Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Renee Zellweger, "Judy" get STANDING O at film festival

She's gonna get the Oscar. baby!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 19, 2019 7:28 PM

It’s Renee’s year.

by Anonymousreply 1September 11, 2019 1:07 PM

The film itself is being called solid but a bit paint by numbers, but her performance is getting raves.

I suspect the parallels will be to the Iron Lady....where regardless of content/quality of the overall piece, the individual performance, especially when imitating someone who was a living person, is rewarded.

by Anonymousreply 2September 11, 2019 1:13 PM

She already has an Oscar

by Anonymousreply 3September 11, 2019 1:16 PM

Don't count me out just yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 11, 2019 1:21 PM

R3 = G

by Anonymousreply 5September 11, 2019 1:21 PM

R3 Meryl already had two when she won for The Iron Lady.

by Anonymousreply 6September 11, 2019 1:21 PM

I am so happy her overdone plastic surgery is finally settling into her face....she looks pretty good, finally, for a woman of 50.

Poor Marie Osmond on the other hand, have you seen The Talk lately?

by Anonymousreply 7September 11, 2019 1:22 PM

White guilt will give the award to that horrible racist playing Harriet Tubman

by Anonymousreply 8September 11, 2019 1:24 PM

Yes, of course this fabulous thespian deserves a 2nd Oscar, nay, an ERGOT. I mean, who else has built a career with 2 facial expressions, besides her contemporary Michelle Williams, who hasn't a single Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 9September 11, 2019 1:25 PM

*EGOT. I was just too excited about LA ZELLWEGER.

by Anonymousreply 10September 11, 2019 1:26 PM

All M's films are like that, R2. She seems to read scripts entirely focussed on the part she will play, with no regard (or perhaps discernment) for the quality of the piece as a whole.

She'll be lucky if, by the end of her career, she's been in one film that's considered an enduring classic. And it might be The Devil Wears Prada.

by Anonymousreply 11September 11, 2019 1:27 PM

Oh, she's had a few other good pieces R11, but I agree with your general argument.

by Anonymousreply 12September 11, 2019 1:30 PM

I dunno r9 / r10, you may be onto something here:

Ergot: 1. a fungal disease of rye and other cereals in which black elongated fruiting bodies grow in the ears of the cereal. Eating contaminated food can result in ergotism. 2. a small horny protuberance on the back of each of a horse's fetlocks.

by Anonymousreply 13September 11, 2019 1:32 PM

I don't give two shits about Judy Garland but I really want to see this movie. Bonus if it's in a theater with a bunch of bitter, bitchy eldergueens. The good reviews in the face of all the hissing has been fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 14September 11, 2019 1:33 PM

We’ll see what her chances are like when the film opens and tanks next month. Her biggest challenge to a nomination will be keeping her film in theatres long enough. Plus, the critics’ circles aren’t going to get behind this, much. It’ll be crickets until the GG noms.

by Anonymousreply 15September 11, 2019 1:47 PM

r15, I don't think this film, or, rather, this performance will need critics awards to guarantee Renée the win. And I wouldn't be surprised if the movie performs really well at the box-office -- I imagine it will do extremely well with audiences over 30 years of age -- those who came of age during Renée's initial period of fame, those who grew up with The Wizard of Oz on TV every year in the 70s and 80s, and those few, like my Mom, who grew up with Judy Garland as a genuine movie star.

by Anonymousreply 16September 11, 2019 2:10 PM

[quote]All M's films are like that, [R2]. She seems to read scripts entirely focussed on the part she will play, with no regard (or perhaps discernment) for the quality of the piece as a whole.

To be fair, isn't "the quality of the piece as a whole" more the responsibility of the director and the producer? I don't believe M has ever claimed to be either.

by Anonymousreply 17September 11, 2019 4:01 PM

Nurse Betty turned me all those years ago. I really have always been smitten with her work - I think she's special and usually chooses interesting work. Plus, Roxie AND Beatrix Potter are huge faves of mine, and I am coming into this front-loaded on all of the Judy in London story I read about this past summer. Over The Rainbow choked me up the first time I heard her do it, it was that incredible. My expectations are now for something extraordinary.

by Anonymousreply 18September 11, 2019 5:04 PM

R11, I agree. Meryl is always good or great, but the films themselves tend to be mediocre. Death Becomes Her is a bonafide camp classic at least. That's one of the few films of hers I can watch over and over again. Everyone seems to be having such a good time in it.

by Anonymousreply 19September 11, 2019 7:36 PM

I have a good feeling about this movie. I've always loved Renee.

by Anonymousreply 20September 11, 2019 7:36 PM

You think Renee or Meryl are gonna get more Oscars next year? Fuck you, bitches, it's my turn!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 12, 2019 12:59 AM

I suspect Renee might have some competition from Catherine Deneuve next year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 12, 2019 1:04 AM

You bitches turned another thread into an M thread!

by Anonymousreply 23September 12, 2019 1:15 AM

If they positioned Dorothy as a superhero they might’ve pulled the Marvel crowd!

by Anonymousreply 24September 12, 2019 10:08 AM

Let me write some headlines for you:

“‘Judy’ Gets Highest Screen Avg of The Week, Playing On One Screen In New York!”

Three weeks later:

“‘Judy’ Fails In Platforming Bid”

Two Weeks Later:

“Much Like ‘The Wife,’ Academy Screenings For ‘Judy’ Film Now Relegated To Int’l Flights”

by Anonymousreply 25September 12, 2019 10:12 AM

If the studio is smart, they'll keep Judy in a very slow platform through the season, not going truly wide until after Christmas, after the Globe and SAG nominations have been announced.

by Anonymousreply 26September 12, 2019 2:35 PM

I guess it makes a change from those O's you get when reclining.

by Anonymousreply 27September 12, 2019 3:14 PM

One tick of hers that bothers me, and I noticed her doing it in the trailer, is her pursing her lips looking (as DListed says) like she's sucking a lemon. And her eyes get real squinty when she does it. It really threw me off when I saw her in the trailer playing Judy. I wish the director would have told her to stop.

by Anonymousreply 28September 12, 2019 3:21 PM

No way this film is an accurate depiction of Garland at this stage of her life- it may be a good film but Renee plays a version of Judy far from the reality. Way far.

by Anonymousreply 29September 12, 2019 3:59 PM

Most bio pics arent very accurate. No one really knows what went on behind the scenes. They just try to get the general broad strokes and major events right. Which this film appears to do.

by Anonymousreply 30September 12, 2019 4:09 PM

Doesn't she just have to miss a few performances, croak out a few songs, marry another (gay?) husband and then die ignominiously?

It doesn't seem too complicated or subtle so why do you think they messed it up?

by Anonymousreply 31September 12, 2019 5:11 PM

JLo acting like she's surprised and humbled about the Oscar buzz is the best acting job she's ever done (and it's still unbelievable). Like anyone doesn't realize she paid for all that buzz.

by Anonymousreply 32September 12, 2019 5:22 PM

I'm afraid this might end up being like The Wife - an excellent Oscar worthy performance stuck in a bland, Lifetime movie. It didn't turn out well for Glenn Close. Renee will easily get a nom, though.

by Anonymousreply 33September 12, 2019 5:27 PM

R32 Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 34September 13, 2019 1:49 AM

Wonder if her more recent plastic surgery was actually in preps to audition for and film eventually this biopic?

by Anonymousreply 35September 13, 2019 2:21 AM

“Doctor, make me look like late-stage Judy Garland!” said no woman to her plastic surgeon, ever.

by Anonymousreply 36September 14, 2019 2:02 AM

"Doctor, make me look 30 years older, with just a hint of liver failure."

by Anonymousreply 37September 14, 2019 12:50 PM

Lopez will be up for a supporting Oscar. And she might just win it, but I think her terrible demanding diva behavior still haunts her - because it still continues.

Renee is a big Harvey casualty and was such a personal mess for so many years. Plus she's really talented and unique and a good girl. She's going to win. Nobody remembers Garland's final days. They can make her a bit less of a mess. Nobody liked Close's performance. It wasn't as good as 6 minutes of Beatrice Straight. Last year was lousy and unglamorous at the Oscars. This year is going to be fiery.

by Anonymousreply 38September 14, 2019 1:06 PM

How come Rose McGown and the other #MeToo'ers haven't come for Renee yet? "She knew", and all of that?

by Anonymousreply 39September 14, 2019 1:20 PM

NO. This role should have gone to Toni Collette. Renee looks terrible in the previews.

by Anonymousreply 40September 14, 2019 1:36 PM

Toni Collette probably has a stronger singing voice than Renee. Neither are exactly box office champs, so it's not like picking one over the other would have made much of a difference. Collette was still robbed of a nom last year for Hereditary. That was one of the most ferocious performances I've seen in years. It probably scared the Academy too much to give her a nom.

by Anonymousreply 41September 14, 2019 6:09 PM

It seems likely that Renee would receive a Best Actress Oscar nomination. However, if Jennifer Lopez were also nominated, would she be nominated in the Best Actress category?

by Anonymousreply 42September 14, 2019 6:16 PM

That, r41, or the fact that Hereditary was a crap film.

by Anonymousreply 43September 14, 2019 11:08 PM

R42, Lopez is borderline co-lead with Constance Wu (who receives top billing), but most prognosticators have JLo in Supporting.

by Anonymousreply 44September 15, 2019 12:05 AM

[quote]I suspect the parallels will be to the Iron Lady.

The Iron Lady was a shit movie that whitewashed what a piece of garbage Thatcher really was. To add insult to injury

by Anonymousreply 45September 15, 2019 12:12 AM

To add insult to injury, Meryl peddled some nonsense about how she was a victim of sexism while promoting the film. And she was still trying to push that last year when she interviewed Glenda Jackson, who was having none of it.

by Anonymousreply 46September 15, 2019 12:14 AM

The Oscars might actually be interesting this year with Renee a favorite to win Best Actress, and JLo a favorite for Supporting.

by Anonymousreply 47September 15, 2019 12:31 AM

Except Renée isn’t the favourite to win.

by Anonymousreply 48September 15, 2019 12:43 AM

And neither is J.Lo

by Anonymousreply 49September 15, 2019 4:04 AM

Lots of love coming out today on Film Twitter after the screenings. Some say Renée gives one of the best biopic performances ever.

by Anonymousreply 50September 17, 2019 7:00 PM

What are they comparing it to? Rami?

by Anonymousreply 51September 17, 2019 7:18 PM

Will they get Liza to present? "And the Oshcar goesh to...you know, Mama never won an Oshcar but Papa did. Mama would have been sho proud of me when I won for Cabaret, which my friendsh Fred and Jack wrote eshpecially for me. I promished her I would never shing her shongsh, but she would undershtand.....ShoooommmmeWHEREEEEEEEEE ovahhhh the RAAAAAAAINbOWWWW. You know, Uncle Harold wrote that for Mama......"

by Anonymousreply 52September 17, 2019 7:31 PM

Toni Collette annoys the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 53September 17, 2019 7:41 PM

R11/R13 remember when The Onion spoofed Meryl ten years ago and argued that she didn't have a single classic film in her filmography? XD

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 17, 2019 8:14 PM

Just watched the cam version and now I'm a sobbing mess. 47! Are you fucking kidding me?! 😭

by Anonymousreply 55September 27, 2019 8:12 PM

Smart girls do not play roles that Judy Davis has played.

Cate Blanchett found that out with Hedda Gabler.

by Anonymousreply 56September 28, 2019 11:48 AM

Just wait fo the next JLo PR blitz trying to get people to forget that she's a rancid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 57September 28, 2019 11:55 AM

I don't know what the last two posts mean or have to do with this thread?

by Anonymousreply 58September 28, 2019 2:40 PM

I saw this today. Renee was fucking phenomenal. I have always liked her but she blew me away in this. It’s a very nuanced performance, not an impersonation although there are moments when Renee eerily resembles Judy.

It’s surprisingly intimate and heartfelt.

by Anonymousreply 59September 28, 2019 8:44 PM

The film is bombing at the box office. Only $16 million in 3 weeks...

by Anonymousreply 60October 18, 2019 5:32 AM

Ok, is it just me...? I found myself very embarrassed for Renee at the beginning of the interview she looked so stressed and was acting strange. She appeared VERY uncomfortable and void of direct eye contact Did she suffer a mental breakdown? Seriously, watching Renee was very cringeworthy.

by Anonymousreply 61October 18, 2019 5:39 AM

R61 I will add I’m so excited to still see this movie. The previews look fabulous. I believe Renee will deliver a great performance. I just am wondering about her in real life.

by Anonymousreply 62October 18, 2019 5:40 AM

r60, the producers are doing a slow roll-out of the film: it has only just expanded to over 1,000 screens, and that in only larger cities; they will probably plateau the film here for awhile, then when critics awards and SAG/GG noms are announced, will again expand. I can imagine it completing its run with appx $30, or more. It'll make a profit.

by Anonymousreply 63October 18, 2019 1:44 PM

She's got to win the Oscar for this. It's such a thin line to walk when you're playing a stage legend. The whole thing can go over the top so easily, but Rene Zellweger is almost eerie in the way she inhabits Judy in this movie. I went in prepared to be depressed but came out moved. The resemblance is astounding.. Especially the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 64October 18, 2019 8:30 PM

Thought the script was not very good. Renee, however, was really great.

by Anonymousreply 65October 18, 2019 9:10 PM

I can imagine it completing it's run with thirty dollars (in profits) as well R63.

by Anonymousreply 66October 19, 2019 7:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!