Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Waiting in line behind slow people with extremely convoluted problems

At the bank, at the store, at the DMV. You know who they are. You have a very simple, straightforward transaction and they are asking one million questions and chitchatting.

They suck. That is all!

by Anonymousreply 207September 25, 2019 4:50 PM

Sometimes I think they're just lonely.

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2019 9:17 PM

Sometimes they're pathological cheapskates who believe they're being ripped off and need the stock person to do a price check, the checkout person to call corporate, and the manager to come and sort it out.

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2019 9:20 PM

Wow somebody needs to take a dump.

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2019 9:22 PM

This just happened to me at the bank today. An older man chatting up the teller with a big line of people behind him.

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2019 9:22 PM

R3 is one of those slow, chatty people.

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2019 9:23 PM

Agree OP. Obliviousness drives me crazy. Often old people.

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2019 9:24 PM

I was at the bank on Monday on my bi-weekly visit.

There was an Asian woman with four passbooks that hadn't been updated in ages and her name wasn't on any of the accounts and she couldn't produce any ID to confirm who she was.

There was a man with several bills but he didn't want to make the full payment on them, just partial payments.

There was an elderly man who wanted to cancel his Canadian Tire credit card and couldn't understand that he needed to go across the street to Canadian Tire.

There was a woman who was beyond her credit card limit and wanted to increase her limit.

And lastly a very angry man who wanted to know why the bank had withdrawn a payment that he didn't authorize. The teller tried to explain that his account was overdrawn and the bank took back part of what he owned.

I just wanted to break a $50 bill.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2019 9:24 PM

This always seems to happen when you just need to do a quick purchase/transaction that would take half a minute.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2019 9:29 PM

All blacks/Latinos must be very wealthy, because they seem to have extremely complicated bank transactions that take up huge amounts of time and require numerous phone calls by bank tellers.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2019 9:31 PM

God spare us all the price-matchers at the supermarket. You know the people I mean — they besiege the cashier with an armload of flyers which they proceed to lay out all over the conveyor belt so they can prove that their can of SpaghettiOs is 12 cents less at the other supermarket. Then the cashier has to call the store manager over to approve the 12-cent discount. Ay-ay-ay.

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2019 9:33 PM

I do a lot of deep breathing in lines - I do try to be patient - I get that the older woman as an infrequent customer at Subway is enchanted with all the choices for additions to her 6 inch - or that the family with 6 and 7 year old kids is letting them choose their own meal at Wendy's - but mother of god - when you are in the supermarket line and the person stands there not helping to bag and waits until the cashier is completely done ringing the order before the wallet comes out or god forbid the coupons - really? Did you not realize you needed to pay? Could you not have at least gotten your wallet out of the overnight-sized purse you lug around on your shoulder? And don't get me started about the frau who insists on giving exact change - 93 cents - 18 of which are pennies which she has to dig out of her deep wallet sorting buttons, stamps and paperclips that are mixed in!!!

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2019 9:41 PM

I totally agree with R11. I don't think it is a bad thing to let kids pick out their own meals, but the time to do that is BEFORE getting into the line.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2019 9:47 PM

R7 I feel your pain.

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2019 9:47 PM

Wow you people still stand in line at the bank and at the supermarket? I have been into a bank exactly twice in the last 5 years, both times to do a Fedwire for purchase of a home. That transaction cannot be done online. At the supermarket they have this new-fangled thing called SELF CHECKOUT. There is never any line because all the old people are in the checker lines, with their checkbooks and loose change.

So many people create their own pain.

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2019 9:49 PM

R7, what bank still uses passbooks?

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2019 9:55 PM

Unfortunately here in retirement land (aka Florida) the major supermarket is Publix and they don't have self checkout because they are all about the customer service and chit chat. I have stood in line behind an elderly couple returning blueberry muffins because "they have too many blueberries in them"....I shit you not.

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2019 9:55 PM

A ShopRite in Brooklyn discontinued Self Check-Out, too much fraud.

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2019 9:59 PM

Oh wow, I didn't realize that R16! In that case, I am sorry for your pain! I guess I should realize that things can vary by geography. Please accept my apology.

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2019 9:59 PM

Why is there always an issue at the pharmacy?

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2019 10:16 PM

"Unfortunately here in retirement land (aka Florida) the major supermarket is Publix and they don't have self checkout."

Good for them. Only the stupidest, slowest, brain-deficient people use self checkout or the express lanes.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2019 10:21 PM

I can't even go to the post office because of this. I don't trust my medication being strong enough to not shriek at people doing this shit

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2019 10:29 PM

R14 - those self checkout lines are more trouble than they are worth. Unless there is an attendant standing there - and there never is where I go - the machines are forever jamming, telling me to start over or telling me there was a malfunction - help is on the way. I have walked away mid-check out more than once.

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2019 10:33 PM

R21 I have to go to the post office regularly for work and THANK GOD old people don't even try to use the self-serve there.

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2019 10:37 PM

I only need to use the bank tellers twice a year to deposit a royalty check but Friday was my most recent time and I was faced with an idiot blabbering on about his new baby to the teller while people were waiting. I reported this in the Bad Customer Service thread. I don't object to waiting if you are doing bank business but when are you not, then I do.

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2019 10:38 PM

It wasn't an incident involving a convoluted problem, but it was similar in terms of the clueless, oblivious elderly person who inconveniences numerous people:

A while back I needed to get gas on my way to work. The only two pumps available didn't have working credit card machines, so I had to go up to the cashier. This is when I discovered that an elderly woman, who was parked at one of the pumps with a working credit card machine, was hanging around at the front counter scratching off lotto tickets. This was at 9 o'clock in the morning! She was trying to occupy the gas attendant's attention as well even though, at this point, there were two customers trying to pay. The attendant was clearly annoyed but the elderly woman couldn't have cared less.

On the one hand, I was annoyed that this woman inconvenienced me on multiple levels (taking up a fully working pump and getting in my way when I was trying to pay at the counter), but, on the other hand, her life was so unbearably pathetic (I'll put money on scratching tickets at the gas station being a highlight of her day), I could barely get angry about it.

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2019 10:42 PM

R24 you don't need to go to the bank teller for that. You can just use the app on your phone to deposit the check via an image scan. Or deposit it at the ATM machine.

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2019 10:43 PM

People who have convoluted problems tend to have a convoluted mind.

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2019 10:50 PM

[quote]All blacks/Latinos must be very wealthy, because they seem to have extremely complicated bank transactions that take up huge amounts of time and require numerous phone calls by bank tellers.

It will only get worse once the Reparations checks start going out.

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2019 10:55 PM

[quote]God spare us all the price-matchers at the supermarket. You know the people I mean — they besiege the cashier with an armload of flyers which they proceed to lay out all over the conveyor belt so they can prove that their can of SpaghettiOs is 12 cents less at the other supermarket. Then the cashier has to call the store manager over to approve the 12-cent discount. Ay-ay-ay.

I was once in line behind a woman who had a big to-do over 89 cents. I was about to hand her a dollar and say "just keep the change and get out of line YOU FAT CUNT!"

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2019 11:00 PM

Most convoluted problems are the result of people having no common sense.

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2019 11:05 PM

I've been one of those slow people on a few occasions. Don't always assume it's the customer and not the staff person.

Two weeks ago I asked the DMV counterperson why my height was rounded down instead of at the number I gave, and he kept telling me M was for metres. I pointed to the number, he pointed to the letter. If I am dealing with someone who thinks the number six is a letter, I-have-to-speak-slowly-and-simply-to-him.

Last week I told the border security person how some ignoramus on the other side had threatened me with detainment (deportation would be infinitely preferable, that's probably why detainment was the threat) because I used my Green Card one whole week after I left, and the border security guy gave me helpful info as to where I could park to retrieve my spouse once our car entered 72-hour hold, and commented how the other side ignoramus was not well-informed. Lawlessness and ignorance has not stopped idiot officials over there, ever.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2019 11:06 PM

I was at a self checkout and a man started asking everyone else using them for $1 as he didn't have enough money for his purchases.

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2019 11:08 PM

I hate them old bitches who just have to write out a check for every little purchase.

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2019 11:10 PM

Self-checkout lanes are not necessarily faster, and banks don't have machines that break bills.

Yesterday at the supermarket, the woman ahead of me wanted to buy three votive candles. Of course, she insisted on doing it as two transactions.

Not long ago, while I was with my mother as she was having her Stop & Shop Card replaced, there was an exchange between an over-educated wasp woman trying to return her organic plums, and a Jamaican clerk, which would only make sense as an SNL skit (possibly In Living Colour).

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2019 11:18 PM

I think I've mentioned it on here before, but multiple times, I've just flat out left my cart full of groceries and walked out of the store, when someone is doing this shit. They know damn well there is a line of people waiting behind them, and instead of being more considerate (gasp!) they instead dig their heels in the ground and make it a point to PURPOSEFULLY take extra long.

In addition, is it just me or do stores with "express lanes" put the dumbest, slowest and most inept person to work the register?

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2019 11:20 PM

Do these worms not KNOW they are holding the OP up from his incredibly important business?

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2019 11:22 PM

Though I'm not entirely a fan of Aldi's food and selection, I do love the fact that you can get in and get out of there quickly. Stores like these seem to effectively deter slow senile people, and neurotic coupon clippers (they don't accept coupons there). I'm pretty sure they don't take checks there either - at least I've never seen anyone try to write one out. Not to mention, they don't bag your food for you. Their checkout lines as a result, move along much faster. The cashiers must be trained to have a sense of urgency about ringing up each customer as quickly as possible, and not chat with them. Come to think of it, I'v e never seen a customer hold up a line for a price check there either.

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2019 11:29 PM

I wouldn’t expect anything else at brick-and-mortar bank, R7. The only people still using them are too old or too stupid to advance with technology.

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2019 11:42 PM

This used to happen to me at CVS pharmacy all the time. I’d call in my prescriptions in advance and, when notified they were ready, would go to the store and get into the so-called quick pickup line (as opposed to the “consultation” line.)

But almost without fail, a customer in front of me would bring consultation drama to the prescription pickup line. It would start with the “pharmacy technician” (clerk) taking their sweet time to find the customer’s prescription order among a sea of alphabetized bags. When the prescription is not found, the technician launches into the customer interrogation: “When did your doctor call it in?” “Are you sure it was called in to this CVS and not the one downtown?” When the customer doesn’t know, the technician must locate and confer with a pharmacist, who then has to research the issue. The pharmacist returns with the verdict: “the doctor didn’t call it in” or “your insurance won’t pay for it until next week when your current supply runs out.” And so on.

The final insult: the customer then asks if he can pay for the 20 items in his shopping cart while he’s at the cash register. And the technician says “sure”

It was like a CVS performance art piece for those of us waiting in the ever-growing line.

by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2019 11:59 PM

Please be patient with the elderly! God willing, we’ll all be there some day. And they either can’t help it, or they’re lonely. Their bank visit may mean the only people they talk to that day....or week, even.

by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2019 12:03 AM

I can only imagine the havoc that older DLers will visit on lines around the world at that point in life.

by Anonymousreply 41September 18, 2019 12:10 AM

As a postscript to my CVS story: it usually wasn’t the elderly who held up the line with prescription drama) presumably, because they have their Medicare/medication game down pat!). It was usually a young or middle aged person/pharmacy rookie.

by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2019 12:10 AM

Yes, encounters like these make me nuts, but I’m In agreement with r40. Some of these people are desperately lonely, and this is what passes for their social interaction. Now, maybe they’re desperately lonely because they’ve been assholes all their lives....in which case, “Move it along, Toots!”

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2019 12:13 AM

I was in a long CVS line once when a dottering old man jumped the line, at the front. I took a step out of line to speak to him, before I realized his age and state, and then quietly stepped back into line. Then I realized the guy in front of me in line had done the same thing, immediately before me.

I wouldn’t want some old man to feel he couldn’t leave the house.

by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2019 12:17 AM

I really have to watch myself...a few months back I was behind someone with some insane issue. I uttered "Jesus Christ" ...I thought I said it under by breath, but apparently not.

by Anonymousreply 45September 18, 2019 12:22 AM

Don't most medical prescription plans now include a home delivery option? I don't take any prescription meds but am 100% sure my plan has that option because I read it.

by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2019 12:23 AM

What about after the slow ones have seemingly finished and they start to walk away but then suddenly come back with 'just one more question'. If you are next in line do you let them go back in?

by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2019 12:26 AM

R38 asshole. Some things still need to be done in person at banks and especially the DMV

by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2019 12:27 AM

I do have to remember that for some older people, their interactions with cashiers, bank tellers etc. are the only social contact they have all day and this is their only outing. They're very lonely and it's all they have. It's hard not to be irritated when you're stuck behind them, but there are some sad, lonely people out there.

by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2019 12:30 AM

R46, r38, I was required to renew my driver’s license in person this year. Last renewal, I did it by internet/mail, but every second cycle they want to see that you’re breathing. The motor vehicle agency like stores and so forth, have adapted to fewer in-person appointments by closing branches and lowered staffing, of course, so don’t expect them to be an easy wait.

R46, there are exceptions. I have two meds I can only get at my local CVS.

by Anonymousreply 50September 18, 2019 12:35 AM

At CVS there is always a big butt flat footed floozy holding up the line with coupons. I don’t have that much compassion, because they aren’t that old. Why don’t slim, attractive people care about coupons, btw? I’ve never seen a hot penny pincher.

by Anonymousreply 51September 18, 2019 12:42 AM

I've never stepped foot into a CVS pharmacy, but the one in my city that I go by regularly is very depressing looking.

by Anonymousreply 52September 18, 2019 12:45 AM

I'm usually very, very patient in these situations. I'm old, and I remember my parents being stuck in these scenarios. I'm not as patient with a younger person arguing over coupons, or demanding to see a manager. But, with older people, I try to figure out if they might need a little help. My Dad had Alzheimer's disease, and it was a nightmare for my poor Mom to try to pick up a prescription when Dad would just start talking to strangers and wander off looking for a bathroom. I did everything possible to handle those things before they got out of hand.

by Anonymousreply 53September 18, 2019 12:50 AM

I ❤️R40

by Anonymousreply 54September 18, 2019 1:32 AM

Some of you angry whiners should just get a grip. Get your fucking groceries delivered, for instance, if you get so traumatized over---god forbid--waiting a few extra minutes in line for some longer transaction. Same with banking: do your shit online whenever possible. You can scan checks with your phone, did you know that? And for those of you who are just too important to wait a few more minutes in a store or bank: get an assistant to do your errands.

Also, some of you are picking on cashiers/bank tellers? Sure, some could be faster and more efficient but I'd like to see some of you assholes here working a minimum wage job, standing on your feet all day and dealing with impatient and rude customers like you, those of you who roll your eyes and get all dramatic over trivial shit. You'd quit in an hour in a huff.

A bit of compassion goes a long way. Someday some of you cunts will not be quite as sharp upstairs, you might even get confused ---especially when it comes to money transactions. It's kind of sad really when you see an old person counting out those pennies. Maybe they have to rely on some of that change to buy food, not just for them but for a pet.

by Anonymousreply 55September 18, 2019 1:33 AM

R24, what was the royalty for?

by Anonymousreply 56September 18, 2019 1:34 AM

My publisher pays me twice a year by check.

by Anonymousreply 57September 18, 2019 1:43 AM

[quote]Good for them. Only the stupidest, slowest, brain-deficient people use self checkout

You're thinking of the people that shop in places where all of the items for sale have been marked up another 10%-20% so that the store can pay people to stand at the end of each checkout counter to do nothing other than bag groceries. And no, that isn't creating "jobs". It's creating excuses for people not to get a real job.

Self checkout is the fastest. You don't have to exchange pleasantries with a machine and you can get through the entire checkout process in half the time.

by Anonymousreply 58September 18, 2019 1:50 AM

Thanks, r54. I’m Pierre.

by Anonymousreply 59September 18, 2019 2:06 AM

Be nice to old people. They’re annoying at times, but they’re okay.

by Anonymousreply 60September 18, 2019 2:18 AM

[quote] There was an Asian woman with four passbooks that hadn't been updated in ages and her name wasn't on any of the accounts and she couldn't produce any ID to confirm who she was.

Why has the adjective “Asian” been added here?

by Anonymousreply 61September 18, 2019 2:19 AM

^I don’t have a problem with the adjective, but I am curious. It fits a stereotype, but it’s one that seems often true. Asian women are often bad drivers and difficult customers.

by Anonymousreply 62September 18, 2019 2:22 AM

R55, my dad is in his late 70s himself, and loves to swing by the local Arby's or McDonald's & such, when I visit. Those places in particular are filled with large groups of elderly, hanging out and chatting with each other. There are plenty of places for them to go and interact with others socially. A checkout line isn't one of them imo.

Recently, we got stuck in a long line, because an elderly woman (at least in her 80's) had a stack of coupons, but she accidentally tore off the barcodes on some of them so the cashier couldn't scan them. This went on forever, with the cashier having to explain this to her over and over. The kicker - her daughter was standing there with her the whole time, and made no attempt to alleviate the situation, knowing full well there were at least 5 of us waiting behind her. The daughter (a middle aged frau) was being a total bitch - that's the equivalent of saying "kiss my big fat ass everyone, we're going to take as long as we want!".

by Anonymousreply 63September 18, 2019 2:36 AM

R20, what's your problem? I can assure you self-checkout is a lot faster than the alternatives. You must be one of those people who aren't capable of figuring out what is going on.

It's also interesting to me that elderly people are looking for human interaction with their retail transactions; I'm constantly looking for ways to AVOID that same type of interaction. Grocery self-checkout is a godsend for that reason as well. Also, no one has been shot in some random shooting while shopping at Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 64September 18, 2019 2:37 AM

[quote] Though I'm not entirely a fan of Aldi's food and selection, I do love the fact that you can get in and get out of there quickly. Stores like these seem to effectively deter slow senile people, and neurotic coupon clippers (they don't accept coupons there).

The ONE and ONLY time I went into an Aldi there was a long line of SLOW and very DUMB people. I do not plan on going to Aldi again.

by Anonymousreply 65September 18, 2019 2:43 AM

Self-checkout at my supermarket often has long lines. You need a clerk to override alcohol purchases, as well as to settle the finicky machine thinking you put "unscanned" items in your bag, etc.

by Anonymousreply 66September 18, 2019 2:44 AM

Not convoluted problems, but when Trader Joe's is packed, every register is open, and the checker STILL has to make inane small talk with the customers makes my blood boil. I know it is their company's shtick to chit chat with the customers, but they should eschew the practice when there are dozens of people waiting in long lines. Like somebody else up-thread, I have made my impatience known to the checker then walked out, leaving a cart full of perishables. One day, a manager-y type guy (who's who there, anyway?) ran after me, out the door, to ask why I left without completing my purchases. I believe he came to regret engaging me.

by Anonymousreply 67September 18, 2019 2:56 AM

I can't even read this thread--I get too upset....I also (I'm old) get upset at the perky responses from the ones who have nothing but contempt for people who don't have their apps taking care of everything--"Life's a breeze on my app!" Yeah, sure, go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 68September 18, 2019 2:57 AM

I was in back of a WHITE woman in a suburban grocery store who was arguing over a two cent difference in the cost of fruit. I sighed and she said, " Be patient." I responded, " You're arguing over two cents with a long line behind you," to which she responded," Well, it isn't your money." I flipped a nickel to her and said," Knock yourself out." I swear, these WHITE women.

by Anonymousreply 69September 18, 2019 2:59 AM

It works best if you take a deep breath and just accept it.

by Anonymousreply 70September 18, 2019 3:01 AM

A book for OP and all who follow him. It's about to be released, but I have nothing to do with it. I'm just a fan of the author, who is a local comedian and has already dealt with many of these issues in her stand-up act, and felt that there were many on here who'd appreciate it. In fact, there should probably be a meeting of the DL Book Club about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 18, 2019 3:26 AM

Who the hell pays their utility bills at the grocery store anyway? Can't you afford a stamp and an envelope?

It's really scary how dumb people are.

by Anonymousreply 72September 18, 2019 3:30 AM

[quote]banks don't have machines that break bills

If I need to break a large bill, I deposit into my account at the ATM and then withdraw it in smaller bills.

by Anonymousreply 73September 18, 2019 3:35 AM

"It will only get worse once the Reparations checks start going out."

Will you be disqualified if your ancestor was a plantation owner- or an overseer?

by Anonymousreply 74September 18, 2019 3:38 AM

Here’s my line to ANYONE who camps out at the register bearing endless, insufferable nonsense:

(Loudly, and pointedly) Excuse me, you’ve overstayed your welcome. Get a grip, and get off the line now!

The shock and awe almost always embarrasses the cretin out of their tedious self, and generates nods and support from others who are also waiting.

I should state I’m 6’3” / 225. . That’s an intimidating look in itself.

by Anonymousreply 75September 18, 2019 4:10 AM

I have a flexible schedule and try to shop during the slow times (e.g., mid-morning), which is when the retired people shop. It's a tradeoff. The stores are less crowded, but the retired people do move slowly in the aisles and take longer in the checkout lines, etc. I still prefer it to the after-work crowd.

The coupon people are the worst. However, it's not really their fault. It shouldn't be that hard to scan a coupon.

by Anonymousreply 76September 18, 2019 4:16 AM

Let me bring up a particular peeve--express lanes. Apparently, something like "1-10" items seems to mean "1 to a multiple of ten items."

I have the perfect solution. If you use the express lane, you are charged $1 surcharge per item. (If you buy two cases of 24 baby foods, that's $48 dollars). The first ten items are free.

by Anonymousreply 77September 18, 2019 4:18 AM

My personal pet peeve on this subject is getting caught behind someone who seems surprised that she has to pay for her purchase, and then spends an eternity rummaging around in her purse looking for exact change.

by Anonymousreply 78September 18, 2019 5:02 AM

R64, you can’t take a large order through self-checkout in my supermarket. Even if you could, it would take twice as long because you don’t have enough room to unload your cart and bag efficiently. At the regular checkout, there’s usually a bagger (whose bagging skills are often questionable, but that’s for some other thread). If there isn’t, you can bag you own as they’re being checked through and put the bags in your cart. It really is faster than trying to take 50 items through a self-checkout.

by Anonymousreply 79September 18, 2019 5:19 AM

Some grocery stores, such as Giant Eagle, are now offering curbside pickup or they will even deliver your groceries to you. You just go to their site, and order your grocery list, and pull up and pay for it, and they load your stuff into your car for you. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm somewhat tempted to. There is a small fee - I think it's like 5 bucks, but I could easily rationalize paying it, because I would be less inclined to make impulse buys while in the store, and stick to my shopping list/budget.

by Anonymousreply 80September 18, 2019 8:42 AM

Wasting in line.

by Anonymousreply 81September 18, 2019 8:48 AM

The women who wait until the total is determined, then rummage through their huge purse, looking for the check book. Then, take their time writing the check and recording it in the ledger. After that, searching for the driver's license for identification, which the clerk has to write the number on the check. Then, getting the receipt and carefully checking to make sure that they were charged the correct amount, only to say," I though the frozen peas were two for one." When told that they bought the wrong brand, they decide they don't want the peas and ask for a refund, which has to be processed by a manager.

by Anonymousreply 82September 18, 2019 10:55 AM

R57, What do you write?

by Anonymousreply 83September 18, 2019 11:03 AM

R57, About how much is the royalty check?

by Anonymousreply 84September 18, 2019 11:05 AM

Same here, R57 -- I get royalty checks twice a year from my various publishers, and some of these checks are too large to deposit online where there are daily limits. So I have to go to the bank because there is not other way to put them into my account (I could mail them in but that seems ridiculous somehow). So I have to go to the actual bank now and then and actually, I like it -- it's really about the only time I get to see how insane most people are, how horrible these sorts of lines can be, and it makes me feel pretty good about not having to deal with humanity. Reinforces my hermit-like tendencies.

by Anonymousreply 85September 18, 2019 11:21 AM

R85, TOO LARGE? I want in! 🤑💵💰

What are you guys r85,r57 writing about?

by Anonymousreply 86September 18, 2019 11:37 AM

I write non-fiction.

by Anonymousreply 87September 18, 2019 12:19 PM

Agreed with r11, and am constantly shocked at how irritable people behind me in line are when I'm positively zippy -- I have my wallet out, my coupons out (usually I don't use paper coupons at all), I'm sacking up a storm, and they're pissy like I'm holding up the line. Sometimes they push my stuff or hit me with their cart. As I'm finishing up, I see them just stand there like zombies, not doing anything or maybe fumbling for their shopper's card like they had no idea the cashier would ask them for it.

More than once I've gotten everything sacked and in my cart, then I move out of the way so they can start sacking, and when I say "okay, here you go" they look at me like I've just said "your mother sucks cocks in hell."

by Anonymousreply 88September 18, 2019 12:35 PM

Thanks R13. R15 TD Canada Trust still uses them. I prefer paper statements since I do my banking online.

by Anonymousreply 89September 18, 2019 12:36 PM

[quote]At the supermarket they have this new-fangled thing called SELF CHECKOUT. There is never any line

There's a line at our self checkouts all the time, and the area is so crowded you're bumping into everyone even if you try not to.

by Anonymousreply 90September 18, 2019 12:38 PM

[quote] I have stood in line behind an elderly couple returning blueberry muffins because "they have too many blueberries in them"

You have more patience than me R16. You should have stood your ground, if you know what I mean. I doubt any jury would convict you.

by Anonymousreply 91September 18, 2019 12:38 PM

"Did this ring up on sale?"

Old lady at the register. Every time.

by Anonymousreply 92September 18, 2019 12:40 PM

R25 I stopped using a local gas station after it renovated some years back to include a Tim Hortons. People will block pumps to go in and order their coffee. There are parking spots for non gas purchases but they're on the other side of the building and God forbid these assholes walk an extra 15 feet to get their coffee.

by Anonymousreply 93September 18, 2019 12:42 PM

[quote]she accidentally tore off the barcodes on some of them so the cashier couldn't scan them. This went on forever, with the cashier having to explain this to her over and over

There is absolutely no reason the cashier could not simply key those coupons in. I would probably have stood my ground, too, if I were the customer.

by Anonymousreply 94September 18, 2019 12:46 PM

[quote]Yesterday at the supermarket, the woman ahead of me wanted to buy three votive candles. Of course, she insisted on doing it as two transactions.

There's a special place in hell for people these people. Split the bill when you get home and stop wasting other people's time.

by Anonymousreply 95September 18, 2019 12:47 PM

[quote]Who the hell pays their utility bills at the grocery store anyway? Can't you afford a stamp and an envelope? It's really scary how dumb people are.

That's a weird thing to call "dumb."

It's a holdover from the money order and check days. People would go to the grocery for everything: stamps, pay their bills, cash a check, buy groceries. Back in the 1990s it was the easiest way to get everything done at once, especially if the pharmacy and gas station were there, too.

When I used to use the grocery store payment kiosk, it was because my payment was due right damn then and a check wouldn't get there in time. And no, it wasn't because I was "dumb," it was because I was broke.

by Anonymousreply 96September 18, 2019 12:50 PM

[quote]or they’re lonely. Their bank visit may mean the only people they talk to that day....or week, even.

Sadly R40 that's the truth. My sister's MIL loves her weekly trip to the "food store" to see all her "friends". The trip takes two hours as she stops and chats to everyone.

by Anonymousreply 97September 18, 2019 12:51 PM

Self checkout is a rarity in the Northeast, and when it’s there it’s usually limited to 15 items or less.

by Anonymousreply 98September 18, 2019 12:52 PM

R55 held up a line to post her comment.

by Anonymousreply 99September 18, 2019 12:54 PM

I also write non-fiction.

by Anonymousreply 100September 18, 2019 1:00 PM

On the rare occasions when I get fast food, it always seems like I get either the idiot order/money taker or am behind the car with multiple issues. One day I got behind this woman with a couple of kids and another adult in her car. She sat at the window for at least 15 minutes trying to get her order correct. And I heard her, she wanted fries with no salt, and a bunch of other special accommodations that would have been handled better inside the food place.

by Anonymousreply 101September 18, 2019 1:00 PM

We could have a whole other thread on the fraus who can't just order what's on the damn menu and have to have every single goddamn thing specially made, with certain things removed and certain things added, and a side of this and a side of that etc. God, that's annoying.

by Anonymousreply 102September 18, 2019 1:29 PM

People often order "fries with no salt" so that the employee has to drop a fresh batch into the fryer, having already salted what's been sitting cold in the fryer basket. Odds for getting hot, fresh fries are better when a person specifies no salt.

by Anonymousreply 103September 18, 2019 1:31 PM

The term you're looking for is "line rage"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104September 18, 2019 1:43 PM

The term you're looking for is "line rage"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 18, 2019 1:43 PM

I can't recall having seen anyone use a check in a store. However, if you're ever at the customer service desk and the person ahead of you wants to get a Western Union money order, you might as well just give it up and come back another day. They can fly back to their home Village in Central America and hand the person cash faster than it takes to process those things at the store.

I'm the guy who goes to the bank to split his large bill into smaller ones, as my bank machine does not give fives and ones on withdrawals.

by Anonymousreply 106September 18, 2019 1:48 PM

Grocery stores should /not/ be accepting cheques.

by Anonymousreply 107September 18, 2019 1:49 PM

OMG Western Union! Just give up and go home, as r106 said. Western Union seems so archaic in this day and age.

by Anonymousreply 108September 18, 2019 1:55 PM

I occasionally get stuck behind an elderly woman who's writing a check, and yes it's annoying but I understand. People that old are terrified of technology and refuse to use a card so they still write checks and they're not going to change at their age.

by Anonymousreply 109September 18, 2019 2:00 PM

[quote]I can't recall having seen anyone use a check in a store.

I have a friend who, I recently discovered, does write checks in the grocery store. He's 78. The clerk rolled his eyes at me. I rolled mine back. Who knew? I hadn't seen anyone do it in maybe 20 years.

[quote]I'm the guy who goes to the bank to split his large bill into smaller ones

Why don't you just use it when you buy something? I know there aren't lines the way there used to be, but it would be a PITA to get to either of my bank branches while they're open.

by Anonymousreply 110September 18, 2019 2:08 PM

R110 : he could be surrounded by businesses that "don't accept $50s or $100s"

by Anonymousreply 111September 18, 2019 2:12 PM

R31 Your story about the DMV employee thinking "number six was a letter" reminded me of these golden oldies. Alex is simply asking for a number. ANY number. They give him "eleventy" and "threve".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112September 18, 2019 2:30 PM

I wrote checks at the grocery until about three years ago because our credit union's debit cards weren't very secure. Even now mine has been compromised twice and both times the credit union never even bothered to tell me. I finally just gave up and got a second debit card with a huge online bank plus a credit card to use instead, so no more checks.

When I wrote checks I pre-signed them and handed them to the cashier, who put them into the register where they got filled out automatically. It was quick and only a few seconds longer than using a card.

by Anonymousreply 113September 18, 2019 2:36 PM

I was standing in line behind a young woman at Walgreen's yesterday. She was buying maybe 3 things. She seemed to be having trouble with her card or the card swipe machine. She wanted cash back but COULD NOT WRAP HER HEAD AROUND $20 being the most she could get back. She made the cashier void out her transaction so she could start all over again and do 3 separate transactions and get $20 back on each one. Then when they were completely finished she tells him she needs fives for all the 20s. I wanted to fucking scream.

by Anonymousreply 114September 18, 2019 2:36 PM

It always happens at the bank: nowadays I go into a bank maybe twice a year, usually to deposit or cash a check. The place is the size of a mausoleum and there are NO customers, just me and the mysterious person already there, ahead of me, who spends 20 minutes wrangling with the teller. What the fuck are they doing? Why don't they ever get sent to a customer service rep at a desk? It's bizarre and it always happens to me.

by Anonymousreply 115September 18, 2019 2:36 PM

^^And yes, many times I have the strong impression that the "transaction" ahead involves a LOT of cash, and that my predecessor in line is very likely a drug dealer.

by Anonymousreply 116September 18, 2019 2:38 PM

r110 in some places (like NYC) it's damn near impossible to break a $100 bill in a store.

by Anonymousreply 117September 18, 2019 2:39 PM

I was in an express lane of 12 items or less in a in a large grocery store and I noticed that the woman ahead of me had a shopping cart completely full, probably close to 100 items. Then half way through the ordeal she didn't want a certain item and wanted it replaced with a similar item and we all had to wait even longer until the other item was retrieved. When this stupid asshole finally left I complained to the check out clerk that the woman shouldn't have been in the express lane holding everyone up she looked at me and said, "But she's a customer". The clerk turned out to be just as stupid as the hideous "customer". If I had to do it all over again I would have gone to the manager right away. NEVER again!

by Anonymousreply 118September 18, 2019 2:54 PM

I don't go to the bank very often, but when I do I ALWAYS get stuck behind two types of people: the older person who has specific instructions for their transaction, which results in a LONG conversation with the teller about how the transaction cannot be done the way the customer wants. The bank manager is then summoned, and repeats exactly what the teller told the old coot customer, but the old coot customer still refuses to believe it. And then you have - and I'll get flamed for this - the foreigner who apparently arrived in the US five minutes ago, can barely speak English, has also apparently never been in a bank before, and has no idea what he/she is doing.

by Anonymousreply 119September 18, 2019 2:55 PM

R119: the last time I had a "bank experience," the perpetrator was an expensively dressed, whorish looking, upper middle class bitch who wanted to cash a check for about $15,000 (WHY?). The argument escalated when it became clear that this cunt could not provide any kind of photo ID to the teller. She was with a 5-year-old child, and she had obviously just driven to the bank, with a HUGE "designer" pocketbook, in which there was apparently no driver's license of any kind. She fumed and stormed and demanded to speak to the manager, who finally told her very firmly that she was NOT getting her check cashed without the ID. She stomped out. Ten minutes wasted. Good riddance.

-R115

by Anonymousreply 120September 18, 2019 3:15 PM

^^prostitute

by Anonymousreply 121September 18, 2019 3:20 PM

R77 how about you be surcharge 5 bucks each for having more then 10 items at the Express check out line. 20 bucks if you try to pay with WIC vouchers

by Anonymousreply 122September 18, 2019 3:20 PM

R121 - It was Buckhead in Atlanta, and she had that *kept* "Mommy" vibe, big wad of car-keys in her hand, phone at the ready, listless irritable brat that needed whipping; the long, wispy blond hair being worked back and forth irritatedly...Just an expensive haus-frau, possibly European. And, yes, just a kind of whore, ultimately.

by Anonymousreply 123September 18, 2019 3:24 PM

^^It's always worse at the bank because the employees have to be completely obsequious and accomodating to the most irrational, rudest people you could ever have to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 124September 18, 2019 3:27 PM

Trying to cash a check with no photo ID. Wow, that takes a special kind of idiot.

by Anonymousreply 125September 18, 2019 3:32 PM

[quote]It's always worse at the bank because the employees have to be completely obsequious and accomodating to the most irrational, rudest people you could ever have to deal with.

This is why I never could've worked in customer service. I just couldn't remain polite and accommodating to people who are rude assholes.

by Anonymousreply 126September 18, 2019 3:36 PM

R109 I was in a bakery on Sunday and an elderly man was using his debit card to pay. Thing is he didn't know how to use it. The lady behind the counter had to walk him through the steps and then he didn't remember his pin number, so had to get on the phone with his wife who told the cashier what it was.

by Anonymousreply 127September 18, 2019 5:24 PM

[quote]Trying to cash a check with no photo ID. Wow, that takes a special kind of idiot.

Democrats say it's racist to expect people to have a photo ID in order to vote. I'm not sure how cashing a check is any different.

by Anonymousreply 128September 18, 2019 7:42 PM

I don't know how anyone cannot have a photo ID, unless they're deliberately trying to hide from the authorities or whomever.

by Anonymousreply 129September 18, 2019 7:46 PM

[quote]I have a flexible schedule and try to shop during the slow times (e.g., mid-morning), which is when the retired people shop. It's a tradeoff. The stores are less crowded, but the retired people do move slowly in the aisles and take longer in the checkout lines, etc. I still prefer it to the after-work crowd.

Around 8pm is the best time. The elderly are in bed and the fraus are at home. It's mostly younger single guys.

by Anonymousreply 130September 18, 2019 7:47 PM

True r130. That's the best time to go to the grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 131September 18, 2019 7:48 PM

Even with a photo ID, you only get at most the first $500 of a large check then and there. Do not go near a supermarket at anytime on a Sunday. Just don't do it!

by Anonymousreply 132September 18, 2019 7:51 PM

So kept woman does mean housewife.

by Anonymousreply 133September 18, 2019 8:02 PM

R120 sounds like a Russian hooker on an expired visa.

by Anonymousreply 134September 18, 2019 8:19 PM

R26 Some of us get checks for amounts that are too large to be deposited via app (Chase app won't accept checks over $5000).

I had some checks eaten by my local Chase ATM. I take my over $5000 checks to the teller directly and bypass the faulty ATM.

by Anonymousreply 135September 18, 2019 8:29 PM

The absolute worst are people who successfully rush to beat you in line and then proceed to have incredibly long, complicated issues.

by Anonymousreply 136September 18, 2019 8:29 PM

I haven't been inside a bank in many years, but recently I had a $10k check that was too large to deposit by app.

The bank had a security guard in it, and everyone other customer in there was black...all with "complex" transactions.

My deposit took all of 20 seconds when I finally got waited on after about 25 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 137September 18, 2019 8:33 PM

[quote] Around 8pm is the best time. The elderly are in bed and the fraus are at home. It's mostly younger single guys.

Agree. 8pm or even later. Only thing to watch out for is the large floor cleaning machines that they use late at night. (Can't get to the aisle when they're cleaning.)

by Anonymousreply 138September 18, 2019 8:40 PM

Self checkout at the supermarket has failed. Lifting a 5 pound case of soda or beer and maneuvering it to get the reader to scan it, needing the attendant to do all vegetables, the “place item in bag” incorrect warnings and the unreadable UPC bar codes leave me so frustrated - and dependent on the distracted, overtaxed attendant - I prefer to just wait in line.

by Anonymousreply 139September 18, 2019 8:40 PM

r137 on the rare occasions I use a bank, I try to go to a branch in the suburbs. If I use one in the city, I get a scenario exactly as you describe.

by Anonymousreply 140September 18, 2019 8:42 PM

It's funny when a bar code won't scan but it does immediately for the staff member. This happened to me yesterday who looked at me like I was an idiot. I had to wait for a free machine at the self-checkout too.

by Anonymousreply 141September 18, 2019 10:03 PM

"That's the best time to go to the grocery store."

The worst time to go to Target is Saturday and Sunday, late mornings to early evenings. The frauen drag their children there to misbehave and throw temper tantrums. The frauen can't leave the kids with daddy cause he's way too busy watching pro football/pro baseball/pro basketball/pro hockey or college football/college basketball and the kids would distract him from watching TV, making sports bets on FanDuel and his current standings in his fantasy football leagues. In other words, most Dads don't want to be bothered with their own demon seed spawn.

by Anonymousreply 142September 18, 2019 10:17 PM

r129, I let my photo id expire a few years ago and didn't get a new one for a year. it's how I quit smoking. no ID, no cigarettes purchase. I doubt that's why people don't have one for the most part though.

I do know that now that most IDs are mailed to you, many homeless or housing insecure people cannot get ID.

Back on topic, when I did renew my photo Id I was dreading go to the DMV because of stupid people and long lines but I was in and out in under half an hour.

by Anonymousreply 143September 18, 2019 10:21 PM

Eh, I think if you grow up in a large city, waiting for others is just an inevitable part of life. In LA, there is just no escaping it as there are so many people -- at the store, in queues, in traffic. You just gotta learn to roll with it otherwise you'll have a very frustrating time all of the time..

by Anonymousreply 144September 19, 2019 12:15 AM

In my area, we have a few supermarkets that are open 24/7. I've become such a curmudgeon that I will only go after midnight. The markets are virtually empty except for the restocking and cleaning crews. I haven't encountered a crying baby in many months. It is heavenly.

by Anonymousreply 145September 19, 2019 12:54 AM

I got stuck at the airport ticket counter (I needed to check my bag in) behind a younger moron who had showed up on the wrong day for her trip. She refused to go away when the agent informed her that they would not change her non-refundable, Basic Economy ticket to today's flight unless she paid the mandatory change fee.

by Anonymousreply 146September 19, 2019 1:08 AM

Podcasts and smart phones generally have really, really been a lifesaver for me. So much less annoyed in banks or supermarkets than I used to be.

by Anonymousreply 147September 19, 2019 1:23 AM

Shoplifters and thieves hold up the line asking stupid questions and making a scene to distract harried minimum wage earning sales clerks

by Anonymousreply 148September 19, 2019 1:23 AM

I live in Ontario and we have to go to the License Bureau to get a sticker for our license plate every year. I was waiting in line when it was an old man's turn at the front. The clerk looked at his form and told him that he didn't have the emissions test done on his car and therefore it couldn't be processed. He opened his mouth in a stunned manner, just kept looking at her, and said not one single word. She kept on trying to talk to him but he remained speechless with his face frozen in that blank stare and open mouth. When I left he was still standing there, holding up the line like a zombie. Some people need a keeper to go with them and sort things out.

by Anonymousreply 149September 19, 2019 1:33 AM

[R20], what's your problem? I can assure you self-checkout is a lot faster than the alternatives.

The scales on either side of the scanner are too finely calibrated to detect whether an item has been placed in the bagging area without being scanned. Some are tared to a few grams so even repositioning the bag or rearranging items inside of the bag suspends the transaction until the one employee who is overseeing a dozen busy self-checkouts can come and clear it. I don't want to look up SKUs for produce and bakery items or wait while other customers look up theirs. Cashiers often have them memorized and can key them in much more quickly than the average shopper.

Also, why would anyone want to help a corporation eliminate jobs and increase profits?

by Anonymousreply 150September 19, 2019 2:58 AM

I write fiction.

by Anonymousreply 151September 19, 2019 4:25 AM

R143, I assume you don’t drive. Note that in the original story, the suspicious person with the large check drove to the bank.

I’m asked to show a photo ID several times a year, most recently when I checked into a hotel. You’d also need one to board a plane. Occasionally, the clerk at the liquor store gets very persnickety and wants to see my ID, which is hilarious considering I’m 62. For most people, they’re a necessity of life.

by Anonymousreply 152September 19, 2019 6:35 AM

I get asked for a photo ID regularly in my day-to-day life, I don't know how a person could function without one.

by Anonymousreply 153September 19, 2019 7:01 AM

wow this thread brings the pointless bitchery

by Anonymousreply 154September 19, 2019 11:19 AM

wow this thread brings the Captain Obviouses.

by Anonymousreply 155September 19, 2019 11:29 AM

R149 I see many seniors like that out everyday.

An older guy at Canadian Tire trying to ask the clerk for CLR and he just couldn't get out what he wanted.

I look at them and wonder if they don't have family, or if they do the family doesn't give two shits about them.

Or if they're those stubborn old people who insist on doing everything themselves no matter how badly they cock it up.

I've lost jobs because I left work to take my parents out to do something. It terrified me the idea of them having to navigate this shitty society on their own.

by Anonymousreply 156September 19, 2019 11:43 AM

I'm guessing Canadian Tire sells more than just tires?

by Anonymousreply 157September 19, 2019 12:45 PM

[quote] wow this thread brings the Captain Obviouses.

Obvii. As in octopi.

Apparently, this thread also brings out people who weren’t Ivy League educated.

by Anonymousreply 158September 19, 2019 12:51 PM

R137, What was that check for?

[quote] I write nonfiction.

R85, r57, What kind of nonfiction? For who? Etc. We need details, honey. Some of us are eating fries for dinner out here!

by Anonymousreply 159September 19, 2019 12:57 PM

There have been times, while standing behind a difficult customer unreasonably holding up the line, to just look up the store phone number on my phone and call the front desk myself and ask them to send a manager over to our lane to address what's wrong.

by Anonymousreply 160September 19, 2019 11:41 PM
by Anonymousreply 161September 20, 2019 11:48 AM

R159 -- if I revealed what I write, I'd reveal who I am. It'd be that obvious. I'd prefer to remain anonymous,

by Anonymousreply 162September 20, 2019 12:12 PM

In NYC I go nuts having to wait behind old people as they play their lottery numbers. Some if them take 15 minutes. I want to punch them.

by Anonymousreply 163September 20, 2019 1:51 PM

Oh god, the lottery people! I always get stuck behind them when I just need to make a quick purchase. I always feel like saying to them "why don't you just take that money and flush it down the toilet?"

by Anonymousreply 164September 20, 2019 2:46 PM

I think it's a variety of reasons, depending on the situation. Some people are lonely and have nowhere to go, so their chat with the bank teller might be the only human interaction they have all day. Some people are oblivious or thoughtless and don't even realize there are ten people waiting behind them. Others believe every institution is trying to rip them off. Then there are those who suddenly realize they have to pay and need to dig out their wallet and cash. Then there's me, I watch the register and question overcharges.

by Anonymousreply 165September 20, 2019 2:53 PM

It’s one of the joys of living in NYC - for the most part everyone is aware of wasting time. When I go to the Midwest or South, it can be incredibly aggravating how slow and inattentive cashiers are. Though NyC is a tough place to work, as a customer I appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 166September 20, 2019 5:00 PM

"It’s one of the joys of living in NYC - for the most part everyone is aware of wasting time."

Is that why the cube dwellers are posting on DL while they are supposed to be working?

by Anonymousreply 167September 20, 2019 8:05 PM

R162 So, poaching ideas from the DL, eh?

We’re making it easy for that one over there to cash huge checks, fellas! 😒

by Anonymousreply 168September 20, 2019 10:41 PM

[quote] Then there's me, I watch the register and question overcharges.

How often do you find them, and for how much? Is it worth the time you're investing, and the time of everyone behind you in line?

I have a general idea of how much I've spent when I approach the register. If the final amount seems outlandishly high, I ask to review the purchases. I can't be bothered to worry about a dollar or two. Seriously ... what's the big deal? You can't take it with you.

by Anonymousreply 169September 21, 2019 1:30 AM

R166, unfortunately, that joy is outweighed by the large number of people who, to quote R165, believe that every institution is trying to rip them off. I've never met so many suspicious people in my life. When I moved out of the city, there were many things I missed, but one of them was definitely not that attitude of constant wariness and fear that every person you transacted business with was trying to take advantage of you.

by Anonymousreply 170September 21, 2019 1:35 AM

Believe me R170, rural America is FULL of suspicious paranoids. They make up a great part of Donald's "base". They think everyone, and especially "the Government" is out to get them.

by Anonymousreply 171September 21, 2019 1:24 PM

R169, I too have a general idea of how much my bills and groceries and services should cost. However, I'd estimate that about once a week I get overcharged at a restaurant, supermarket, hardware store, etc. Earlier this week, I purchased six gallons of paint at a local hardware store, they charged me for eight. I don't want to keep people waiting, but I also don't want to overpay.

by Anonymousreply 172September 21, 2019 7:04 PM

Many cashiers will over ring and pull the cash for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 173September 21, 2019 7:12 PM

[quote] [R14] - those self checkout lines are more trouble than they are worth. Unless there is an attendant standing there - and there never is where I go - the machines are forever jamming, telling me to start over or telling me there was a malfunction - help is on the way. I have walked away mid-check out more than once

In my area you cannot use plastic bags. You either buy paper bags or have your own reusable bags. They prefer if you have reusables. But as soon as you put the reusable bag in the bagging area, the machine tells you to remove it. “Remove item from bagging area”

It’s a goddamn bag, bitch. That’s where it belongs.

by Anonymousreply 174September 21, 2019 7:43 PM

I am usually behind the fucktards that can't get the credit card chip insertion correctly, pull it out too fast, or some fucked up thing, then wait as it gets the OK for the charge, or the person who sends their friend for something they forgot, the person who waits until the cashier tells them the amount, then opens their purse/wallet and then begins to explore where the card is, the fucksticks that have to unfold their shopping bags like they are unfolding the Shroud of Turin or the confused ones that thought that the coupon said they get everything free that day.

And to the Millenial that says above, "use the self checkout", yes that WOULD work IF there were not confused and stupid people rescanning and being generally insane as they try to negotiate a purchase as the three out of four of the machines have "wait for store attendant" because they made a grevious error to cause the thing to seize up, or have one stupid, bored-looking self-checkout overseer playing with their phone fetish object as two old people can't figure out how to checkout.

by Anonymousreply 175September 21, 2019 8:34 PM

Self-checkout is great in theory, but yes the machines are always fucking up.

by Anonymousreply 176September 21, 2019 8:43 PM

[quote] At the supermarket they have this new-fangled thing called SELF CHECKOUT. There is never any line because all the old people are in the checker lines, with their checkbooks and loose change.

Shut the fuck up. Those self check outs are full of morons who don't know what they are doing or worse, don't give a shit what they are doing.

I hate when those coupon cunts go through self check out with a cart full of stuff. None of the coupons will go through and the cashier always has to stand over there for 10 minutes assisting the coupon cunt all while everyone else is having to stand up there because she can't help anyone else who might have had a problem with the self check out (like their coat accidentally touches the bag and the register stops until the cashier fixes it)

by Anonymousreply 177September 21, 2019 8:54 PM

The coupon people are maddening.

by Anonymousreply 178September 21, 2019 8:56 PM

Lately I have noticed a lot of people with handicap license plates (or rear view mirror cards), parking in regular parking spots (right next to the handicap parking space) while the handicap spots remain empty.

That pisses me off to no end. If there weren't cameras in the parking lot I would rip off their license plates and throw them out somewhere else. Sometimes I do walk by and spit on their driver side window

And we don't have food delivery in my town

by Anonymousreply 179September 21, 2019 9:11 PM

R174, you should realize that the self check out works by weighing the items. That's how it knows if people are trying to steal things

Every item (except produce) is weighed and entered into the computer system. Each item you scan is computed. If the check out detects any extra weight it stops and tells you to remove it

by Anonymousreply 180September 21, 2019 9:15 PM

R175 - 😂 Hysterical! I had a mini anxious attack reading your post, but totally worth it.

by Anonymousreply 181September 21, 2019 9:45 PM

Some of you are assholes. Very often older people (or mentally ill people) are quite anxious and fearful and it makes things worse. Maybe it’s only a few cents, but that doesn’t change the fact that they are very worried about finances and fearful of being ripped off - either on purpose or accidentally. They aren’t trying to delay you, they’re scared and don’t distinguish between 25 cents and 25 dollars. And they may have spent hours clipping and organizing their coupons. They are allowed to use them, stores and manufacturers provide them, so cool your jets and stop begrudging people their transactions.

They are all afraid of their physical environment. When an old person isn’t delaying, but is freaking out about how long it’s taking? They may have a partner with Alzheimer’s at home who shouldn’t be left alone. Or they know they are going to need a bathroom soon. Last week I had an older woman behind me in line who was freaking out because she was going to miss her bus (that wasn’t coming for 45 minutes). She was a PITA, but she was afraid of being stuck. What happens if she’s stuck? Does she know how to get an Uber? Can she walk home? No. Can she call her spouse? He’s probably dead or can’t drive either.

I’m only in my 50’s, but I can’t read much without reading glasses. People who are 80 can’t see shit. They aren’t sure what the coupon says. They can’t SEE the self checkout screen well enough to use it. And when you bag your groceries at self checkout you have to handle them a lot more. Guess what? That’s actually a physical challenge for the elderly. The staging areas are small and if they drop something on the ground they can’t pick it up. Can’t.

And the pharmacy? Are you kidding? Some of those folks take a lot of meds and they need to be careful. And they can’t read the labels - the lettering is tiny. They have no fucking idea what’s in that bottle once they get it home. Hopefully someone stops by once a week and puts the pills in their day of the week case. The drugs are expensive and they can’t just pay retail if there is an insurance issue, and that happens a lot. Sometimes drugs are temporarily unavailable, and that really freaks out old people. They may only have a ride to the pharmacy on Wednesdays. They can’t go back on Thursday to get their diabetes meds if they aren’t in stock or the doc forgot to all them in.

I’m a very impatient person but I have compassion for the old line people. FFS, if you are there and in the line you’re halfway to being a technologically challenged geezer yourself. Get your shit delivered and stop picking on old and poor people.

by Anonymousreply 182September 21, 2019 9:55 PM

R182's rant notwithstanding, I give older people a wide berth because I take care of my parents and know what life is like for them. It's also why i run so many of their errands for them, or go with them.

It's the argumentative, combative and downright rude old people who piss me off. They feed off the drama that they create and seem to enjoy making people's lives miserable, especially the minimum wage earners who are serving them.

I stood behind an old woman who spent the entire time in line berating the woman checking her out, then spent another 10 minutes asking for price checks, then argued about the price of three bananas.

When it came time to pay she was counting out change, realizing she didn't have enough change, she opened her wallet and I saw a pile of $50s and a few hundreds. She had to rifle through her wallet until she found a $10 bill.

Old bitch.

by Anonymousreply 183September 21, 2019 10:08 PM

I'm also an impatient person, but I do give the elderly a wide berth as well. They have to pay in cash or -god forbid - they have to write a check. People who are old are a) suspicious of technology and b) they would have trouble using it anyway so they don't pay with smartphones or use a debit card. I totally understand that and I get it. It's the middle-aged fraus who drive me nuts.

by Anonymousreply 184September 21, 2019 10:12 PM

[quote]I’m a very impatient person but I have compassion for the old line people. FFS, if you are there and in the line you’re halfway to being a technologically challenged geezer yourself.

I don't think it's going to be the same with younger Xers and Millennials as we age. We've spent our entire lives learning and adapting to new technology and that's probably going to continue for the rest of our lives. In 40 years when people are paying with the chips in their heads that are thought-controlled, we won't still be using ancient Smartphones.

by Anonymousreply 185September 21, 2019 10:16 PM

r75 STATES HER BOUNDARIES!!!

by Anonymousreply 186September 21, 2019 10:19 PM

Concerning not having a photo ID, I don't know how people survive without one. You have to show them everywhere. I have to show it when cashing a check, traveling, buying tobacco or alcohol, gambling, visiting a doctor, buying cough syrup, setting up utilities, checking in hotels, opening any sort of financial account, etc...

by Anonymousreply 187September 21, 2019 10:39 PM

I'm not sure how all these people get around having a photo ID on a daily basis either.

by Anonymousreply 188September 21, 2019 11:01 PM

In the grocery store today, classic frau in front of me. Self-check out. Small basket, yet she’s totally flustered. Looking around as if someone is supposed to do this for her.

Finally scans her goods, huffs again. Digs into her purse for her checkbook- at the self checkout where its debit & credit card only, clearly posted.

by Anonymousreply 189September 21, 2019 11:08 PM

R185. Ha! Yes! You will be the first generation in the history of mankind not to fall behind as technology advances.

by Anonymousreply 190September 22, 2019 7:03 AM

[quote] However, I'd estimate that about once a week I get overcharged at a restaurant, supermarket, hardware store, etc.

R172, that never happens to me, and it doesn't seem to happen to people in front of me in line. Even when people in front of me think it's happening to them, they are almost always proven wrong.

I don't know where you live or how you transact business, but in my life most purchases are made by credit or debit card in chain stores. How would the Home Depot clerk benefit by giving HD an extra $50 (or whatever two cans of paint would cost)? Besides, it would mess up their inventory, so sooner or later anyone doing this would be caught.

by Anonymousreply 191September 22, 2019 7:13 AM

R182, I like you. I wish I knew you in person. You sound like a kind person.

by Anonymousreply 192September 22, 2019 7:17 AM

Compliments to R182.

Sometimes it's okay to offer help to the elderly, to people who are slow, or those who don't understand the system or the language. Wouldn't we want someone to help us if we needed assistance?

Last week people were yelling on line at a tiny woman at the checkout counter who couldn't speak English. I tried to help translate her Spanish into English. I felt awful that people were so nasty at a chain pharmacy.

by Anonymousreply 193September 23, 2019 12:43 AM

Yes, a lot of unkind people on this thread.

Life is too short to get bent out of shape over this sort of thing. Consider as well that some of you could very well be candidates for serious health issues with your blood pressure skyrocketing over this bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 194September 23, 2019 12:48 PM

I get old people are easily confused - that is what the regular check out is for. I never get why they go to self check out and look at it like it is from the moon. And that little light blinks every time they scan something....If you don't know how to use self check out, don't use it. This goes for all these coupon marys as well. If you have 50 coupons, go to a cashier. If you have 20 kids and they all want a turn at scanning? Go to a fucking cashier. Writing a check? Go to a fucking cashier. Can be bothered to get off your cell phone because whatever you are talking about is more important than scanning? GO TO A FUCKING CASHIER>

by Anonymousreply 195September 23, 2019 1:41 PM

My MIL doesn’t have photo ID. She’s in her 90s, lived in NYC all her life and never learned to drive. She never had a driver’s license. Same thing with her late husband who never drove. He used to carry his WW2 military discharge paper around with him, yelling “It’s Uncle Sam who gave me that. It’s fully legal government ID (it was a typewritten page with no photo on it).”

My husband wanted to help his mother take out a second mortgage but the bank needed two forms of I.D. She’d somehow managed to get a NYC ID card, but that was local. They wanted state or federal ID. For months my husband looked for her birth certificate, couldn’t find it, called all these agencies that handled population statistics to try to find a record of her birth. He finally found the record of her birth and it had a different first name. It was the right birthdate, the right part of Brooklyn, had her parents names on it. But for some reason she spent all of her life called “Lillian” and her birth certificate said “Rose.” She had nothing to prove she was ever called Rose, so she couldn’t get a birth certificate. She couldn’t take out a mortgage on her home.

Let this be a lesson - modernize once every 50 years or so.

by Anonymousreply 196September 23, 2019 8:01 PM

I don’t understand why fucking credit card readers can’t be exactly the same in every store. Some of them want me to look at the price again and push YES or NO. Then they want me to sign. Or they don’t want me to sign, but want me to enter my PIN ......or they want me to enter the security number on the back of the card. Make up your fucking minds. Just let me stick the card in, get the chip read and pull it out, end of story.

by Anonymousreply 197September 23, 2019 8:05 PM

r197 are you using credit or debit? I have never had to do anything other than stick it in.

by Anonymousreply 198September 23, 2019 8:08 PM

Most of the issues described upthread about the horrors of using self-checkout machines are user error.

by Anonymousreply 199September 23, 2019 8:16 PM

People get to a certain age and can’t adapt anymore. When my grandmother was born everyone got around by horse. There was a train but nobody ever took it. It was mostly for transporting goods. There weren’t cars, trucks or airplanes. Before she died, we’d gone to the moon. In between that time she’d learned how to use a sewing machine, a typewriter, manual then electric cash register, drive a car, tune a newfangled thing called a radio, use a telephone, a TV set, a remote control, a phonograph machine, a jukebox, a stereo system. Credit cards, the handwritten receipts and their carbon copied, bank statements you had to keep on file in case a mistake was made. She thought the Beatles were “cute” but hated rock and roll.

One day it all got to be too much for her to keep up with. She didn’t want a VCR. “I’ve already seen everything I want to see.”

I’m starting to feel like she did. There’s too much going on. People are too distracted. No one watches the same tv shows or news networks anymore. Movies are about comic book heroes or they’re cartoons. I don’t want navigation in my car, I don’t want to be tracked by satellites. My privacy is being intruded upon by corporations more than by the government.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200September 23, 2019 8:21 PM

[quote]I don’t want navigation in my car,

GPS is easy AF to use, and has made our lives a lot easier. I would never want to go back to the days of using paper maps.

by Anonymousreply 201September 23, 2019 8:24 PM

Sometimes its the employees.

I had to go full metal Karen on a service department manager when their slack jawed limployee told me they didn’t accept Apple credit cards because they don’t have numbers on them.

Oy. Well, I’ve done PCI-DSS audits (payment card) There were at least five fine-worthy violations and they were pushing suspension. No card readers at their point of sale systems. Manually entering card holder information into their computers. Misinforming customers of acceptance policies regarding payment cards.

It was total incompetence. They got Karened and learned how to accept Apple cards. But how many customers did they turn away since the cards were introduced this summer?

Incompetent.

by Anonymousreply 202September 23, 2019 11:14 PM

r252 oh shit! not a "I will report you to the manager" bish!

by Anonymousreply 203September 23, 2019 11:51 PM

Are you one of those twitchy types with control issues who huffs and puffs when there is someone in front of you? There are alot of us on this planet. more likely than not, someone is ahead of you.

by Anonymousreply 204September 24, 2019 12:24 AM

Usually, not. I just read on my phone and tune out The Stupid.

But the intersection of data breach and The Stupid was much, today.

by Anonymousreply 205September 24, 2019 12:36 AM

R201 - in ‘92 I spent 6 weeks driving myself cross country — changing coasts after grad school. I had a road atlas and a styrofoam cooler and mostly slept in my Jeep. I did make a few navigational mistakes but what the hell, I was in no hurry. Occasionally checked in with people over pay phones. It was such a different world.

by Anonymousreply 206September 24, 2019 7:13 AM

“So I have to go to the actual bank now and then.” Awww, poor baby, R85!

by Anonymousreply 207September 25, 2019 4:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!