Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Massachusetts DLers, holy crap, what is this EEE virus?

It's mosquito-born and sounds terrifying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 29, 2019 12:50 PM

I just moved to Boston two weeks ago.

Great.

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2019 8:34 PM

Oh lord, my partner is irresistible to mosquitoes and I had not heard of this stuff. Thank you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2019 8:38 PM

It's all over the place, not just in MA. Some CT towns are ending all outdoor activities on city property before dusk because of the threat. Four cases have just been confirmed in southwest MI -- two of them have died. Saw a report of a Michigan man that contracted it two years -- he made it through but has brain damage and walks (verrry slowly) with a cane.

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2019 8:42 PM

Are you just hearing about this now? It's been in the news for weeks.

It will kill you. Stay inside.

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2019 9:19 PM

Mosquitoes are such a scourge.

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2019 9:43 PM

Is there any valid reason not to just eliminate mosquitoes? It’s not like bees, who have a specific function. Just eliminate these fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2019 10:39 PM

This would make me not want to go outside in the summer ever.

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2019 3:39 AM

Didn’t someone in upstate NY die of this recently?

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2019 3:41 AM

Captain Trips begins

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2019 3:44 AM

R10 needs a punch to the neck.

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2019 8:06 AM

I hope R10 and his post straight from 1987 gets EEE. Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2019 12:22 PM

[quote]Is there any valid reason not to just eliminate mosquitoes? It’s not like bees, who have a specific function. Just eliminate these fuckers.

Brazil tried and it backfired.

From a NY Post article on the experiment.

The plan involved genetically altering mosquitoes in Brazil so their babies would die instantly. However, the company that hatched the plan, British Biotech firm Oxitec Ltd., then released the mutant mosquitoes with the hope that they’d breed with the wild insects and spread the entomological SIDS gene, causing the population to plummet substantially.

For a time, the plan seemed to be going swimmingly. The genetically-modified mosquitoes bred with their wild counterparts, causing a dip in the wild population. Unfortunately, the numbers came roaring back just 18 months later.

Researchers think that the wild female mosquitoes may have grown wise to the measure and began avoiding the genetically modified males, reported New Atlas.

And if that wasn’t Jurassic Park enough, the wild mosquitoes could have developed a resiliency to the measure, making their population even harder to quash. Now, the region has been left with a huge population of hybrids (combinations of the Brazilian native mosquitoes and the Cuban and Mexican breeds that were genetically altered in the lab) — an outcome that could make the entire population more resistant to the original mosquito control measures.

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2019 2:08 PM

r11

r12

He's right though.

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2019 2:12 PM

A Michigan man went from healthy to brain dead in just nine days after contracting Eastern equine encephalitis:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2019 4:56 PM

R14 you're an idiot. Straights are the ones mostly getting infected these days.

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2019 5:07 PM

Two rare gray wolf pups killed by EEE virus in Battle Creek, MI:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 25, 2019 9:25 PM

Triple E is frequently in the news in New England.

by Anonymousreply 18September 25, 2019 9:52 PM

[quote]r4 It's been in the news for weeks. It will kill you. Stay inside.

I'm in California. Should I stowaway on a boat to Buenos Aires?? Or Scotland, or something??

by Anonymousreply 19September 25, 2019 9:56 PM

I don't get it. EEE and West Nile are things that happen with some regularity in the Northeast. I can understand the media needing to scare people if it was a slow news period, but it's not. They're getting enough clicks and eyeballs already.

by Anonymousreply 20September 25, 2019 10:33 PM

Yeah, I think EEE has been around at least since the 80s.

And mosquitoes are probably important to the food chain. Bats and frogs and all sorts of beasts, including ones we like.

by Anonymousreply 21September 25, 2019 10:38 PM

We’d better cut down all the trees and kill all the birds so 5 or 6 people don’t die.

by Anonymousreply 22September 25, 2019 10:46 PM

Years ago when I first graduated with my public health degree I was watching the news and a reporter sexed up some routine infectious disease during sweeps month in order to scare people. I can’t remember the disease but it was something where they were trying to make people fear other people as a source of a “deadly infection” that “might be coming for you or a loved one” and it was so reminiscent of AIDS propaganda against gays that it just touched me off.

I was so mad I called the tv station and they transferred my call to the reporter. I started shaming him for frightening the public with ginned up disease paranoia and he hung right up on me.

So much for being a public health advocate. Learned my lesson.

by Anonymousreply 23September 25, 2019 10:55 PM

That's the night that the lights went out in Massachusetts

That's the night that they hanged an innocent man

Whoa-oh oh

by Anonymousreply 24November 29, 2019 12:05 PM

This and the "brain eating amoeba" is almost like earth treating humans as "well, it was nice that you came for a visit, but, pray tell, when are you going to leave?" no longer welcomed house guests.

by Anonymousreply 25November 29, 2019 12:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!