Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Stephen Colbert's obsessive fixation with Donald Trump

Before I get crucified, I absolutely fucking abhor Trump, but I can't even watch Colbert's show anymore because it consists of 90% Trump talking points. It's exhausting and just not funny. Even worse, I legitimately feel that the kind of harping that he engages in is only reaffirming the convictions of Trump's supporters—their default logic is that if Trump is under attack by media, he is in the right. How does Stephen not know this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 18, 2019 4:27 PM

[quote]I can't even watch Colbert's show anymore because it consists of 90% Trump talking points.

Like Datalounge, you mean. Pro- or anti-, I do not fucking want to hear about Trump AT ALL. And Muriel is shutting down everything that isn't either politics or ass.

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2019 8:25 PM

Stephen is a genius and probably the funniest man on television. He skewers Trump better than anyone, with truthful, right on point commentary. Sorry you don't approve.

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2019 8:26 PM

Colbert is ugly and there's something creepy about him.

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2019 8:27 PM

He's a practicing Catholic, so he has to overcompensate in order to keep his job. Only reason he didn't get booted years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2019 8:29 PM

How about...oh, I don't know.....not watch him?

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2019 8:33 PM

His ratings increased when he became more political in the Trump era, and Fallon's ratings fell when he refused to go after Trump.

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2019 8:35 PM

I wonder what all these shows will do when Trump is gone. The View; MSNBC; the talk shows; comedy shows... it's 24/7 Trump.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2019 8:51 PM

I wonder what will happen to Datalounge when Trump is gone.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2019 8:53 PM

Jesus, look at DL. All Trump all the time. Even a thread about cooking pasta turns into a rant on Trump. It’s getting real old.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2019 8:55 PM

Colbert has never ever been funny. His Fox News shtick wasn’t funny and he is even worse now. He has always been a smug, arrogant douche.

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2019 8:59 PM

Don't worry, R8 -- Datalounge will endure.

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2019 9:01 PM

Colbert has jumped the shark. He isnt funny anymore.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2019 9:03 PM

Trump Derangement Syndrome. It's real.

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2019 9:06 PM

R13 Kathy Griffin has turned into her Seinfeld character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2019 9:23 PM

Waiting for the Colbert #metoo scandal!

I get what OP is saying, sick of hearing and reading about the orange fuckwit myself.

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2019 9:29 PM

What did Fox News do when Obama was no longer president? They continue to spew lie after lie and they never were funny.

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2019 9:53 PM

Colbert's Trump monologues are hilarious, beautifully written and delivered.

All of the late night TV hosts go after Trump but no one does it as well as Colbert.

After watching his monologue and following comic segment (mostly his very funny "Meanwhile" bit, usually not centered around Trump BTW), I switch to Jimmy Kimmel.

I don't care for Colbert's interviews. He just doesn't have the bite and snark that Kimmel has with guests.

[quote]He has always been a smug, arrogant douche.

You're very wrong about that. His problem with guests is that he's too much of a nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2019 10:13 PM

Colbert was hilarious on Strangers with Candy and his character on The Colbert Report was great. I do not care for his late night talk show. It's too obvious.

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2019 10:17 PM

Troll thread trolls.

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2019 10:18 PM

Uh yeah. It's obviously a late night talk show.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2019 10:19 PM

It's the Russians R19

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2019 10:21 PM

I stopped watching Colbert a while ago because I was just tired of it. I realized that it wasn't that he wasn't funny but I was so sick about hearing about Trump and nothing about Trump any longer seemed funny. But I think I just needed a break. I caught his live show after the debates and I was crying from laughing so hard. Have watched a few times since and there has been some stuff to laugh about.

I think we are just Trump weary......

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2019 10:23 PM

Ditto Ari Melber, Rachel Maddow, Chris Matthews, Chris Cuomo, Don Lemon etc. etc. etc. What will these losers do for material after Trump is gone? They’re all all Trump all the time. Fucking obsessed and it’s way past old.

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2019 10:27 PM

You trolls crying "it's the Russians!" are so boring. OP said he doesn't like Trump. He's just sick of Colbert beating the topic to death. It's lost its lustre at this point.

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2019 10:31 PM

Hating Trump and calling him out is still important. They just need to find a new way to do it. The Daily Show was a new approach twenty years ago. I got sick of John Stewart real fast, but a John Stewart is needed now. We need something subversive that would keep our attention. All outrage all the time is not sustainable over the long term.

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2019 10:38 PM

I am tired of Ari Melber's schticks but like watching him because of that perfectly handsome Jewish face.

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2019 10:40 PM

American democracy is collapsing in front of our eyes. The United States has been taken over by a multinational organized crime syndicate. A mentally ill sexual predator in the early stages of dementia has control of the world's largest nuclear arsenal.

Sorry if that's boring you, doll. Stick to Youtube makeup tutorials.

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2019 10:42 PM

We're ALL tired of it, OP. And what R1 said as well.

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2019 11:02 PM

I'm sorry OP. I thought the looming destruction of our democracy was an important topic.

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2019 11:06 PM

Hes definitely fuckable r26.

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2019 11:06 PM

He's sticking with what works for him. Making fun of conservative politics has been his shtick for like 15 years and Trump is the conservative in chief.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2019 11:12 PM

Trump is signaling the end of America as a superpower, just like the end days of the Roman Empire when circus and bread became very popular, the same is happening today. What a time to be alive to be able to witness this change.

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2019 11:15 PM

Oh great r31 because nobody else in Hollywood was doing that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2019 11:16 PM

I wouldn't call it an obsession, but Colbert is profoundly unfunny on CBS.

The genius of his Comedy Central character is how it deftly poked fun at many ludicrous situations.

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2019 11:17 PM

[quote] I thought the looming destruction of our democracy was an important topic.

Which we hear about on literally every other fucking channel in the entire fucking universe.

I thought evening talk shows were supposed to entertain and relax people. Shrieking about things that horrify us all is not what I would consider "relaxing."

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2019 11:19 PM

It’s the ‘Trump Outrage Of The Day!” every fucking day on CNN and MSNBC. Like there’s nothing else happening in the world besides Trump, Trump and TRUMP.

Assholes.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2019 11:27 PM

I think it's weird that he does the voice.

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2019 11:33 PM

How old are you, OP? Not trying to insult you at all. I wonder if my theory is correct.

Anyway, Trump is SUCH an outrage, on SUCH a large scale that, yes, Colbert (or anyone) is justified to go on and on about him. As an older person, I know how absolutely INSANE and ABSURD what Trump does every minute of the day is. I wonder if younger people, with not as much to compare it to, feel the same way.

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2019 11:40 PM

Have his numbers gone up or down lately?

by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2019 11:41 PM

[quote] I wonder if younger people, with not as much to compare it to, feel the same way.

No we don't, gramps.

by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2019 11:42 PM

I actually avoid national news like the plague but I do enjoy how Colbert sums up the day nicely.

He brings forth all the ridiculousness of the day and makes me laugh at the absurdity of it all.

by Anonymousreply 41September 17, 2019 11:47 PM

Op, he was 3rd in the rankings, behind Kimmel and Fallon, before Trump. Now he is first.

by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2019 12:02 AM

r35, Colbert was always political. His show before it he played a conservative character. He's not going to get an earlier time slot and not go political. If there was no Trump he would go on endlessly about Congress, Clintons and who ever was running in the Republican primary. He just might not be doing so well in the ratings.

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2019 12:05 AM

R35, here's a thought ... watch something else.

by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2019 12:06 AM

R44 Here's a thought.....stop policing other people's opinions.

by Anonymousreply 45September 18, 2019 12:22 AM

How was I "policing" your opinion? Did I tell you to shut the fuck up? No, I didn't. I suggested you stop watching something that you clearly don't enjoy and watch something else. To me that seems incredibly obvious. Unless of course, you're just posting to bitch about somebody who doesn't like Trump.

by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2019 12:30 AM

The show is nominated for 10 Emmys

by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2019 12:35 AM

Who watches the Emmys?

by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2019 12:37 AM

The Emmys jumped the shark when Alec Baldwin won one for his awful trump impression. Granted, it’s a good imitation, it just isn’t funny.

by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2019 12:38 AM

OP = The Fake Democrat Concern Troll, trying to manipulate people into letting right-wing shitstains do whatever they want AGAIN.

Americans need to not only trash Donald Trump and his white trash army of suckers every chance we get, but we need to stage sit-in protests, boycotts and blockade the government from functioning until Trump is impeached along with Kavanaugh, the Electoral College is abolished and Senators carry more votes if they represent bigger states.

by Anonymousreply 50September 18, 2019 12:39 AM

R50 is certainly doing their part in getting Trump re-elected

by Anonymousreply 51September 18, 2019 12:45 AM

The behavior of the Trump administration is far from normal and should be called out as much as possible.

by Anonymousreply 52September 18, 2019 12:47 AM

Lick my shitter, r51. Your reverse psychology and underhanded, stealth right-wing propaganda will never work on me. Your ideas serve only Trump.

Democrats lose elections when they don’t present a clear and progressive alternative to Republican disaster-making. The majority of Americans are sick of Trump and his corrupt shit right now, so we need to prosecute the Republicans like Tip O’Neill would.

And every citizen needs to devote most of his time to trashing Donald Trump, not just Stephen Colbert.

Republicans are the Pro-Crime Party now, i.n addition to neglect and failure.

by Anonymousreply 53September 18, 2019 12:59 AM

R53 It's not reverse psychology, and I'm not right-wing. I've never voted Republican in my life. It has been proven that when you consistently tell people they are wrong, it only serves to reinforce their original belief. Pointing out Trump's fucked up-ness does not change the minds of his sycophant followers, because they voted for him, and plan to again. Harping on how awful he is and making incessant jokes is only calcifying his followers' belief that he can do no wrong.

by Anonymousreply 54September 18, 2019 1:07 AM

I used to love Colbert. But after an entire day of hearing Trump crap there is nothing I want to do less than lay in bed at midnight and listen to Colbert go on and on about him. At some point I need a break from it.

by Anonymousreply 55September 18, 2019 1:09 AM

R50 is Boris plant.

by Anonymousreply 56September 18, 2019 1:41 AM

OP, it is plainly part of Trump's strategy (if you think he can even conceptualise "strategy") that if he keeps doing what he does long enough, detractors will disengage, as you are doing.

I think Colbert believes he is a key part of The Resistance, and what they have to do is keep on showing, day after day, how terrible all Trumps lies, gaffes and incivilities really are, to prevent people from tuning out his egregious behaviour and therefore not being part of the democratic process. Otherwise, you get Hitler or Stalin. You really do. (And if it isn't Trump, God knows there are plenty of monsters in that GOP who could carry the torch once's he's scorched the earth).

You can switch it all off because it's on TV, of course, but you're really not doing your duty by your country if you start going "Yeah, yeah, I know already."

Oh, and R3 and R10 = Trump.

by Anonymousreply 57September 18, 2019 2:12 AM

You can't shit on Trump enough as far as I'm concerned. My last words on this earth are probably going to be "Fuck Trump."

by Anonymousreply 58September 18, 2019 2:15 AM

I think Stephen Colbert idolized Trump before he got into politics like when Trump was the Big Pimp of Wall Street. Now that Trump is an exposed bigot Stephen Colbert can't believe he was stupid enough to idolize someone so ruthless and can't go home at night without masturbating to what he thinks about Trump.

by Anonymousreply 59September 18, 2019 2:18 AM

Trump is an AFRODISIAC for Stephen Colbert.

by Anonymousreply 60September 18, 2019 2:19 AM

[quote]My last words on this earth are probably going to be "Fuck Trump."

Maybe you’ll find some appropriate medication before then.

by Anonymousreply 61September 18, 2019 2:20 AM

I've read a lot of dumb shit but your post is stupid enough that I'll remember it r59.

[Quote]like when Trump was the Big Pimp of Wall Street

...what fictional time was this?

by Anonymousreply 62September 18, 2019 2:22 AM

[quote]I absolutely fucking abhor Trump

You always know someone is about to pop off with some serious bullshit when they start off with this nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 63September 18, 2019 2:23 AM

R61, no thanks. I prefer keeping my feet firmly planted in reality.

Also, Fuck Trump!

by Anonymousreply 64September 18, 2019 2:28 AM

Dems are so nasty with the constant cussing r53.

by Anonymousreply 65September 18, 2019 2:30 AM

R65, and the mrs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 18, 2019 2:34 AM

HE is the BIG PIMP of WALL STREET and PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE RIGHT NOW. YOULL NEVER BE ON HIS LEVEL SO WHAT DOES IT MATTER. AND YOU MIGHT THINK IT WAS A DUMB STUPID POST BUT ITS NOT AS DUMB AND STUPID AS YOU VOTING FOR TRUMP TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN. HOW FAR DID THAT GET YOU?

by Anonymousreply 67September 18, 2019 2:35 AM

R67 = Trump too.

by Anonymousreply 68September 18, 2019 3:20 AM

If these halfwit cunts think Stephen Colbert is a problem, oh my they have some big surprises coming.

You know the Orange Dumbass can't get out of the New York state charges, right? He doesn't have that fat fuck at the DoJ covering his fat ass in New York and they're going to get him no matter what.

Running for office was the dumbest thing he's ever done.

by Anonymousreply 69September 18, 2019 4:02 AM

OP Totally agree, so tiresome. But he is a self loathing catholic

by Anonymousreply 70September 18, 2019 4:09 AM

Colbert self loathing? Multi millionaire, top rated late night talk show. I bet he's pretty content with himself.

by Anonymousreply 71September 18, 2019 12:33 PM

Colbert is sidesplittingly funny. He doesn't always just go after Trump, but Trump provides him so much material. Hypocritical, arrogant buffoons are already easy targets, and when they're in power, it's even more fun.

by Anonymousreply 72September 18, 2019 4:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!