Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends...please review this Spanish Mission Style Estate on SF

Just a few million...Would you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 6, 2020 7:52 PM

Puts the “ha” in hacienda.

by Anonymousreply 1September 11, 2019 7:25 AM

Nice gardens, manageable size. But oh so bland inside. Furniture that looks like it came from some mass market chain, fuck all colour, bar the patterned tiles which are nice. It's not terrible..... just....meh. I'd buy something else with that sort of money

by Anonymousreply 2September 11, 2019 11:20 AM

Nice enough facade, but nothing special; and inside it aspires but fails to rise to Pottery Barn mediocrity. (And the interior architecture has been butchered in what appears to be several waves of renovation.)

by Anonymousreply 3September 11, 2019 11:36 AM

The staging furniture really is dull and common. Maybe that is why this bargain priced home is still for sale 3 months later.

by Anonymousreply 4September 11, 2019 1:06 PM

How much renovation could there have been, when the kitchen and bathrooms are still tiny and incredibly out of date?

by Anonymousreply 5September 11, 2019 1:15 PM

I like it a lot. I spied some baseboard heating, and I don’t like the carpeting/decor, but yeah, I’d move in.

by Anonymousreply 6September 11, 2019 1:24 PM

The view might make up for everything else. Staging is very much in keeping with the tastes of the tech bros who'd likely buy it.

by Anonymousreply 7September 11, 2019 1:26 PM

Y'all are complaining about the staging? We're off to a good start. They went for it with archways. It's so nice... I would need to see how the rooms work together. Wait, the top floor has like 3 rooms that all share 1 bathroom? This is kind a tech bro mansion. In LA it'd be a YouTube palace.

by Anonymousreply 8September 11, 2019 1:37 PM

I thought staging was supposed to be somewhat bland? You want people to be able to envision their own furniture and their own choices in the house, something that's more difficult if you go bold with the staging.

by Anonymousreply 9September 11, 2019 1:49 PM

No pool? The kitchen is a small and dark galley, and the teal cabinets there and at the bar are awful.

by Anonymousreply 10September 11, 2019 1:59 PM

If I had close to $6 million to spend I'd be buying my dream home in Sea Cliff not Lone Mountain.

Sea Cliff's views are amazing.

by Anonymousreply 11September 11, 2019 3:28 PM

I think it's beautiful and it's in a great part of the city. I'm surprised it's only 5 million, tbh.

by Anonymousreply 12September 11, 2019 3:59 PM

I loathe the decor, yet love the house. Good bones. Perhaps I’m partial to it because Spanish villas are quite common in the area my mother moved to when my parents divorced. These houses are all over residential communities in California. One former classmate & lifelong friend lived in a place much like this. His dad bought it in the early 70s for $60K - imagine that! Fast forward 40 years or so, his mom, a retired schoolteacher & widow, sold it for 4.7M.

As far as living in it, rather than picking it up as an investment property, perhaps nope, because if I could afford to pick it up as an investment, then I’d probably also have the ability to afford a more modern, uncluttered place. I prefer simple, clean lines, & architecture that makes living in a home not only functional & utilitarian, but an experience that expresses & seeks a symmetry with one’s relationship to nature, without exploiting the host that shares that environment in which it can be done. It’s hard to explain, but basically, if I could live in a glass house, in the middle of a forest, I would.

by Anonymousreply 13September 11, 2019 4:00 PM

People who describe a house as having "good bones" should be condemned to watching an eternity of Flip or Flop episodes.

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2019 3:27 PM

That's a good price for the Presidio area. I'd take it if I had the money. I just needs better furniture and less white overall.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2019 4:05 PM

No. Spanish Mission reminds me of Latin America, which reminds me of rainforest destruction (yes, I know Brazil speak Portuguese), animal abuse, poverty, and corruption.

It's like having an Indonesian-styled home.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2019 4:05 PM

The exterior is kitschy but charming.

To make the interior work, I'd eliminate some of those arches and archways...they're really over powering. I'd replace the terra-cotta floors and painted tile. The kitchen would have to go.

[quote]inside it aspires but fails to rise to Pottery Barn mediocrity.

I can't understand the stupidity of some of these comments. These houses are staged with cheap stuff or stuff that's rotated around homes that are for sale.

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2019 4:20 PM

[quote]No. Spanish Mission reminds me of Latin America, which reminds me of rainforest destruction (yes, I know Brazil speak Portuguese), animal abuse, poverty, and corruption.

What does Georgian architecture remind you of? How about Dutch Colonial ?

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2019 4:26 PM

I like the overall concept of a Spanish hacienda living space, but I just can't with the indoor floor tiles. They look tacky, and cheap, as shit. The staging is atrocious and doesn't compliment the Spanish hacienda theme at all. But I do like the wooden floors upstairs.

However, even though I am a Sagittarius and turquoise is my birth stone, I find these turquoise counter tops ... problematic.

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2019 4:27 PM

[quote] What does Georgian architecture remind you of? How about Dutch Colonial ?

Georgian: America (yes, I call it America; Federal style, derived from Georgian), Australia (popular after George himself), Canada, Ireland (the first "plantation"), maybe New Zealand - patriarchal domination, conquest by legalism, professional colonial governance, resource exploitation

Dutch colonial: Cape Dutch, which in turn means Cape Town for me. Afrikaners, apartheid, etc.

I'm a fan of contemporary architecture. That's about it.

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2019 4:40 PM

R20 Contemporary architecture represents white male hierarchy.

You'd be better off living in a tent.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2019 4:52 PM

R21, did I say I have a problem with white male hierarchy?

Reading comprehension.

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2019 4:56 PM

LOL. R20, It sounds like you do.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2019 4:59 PM

r10 It's hardly ever warm enough in SF to use a pool.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2019 9:33 PM

It's on a bedrock hill. I'd take that over any Seacliff property, which will collapse off a cliff soon enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2019 9:54 PM

meh.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2019 10:01 PM

"did I say I have a problem with white male hierarchy?

Reading comprehension."

Well, my reading comprehension tells me you're a bullshitter and a troll.

Which I kind of figured out from your first post which is why I just rolled my eyes at your first post. But then you doubled and tripled down on your bullshit.

And here we are.

by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2019 2:05 AM

I don't think the location is considered Presidio. It's near USF. Almost Inner Richmond. Not sure what the neighborhood would be called.

by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2019 2:48 AM

WHAT IS UP with hacienda-style houses and iron bars over the windows on the upper floors???

by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2019 6:46 AM

r29, it's to protect the girls' innocence so no boys can enter that way or the girls can't give in to temptation and sneak out of the house.

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2019 8:05 AM

A house "ON" SF?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2019 11:04 AM

The neighborhood is Lone Mountain. The original owner had all the land in the area and sold off parcels for development. The lot is double wide. The houses and apartments on the block are nothing compared to this property. Something has changed in SF, every single thing used to get snatched up in minutes and this has been on the market since June I think.

The house is pretty cool, I went to an open house recently and I LOVE all the tile that people want to rip out. Bastards. Love the jack-n-Jill bathrooms, the bar, art studio and in-law apartment with multiple terraces for gracious living, I'd put in a hot tub somewhere. I need to buy a lottery ticket.

by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2019 2:55 PM

Now reduced to and even $5 million!

by Anonymousreply 33December 18, 2019 9:39 PM

Doesn't look so beautiful when the photos haven't been color enhanced to hell and back, does it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 18, 2019 9:46 PM

The exterior is good and it's a decent size for the price giving it's right in the heart of SF. Too bad the kitchen is full of Home Depot appliances and ugly cabinets. That's really tacky for a house in that price range. But that could be fixed.

by Anonymousreply 35December 18, 2019 9:51 PM

"I'd replace the terra-cotta floors and painted tile. "

Well I'd add more! I'd rip out the wood flooring in some of the room, and put in beautiful Mexican tiles! Make the damn place less generic, not more!

Seriously, if I HAD to live in SF and had $5 mil to spend, I'd strongly consider the place. It's quite lovely, and the area is as liveable as SF gets.

by Anonymousreply 36December 18, 2019 9:51 PM

At least it's got a big bank of solar panels on the roof, possibly enough to power the whole place. That's a MAJOR plus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 18, 2019 9:51 PM

R36, the tile flooring only works well in homes that are original, well preserved “haciendas”, or in homes that are built to closely resemble one.

The tile flooring was used because a) the materials used to craft the tiles, were easily accessible, since they were natural resources in the environments in which these hacienda homes were built, and more importantly, because the tiles were easy to clean via a decent rainfall, (as many haciendas were designed to incorporate enclosed, indoor/outdoor living quarters, hence, rain exposure), or easily clean with a broom and a bucket of water.

These authentic, hacienda homes, originate from a time when people didn’t have paved streets, cement sidewalks, or rain gutters. People walked in to their homes wearing shoes/boots that tracked in dirt, and oftentimes, even tying up their horses or miles up to their outdoor posts. Sewage systems and modern day sewage systems and infrastructure had not yet developed or even existed, in some cases, so it was important to use flooring materials that were easily sanitized if flooding occurred. And most importantly, the terra-cotta/clay tiles, absorbed heat well, as many areas, especially Mexico and the American Southwest, are desert, and hot AF.

I love the Spanish villa depicted in FRIEDA. Beautiful example of what these homes originally looked like.

There’s absolutely no reason to build a modern home, with indoor, terra-cotta tiles flooring. It’s tacky, an inconvenient, un-smooth surface, which looks HIDEOUS with any furniture not made or designed as authentic period pieces. Anything from Pottery Barn, or from wherever people buy their shitty furniture from nowadays, will look like more shit, in a home that was already made to look shitty, not to mention looking incredibly cheap, as well.

Hardwood floors, particularly wide plank, dark stained boards, fixed in place with specific, period hardware, used which to secure/install the boards/flooring, would have been a better and aesthetically pleasing option.

Just say “NO MAS, Cabrones!”, to tacky, indoor tiles!

Doesn’t anyone know how to do interior design correctly, anymore? Ugh.

Kahlo’s and Rivera’s home (the Blue House, or La Casa Azul), pictured below @ link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 19, 2019 2:54 PM

Reduced again! Now just $4.4 million!

by Anonymousreply 39February 14, 2020 2:56 AM

Current or previous owners?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 14, 2020 3:04 AM

Looks like something out of an episode of Mannix or Cannon.

by Anonymousreply 41February 14, 2020 3:07 AM

It's close to USF, so you could have a hot Catholic undergrad as a "boarder" (with privileges of course.)

by Anonymousreply 42February 14, 2020 3:37 AM

It must be wonderful to live somewhere with such beautiful views. I love the exterior of the house, but not much of the interior works, especially the random upgrades and very mixed flooring.

by Anonymousreply 43February 14, 2020 3:47 AM

I told my bf it looked like it was staged by Sylvia Plath.

by Anonymousreply 44February 14, 2020 3:58 AM

SOLD! 2/13/20 $4,400,000

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 6, 2020 7:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!