Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

J-Lo's stripper movie

Oscar-worthy, my ass. No acting at all on her part - she's been little more than a stripper for years.

Cardi B.? Stunt casting using another woman of the pole.

And what is a "Lizzo" and why does it have a career?

by Anonymousreply 52September 18, 2019 2:32 PM

[quote]And what is a "Lizzo" and why does it have a career?

How to sound like an out-of-touch eldergay 101.

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2019 1:02 PM

J Lo can be very entertaining at times. But you certainly don’t give it awards.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2019 1:04 PM

If not knowing what a Lizzo is makes me out of touch, I’m glad to be it.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2019 1:04 PM

The only thing that makes me curious about this movie is Betty Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2019 1:20 PM

R4 I'm guessing she doesn't make a huge impression.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2019 1:25 PM

Lizzo is an accomplished entertainer who's currently riding a high wave of popularity, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2019 1:36 PM

I'll see it but may wait for the dvd. What I don't get is why she's playing a stripper at age 50. She looks great, but what man goes to strip clubs to see women who could be grandmas?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2019 2:46 PM

R7 I asked that when someone told me about the movie at work, and everyone jumped all over me because, evidently, to suggest that there are no 50 year-old strippers is both sexist and ageist. She looks amazing, they said. Yes, I said, she does. Because she is SO fucking rich and has spent her whole life maintaining her appearance in a way that no 50 year-old stripper could.

I guess it’s not that far off from McConaughey being a stripper in Magic Mike, but it sure seems silly to me.

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2019 2:50 PM

There’s only one stripper movie, and you know what that is.

I’m sick of Lizzo, everyone is up her butt right now. If these adoring white people had to deal with her in real life, they would judge and dislike her.

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2019 2:51 PM

[Quote]I’m sick of Lizzo, everyone is up her butt right now. If these adoring white people had to deal with her in real life, they would judge and dislike her.

R9, how is she in real life, since you seem to know?

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2019 3:49 PM

[R10] Did I ruin your Lizzo/BFF fantasy? I’m so sorry, I hope you’re ok.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2019 4:19 PM

Initially I wasn’t interested, but as it’s been selling out and reading the reviews I finally did go see it last night. Surprisingly, I liked it. I will say that for me what saves it is it’s based on a true story, and I’ve linked it.

JLo looks better than many women half her age. I hear she doesn’t drink, smoke (though her character does in the movie), and is vegan or close. Not that money doesn’t help, as well.

Oscar? No. However it was one of her better performances. While the bar there wasn’t high, nor the role of a streetsmart hustler from NYC a huge reach.....she did a good job and I liked it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2019 4:26 PM

I love Lizzo. Whenever I wanna cheer myself up, I click on one of songs or album It’s not Mahler, but it’s fun music and completely mindless, so it works.

I wouldn’t necessarily want my best work to culminate at 50, playing a stripper. And YES, she’s in fantastic shape, but let’s look at this role from a realistic perspective: as of now, most women who dance for a living are economically disadvantaged. They’re usually 18-25, and almost all have addiction/alcoholism issues. They’re overwhelmingly high school dropouts at best, likely single moms or in shitty relationships with men who always show up but rarely stick around, unless the guy is also her pimp. Depending on what part of the world, (including the United States) and what clubs these girls work at, they’re victims of human trafficking and are full on sex workers, against their will. Even if these women were 50, or if J-Lo was a 23 year old, the majority of them don’t look like J-Lo. They’re not working out with that blowhard fiancé of hers for an hour or more a day every morning, in some state of the art gym. They’re not getting recovery treatments from licensed sports therapist/physicians, nor are they eating scheduled meals that are planned and prepared by chefs. Yes, you can find some girls in NY, Atlanta, Texas, Vegas & LA that make great money & aren’t hooked on smack or meth, but those girls are exceedingly rare. Most of these girls half a shelf life of two years max, & they either burn out & leave, or go into full time prostitution.

Why Jennifer took this role is beyond me. It’s not that women in their 40s & 50s cannot look hot as fuck and not be sexual. They do, and they are. The vagina doesn’t dry up and wither away just because you begin to age, especially if one has access to anti-aging clinics & hormones, which obviously, she does. She has nothing to prove and it isn’t about being ageist. It’s that it is a HIGHLY unlikely scenario that a mature women is gonna clamp her thighs around a pole every night in order to hustle, even if she’s managed to retain her good looks, and a banging body.

It was absurd when Demi Moore did it, & it’s absurd now, with Lopez too.

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2019 4:59 PM

Stormy Daniels is still at it at 40.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2019 5:06 PM

YIKES!!! What is going on with stormy’s nether regions? Is that a ratio across her lower abs or a lace thong? And why is her vajayjay’s pubic mound saggy? I didn’t think that was possible 🥺 ?

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2019 6:20 PM

Trump effect, R15.

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2019 6:23 PM

I don't care if Lizzo is 500 lbs. if she could sing. But her claim to fame seems to be just twerking in a diaper while playing the flute.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2019 7:24 PM

Lucy did it better!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2019 7:31 PM

The Stormy photo triggered this memory of a late afternoon or or early evening back in, I dunno, anywhere from 2002- 2007, when I was getting ready to go to the gym, and Access Hollywood was on in my bedroom.

They were running a segment on this woman whom I’d never heard of before in my life, & I was wondering why the fuck she was on, you know?

Anyhow, the segment focused on how she kept herself in such top physical form, and she was asked what her daily exercise routine was. She prattled on about how every morning she got up & did sit ups, and then she walked up Runyon Canyon, back down Runyon, back up once again, & then back down. Then she talked about her food choices, and went on to say that she repeated the exact same routine again in the afternoon. 300 sit-ups, then twice up & down Runyon.

I listened, & thought to myself, that she must be someone’s mistress, and he probably lives in New York, or out of town, or has small children with a wife here in LA, because anyone who has the time to go up & down Runyon 4X daily, along with 600 or more sit-ups, while living in a cute little place next to Runyon, & is a nobody as far as celebrity status goes, but is discussing her workout routine on NBC, is obviously the kept woman of a wealthy man who is well connected, at least with NBC. The interview stuck in my head, because I had never seen a complete no-name “model” get an entire segment on Access Hollywood. It was completely unusual, and hence, stood out.

And I was right! Years later, she was all over the media, claiming she had a long term affair with our newly “elected” President, Donald Trump, & her name is Karen McDougal.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2019 8:59 PM

[quote] And what is a "Lizzo" and why does it have a career?

There's a grease fire waiting for you, OP. Find it. It's calling your name!

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2019 9:06 PM

Following the hype of J-Lo and her latest movie, I saw it today.

It was okay. The "based on a true story" bit was the most interesting part of the whole movie, imo.

As far as an Oscar nom for J-Lo, no. Just no.

While I would agree that her acting was improved over some of her other movies (Maid in Manhattan, etc.), in this film her character was an extension of herself.

How difficult a stretch to imagine her in body-con clothing with wide hoop earrings and over the top accoutrements...speaking with a NY accent? It's basically her: a hustler, perhaps in Hollywood than strictly on Wall Street.

I would imagine there are far more worthy actors that inhabited actual characters for nominations this year.

We can only hope.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2019 1:17 AM

"Let's face it: all I know how to do is take off my clothes."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2019 1:57 AM

Is J-Lo well liked amongst her peers? Too many people claim she’s a rude bitch. No one in the Academy is voting for a rude bitch who can barely act in a movie not produced by Harvey Weinstein, circa 2017.

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2019 2:37 AM

I wouldn’t contribute a cent to that homophobe Cardi B’s career. She made her career on the backs of gays and she does everything in her power to drag us down. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2019 2:48 AM

A lot of factors favor J-Lo winning the award, actually: it's a flashy role, she plays a tramp, and the role is a career triumph for her.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2019 2:55 AM

[quote]I’m sick of Lizzo, everyone is up her butt right now.

Are they keeping track of who’s up there? People could become lost up Lizzo’s giant ass.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2019 3:04 AM

[R26] at least 10 gay men saying, “fierce, fierce, fierce, werk it” fit up there.

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2019 3:15 AM

I can’t wait for her to get her Oscar nom so DL elder tards can lose their shit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2019 3:17 AM

"If these adoring white people had to deal with her in real life, they would judge and dislike her."

No, only racist Trumpsters like you would dislike her

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2019 3:17 AM

[quote] I can’t wait for her to get her Oscar nom so DL elder tards can lose their shit

J-Lo didn't deliver on her performance.

All hype. PR.

by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2019 3:46 AM

No way that shit gets an Oscar nod.

No way in hell.

by Anonymousreply 31September 16, 2019 3:58 AM

[Quote] Too many people claim she’s a rude bitch.

I wasted 13 mins to see if she was going to be an asshole, but no such luck. It was funny to hear her talk about the character's slutty dance moves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 16, 2019 11:15 AM

[R29] No, I’m not a racist. I’m pointing out that if Lizzie wasn’t famous and had talent, white people, especially gays, would judge her. She’s not an over educated, WASP male, who comes from money. You know it’s true!

by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2019 1:24 PM

You first, cunt R20.

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2019 2:16 AM

JLO was a dam a good actress before Gigli. After that whole Bennifer fiasco every project she's been in sucked. She should have got a nod for Selena.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2019 2:20 AM

This Oscar talk is drummed up by her team. She's fake. She needs to know her place in the world or someone is going to out her as not having sung on her tracks.

And Stormy needs those girls hoisted up.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2019 2:25 AM

Do male strippers hang around until 50? What's their shelf life?

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2019 2:26 AM

Most Male strippers do not get to stay around until 50. It’s different for women.

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2019 2:29 AM

Mmm. Menopausal pussy is so hot.

by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2019 5:18 AM

OP AS there are seemingly a billion threads on the cunt you could have just bitched on one of those threads rather starting yet another fucking one

by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2019 5:22 AM

OP hasn't seen the movie. What a douche nozzle.

by Anonymousreply 41September 17, 2019 5:37 AM

[Quote] fucking drongo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 17, 2019 5:52 AM

One of the characters portrayed in the movie gives her opinion. She's hoping it will help to sell her own upcoming book.

by Anonymousreply 43September 17, 2019 6:11 AM

Lizzo is extremely popular with white women who have exactly zero black friends.

by Anonymousreply 44September 17, 2019 6:14 AM

R43, Adding the link. When is DL getting an edit function?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 17, 2019 6:19 AM

This film is probably fun to watch if you’re a 20 yo twit who lives on IG and Snapchat, puckering your newly injected lips and the nose job that 10 million other twits got last year, too.

What’s so fucking cool about this story? Basically, a group of cunts get together & decide that they’re gonna rip off a bunch of horny out of towners and target the locals from Wall Street, because according their collective and expansive knowledge on mortgage backed securities, as well as mega-complex financial products, they feel justified in their “Robin Hood Wears Lucite Heels & A Sequined Thong” vendetta.

Give us all a fucking break. These chicks were a bunch of thieving whores. They weren’t “Hustlers”. They were whores who were so unmotivated and aimless, that their BEST idea when times got tough for millions of Americans was to fuck over a bunch of losers who also happened to have ample lines of credit.

They’re lucky one of these guys didn’t come back with a crew of thugs to beat the living shit out of them. And J-Lo actually thinks this here story with her playing a washed up floozie is garnering her an award? Bitch, puh-leeze!!! She should’ve fucked Harvey when she had the chance. That’s what a real “Hustler” would’ve done, right???

by Anonymousreply 46September 17, 2019 11:39 AM

[R44] Thank you, well said.

by Anonymousreply 47September 17, 2019 1:24 PM

It’s a huge hit but yeah, the Jlo Oscar buzz has died down. It’s best hope inow is the Golden Globes.

by Anonymousreply 48September 17, 2019 1:29 PM

Can't see ANY award for J-Lo.

Have we fallen this far in movie quality?

by Anonymousreply 49September 17, 2019 4:34 PM

It was mostly JLo herself who was generating the “Oscar buzz”.

by Anonymousreply 50September 18, 2019 12:35 AM

That's not true. The fucking New Yorker, Variety and the TIFF reviews all touted JLO as an Oscar contender. The awards are meaningless but that doesn't mean her performance is not noteworthy.

by Anonymousreply 51September 18, 2019 12:51 AM

She gave a top notch performance. I was highly moved by her final scene with the photo of Destiny. Her acting was superb.

by Anonymousreply 52September 18, 2019 2:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!