Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Blast & fire hits major virus lab in Russia, where HIV, Ebola & anthrax strains are stored

One of the world’s largest virus research centers, located in Siberia, was reportedly engulfed in flames after a sudden explosion rocked the secretive compound, known for its stores of Ebola, HIV, anthrax and other strains.

Firefighters and rescue services were scrambled on Monday to respond to a fire that broke out in Koltsovo, a scientific hub several kilometers from Novosibirsk. The situation was quickly upgraded from an ordinary emergency to a major incident as the explosion and fire affected Russia’s research center of virology and biotechnology, often referred to as the Vector Institute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 22, 2019 4:23 AM

Finished with your election meddling yet, Vlad?

No?

More mysterious explosions to come.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2019 10:11 PM

END OF DAYS

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2019 10:16 PM

When does a country consumed with organized crime, incompetent government, cultural collapse, and shockingly ugly men, become a world threat that needs to be dealt with?

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2019 10:24 PM

Wonder if the fire might have been the self destruct/sterilization system, assuming Russia would spend money on such a thing.

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2019 10:27 PM

[quote] When does a country consumed with organized crime, incompetent government, cultural collapse, and shockingly ugly men, become a world threat that needs to be dealt with?

I think we’re dealing with it quite well.

Probably hit Russian secret submersible with some kind of weapon to cause fire killing 14 sailors.

Blew up ammunition storage facility twice in one week

Blew up floating nuclear reactor/missile

Blew up bioweapons lab.

I doubt military intelligence runs anything past Trump

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2019 10:41 PM

You people never learn ............

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2019 10:43 PM

Oh r6, you stubborn, splendid, adorable fool!”

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2019 10:47 PM

Fabulous. Siberia was already dealing with the first anthrax outbreak since WWII. Back then the animals that died weren't buried very deep because it's hard to dig deep in permafrost. And now the permafrost is melting.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2019 3:29 AM

If only there were something like fire, that steralizes things

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2019 3:48 AM

Reports conveniently failed to mention that the fire occurred at the Dyatlov Pass Memorial Lab.

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2019 3:52 AM

They should release ebola and anthrax at the Russian troll farms! That would be quite entertaining!

by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2019 7:48 AM

Stupid Russians.

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2019 2:26 PM

And you can bet your ass someone stole some samples.

by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2019 2:29 PM

That shithole country, again !

by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2019 2:46 PM

I hope its our CIA giving them some warning of things to come if they don't stop fucking with us.

by Anonymousreply 15September 19, 2019 2:48 PM

YIKES.

Whether it was an accident or purposeful strike, a virus research lab is hardly a place we should be cheering if the containment protocols have been breached. Who knows whether they weren't experimenting with airborne ebola or other weaponized mutations or gene-doctored viruses. In chaos of a fire, who knows what could be stolen by whom.

It would be utter madness to risk a global pandemic on experimental viruses whose treatments, let alone cures, don't exist.

You people are CRAZY to think it's a good idea and applaud, no matter what the cause.

by Anonymousreply 16September 19, 2019 2:56 PM

The Russians are incompetent. Nuclear accidents, fires hitting their virus labs. WTF is wrong with them?

by Anonymousreply 17September 19, 2019 2:58 PM

It must be pretty bad if RT reported it. It's a Russian propaganda arm, so they must feel like they have to at least admit this happened.

by Anonymousreply 18September 19, 2019 3:21 PM

[quote]And you can bet your ass someone stole some samples.

You can get those things in the wild. People still get HIV, Ebola and Anthrax in the "wild."

by Anonymousreply 19September 19, 2019 4:02 PM

[quote]You can get those things in the wild. People still get HIV, Ebola and Anthrax in the "wild."

Yes, but it's a research lab, not just a storehouse.

The samples that might exist could be gene-doctored, genetically manipulated samples of those viruses. Can you imagine the devastation that a weaponized, airborne ebola virus would cause?

by Anonymousreply 20September 19, 2019 4:11 PM

So many bad, mysterious things happening to Russia lately. This is terrible!

by Anonymousreply 21September 19, 2019 6:13 PM

R19 and r20...those aren't the only diseases they store. For example that was one of two labs to have the only known stores of smallpox.

by Anonymousreply 22September 19, 2019 7:33 PM

Here go hell come.

by Anonymousreply 23September 19, 2019 7:40 PM

I give it less than a year before some new unidentifiable ailment is killing people. Outbreak 2.0

by Anonymousreply 24September 19, 2019 7:45 PM

[quote] Who knows whether they weren't experimenting with airborne ebola

Because airborne Ebola would kill them. An airborne virus can’t be contained once it’s set loose. You can’t control it. See “1918 Influenza Pandemic.”

by Anonymousreply 25September 19, 2019 7:47 PM

Um, r25, you do realize that they work in sealed suits when dealing with these viruses, right?. It's not like they go around sniffing test tubes.

by Anonymousreply 26September 19, 2019 7:50 PM

R26, you made Coca Cola shoot out of my nose!

by Anonymousreply 27September 19, 2019 7:57 PM

I feel your pain, r27. I did that last week with Jim Beam.

by Anonymousreply 28September 19, 2019 7:59 PM

[quote] Um, [R25], you do realize that they work in sealed suits when dealing with these viruses, right?. It's not like they go around sniffing test tubes.

Um, you do know that once an airborne virus is released, it doesn’t just kill your enemy, right? It kills you, too. It kills your family & civilians as well as your enemy’s family & civilians.

That’s why there’s no point in developing airborne Ebola as a weapon because it will kill you just as dead as it will kill the other side.

It’s like when they used gas in WWI ....the dumbasses didn’t think about what was going to happen when the wind changed direction.

Airborne illnesses aren’t contained to one city, country or to one ethnic group. They go wherever they want and will kill everyone unless there’s a foolproof vaccine. The only way to develop a vaccine is by testing. When you test a vaccine for a deadly disease, you need test groups of people. Even if the testers are prisoners in isolation, a deadly airborne virus can get loose. The best laid plans...

Facilities have ebola for research purposes looking for a cure for the disease as it currently presents itself. If they’re trying to develop airborne ebola as a weapon, they’d better have hazmat suits for their entire population to wear for a few years until the disease burns itself out because it’s going to infect their citizens & families as well.

by Anonymousreply 29September 19, 2019 8:49 PM

[quote] you do realize that they work in sealed suits when dealing with these viruses, right?

but do we know if the fire fighters sealed up before they went in to fight the fire?

by Anonymousreply 30September 19, 2019 8:53 PM

More dead Russians. Good news!

by Anonymousreply 31September 19, 2019 9:01 PM

Thoughts and prayers, commies.

by Anonymousreply 32September 19, 2019 9:10 PM

Here comes the new HBO Docudrama in 2020!

by Anonymousreply 33September 19, 2019 9:27 PM

Is my smallpox vax from the 70's still good?

Anybody?

Yeah, I'm fucking old.

by Anonymousreply 34September 19, 2019 10:45 PM

The have got to stop drinking!

by Anonymousreply 35September 19, 2019 10:47 PM

It gives me great pleasure to see Russia's imminent destruction.

CIA should release krokodil on the streets of Moscow again.

by Anonymousreply 36September 19, 2019 11:08 PM

Who gives a heck. Judging by the world map, Novosibirsk is somewhere between Mongolia and Kazakhstan. It's literally on the Asian continent, on the other (far) side of the mountain range which separates the 2 continents. So let the Asians deal with this. If anything, this will be China's problem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 19, 2019 11:09 PM

Russia is a pathetic hellhole with one of the worst HIV rates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 19, 2019 11:16 PM

" If anything, this will be China's problem."

Yes, and thank God no one ever travels to China. It's hermetically sealed from the West.

by Anonymousreply 39September 19, 2019 11:28 PM

Awww, r29, sweetie, it's adorable that you think the people who would develop these things actually care and will be around when it's released.

Also, r29, I worked for a company developing antivirals for BARDA for project Bioshield. I suggest you quit while you're behind. You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 40September 20, 2019 1:13 AM

R34, no it's not.

by Anonymousreply 41September 20, 2019 1:14 AM

Well, fuck, r41!

Where can I get a new one?

by Anonymousreply 42September 21, 2019 6:52 PM

You can’t, R42. Unless you join the military and are sent to war where it might be released. I think the solders sent into Iraq were given smallpox shots.

It would be a shame if that ever gets out again. We eliminated it, and no longer vaccinate for it, so we’re wide open to be decimated if it ever returns.

We are close to likewise eliminating Polio, too.

[quote] WHO: Polio cases have decreased by over 99% since 1988, from an estimated more than 350 000 cases to 22 reported cases in 2017. This reduction is the result of the global effort to eradicate the disease. Today, only 3 countries in the world have never stopped transmission of polio (Pakistan, Afghanistan and Nigeria).

by Anonymousreply 43September 21, 2019 7:36 PM

Who is in desperate need of biological weapons right now? Iran, that's who.

by Anonymousreply 44September 21, 2019 8:24 PM

I recently read that when the Spanish first contacted the Aztecs, they found that smallpox had already spread to their capital city. It was that contagious that it proceeded ahead of the Conquistadors.

by Anonymousreply 45September 22, 2019 1:49 AM

Well, fuck, r43.

I'm too old for the military.

by Anonymousreply 46September 22, 2019 4:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!