Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Satanic Panic

Claims proliferated during the 1980s of backward masking of Satanic messages in rock music, Dungeons and Dragons and heavy metal music as occult recruiting tools, disappearing pets and poisoned candy at Halloween as part of a larger conspiracy, and underground movements of Satanists engaged in human sacrifice. How did people get sucked into this? Was it backlash against the loose morals of the 60s and 70s? I read Michelle Remembers and even as a kid I knew it was bullshit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 14, 2019 4:07 AM

New Ben & Jerry's flavor?

by Anonymousreply 1September 12, 2019 7:11 PM

Because people are fucking crazy, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2September 12, 2019 7:12 PM

They're the same type of morons who now believe stuff like Pizzagate and QAnon.

by Anonymousreply 3September 12, 2019 7:12 PM

Ohhh I loved satanic panic in the 80’s. I was just a kid but I remember always being warned not to go near the woods by my house (really just a tiny wooded area bordered by houses and roads on three sides) because “some adults” had heard there were “devil worshipers” in the woods. It’s so quaint to think about how life was before the internet.

by Anonymousreply 4September 12, 2019 7:14 PM

My aunt claimed she saw Satanists standing over a bonfire in the woods. Well not quite the woods it was a scrubby patch of land near Main Street and about a block from McDonalds.

by Anonymousreply 5September 12, 2019 7:20 PM

Probably just teenagers who listen to heavy metal R5

by Anonymousreply 6September 12, 2019 7:21 PM

And worship SATAN r5!

by Anonymousreply 7September 12, 2019 7:22 PM

Satan is good! Satan is our pal!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 12, 2019 7:28 PM

It was all about spreading fear and mistrust. Like with "beware, there might be communists waiting to destroy our great, American lives!" fear mongering during the Cold War times.

by Anonymousreply 9September 12, 2019 7:31 PM

I'm from Victoria, Michelle and her psych Pazder are regarded as pathetic frauds and always were. I actually had a GP with offices in the same building as Pazder's as a kid. I don't know if it's much of a thing anymore, but in the 80s and 90s Victoria was supposedly a hotbed of occult activity, because apparently (according to "witches" or whatever) it's built on top of one of three or four "hellmouths". It's all a load of bullshit meant to entice stupid angsty young people with vivid imaginations. The satanic rape gang shit was all just an excuse for histrionic young women to get attention.

by Anonymousreply 10September 12, 2019 7:34 PM

How do you hide the truth? You spread so much, and all sort of, misinformation about the topic that the truth about said topic just gets dismissed, ignored, or overlooked.

by Anonymousreply 11September 12, 2019 7:39 PM

Michelle's pussy stinks!

by Anonymousreply 12September 12, 2019 7:43 PM

Laurel Rose Willson AKA Lauren Stratford was the queen of the " Satanic Panic" crowd in the the 1980's-90's, When she was proved to be a complete fraud, Laurel re-invented herself as a Holocaust survivor, despite the fact she had never lived outside of the United States.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 12, 2019 7:51 PM

The Redundant Thread Thief strikes again!

Now he's stealing from the discussion in the Nocturnal RItual Fantasy thread a subject his betters ALREADY COVERED and DIDN'T NEED TO MULTIPLY across copycat threads.

OP is such a fucking parasite vacuum, I wish somebody would burn him at the stake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 12, 2019 8:43 PM

Joke from that era:

What do you get if you play country music backward?

You get back your dog, your truck and your girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 15September 13, 2019 2:55 AM

Regan remembers too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2019 3:01 AM

Waxing nostalgic here: Tipper Gore, the Congressional hearings, SNL’s Church Lady....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 13, 2019 3:40 AM

Is Michelle still living?

by Anonymousreply 18September 13, 2019 3:51 AM

I remember there were some nutcases in long Island who while on acid killed their buddy and claimed it was a satanic murder.

There was also the murder by Mexican occultists or satanists of some Texan on a holiday, and the fall river Massachusetts satanic murders.

I think these murders and the fake child care abuse case, and the fake claims in the book OP posted all helped fuel each other.

by Anonymousreply 19November 13, 2019 9:30 AM

A couple of things, actually three come to mind immediately. 1) December 1968 The Rolling Stones new record, "Beggar's Banquet", kicks off with, "Sympathy for the Devil." Whilst a rather benign little lyric about things sometimes being the opposite of what they seem, the song's title finished off what many believed to be the most violent and dark year of the decade. 2) August 1969, the Tate/La Bianca slaughter. And 3) Altamont. In case that name doesn't conjure up anything other than a character in Jules Verne's novel, "Fire and Ice," on 6th December 1969, a free day long festival of rock music was held near Livermore, California. The exact location was the Altamont Speedway, owned by Dick Carter. The festival's headliners were The Rolling Stones. Whilst the Stones played, "Under My Thumb," 18 year old Meredith Hunter removed a pistol from his lime green suit and pointed it at the stage. Point blank. The Hells Angels security killed him within seconds.

by Anonymousreply 20November 13, 2019 10:17 AM

Here are three things that are actually four things.

George Orwell wrote Animal Farm about animals taking over the farm. Their leader is a pig. It was an allegory about the rise of communism.

Mama Cass is murdered by a ham sandwich. The Mamas and Papas espoused a hippy commune lifestyle.

Charleton Heston, a ham actor, espouses gun violence.

In 2016, former Soviet apparatchik and current despot of Russia manipulates the U.S. election so that a fat pig is leader of the so-called "free world."

by Anonymousreply 21November 13, 2019 11:06 AM

Michelle types fat.

by Anonymousreply 22November 13, 2019 11:07 AM

It was a HAMISH sarnie, [R21]. Cass Elliott had to be taken out when it was revealed she had no Scottish DNA. Any inbred oik worth their haggis knows that!

by Anonymousreply 23November 13, 2019 11:26 AM

Old joke: What do you get when you play country music backwards?

You get back your girl, your job and your dog.

by Anonymousreply 24November 13, 2019 12:50 PM

"Michelle Remembers" is a load of nonsense yet people bought it, hook, line and sinker.

Weren't there any detractors at the time?

by Anonymousreply 25November 13, 2019 12:57 PM

Rona Jaffe contributed to the "Dungeons & Dragons" panic with her novel, "Mazes and Monsters."

by Anonymousreply 26November 13, 2019 12:57 PM

SATIN LIVES!

Some years ago in Northport -- not far from the birthplace of Pynchon, who is, far more than the frequently invoked F. Scott Fitzgerald, the true literary avatar of the Long Island soul -- two allegedly angel-dusting, devil-worshiping teen-agers were branded as "ritual cult murderers" of another teen-ager in the Aztakea woods.

It was one of the first such episodes in what would become an overhyped national trendlet, and perhaps the first signal that something sinister was stirring out there behind the split-level shutters of Long Island's suburbs. But this particular story about the unprintable photo, one I heard from a former Newsday editor who swears it's true, isn't about the killing itself; rather about something that happened the night after the death became public.

It seems the paper had dispatched a photographer to get a nighttime shot of the supposedly spooky, satanist ritual killing ground out there in the woods, something that would capture the diabolical horror of it all. But when certain pictures came out of the darkroom, they just weren't . . . suitable. Unusable. Not because they were too terrifying (at least not terrifying in a Luciferian way). But because many photographs of the alleged cult coven's killing circle prominently featured a large boulder, across the face of which was scrawled the following somewhat-less-than-terrifying cult slogan:

SATIN LIVES!

A check with the Newsday photo library disclosed that contact sheets of all unpublished photos had been discarded. Nonetheless, 10 years later, it can be said with confidence: Satin still lives on Long Island. No, Satin flourishes. Satin rules. Satin lives in Joey Buttafuoco's auto body shop, Satin lives in Sol Wachtler's Manhasset town house, Satin lives in the recurrent proof that even when we try our hardest to be sensationally bad, we often wind up just a little bit off -- as much embarrassing as menacing.

I say "we" because, while I was born in Manhattan and have lived most of the latter half of my life here, I grew up on Long Island, and I'm resigned to the fact that in some essential, irrevocable way I'll always be a Long Islander. Resigned to the fact that, whenever I tell someone my hometown was Bay Shore, I feel compelled to add, pre-emptively, "Yes, that's right, that's the home of Katie Beers's dungeon." Resigned to the fact that every mush-mouthed hayseed in America feels he has the right to say, condescendingly, "Oh, you're from Long Island, you mean Lawn Guyland" -- as if everyone there spoke that way and he was establishing a Henry Higgins-like sophistication by comparison.

Resigned to the fact that while people from New Jersey, the second most maligned and unfashionable place to come from in America, at least have native son Bruce Springsteen to transmute their state's toxic wastelands into a kind of doomed romantic grandeur, those of us from Long Island have . . . Debbie Gibson and Billy Joel.

Resigned to the fact that while the image of Long Island was once merely unfashionable, uncool, the epitome of Plastic Suburbia, a Levittown of the Mind lampooned by 60's folkies for its cookie-cutter "Little boxes made of ticky tacky," suddenly in the past few years the Guyland (as we expatriates like to call it) has turned into a veritable tabloid pandemonium, no longer just tacky, but spectacularly mortifying, ludicrously, demonically possessed -- possessed by Satin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 13, 2019 1:08 PM

Satanic Panic was the church projecting and distracting so they could diddle kids themselves.

by Anonymousreply 28November 13, 2019 1:13 PM

[R27] I was raised in Hicksville 1962 - 1972. Born in Brooklyn in 1959. I enjoy telling some persons out here on the OTHER coast, when they start getting up my nose with their breathless descriptions of communing with whales on Lopez Island. When I've had so much that I'm about to code, I let loose, all sotto voce: "There's white folks. There's black folks. There's Royal folks. Then there's them what was born in New York City. We can't help that we were born in the hippest place in the world, so why don't you just deal with it."

I'm sorry people look down their noses at you because Long Island is your heritage. They should be so lucky. Please don't let it bother you.

by Anonymousreply 29November 13, 2019 2:15 PM

It actually was fashionable for young losers to get into the occult and/or Satanism, for a while there in the 70s and 80s. It was a way for kids who had zero self-esteem to feel cool and powerful, even if nobody else on Earth felt they were cool or powerful. Heavy metal bands bought into the trend and played it up for publicity, and got it into the news, and probably some stupid shit happened because everyone involved was an idiot and probably on drugs.

As for organized cults and ritual murders... well, there are people out there who NEED something to be afraid of.

by Anonymousreply 30November 13, 2019 2:35 PM

[quote]There was also the murder by Mexican occultists or satanists of some Texan on a holiday, and the fall river Massachusetts satanic murders.

Mark Kilroy, a UT student killed by a cult led by former model Adolpho Constanzo, who incidentally was gay. They weren’t Satanists, but practiced a bastardized form of Palo Mayombe. The Casefile podcast covered this one a few weeks back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 13, 2019 2:38 PM

Long Island is never cool.

by Anonymousreply 32November 13, 2019 2:48 PM

Hear hear R11. I agree that the Satanic Panic as represented in the OP was bullshit but when you go down the rabbit hole of Michael Aquino, Presidio, Franklin Cover Up, Ted Gunderson (and I mean research it properly), well I can’t help but think SRA cover ups certainly exist.

by Anonymousreply 33December 11, 2019 7:21 PM

I’m with R33. There are some real fucked up things that have gone on regarding the Franklin Coverup,Aquino, etc. The bullshit with the McMartin preschool and other satanic panic stories were mere distractions that everyone thinks of instead of the real shit that went down. Pretty brilliant of the powers that be.

by Anonymousreply 34December 13, 2019 2:12 AM

My favorite satanic panic story was my mom telling me about how she called the Procter & Gamble hotline to ask why they had that symbol on the Pringles can and they hung up on her. She said the story was going around that the symbol was evil, so she and a friend called to ask. I always thought that was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 35December 13, 2019 2:23 AM

If you play "I Am The Walrus" backwards, you can hear The Beatles saying, "KEEP AWAY - THE SOW IS MINE!"

by Anonymousreply 36December 13, 2019 3:57 AM

In high school I went on a Youth for Christ retreat in Gatlinburg, TN, where they had a seminar on "backward masking" starring the usual suspects (The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, etc.). I remember thinking what a downer it was and wishing I was at the ski resort instead.

by Anonymousreply 37December 13, 2019 4:05 AM

I remember Hotel California, Hell is for Children, The Wall and Stairway to Heaven were all Satanic songs.

Proctor and Gamble and Judas Priest album covers contained Satanic symbols.

Archie and Sabrina comics contained demonic possession and demonic toys.

And the movies - too many to name!

by Anonymousreply 38December 13, 2019 4:05 AM

try being a foster kid who loved heavy metal in a small town in an evangelical foster home. they asked my social worker if they could give me an exorcism.

I got kicked out of there because the father found a big bag of weed in my closet. I would NEVER have drugs around little kids- they had 2. I kept my stash in the roof of the garage.

spoiler alert: pious foster mom slept with 2 high school guys when she was study hall monitor and when we went to visit her fucked up family would pawn me off on her druggie pervert step father. guessing it was mom's pot that got me kicked out and put in a group home

by Anonymousreply 39December 13, 2019 4:10 AM

R39, And we can't forget that Judas Priest allegedly caused two teens to attempt suicide because of a very faint voice saying the phrase "do it" at various points during the song Better By You, Better Than Me. Only one succeeded, but the other was horribly disfigured and still died anyway 3 years later. And of course, the parents took it to court.

by Anonymousreply 40December 13, 2019 4:17 AM

god i love(d) Priest. LOVE. honestly, I really do and did love metal. but, some of the shit I did was just to scare them because they were so stupid about stuff and trying to shove god down my throat. so, good thing I did actually like the music!

by Anonymousreply 41December 13, 2019 4:23 AM

WHERE THERE'S SMOKE THERE'S FIRE. ILL SAY NO MORE.

by Anonymousreply 42December 13, 2019 4:39 AM

"...and Stairway to Heaven were all Satanic songs. "

Well, apparently co-writer of "StH" Jimmy Page was a genuine occultist or Satanist, so it's possible there is some of that idiocy in Led Zepplin music if anyone cares to look for it. Page was a creepy guy in his heyday, with his heroin and little girls and living in Alistair Crowley's old house.

by Anonymousreply 43December 13, 2019 5:56 AM

Ministry is another heathen band that I like. But I've noticed that there is a large rise in fans of Anton LeVey, atleast once every time I go on Facebook I see some post ir another with a bunch of 'hail satan! comments. Whenever I see them I hear the voices of the geriatric coven. I blame Ryan Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 44December 14, 2019 2:27 AM

My high school band director was a hardcore evangelical nut job. Easily 500 lbs, shaped like a human butterball turkey. He had a marble composition notebook he kept in his desk filled satanic/filthy/offensive lyrics from pop music he transcribed by hand and cobbled together over the years. It was a bizarre mix of genres too. I’ll never forget seeing Alisha “All Night Passion” (make me feel that passion/down on my knees) next to Ozzy Osborne next to Samantha Fox. The funny thing is that he stopped keeping track sometime in the mid 80’s, but I was his student in the late 90’s, so the songs he would cite nobody even knew. I’m pretty sure I was the only 15 year old in 1996 who knew Samantha Fox “Touch Me” (like a tramp in the night I was begging for you/to treat my body like you wanted to). Amazing how quaint those lyrics are now. Anyways, he used to tell us how secular music was satanic and how he used to play in a rock band in the 60’s until he found Jesus and Jesus told him he had to give up rock music (insane, I know...). He spent an entire day reciting the lyrics line by line to “Hotel California” and how it was really about the church of Satan.

by Anonymousreply 45December 14, 2019 3:12 AM

The McMartin preschool trial was the height of this, and the biggest bullshit ever. From Wikipedia:

[quote]Members of the McMartin family, who operated a preschool in Manhattan Beach, California, were charged with numerous acts of sexual abuse of children in their care. Accusations were made in 1983. Arrests and the pretrial investigation ran from 1984 to 1987, and the trial ran from 1987 to 1990. After six years of criminal trials, no convictions were obtained, and all charges were dropped in 1990. When the trial ended in 1990, it had been the longest and most expensive criminal trial in American history. The case was part of day-care sex-abuse hysteria, a moral panic over alleged Satanic ritual abuse in the 1980s and early 1990s.

It cost taxpayers $15 million — the most expensive criminal trial at the time. For nothing.

The HBO movie on the matter, Indictment, was excellent. And it starred DL favorite Sada Thompson as the preschool matriarch.

See 1:06:21 below for Miss Sada's tour de force scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 14, 2019 3:12 AM

[quote]How did people get sucked into this? Was it backlash against the loose morals of the 60s and 70s?

Jerry Falwell and his evangelical friends formed the Moral Majority in the late '70s to mobilize conservative Christians as a political force, and they were instrumental in getting Reagan elected. In order to get the people into action, they scared them by portaying an America in decay and in the influence of evil forces like drugs, commies, liberals, homosexuals, and Satanists. Extreme right televangelists, who were once relegated to local cable access, UHF, and AM radio were now getting syndicated throughout the nation where they spread their hysteria to the masses.

by Anonymousreply 47December 14, 2019 3:58 AM

People who claimed to have been forced into Satanic cults were all over talk shows in the 80s. It's incredible, but people believed their shit. Women would claim they were "breeders", that is, they were forced to give birth to babies that the cults would sacrifice to their infernal Gods. These nuts claimed that Satanists were EVERYWHERE; they were teachers, ministers, cops, lawyers, doctors. How in the HELL could this stuff be taken seriously. Remember Geraldo RIvera's special called "Devil Worship: Exposing Satan's Underground?" He later apologized for that stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 48December 14, 2019 4:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!