Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Old Gay White Author to get only award he hasn't already been given

I love Ed's work, but really.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2019 2:01 PM

More!!

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2019 8:52 PM

I read only one of his books - The Beautiful Room Is Empty - and I was underwhelmed.

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2019 8:57 PM

I've read several, but I can't recall much. They all blur together, except his Genet bio.

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2019 9:08 PM

Doesn't have a Pulitzer. Or a competitive National Book Award.

I think he deserves this. A lot of his books are redundant ("And then I fucked . . . "), but he has contributed a handful of classics.

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2019 9:10 PM

I attended his Genet class at Brown .Genet is great, the bio is great, Edmund is a hoot and such a pleasant incorrigible social climber and name dropper. Lusty too. The most gorgeous international set were in Edmund's classes. I say throw all the awards at him. He's very generous, funny, and never harmed anyone far as I know.

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2019 9:13 PM

OP, what does the fact that he's white have to do with anything?

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2019 9:46 PM

I was not ready to read his first two autobiographical when I first came across them, and they put me off for years. Later I read pretty much everything except the Genet biography (which in a way is odd as I have read a couple of Genet's novels). I liked best Fanny:a fiction and Our Young Man. His depiction of an old rattle in the first and description of a whole lot of gay culture and thinking in the second really impressed me. And both were fun. As the poster above noted I could detect no malice in either and indeed a type of sweetness. You could give awards for less deserving attributes.

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2019 9:55 PM

If nothing else, he is an invaluable historian of gay mores and history in the latter half of the 20th century. His STATES OF DESIRE is a classic.

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2019 2:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!