Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ugly, sad, shocking, depressing and/or violent art

Why do people want this sort of art leering at them from their walls?

I don't care how famous it is or how much it costs: if it's not pretty or soothing or inspiring- I don't want to look at it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 19, 2019 8:55 PM

OK, Hitler!

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2019 7:50 PM

I'm with you, OP. I like beauty. So much art today is intentionally ugly and disturbing, to the point of being ho-hum.

For me, David Hockney is a good example of a relevant and still-evolving art whose work is nonetheless uplifting.

by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2019 1:41 AM

I appreciate dark-themed, pensive art, a la Caravaggio -- and I see nothing wrong with it -- but whatever that is at OP looks like snuff. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2019 1:46 AM

I didn't even click on it. But any contemporary art museum is full of depressing art. Yes, it can provoke thought sometimes. I try to keep an open mind. But I'd love if beauty made a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2019 1:49 AM

Love this kind of art. My favorite is those two hanged brothers in Rijksmuseum.

Also author on your link doesnt know what he is talking about. Giger was inspired by Alien? Really. He made the design for Alien.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2019 2:52 AM

Remember Momo? (The sculpture was actually made by a Japanese special effects company.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2019 3:11 AM

I felt that way after touring the churches in Italy and France, OP; all the art depicted violence.

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2019 4:13 AM

I like it for the most part, and appreciated most of the paintings in that list. Would I hang most of it in my house? Probably not. But I still like it. Francis Bacon is one of the few artists whose work I find legitimately disturbing. Pretty scenes of violence more or less just wash over me.

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2019 4:21 AM

Modern art went bad after the War and the Atom Bomb. And it allowed charlatans such as Warhol etc. to get rich.

Hopefully, we are now shucking off all that ugliness.

by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2019 4:52 AM

How about the idea of a little craft to the art? Like a painting that shows some actual skill, whatever the subject matter? I'm sick of going to museums and seeing a brick and some thrift-shop paperbacks on a platform with graffiti splashed on them or whatever, and having to treat this as "art."

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2019 2:04 PM

Art reflects life. If not literally then figuratively. Many of the renaissance paintings at OP's link would be scenes familiar in every day life.

by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2019 2:28 PM

Okay, Gramps at r9. By the way, you smell a little shitty, you might want to check your adult diapers.

"Hopefully, we are now shucking off all that ugliness." Btw, r9, your simpering piety is more than a little embarrassing--the works of art in that link go back to Caravaggio and Goya. Give me the ugliness of Goya any time over what YOU consider beautiful.

Jesus, how provincial.

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2019 3:10 PM

and how juvenile on your part.

by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2019 3:17 PM

Juvenile? You're the one who has to go back in time to the atom bomb to find art up to your standards. What about Pollock and Rothko and De Kooning? They were after the atom bomb and WW2. Not good enough for you? Please, then, go back to your pre-Raphaelite years...in your head.

by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2019 3:20 PM

Add to them Jasper Johns, Rauschenberg, Lichtenstein, Susan Rothenberg, Bruce Naumann, Kerry James Marshall, Eva Hesse...I could go on.

by Anonymousreply 15September 19, 2019 3:23 PM

Now why isn't "Te Garden of Earthly Delights" #1? It's not even on the list. Not only is it the greatest painting, it's also the most violent.

by Anonymousreply 16September 19, 2019 3:31 PM

This is more OP/r9/r13's speed...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 19, 2019 3:31 PM

De gustibus non est disputandum

by Anonymousreply 18September 19, 2019 7:24 PM

[quote] Why do people want this sort of art leering at them from their walls?

Art has value besides being something to hang on your wall at home. You can appreciate art and not want it in your living room. The art world would be sad if everything was palatable enough for the average person's living room.

There's also the opposite argument. There are paintings so masterful, grand, and conventionally beautiful that it would be a waste to hang it in someone's living room.

by Anonymousreply 19September 19, 2019 8:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!