Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Best Selling Female Albums of Each Year 1960-2019

This is interesting. Diana killed it!

The 2019 one is wrong, as Ariana was the best selling until “Lover” by Taylor came out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152December 23, 2019 7:47 PM

this was fun to watch, I remember listening to every single song since 1980 (I was born in 74). Thank you OP!

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2019 1:15 AM

The Supremes owned the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2019 1:19 AM

I must be old. I have never heard of Shakira or Rihanna or Ariana Grande. I know of Beyonce, Taylor Swift and Gaga, but couldn't name a song of theirs if my life depended on it.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2019 1:26 AM

Sweetie, there was no Supremes without me!

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2019 1:27 AM

R3 you’re either lying or live under a rock. Who hasn’t heard of Shakira or Rihanna? Ariana I will forgive you for as she’s newer, but she’s always mentioned on this site!!!

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2019 1:28 AM

The best voice stills goes to Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2019 1:31 AM

2019 isn't over yet, so how can there be a right answer?

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2019 5:16 AM

Aren't the Carpenters and Blondie considered GROUPS (and not all-female, like the Supremes?)

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2019 5:24 AM

Stupid. Ok. It's biased towards Madonna music.

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2019 5:37 AM

Just shows the devaluation of music over time. Taylor Swift and Beyonce are horrible singers. Adele? Over produced elevator music.

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2019 5:39 AM

How could 2005 have Madonna's ABBA remix and Mariah's We Belong Together as the top song of that year? Mariah played everywhere that year. The MADONNA ABBA remix was specific to gay crowds

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2019 5:40 AM

Love it. No big surprises, if anything it sort of validates a lot of good news over a long passage of time. Of course we know that Diana, Barbra, Madonna, Mariah, Whitney, Adele and Swift will make strong showings. She was long before my time but I was surprised that Patsy Cline was THAT popular. I did expect Celine to show up a few more times, but the rest all made sense. Good news. Archduke of Belgrade puts out great content for gays interested in females singers. The great and not so great voices. You think people argue about the divas on DL, you should spend some time on his channel.

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2019 5:40 AM

R9 Sales are biased? Are you DJT? R11 You poor thing- you realize Madonna was huge in 2005 all over the world and in the USA. Or are you, too, DJT?

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2019 5:42 AM

R11 You must be really sheltered if you think Hung Up was just popular with gay crowds you fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2019 5:58 AM

The category is best selling ALBUMS of each year, not songs, R11.

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2019 6:04 AM

Can’t stand Taylor Swift and her poor victim game she plays. Glad group Tool knocked her down to number 2 . Her fans are vicious. Don’t say anything bad on Twitter. I was attacked and wished dead and hoped I got cancer. Love Ariana. Best voice. Tattoo Heart done old style is amazing. On You Tube. Her first music awards performance. Got standing ovation.

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2019 7:18 AM

No wonder Diana wanted to be the Crossover Black Barbra. They were neck-in-neck vying for top female album sellers throughout most of Diane’s career. I am particularly impressed by Ross’s open admiration for her album-selling equal, instead of throwing rivalry and shade like the Careys, Rihannas, Beyoncés and Lópeces of nowadays do... The diva probably venerated The Babs because the latter managed to rule Theater and film as well, something Miss Ross strived for.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2019 8:29 AM

[quote]Aren't the Carpenters and Blondie considered GROUPS (and not all-female, like the Supremes?)

Correct. But in those cases, the lead singer and most of the sound is strictly female, unlike, say Fleetwood Mac, The Fifth Dimension or The B-52s

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2019 8:33 AM

The Exciters, ABBA, The Orlons, Jefferson Airplane, among others, would also fit into the girl group or female voice category, even if they had males amongst their members.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2019 8:38 AM

R14, In the US it was.

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2019 9:09 AM

R17; Rihanna and Beyoncé have never insulted or shaded other artists. Mariah throws shade because she’s petty and bitter.

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2019 9:10 AM

"Lover" isn't a bad album. Not as good as "1989" tho.

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2019 9:15 AM

R2 Fuck off Berry, Babs actually won an Oscar so Diana is second class, in everyway

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2019 9:15 AM

R21, Rihanna doesn't shade anyone because she can't afford to do so, as she is one of the worst "singers" in history and one of the most undeserving celebrities ever. However, she has proven to be right out cunt whenever she can, such as when she mocked on of her own fans and drove everyone to bully her online. She is a complete disaster who cannot sing, dance or act, and her success is beyond comprehension, as her songs have become increasingly bad and lacking in hooks as time has progressed. The likes of her, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry and that old sack of cellulite Jennifer Lopez (let's not forget the original talentless hack, Madonna), are an embarrassment.

Beyoncé is a consummate professional and she keeps things civil and courteous all the time, as ought to be done. Still, she is a good singer; not anywhere near the best, but she has worked very hard to develop her voice and does it very well when singing live. The fact that most of her material is rubbish is what ruins things for her, but otherwise she is good - in the 60's, 70's, 80's and especially the 90's, she would have never shone brightly amidst the big belters like Whitney, Patti, Taylor Dayne, Mariah, Barbra et al, but she would still have been considered good, as she very much deserves.

As for Mariah, she doesn't have anything left to prove. When she had a voice, it was molten gold and she used it masterfully to sing several songs that have become classics, which are the two things that make a diva : exceptional talent and great songs performed like nobody else can. It does look a bit petty for her to be attacking people who are at the bottom of the barrel, but she has earned the right to do whatever she wants. How many people can say that?

As for Diana Ross, R17, you must remember that she was a star during a time when ProTools didn't exist. Singers had to be good to be considered average, and most often only the very best rose to the top. Of course she admired Barbra, because those who are great admire and respect each other. Still, it is undeniable that Barbra was better, as were many other singers (Aretha, Patti, Linda Ronstadt, Florence LaRue, etc). However, Diana has charisma and star quality, not to mention that she could do some very impressive things with her voice. She was among her peers, in short. She belonged and she knew it, so she admired those who I am sure, admired her as well.

So yes, we cannot compare.

by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2019 11:04 AM

Britney owning 1999 and 2000 is my favorite. She changed pop music

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2019 1:44 PM

r23=Mary Wilson

by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2019 7:04 PM

R24 You sound completely deranged and your entire post was laughable. Your entire post was one huge MARY! You have a hard on for "belters" but many people are unimpressed with "belters". That isn't what singing is about. It is the equivalent of chewing the scenery in acting. So what! A true singer can take whatever voice they have and make you FEEL the song and lyrics. Also, you leave out songwriting and the actual songs. They are as important, if not more, than the actual singing. Go back to jacking off to The Voice creep.

by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2019 7:15 PM

[quote]Babs actually won an Oscar

She tied for an Oscar. And it was the year she was also admitted as a member.

by Anonymousreply 28September 15, 2019 7:21 PM

And who cares about Oscars. They meant something then. Awards, all of them, are junk now.

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2019 7:23 PM

r28 She won another Oscar for "Evergreen."

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2019 8:35 PM

I found most interesting the outliers that only had one big year/album and then adios: Patsy Cline, Dusty Springfield, Carly Simon, Cyndi Lauper, Tracy Chapman, Norah Jones, Katy Perry. Much more 'of an era' rather than evolutionary.

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2019 9:42 PM

^ and Alanis Morissette too R31. I thought, oh yes, of course, Good. Especially about Tracy Chapman. That's a great album and one of the most beloved songs of my youth. Fast Car.

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2019 10:08 PM

The one offs are interesting - Tracy Chapman, Dusty Springfield, Norah Jones, Enya, Carly Simon, Carole King, Alannis. A real window into the time.

by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2019 10:39 PM

Katy Perry was not a one off. She had 3 big albums and like 10 #1's. Hardly a one off but then again, if you're trying to big up a flopping 30ish female singer (you haven't named yet conveniently) trying to diminish Katy would do the trick.

Alanis was a shame. She was so, so good. Her 2nd album was still pretty big, though.

by Anonymousreply 34September 16, 2019 12:27 AM

Katy wasn’t a one off. She’s a major pop star. The thing is she only had one album that was the best selling for the year. That’s not bad. Just the other albums didn’t do as well.

by Anonymousreply 35September 16, 2019 12:47 AM

R24 Your description of Mariah is gut busting. Aside from your extreme hyperbole (Are you Roger Friedman?), she can't perform them live as she is terrible live so her "exceptional" talent is questionable. Physically, she had a voice, but she didn't know how to use it instead of annoying dog whistles and whispers.

by Anonymousreply 36September 16, 2019 2:59 AM

Mariah defenders love to say that because her mother was an opera singer - that she learned the art of vocal production and technique from her. They never mention that Mariah was truant from the age of 4 years old and that her mother never made any money from singing, ever. Not until Mimi's xmas special. NOEL. Mariah had a voice god damn, but she never learned how to sing. Mariah can't sing. I say it all the time. Whitney gets blamed for the cultural overdose of melisma....Na, ah, uh. Mariah invented singing the no discernable melody, altering every note to inchoate squeals and moans and landing like a hummingbird on a run of melismatic interruptus. She always sounded like she was singing into a fan....the oscillating kind. Her overuse of melisma rendered lyrics obsolete. She can't sing. She could swell and crescendo and break voice and trill, traverse octaves, shakily, and whistle. Sometimes gospell it off LOUD. But she can't sing.

Melisma was in use long before the greatest = Whitney Houston, recorded something so remarkable and artful with it. Luther and Aretha been melismaing around for years. Mariah ruined it for everyone. Because she is incapable of singing one note with clarity, solid intonation or intention. She's not a nice girl singer. No doubt why she switched to beats, whispering and breathing heavy. Because she couldn't even sing her own ballads by the time she was 25. Dog whistles and melismatic cries for help. Bitch couldn't reach those notes, traverse those runs or take the time to build a song. NODES. She never was much good at stringing it together. Somehow she got very rich and made some sweet hip hop hits. Mariah sold out on a power girl singer succeeding after Whitney - but Celine proved her wrong.

Ariana proves nothing. She hasn't a world class voice. But she deserves her shine. Just better than some others. Nice to see that Kelly Clarkson and Pink each were at the top for a year. Those bitches can sing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 16, 2019 3:52 AM

R37 Thank you!

And belting or being loud is not singing. So many of the best selling singers have average voices (in the technical part) but they know how to connect to their lyrics and emote which cannot be learned. It is a gift. I actually hate most big voiced divas. Few know how to actually sing. It is almost as if the song they are singing doesn't matter. There is no melody to their singing and the lyrics don't matter as 37 said. That isn't singing nor does it make a song.

by Anonymousreply 38September 16, 2019 4:00 AM

Gaga really came back with a vengeance in 2018 after a rough couple of years!

by Anonymousreply 39September 16, 2019 4:43 AM

[quote]Britney owning 1999 and 2000 is my favorite. She changed pop music

Pop music changes at the turn of every decade (more so in the twentieth century when it wasn’t all electronic mush), usually by way of a resurgence of the dance genre:

1949-50 - swing/big bands to rockabilly/rhythm and blues/rock and roll with just rhythm sections and electric guitars.

1959-60 - dancing separates couples for the first time and individuality rules as they shifted from rock and roll to the dance crazes ushered in by the twist. Pop music’s roots shortened to “rock.”

1969-70 - the psychedelic drug- fueled music pushed the limits of individual expression even further as a decade marked with constant change in fashion, music, and politics comes to an end.

1979-80 - one word: disco

1989-90 - after a decade spent repudiating disco, dance music makes a huge come back that shows electronic roots are here to stay: Soul II Soul, C+C, DeeLite, and thanks to electronics- fake acts like Milli Vanilli, the many acts who were simply Martha Wash’s voice, British imports like Lonnie Gordon/Black Box, and the glorious Summer of 1990 (the Summer of Vogue).

1999-2000 - Autotune comes to the forefront (it had existed for a while) changing dance music forever via the aforementioned Britney Spears, Cherbot (Believe), and the Latin invasion (Ricky, Enrique, Jon, Gloria, Mark, Shakira, Jlo, many aided by The Miami SM)

2010-11 -four syllables: Lady Gaga

Who will be in charge of the 2019-20 flip? Perhaps the multicultural, hyper-sexed, and uncensored urban sounds of reggaeton, Latin pop, and trap (Pitbull, Daddy Yankee, Luis Fonsi, Maluma, Bad Bunny, etc.)?

by Anonymousreply 40September 16, 2019 7:06 AM

You have such diverse history R40. ha. We're laughing our asses off at your terrible overview. Pretty wrong synopsis pops. Wayout.

by Anonymousreply 41September 16, 2019 7:15 AM

And don’t forget the famous one-hit wonder who showed everyone it was OK to physicalize every melismatic shift with breaths, moans and gestures (something Aretha never did) to show you how hard she was working:

Jennifer Holiday’s theatrical roots showed through her gargantuan voice and exaggerated physicality, all meant of course to fill an entire theater with powerful performances and thunderous standing ovations 8 times a week. Pop singers took that to town, ushering decades of aspiring star searchers and national idols, all trying to outmaneuver each other through long, pitched, loud notes and physically enhanced nuances/melismas. It did indeed become tiresome. What worked on the Broadway stage was at best abrasive diva behavior from undeserving wannabes.

by Anonymousreply 42September 16, 2019 7:18 AM

And the irony is that the Broadway stage, aided by perfected portable or hidden microphones 🎤 and enhanced vocals, has become a predictable if entertaining showcase for mostly pop sounds. Thank you Disney and hip-hop. Almost gone (for good or bad, let the audiences decide) are the days if plot advancing over-enunciated lyrics and legit House-filling unmiked voices. And almost every musical number ends in the same tonal resolution, just in different keys.

I’m sure there will be a shift when people get tired of Disney princesses, super heroes and hip hop revisions of history.

by Anonymousreply 43September 16, 2019 7:25 AM

Well then correct me if you can do better, r41. At least I felt and lived through most those changes (born in 1960) which clearly you didn’t since you have nothing to add but criticism. And no I won’t call you pops or grandpa because you don’t deserve that title of respect, since your attitude clearly shows you’re just a punk.

by Anonymousreply 44September 16, 2019 7:29 AM

And yes, my history is diverse and multicultural (three languages four geographic residence regions) and again, I consider that a compliment. So thanks for noticing.

by Anonymousreply 45September 16, 2019 7:30 AM

Mariah had raw talent but no discipline or training whatsoever which is why she ruined her voice in the long run. However Mariah wrote pretty much all of her stuff, a string of damn good songs starting with Vision of Love.

by Anonymousreply 46September 16, 2019 7:32 AM

I'm black. You don't seem to acknowledge black people in music old man. Or anywhere else R44. I am much younger than you, that's true. I recognize you tho. You don't need to sign your name for me to see you. peace

by Anonymousreply 47September 16, 2019 7:35 AM

Pretty much every turn I described had black and brown based music in it (from rhythm and blues to the twist to soul to disco to Latin/urban) so I’m not sure WTF you are talking about and I’m sorry you see it that way. I’m not offended by being called identifiable. Peace to you too.

And sorry everyone else for the long-winded posts. Provocation and insomnia (every fucking night from 12 to 4) can be potent catalysts.

by Anonymousreply 48September 16, 2019 7:53 AM

Is that old racist latin bitch for real? I remember him from the Antonio Brown threads. Do four "geographic residence regions" refer to prisons? Who knew they got Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 49September 16, 2019 7:54 AM

Seems 2002 and Norah Jones was the last dying breath of class in America.

by Anonymousreply 50September 16, 2019 8:29 AM

[quote]Aren't the Carpenters and Blondie considered GROUPS (and not all-female, like the Supremes?)

Yes and The Star is Born soundtracks, both, features songs by others. These four should not be on the list.

by Anonymousreply 51September 16, 2019 9:16 AM

This is fun OP.

[quote] Just shows the devaluation of music over time.

Not as badly as I feared.

by Anonymousreply 52September 16, 2019 11:01 AM

[quote]is that old racist latin bitch for real? I remember him from the Antonio Brown threads.

Don’t even know who he is, but whatever gets you through the night.

[quote]Do four "geographic residence regions" refer to prisons?

Who’s the racist bigot here?

Anyway I’m done with your rants. Have a good life.

by Anonymousreply 53September 16, 2019 1:30 PM

Britney changed pop music. Music was different before BOMT came out and shot to the top worldwide and made her a household name worldwide

by Anonymousreply 54September 16, 2019 3:36 PM

R27, I was ready to write an angry response to you but after reading your irrational tirades, I have decided to be compassionate instead. After all, an imbecile who admires a talentless bag of shit like Katy Perry, who cannot sing a single note live without sounding like a deranged maenad, and whose songs are entirely disposable, deserves compassion.

First of all, great voices are not just powerful: they are agile, elastic and beautiful. They have perfectly integrated ranges that they use to great effect, and there is of course musicality and sense of rhythm. The people I have mentioned all possessed these qualities. Incidentally, most of the are belters because belting is impressive-sounding and it does require quite a bit of skill. Mediocre and bad singers can work as hard as they want and "connect" with the lyrics as much a they want: they are still not good enough, and they must resort to "emotion", "depth" and "edginess" to mask their incompetence. It's as simple as that.

Also, Mariah Carey used to sing beautifully before her nodules got so bad that she can completely lost control of her voice. The fact that her mother was an opera singer is irrelevant, because Mariah's singing clearly doesn't have strong classical foundations. Still, R37, claiming that she cannot sing is ridiculous, as the long list of traits that you've ascribed to her are exactly what every other good singer has done throughout history (including Whitney Houston). Yes, Mariah Carey has what in the late 80's was a very unusual style and as time has progressed and the quality of her voice has decreased, she has developed a tendency to excessively rely on ornamentation, but that doesn't mean that she hasn't been a fantastic singer. And R40/R47 is right - her vocal decline has a lot more to do with laziness and a fondness for drinking alcohol, than anything else.

Some of you crazies are really odd. The fact that you don't like a singer doesn't mean that they are bad, especially when you yourselves list the many qualities they possess in a bizarre attempt to dismiss them... LOL! Not liking something doesn't invalidate it - just as you shouldn't praise people who have horrible voices, are always out of tune and lack both agility and range, just because you feel that they "connect" with the lyrics (in short, people you like because you have very poor criterion).

Listen to this and say that this isn't a beautiful voice and a well performed song. Yes, her vocal decline had already started, but she was glorious in here - just imagine what she could have achieved if she had taken care of her instrument (and the same can be applied to Whitney, by the way).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 16, 2019 7:29 PM

R55 is tiresome, we don’t need more than a paragraph of your ranting. “Katy BAD, Mariah GOOD”.

by Anonymousreply 56September 16, 2019 7:32 PM

Not on her best day was Mariah ever as great as Whitney Houston. Mariah has the tone of a tired tween girl who's been up crying all night. And the temperment.

by Anonymousreply 57September 16, 2019 7:39 PM

I personally prefer Mariah to Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 58September 16, 2019 7:43 PM

R56, eat shit and die.

R57, I have never claimed that Mariah is, was or could ever be better than Whitney. Whitney's voice was simply perfect - impeccably clear, rich and vibrant tone, much power, elastic and agile and with a great range. She also had a completely majestic style, which Mariah lacks. There is a reason why Whitney is considered the best.

But Mariah was a very good singer and she had an extremely beautiful and agile voice in her prime. The fact that she is beyond immature and has adopted an increasingly ridiculous Lolita image in an attempt to deny the passing of time, is an entirely different matter altogether.

by Anonymousreply 59September 16, 2019 7:57 PM

this made me sad...its bittersweet

by Anonymousreply 60September 16, 2019 8:08 PM

And of these songs, Madge's "Hung Up" is the greatest.

by Anonymousreply 61September 16, 2019 8:51 PM

R61 WW’ing themselves for their horrible musical taste.

by Anonymousreply 62September 16, 2019 8:57 PM

What I found notable is the complete absence of Jane Jacket.

by Anonymousreply 63September 16, 2019 9:21 PM

R63 she’s had many hits but never the best selling album for any year she released one. There was always someone that would sell more.

by Anonymousreply 64September 16, 2019 9:23 PM

R64 but never anyone that could eat more. She has been the #1 customer of Baja Taco for 20 years straight

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 16, 2019 9:27 PM

I saw Madonna at least four times, but I didn't see Janet Jackson even once.

by Anonymousreply 66September 16, 2019 9:40 PM

Ms. Jackson was never relevant.

by Anonymousreply 67September 16, 2019 9:44 PM

2106 was incorrect. Rihanna did not have the best-selling album that year with Anti. Samsung, who she had a promotion deal with at the time, bought a million copies to give away to customers for free. That was called-out as illegitimate at the time.

by Anonymousreply 68September 16, 2019 9:46 PM

She's the Baja Tubbo.

by Anonymousreply 69September 16, 2019 9:46 PM

This really is a timeline of gay history, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 70September 16, 2019 9:49 PM

R68 I believe that sneaky maneuver is know as the "Jackson Bait & Switch."

by Anonymousreply 71September 16, 2019 9:50 PM

Gaga is the one who cheats most at sales numbers. Not that it helps her anymore. One year of her was enough.

by Anonymousreply 72September 16, 2019 9:54 PM

Barbra, Diana, Judy, Etta, Karen, Linda, Carley, Donna, Aretha.....

What a huge drop off in quallty after the 1980s.

The screeching and caterwauling of Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey were the beginning of the end.

by Anonymousreply 73September 16, 2019 10:00 PM

[quote]Gaga is the one who cheats most at sales numbers.

They all cheat now. Madonna is the biggest offender, giving CDs away free with concert tix and counting them as sales.

by Anonymousreply 74September 16, 2019 10:24 PM

R74 = Janet & Jabba

by Anonymousreply 75September 16, 2019 10:28 PM

Christina Aguilera gave away free CDs when you bought a ticket to her concert for her tour last year.

by Anonymousreply 76September 16, 2019 10:32 PM

And if they deduct the wholesale cost of the CD and pay the record company, they are sales. Considering a couple of million will just download the entire album free online the day of release which is ridiculously easy to do.

by Anonymousreply 77September 16, 2019 11:05 PM

It is a fraud.

Bundling CDs in free is not people buying a CD.

They are taking it to get the tickets to a show that will have the older songs they actually like.

Nobody actually wanted Madame X, which is why it dropped off the charts the week after those bundles were counted.

But I think they all pull those types of shenanigans. Even Beyonce.

It's just that Madonna HAS to because no one cares about Madame X.

by Anonymousreply 78September 17, 2019 1:35 AM

Beyoncé doesn’t give CDs when you go to her concerts.

by Anonymousreply 79September 17, 2019 1:39 AM

Beyonce is our queen. The woman works hard for every bit of her success and acclaim. And she goes beyond what is expected. She's a relentless innovator and performer. The old white men on Datalounge just don't get her. That's ok.

by Anonymousreply 80September 17, 2019 1:50 AM

Can we say "mediocre" boys and girls?

by Anonymousreply 81September 17, 2019 2:12 AM

Linda Ronstadt was mediocre. Not Beyonce.

by Anonymousreply 82September 17, 2019 2:21 AM

Pitiful Susan Boyle, how sad - but a beautiful voice.

by Anonymousreply 83September 17, 2019 2:24 AM

I remember when Boyle was on top of the charts 10 years ago and I was baffled by it

by Anonymousreply 84September 17, 2019 2:28 AM

I did kinda expect to see Aguilera there for a year. Kelly loved on her today. Great fun to see them together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 17, 2019 3:04 AM

Aguilera was always in Spears shadow

by Anonymousreply 86September 17, 2019 3:06 AM

1. I am an old white guy who think Beyoncé is probably the greatest "artist" on this list. 2. I remember all this music in real time. 3. what the fuck does Patty Cline have on her hair - it's like she's an alien. 4. Susan Boyle should be in the "novelty" bin 5. Spears didn't change anything - she was and is a soundtrack for a corn chips commercial.

by Anonymousreply 87September 17, 2019 3:29 AM

I love you R87. Stay forever young.

by Anonymousreply 88September 17, 2019 3:32 AM

R87 lol corn chips commercial

Everyone WW for our Elder

by Anonymousreply 89September 17, 2019 3:56 AM

I don't remember Enya being that popular, do you? I remember "Oriole Flow" being huge, but that's about it. I'm surprised to see that she had the biggest female album that year. Talk about a one-album wonder.

I'm surprised that Sade's album with "Smooth Operator" wasn't on the list. I would have sworn that it was the biggest female album that year.

There's no fucking way that Dionne Warwick's Heartbreaker was the biggest seller that year. She's a known cheater and criminal. It didn't have half the impact or hits of Streisand's Guilty, both of which were produced by Barry Gibb.

by Anonymousreply 90September 17, 2019 3:59 AM

If Gaga cheats she needs to get her money back cuz the bitch flopped hard since 2011 and only had some success when she leeches onto another, more popular performer. On her own, the general public is long over her. She isn't even in the convo as far as her peers. Even J-Lo has a huge hit movie and it has 87% on RT.

by Anonymousreply 91September 17, 2019 4:01 AM

Gaga has an Oscar and an Emmy, dear. Two things Beyonce will never have.

by Anonymousreply 92September 17, 2019 4:04 AM

I miss the 70s and 80s.

by Anonymousreply 93September 17, 2019 4:08 AM

Gaga does not have an Emmy. And ask anyone under 50 if they care about who has one what meaningless award. They don't. Only dinosaurs care. It ain't bringing bread to Gaga's table. She was one of FIVE co-writers on that Oscar song. FIVE. And she changed a word. Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 94September 17, 2019 4:18 AM

[quote]I don't remember Enya being that popular, do you? I remember "Oriole Flow" being huge, but that's about it. I'm surprised to see that she had the biggest female album that year. Talk about a one-album wonder.

If there's an opportunity for people to buy Easy Listening albums - for themselves, for their mothers, for their girlfriends - they will. See Celine Dion, Norah Jones, Adele.

by Anonymousreply 95September 17, 2019 4:25 AM

Gaga fans lie nonstop about her "achievements" but she pales in comparison to Beyonce in every way. Beyonce crushes her in sales-albums, singles, tours- and popularity. All Gaga fans can point to are bought, meaningless awards and yet, Beyonce has like 35 Grammys to Gaga's 5. Beyonce is a much better actress than Lady Fugly.

by Anonymousreply 96September 17, 2019 4:26 AM

I was pleasantly surprised to see Tracy Chapman on that list.

by Anonymousreply 97September 17, 2019 4:46 AM

[quote][R63] she’s had many hits but never the best selling album for any year she released one.

Yes, but remember this collection doesn’t take into account mega-hit albums whose sales power was split between two years, of which Janet has three. Same thing happens with singles sales, and that’s when you get weird statistics like The Emotions and Debbie Gibson being the Top acts of 1987, over Whitney and Fleetwood Mac

by Anonymousreply 98September 17, 2019 5:11 AM

[quote]Beyonce crushes her in sales-albums, singles, tours- and popularity.

Actually, Gaga leads her in all of those metrics.

And the idea that Beyonce is a better actress than Gaga is laughable. My shih tzu, Norma, will get an Oscar nomination for acting before Beyonce will.

by Anonymousreply 99September 17, 2019 5:21 AM

Mostly total shit, with a few exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 100September 17, 2019 5:43 AM

Beyonce is many things, and actress ain't one of them. "Halo" & "Listen" are two of the worst songs ever recorded. Ugly music.

by Anonymousreply 101September 17, 2019 9:25 AM

hee hee. i just took a huge shit.

by Anonymousreply 102September 17, 2019 9:35 AM

R102 is Beyoncé announcing her new album.

by Anonymousreply 103September 17, 2019 9:45 AM

I was pretty sure that Stevie Nicks' "Belladonna" and Natalie Cole's " Unforgettable" were the biggest sellers of their respective years.

Also Motown never released its sales figures and none of those big hits were ever certified gold or platinum even though they like sold at that level.

by Anonymousreply 104September 17, 2019 10:20 AM

Always thought that was cruel of Berry Gordy, All those great Motown artists never received Gold or Platinum records.

by Anonymousreply 105September 17, 2019 1:52 PM

R73 Fuck off you old queen

by Anonymousreply 106September 17, 2019 2:17 PM

R73 Fuck off you old queen

by Anonymousreply 107September 17, 2019 2:17 PM

GRAND DAME DIANA ROSS <3 Donna Summer, Long May She Reign <3 Debbie Harry <3 Madonna getting 4 well-deserved tops <3333 Whitney <3 Tracy <3 Vintage Mariah <3 Alanis <3 Pink <3 Kelly <3 Adele <3

90s forever

Beyonce belongs in a garbage pile.

by Anonymousreply 108September 17, 2019 4:54 PM

I HATE P!nk. She’s a stupid anti Bernie corporate mom rock whore.

by Anonymousreply 109September 17, 2019 5:37 PM

Pink is a label creation to be the Anti-Britney. Literally.

by Anonymousreply 110September 17, 2019 6:36 PM

Yes. Pink can sing. And formulate a thought. And exercise free will. She IS the anti- britney.

by Anonymousreply 111September 17, 2019 6:47 PM

[quote] Yes, but remember this collection doesn’t take into account mega-hit albums whose sales power was split between two years, of which Janet has three.

Wrong. There are several albums on this list that were released in one year but the larger number of sales were in the next year.

Physical by ONJ

She's So Unusual by Cyndi Lauper

The Bodyguard Soundtrack by Whitney Houston

Believe by Cher, etc. etc. etc.

The person who compiled this list went by release date and totaled the full sales.

Sorry, Janet loses again.

by Anonymousreply 112September 17, 2019 7:10 PM

[quote]Yes, but remember this collection doesn’t take into account mega-hit albums whose sales power was split between two years

That's what happened with Madame X.

by Anonymousreply 113September 17, 2019 8:39 PM

[quote]Wrong. There are several albums on this list that were released in one year but the larger number of sales were in the next year.

Doesn’t make what I said false or “wrong.” Your analytical thinking is a little warped. All you have to do is look at the list of top selling female albums of all time (Shania Twain tops it! Unbelievable!) that the same guy posts on YouTube (so it’s easily accessed via the rabbit hole) to see whose albums are what.

I’m not Janbot, don’t even consider her a good singer, but Janet, Control and Rhythm Nation are all featured, along with the millions they sold. So are Ray of Light, Immaculate Collection, Erotica, and True Blue, in case you thought I was anti-Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 114September 18, 2019 2:01 AM

Cher is the only person to have a #1 hit in each of 4 successive decades. Perhaps more since then, I haven’t been paying attention. 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.

by Anonymousreply 115September 18, 2019 4:29 AM

[quote]Perhaps more since then, I haven’t been paying attention.

Snap out of it!

by Anonymousreply 116September 18, 2019 4:40 AM

R115 Reba beats that, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s & 10s

by Anonymousreply 117September 18, 2019 4:58 AM

Adele's '25' sold 5 million copies U.S. in three weeks. It ended up selling the most copies of any album since 2004. 11 times platinum. She had similar sales success all over the world. This one album accounted for 3% of all music sales in 2015. Adele's resonant voice and orchestral sound is impossible to discount. Why would people want to? Hello. No female since Whitney Houston in 1987 had such a singular success.

25 was the best selling album of 2015 AND 2016. Lemonade by Beyonce was a close second in 2016. A fantastic work of art. Beyonce's genius visual album. It was the number one acclaimed album by any woman in many years. Every Beyonce solo album has debuted at #1.

Cher's accomplishment is fun fact but nothing special. She hasn't had a number one hit in 20 years and her voice is not album friendly. She's a super trouper at autotune, lip synching and bad ABBA covers. No one would expect her on this list....she's successful for her longevity.

I'll never love Katy Perry, but I appreciate all the other women on this list. It's not about a hit single, but the accomplishment of album sales. A less accidental occurrence.

by Anonymousreply 118September 18, 2019 7:58 AM

Barbra did quite well with several number one albums in the '60s and '70s.

by Anonymousreply 119September 18, 2019 8:13 AM

Glad to see Cher made the list in 1998 with "Believe."

by Anonymousreply 120September 18, 2019 8:13 AM

[quote]Cher is the only person to have a #1 hit in each of 4 successive decades. Perhaps more since then, I haven’t been paying attention. 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Singles? 45's? That's nice, Dear.

Barbra Streisand made music history on Sept 24, 2014 by becoming the only performer to clinch a No.1 album in each of the past six decades

Streisand also became the only female artist to grab the No.1 spot on the Billboard album chart on 11 different occasions.

Streisand’s first No.1 album came over 50 years ago when People hit No.1 on the chart dated Oct 31, 1964. Her other No.1 albums include The Way We Were (1974), A Star Is Born (1976), Barbra Streisand’s Greatest Hits, Volume 2 (1978), Guilty (1980), The Broadway Album (1985), Back To Broadway (1993), Higher Ground (1997) and Love Is The Answer (2009) Partners (2014) Encore (2016)

by Anonymousreply 121September 18, 2019 9:44 AM

Are these worldwide sales or just US Billboard because a lot of this stuff is disputable.

by Anonymousreply 122September 18, 2019 3:32 PM

Everything's disputable, even your post.

by Anonymousreply 123September 18, 2019 5:03 PM

The Best-Selling of all time RIAA list:

1. Barbra Streisand, 68.5 million

2. Madonna, 64.5 million

3. Mariah Carey, 64 million

4. Whitney Houston, 57 million

5. Celine Dion, 50 million

6. Shania Twain, 48 million

7. Reba McEntire, 41 million

8. Britney Spears, 34 million

9. Linda Ronstadt, 30 million

10. Adele, 27 million

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124September 18, 2019 7:51 PM

It's a fun video, but yes I'm wondering how it works. I'm assuming it's worldwide sales to date (not just albums sold in each given year), and with albums listed for the year they were released rather than when they achieved most sales.

This would allow for Patsy Cline and "Dusty in Memphis" which have likely racked up more sales long-term than they did on their release... and explain "She's so Unusual" as the 1983 winner when no one knew who Cyndi Lauper was until 1984, and Dionne Warwick being #1 for 1982 - "Heartbreaker" was a US hit but with the Bee Gees connection might have been a very big seller worldwide?

by Anonymousreply 125September 18, 2019 7:58 PM

Madonna, Whitney, Mariah, Celine, Rihanna and Taylor Swift have all outsold Barbra Streisand. The RIAA is not a good metric as it only applies to U.S. sales numbers. Celine sold more music than anyone -male, female of group in the decade of the 1990s. She's an international star who also has the top two French language albums in history. Madonna has sold more than double what Streisand has. She is the only female up there with the Beatles and Elvis for all time sales.

by Anonymousreply 126September 18, 2019 8:35 PM

Is that list at r124 just US sales? Because Britney Spears “Baby One More Time” sold 25 million copies worldwide alone, so no way she’s only sold 34 million.

by Anonymousreply 127September 18, 2019 9:12 PM

R127 RIAA is certified US Sales, if we break it down to Florida only Incest Survivor Spears is No. 1.

by Anonymousreply 128September 18, 2019 9:26 PM

Yes R127. RIAA stands for the Recording Industry Association of America, and only reflects U.S. sales. That's why Streisand places so high on that list. She's been recording for 60 years but is not an international star. She is far from the biggest selling female artist of all time.

by Anonymousreply 129September 18, 2019 9:26 PM

Cher has had a Number One single for six consecutive decades: 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s.

And yes, Barbra Streisand made music history on Sept 24, 2014 by becoming the only performer to clinch a No.1 album in each of the past six decades.

by Anonymousreply 130September 18, 2019 9:27 PM

Can we please ban the Streisand is not know out of the US troll already?

by Anonymousreply 131September 18, 2019 9:45 PM

The truth is not a troll. Take your Barbra worship somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 132September 18, 2019 9:50 PM

R130 Cher hasn't had a no 1 since Believe, are you counting dance charts?

by Anonymousreply 133September 18, 2019 9:54 PM

A diva fight thread

by Anonymousreply 134September 18, 2019 10:03 PM

I honestly do not believe Mariah sold more than Celine or Whitney. Their sells were always better than mariahs In the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 135September 18, 2019 10:05 PM

R135 false. Mariah owned the charts in the 90s

by Anonymousreply 136September 19, 2019 12:10 AM

Cher's Latest Career Milestone: A Hit in Every Decade

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137September 19, 2019 12:20 AM

OP, Ariana Grande is still the best-selling artist(either male or female) of 2019 by a wide margin:

Ariana Grande has now sold 50 MILLION units globally in just 2019 across all formats, making her the best-selling artist of the year by far.

She has also been the best-selling female artist for two consecutive years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138September 19, 2019 2:37 AM

I'd completely forgotten how popular Norah Jones was back in 2002. The trend for easy listening artists in their teens and early twenties - Jamie Cullum, Katie Melua, Joss Stone - seems so strange in retrospect.

by Anonymousreply 139September 19, 2019 3:00 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 140September 30, 2019 6:50 PM

Britney ❤️❤️❤️

by Anonymousreply 141October 29, 2019 11:27 PM

141 peuple watched this 7 minute video?

by Anonymousreply 142October 29, 2019 11:33 PM

[quote]I found most interesting the outliers that only had one big year/album and then adios: Patsy Cline,

Considering that she died less than two years after having the best selling album, it isn't surprising that she never had a chance at another. But, her memory can be consoled by the fact that her Greatest Hits album holds the record for staying on the charts longer than any album by a female in the history of the charts, over 720 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 143October 30, 2019 12:17 AM

[quote] 3. what the fuck does Patty Cline have on her hair - it's like she's an alien.

R87 In 1961, when she had the best selling album, she was in a horrendous car wreak that threw her directly into the windshield. She wore heavy makeup, wigs, and headbands, for the remainder of her life to hide the scars on her forehead that remained even after reconstructive surgery. The wreak also caused her to have chronic pain and headaches.

by Anonymousreply 144October 30, 2019 12:31 AM

Baby One More Time is the best on the list

by Anonymousreply 145December 22, 2019 9:21 PM

I’m 37 and remember everything after 1983 from growing up. Things really changed after Britney.

by Anonymousreply 146December 22, 2019 10:29 PM

I love Dusty Springfield, and she had a pretty amazing run from 1964-70, but this list saying Dusty In Memphis was the best selling female album of 1969 seems wrong to me.

Mostly because the narrative about "Memphis" that's always been out there is that it was a total flop *at the time* and has become a beloved classic over the years.

by Anonymousreply 147December 22, 2019 10:39 PM

I had the pleasure of seeing Ronnie Spector last week. It was spectacular. What struck me was how much of her act was ‘borrowed’ by Amy Winehouse. She even gave her a name check.

They don’t make ‘em like they used to. x

by Anonymousreply 148December 22, 2019 10:44 PM

I think R40 is in the right direction except for the 12 months times span.

by Anonymousreply 149December 23, 2019 9:27 AM

[quote]I had the pleasure of seeing Ronnie Spector last week. It was spectacular. What struck me was how much of her act was ‘borrowed’ by Amy Winehouse. She even gave her a name check.

Winehouse has admitted that Spector was one of her idols. I mean...Stevie Wonder could see that.

by Anonymousreply 150December 23, 2019 9:30 AM

I'm quite new to Ronnie Spector, R150. Never seen her live before or watched footage of her perform. So stick that up your bitchy little chuffer. x

by Anonymousreply 151December 23, 2019 10:46 AM

I love Amy Winehouse. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 152December 23, 2019 7:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!