Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's easier for Pete to beat Trump than to win the Democratic Party nomination.

Conversely, it is easier for Biden to win the nomination than to beat Trump.

Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 24September 24, 2019 4:03 PM

I think you are right. Pete would slice and dice the Orange Idiot and I would love to see it. A couple other candidates could decimate Donnie 2 Scoops as well. I'm not sure about Joe, unfortunately. I think a debate between Biden and Trump would be disastrous.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2019 5:15 PM

I want to see Pete elected Senator from Indiana in the next cycle. I believe he will be POTUS one day, but since I don't think he can win nomination this time, I want him to hold a statewide office that gives him a national platform and continuing exposure.

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2019 5:59 PM

As we see from the Trump election, people don't really care how a candidate speaks or how much they know about policy.

If Pete were the candidate, he would lose. He's smart as hell, but that means little.

Biden will likely win because he's likable. No one really cares about policy ideas.

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2019 6:02 PM

Interesting dynamic OP. I think you might be right.

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2019 6:02 PM
by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2019 10:24 PM

R3 likeable? For what? Mangling the English language,maling gaffes left and right and fondling and molesting women? What a dope Biden is. We need an intelligent veteran like Mayor Pete who will make mincemeat out of Trump.

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2019 10:31 PM

“Ain’t voting for no Fags or Niggers! I’ll turn this country over to Nazis before I’ll let a fudgepacker or a porch monkey run it!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2019 10:37 PM

I completely agree with op and that’s why I support and hunger for a Biden-Buttigieg ticket.

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2019 10:48 PM

Girls, girls, don't fight - you're both bereft of ideas!

Unlike Elizabeth Warren.

by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2019 12:12 AM

Pete is just a male HIllary, we see how well that worked last time.

Trump would win in a landslide against Pete.

Stop deluding yourselves homos.

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2019 12:18 AM

I think OP's wrong on both counts.

by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2019 12:37 AM

The problem is American don’t like smart. They want “simple” people who don’t seem smarter than them. Intelligence is a negative in US politics.

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2019 12:49 AM

r12, but if the candidate has enough charisma, voters are willing to overlook it at times.

by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2019 12:59 AM

He has no statewide future in Indiana. His best bet if not vice president, would be something like Secretary of State in the next Administration.

by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2019 1:04 AM

But that wasn't always the case, R12. Roosevelt and the people surrounding him were extremely smart (I meant FDR but Teddy was no slouch) and Kennedy and his team were seriously smart. It's like when Kennedy was shot in the head, it was a metaphor for US politics altogether. Even Clinton, who was clever, got there only because he was charismatic.

How did this happen?

by Anonymousreply 15September 19, 2019 2:51 AM

Americans don't mind smart as long as your not a show off. They loved Bill Clinton because he was folksy, and he loved the ladies. But he was also smart and he could exlain things in a style where the average guy could understand it.

by Anonymousreply 16September 19, 2019 2:56 AM

[Quote] But that wasn't always the case, [R12]. Roosevelt and the people surrounding him were extremely smart (I meant FDR but Teddy was no slouch) and Kennedy and his team were seriously smart. It's like when Kennedy was shot in the head, it was a metaphor for US politics altogether. Even Clinton, who was clever, got there only because he was charismatic. How did this happen?

The shine word off after WW2 and America became the bad guy. (And has been since and gone rogue.)

Domestically, it failed to acknowledge that it was white racists who killed JFK.

Internationally, Vietnam.

by Anonymousreply 17September 19, 2019 3:30 AM

For the Twitter crowd, being a white male seems to be what's holding Pete back. To hear them talk, white gay men aren't a minority. Or maybe it's because in their eyes, Pete isn't gay enough. His reception, by young democrats and the Twitter crowd, has been disappointing to me. It's a woman's turn and they are going to screech and scream until we force an unelectable woman to the top of the ticket.

I will enthusiastically vote for Elizabeth Warren, if she's the nominee, none of the voters we need in the states we need will, but we will have that woman at the top of the ticket. Goody for us all.

by Anonymousreply 18September 19, 2019 3:43 AM

people were more educated back then. When FDR was POTUS and even JFK. My grandfather only went to high school. But he got a Liberal Arts education and he knew a lot of stuff about history and literature and Greek mythology. This was back in the early 30's. And with JFK, even my mother had a Liberal Arts education. It was required for them to take government and American History and Civics. They had a basic understanding of shit and there was no penalty for being smart. It was admired. And people were raised to speak "proper" English. Today even the teachers are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 19September 19, 2019 4:09 AM

All true, R19. The death of the liberal arts education, the goal of which was to teach people to think analytically, and its replacement by business schools, the goal of which was apparently Enron, was what did it. Social media, where morons can parade their wares with pride, came in a little later and sealed the deal. Once thinking becomes a bad thing (and make no mistake, in the business schools it IS a bad thing), then being smart becomes suspicious and punishable.

All of which is really useful for the big end of town, which is able to completely escape proper scrutiny. So you end up with the Global Financial Crisis and climate change, and those in power throwing up their hands and saying, "What can you do?" as if it's a rhetorical question. And Trump.

I feel really sorry for the school kids who are trying valiantly to protest climate change and/or gun control, but who have no historical, philosophical or political context: not even a historical knowledge of hot tips for running protest marches. They don't even know enough to know what to Google. They'll get there in the end, but they're having to re-learn so much that living people should have already imparted to them.

by Anonymousreply 20September 24, 2019 3:31 PM

Biden is so unlikable he would lose against Trump.

by Anonymousreply 21September 24, 2019 3:40 PM

Republicans got where they are by everyone toeing the party line, then they get out and vote.

Democrats refuse to do that (I'm looking at you, bitch Susan Sarandon and all of your ideologically pure cohorts) and so they keep snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. When they feel their needs are being met, they get all but hurt and decide to stay home on election day.

Trump will win in 2020 because of this sorry state of Democratic Party affairs.

by Anonymousreply 22September 24, 2019 3:43 PM

Absolutely agreed 100%. This is why Pete tried to tack left but has had a softening of his support (his white middle-class fans in Iowa and NH) as a result. Total conjecture on my part, but he started nosediving once he started begging the "black community" to like him - to really PLEASE for the love of god! - like him!

No one criticizes Liz W. for her lily white rallies, but here we are.

I was on the Biden train - as I think most mod. dems are - due to name recognition and a steady hand to re-right the USS America. But good god is it punishing to watch him and a little sad. I do think he'd lose against Trump.

by Anonymousreply 23September 24, 2019 3:45 PM

Peter is the new Michael Dukakis.

I hope Chastain doesn't swallow rubbing alcohol or something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 24, 2019 4:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!