Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's Oscar season again!

Scarlet! Joaquin! Meryl of course! The festivals are starting!

by Anonymousreply 70September 19, 2019 11:25 PM

After that fucking Rami freaks endless bullshit postings last year made me hate the little fuck, I wonder what light weight talent I will loath with a passion after this Award season.....

by Anonymousreply 1September 2, 2019 6:25 AM

Every year in the last 5 or so keeps getting worse and worse. Rami Malek?? Olivia Colman?? Casey Affleck?? It's no wonder why viewership is plummeting., The academy is becoming a joke.

by Anonymousreply 2September 2, 2019 6:42 AM

What overrated, supernal piece of crap is M being talked up for THIS time?

by Anonymousreply 3September 2, 2019 6:44 AM

I love you r2.

by Anonymousreply 4September 2, 2019 6:45 AM

oops I meant r3 although you have a good point too r2

Olivia Colman. Horse faced supporting actress stealing my lead award.

by Anonymousreply 5September 2, 2019 6:46 AM

It's NOT Oscar season, moron.

You're just desperate to be the FIRST person to start an Oscar thread, because you're an attention whore, and you want to try to beat other threads to the punch.

Oscar "season" doesn't start until January, and the awards are nearly seven months away.

FREAK.

by Anonymousreply 6September 2, 2019 6:49 AM

It's State Fair Season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 2, 2019 6:52 AM

r6 got triggered (and MARY!)

by Anonymousreply 8September 2, 2019 6:58 AM

[quote] You're just desperate to be the FIRST person to start an Oscar thread, because you're an attention whore, and you want to try to beat other threads to the punch.

It's true, though.

Attention whores like op start threads 6 months in advance.

Then in January, when someone innocently starts an "Oscar thread," the OP will come SCREECHING in on that thread and declare, "THERE IS ALREADY AN OSCAR THREAD!!! DO A SEARCH!!!"

Little did anyone else know, that the moron started the thread at the beginning of September.

That's how desperate and obnoxious some posters here are.

by Anonymousreply 9September 2, 2019 7:17 AM

You sound insane r9.

This weekend was the Venice and Telluride Film Festivals. Twiiter has been ablaze with reviews of films and who has a potential to be nominated. TIFF is in the next weeks and that was where stuff like Green Book emerged last year.

Oscar season has started. Just ignore this thread if it bothers you so much.

by Anonymousreply 10September 2, 2019 7:23 AM

R10 Exactly, reviews for Oscar bait films are hitting now, not fucking January. R9 seems embittered and a Loon

by Anonymousreply 11September 2, 2019 7:40 AM

My latest rave review:

"though, Soderbergh lets his lead actress take over, turning the film into a grand tour de Streep"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 2, 2019 7:45 AM

Will this be 22 or 23? I can't keep track.

by Anonymousreply 13September 2, 2019 7:46 AM

The trailer for The Laundromat looks like absolute shit. I can’t believe Streep would get nominated for that.

by Anonymousreply 14September 2, 2019 7:47 AM

Underestimate Meryl at your own risk. They'll nominate her for anything, and she's won for films with lesser talents than this one.

by Anonymousreply 15September 2, 2019 4:46 PM

So is Joker taking it all or what? Honestly, it would be nice to see Joaquin with an Oscar. Seems like the industry wants to give it to him.

by Anonymousreply 16September 8, 2019 2:16 AM

Just like Christmas it starts earlier and earlier each year. Can't we just enjoy Thanksgiving,

by Anonymousreply 17September 8, 2019 2:21 AM

The Oscars are earlier than usual. Feb 9, 2020.

by Anonymousreply 18September 8, 2019 2:28 AM

[quote]So is Joker taking it all or what?

Right now, it looks like "Joker" and "Once Upon a Time in LA" are the top contenders, and possibly "The Irishman."

I think Joaquin moves to the head of the Best Actor pack, followed by Leo Di Caprio, Adam Driver, and De Niro. Will they want to give Leo a second so soon after the first to make up for letting him lose for such a long time? Or to Joaquin finally? Or, to DeNiro a third to put him on par with Meryl (one for supporting, two for lead)?

by Anonymousreply 19September 9, 2019 12:00 AM

Get ready, bitches! I won't just be presenting on February 9th!

by Anonymousreply 20September 9, 2019 1:07 AM

[quote] It's State Fair Season.

No one's booked me this year. I wonder why.

by Anonymousreply 21September 9, 2019 1:11 AM

Actress seems less competitive (poor Glenn).

Scarjo is annoying. I hope she doesn't win. (her recent statements supporting Woody Allen won't help.)

There is Cynthia Ervivo in Harriet but people on the theater threads seem to dislike her. (arrogant supposedly.)

by Anonymousreply 22September 9, 2019 1:18 AM

I hope Cynthia doesn't win. That part was MINE!

by Anonymousreply 23September 9, 2019 1:27 AM

Jennifer Lopez is getting raves and Oscar buzz for her performance in Hustlers.

by Anonymousreply 24September 9, 2019 1:31 AM

R14 With the exception of The Post, you just described every one of Meryl's nominations post Prada.

by Anonymousreply 25September 9, 2019 1:34 AM

Please. Lopez isn't getting shit. It's all hype.

by Anonymousreply 26September 9, 2019 1:36 AM

Hustlers might be getting good reviews, but it’s just not going to be an Academy thing. It reminds me of when people thought McConaughey might get a nomination for Magic Mike, which would have been very deserving but was never going to happen.

If the comparison holds, this mean that J. Lo will win an Oscar next year for a movie about AIDS. With her reputation, though, she’ll have to play AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 27September 9, 2019 2:09 AM

Maybe... stranger things have happened. I assume she'd be in supporting? Who are the promising candidates in that category?

Apparently Goldfinch is a dud... and to be honest that's exactly what it looked like... antiquated mid 2000s Oscar bait.

by Anonymousreply 28September 9, 2019 2:10 AM

Do you think they'll split Leo and Brad up for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and put Brad in for Supporting Actor? If Joaquin comes on strong for the Joker, that might force their hand, otherwise OUaTiH won't win anything.

by Anonymousreply 29September 9, 2019 2:47 AM

Scarlet Johansson seems like she has autism. Same stare into the camera like trying to hard to communicate by eyes.

by Anonymousreply 30September 9, 2019 2:53 AM

Brad'll have to go supporting at this point, especially if they want him to win anything. Joaquin's probably got more heat when it comes to Best Actor. If I were Brad, I'd just campaign in supporting and win my second Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 31September 9, 2019 3:17 AM

Seriously? An Oscar? For JHo?!

by Anonymousreply 32September 9, 2019 7:59 AM

The reviews for Hustlers and especially for JLo are excellent. Far better than for "Magic Mike," which had no festival buzz at all. It was a summer flick, and that's it.

Right now, Renee leads the pack for actress, followed by Cynthia Erivo and Awkwafina. Lots of attention for Oscar regular Saoirse Ronan for Little Women. I think Scarlett Johansson's comments about Woody Allen may hurt her. Alfre Woodard for "Clemency" could be a possible, she's popular with her peers. Charlize Theron might be possible if "Bombshell" turns out to be good.

by Anonymousreply 33September 9, 2019 9:26 AM

Hustlers is in overdrive with press. Multiple times per day my inbox is inundated with shit about J.Lo's "process" or how the director wanted to " have fun" etc. Variety, Deadline, The Wrap, Hollywood Reporter, all of them are gobbling up the press releases like crazy.

Once it dies down, so will any talk of Oscar for Lopez.

by Anonymousreply 34September 9, 2019 4:51 PM

When's the last time a performance was super hyped and ultimately snubbed?

by Anonymousreply 35September 9, 2019 6:12 PM

All the time. Shit, I can think of a bunch from last year alone. I believe last year this time Saorise Ronan was being touted as one of the front runners for Mary Queen of Scots. As was Margot for supporting, and her hype went a lot further into the season. There was also the aforementioned Widows and Viola Davis and Elizabeth Debicki. Hell, even Jamie Lee Curtis was hyped for a nomination when Halloween came out last year.

There was also Timothee Chalamet who everyone was assuring us was going to be nominated for Beautiful Boy. And lots of talk for John David Washington for Black Klansman.

If you want to go back to 2017, there was Holly Hunter for The Big Sick, Annette Bening for Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool and James Franco for The Disaster Artist. You could maybe blame #MeToo for that, though it happened on the cusp of the close of voting, so there's no proof it influenced the omission of the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 36September 9, 2019 7:15 PM

r36, with the exception of Debicki, the rest truly were all hyped excessively. Debicki absolutely deserved a Supporting Actress nomination. She easily should've taken the slots of either Amy Adams or Marina de Tavira.

by Anonymousreply 37September 9, 2019 7:50 PM

Debicki was great in Widows. I'd have been okay with a Viola nomination as well. Honestly, I thought that was a great film... shame it was completely ignored by the Oscars.

R36 Thanks for the flashbacks... yeah, it actually happens all the time hahaha.

by Anonymousreply 38September 9, 2019 8:20 PM

Claire Foy in First Man was another performance people thought was a shoo-in after it premiered at ... TIFF I think?

by Anonymousreply 39September 9, 2019 8:21 PM

I was hyped and lost to some twitchy horse faced British woman.

by Anonymousreply 40September 9, 2019 8:58 PM

I think Brad has an excellent shot if he goes for Supporting, even though the role was really a co-lead. But category fraud is nothing new at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 41September 9, 2019 9:06 PM

Oh please, shut up with the "category fraud" bullshit. Save your outrage for something important, not which category an actor goes into for an award.

by Anonymousreply 42September 10, 2019 12:02 AM

It’s going to be Renee.

by Anonymousreply 43September 10, 2019 12:05 AM

Renee will be another Natalie Portman in Jackie. Academy voters will say, “Good job, but you already have an Oscar and we’re just not into the movie.”

And then she’ll lose to ScarJo or Saoirse (assuming Little Women lives up to expectations).

by Anonymousreply 44September 10, 2019 2:22 AM

I can definitely see that narrative happening, R44. I don't know that anyone's ever wanted to give her a second Oscar, especially when the Academy already made the Chicago snub up to her with Cold Mountain. Honestly, at most we've just wanted to see her in another good movie. That it seems like she's at least giving an impressive performance in a vehicle that shows her off.

by Anonymousreply 45September 10, 2019 2:42 AM

So we have Tom Hanks as Mr Rogers it's a given he'll be nominated. Joaquin Phoenix is definite. Brad and Leo, then there's The Irishman starring De Niro and Pacino. Are there no cool Indie movies out there?

by Anonymousreply 46September 10, 2019 2:53 AM

The Farewell seems to be the summer indie movie with the best shot at earning a few nominations (Picture, Actress, Supporting Actress and Screenplay are all possible, if not all probable). Waves (by the director of Krisha and It Comes at Night) also got great notices out of the festival circuit, so pay attention to that one once it is released.

by Anonymousreply 47September 10, 2019 3:03 AM

I'm so excited for Waves. That hypnotic use of Frank Ocean in the trailer. The Moonlight-esque imagery. The cinematography was actually done by one of the DPs that shot Euphoria. One of the actresses from the show is in the film as well. It just looks like such an experience... definitely excited for it.

Is The Lighthouse an indie? It may ultimately be too weird for the Academy, but they may go for the cinematography at least... and they've been in love with Willem Dafoe lately, so they may shine some light onto the performances.

Man... I mean, there's always buzz around Tom Hanks performances. The film's been well received and he'll be campaigning in supporting actor, which may help his chances. That they didn't go for Captain Phillips and haven't nominated him since Castaway is truly strange. You'd think they'd be tossing him nominations like Meryl Streep.

by Anonymousreply 48September 10, 2019 3:25 AM

r42 this is an Oscar thread not a summit on global warming

by Anonymousreply 49September 10, 2019 3:32 AM

It is strange that the Academy went cold on Hanks, while still liking his movies. I much prefer some of his recent work to what he did in the nineties when they gave him back-to-back Oscars. But he seems satisfied to have his two wins, and doesn’t seem to really campaign for himself, which probably makes a difference. No one but Rita Wilson feels compelled to rank him number one on their Oscar ballots, I guess.

I think Dafoe has a good shot for The Lighthouse. He’s got in for a strange movie that wasn’t to Academy tastes in the era when they nominated Chocolat, so he should have less of a problem now that they’re both more adventurous and on a Dafoe kick.

by Anonymousreply 50September 10, 2019 3:48 AM

[quote] [R36] Thanks for the flashbacks... yeah, it actually happens all the time hahaha.

You bet. : )

by Anonymousreply 51September 10, 2019 4:43 AM

[quote] I'm so excited for Waves. That hypnotic use of Frank Ocean in the trailer. The Moonlight-esque imagery. The cinematography was actually done by one of the DPs that shot Euphoria. One of the actresses from the show is in the film as well. It just looks like such an experience... definitely excited for it.

I fucking loathe that director. Krishna and It Comes at Night have been two of the worst films made in the past ten years. I don't give a fuck about anything he does from now on.

by Anonymousreply 52September 10, 2019 4:45 AM

There's a movie coming out with Michael B. Jordan, Brie Larson, and Jamie Foxx that looks like a sure bet for several nominations. True story, too, called Just Mercy. And the Harriet Tubman movie is another historical drama sure to gain attention.

by Anonymousreply 53September 10, 2019 4:21 PM

Just Mercy looks lightweight... I mean it could be better than it looks, but at most I'm thinking Foxx gets attention. The Harriet Tubman film looks pretty obvious. I can ultimately see it getting nothing, but perhaps Erivo will get buzz?

by Anonymousreply 54September 10, 2019 4:23 PM

I thought Ellen was the best host. If they use a host, it should be her.

by Anonymousreply 55September 10, 2019 8:08 PM

Harriet's premiered tonight and reaction has been mixed to negative on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 56September 11, 2019 3:46 AM

[quote]Right now, Renee leads the pack for actress, followed by Cynthia Erivo and Awkwafina.

Yeah, that’s not happening. Renee isn’t the front runner by any stretch, that goes to ScarJo... for now. Harriet is getting bad reviews and already came in with negativity over the casting of a Brit actress to play an iconic African American— something that keeps on happening and black American actors and filmmakers are done with this shit and speaking up. Awkwafina? The only person getting notice in that movie was the grandmother. And that’s if anyone even remembers it come January. The Big Sick that movie was not.

by Anonymousreply 57September 11, 2019 3:57 AM

Yeah, the Harriet film looked way on the nose. "Welcome to the Underground Railroad." Come on, people. We can do better.

by Anonymousreply 58September 11, 2019 4:13 AM

Saw Ford v. Ferrari at TIFF today. It's good. Matt Damon is great, Christian Bale has given this type of performance before.

It's a standard biopic about race cars, and in my opinion, Ron Howard's underrated Rush is a superior film.

I'm not sure it's going to get Best Pic nomination but I hope Tracy Letts is nominated. He is absolutely perfect as Henry Ford Jr.

by Anonymousreply 59September 11, 2019 4:16 AM

Tracy Letts will be in both Ford v. Ferrari as well as Little Women, so he'll definitely have some presence this season, and I've heard especially good things about his performance in FvF. He'd be like another Rylance type, right? Someone who's known and respected primarily for their work in the theatre.

I thought he was wonderfully subtle and moving in Lady Bird.

by Anonymousreply 60September 11, 2019 4:34 AM

Yeah, he's extremely versatile r60. I couldn't believe it was the same actor from Lady Bird. He played Ford with such authority and was so intimidating yet showed some vulnerability (in one spectacular scene), such a 180 degree turn from LB. In man ways I wish the film had been about him because Letts brought the film to life whenever he was on screen.

by Anonymousreply 61September 11, 2019 6:07 AM

Waves is getting buzz at TIFF although the audience I saw it with was getting impatient. But weirdly they added another screening.

Sterling K. Brown will most likely be nominated for supporting. I thought the actors who played the teens in the film were excellent - Kelvin Harrison Jr and Taylor Russell.

by Anonymousreply 62September 13, 2019 3:13 AM

These bitches are all thanking God that Gaga didn’t do a movie this year

by Anonymousreply 63September 13, 2019 3:32 AM

The Farewell is a contender and clearly making the top ten.

by Anonymousreply 64September 13, 2019 3:41 AM

nah r63

by Anonymousreply 65September 13, 2019 5:21 AM

OP = Worse Than Hitler

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 13, 2019 5:25 AM

After a thunderous ovation at TIFF, Renee is the front runner for Best Actress.....and she deserves it

by Anonymousreply 67September 13, 2019 5:28 AM

Alright, what's everyone think of Todd Haynes' upcoming Dark Waters? Seems... a wee bit mawkish, not as slick as Michael Clayton. There's something entertaining about a pudgy Mark Ruffalo, and Anne Hathaway is capital A acting. Seems to lack the tender touch that makes Haynes' films so appealing. Who knows... didn't debut at any festivals as far as I know, so it's just... coming out. Seems like it'd be buzzy. Thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 19, 2019 11:07 PM

Also, I want an Original Screenplay nomination for Rian Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 69September 19, 2019 11:09 PM

My anus is puckering with excitement.

by Anonymousreply 70September 19, 2019 11:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!