour are huge critical successes!

MADAME X Wins!!!!

Madame X is a winner!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 18, 2019 9:56 PM

RAH RAH SIS BOOM BAH

MADAME X

WE LURV MADAME X THE GREATEST

GENIOUS ALBUM

BEST TOUR EVER

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 18, 2019 10:09 PM

someone paste the nyt review

by Anonymousreply 36September 18, 2019 10:29 PM

That's about $34.50 per song. I'd expect a lap dance for that much.

by Anonymousreply 37September 18, 2019 10:42 PM

People who were there are comparing it to Judy Garland's Concert at Carnegie Hall. She was that good.

by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2019 10:43 PM

Her Madame X show reimagines pop spectacle for a theater stage, merging her newest music and calls for political awareness with striking intimacy.

“I’m not here to be popular. I’m here to be free,” Madonna declared to a packed, adoring audience on Tuesday night at the Brooklyn Academy of Music’s Howard Gilman Opera House. It was the premiere of her Madame X tour, named after the album she released in June that she has said was influenced by the music in Lisbon, her adopted home. The show follows her decades of arena spectacles by scaling the same kind of razzle-dazzle — dancers! costumes! video! choir! — for a theater stage.

Unlike jukebox musicals or “Springsteen on Broadway,” Madame X is a concert focusing on new songs and the present moment. In other words, Madonna is still taking chances. She will reach arena-size attendance in only a handful of venues on the eight-city tour, but with much longer engagements; the Gilman Opera House holds 2,098, and she booked 17 shows there, through Oct. 12. Onstage, “selling” a selfie Polaroid to an audience member who happened to be Rosie O’Donnell, she claimed, “I’m not making a dime on this show.”

Concertgoers arrived to what was billed as a phone-free experience. Cellphones and smart watches were locked into bags at the door, though quickly unlocked afterward. It helped prevent online spoilers; it certainly removed the distractions of waving screens. (No photography was permitted, including press.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 18, 2019 10:44 PM

As both album and show, “Madame X” is Madonna’s latest declaration of a defiant, self-assured, flexible identity that’s entirely comfortable with dualities: attentive parent and sexual adventurer, lapsed Catholic and spiritual seeker, party girl and political voice, self-described “icon” and self-described “soccer mom,” an American and — more than ever — a world traveler.

Yes, she is 61, but her music remains determinedly contemporary, with the drum-machine sounds of trap, collaborations with hip-hop vocalists (Quavo and Swae Lee, shown on video) and the bilingual, reggaeton-flavored Latin pop sometimes called urbano (with the Colombian singer Maluma, also shown on video). The concert, with most of its music drawn from the “Madame X” album, was packed with pronouncements, symbols and enigmatic vignettes to frame the songs. Madonna often wore an eye patch with an X on it, no doubt a challenge to her depth perception as a dancer.

By the time Madonna had completed just the first two songs, she had already presented an epigraph from James Baldwin — “Artists are here to disturb the peace” — that was knocked out onstage by one of the concert’s recurring figures, a woman (sometimes Madonna herself) at a typewriter.

Gunshots introduced “God Control,” which moves from bitter mourning about gun deaths to happy memories of string-laden 1970s disco, while Madonna and dancers appeared in glittery versions of Revolutionary War finery, complete with feathered tricorn hats, only to be confronted by police with riot shields. “Dark Ballet” had Joan of Arc references, a montage of gothic cathedrals and scary priests, a synthesizer excerpt from Tchaikovsky’s “Nutcracker” and Madonna grappling with masked dancers, until cops pulled her off the piano she had been perched on. The signifiers were already piling up.

And there were more. Film-noir detectives pursued and interrogated Madonna in another disco-tinged song, “I Don’t Search I Find”; “Crave,” which warns, “My cravings get dangerous,” flaunted a full-sized disco ball. A pair of robotic but sinuous dancers, with red lights for eyes, flanked Madonna as she sat at a piano for the ominous “Future,” while the video screen filled with images of urban and environmental destruction. She surrounded herself with a choir of brightly robed women and geometric Arabic designs in “Come Alive,” which used the metal castanets and triplet rhythm of Moroccan gnawa music to back her as, once again, Madonna’s lyrics rejected unwanted opinions and restrictions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2019 10:45 PM

The songs Madonna chose from her past were mostly exhortations and pushbacks, sometimes coupled with direct political statements. She sang part of “Papa Don’t Preach,” reversing its decision to “keep my baby,” then spoke directly about supporting abortion rights. Dancing while surrounded by video imagery of pointing fingers, she revived “Human Nature,” which already testified — a full 25 years ago — to Madonna’s tenacity and determination to express herself uncensored. When it ended, her daughters Mercy James, Estere and Stella were onstage, and the singers and a full-throated audience shared an a cappella “Express Yourself.”

The concert’s unquestioned showstopper was “Frozen,” a somber ballad from the 1998 album “Ray of Light” that offers healing: “If I could melt your heart, we’d never be apart.” Madonna appeared as a tiny figure onstage, surrounded by giant video projections of a dancer moving from a self-protective clutch to a tentative, then joyful unfurling and back. It was her oldest daughter, Lourdes, affirming the family connection in movement.

Since 2017 Madonna has lived in Lisbon, where her son David plays soccer, and she spoke about savoring the city’s music: the Portuguese tradition of fado and music from Portugal’s former empire, particularly from the Cape Verde Islands near Senegal. One of the show’s most elaborate backdrops simulated a club in Lisbon.

But appreciation doesn’t equal mastery. Madonna was backed by the Portuguese guitarra player Gaspar Varela, the grandson of the fado singer Celeste Rodrigues, in an earnest, awkward fado-rooted song, “Killers Who Are Partying” from the “Madame X” album; she also performed a Cape Verdean classic, “Sodade,” made famous by Cesária Évora.

Reminding the audience that she had sung in Cape Verdean Creole and other languages, Madonna boasted, “This is a girl who gets around. This is a girl who does her homework.” But in the songs themselves, she only sounded like a well-meaning tourist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 18, 2019 10:46 PM

Madonna was more suited to the harder beat of “Batuka” a song based on the matriarchal, call-and-response Cape Verdean tradition of batuque. Backed by more than a dozen batuque drummers and singers — Orquestra Batukadeiras — and doing some hip-shimmying batuque moves, Madonna conveyed the delight of her discovery, even as the hand-played beat gave way to electronic percussion.

Forty-one musicians, dancers and singers appeared throughout the two-hour-plus show, which came with the same wardrobe changes as any of Madonna’s large-scale extravaganzas (one, before “Vogue,” was executed before the audience, shielded by a dressing table). The singer wasn’t onstage for one of the most powerful dance moments, a break between acts when a row of performers convulsed gracefully at the lip of the stage to irregular breaths, set to a recording of Madonna intoning lyrics from “Rescue Me.”

Madonna spoke to and with the audience repeatedly, taking advantage of the intimacy of the room to tell bawdy jokes, apologize for starting the show late and sip a fan’s beer. But in songs and stage patter, she sometimes conflated self-realization and self-absorption with social progress. Contrasting freedom and slavery after “Come Alive,” she announced that slavery “begins with ourselves,” forgetting that the slave trade was not the same as being “slaves to our phones.”

Yet with Madonna, the spirit is more about sounds and images than literalism. “I Rise,” which ends both the album and the concert, samples a speech by Emma Gonzalez, a survivor of the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. then goes on to some clumsy lyrics. But in a small theater, with a gospelly beat, raised fists, images of protests worldwide, a rainbow flag, and Madonna and her troupe parading up the aisle — close enough for fans to touch — there was no denying the conviction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2019 10:47 PM

Is the tour being recorded for a DVD/Blu-Ray release? Why no cell phones? To ensure that only people who see the show are the ones who paid through the nose for a ticket? To conceal empty seats?

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2019 10:48 PM

A rather dry review, although positive.

Does anyone ever review reviews?

by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2019 10:48 PM

MADAME X SLAYED!!!!!!

Stay PRESSED, Hunties!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 18, 2019 10:49 PM

Surprised she included that many songs from the current album but no Bitch I'm Loca. Didn't care at all for Batuka, Extreme Occident (what?), or I Rise

by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2019 10:51 PM

Christ, you Madonna queens are tedious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2019 10:51 PM

The review describes in detail the thin dilettantism of her world music influences, and the incomprehensible sparkle-blender nature of Madonna's "I am an artist" agit prop, but then says nice things about l'artiste putting on a pleasant enjoyable theatre spectacle.

by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2019 10:59 PM

The only, "OH, fuck this" bathroom break in that set list is her self-indulgent, "Killer's Who Are Partying". I've been hoping she wouldn't perform that. It's her at her posing worst. I will be taking a long, long, long, long piss.

by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2019 11:29 PM

A buddy of mine in NYC went last night. His partner is 17 years older than him and a big Madonna fan. He told me today that he was pleasantly surprised by the show and ended up being, as he put it, "seriously" impressed. He said it was incredibly innovative and really entertaining and that he could see it starting a trend for scaled down, more theatrical tours by big pop stars. He also told me that he hopes he's as energetic and agile as Madonna when he's her age, lol.

by Anonymousreply 50September 18, 2019 11:43 PM

why isn't she doing a residency somewhere?

by Anonymousreply 51September 19, 2019 12:01 AM

I love that Jabba keeps repeating the lie about Madonna not being able to sell anymore... despite facts pointing to how her last tours have all grossed over 100 million.

by Anonymousreply 52September 19, 2019 12:08 AM

R47 and yet here you are...

by Anonymousreply 53September 19, 2019 12:09 AM

[quote]why isn't she doing a residency somewhere?

Residencies are usually at venues with at least 5,000 seats. If she can’t even sell out 2,000 seat theaters, why would anyone offer her a residency?

by Anonymousreply 54September 19, 2019 1:39 AM

R50 Yeah, whatever you say sweetie!😉

by Anonymousreply 55September 19, 2019 1:40 AM

Who has the link to how many seats she's sold? Please share them, thanks in advance.

by Anonymousreply 56September 19, 2019 1:41 AM

Yeah, whatever you and the majority of published reviews say, sweetie at R55!

by Anonymousreply 57September 19, 2019 1:45 AM

[quote] Residencies are usually at venues with at least 5,000 seats. If she can’t even sell out 2,000 seat theaters, why would anyone offer her a residency?

Well, Janet just did it and she can't even sell out a state fair.

by Anonymousreply 58September 19, 2019 2:20 AM

So the first and 2nd show were sold out. Let see if tmr show will sold out too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 19, 2019 2:59 AM

R59... but but... we've been told over and over that the shows have not been selling (albeit without any links) but I'm pretty sure we should believe whatever Jabba tells us about numbers. Oh, and any link that shows the shows were sold out are lies and/or it's because the label is the one buying the tickets or fudging numbers so it doesn't look like she's playing to empty venues. The only time ticket sales are real is when Jabba tells us Queen Janet has sold out!

by Anonymousreply 60September 19, 2019 3:06 AM

If you go to Ticketmaster, you will see that that there are plenty of tickets available for every show - including tomorrow’s. Sad she can’t even sell out 2,000 seat theaters. Guess fans don’t want to get as intimate with her as she thought.

by Anonymousreply 61September 19, 2019 3:24 AM

Or, R61, they don't want to pay what it costs. The tix are outrageously expensive.

by Anonymousreply 62September 19, 2019 3:29 AM

So sad. Pretty soon she'll be bankrupting State Fairs!

by Anonymousreply 63September 19, 2019 3:29 AM

[quote] So sad. Pretty soon she'll be bankrupting State Fairs!

In her dreams!

by Anonymousreply 64September 19, 2019 3:31 AM

One thing to keep in mind when looking at TicketMaster is that they tried to take scalpers out of business by becoming an official "reseller" of tickets. When you look at a certain date on the tour you can filter the results by types of ticket available. When you include the resale tickets (individuals who scooped up tickets but are now trying to sell them -- at a profit, of course) some of the nights look bad. When you just look at "standard" tickets things look a lot better. That's also because those resellers are hanging onto these tickets until finally dropping those insane prices at the last minute. I know three different people who ended up getting tickets for the last night for under $50/ea. Tickets that, just days ago, were being posted on TM for $300-900/ea.

I'd be interested to learn how profitable the tour ends up being. I believe that longer residencies like this offer significant savings on the usual 1-to-2 day load-in/load out of a much faster paced tour. But, she's obviously not gone down a cheap route here with more than 40 musicians and dancers on the payroll. I'm seeing her this Sunday. Blessedly, my friend and I managed to snag really good seats during the Citicard pre-sale for less than $100/ea (pre-fees), so, even if she does suck we won't be out that much. I'm kinda hoping that she drops one or two of the Madame X songs and adds in another classic from her catalog.

by Anonymousreply 65September 19, 2019 4:51 AM

I want to go but good seats are way too expensive, costing from$1000 to 3000 a pop

by Anonymousreply 66September 19, 2019 5:49 AM

R66 - do you live in NY (or in one of the cities she's playing?). Just wait until the day before or day of the show and you shouldn't have any issue snapping up an affordable ticket. These venues are so small compared to her usual arenas that they're all 'good' seats.

by Anonymousreply 67September 19, 2019 5:52 AM

Did anyone go to her 2nd night show?

by Anonymousreply 68September 19, 2019 12:29 PM

R65 Thanks for that “desperate to save face” diatribe.

by Anonymousreply 69September 19, 2019 8:44 PM

[quote]3 shows into Madame ❌ and Ive enjoyed every minute of this intimate experience! I ♥️ Looking into the audience and not seeing Iphone’s and cameras flashing but instead-eyes, smiles and happy human faces. However I am mystified and confused by some people who insist on sneaking in second cameras and disregarding my request to not record the show. This request is common at all Broadway shows, dance concerts, stand up Comedy and the Opera. People who ignore my request are not allowing themselves to enjoy The show completely but also show a lack of respect and consideration for my wishes. If you can’t live without your phone for 2 hours-this Experience is not for you. 💃🏻💯♥️❌👠. #liveinthemoment #bam #madamex

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 19, 2019 9:51 PM

Madonna often uses Such random Capitalisation in her Texts.

by Anonymousreply 71September 19, 2019 10:28 PM

What Madonna is doing here is true art. She is a true artist.

by Anonymousreply 72September 19, 2019 10:45 PM

[quote]However I am mystified and confused by some people who insist on sneaking in second cameras and disregarding my request to not record the show. This request is common at all Broadway shows, dance concerts, stand up Comedy and the Opera. People who ignore my request are not allowing themselves to enjoy The show completely but also show a lack of respect and consideration for my wishes. If you can’t live without your phone for 2 hours-this Experience is not for you.

I guess the rules she sets for others don’t apply to her, huh? I guess she conveniently forgot this incident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 19, 2019 10:50 PM

Madonna thinks she can just do whatever she wants, that bitch. Pretty soon she'll be bankrupting State Fairs without a care in the world!

But I don't really feel that bad for Miranda, he never actually called her out, nor did he say what she was actually doing. Grow a pair and don't be so passive aggressive. He's insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 74September 19, 2019 11:03 PM

Just left the show. She doesn’t come on until close to 11pm. The shows ends after 1 am. It’s a Thursday night. I am in my early 40’s and am exhausted and have to work tomorrow. I bring up my age because I was one of the youngest people there. Does she think she’s back starting out playing clubs in the East Village in the early 80s? She is has such disdain for her fans. This was made apparent tonight.

by Anonymousreply 75September 20, 2019 5:33 AM

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 76September 20, 2019 5:34 AM

You just left the show and you're exhausted, but you made sure to find the time to come to DL to post about it!

by Anonymousreply 77September 20, 2019 5:37 AM

R77- waiting on the subway platform at Nevins, cunt. At this late hour, there is a wait. But you wouldn’t know this. Living in Fuckover State USA. Test me. I’ll tell you anything you want to know. The audience member tonight she interviewed spontaneously in the crowd was Dan from London. What else?

by Anonymousreply 78September 20, 2019 6:11 AM

The fact that your immediate reaction is that I live in "Fuckover State USA," says everything about you hon...

You're very very defensive, sweetums.

You weren't the youngest there either.

by Anonymousreply 79September 20, 2019 6:13 AM

I don't believe you either R75/R78.

The obsession some of you morons have with trashing Madonna is just bizarre to me.

by Anonymousreply 80September 20, 2019 6:24 AM

R75= 40s but looks 22

by Anonymousreply 81September 20, 2019 7:03 AM

Bono was in the house tonite....

by Anonymousreply 82September 20, 2019 7:19 AM

im shocked that small venue was not sold out. wow...she used to sell out arenas for 2 nites in citys all over the world. unreal...

by Anonymousreply 83September 20, 2019 7:34 AM

Hate that she makes fans wait 3 hrs for the dam show. that's fukd

by Anonymousreply 84September 20, 2019 7:35 AM

posters here may be lying bout tix not sold out. the ones I checked were...however, she is fukd for charging so much for good seats. damn

by Anonymousreply 85September 20, 2019 7:38 AM

Anyone know which tv chat shows she will be on to promote her tour??

by Anonymousreply 86September 20, 2019 7:40 AM

I went to one of her Rebel Heart concerts. Same thing. She didn't come on til after 10, when it was supposed to have started at 8. We came at 7. If we had known, we could have sat in our hotel rooms a couple more hours.

by Anonymousreply 87September 20, 2019 8:37 AM

But she lectures us about respecting her. Bitch can kiss my ass.

by Anonymousreply 88September 20, 2019 8:43 AM

lots wont go to her shows no more for that reason, she makes us wait 2 or more hrs. fuk that shit

by Anonymousreply 89September 20, 2019 8:58 AM

I remember when Reba McEntire, who usually is nice about everyone and never shades other performers, posted to Instagram about Madame X being nearly 3 hours late to a Nashville show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 20, 2019 9:40 AM

She lost a lot of concert fans with that waiting shit....fuk that, us mortals gotta git up and go to work. HOW RUDE

by Anonymousreply 91September 20, 2019 10:08 AM

Well interviewer with some balls should ask her to her face why she makes her fans wait three hours now. She wasn't like that when I saw her early shows. Maybe ask her if she is so old now, perhaps she should start getting ready in the after noon and have a 4:00 dinner. That should kick her in her ass.

by Anonymousreply 92September 20, 2019 10:56 AM

Is it really true these small shows are not selling out?

by Anonymousreply 93September 20, 2019 11:21 AM

No, but of course.you already know that , Jabs!

by Anonymousreply 94September 20, 2019 1:28 PM

I’m scheduled to see her in Chicago, ticket says 8:30pm start time, so I should show up at 10pm?

by Anonymousreply 95September 20, 2019 1:35 PM

Wow, Jabba went apeshit on this thread overnight.

by Anonymousreply 96September 20, 2019 1:49 PM

Yes, and introduced us to some of it's new logins/identities. Jabba IS Madame X!!!!

by Anonymousreply 97September 20, 2019 1:51 PM

All these threads about Madonna have made me curious about her music. A request for those who know her stuff pretty well: Where would you recommend starting out? Most of her material is on Spotify so I am gong to make up a playlist of whatever you recommend.

by Anonymousreply 98September 20, 2019 3:04 PM

Just get her Greatest Hits and be done with it.

by Anonymousreply 99September 20, 2019 3:06 PM

My husband has always wanted to go to a Madonna concert. Seeing as the reviews are mostly positive, I've purchased two tickets as a surprise and we'll make an overnight trip to Vegas to see her in November.

by Anonymousreply 100September 20, 2019 3:13 PM

Madonna could easily do a residency-but then she'd have to cater to the Greatest Hits crowd, and she doesn't want to do that. I'm ambivalent toward Madge, but good for her in terms of doing concerts the way she wants. She's actually not selling out.

by Anonymousreply 101September 20, 2019 3:19 PM

All three nights were sold out so far, which is good.

Anyway, here is the review from Billboard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 20, 2019 3:50 PM

Review from Rolling Stone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103September 20, 2019 3:51 PM

But but... two days ago Jabba said all these negative reviews were coming out!

by Anonymousreply 104September 20, 2019 3:58 PM

[quote]I've purchased two tickets as a surprise and we'll make an overnight trip to Vegas to see her in November.

You'll need an overnight since she'll come on so late you'll get out in the middle of the night.

by Anonymousreply 105September 20, 2019 4:10 PM

after the tour bout 6 yrs agoo that was soooo awesome, with the horses in the film background, and red/white stuff falling from the ceiling, don't know if anything could top it.

bitch sold out ev city in the fukin earth.

by Anonymousreply 106September 20, 2019 5:07 PM

Meanwhile Janet couldn't give away tickets in Vegas with a free buffet.

by Anonymousreply 107September 20, 2019 6:47 PM

This her big comeback, a la Judy at Carnegie Hall.

by Anonymousreply 108September 20, 2019 6:59 PM

R95- for what it’s worth, the advertised start time in NY was 9:30. She came on ~11pm. So by that math she should be out 10 pm. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 109September 20, 2019 7:45 PM

Madge should make an effort to nail the start time within 15 mins. Public transport is not forgiving, nor are job schedules. Finally, won't anyone think of the senior citizens. And are her 2 little kids holograms or actually there. If they are there - its child labour and WAY past working hours. Lourdes is a video, right?

by Anonymousreply 110September 20, 2019 8:15 PM

[quote]All three nights were sold out so far, which is good.

No they weren’t. We got tickets just hours before and the room wasn’t completely filled. Live Nation pays for these reviews.

by Anonymousreply 111September 20, 2019 8:49 PM

Live Nation sent me tickets, a car, and a complimentary late snack at Junior's! House was half empty. Show dragged on. The cheesecake was delicious!

by Anonymousreply 112September 20, 2019 8:52 PM

Yes Live Marion is laying for reviews!!! No reviews are real or unpurchased unless they're Queen Jane's!!!!

by Anonymousreply 113September 20, 2019 10:32 PM

Live Nation is paying!

I'm Jabba my greasy fingets slip on the keyboard so STFU. I'm off to make up more lies about being at the show!

by Anonymousreply 114September 20, 2019 10:34 PM

German dubbed Hard Candy workout.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115September 20, 2019 10:39 PM

I was at the show on Thursday night. People were sleeping in their seats during the wait for Madonna to finally start. She’s got to get out there earlier than 11pm, people are tired and worrying about how they are going to get up for work the next day. It made my experience less enjoyable (and I generally thought the show was entertaining). A more awake crowd is also going to give Madonna a better audience, arguably making her performance sharper too.

by Anonymousreply 116September 20, 2019 10:41 PM

Another one. Get off your fat whore asses and workout with Madame X's dance routines!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117September 20, 2019 10:41 PM

At what point can a ticket holder get a refund? I'm traveling to see her and when I take a vacation, I plan. That next morning I have plotted out; I'm not going to spend three hours waiting for her to get off her ass only so I can cancel my plans for the next morning because a concert that should have ended by 11 hasn't even started yet. . If a ticket holder wants a refund after two hours of waiting, can they get one?

by Anonymousreply 118September 20, 2019 10:46 PM

[quote]Madame X is a more authentic version of @Madonna than we’ve seen on stage in some time

[quote]“Freedom is the theme of this show,” Madonna told an enthralled, intimate crowd at the Thursday (Sept. 19) night show of her Madame X Tour at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. “And the theme of my life, for that matter.”

ENTHRALLED!!!!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119September 20, 2019 11:16 PM

I’m going to Las Vegas for a vacation in Nov and planning to see her show when I’m there. The tickets are however too pricey and don’t know if it’s even worth it to see her live

by Anonymousreply 120September 21, 2019 2:37 AM

Madonna keeps using gay men for her own benefits

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121September 21, 2019 5:15 AM

Christ, the hate is certainly real on this thread, that's for sure.

I saw the show last night (Thursday) and it was completely and totally sold out. There were even people there thinking that they could buy tickets and they were sorely disappointed.

The BAM management practically cackled at them.

I've had friends who have been every night since it opened and they've told me the same thing--that it's been completely and totally sold out, not an empty seat in the house, and yet you bitter queens continue to blather on about poor sales. And "purchased reviews?" Do you really think that the _New York Times_ would fucking sell a review to Madonna who, not twelve weeks ago accused one of their writers of raping her? If you do then you're just a special kind of stupid. And the notion that Live Nation somehow guarantees a reported sold out audience for each concert is akin to saying that the Democrats faked the moon landing and the death of Osama Bin Laden.

If you don't like Madonna--and I can understand why some wouldn't--then fine; but stop the juvenile smear campaign. It's stupid and childish and for all her short comings, Madonna was one of the very few celebrities who supported us in the early eighties. Whether it was self serving or not is irrelevant. She did it and therefore is entitled to some degree of respect from us.

by Anonymousreply 122September 21, 2019 6:04 AM

I have seen all of the Madonna shows since 1985’s Virgin Tour.....Her last 4/5 tours are very formulaic......she discovers a new type of music..makes an album, brings the musicians who created the original sound on the road...rearranges some of her classics in the style of the new music....teases bits of classic songs with a verse/chorus...always has a male/male dance of tortured/angry love and the women all have fairly dykey haircuts..and then there are the deep thought voice overs expressing whatever spiritual thing she is into at the time.....but there are always a couple moments of absolute brilliance in each show......Madame X pretty much follows this beat but adds stand up/monologue to the mix and it makes her more human.

by Anonymousreply 123September 21, 2019 6:13 AM

Honey, she sold out BAM not Madison Square Garden. BIG difference. And why would your friends keep going to see a show by a performer who has such disdain for them she shows up three or four hours late? Not impressed. This is probably why she won't do a Broadway residence like Springsteen, She shows up four hours late and Bruce was on stage for four hours. Grandma's tired folks.

by Anonymousreply 124September 21, 2019 9:10 AM

lets do a class action lawsuit against her for starting her shows so late and causing us grief getting home...

BITCH!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 125September 21, 2019 1:26 PM

Oh so now we are admitting she DID sell out?

She's sold.out MSG and Yankee Stadium before, in fsct, in very recent years.

What she has yet to do is have to resort to playing and bankrupting State Fairs.... Yet. Even so, she wont ever get the pride in saying she did so in her 40s like some others....

by Anonymousreply 126September 21, 2019 1:59 PM

She’s now so ugly compared to the most beautiful singer on earth Jlo

by Anonymousreply 127September 21, 2019 2:06 PM

[quote]Honey, she sold out BAM not Madison Square Garden. BIG difference.

I'll do the math since numbers and logic aren't Jabba's strong suit.

One night at MSG: 20, 789

17 nights at BAM: 2000 x 17 = 34, 000

So yes, if she continues to sell out, that is a BIG difference, isn't it?

And the show's are all currently 90% sold out, which still totals 30,600.... still a BIG difference, compared to MSG.

Big difference. Huge!

by Anonymousreply 128September 21, 2019 2:12 PM

Can we all agree that she’s now so old, ugly and becomes weirder?

by Anonymousreply 129September 21, 2019 2:15 PM

And yes, I also find that Madonna going on hours late is ridiculous and stupid, and guess what? No way in hell I would wait. But if other people do want to go and wait, guess what, I don't care! Doesn't bother me one way or another because it has nothing to do with me.

But then again, I also don't have a weird obsession with hating her.

by Anonymousreply 130September 21, 2019 2:16 PM

Her hardcore fans will defend her no matter how shitty she treats them. They have no self value, respect or dignity. They like to be treated like dirt

That old hag can barely move nowadays. Her face has become really fug

by Anonymousreply 131September 21, 2019 2:24 PM

I am not a fan of Madonna- a few songs I like, and I do admire her insatiable DRIVE and creativity

The long review above actually makes the show sound like a NOT to be missed mess!!

What I like is that Madonna is actually being warm to her audience and engaged. Her blatant cuntiness has always been a turn off- and I respect that she has something to say and is respecting her audience.

I respect her far more than Ms. Streisand, selling $2000.00 tickets, CROAKING- literally CROAKING out songs onstage- with NOTHING to say. A pure money grab.

Never thought I would say this. But I respect Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 132September 21, 2019 2:26 PM

[quote]Her hardcore fans will defend her no matter how shitty she treats them. They have no self value, respect or dignity. They like to be treated like dirt

Exactly! Just like old haggy stans of Jane Jacket continue to defend her despite how many cancellations and #norefunds she puts them through! They all have no self-value, respect, or dignity and love being treated like leftover chicken bones, or first born children... discarded on the doorsteps of others. It's pathetic.

Here's to both of them bankrupting State Fairs!

by Anonymousreply 133September 21, 2019 2:26 PM

To be clear, I love Madonna hence why I was at her show Thursday night. I’ve seen her live multiple times and she will always be in my top 5. I’m not Jabba (whoever the hell that is, I gather the Madonna troll?). You can still love her and her incredible catalogue and still be crazy annoyed and frankly angered that she played a show from 11 pm to after 1 am. That isn’t remotely ideal for working professionals. Friday night? Ok. Saturday night? Even better. But come on!

by Anonymousreply 134September 21, 2019 2:40 PM

[quote]’m not Jabba (whoever the hell that is, I gather the Madonna troll?).

HAHAHAHA.

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 135September 21, 2019 2:48 PM

I'M THE Madame X Troll but I hate how THE Madonna Loon Troll thinks that only ONE person on the DL has problems with Madge.

I LOVE Madame X and can't WAIT to see her performance.

But I'm not as unhinged as The Madonna Loon and think that only ONE person here hates Madonna.

SLAY, Madame X! SLAY! (To use Janbot terminology!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136September 21, 2019 2:51 PM

The experience sounds like a nightmare - give up your cell phones, wait around for 3 hours, suffer through an incredibly shitty setlist, get home by 2 and be a zombie at work the next day. At the cost of hundreds of dollars.

by Anonymousreply 137September 21, 2019 2:51 PM

Nice try, R137.

Madame X is still winning!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138September 21, 2019 2:53 PM

Her looking older, uglier, her becoming weirder, her new shitty music and her inability to dance are the ultimate crimes

by Anonymousreply 139September 21, 2019 2:56 PM

[quote]The BAM management practically cackled at them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140September 21, 2019 2:57 PM

I honestly think that the main reason she doesn’t allow cameo or cellphones in her concerts is that she’s afraid her real face pic without being photoshopped to death be posted online.

She must look very ugly now

by Anonymousreply 141September 21, 2019 2:59 PM

[quote]Honey, she sold out BAM not Madison Square Garden.

This tour has not sold out. Vadgebot is just posting fiction as usual. The album tanked. No one is going to pay almost a thousand dollars for a show that is based around an album that no one bought. Almost all of those shows have tickets that are still available.

by Anonymousreply 142September 21, 2019 3:01 PM

No she's not R138. She's destroyed her legacy over the last ten years. And The Blind Ambition Tour is the final nail in the coffin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143September 21, 2019 3:01 PM

Madame X is a winner.

Madame X is champion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144September 21, 2019 3:03 PM

People keep using the term sold out as if it was 1994. There is no such thing as a sold-out concert today. There are so many secondary markets like StubHub and so many tricks pulled by the artists/Ticketmaster In terms of how they release tickets that you can always get a seat if you are willing to pay enough. I know some people who drive to a concert and then buy a ticket on their phone from the parking lot because some speculators over price their tickets and then are forced to unload them incredibly cheap in the hour before the show.

From everything I gather, ticket sales are surprisingly soft for this. But it’s not like seats will be empty

by Anonymousreply 145September 21, 2019 3:03 PM

No one said it was one person.

There are many, many, personalities!

by Anonymousreply 146September 21, 2019 3:04 PM

[quote]No she's not [R138]. She's destroyed her legacy over the last ten years. And The Blind Ambition Tour is the final nail in the coffin.

Yasss! She's destroyed her legacy by having her last two tours both top 100 Million and one of those tours being a record breaker, and both those tours further cementing her as one of the highest grossing acts in history.

Coffin nailed, hunties!

by Anonymousreply 147September 21, 2019 3:06 PM

[quote]This tour has not sold out. Vadgebot is just posting fiction as usual.

Fiction like all those negative reviews that were pouring out...any...minute.............

by Anonymousreply 148September 21, 2019 3:08 PM

EVERY Madame X concert sold out so far!

Stay pressed, Hunties!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149September 21, 2019 3:08 PM

I’ve gone to a few legendary artist concerts in the last year And all of them did 80% greatest hits, one or two deep cuts/newer songs and a random cover. Madonna always does about 60% new music. That has probably caught up with her Because she has now toured three times with music her core audience wasn’t really into. This is the fourth.

by Anonymousreply 150September 21, 2019 3:11 PM

I guess we'll see what her numbers are since she actually reports them, unlike some others.

by Anonymousreply 151September 21, 2019 3:12 PM

Well, people keep using reviews like it was a pre internet society. The average concertgoer isn't reading reviews to determine if they should go or not. They're watching clips on YouTube or downloading songs off of iTunes. And most of these "critics" today are a joke. They're paid not to rock the boat and give as much lip service as they can to the stars.

by Anonymousreply 152September 21, 2019 3:13 PM

[quote]Madonna always does about 60% new music. That has probably caught up with her Because she has now toured three times with music her core audience wasn’t really into.

Yeah and her last two tours still did over 100 Million in revenue... so I guess that just means unlike some other Artists, she doesn't have to and can get away with playing what she wants to do.

by Anonymousreply 153September 21, 2019 3:13 PM

R152 reviews mean NOTHING unless you're Jabba who will proceed to posting every review and twitter rave to prove Jane's show is AMAZING!!!!

by Anonymousreply 154September 21, 2019 3:14 PM

When you work for Live Nation, you get the best treatment.

R154 Get help. It's not even funny anymore. It's just real creepy and sad.

by Anonymousreply 155September 21, 2019 3:16 PM

Sounds like it strikes a nerve.

by Anonymousreply 156September 21, 2019 3:17 PM

[quote]When you work for Live Nation, you get the best treatment.

Her deal ended with Live Nation 2 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 157September 21, 2019 3:21 PM

[quote] It's not even funny anymore. It's just real creepy and sad.

The facts of that are very creepy and sad, yes.

by Anonymousreply 158September 21, 2019 3:22 PM

I can’t wait for the day Madonna realizes she was over years ago and commits suicide in front of her old gay fans via Facebook live

by Anonymousreply 159September 21, 2019 3:26 PM

It's the NYT Review that must really be killing people. Roger has spent his career hating Madonna and even he had to give her props.

by Anonymousreply 160September 21, 2019 3:26 PM

Someone forgot to switch their browser.

by Anonymousreply 161September 21, 2019 3:27 PM

Madame X's success is driving the haters even more insane!

They are more jealous of Madame X's success than they are of Maluma's body!

Stay pressed, Hunties!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162September 21, 2019 3:28 PM

Maluma's recent body looks better now than it did in that video.

by Anonymousreply 163September 21, 2019 3:29 PM

Madame X knows how to make her haters dance!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164September 21, 2019 3:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165September 21, 2019 3:33 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166September 21, 2019 3:33 PM

Well, I will give her a compliment...with an eye patch on, she loses her peripheral vision and at her advanced age it's shocking she hasn't flown off the stage yet.

by Anonymousreply 167September 21, 2019 4:04 PM

[quote] Honey, she sold out BAM not Madison Square Garden. BIG difference.

[quote]I'll do the math since numbers and logic aren't Jabba's strong suit. One night at MSG: 20, 789 17 nights at BAM: 2000 x 17 = 34, 000 So yes, if she continues to sell out, that is a BIG difference, isn't it? And the show's are all currently 90% sold out, which still totals 30,600.... still a BIG difference, compared to MSG. Big difference. Huge!

Oh look everybody, we have our own God damn Will Hunting. Now be a Dear, and do it with this place....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168September 21, 2019 4:11 PM

Awww Jabby no like facts. facts hurt Jabby.

by Anonymousreply 169September 21, 2019 4:20 PM

Whoever the Madonna/hunty loon is, Madonna has had 3 top 10 hits in the last 15 years, two of which were only because she collaborated with more relevant artists. Her music output has been shit since Confessions. Her high concert attendance is based on hopes she'll perform all her old hits. She can't cope with not being relevant and doesn't know how to bow out gracefully. She's an embarrassment now and her current image will stick in the minds of her fans. Her legacy is tarnished. Say good...bye.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170September 21, 2019 4:23 PM

Simple math is hard!

by Anonymousreply 171September 21, 2019 4:23 PM

We've been saying it for almost 20 years now but this time Madonna really IS over!!! She's totally destroyed her legacy and her next tour will definitely be the State Fair circuit!!!

Can't wait until she's performing Holiday in front of the cows and sows!

by Anonymousreply 172September 21, 2019 4:33 PM

good idea, lets all get together and sue her ass for late shows that make us miss trains/buses, ets…..CUNT

by Anonymousreply 173September 21, 2019 4:45 PM

BUT 3400 TIMES $400 PER AV TICKET IS 1,760,000 DOLLARS

by Anonymousreply 174September 21, 2019 4:47 PM

mus burn her hyde tho she has to work so hard to make that much, in old days she made that in 2 shows...

by Anonymousreply 175September 21, 2019 4:50 PM

i love how fucking pressed Jabba is. Madonna has once again rubbed Janet's face in her success while Janet has failed yet again.

by Anonymousreply 176September 21, 2019 8:19 PM

[quote]Madame ❌ so appreciates all who came to the theatre and enjoyed the show with their. eyes and ears only——However she is mystified and bewildered that their are others who refuse to honor her wishes and continue to sneak in recording devices or tear open the sealed pouches to film the show, Disturbing the audience and the performers and disrespecting her as an artist. If you cannot experience Madame ❌ theatre without the use of a recording device-then this show is not for you!! #liveinthemoment #nophonezone #bam #madamex

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177September 21, 2019 8:44 PM

Damn, Janbot is SEETHING.. Switching browsers and replying to herself like crazy! Bitch is trying her best to shit all over this thread.

by Anonymousreply 178September 22, 2019 5:44 AM

fuk off Madonna, ude be doin the same thing if u paid 500 for a dam ticket, u two faced old lady....

by Anonymousreply 179September 22, 2019 6:04 AM

I'm a hot and cold Madonna fan who's never been to a concert. I would go out of curiosity, but I'm not interested in paying half of my rent money to listen to weird versions of classic hits and crappy new music. Like others have stated, she should realize her audience at this point are people who want to hear her greatest hits in their original incarnation. Oh and she should lower her ticket prices too.

by Anonymousreply 180September 22, 2019 6:16 AM

[quote]However she is mystified and bewildered that their are others who refuse to honor her wishes and continue to sneak in recording devices or tear open the sealed pouches to film the show, Disturbing the audience and the performers and disrespecting her as an artist.

Tough shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181September 22, 2019 9:00 AM

[quote]Yeah, that’s me shouting “love you queen!”. This was the second time that night #Madonna passed by me that close! #MadameXTour #madonnafans #madamex #mafonnafamily

"Love you, Queen!"

A DLer, no doubt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182September 22, 2019 6:18 PM

So warm to her fans, as usual.

by Anonymousreply 183September 22, 2019 6:40 PM

[quote]Last night was amazing.............Thank you for coming and watching with your eyes and listening with your ♥️ #madamextour #bam

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184September 22, 2019 7:37 PM

Saw her show tonight with a few friends. It was a mixed bag. She was actually a lot funnier and warmer than I've ever seen her be, though could've done with a little less chatting. It wasn't standup, as some have said, just stage banter and some interaction with the audience. She's smartly pulled back on the dancing at her age -- it's mostly 'movement' now -- though she occasionally surprises you with her spryness at 72. I like (not love) Madame X, so I was surprised at how good most of the songs from the album sounded which is good because she plays, like, 90% of the fucking album. Best moment -- by a mile -- was Frozen. Sang the -- still perfect -- original arrangement without any embellishments or attempts to update. She sounded surprisingly good and was perhaps her most emotionally connected in that number. She performed it behind a MASSIVE black & white projection of her eldest daughter doing a wonderful solo dance performance. It sounds kinda silly, but it was actually really beautiful -- lots of audible gasps in the audience on that one. This was better than Rebel Heart and MDNA but no where near the heights of her Confessions tour. Still, quite an experience to see such a huge star in such a small venue.

by Anonymousreply 185September 23, 2019 9:12 AM

How in the world did I miss this?

Is this real? I Rise? Must be a remix.

Bitch racks up another one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186September 24, 2019 1:29 AM

After reading a detailed review from pop justice, I’m glad I don’t go. What a shit show. Retire already, granny.

by Anonymousreply 187September 24, 2019 1:39 AM

She needs Patrick Leonard back. She better figure that out soon.

by Anonymousreply 188September 24, 2019 3:20 AM

She acts lke she has lost her mojo....sumpin aint right wid her..

by Anonymousreply 189September 24, 2019 4:17 AM

Most gay men could smuggle a phone in their rectum- c'mon, guys!

by Anonymousreply 190September 24, 2019 5:20 AM

I saw her Sunday night and thought it was really, really good. The only other Madonna concert I've ever seen was the Confessions Tour and although it didn't rise to that level of choreography/dancing it was really something special. I guess "Intimate" is the best way to put it and that seems to be what Madonna wanted. Like someone said above it's kind of otherworldly to see such a huge star in such a small venue. Whether you like her or not Madonna is and always has been one of the biggest stars of our time, and she really did shine and prove that Sunday night.

People in the sold out audience were obviously enthralled all the way through it.

I don't think of myself as a Madonna fan; I'm 39 and finishing up my PhD at NYU so I went more for the cultural experience. I'm honestly glad I went though. It was definitely one of the best concert experiences I've had and certainly one I'll never forget.

I will say this: It's fucking CRAZY that she's 61 years old. To be able to move like that in your sixties is a testament to the clean way she's lived her life. Her life of diet and exercise has certainly paid off.

by Anonymousreply 191September 24, 2019 5:34 AM

R191 - any favorite moments/numbers?

by Anonymousreply 192September 24, 2019 6:20 AM

Can't you read, R192? He couldn't get anyone's phone number because the bitch locked up all the phones.

by Anonymousreply 193September 24, 2019 11:45 AM

[quote]@Madonna's #MadameX is #85 (=) on this week on the #USA @billboard Top Current Album Charts! (14 weeks) #MadameXTour

MADAME X is a hit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194September 24, 2019 12:18 PM

I saw her last week at The Cubbyhole, and she shot ping pong balls out her twat after simulating sex with a Shetland pony. It was very intimate (sorry, no pics).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195September 24, 2019 3:34 PM

[quote]“Artists are here to disturb the Peace”............. James Baldwin ❌ #madamextheatre #bam #jamesbaldwin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196September 28, 2019 1:01 PM

[quote]Love who you want and hate who you want; it's no skin off my nose . . . but I would sure hope you could find people more deserving of your hate than Madonna.

Why? You just said it was no skin off your nose.

by Anonymousreply 197September 28, 2019 1:43 PM

Skin? Nose?

Are we discussing whether Janet can breathe through that plastic triangle above her mouth?

by Anonymousreply 198September 28, 2019 2:37 PM

The same idiot poster keeps bringing up Janet Jackson over and over and over again. Taking a page out of Trump’s deflection playbook.

by Anonymousreply 199September 28, 2019 4:07 PM

Maybe since this has been well received she can take the opportunity to retire on a high note.

Not one she's sung, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 200September 28, 2019 4:08 PM

HAHAHAHA.... I can't believe Jabba tried it with that one.

The hypocrisy, the hypocrisy!

by Anonymousreply 201September 28, 2019 4:12 PM

[quote]She needs Patrick Leonard back. She better figure that out soon.

And Stephen Bray. Whatever fallout she had with them, she better make up and get over it because they have her her best songs.

by Anonymousreply 202September 28, 2019 4:23 PM

Reading the history of Madonna's earliest hits, most of them were written by others and intended for other artists, but then given to Madonna, who was allowed to add a word or two for a writing credit.

by Anonymousreply 203September 28, 2019 5:08 PM

She isn’t even able to sell $90 tickets to a freakin theater tour. I doubt this is the so-call high she wants to go out on. I saw the show. It was craptastic. She barely does anything and the setlist is fucking boring. The only one who like it are her remaining 20 fans. Her personality has always been a turnoff but she had some really good songs in the 80s and 90s. She’s been relying on her past history to sell herself and that just isn’t working anymore.

by Anonymousreply 204September 28, 2019 6:16 PM

^and all the critics.

by Anonymousreply 205September 28, 2019 6:44 PM

Jabba is PRESSED!

by Anonymousreply 206September 28, 2019 8:20 PM

I always thought the endless comparisons between Janet and Madonna were odd and lazy. They're both two different artists, with different strengths, different sounds, different styles and different skill sets. There's nothing alike about them except for the fact that they performed pop music in the 80s and 90s. Yet people compare them constantly on this site. it's so boring,

by Anonymousreply 207September 29, 2019 12:25 AM

Was her brother Christopher in the audience? With tomatoes?

by Anonymousreply 208September 29, 2019 12:30 AM

Here's the comparison between Madonna and Janet.

Madonna is a winner.

Janet is a loser.

by Anonymousreply 209September 29, 2019 12:31 AM

Madonna is miserable and still in a cult. She isn’t a winner of shit.

Oh, and her brother Christopher is a Right-wing pos.

by Anonymousreply 210September 29, 2019 12:33 AM

Christopher is a famous designer.

by Anonymousreply 211September 29, 2019 12:34 AM

Christopher hasn’t done shit in decades except coke and he was only ever known as Madonna’s brother.

by Anonymousreply 212September 29, 2019 12:37 AM

[quote]Janet is shady and was in a cult. She is the winner for bankrupting a State Fair at age 40. Oh, and her brother Michael was a Pedo.

by Anonymousreply 213September 29, 2019 12:41 AM

Christopher pretty much made Madonna. She owes her career to him.

by Anonymousreply 214September 29, 2019 12:43 AM

Hate that shit album and the set list sucks.

by Anonymousreply 215September 29, 2019 12:46 AM

[quote]Christopher pretty much made Madonna. She owes her career to him.

Exactly. Just like Michael made Janet.

by Anonymousreply 216September 29, 2019 12:50 AM

Poor Madame Flop.

by Anonymousreply 217September 29, 2019 2:08 AM

I see Janbot's back, switching browsers and talking to herself again.

by Anonymousreply 218September 29, 2019 6:00 AM

[quote]Oh, and her brother Christopher is a Right-wing pos.

Really? Got a link or source?

by Anonymousreply 219September 29, 2019 7:46 AM

Christopher is a genius. He was the first one to put Madonna on a cross on a stage.

by Anonymousreply 220September 29, 2019 1:33 PM

She didn't go on til after 11pm last night.

Zach Quinto and James Franco were in the audience.

Polaroid fetched $4000.

by Anonymousreply 221September 30, 2019 3:56 AM

R221 James must be gay then because only gay people are into Madonna

by Anonymousreply 222September 30, 2019 4:11 AM

Christopher posts his right wing shit in his Facebook page. He even supported that fat pig that wouldn’t give gay couples marriage licenses because it was against her religion.

by Anonymousreply 223September 30, 2019 7:00 AM

Madonna - 2031 World Tour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224September 30, 2019 10:15 PM

HAHAHA yassss... and she still won't have had to disgrace herself by having to perform and bankrupt State Fairs!!!

by Anonymousreply 225September 30, 2019 11:51 PM

She’s still pretending to be Jewish on Instagram. She is such a dumb vapid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 226October 1, 2019 6:15 AM

[quote]She didn't go on til after 11pm last night.

She pulls that shit in Bumfucke and she'll be appearing in an empty house.

by Anonymousreply 227October 1, 2019 9:40 AM

r224 made me LOL.

by Anonymousreply 228October 1, 2019 2:41 PM

Poor Madonna. Poor, POOR Madonna.

Have fun, girl. Do it your way.

Ignore the butthurt fans who give you a laundry list of things you NEED to do to make them happy. Not everyone is coming to the future with you so live it up, wear a wedding dress with a goddamn cowboy hat and eye patch and lick Maluma's big toe right in the camera. Have fun.

I look forward to the day when they roll you out in a wheelchair to sing one song before you fall asleep. And still it will be no one's business other than your's and the people buying tickets. Have fun.

Don't-give-a-fuck Madonna is still my favorite because she still triggers all of the right people.

by Anonymousreply 229October 1, 2019 5:36 PM

Making an audience wait two hours? She's passive-aggressive trash.

by Anonymousreply 230October 1, 2019 5:37 PM

It's not 2 hours it's 1.5!

by Anonymousreply 231October 1, 2019 9:44 PM

It's not 2 hours it's 1.5!

by Anonymousreply 232October 1, 2019 9:44 PM

I’m seeing her in Chicago on 10/27, Ticketmaster is finally telling people that it’s a 10:30pm start (which will likely become 11pm), but to be at the theatre no later than 9:30pm. Fuck that shit, I’m rolling in at 10:25.

by Anonymousreply 233October 10, 2019 6:01 PM

Oh, Madge.

by Anonymousreply 234October 13, 2019 1:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!