Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Singers who can act vs. singers who can't

Can act: Diana Ross, Jennifer Hudson

Can't act: Madonna, Beyonce

Who else?

by Anonymousreply 75September 19, 2019 3:29 AM

J. Hud can't act very well, OP. J. Lo isn't the best either.

Judy, Liza, Barbra... THEY could act.

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2019 7:29 PM

Mariah canNOT act!

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2019 7:29 PM

Judging by reviews and this weekend's box office receipts, JLo goes in the "can act" category. Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2019 7:29 PM

The only JLo movie I've seen is "Out of Sight." She was fine. I remember Nancy Allen from it more, for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2019 7:34 PM

Singers who can act: Olly Alexander.

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2019 7:35 PM

Bjork was pretty well received in that Von Trier movie, wasn't she?

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2019 7:35 PM

I've only seen Debbie Harry act in HEAVY, and I quite liked her performance.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2019 7:36 PM

I wish Diana Ross would act more. She was really great in Lady Sings the Blues.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2019 7:36 PM

Betty Lynn can act.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2019 7:36 PM

Fantasia got raves in THE COLOR PURPLE. Were her book scenes solid? (When she showed up...)

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2019 7:37 PM

Did Irene Cara get an Oscar nomination?

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2019 7:38 PM

R3 Not surprising. Lopez was good in that recent (three season) TV series, "Shades of Blue," w/ Ray Liotta.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2019 7:40 PM

Cannot act: Mariah, Madonna (even she was excellent in aw it’s), Britney Spears, Beyoncé,

Can act: Cher, Barbra, Jlo, Xtina, Mandy Moore, LL Cool J, Will Smith, Jen Hudson

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2019 7:43 PM

Correction to R 13: should be “in Evita”

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2019 7:44 PM

Yet another “Let’s Shit on Lady Gaga” thread.

OP, have you gotten bored with creating more “Let’s Shit on Chrissy Metz” threads and “Let’s Shit on Sarah Jessica Parker” threads? Or are more of those on the way?

Get a life.

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2019 7:46 PM

Can Jennifer Hudson act? She sang big in HAIRSPRAY LIVE but with dialogue... she had no impact for me. In contrast, I liked Ruth Brown in the original, non musical version. Brown was a singer, for those that don't know. Atlantic Records was dubbed "The House That Ruth Built."

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2019 7:46 PM

Are you lost, Cunt R15? Take your meds.

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2019 7:53 PM

What about Whitney Houston? Is she in the can or can't act category.

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2019 7:54 PM

Singers who can act: Judy Garland, Doris Day, Bing Crosby, Peggy Lee, Dorothy Dandridge, Liza Minnelli, Kris Kristofferson

Singers who cannot act: Jeanette MacDonald, Jane Powell, Rise Stevens, Most 60s pop stars

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2019 7:57 PM

Can't act: Jennifer Holliday, Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Whitney Houston

Could/can: Doris Day, Vanessa Williams, Queen Latifah

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2019 7:58 PM

R18 Whitney was decent. Not great but not the worst either.

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2019 8:01 PM

Courtney Love got an Oscar nomination, but she hasn't acted since.

Bette Midler is wonderful in comedies, but cannot do drama.

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2019 8:01 PM

Can:

Vanessa Williams, Mos Def, Jill Scott, Cher, Kris Kristofferson, Courtney Love, 2Pac, Erykah Badu, Frank Sinatra, Julie London, Tom Waits, Alicia Keys, Method Man, David Bowie, Lenny Kravitz, Bobby Darin, Ice Cube, Janelle Monae, LL Cool J, Iggy Pop, Debbie Harry, Miguel Bosé, Macy Gray, Simon and Garfunkel, P. Diddy, Mandy Moore (she's okay), Ludacris, Bing Crosby, Selena Gomez (she's okay), Lauryn Hill, Ann Margaret, Harry Belafonte, Whitney Houston, Bjork, Diana Ross, Queen Latifah,

Cannot:

Mary J. Blige, Olivia Newton John, Ice-T, Harry Connick Jr, Sting, Madonna, Mark Wahlberg, Jamie Foxx, Beyoncé, Common, Justin Timberlake, Andre 3000, Janet Jackson, Jennifer Hudson, 50 Cent, Christina Aguilera, Alanis Morrisette, Childish Gambino, Will Smith,

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2019 8:03 PM

R22 Courtney only did well in that film because she was just playing another version of herself, a drugged-up junkie whore.

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2019 8:04 PM

I was going to mention Courtney Love, R22--I think she got a Golden Globe nom, not an Oscar, but still. Debbie Harry is another great actress. Madonna and Lady Gaga are both garbage actresses, and the fact that Gaga won a Golden Globe for American Horror Story legitimately made me lose faith in the arts as a whole.

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2019 8:05 PM

J.Hud is a terrible actress. She only won the Oscar because of a song.

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2019 8:07 PM

Can act: Mos' Def, Jamie Foxx, Wayne Brady

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2019 8:08 PM

Courtney Love was also really good in 200 Cigarettes, the lesbian drama Julie Johnson, and as Joan Burrows in the film Beat (opposite Kiefer Sutherland). Also liked her on Sons of Anarchy as a kindergarten teacher (lol). She has pretty great screen presence and can transform into a character, not just ones that share similar characteristics like the one in Larry Flynt. And even if Althea does echo her own life, it doesn't make it any less moving or realistic a performance.

I liked Mariah Carey in Precious but she is so godawful in everything else.

Grace Jones has great screen presence and is fun in the right role, but it's more her 'look' that pops on screen rather than any acting ability.

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2019 8:08 PM

Petula Clark?

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2019 8:09 PM

Courtney has proven herself in other movies though R24. She was great in The People vs. Larry Flynt as Flynt's addict stripper wife, but she was just as good in 200 Cigarettes and in the Andy Kaufman biopic with Jim Carrey (neither of those roles were junkie parts). She was also really solid in Julie Johnson, the lesbian movie with Lili Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2019 8:09 PM

Agreed that Courney Love can act. I didn't check out the Menendez biopic but if she stunk, I would have expected a DL thread or two about it.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2019 8:11 PM

OK maybe I stand corrected, I think my personal dislike for Courtney probably clouds my opinion of her abilities.

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2019 8:13 PM

Mariah can act. She was great in Wise girls and Tennessee.

She sucked in Precious and Glitter was horribly written and directed.

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2019 8:16 PM

Yes, there was a movie called Out of Darkness, starring Diana Ross; she got rave reviews. I wish she’d act more too.

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2019 8:29 PM

Courtney was trying desperately to be an actress before she was trying to be a musician, hence the minor part she had in Sid & Nancy (she had wanted the Nancy role, of COURSE). When the acting wasn't panning out, she switched trades and found her footing in the punk/grunge world. The reality is that Courtney simply wanted to be famous, but she was/is? a good actress. A better actress than a singer, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2019 8:40 PM

When you read some of those shitty Ryan O'Neal comments about the original pre-Costner/Whitney "Bodyguard," it's no wonder Diana Ross has acted in so few projects. It's hard out there for a black actress, even if she's a singing superstar.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2019 8:40 PM

Aretha was really good in her little cameo for The Blues Brothers. She might have had an acting career if she were prettier like Diana and Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2019 8:44 PM

Was Della Reese considered a good actor? I guess she was the Morgan Freeman of that "Touched by a Curate" show.

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2019 8:50 PM

Was Lorna Luft considered a good actress in Grease 2?

by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2019 8:56 PM

Can act: Edith Piaf and Monica Vitti.

Dalida wanted to be an actress all her life but was unlucky and only found success with music. I don't think she particularly enjoyed singing, it's just that she wasn't that good of an actress and not really beautiful or sexy to be cast in a Fellini, Michelangelo or Jacques Demy film. Unlike Mina Mazzini who was hounded by Fellini and got many offers to be in films but turned all of them down.

by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2019 8:58 PM

Rihanna is the worst. She was abysmal in Oceans 13 and Battleship. She makes Britney Spears look like Meryl Streep.

Her persona is so chill that you'd think she would be a decent actress, but no.

by Anonymousreply 41September 17, 2019 9:02 PM

Mariah Carey can NOT act at all.

Taylor Swift can NOT act at all.

by Anonymousreply 42September 17, 2019 9:05 PM

[Quote] Unlike Mina Mazzini who was hounded by Fellini and got many offers to be in films but turned all of them down.

That sounds like a claim a publicist cooked up.

by Anonymousreply 43September 17, 2019 9:06 PM

[R43] I was trying to be nice. In fact Fellini kept talking about Mina's breasts and how every Italian boy jerks off to her. He said that that's why she should accept his offers. He said this in public interviews to try to force her into it. But she denied the offers because she saw herself as a singer first and didn't want to be objectified.

by Anonymousreply 44September 17, 2019 9:14 PM

Cher can act. She was the only decent part of Burlesque and Mamma Mia 2. She was great in Mermaids. I’ve never seen moonstruck but my mom loves it.

by Anonymousreply 45September 17, 2019 9:21 PM

[quote]Bette Midler is wonderful in comedies, but cannot do drama.

Two time Oscar nominee for drama.

[quote]Mary J. Blige

Academy award nominated actress

[quote]Olivia Newton John,

GREASE begs to differ

[quote]Madonna

Was nominated for and won major awards for EVITA

[quote]Jamie Foxx,

Won an oscar

by Anonymousreply 46September 17, 2019 9:29 PM

You're really trying it with those ONJ and Madonna defences. Lady Gaga and Pia Zadora have Golden Globe awards...

by Anonymousreply 47September 17, 2019 9:31 PM

I can certainly act! I parade around the stage triumphantly in elegant costumes! What more do you want?

by Anonymousreply 48September 17, 2019 9:44 PM

Acting is not guaranteed by awards or nominations.

For fuck's sake, John Wayne won an Oscar, and he couldn't act his way out of a paper bag if there were a pair of hot pants, a murse, and a sexy pair of espadrilles on the other side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 17, 2019 9:47 PM

Shawn Mendes can not act like a straight boy to save his life.

by Anonymousreply 50September 17, 2019 9:55 PM

Did Mama Cass ever try acting?

by Anonymousreply 51September 18, 2019 2:41 AM

Can/could: Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Doris Day, Cher, Beverly D'Angelo, Levon Helm

Cannot: Madonna (she can [italic]barely[/italic] sing) or Beyoncé

I've enjoyed Grace Jones and Ice-T in certain roles, but I don't claim it's acting.

by Anonymousreply 52September 18, 2019 2:55 AM

lquote]Did Mama Cass ever try acting?

Some sketches on "The Carol Burnett Show," but those didn't exactly require acting, aside from pretending that you were trying really hard not to break character.

by Anonymousreply 53September 18, 2019 3:23 AM

From country music, Dolly, especially in comedies, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Dwight Yoakam, and Tim McGraw. Reba is a competent comedian and her few dramatic tv movies weren't horrible.

One that can't: Faith Hill.

by Anonymousreply 54September 18, 2019 3:46 AM

Claudine Longet couldn’t sing or act.

by Anonymousreply 55September 18, 2019 3:49 AM

She could both sing and act

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 18, 2019 11:19 AM

[Quote] Claudine Longet couldn’t sing or act.

She was on target in other ways.

by Anonymousreply 57September 18, 2019 11:26 AM

[quote]Claudine Longet couldn’t sing or act.

Did Claudine ever sing "You Can't Get a Man With a Gun"?

by Anonymousreply 58September 18, 2019 2:41 PM

R18 Whitney was decent. There was definite improvement from The Bodyguard(her first substantial acting gig) to Waiting to Exhale to The Preacher’s Wife which was a good sign. Under different circumstances, she might have become a good actress. I think she would have been good in a comedies.

From what I’ve seen, Madonna and Beyoncé are atrocious. I haven’t watched Evita so I might be wrong about Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 59September 18, 2019 2:48 PM

Madonna is always playing herself in everything she’s in.

by Anonymousreply 60September 18, 2019 3:02 PM

^^And she can't even do that convincingly.

by Anonymousreply 61September 18, 2019 3:23 PM

Madonna was effective in "Desperately Seeking Susan" and "A League of Their Own". She could play bratty upstarts fine.

by Anonymousreply 62September 18, 2019 3:23 PM

Wasn't Burt Ives nominated for an Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 63September 18, 2019 10:53 PM

No, that was Burt Ward.

by Anonymousreply 64September 18, 2019 10:59 PM

Burl Ives won an Oscar for The Big Country. Frank Sinatra won an Oscar too, but I could never stand him in movies.

by Anonymousreply 65September 18, 2019 10:59 PM

I assume you mean Burl Ives, R63. He created the role of Big Daddy in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" and repeated the role in the movie version. He won a supporting actor Oscar for "The Big Country." He wasn't merely a singer who dabbled in acting.

by Anonymousreply 66September 18, 2019 11:01 PM

Burl Ives OWNS the Big Daddy role.

by Anonymousreply 67September 18, 2019 11:38 PM

More recently Johnny Flynn.

by Anonymousreply 68September 18, 2019 11:58 PM

When Johnny Cash was the guest murderer on "Columbo" , I was prepared for the worst. But he was actually pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 69September 19, 2019 12:07 AM

You are clever, R57 and R58!

by Anonymousreply 70September 19, 2019 12:22 AM

R69 He was actually pretty good in most of his acting appearances. Check out his acting debut in a little noir picture called “Five Minutes to Live, “ also known as “Door-to-Door Maniac.” His wife June Carter, wasn’t a bad actress either, she studied acting with Lee Strasberg.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 19, 2019 2:33 AM

Was Julie London considered a good actress?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 19, 2019 2:53 AM

JLo owns this thread she cannot do either...

by Anonymousreply 73September 19, 2019 3:11 AM

Diahann Carroll

Leslie Uggams

by Anonymousreply 74September 19, 2019 3:26 AM

R74 Meaning they are singers who can also act.

by Anonymousreply 75September 19, 2019 3:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!