Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Any American Revolutionary War history fans here?

AMC shows "TURN: Washington's Spies" every now and then, and I make sure to watch it every time.

It was such a well done series. One of the best that I've ever seen on television.

The history of the American Revolutionary War is so fascinating and rich, and the outcome produced the richest and most powerful country in the history of the world.

There was so much to learn about that period, and all of the dynamics between the American states, England, and France, as well as the prominent leaders of the day, the role of slavery in the colonies, etc.

Would love to hear some discussion about this subject.

by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2019 3:11 PM

It was an excellent show. Netflix has it as well.

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2019 2:05 AM

We were richer compared to the rest of the world then than we are now. And powerful? Well, I guess it's easy to claim since we haven't been tested, but I don't have the same faith in our military thinkers that you have. I mean $6 million drones may be fancy, but the next war will probably be won by a billion $100 drones.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2019 2:27 AM

No I hate the American Revolution. The way its history is done is pompous and lacking any sort of comparative context. I like the Haitian Revolution.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2019 2:34 AM

I can understand how you think that the history is written in a "pompous" way, but I don't understand the part about "comparative context," R3.

Compared to what?

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2019 2:38 AM

As far as causing earthquakes with sound weapons, I fear we are late to the party. Chinese Communists have been disorganizing minds with sounds waves for fifty years.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2019 2:39 AM

Also on Amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2019 5:52 AM

I have a direct ancestor who fought at Valley Forge.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2019 3:05 PM

The BF is very into this.

He is currently reading a book called "The British Are Coming" by Rick Atkinson which he said to tell you he highly recommends.

If you don't want to take his word for it, the Times gives it a stellar review

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2019 4:18 PM

If you read R6 as an extension of R5, it's funny. And a little scary.

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2019 5:08 PM

Being from Morristown, NJ we grew up on it, signs entering town proclaim "Military Capital of the Revolution" (which seems rather Soviet to me).

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2019 5:13 PM

"I have a direct ancestor who fought at Valley Forge. "

So do I, an ancestor was one of General Washington's aides de camp.

I could join the DAR if I cared to! And if I were female.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2019 5:50 PM

Did the Redcoats present hole?

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2019 5:53 PM

Join the Sons of the American Revolution, r11.

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2019 7:20 PM

Has anyone been to the relatively new Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia? The star attraction is the actual tent George Washington used during his campaigns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2019 8:38 PM

No R14, but that sounds like a great idea for a surprise birthday trip, so thank you!

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2019 8:47 PM

One of my favorite bits from Family Ties was about the American Revolution. Mallory needed to do a report on it and talked about how the British wore redcoats, but the Patriots went all casual.

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2019 9:00 PM

[quote]the outcome produced the richest and most powerful country in the history of the world.

For someone who professes a love of history, your lack of historical knowledge and relevant context is troubling.

Roman Empire and Mongol Empire of Ghengis Khan?

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2019 9:08 PM

Sorry R17, but that's just not true.

I'm not going to get into the many reasons you're so very wrong, but suffice it to say... you're wrong.

If you have any evidence to the contrary, feel free to produce it.

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2019 9:27 PM

Sorry r18, but that's just not true.

I'm not going to get in the many reasons why you're so very wrong, but suffice it to say...you're wrong.

If you have any evidence to the contrary, feel free to produce it - since you're the one who made the initial faulty claim of that the revolution "produced the richest and most powerful country in the history of the world" which I rebutted with a claim made at the same level of abstraction as your initial claim.

Therefore, since we've both made assertions at the same level of abstraction, the next step is for you to provide support for your claim(s) - that the US is the richest and most powerful country in the history of the world.

Which I, in turn, will rebut with supporting evidence. Otherwise, I'm letting you off the hook by defending my position, which was a rebuttal to your claim, rather than your supporting yours.

Or not. Do as you please.

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2019 1:12 AM

HEADLINE:

GAY MESSAGE BOARD POSTERS SOLVE ISSUE OF WHETHER UNITES STATES OR ROME WAS GREATER POWER

News at 11

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2019 1:20 AM

Headline:

Silly Millennial Goes to a Thread Labeled for History Fans and Wonders Why It Discusses History

--Tweeted since they don't have the attention span to actually watch the news

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2019 1:32 AM

TL;DR R21

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2019 1:54 AM

Lmao!

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2019 2:32 AM

It's a fascinating period of history.

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2019 4:43 AM

Yes, OP.

I have an 1860 letter from my Great-Great Grandpa, Young Sam, about his Great-Grandpa, Old Sam, who he knew to age 20. The letter has mistakes of memory. There are differences between what I can prove about war service (pensions, etc., they paid war-service pensions then), and what is in the letter, but it seems thusly:

The men from my native hometown, Marblehead, MA, assembled in a militia, and marched to Bunker Hill because they heard of the commotion. They arrived late, but still engaged the British.

Old Sam either marched there with the militia, or he heard the stories from the returning men. He got pissed off and definitely signed with the Continental Army a week later as a drummer boy, being only 14. He served in Cambridge under Washington for 9 months. He eventually lost a log, and had to give up being a mariner and became an artist.

The Marblehead boys, being expert mariners, were the soldiers who rowed Washington’s Army across the East River, and then the Delaware River, thus saving the Republic.

The end.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2019 8:53 PM

Here’s a British drum from the Bunker Hill Museum. You surely know that the drummers were used to signal battle action, and to help troops pace their steps while marching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2019 9:07 PM

Old Sam lost a [italic] leg, [/italic] not a log. Though he might also have lost a log, I don’t know.

Thank you, OP, I will watch that.

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2019 9:11 PM

There was this ship builder who was in the “Sons of Liberty”, a pro-revolution group, and a participant in the Boston Tea Party. A book I bought in Boston’s Old North Church said that his burial place was unknown. That was the church that hung the lantern in the steeple, in Longfellow’s poem, to signal Paul Revere (“One if by land, two if by sea...”). The family was friends with Revere and entertained him often.

I actually found the guy’s burial place - it was in a crypt in that very Church! I researched it because he’s buried with my own family and I thought there might be an intermarriage, but there wasn’t. They were just business associates and pals. I got the man’s descendants admitted to the Sons of the American Revolution, which still exists. I go to their lectures, when they have one.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2019 9:36 PM

Keep in mind r28 Longfellow wrote a poem and took great poetic license in the story. Paul Revere already knew what was up before he crossed the river, he did not need the lanterns. He never said “the British are coming,” they were considered British themselves, he would have said “the Regulars are coming,” which is what they called the British soldiers

Paul Revere NEVER made it to Concord, he was captured and held by the soldiers. History should remember Samuel Prescott, an excellent horseman he ran into on the ride, who managed to outmaneuver the soldiers, get way and flee to Concord warning them of the invasion and preparing them for the battle.

Revere never rode off into the night warning everyone, he was held for awhile. Longfellow wrote the poem as propaganda to rally the North into fighting the Civil War, trying to inspire the idea that each person can make a difference in their actions.

I taught the poem, the historical record and read Paul Revere’s deposition as a primary source document to show how these elements intersect informing what we know about an historical event to my 4th grade students. Here’s a link to the deposition, which is interesting reading. The kids loved all the “God damns!” Paul said. You can click transcription to read it yourself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2019 11:55 PM

R29, thank you, I will read it tomorrow.

I have at least one other Rev War soldier ancestor. A colonel who enlisted in the town militia at age 36. No escapades of note, to me.

Marblehead was a fishing town, but the British had a blockade. With no other way to earn money, the Brits, no doubt, encouraged the town’s men to enlist in the army to earn money.

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2019 1:19 AM

In the oldest Marblehead cemetery, there are only two Blacks buried there, as far as I can tell.

One was a slave who seems to have raised the family children, after the mother died. No idea on the relationship between the father and “Agnis Negro”. But I imagine the children putting up a fuss when she died, to demand she be buried with the family. She died 1718.

The Black fellow buried there was “Black Joe” and seems to have been well liked. IIRC, he owned a tavern. He made a biscuit that didn’t go stale, which was a big deal as the fishermen would go out to sea for months with packages of biscuits. He also served in the Revolution. His gravemarker notes so, and adds “a well respected citizen”. Died 1834.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2019 1:50 AM

I wonder how much buggery happened among the fisherman at sea for months.

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2019 1:53 AM

Me too, R32, but they were very religious. My 10th great grandfather was fined for working on the Sabbath! One time they charged him, but excused him, because “the cows really needed tending”. Isn’t that funny? I think cows need to be milked every day.

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2019 2:03 AM

My ancestor painted this. It’s a copy of a famous painting of Washington crossing the Delaware. To demonstrate that it’s a copy and not a forgery, he added a moon in the sky, which is not in the original.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2019 2:29 AM

The original of this is in Marblehead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2019 2:30 AM

I like this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2019 2:37 AM

Here’s some trivia:

OP, one of the first Americans to die in the Revolution was a Black man, Crispus Attucks.

Future President John Adams was the lawyer who defended the British soldiers who fired their guns in the Boston Massacre.

by Anonymousreply 37September 18, 2019 12:43 AM

I heard a historian say that newspapers were so expensive, that one person would buy one, then read it to his friends in the coffee houses and bars.

Also, he said that the rebels had a team of riders to deliver important news in the colonies. So the news of the massacre in Boston would have reached Portland, Maine; and Richmond, Virginia, very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2019 12:48 AM

Benedict Arnold led the British to burn down my home town, New London, CT, a port city. As a child, we yearly toured one of the old historic homes that escaped the fire. We also toured Ft. Griswold in Groton, CT. When the America General surrendered it to the British, the British General accepted the American’s sword, then used it to run the American through. That kind of thing wasn’t done then, or even now, usually.

by Anonymousreply 39September 18, 2019 12:55 AM

[quote] the British General accepted the American’s sword, then used it to run the American through

Not sure what you meant by this.

Do you mean he killed him with the sword?

by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2019 2:30 AM

Yes, r40, he thrust the sword right through him.

by Anonymousreply 41September 18, 2019 2:38 AM

R39 I can't see in this link where the British General murders the revolutionary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2019 7:41 AM

oh god, that yankee doodle guy. yes, we all know some relative is buried at the old north church. you have said it enough.

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2019 7:55 AM

Shut it, R43.

This is the thread for him to share!

It's what the op asked.

by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2019 8:13 AM

There needs to be a source for R39's story. I've never heard it. So far as I know, the main 'war crimes' assertions during and after the war were against the Americans, because of how they treated prisoners of war. Their French allies were reportedly appalled.

by Anonymousreply 45September 18, 2019 8:41 AM

[quote] I can't see in this link where the British General murders the revolutionary.

R42, it's in the Battle section

Jonathan Rathbun described a British officer cold-bloodedly killing Colonel Ledyard with Ledyard's own sword:

The wretch who murdered him [Ledyard] exclaimed, as he came near, "Who commands this fort?" Ledyard handsomely replied, "I did, but you do now," at the same moment handing him his sword, which the unfeeling villain buried in his breast! Oh, the hellish spite and madness of a man that will murder a reasonable and noble-hearted officer, in the act of submitting and surrendering![32]

by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2019 2:12 PM

There's Gore Vidal's Burr, which has a running account of the Revolution. Very Entertaining in that sassy / brilliant Vidal manner. I wonder why nobody thought to re-publish it during the whole Hamilton Mania?

by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2019 2:35 PM

R11 - There is an organization called Society of the Descendants of Washington's Army at Valley Forge. Membership is open to both men and women, as long as you can conclusively prove through various genealogical records that you are a direct descendant. My dad proved the direct line and I was able to use my birth certificate and his membership number to prove my qualifications for membership.

by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2019 3:03 PM

Thank you, r44. R43’s grandfather was hatched in a dung heap, and he’s sensitive about that.

by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2019 3:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!